New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transhumanism

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Transhumanism

Anyone here a transhumanist? If so post below.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Transhumanism

I can't say I have achieved transhumanism in any way, but I'm well aware of it. To be honest - I think it's the next natural step in the evolution of a human. Technology is advancing at the speed of light - just think how our lifes changed in the last 15 years...
    Last edited by Evern99; 2017-07-27 at 01:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nope, still human. Are you expecting such a creature to lose the "human" trait and gain the "elf" or "outsider" trait?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evern99 View Post
    I can't say I have achieved transhumanism in any way, but I'm well aware of it. To be honest - I think it's the next natural step in the evolution of a human. Technology is advancing at the speed of light - just think how our lifes changed in the last 15 years...
    Same here. Considering its nearly impossible for us to predict what Technology is going to look like at the end of the next decade, i feel its only inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

confused Re: Transhumanism

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Same here. Considering its nearly impossible for us to predict what Technology is going to look like at the end of the next decade, i feel its only inevitable.

Wouldn't technological developments indeterminacy mean the opposite of inevitability? Like with the excruciatingly slow development of battery capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post

Wouldn't technological developments indeterminacy mean the opposite of inevitability? Like with the excruciatingly slow development of battery capacity.
    Ok, inevitable is a bad word choice. Highly likely is better. Now, when is the stickler.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think OP meant to say "otherkin".
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    I think OP meant to say "otherkin".
    That's more posthumanism than transhumanism.

9. - Top - End - #9

Would it be wrong to say that anyone who has extented their lives with antibiotics or surgery, or enhances their senses with contact lenses or just normal glasses or hearing aids, already is at least a little bit of transhumanist wether they realize it or not?
    Well that was awkward.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Would it be wrong to say that anyone who has extented their lives with antibiotics or surgery, or enhances their senses with contact lenses or just normal glasses or hearing aids, already is at least a little bit of transhumanist wether they realize it or not?
    This is a philosophical point, but I don't think any of those distance the user too far from a fundamental baseline humanity. For my money, the first proper post-humans we'll see will be AIs instead of radically altered humans.

Someone interested in the first steps towards post-humans of biological human descent might want to look into biohacking. (Both modes of thought listed from the wiki link might work.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I wear glasses and use artificial compounds in order to breathe, so yes.

I am also a proponent of using technology to transcend the human condition, so I'm also a transhumanist in the philosophical sense the OP was almost certainly asking about.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Nope, still human. Are you expecting such a creature to lose the "human" trait and gain the "elf" or "outsider" trait?
    That's a matter of contention between transhumanists, personally I want to stay human, but I wouldn't say no to a few extra skill or attribute points.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

transhumans generally don't get dual inheritance theory. humans primarily evolve now through cultures. interesting, it's been shown that many whales also have inherited cultures

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

That bit from Nitche (spelt?) about humans being the bridge between prehumans and superhumans? it's true of every species ever, all the time. Human is what we currently are, ten thousand years from now the people will be human, and we will have been prehuman.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That bit from Nitche (spelt?) about humans being the bridge between prehumans and superhumans? it's true of every species ever, all the time. Human is what we currently are, ten thousand years from now the people will be human, and we will have been prehuman.
    By Nitche do you mean Friedrich Nietzsche?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalias View Post
    By Nitche do you mean Friedrich Nietzsche?
    If he's the famous one, then almost certainly yes.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tantric View Post
    transhumans generally don't get dual inheritance theory. humans primarily evolve now through cultures. interesting, it's been shown that many whales also have inherited cultures
    I don't really see how that would apply to transhumanism, can you elaborate?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I don't really see how that would apply to transhumanism, can you elaborate?
    Ya, i'm not seeing it either.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

After some days of research... I still don't get what defines transhumanists as a whole. Before research, I had some looney picture of people wanting to become mutants/cyborgs/immortal AIs or something something; so it's not really true that my research has served no purpose for me

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    After some days of research... I still don't get what defines transhumanists as a whole. Before research, I had some looney picture of people wanting to become mutants/cyborgs/immortal AIs or something something; so it's not really true that my research has served no purpose for me
    It's a loosely defined movement, basically what it boils down to is people using technology to improve humanity, whether that means becoming one with the machcine, eliminating genetic defects, or even just getting a new arm is up to the individual. Within that subcategory you have the posthumanists, the anarchists, the libertarians, the grinders (people who do stuff like implanting magnets into their fingertips.), etc.

