New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Well, his apartment burned down, his equipment was torn to shreds in fey-glamoured form and he was thrown into a lake. I'd be surprised if any of his equipment survived.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Unless I'm very mistaken (and I can't check from here), he's holding a rifle, but no staff.

I assume Mab won't give him the time to make new foci, so he has to use bought weapons instead?
    He had planned to make a new one from the Lightning-struck oak in McCoy's backyard. I presume that Mab hasn't yet given him permission to go and get some and if she sent someone other than Harry to get the wood then McCoy would get very suspicious.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Or, like the hat, maybe it's just the cover artist playing silly buggers.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    You gotta be wondering who's on the bad guys side for the BAT. I mean the Outsiders sure, but who amongst the earthly races wants it all to end?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Who's on the Bad Guy's Side? Everyone who sides themselves with the Outsiders. Cowl, Justin (DED dead, like Harry) and their ilk. Unless Cowl and Kumori are revealed to be time travelling Harry and Molly.
    I'm betting our friend Ferrovax will be showing up quite a bit. As he could drop Harry with but a fraction of one word of his True Name, he's quite powerful.

Plus...
    Spoiler
    Show
    According to the Wikis, Butcher has said that Ferrovax is not just any old dragon, but more like Nidhogg, gnawing on the roots of the World Tree. Just as well, it mentions that in a three way fight between the Leansidhe, the Eldest Gruff, and Ferrovax, that the latter would "curbstomp" the other two...
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

5. - Top - End - #95

He actually mentioned that all dragons are like that, if I remember correctly. They are embodiments of universal principles and energies and more eastern than western inspired.

Which is what makes Michael defeating one all the more impressive.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Hm, it is a rifle. I hadn't looked at it yet, I assumed his .44 was the gun in question.
    It's a very cowboy-style gun, too. Looks like a lever-action rifle.

He still has his blasting rod, as I recall. As well as his amulet (which is probably the most important item, all things considered).

EDIT: Jim himself tells us it's a Winchester chambered for .45 Long Colt. Probably no magic in/on it.
    But the fact that Jim not only tells us specifically what it is, but also opines on its abilities for self-defense, makes me think Harry's going to be using it.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2012-08-17 at 11:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    You gotta be wondering who's on the bad guys side for the BAT. I mean the Outsiders sure, but who amongst the earthly races wants it all to end?
    Spoiler
    Show

Titania, the Black Council, outsider dupes, I'm guessing Luci(fer), Justin

Now the better question is who ends up on the good guy's side?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would be Mab, Nic and the peeps working for him. The White Court. Yeah, they really lowered the hiring bar. A lot.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2012-08-17 at 06:44 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

I hope Michael and Sanya don't die. Michael's already out of the story. I just don't want the ancient animosity between the Knights and the Nickelheads to get in the way of kicking the Apocalypse's ass. There's a Denarian on the Black Council, so they could be united against him.
    Sanya's going to die because Harry is going to get the sword of hope.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    EDIT: Jim himself tells us it's a Winchester chambered for .45 Long Colt. Probably no magic in/on it.
    But the fact that Jim not only tells us specifically what it is, but also opines on its abilities for self-defense, makes me think Harry's going to be using it.
    That's a helluva lotta gun.

Also yeah, considering his comments, it's probably going to feature in the story.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just hope Sanya doesn't die for entirely personal reasons. Namely, he has got to be one of my favorite characters.

"You are drug dealer. To tiny fairies. Shame."

"So. Mab. You hit that. You...tapped that ass. Presumably, it was phat."

Just the mental image of all his lines being said by a big black Russian guy with total seriousness is hilarious to me.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, his apartment burned down, his equipment was torn to shreds in fey-glamoured form and he was thrown into a lake. I'd be surprised if any of his equipment survived.
    The duffel bag with his blasting rod, the Swords, his sword-cane, his shotgun, Bob, and a bunch of other "questionable" goodies survived. It's on the boat, or was at any rate. I think Murphy grabbed it a while back and hid it away.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

I hope Michael and Sanya don't die. Michael's already out of the story. I just don't want the ancient animosity between the Knights and the Nickelheads to get in the way of kicking the Apocalypse's ass. There's a Denarian on the Black Council, so they could be united against him.
    Sanya's going to die because Harry is going to get the sword of hope.
    Why is everyone convinced Harry is going to wield one of the Swords. I just don't see it happening. What i do see is Thomas winding up with the sword of Love. I imagine it would burn the Hunger straight out of him.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2012-08-20 at 03:29 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Why is everyone convinced Harry is going to wield one of the Swords. I just don't see it happening. What i do see is Thomas winding up with the sword of Love. I imagine it would burn the Hunger straight out of him.
    I don't know if Thomas is going to end up with the Sword of Love. It's just . . . too easy, I guess. Not quite his style, and at the very least, not his particular weapon of choice. He's always favored sabers, kukri, and weapons of a more finesse nature rather than the blunt impact of a broadsword. It's a different fighting style and it would be difficult, but certainly not impossible, for him to change. Plus, nobody honestly knows how much of his ability comes from his inner demon as opposed to his own natural talent as a human.

However, that said, it's not impossible. It would be an interesting theme to introduce to the novels, that of redemption, which isn't quite present yet, though there are hints of it.

I actually prefer Michael's son for the Sword of Love. Yeah, he's stupid, but I attribute that to the hotheadedness and thoughtlessness of youth rather than any inherent failing on his own part. Give him a few years and get him a life partner and a life of his own, and I think he really has it in him to be what his father was, or at least the ability to approach that.

The boy's nothing to be sneezed at even now. He stood up to an Elder Fetch unarmed and without any real hope, and to me, that speaks of a lot of courage and strength of character, even if it is untempered by experience and wisdom. Those can be learned.

Of course, I'm a cynic and I also see a lot of potential for that kid to take up one of the coins as well even if only in spite of not being "given" the sword.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

14. - Top - End - #104

Well, the swords can and have been reforged, apparently. Making one a rapier somehow would be weird, but could happen.

That said, how about Justine gets the Sword of Love? That could save Thomas just as well, and it would be unexpected.

15. - Top - End - #105

Well, the swords can and have been reforged, apparently. Making one a rapier somehow would be weird, but could happen.

That said, how about Justine gets the Sword of Love? That could save Thomas just as well, and it would be unexpected.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

From remarks Jim has made at various signings, I think we can deduce 2 things about the Sword of Love, Amoracchius.

1.)It likely won't be reforged. It's stood so far without being reforged, and is freaking Excalibur. I think it will keep its current shape. This is more of an inference.
    2.)It will not be gifted out "permanently" (that is, to a dedicated wielder rather than a temporary bearer) until the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy. I believe Jim has either said this directly, or come so close to saying it directly it might as well be canon.

Honestly, it's hard to say who might end up with it. If we really do have to wait until the BAT, we may well have another 10 books or so, which means another 10 years at least.

Heck, maybe Maggie will end up using it! Harry might have a king somewhere in his past, or Susan (I don't think the Red King would count, since Maggie has no vampire in her). And she'd be 18 or so by the time the BAT rolls around. It'd be an interesting turn, to have his daughter possess no magic, but instead take up a Sword!

I don't think it will be Thomas. That seems too "easy". And since we've got books and books to wait, we can't be sure Thomas will even be alive; we know how much Jim likes torturing Harry!

