New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Windrunner [3.5 base class, PEACH]

The Speedster/Windrunner

Not this guy.

Now you see me, now you're dead.
    --Taranh the Oncoming Storm, a noted elven Speedster.

Abilities: Dexterity is the most important ability for a Speedster, granting more uses of most of his high-level abilities and helping make up for his inability to wear armor. Strength is important for any melee class, improving his attack and damage, although the bonus damage from a Blitzkrieg Strike can partially make up for a low strength score. A good Constitution score can help make up for his lower hit die.
    Starting Age: As Monk
    Starting Gold: As Monk
    Hit Die: d8

The Speedster’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex),Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points at 1st level: (4+Int modifier) x4
    Skill Points at each additional level: 4+Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Speed Bonus
    1|+1|+0|+2|+0|Blitzkrieg Strike 1/encounter, Fast Movement, Rapid Response, Run|+10 ft
    2|+2|+0|+3|+0|Speed Armor, Speed Stealth, All-Terrain (earth)|+ 10 ft
    3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Mobile Strike, Uncanny Dodge|+ 20 ft
    4|+4|+1|+4|+1|All-Terrain (sea), Evasion|+ 20 ft
    5|+5|+1|+4|+1|Charge Mastery, Blitzkrieg Strike 2/encounter|+ 30 ft
    6|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|All-Terrain (walls)|+ 30 ft
    7|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Charge Mastery|+ 40 ft
    8|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|All-Terrain (air)|+ 40 ft
    9|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Charge Mastery, Improved Uncanny Dodge|+ 50 ft
    10|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Bob and Weave, All-Terrain (ethereal), Blitzkrieg Strike 3/encounter|+ 50 ft
    11|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|Charge Mastery, Improved Speed Ability|+ 60 ft
    12|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Faster than Sound|+ 60 ft
    13|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|Improved Evasion|+ 70 ft
    14|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|Faster than Light|+ 70 ft
    15|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|Speed Healing, Blitzkrieg Strike 4/encounter|+ 80 ft
    16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Faster than Reality|+ 80 ft
    17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Improved Blitzkrieg Strike|+ 90 ft
    18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Faster than Space|+ 90 ft
    19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Gravatic Strike|+ 100 ft
    20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Faster than Time, Blitzkrieg Strike 5/encounter|+ 100 ft[/table]

Game Rule Information

Weapon and Armor Proficiency- A Speedster is proficient with all simple weapons and light martial weapons. He is not proficient with any kind of armor or shield. If he wears armor of any sort, he loses access to all of his Speedster abilities.

Blitzkrieg Strike (Ex)- A Speedster knows how to harness his speed to deadly effect. Once per encounter, he can make a Blitzkrieg strike. To do so, he must make a charge attack, forfeiting the normal bonus to attack. If he hits, he deals extra damage equal to 2 points per ten feet moved. For example, if a 7th level human speedster charges 140ft, his Blitzkrieg Strike deals an extra 28 damage. This ability can be used once per encounter. At 5th level, and every subsequent 5th level thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th), a Speedster can use this ability one extra time. He can only apply the extra damage once per charge, and you can never deal more than 10 times your class level Blitzkrieg Strike damage in a single turn.

Fast Movement (Ex)- At 1st level, a Speedster gains a +10ft enhancement bonus to his speed. This bonus improves by 10 feet every other level, to a maximum of +100 feet at 19th level. He loses this ability if he wears medium or heavy armor, or carries a medium or heavy load.

Rapid Response (Ex)- A Speedster’s reflexes cannot be equaled. He adds his Speedster level to his initiative.

Run- At first level, a Speedster gains Run as a bonus feat.

Speed Armor (Ex)- At 2nd level, a Speedster gains the Speed Armor ability. He gains a +1 dodge bonus to armor class for every 20ft he moves. For example, if a 7th level speedster moved eighty feet, his Speed Armor bonus would be +4. Against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement, this bonus is doubled. This ability goes into effect as soon as the movement begins, and ends at the beginning of the Speedster’s next turn. At 11th level, this bonus improves to +1/10ft moved. He cannot use both Speed Armor and Speed Stealth at the same time.

