New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Amazingly Stupid Idea about Belkar

Is it possible that when Belkar was foretold that he was not long for this world... Will that maybe mean that he's simply shedding his mortal form and actually become a sexy shoe less god of war?

What if the Snarl kills one of the gods and Belkar will replace him?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Amazingly Stupid Idea about Belkar

Forum posters aside, nearly everyone in the world where Belkar exists despises him if they have any opinion of him at all. Why would he become a god?

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Forum posters aside, nearly everyone in the world where Belkar exists despises him if they have any opinion of him at all. Why would he become a god?

Well, either he'll do something worthy of worship near the end, or possibly he'll inherit believers from whatever god will be wiped out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't think belief works that way.

"I worship Tyr, God of War, who would see the world torn to shreds rather than let anyone gain a strategic advantage over us--I mean, Belkar, God of War, who stabs everyone and likes to hear ogres fall over!"

5. - Top - End - #5

Maybe Belkar will get hold of the Blades of Chaos and kill the god of war, in his quest for revenge. Thus, becoming the god of war himself.

Wait a second....
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Woah woah WOAH! Belkar is the best "tagonist" since Tasslehoff, the Grey Mouser, and Vizzini that I've ever seen! I know I'm a total fanboy, but come on? How can you not like him?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Woah woah WOAH! Belkar is the best "tagonist" since Tasslehoff, the Grey Mouser, and Vizzini that I've ever seen! I know I'm a total fanboy, but come on? How can you not like him?
    Forum posters aside
    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

A deified Belkar? They're fighting Hel to make the divine scene better, not worse.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Amazingly Stupid Idea about Belkar

as long as we are floating crazy.

You have been here for a while right crazy is the reason for the forum.

What if he does not breathe in this realm of Order of the stick. If he goes into the second world then he breathe's no longer but is still alive.

I seem to remember Rich saying something about Belkar leaving order of the stick , lamented about comedy gold about following him to the after life not being drawn.

Not sure what book but pretty sure it was the where the Oracle appears for the first time
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    A deified Belkar? They're fighting Hel to make the divine scene better, not worse.
    Maintain the current status quo is more like it. They aren't trying to destroy Hel, just trying to stop the vote from going her way.

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post

I seem to remember Rich saying something about Belkar leaving order of the stick , lamented about comedy gold about following him to the after life not being drawn.

Not sure what book but pretty sure it was the where the Oracle appears for the first time

I can't find it after a quick search, but I believe the quote you're referring to was along the lines of "If Belkar ever does die, the story would still follow him in the afterlife". Not lamenting the loss of comedic potential. After all, he's writing the story, nothing would stop him from doing "Belkar in the Chaotic Evil afterlife" strips.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I like the Belkar becomes a demi-god of war theme, raised up into a pantheon of Chaotic something (CN? CE?) and hanging out on a mountain. That might be "the top of the heap" (enough) to fit panels 9 and 10 of this strip's declaration of team Bitterleaf as he chats with Mr Scruffy over lunch:
    Everyone tried so hard to block my path -- and in the end, all they really did was force me to learn how to climb mountains. All the better from which to pee on them, heh.

Anyway, it's you and me from now on pal. We're in this to the top of the heap or bust until the very, very end.
    Provisional conclusion:

Belkar remains with the Order until the end of book 7. As a result of the bizarre and powerful magic unleashed in the final battle, he ascends into some pantheon (North?) as the sexy shoeless god of war ... where he mostly resides on top of a mountain ... and brings on the occasional golden rain upon the just and unjust alike when he's not busy doing demigod of war stuff (whatever that is).

FWIW, if you go back to AD&D 1e and the BECMI D&D versions of the game, at sufficiently high levels the player characters get so powerful that they can become demigods or something like that. (The Immortal version was a more fleshed out rendering of that than the 1e version). I realize that Rich does not feel bound by such frameworks and this strip is mostly 3.5 themed, but it fits. (I don't know if 3.5 had something like the I version of BECMI since I stopped buying books in that system a while back).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-02-02 at 08:31 AM.