New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I've got to try and find the themes on Youtube. Most videos I've seen have sound effects or people talking in the background. Can't get a good listen of them.
    Applejack's theme has been put up in full by its creator, including a link to download an MP3 of it for free. With this recent video we might see the same for Twilight's theme in the not-too-distant future.

*crosses fingers for Rainbow Dash to get the next trailer*

Edit: wow, I just popped over to the game's site and found that Twilight's theme and the download link are already up. That was faster than I expected.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2011-11-02 at 10:19 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I'm not allowed to trash talk Hasbro on the blog, so hi Ponythread. I'm back.

My immediate overreaction is that I would rather give back all of my other pony toys than have any official background pony toys at all if this is what they're going to do with them. Not that I would wish there were no toys at all - that would mean there is no show. But I will put all of my ponies back on the shelves they came from right this second.

You can't have her, Hasbro. She's mine.
    I don't know what kind of standards you hold me to, but I am allowed to, just this once, take an unreasonable stance and be upset that something I loved more than any other single piece in this series that I adore has suddenly become stuck in this quagmire of controversy and argument over a stupid bit of molded plastic.

I am not a robot or a being of perfect logic and reason. I have emotions and I am damn sure allowed to experience them. Would you prefer I stuffed them somewhere else until they hurt me?
    You know Hasbro can never take her away from you, right?
    They can make a background pony recolor of Twilight Sparkle and put a harp cutie mark on it, but that's not Lyra.
    That toy has nothing to do with the pony who is in a constant odd couple relationship with Bon-Bon
    That toy has nothing to do with the pony who's always sitting weirdly in every piece of fan art.
    That toy has nothing to do with the pony who's always trying to figure out what those weird "humans" are and trying to be like them.
    That toy has nothing to do with the seapony seen only in fan art

Lyra, the oddball, crazy comedic Lyra, is still the same character. Hasbro will never use her (for IP reasons if nothing else) and they can never take her away, no matter what blindbag toys they decide to make.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know what kind of standards you hold me to, but I am allowed to, just this once, take an unreasonable stance and be upset that something I loved more than any other single piece in this series that I adore has suddenly become stuck in this quagmire of controversy and argument over a stupid bit of molded plastic.

I am not a robot or a being of perfect logic and reason. I have emotions and I am damn sure allowed to experience them. Would you prefer I stuffed them somewhere else until they hurt me?
    Amen oh great Phoe!

(Besides I think we can make the case that ignoring toys when it comes to a show is in fact the default. I think ignoring stupid toys is at least as old as Transformer G1 with Ironhide head and Megatrons unfortunately placed trigger. I'm sure I can find something in the various names of Jetfire similar to this situation)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-11-02 at 10:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

imagedump
    Badass Lyra/Bonbon
    and 2 sweet Lunas
    Spoiler
    Show

wow...just saw a commercial for Cupcake Vodka..the stuff called for in the Pinkie Pie drink 8)

ok...i find myself lacking in good shipfics of Pinkie Pie and of Rarity
    anyone know some good ones with either of them?
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-11-02 at 10:22 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait

I was denied flamewars over Luna because everyone loved her too much

And now I'm getting my chance for flamewars over background ponies!
    That's because Canon!Luna served us A LARGE SIDE OF TRADITIONAL ROYAL CANTERLOT HAM. Those who didn't like it were silent out of FEAR OF HER MAJESTY.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    That's because Canon!Luna served us A LARGE SIDE OF TRADITIONAL ROYAL CANTERLOT HAM. Those who didn't like it were silent out of FEAR OF HER MAJESTY.
    NAY, THOSE PEOPLE WERE HEREBY BANISHED TO THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait

I was denied flamewars over Luna because everyone loved her too much

And now I'm getting my chance for flamewars over background ponies!
    Flamewars? FLAMEWARS! Let's do it SIXTIES STYLE!
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, mabye not such a hot idea...
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-11-02 at 10:36 PM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Perhaps Equestria isn't such a great place after all? Maybe they don't name their foals till they are 4 or 5 years of age (or the pony equivalent) because infant mortality rate is so high. Or perhaps the parents give a name, and then force their child to into the personality.
    I quite like the theory that some pony's special talent is naming other ponies, and they're REALLY good at it

and the music from today's Fighting is Magic preview has gone up, but I think Applejack's is still better

...and Zevox beat me to it.