Speed Stealth (Ex)- At 2nd level, a Speedster learns how to stay hidden while moving quickly. When hiding or moving silently (or both) and moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than his base speed, he only takes a -2 penalty. At 11th level, he gains concealment when moving at more than half his base speed. He cannot use both Speed Stealth and Speed Armor at the same time.

All-Terrain- A Speedster can run through terrain that would make any other man stop in his tracks. As long as he ends his movement on a solid square, he gains the following abilities:
    • At 2nd level, he can move through difficult terrain with no reduction in speed. He can also take 10 on Balance checks.
    • At 4th level, he can run across water and other non-solid surfaces, as though affected by a Water Walk spell. He can also take 10 on Swim checks.
    • At 6th level, he can run across vertical walls and ceilings, as though affected by a Spider Climb spell. He can also take 10 on Climb checks.
    • At 8th level, he can run through thin air, as though affected by a Air Walk spell, although without the ability to fall gently if he is somehow halted in mid-air. He can also take 10 on Jump checks.
    • At 10th level, he can run through solid objects, as though he was ethereal. He must end his movement in an unoccupied square. He can also take 10 on Escape Artist checks.

Mobile Strike (Ex)- At 3rd level, a Speedster can attack without ever slowing down. When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. This ability is in all ways identical to the Spring attack feat, and can be used to replace it to qualify for prestige classes and the like.

At 6th level, a Speedster can make a second attack during his Mobile Strike. He gains a third Mobile Strike at 11th level, and a fourth at 16th level.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)- Starting at 3th level, a Speedster can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If he already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Evasion (Ex)- At 4nd level and higher, a Speedster can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Speedster is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Speedster does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Charge Mastery- At 5rd, 7th, 9th, and 11th levels, a Speedster can gains a special ability of his choice from among the following options:
    • Acrobatic Charge- While charging, you gain an untyped bonus to Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks equal to your bonus to speed. For example, a 7th level Speedster gains a +40 bonus to Tumble checks while charging.
    • Hit and Run- attack without slowing down. This ability functions like the Ride-By Attack feat, except that he need not be mounted to use it. He can combine this ability with his Blitzkrieg Strike, dealing damage for the FULL distance moved, as long as he moves at least half the total distance before striking-- any less, and he's still accelerating, and only deals damage for the distance he's traveled before hitting his foe.
    • Dancing Charge- When charging, the Speedster has a limited ability to change direction. For every 10 feet of movement, he can turn 45 degrees. This ability works similarly to a clumsy maneuverability while flying.
    • Effortless Charge- A Speedster must have already taken Dancing Charge to take this ability. When making a Dancing Charge, he can turn 45 degrees for every 5 feet of movement.
    • Pounce- Make a full attack at the end of a charge.
    • Blitzkrieg Fury- If you wield two or more weapons, you may apply Blitzkrieg strike damage to the first attack made with each weapon. The ten times class level damage cap still applies. A Speedster must have Pounce to take this ability.
    • Cheetah's Sprint- Once per day, a Speedster may move ten times his speed when he makes a charge.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)- At 9th level and higher, a Speedster can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Speedster by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Speedster levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Bob and Weave (Ex)- At 10th level, a Speedster is so fast and agile that he no longer provokes attacks of opportunity due to movement.

Faster Than (Su)- A high-level Speedster is capable of burst of speed so great that they shatter the normal laws of the universe. If the spell he is emulating normally allows him to bring along other creatures, he can carry a number of Medium-sized creatures equal to his Strength modifier. He can use each Faster Than ability a number of times per day equal to his Dexterity modifier.
    • Faster than Sound- At 12th level, a Speedster can spur himself to speeds much greater than normal. Activating this ability is a swift action, and grants the Speedster an extra move action for the turn. In contrast to the other Faster Than abilities, he can use this power a number of times per day equal to twice his Dexterity modifier.
    • Faster than Light- At 14th level, a Speedster can move so fast that he appears to teleport. This ability functions as a Dimension Door spell with a caster level equal to the Speedster’s class level, with the following exception. The Speedster need not be able to see his target, and isn’t affected by Dimension Lock and similar effects, but he must be potentially able to reach his target on foot, using his All-Terrain ability and suchlike.
    • Faster than Reality- At 16th level, a Speedster can move so fast he shatters the boundaries of the universe. This ability functions as a Plane Shift spell with a caster level equal to the Speedster’s class level.
    • Faster than Space- At 18th level, a Speedster can hit even more impossible speeds. This ability functions identically to Faster than Sound, but emulates a Greater Teleport spell.
    • Faster than Time- At 20th level, a Speedster can outrun time itself. This ability functions as a Time Stop spell with a caster level to the Speedster’s class level. During the period of stopped time, he moves at half speed and cannot use his Speed Heal or any other Faster Than abilities.