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateGirl

I am a transhumanist. I chemically alter my food to make it safer and make use of artificial skins. I use blades to remove pieces of my body I find undesirable and I regularly excise biofilms I don't want. I'm very old.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

22. - Top - End - #22

the grinders (people who do stuff like implanting magnets into their fingertips.), etc.
    Why? That is so dumb. You wouldn't be able to properly operate a lot of things like touch screens, which are becoming the norm for everything nowadays. Or certain elevators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    Why? That is so dumb. You wouldn't be able to properly operate a lot of things like touch screens, which are becoming the norm for everything nowadays. Or certain elevators.
    A small magnet in your fingertip lets you feel magnetic fields. You only need one (maybe two if you want to do anything USEFUL your your magnetoreception), so you can just use your other fingers for touch screens.

I'm not entirely convinced a weak magnet would even interfere with a capacitive touch screen that much.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #24

SamuraiGuy

It's a loosely defined movement, basically what it boils down to is people using technology to improve humanity, whether that means becoming one with the machcine, eliminating genetic defects, or even just getting a new arm is up to the individual. Within that subcategory you have the posthumanists, the anarchists, the libertarians, the grinders (people who do stuff like implanting magnets into their fingertips.), etc.
    Yeah, I got that part. But, taking aside the "eternal life" issue, isn't that what scientists already do, broadly speaking? That's why I have trouble figuring out what truly defines people within the movement; because most of the things they claim are just sensible claims in essence. So I have trouble differentiating a "strong supporter of rationalism and scientific development" (say, like me) from a true "transhumanist".

I mean, most of the claims they do are simply rational claims, except some of them are taken up to eleven (e.g.: genetic engineering of superficial traits instead of just "real" negative defects). Also, we already are terribly dependant on technology and the digital era is already reshaping our society. It's not even a new trend, and even back in the early era of the past century (post-war sci-fy), it was fairly obvious for general public and kind of taken for granted. But I doubt hardcore fans of sci-fy, or even Isaac Asimov would qualify as transhumanists necessarily. So far, the only part of the definition that makes me think people like me are not a transhumanists, is that maybe we don't want to live forever; or at least we think there are more relevant issues than the preservation of mere individuals.

I don't think it's not nice to have a specific term for a certain kind of "extremists" so they aren't confused with their "softcore" peers; but I think its kind of hard to define yourself as a "transhumanist" and not just... for example, a "liberal rationalist". At least, other ill defined groups like Atheists, have a single, well defined, distinctive characteristic, instead of some undetermined set of core beliefs that isn't upheld by everyone inside the category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    A small magnet in your fingertip lets you feel magnetic fields. You only need one (maybe two if you want to do anything USEFUL your your magnetoreception), so you can just use your other fingers for touch screens.
    Why would you even want to do that? There are more efficient means for migration, say... a plane ticket
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced a weak magnet would even interfere with a capacitive touch screen that much.
    I heard there's this new way of data storage based on revamped floppy-disk technology...
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2017-08-03 at 01:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Yeah, I got that part. But, taking aside the "eternal life" issue, isn't that what scientists already do, broadly speaking? That's why I have trouble figuring out what truly defines people within the movement; because most of the things they claim are just sensible claims in essence. So I have trouble differentiating a "strong supporter of rationalism and scientific development" (say, like me) from a true "transhumanist".