I'm not allowed to trash talk Hasbro on the blog, so hi Ponythread. I'm back.

My immediate overreaction is that I would rather give back all of my other pony toys than have any official background pony toys at all if this is what they're going to do with them. Not that I would wish there were no toys at all - that would mean there is no show. But I will put all of my ponies back on the shelves they came from right this second.

You can't have her, Hasbro. She's mine.
    If you're still going to post here you should make a new account with a username of "TotallyNotPhoeFromEQD" to throw them off. That'll totally throw them off. Plus it rhymes!

As for my reaction to the toy names, I think the best position Hasbro can take towards us is benign neglect so nothing they do is going to bug me as long as the show is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Yes.

Actually, that is exactly what I'm expecting.

Has Hasbro not practically bent over backwards in trying to engage the fanbase as best they can? Have they not been far more accomodating than many big companies would have been?

This fandom is based on love and tolerance, preportedly. This thread more so.

So, yeah, when something comes along that, for blindingly obvious legal reasons, does not match up exactly with fanon, I do actually expect a reasoned, tolerant response from everypony; they've at least earned some leeway, have they not?

(I mean ye gods, compared to most big companies of late...)

I'm frankly a little disappointed at the knee-jerk negative reactions. (I'm extremely surprised to see it from you, of all ponies, Phoe.)

Or has it not occurred to you, the possibility that some well-meaning Hasbro employee or employees, who thought it might have been jolly fun to put out all the background ponies that are so clearly beloved, in some official way, to the best of their abilities, within their legal constraints, who might now be feeling a bit sick and guilty over the back lash? Or weeping miserable tears into their pony plushy, because they were just trying to help and do something cool and now everyone hates them?

No?

Or are we assuming everyone at Hasbro is a Bleakbane-esque, money-grubbing, moustache-twirling manic who specifically does this to annoy you all personally? (Heaven forfend anyone working at Hasbro might actually like doing their jobs or anything...)

Tsk, tsk.

Now, ponythread, I want you to go and sit in that corner and think about what you've done, until I've finished meditating.
    Preach it, lichy!

Phoe, you're always entitled to feel the way you feel, nobody should ever tell you that you aren't. I don't think anyone in this thread wants you to stop feeling emotions and turn into an emotionless robot

That said, the things you loved about this particular pony are still there. Nobody's going to delete any stories about Lyra/"Heartstrings" and frankly, we're the nicest fandom out there. The "mired in controversy" aspects will settle down in a few days and we'll go back to loving and tolerating the $#!& out of each other.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2011-11-02 at 10:44 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm choosing to believe that the ponies they've released are, in fact, entirely different ponies from the background ponies we all know and love.

Lyra =/= Heartstrings

Berry Punch =/= Berryshine

Carrot Top =///= Golden Harvest.

Blues... I really didn't know of his existence 'til this, so I have no opinion on that. I do object on general principle to palette-swapping being the only differentiation between ponies, though. And Noteworthy isn't a bad name, all told.

Of course, I don't have any of the toys, and I have no intention of buying them... except maybe a little Fluttershy to sit by my computer and motivate me to get homework done... so this doesn't affect me except collaterally.

10. - Top - End - #790

As usual when an Internet discussion of "Intellectual Property" heats up, the sheer volume of people who do not know the difference between copyrights and trademarks is making me twitchy.

As far as the toys are concerned, my take is that people connected with the show got the word to the toy people that the background ponies from the show were popular with fans and would make successful toys. The toy people then did what they normally do.

