New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Assortment of Feats (3.5 Feats, PEACH)

Feat: Skillful
    Prerequisites: Int 13
    Benefit: Pick any three skills. These are now class skills for you no matter what class you choose.

Feat: Zen Fist
    Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), Wis 15
    Benefits: Your attacks are done at the perfect time, in the perfect spot, determined by your calm mind. Your unarmed attacks may use your Wisdom modifier instead of you Strength modifier to as a bonus on your attack and damage rolls. Additionally, any Monk with this feat may use their Wisdom modifier in place of their Strength or Dexterity modifiers for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

Feat: Ghost Fist
    Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), Improved Unarmed Strike, Wis 13
    Benefits: Your attacks are far more effective against ghosts and incorporeal creatures. Your unarmed strikes are all treated as having the Ghost Touch special quality from now on.

Feat: Fist of the Incorporeal
    Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), Improved Unarmed Strike, Ghost Fist, Zen Fist, Wis 17
    Benefits: Your attacks surpass even the toughest of defenses. Treat all your unarmed attacks as touch attacks.

Feat: Improved Purity of Body
    Prerequisites: Purity of Body
    Benefits: You are now immune to magical diseases such as mummy rot and lycanthropy, in addition to the immunities granted by Purity of Body.

Feat: Improved Wholeness of Body
    Prerequisites: Wholeness of Body, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Wholeness of Body, with the following changes: a Monk may now heal himself of twice his Monk level times his Wisdom modifier hit points per day. Additionally, he may now use 10 points of this healing to heal one point of ability damage, or 25 points to heal a negative level.

Feat: Improved Abundant Step
    Prerequisites: Abundant Step, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Abundant Step, with the following changes: a Monk may now use this power a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Feat: Improved Quivering Palm
    Prerequisites: Quivering Palm, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Quivering Palm, with the following changes: a Monk may now use this ability a number of times equal to his Monk level per day. Additionally, the save DC increases by 2.

Feat: Ageless Body
    Prerequisites: Timeless Body
    Benefits: You cease to age entirely, and will never die of old age.

Feat: Improved Empty Body
    Prerequisites: Empty Body, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Empty Body, with the following changes: a Monk may now make himself ethereal for a number of rounds equal to his Monk level times his Wisdom modifier each day.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-10-14 at 09:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Assortment of Feats (3.5 Feats, PEACH)

These are overall very nice! Let me comment on each one separately:

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    Feat: Skillful
    Prerequisites: Int 13
    Benefit: Pick any three skills. These are now class skills for you no matter what class you choose.
    This one is nice, though you might want to know that UA has something like that already. I'd say drop the Int prerequisite, but since we have that UA feat already, you might as well keep it. Kingdoms of Kalamar had something like that too, but it gave skills equal to your Int modifier. Unless you have 18+ Int, yours is better, so keep it like that.

Feat: Zen Fist
    Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), Wis 15
    Benefits: Your attacks are done at the perfect time, in the perfect spot, determined by your calm mind. Your unarmed attacks may use your Wisdom modifier instead of you Strength modifier to as a bonus on your attack and damage rolls.
    This one will make Monk way too overpowered! Seriously now, I really like it! It makes Monks even more SAD, and they could really use the buff.

Feat: Ghost Fist
    Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), Improved Unarmed Strike, Wis 13
    Benefits: Your attacks are far more effective against ghosts and incorporeal creatures. Your unarmed strikes are all treated as having the Ghost Touch special quality from now on.

Feat: Fist of the Incorporeal
    Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), Improved Unarmed Strike, Ghost Fist, Zen Fist, Wis 17
    Benefits: Your attacks surpass even the toughest of defenses. Treat all your unarmed attacks as touch attacks.

Feat: Improved Purity of Body
    Prerequisites: Purity of Body
    Benefits: You are now immune to magical diseases such as mummy rot and lycanthropy, in addition to the immunities granted by Purity of Body.

Feat: Improved Abundant Step
    Prerequisites: Abundant Step, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Abundant Step, with the following changes: a Monk may now use this power a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Feat: Improved Quivering Palm
    Prerequisites: Quivering Palm, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Quivering Palm, with the following changes: a Monk may now use this ability a number of times equal to his Monk level per day. Additionally, the save DC increases by 2.

Feat: Improved Empty Body
    Prerequisites: Empty Body, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Empty Body, with the following changes: a Monk may now make himself ethereal for a number of rounds equal to his Monk level times his Wisdom modifier each day.
    These are all very nice, but having them all as feats sound a little silly to me. Are you sure you don't want to try making a Monk fix and giving it these for free? It would make way more sense, and would be a nice, if minor, buff to it.

Feat: Improved Wholeness of Body
    Prerequisites: Wholeness of Body, Wis 15
    Benefits: This functions exactly as Wholeness of Body, with the following changes: a Monk may now heal himself of twice his Monk level times his Wisdom modifier hit points per day. Additionally, he may now use 10 points of this healing to heal one point of ability damage, or 25 points to heal a negative level.
    I really like this one, though I can't really say how balanced it is.

Feat: Ageless Body
    Prerequisites: Timeless Body
    Benefits: You cease to age entirely. You no longer accrue benefits from aging, but you will never die of old age.
    The first part doesn't make sense. You accrue mental benefits from aging due to life experience, and that's the reason why most immortal/slow aging effects always stop body deterioration but keep the benefits from aging. I'd say drop this part completely. The second part is nice enough, but again, might not warrant a feat. I'd say fold it into the monk and leave it at that.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    This one will make Monk way too overpowered! Seriously now, I really like it! It makes Monks even more SAD, and they could really use the buff.
    What?
    Monks are terrible.
    Monks are even worse than terrible, honestly.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, I was contemplating how a Monk fix would work if all you did was give it bonus feats as a Fighter, with the option to choose from this list as well. Thoughts on that, Larkas?

As for the last feat, edited to make it "you never die of old age".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

wadledo, blue text totally isn't a common use for sarcasm. At least, Seerow does it, so I figure Larkas is doing the same thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Actually, I was contemplating how a Monk fix would work if all you did was give it bonus feats as a Fighter, with the option to choose from this list as well. Thoughts on that, Larkas?

As for the last feat, edited to make it "you never die of old age".
    Hmmmmm, let's see... To tell you the truth, a nice monk fix could rise from a Monk//Fighter gestalt: d10 hit dice, full BAB and bonus feats would do wonders for the monk. You might want to go from there. Adding these as "bonus monk feats" for a monk like this would be nice enough!

@wadledo: You must know that sarcasm is very easy to convey over text!
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-05-17 at 06:16 PM.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

@wadledo: You must know that sarcasm is very easy to convey over text!
    Sarcasm is all well and good, but it absolutely fails miserably when you say things like "It makes them even more SAD".
    Last edited by wadledo; 2012-05-17 at 06:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Sacrasm is all well and good, but it absolutely fails miserably when you say thinks like "It makes them even more SAD".
    You do know that SAD means Single Attribute Dependency right? It is actually a good thing, specially for a severely underpowered class like the monk. By making it need only Wis, it can dump pretty much anything else and pump only what is needed, which in this case means Wis primarily and Con secondarily.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

You do know that SAD means Single Attribute Dependency right? It is actually a good thing, specially for a severely underpowered class like the monk. By making it need only Wis, it can dump pretty much anything else and pump only what is needed, which in this case means Wis primarily and Con secondarily.
    Yes, but monks need Str, Dex, Con, Int, and Wis to be effective. They are not SAD, at all, so they can't be 'more' SAD.

This feat (which is basically a feat from BoED), just gets rid of Str, making them still very MAD.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Yes, but monks need Str, Dex, Con, Int, and Wis to be effective. They are not SAD, at all, so they can't be 'more' SAD.

This feat (which is basically a feat from BoED), just gets rid of Str, making them still very MAD.
    Seriously man, and I don't mean to be rude, but make an effort to understand what I'm saying. Anything that makes a class rely less on an attribute (Strength, in this case) makes it "more SAD", even if it is pretty much MAD. The simple fact that with this feat you can rely on your otherwise primary attribute for attacks and damage is a great boon for the Monk.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously man, and I don't mean to be rude, but make an effort to understand what I'm saying. Anything that makes a class rely less on an attribute (Strength, in this case) makes it "more SAD", even if it is pretty much MAD. The simple fact that with this feat you can rely on your otherwise primary attribute for attacks and damage is a great boon for the Monk.
    Oh, I see.
    You're using 'more SAD' not in the 'Even more' sense. I really wish you hadn't said even more in your original post then.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh, I see.
    You're using 'more SAD' not in the 'Even more' sense. I really wish you hadn't said even more in your original post then.
    The only way a class can become "even more SAD" is by being SAD in the first place, something the Monk certainly isn't. Sorry for the confusion. Anyways, let's not drag this even more off-topic, shall we?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-05-17 at 07:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Skillfull is an interesting alternative to dipping for skills.

I think all the monk feats are too weak for a feat, and could usually end up making the character worse. Wis to attack is the only decent one. I mean they're all like a ranger taking improved wild empathy. Or a druid improving his venom immunity. These are not worthwhile things to focus on. Improved quivering palm might be worth something but only because you can combo it with wis to attacks, and you have to wait until high levels for that. In extremely long running campaigns ageless body has a niche too, but is otherwise useless.

Giving something that has the same flavor but also some combat usefulness, or improving the existing ability to the point that it is more useful in combat could fix things and make these feats more worth taking.

EDIT: Oh oops, missed fist of the incorporeal too. Touch attacks are always crazy strong. A bit much even.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-05-17 at 08:54 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

This one is nice, though you might want to know that UA has something like that already. I'd say drop the Int prerequisite, but since we have that UA feat already, you might as well keep it. Kingdoms of Kalamar had something like that too, but it gave skills equal to your Int modifier. Unless you have 18+ Int, yours is better, so keep it like that.
    Skill Knowledge is for an alternate skill system than what 3.5 is assumed to use, in which each class selects their skills known, instead of all members of a given class having the same set. It's fallacious to assume that it's available to every game, especially since it's in the Variant Systems chapter of UA.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Skill Knowledge is for an alternate skill system than what 3.5 is assumed to use, in which each class selects their skills known, instead of all members of a given class having the same set. It's fallacious to assume that it's available to every game, especially since it's in the Variant Systems chapter of UA.
    That feat is actually WORSE outside that variant system. I just wanted the OP to know it existed.