Improved Evasion (Ex)- At 13th level, a Speedster’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Speedster does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Speed Healing- At 15th level, a Speedster can focus his speed inwards, healing his wounds. As a standard action, he can grant himself fast healing 10 for a number of rounds equal to his dexterity modifier. However, while he is healing and for 1d4 rounds afterwards, he cannot use his Blitzkrieg Strike, Speed Armor or Stealth, All-Terrain or Faster Than abilities. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to one-half his Dexterity modifier.

Improved Blitzkrieg Strike (Ex)- At 17th level, a Speedster’s Blitzkrieg Strike now deals 4 extra points of damage per 10 feet moved. The ten times class level damage cap still applies.

Gravitic Strike: At 19th level, a Speedster with this ability can focus incredible force into a single strike. As a full round action, he can move and make one single melee attack against his opponent. He must move at least 100ft before making a Gravitic Strike. If the attack hits, his opponent makes a Fort save (DC 20 + Speedster's Con mod), if he fails his body is torn apart by the forces, instantly killing him. If he succeeds he takes standard damage for the Speedster's attack, plus 20d6. He can use this ability a number of times per day equal to one-half his Dexterity modifier.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2012-01-20 at 12:27 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Speedster [3.5 base class, PEACH]

You know what this could really use? A table.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

3. - Top - End - #3

Hrm. I like the idea, but honestly I think the later level abilities should be gained sooner (ie, Walk on Air as a capstone ability is very weak, especially with the caveat of having to end your turn on solid ground. There is a soulmeld that grants that ability from level one).

Since speed is entirely his thing, I'd suggest granting bounding assault etc at the same level he gains his second/third (forth?) attacks, I'd also suggest adding in Cheetah Charge towards middle levels.

For a capstone type ability.. I think something more like:
    Gravitic Strike: A Speedster with this ability can focus incredible force into a single strike.
    As a full round action a Speedster can move and make one single strike against his opponent. He must move at least 100ft before making a Gravitic Strike. This punch moves so fast that the opponent is considered flat footed against it. If the strike hits his opponent makes a fort save (DC20+Speedster's Con mod), if he fails his body is torn apart by the forces, instantly killing him. If he succeeds he takes standard damage for the Speedster's attack, plus 20d6.

Oh, and take a squiz at the Swiftblade from the Wizards website, some of the abilities there, like auto-haste, extra partial actions and concealment when moving would be perfect for this guy.
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

4. - Top - End - #4

Skate would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29FkNIGqcc

Class name suggestion:
    Onslaught

As for other things, I'd like to see something like the Brass Man's flatten attack, a fort save knockdown slam attack, also there's not a lot of bull rushes here.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2011-09-26 at 10:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

In many ways this feels more like a prestige class to me. It has a very narrow focus on abilities (charge, charge and more charge) while a base class traditionally can be used for several different play styles.
    Besides that this class can't really do that much. Sure it's fast, but there's very little utility, and to be frank it looks like it would be quite boring to play an entire campaign with. It's like the fighter, but instead of full attacking you charge every round.
    Also, this class needs pounce, badly.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I definitely see what you guys are saying about lack of versatility. Once I finished designing the main features (speed armor, blitzkrieg strike), I couldn't really think of what other rolls he could fill. Stealth, maybe? Mote skill points, and maybe the ability to sacrifice Speed Armor to reduce hide/move silently penalties for running?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Leviathan
    Hrm. I like the idea, but honestly I think the later level abilities should be gained sooner (ie, Walk on Air as a capstone ability is very weak, especially with the caveat of having to end your turn on solid ground. There is a soulmeld that grants that ability from level one).
    You may be right. I was having trouble finding cool high-level abilities. Hmm... maybe something that lets him move his full speed and make one attack against everyone he passes?