I think it's pretty much a done deal that Murphy ends up with the Sword of Hope. And she might/should still be able to enter the fray in the BAT. She'd probably be in her late 40s or early 50s (I'm pegging her at being mid-20s in the first book), which is by no means a point where you just can't fight.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think it will be Thomas. That seems too "easy". And since we've got books and books to wait, we can't be sure Thomas will even be alive; we know how much Jim likes torturing Harry!
    But Jim's second favorite pastime is torturing Thomas if you think about it so i would be more worried about Justine making it to the end.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

18. - Top - End - #108

He loves torturing everyone of the good guys. Murphy still wasn't over her trauma from Kravos by the time Changes' end twist happened. And Molly... well. She's Molly.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

He loves torturing everyone of the good guys. Murphy still wasn't over her trauma from Kravos by the time Changes' end twist happened. And Molly... well. She's Molly.
    But if i had to list in order of who his favorite victims are i would say thomas is second after harry, followed by molly, then murphy.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Harry will end up with a sword because according to JB, he's going to take advantage of everything he's got during the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, including all 3 of his evil offers. Why shouldn't he get someone Good on his side too? Sanya's an ex Denarian, maybe since Harry's so tight with Uriel he could wield a sword and be a Denarian simultaneously.

Speaking of that, I am SO looking forward to Lash vs. Lasciel, whenever that fight happens.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[QUOTE=Mauve Shirt;13767041Sanya's an ex Denarian, maybe since Harry's so tight with Uriel he could wield a sword and be a Denarian simultaneously.[/QUOTE]

...Uh, no. I'm pretty sure that's like trying to make a toy house out of Lincoln Logs that are alternatingly made of matter and anti-matter.

Sanya is an ex-Denarian. He cast aside that evil, corrupting power.
    The Coins and the Swords are diametrically opposed.

More than that, there's 0 evidence any of the coins contain a Fallen One who's "less evil" enough that they could be trusted (ha!) with a Sword without almost immediately attempting to destroy it.

Honestly, Harry is the Merlin figure in the story of the Swords. He holds them in trust, and he distributes them, but he doesn't wield them, long term.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, true enough. There's enough parallels between Harry and Merlin that I'm pretty sure Harry breaks the time travel rule to become Merlin.
    THAT'S WHO GETS AMORACCHIUS I AM A GENIUS.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, true enough. There's enough parallels between Harry and Merlin that I'm pretty sure Harry breaks the time travel rule to become Merlin.
    THAT'S WHO GETS AMORACCHIUS I AM A GENIUS.
    Seems legit. We know from WoJ that Harry's going to break all of the laws at one point or another after all.

24. - Top - End - #114

How does he have any parallels with Merlin? (Note: I don't know anything about Merlin).

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course, if Harry's the original Merlin, then according to another theory he's his own grandpa. That theory being of course that the journals in Eb's office are not only from master to student but from grandfather/father to son.
    Going only by the Dresden Files, Merlin founded the white council, wrote all the laws, and was custodian of one sword. Harry founded the gray council, will break all the laws, is custodian of two swords.

Oh, and he's also a guide and mentor for troubled magical youths.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2012-08-22 at 05:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Hm. Well, it would be interesting.
    If just for the Irony of Harry, of all people, founding the white council.

Though wasn't the white council founded in Rome?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

...Uh, no. I'm pretty sure that's like trying to make a toy house out of Lincoln Logs that are alternatingly made of matter and anti-matter.
    Exactly. Harry could either fight the Outside with a couple of Lincoln logs, or massive anti-matter powered superweapon.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe Harry's rifle is his new staff. That'd be awesome.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Exactly. Harry could either fight the Outside with a couple of Lincoln logs, or massive anti-matter powered superweapon.
    You're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

I'm saying those two power sources are fundamentally incompatible. You can't mix them without blowing up the structure (Harry).

Honestly, I hope Harry doesn't take up a Coin. It doesn't seem totally in-character for him. I'd rather he win more on his own skill and power (I was sad enough he took up the Winter Knight mantle, and hope something can be done about that).

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Maybe Harry's rifle is his new staff. That'd be awesome.
    While awesome, it's doubtful. Jim said it doesn't have runes or anything, and that it's just a plain-jane .45 Long Colt Winchester Rifle.

I would imagine he'll either make a new staff, or come up with an alternate focus device (maybe something that requires less juggling of items in his hands).

30. - Top - End - #120

Hm. Lightning Oak rifle stock. Nice idea. Barrel is cold iron anyway, so it would also be a fairy club.