I mean, most of the claims they do are simply rational claims, except some of them are taken up to eleven (e.g.: genetic engineering of superficial traits instead of just "real" negative defects). Also, we already are terribly dependant on technology and the digital era is already reshaping our society. It's not even a new trend, and even back in the early era of the past century (post-war sci-fy), it was fairly obvious for general public and kind of taken for granted. But I doubt hardcore fans of sci-fy, or even Isaac Asimov would qualify as transhumanists necessarily. So far, the only part of the definition that makes me think people like me are not a transhumanists, is that maybe we don't want to live forever; or at least we think there are more relevant issues than the preservation of mere individuals.

I don't think it's not nice to have a specific term for a certain kind of "extremists" so they aren't confused with their "softcore" peers; but I think its kind of hard to define yourself as a "transhumanist" and not just... for example, a "liberal rationalist". At least, other ill defined groups like Atheists, have a single, well defined, distinctive characteristic, instead of some undetermined set of core beliefs that isn't upheld by everyone inside the category.

Why would you even want to do that? There are more efficient means for migration, say... a plane ticket

I heard there's this new way of data storage based on revamped floppy-disk technology...
    I feel like you're getting hung up on what exactly a "true" transhumanist is. You talk about how what scientists do could be considered transhumanism, I would say that while scientists create these technologies it is transhumanists that consume them and encourage their growth/responsible use. You say you're a strong supporter of rationalism and the scientific progress, and in my book that makes you a transhumanist, again loose movement. Wikipedia states that "Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international and intellectual movement that aims to transform the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellect and physiology.[1][2]

Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human as well as ethical[3] limitations of using such technologies.[4] The most common transhumanist thesis is that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into different beings with abilities so greatly expanded from the natural condition as to merit the label of posthuman beings.[2]

Immortality isn't required to be a proponent of transhumanism, it's just the one with the most widespread appeal, and as such the one leaders of the movement have decided to latch onto. Finally I think the word for more radical transhumanists Is posthumanists, as in people who want to leave humanity behind rather than improving it.

Sorry if this ramble a bit, I wrote it piecemeal between driving several places.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Former Transhumanist here.

In essence, the common seperation between a Transhumanist and the common population is two key points. 1.) Elevation of Cybernetics (The scholarly concept of treating the Human body as a machine that can be engineered for better or alternative function. Rather than the common idea of grafting robot parts onto people.) to a defining cultural belief. 2.) Belief that one can evolve 'past' being Human due to said engineering.

While I still hold to the first, Cybernetics is just the way things ARE. Your body is a machine whether you want it to be or not, and you only do yourself a disservice by insisting it isn't, I have come to Vehemently disagree with the second.

You cannot evolve 'past' being human. Any 'higher form' you could become, would by it's very nature be Human.

And honestly, you're quite right. The more useful aspects of Transhumanism have already been integrated with the more educated parts of western culture. It's all more or Less Kurzweil and his crazy immortality talk now. You get other aspects of course, but that's the biggest faction.
    Last edited by druid91; 2017-08-03 at 07:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Why aren't you a transhumanism anymore?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Why aren't you a transhumanism anymore?
    Exactly like I said. I vehemently disagree with the notion that it's possible to be more than human. It's possible to add functionality onto a Human, but there's no categorical shift that can be made. It's divisive nonsense for the sake of stroking certain peoples egos.

Combined with the personal belief that Transhumanism as an ideology has all but hit it's natural end point. It's axioms are accepted by those who are in the know as implicit truth. At that point is there really a need for the faction to exist to press that truth?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry, I kind of skimmed what you wrote and I missed that bit. Personally I don't think transhumanism is even close to being done as a philosophy, most of the technologies being talked about are rudimentary or theoretical and questions concerning their use are sure to be addressed in the next few years.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, I kind of skimmed what you wrote and I missed that bit. Personally I don't think transhumanism is even close to being done as a philosophy, most of the technologies being talked about are rudimentary or theoretical and questions concerning their use are sure to be addressed in the next few years.
    The technologies are beside the point. It's the concept that matters. That "Hey, it's ok to treat the human body like a machine to be engineered." and our entire modern medical system is BASED on this presumption.
    Spoiler
    Show