Since speed is entirely his thing, I'd suggest granting bounding assault etc at the same level he gains his second/third (forth?) attacks, I'd also suggest adding in Cheetah Charge towards middle levels.
    Good ideas, although a Blitzkrieg Cheetah Charge might be mildly broken. At 10th level, without any magic items, a human Speedster could potentially charge 800 feet to deal 160 extra damage. That's enough to one-hit pretty much any CR10 monster in the SRD, assuming average health.

For a capstone type ability.. I think something more like:
    Gravitic Strike: yadda yadda yadda
    Ooh, I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    In many ways this feels more like a prestige class to me. It has a very narrow focus on abilities (charge, charge and more charge) while a base class traditionally can be used for several different play styles.
    Goddamnit, I hate it when someone makes a suggestion that's so right it invalidates everything I've done.

Besides that this class can't really do that much.
    Do you have any suggestions about what I could add to make it more versatile? As he is now, the big focus is on his Blitzkrieg strike, hence all the charge-boosting abilities.

Also, this class needs pounce, badly.
    I had that in for a while, but replaced it with hit and run. It felt more appropriate than a pounce, which is, after all, a "jump into battle and stay there" type deal. If he wants lots of attacks, that's what the spring attack chain is for.

Also, I put up a table. I'm still playing around with changes, though, so it's not updated to the ideas down here.

7. - Top - End - #7

Seems like a good idea, but I'd have to agree that it seems more like a prestige class than anything else.

On another note, this finally explains why Flash can fly.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Why does this class not gain Uncanny Dodge to make it completely invincible to non-casters?

Speed Armor should maybe also give a bonus to Reflex saves.

Otherwise, the one thing I don't like about this class is that it has too many class features. The way it's up now, it has like 20 abilities of two lines, while I much prefer 10 or less with four or more lines. It makes me not want to read through it since most classes that have the same thing suffer from Grabbagism.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

9. - Top - End - #9

I'd give him some sort of aura or metal coating or something to pretect from friction damage, also i'd make him immune to falling damage and immune to bludgeoning damage.

800ft/round is roughly 90MPH, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...e&equal=Submit
    That's 27d6 falling damage if you hit a wall or anything sizable during your run, and if memory serves DR doesn't effect falling damage.

10. - Top - End - #10

Do you have any suggestions about what I could add to make it more versatile? As he is now, the big focus is on his Blitzkrieg strike, hence all the charge-boosting abilities.
    Move down Air Run to lvl 7, casters can do that at lvl 5, limit it to a number of rounds/minutes day at first, make it at will around lvl 14.

Teleportation effects fit nicely with a movement focused character. Dimension door at first, allowing blitz to be used with it, later teleport and planeshift might be fun to have.

Perhaps something that allows it to create a whirlwind of some sort by spinning fast in one place?

If you use the suggestion from Hanuman to give it DR bludgeoning I don't think it's stretching it too far to have a Speedster running through walls, perhaps even walls of force at really high levels.

I understand if you're looking for a more 'classical' fast class, but when you're lvl 10+ running very fast just doesn't cut it.

I had that in for a while, but replaced it with hit and run. It felt more appropriate than a pounce, which is, after all, a "jump into battle and stay there" type deal. If he wants lots of attacks, that's what the spring attack chain is for.
    Hmm, yea, but this is a melee class and for it to be able to use all its attacks and its class features you're pretty much forcing any player to take those feats. To me that isn't good design. Perhaps hand them out as bonus feats?

I also agree with Morph Bark, there's a lot of class features that could be clumped together. Many of the charge-related ones could be mashed into one that increases with levels. Same as now really, but with a little less bolded text.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gfawks
    Why does this class not gain Uncanny Dodge to make it completely invincible to non-casters?

Speed Armor should maybe also give a bonus to Reflex saves.
    Heh, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    I'd give him some sort of aura or metal coating or something to pretect from friction damage, also i'd make him immune to falling damage and immune to bludgeoning damage.

800ft/round is roughly 90MPH, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...e&equal=Submit
    That's 27d6 falling damage if you hit a wall or anything sizable during your run, and if memory serves DR doesn't effect falling damage.
    The 800 feet is a hypothetical number using the cheetah's sprint ability to charge at 10x speed-- an ability I probably won't add, due to its effectively turning Blitzkrieg Strike into a no-save instakill. "Friction damage" doesn't really exist in D&D, and- short of taking the Run feat or a Cheetah's Charge type ability, the class currently tops out at only a 260 ft charge, or around 30mph. That's not really enough for windburn, I don't think, and as for running into a wall... note that nothing in the class says you can't still stop on a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin
    Move down Air Run to lvl 7, casters can do that at lvl 5, limit it to a number of rounds/minutes day at first, make it at will around lvl 14.

Teleportation effects fit nicely with a movement focused character. Dimension door at first, allowing blitz to be used with it, later teleport and planeshift might be fun to have.

Perhaps something that allows it to create a whirlwind of some sort by spinning fast in one place?

If you use the suggestion from Hanuman to give it DR bludgeoning I don't think it's stretching it too far to have a Speedster running through walls, perhaps even walls of force at really high levels.

I understand if you're looking for a more 'classical' fast class, but when you're lvl 10+ running very fast just doesn't cut it.
    I like the way you think. Seems like the general consensus is **** realism, start copying superpowers?

Hmm, yea, but this is a melee class and for it to be able to use all its attacks and its class features you're pretty much forcing any player to take those feats. To me that isn't good design. Perhaps hand them out as bonus feats?
    The spring attack chain? I do, at the first level he meets the BAB requirement for each.

I also agree with Morph Bark, there's a lot of class features that could be clumped together. Many of the charge-related ones could be mashed into one that increases with levels. Same as now really, but with a little less bolded text.
    Good call.

I will be working on a fairly substantial rebuild, taking suggestions into account. Prepare yourselves... it comes... <muahahahaha>
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-09-27 at 08:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

The 800 feet is a hypothetical number using the cheetah's sprint ability to charge at 10x speed-- an ability I probably won't add, due to its effectively turning Blitzkrieg Strike into a no-save instakill. "Friction damage" doesn't really exist in D&D, and- short of taking the Run feat or a Cheetah's Charge type ability, the class currently tops out at only a 260 ft charge, or around 30mph. That's not really enough for windburn, I don't think, and as for running into a wall... note that nothing in the class says you can't still stop on a dime.
    Sure, stop on a dime I can believe that, but in pitch black or when a wall is disguised as a passageway, if you get tripped mid run, these are all things the DM has to handle on spot-- not necessarily RAW but RAW only handles bare bones, like science without common sense. I'm just saying if you go 90mph on foot you might want to wear a helmet.

In terms of friction I'm thinking in terms of high levels taking friction from your own gear. Cheetas are designed to run like that, have 4 legs, are naked and weigh a fraction of what we do.

In terms of flavor, instead of making a master of movement it looks like you're making a master of haste, someone who can move like a blur and stop on a dime. Aka The Flash.

See, what I was imagining was a combination of a monk, a warforged charger and a dungeoncrasher fighter, with speed boosts. A heavy but extremely powerful charger who could plow through walls and ****.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

See, what I was imagining was a combination of a monk, a warforged charger and a dungeoncrasher fighter, with speed boosts. A heavy but extremely powerful charger who could plow through walls and ****.
    yeah... that's pretty much it, right there. I see this as a monk-skirmisher type.

In unrelated news, I've finished version 2.0! Major differences:
    1) High-level abilities significantly stronger
    2) Similar abilities are grouped
    3) More versatility, with more skill points and a new stealth ability.
    4) A bit of customization, with an element of choice about which charge abilities to get.

14. - Top - End - #14

yeah... that's pretty much it, right there. I see this as a monk-skirmisher type.

In unrelated news, I've finished version 2.0! Major differences:
    1) High-level abilities significantly stronger
    2) Similar abilities are grouped
    3) More versatility, with more skill points and a new stealth ability.
    4) A bit of customization, with an element of choice about which charge abilities to get.
    Maybe instead of dimension door where a monk should get it, give it haste.

I think a race called the Xin (sp?) from psionic have a 30 base speed boost as well.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2011-09-27 at 10:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. I have, for experimental purposes, created a 10th level Speedster to see how it stacks up. Haven't had time to play yet, but let's look at the numbers.

I decided to be an elf, for the dexterity bonus. Rolling for my stats and applying racial and level modifiers gave me:

Strength- 14
    Dexterity-18
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence-12
    Wisdom- 11
    Charisma- 9

Build-wise, I decided to go TWF with a pair of kukris, to stick with my original image of the speedster. I took Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Improved Critical for my feats, and Hit and Run, Pounce, and Spinning Charge for my Charge Mastery abilities.

The DMG wealth/level guidelines give me 49,000 gp to play with. I spent most of that on Bracers of Armor +4, and a pair of +1 Psychokinetic kukri. I also picked up some Gloves of Dexterity +2, a Cloak of Resistance +2, Boots of Striding and Sprining- for the speed bonus- and a Ring of Feather Falling, which seemed a wise investment for a character with the ability to get really high in the air but nothing to stop him from falling down.

Calculating my stats, then, gives me two kukri attacks with each hand at +15/+10, dealing d4+3 or +4 with 1d4 bonus force damage, and a 16-20 crit range. Not wildly impressive, but four attacks with a nice big crit range and pounce is nothing to sneer at. Still, Blitzkrieg Strike is my main offensive ability. At 10th level, with a 30ft base speed and +10ft from my boots, my maximum charge range is 180 feet, for a total of +36 damage. I can do this three times per encounter-- which, in my experience, is probably enough to get me through most fights.

On average, a full-speed BS (heh) will do 44 damage-- 6 from the kukri, 2 force, and 36 from the ability. Compare that to a paladin's charging smite (probably the closest equivalent ability). For the sake of argument, we'll give him the same equipment, and a strength of 20. On average, he'll do 40-- 8 from the kukri, 2 from force, and +30 from the smite.

Looks pretty fair to me. A paladin is probably not going to be TWF with a pair of kukri, admittedly, but I could probably up the Speedster's damage a bit by carrying a spear, or taking a martial weapon proficiency feat. The Speedster won't always get that max bonus, but he can use his BS more than the paladin can smite.

Now, defensively, my AC starts at 19. With an optimal 180 foot charge, Speed Armor gives me a +9 bonus, for a total of 28. Hmm... that seems a little high, but then again, that is an optimal circumstance. Let's compare to the same paladin. If he spends the same 16,000 on armor that I did on my bracers, he can pick up some +3 plate and a +2 shield. We'll be generous and give him a +1 dex bonus as well, for a total AC of 26.

That seems a little high. Obviously, limited space is going to hurt the Speedster, but with Hit and Run and Spinning Charge, he should be able to get a pretty good distance almost every round. Perhaps speed armor needs a cap... one-half class level or something. That would limit it to a +5, which-- for me-- would max my AC out a 24. That's pretty good, but not quite as ridiculous. Then again... low hit die and limited utility...
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-09-28 at 04:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Just some thoughts.

#1 it seems a little front loaded for a 20 level class. so yeah either a prestige class or shift some abilities to later levels.

#2 A Quickling (movement of 240') gains Improved Invisibility I believe while moving or something like that. So maybe you can add an ability like invisible while moving? If a 20 lvl class still Improved Invis at a late level, so at low levels he starts out goes invis, then hits someone becomes visible, but keeps moving away. At later levels, he goes invis, hits someone then shows up somewhere else when he stops. Even at very low level he would get a blur effect.

#3 Maybe he can resonate his body or move back and forth so quick to different spots make it appear that he is in different spots at once (mirror image) this cannot be used with invis, but maybe with blur? Defensive ability when not attacking would need 10' area to move about or something like that.

#4 If 20 level class, Killing ability (level 20), basically since he can go ethereal, he could move his body so quickly he can then reach into a creatures body grab a vital organ and pull it out, killing the target. This would do either a lot of damage or have a DC to save against. Would not work against incorporeal targets, etc. Magic armor or such may prevent attacks or adjust DC maybe ghost touch?.

#5 another high level ability for 20 level class, similar to a Temporal Acceleration (psion) ability. Moving so quickly time seems to stop. Can do multiple effects while in an accelerated state. This could be 16 or 18th level ability or possibly as low as 14 depending duration and number of uses per day.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vlos View Post
    #1 it seems a little front loaded for a 20 level class. so yeah either a prestige class or shift some abilities to later levels.
    I tried to have a constant progression of new abilities. He gains either an All-Terrain or Faster Than ability every other level, among other things.

#2 A Quickling (movement of 240') gains Improved Invisibility I believe while moving or something like that. So maybe you can add an ability like invisible while moving? If a 20 lvl class still Improved Invis at a late level, so at low levels he starts out goes invis, then hits someone becomes visible, but keeps moving away. At later levels, he goes invis, hits someone then shows up somewhere else when he stops. Even at very low level he would get a blur effect.
    Not a bad idea. What book is the Quickling from?

#3 Maybe he can resonate his body or move back and forth so quick to different spots make it appear that he is in different spots at once (mirror image) this cannot be used with invis, but maybe with blur? Defensive ability when not attacking would need 10' area to move about or something like that.
    Cool idea.

#4 If 20 level class, Killing ability (level 20), basically since he can go ethereal, he could move his body so quickly he can then reach into a creatures body grab a vital organ and pull it out, killing the target. This would do either a lot of damage or have a DC to save against. Would not work against incorporeal targets, etc. Magic armor or such may prevent attacks or adjust DC maybe ghost touch?.
    He's already got an instakill ability at 19th level.

#5 another high level ability for 20 level class, similar to a Temporal Acceleration (psion) ability. Moving so quickly time seems to stop. Can do multiple effects while in an accelerated state. This could be 16 or 18th level ability or possibly as low as 14 depending duration and number of uses per day.
    See Faster than Time, the capstone.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-09-28 at 05:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Er, shouldn't All Terrain (Air) act as Air Walk?

And only +10 feet to speed every other level? This isn't the Flash! The Flash is like, 10th level.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-09-28 at 05:54 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Er, shouldn't All Terrain (Air) act as Air Walk?

And only +10 feet to speed every other level? This isn't the Flash! The Flash is like, 10th level.
    Er, yes, you're right. My bad. Not sure what your second comment is supposed to mean, though. I mean, I'd like this to be the Flash, but I have to keep things balanced...
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

20. - Top - End - #20

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Again, see his 20th level ability, Faster than Time.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-09-30 at 01:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

<bump>

Have a player interested in the class, but would like some more feedback on the new high-level abilities.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to take this class...
    ...And put it on an anthropomorphic hedgehog.

Seriously, this class, plus a couple jump-related feats or dips, is exactly what I've been looking for for a Sonic build. I've been contemplating using monk if all else fails, but this is exactly what I want.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    I'm going to take this class...
    ...And put it on an anthropomorphic hedgehog.

Seriously, this class, plus a couple jump-related feats or dips, is exactly what I've been looking for for a Sonic build. I've been contemplating using monk if all else fails, but this is exactly what I want.
    Why not dip monk1 and get a novice stone dragon belt (mountain hammer) and maybe boots of landing?

I think I have some flowdancer notes somewhere for being able to wall and ceiling run. For a basic balance issue if you wanted to make it a class feature move at 3/4 your speed on any surface as long as you move X feet in a straight line per round. If you wanted to make it more complex send me a PM and I'll go look through my notes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

The only way I can see to improve this class would be to find some way to include the Infinite Mass Punch.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I think I have some flowdancer notes somewhere for being able to wall and ceiling run. For a basic balance issue if you wanted to make it a class feature move at 3/4 your speed on any surface as long as you move X feet in a straight line per round. If you wanted to make it more complex send me a PM and I'll go look through my notes.
    Do you think what I have now is too vague or powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae
    The only way I can see to improve this class would be to find some way to include the Infinite Mass Punch.
    Gravatic Strike?
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-10-10 at 10:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Do you think what I have now is too vague or powerful?
    Personally I think it's balanced to your class, but I have no opinion on the balance of your class to others.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Gravatic Strike?
    ... Was that always there? I must have overlooked it somehow.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    ... Was that always there? I must have overlooked it somehow.
    I added it in the first big update. Credit for the idea goes to Neo-Leviathan.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to make a prestige class, advancing this class, and one of mine.
    Unfortunately, Blitzkrieg strike isn't usable in rounds where you attack more than once (you even state it doesn't work on pounce), and the class I want to merge it with, it's key feature is dependent on hitting more than once/round .

So, If I do make such a PrC, either it'll have new features giving it the ability to hit more than once on a charge, and still apply Blitzkrieg strike, or it would end up high tier 5.

Or something.

I have a lot of prestige classes I want to make, actually. I'll have to start compiling a list.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.