It's kind of like when your relatives give you a gift that you can tell was given with the best of intentions, event though it only vaguely resembled what you asked for.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, if Hasbro really wanted to be creative, they could have decreed that some of their new ponies would be named by a fan contest and used it as an opportunity to create excitement and get free advertising.

part 1: take name submissions from fans over a short period of time and select 5-10 favorite/most frequently submitted names
    part 2: Hold a series of votes for favorite name for each background pony, perhaps giving away some freebies or raffle prizes or something to people that vote.

You'd end up with a high chance of getting the fanon names without any legal violation, and even if you didn't they probably would have been better than the current crop of names. Plus, people would get excited over getting to name the background ponies, which would be great marketing.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #792
    Dwarf in the Playground

They can call the ponies whatever they want, I'm use to them being called their old names so that wont change for me.

I just don't care what Hasbro thinks or does.

13. - Top - End - #793

Nobody wants you to bottle up how you feel Phoe. This is obviously really bothering you and I'd much rather you tell us how you feel about it than hurt yourself by keeping it all inside. I personally don't feel like this issue is all that important, I'm happy with my fanon and Lyra will always be Lyra to me.

But I know Lyra was your favorite thing out of all things pony, so yeah, I say you're allowed to be unreasonable about this. Everyone is allowed to be upset about things they really care about. I hope you don't let this get to you though, Lyra will always be your Lyra and nobody can take her away.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    It's kind of like when your relatives give you a gift that you can tell was given with the best of intentions, event though it only vaguely resembled what you asked for.
    I like this perspective. I'm going to use this one.

15. - Top - End - #795

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Actually, if Hasbro really wanted to be creative, they could have decreed that some of their new ponies would be named by a fan contest and used it as an opportunity to create excitement and get free advertising.

part 1: take name submissions from fans over a short period of time and select 5-10 favorite/most frequently submitted names
    part 2: Hold a series of votes for favorite name for each background pony, perhaps giving away some freebies or raffle prizes or something to people that vote.

You'd end up with a high chance of getting the fanon names without any legal violation, and even if you didn't they probably would have been better than the current crop of names. Plus, people would get excited over getting to name the background ponies, which would be great marketing.
    What, exactly, is the benefit of advertising MLP to a segment of the brony community that's sufficiently dedicated to the show already to have named the background characters?

I don't think Hasbro execs look that carefully at fan communities, I think they know we're out there and that we may in the future be a source of revenue but I don't count on them looking into fan thoughts.

Honestly, if you're job for 40 hours a week was to work on MLP, would you really want to spend enough of your free time reading up on fan opinions/thoughts on the show? Enough to accurately name all the background characters?

(That said I reserve the right to flip out a tiny bit when they decide Octavia's "official" name will be Cellona or something like that)
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    If you're still going to post here you should make a new account with a username of "TotallyNotPhoeFromEQD" to throw them off. That'll totally throw them off. Plus it rhymes!

As for my reaction to the toy names, I think the best position Hasbro can take towards us is benign neglect so nothing they do is going to bug me as long as the show is good.
    They don't let you have multiple accounts here anymore. I'd be totally tempted, otherwise.

Phoe, you're always entitled to feel the way you feel, nobody should ever tell you that you aren't. I don't think anyone in this thread wants you to stop feeling emotions and turn into an emotionless robot

That said, the things you loved about this particular pony are still there. Nobody's going to delete any stories about Lyra/"Heartstrings" and frankly, we're the nicest fandom out there. The "mired in controversy" aspects will settle down in a few days and we'll go back to loving and tolerating the $#!& out of each other.
    I'm aware that Lyra's still Lyra and that independent of any toys that get manufactured shes still the goofy, loveable, bouncing-on-clouds-even-though-this-is-impossible pony she's always been, but I still can't help but look at all the nasty things that ponies are saying to each other on wikis and on blogs and in chatrooms in response to this and feel crushed that it's happening at all.

Again, I would much rather she never had been given an official toy than let any part of this box get opened. It hurts me to see Lyra as a source of anguish for ponies.

17. - Top - End - #797

I really can't say I mind the official names much, I think I'll just use them as last names, as has been previously suggested. Lyra Heartstrings is a perfectly lovely name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion

This. A thousand times this. Nothing is better than feeling like you're a part of something you love, even if it is something relatively minor like picking a name.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798

I'm aware that Lyra's still Lyra and that independent of any toys that get manufactured shes still the goofy, loveable, bouncing-on-clouds-even-though-this-is-impossible pony she's always been, but I still can't help but look at all the nasty things that ponies are saying to each other on wikis and on blogs and in chatrooms in response to this and feel crushed that it's happening at all.

Again, I would much rather she never had been given an official toy than let any part of this box get opened. It hurts me to see Lyra as a source of anguish for ponies.
    Yeah, I've been kind of afraid to peek into what's happening in the pony fandom beyond this thread. I hope it doesn't get too bad. Maybe we are the nicest fandom out there but even so we are just people in a big group and it can turn nasty sometimes. I don't think we can do much about it other than not be nasty ourselves.

19. - Top - End - #799

That just means you care. You wouldn't feel this bad about her being "marred" if you didn't love the idea of her so much. And frankly, the happiness she's brought you is worth the pain (not that the pain part doesn't suck) and you can't really divorce those from one another.

Life is change, you can fight against it all you want but in the end all you can do is roll with it. Lyra isn't a source of anguish for anyone, not the Lyra you really care about. This is just the internet's way of hashing out cognitive dissonance.

My prediction is that by the time the new episode comes through on Saturday this will all be water under the Brony Bridge, and we'll all have plenty f new stuff to talk/argue about.

20. - Top - End - #800

My prediction is that by the time the new episode comes through on Saturday this will all be water under the Brony Bridge, and we'll all have plenty f new stuff to talk/argue about.
    Hey, that's right. A new pony episode this weekend. And it's going to be Rarity and Sweetie Belle centric.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    Hey, that's right. A new pony episode this weekend. And it's going to be Rarity and Sweetie Belle centric.
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a song!

22. - Top - End - #802
    Pixie in the Playground

Umm...hi everypony. I'm a little new to this. I've watched a couple of the episodes of Friendship is Magic, and I think I'd like to give it a shot.

23. - Top - End - #803

New pony episodes heal all wounds. And not to be "that guy" but we should probably put details like "Rairity and Sweetiebelle centric" in spoiler tags.

Quote Originally Posted by ealdhain View Post
    Umm...hi everypony. I'm a little new to this. I've watched a couple of the episodes of Friendship is Magic, and I think I'd like to give it a shot.
    Welcome! You obviously already have the lingo down. By all means enjoy the rest of the series and then just jump right in and chat with us about it! Don't be discouraged if we miss your posts occasionally, sometimes the flow of the thread gets awfully fast.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2011-11-02 at 11:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hi! Nice to have you with us. Also...

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by RdMarquis; 2011-11-02 at 11:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, come join us in the IRC if you want!

We're always happy to have newcomers! :D

Hugs and happiness!

26. - Top - End - #806
    Orc in the Playground

Welcome! Not just to the herd, but the GITP Forums as well!

27. - Top - End - #807

I will give you Bobcat's traditional Scootagreeting.
    Spoiler
    Show

G'night ponythread. You all stay pony.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Pixie in the Playground

Heehee! I've seen the "Welcome to the herd" one already, thanks to the friend who introduced me. Thank you all. This seems like a good community. =)

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

Heehee! I've seen the "Welcome to the herd" one already, thanks to the friend who introduced me. Thank you all. This seems like a good community. =)
    Its like the best case of awesome herpes you will ever catch. Don't worry I didn't just make that up I made it up earlier today

30. - Top - End - #810

Hello, welcome to the herd! Please excuse the current brouhaha; it's kind of the pony equivalent of Edition Wars. You needn't take it any more or less seriously than you want to.

I can't say that I'm surprised, either. Something like this was probably inevitable, given the extraordinary creativity of the brony community and the way that fanon grew and coalesced around the background characters. The fact that Nightmare Night produced so little of it was kind of amazing, if you think about it.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination