New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor doesn't feel too good about executing the fallen foes, but after his experience with the female one... Well, they chose their own path and they were willing to put their lives on the line. Maybe, in a sense, killing them kinda reaffirms their right to make a choice.

Even a bad one...

"Let me check the scaly guy..."

Grigor walks over to the lizarad-man (?) cleric and crouches down to examine him more closely in the light of his helmet-lamp.

"I wonder what made them throw away their lives like that..."

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

While Tell himself will never begrudge an ally a moment of contemplation, right now he is far more interested in what these two may have been up to. As Grigor walks back up the hallway to check the scaled man, Tell looks around the room to try to figure out what the stone-on-stone sound was and whether anything may have been set in motion that needs to be stopped quickly.

Spoiler
    Show

spot if needed - (1d20+8)[16]
    search if needed - (1d20+2)[8]
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will also engage in search-like activities:

spot (1d20+2)[17]
    search (1d20+8)[17]
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Moathouse: Planting 8/9, Somwhere ‘Round Midnight

Thanks to the magic in Tell’s chain the human is pretty well decapitated by the druid.

While Tell finishes off the human, Grigor checks on the reptile. Removing the hood, he is able to recognize this one as a troglodyte. A troglodyte that has succumbed to his wounds.

Now that the commotion is done with, Tell and Megiddo notice a few changes since they were last in this chamber. Most obviously, the four-sided statue is missing. The sound of splashing water draws them to the pit where they see it now is only about fifteen to twenty feet deep with a large puddle forming from the waterfall that was before dropping to a much longer depth. Further examination of the room reveals the large stone disc that was along the wall has also been moved—likely to seal the pit. The wooden pulley-and-platform system remains in place and appears to still be functional.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

"Any ideas?" Tell asks Megiddo.

Spoiler
    Show

If anyone wants to refresh me in the OOC thread about what we saw here earlier, I'd appreciate it. If not I can always look through the old posts.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"It would appear that we will need to go down in order to pursue our enemies. The passage has been blocked, however."
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-02-04 at 09:59 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

"Except... those two were running off somewhere else. I think they came from the maze to block this off, and wanted to go back as quick as they could."

He ponders. So our enemies are still hiding in that maze, but whatever they want to protect is down there. Hmm. "We should clear out the maze before we go any further down. Don't want a back attack."

Tell is willing to go back to camp and ry to get more rest and make the assault in the morning ((i.e. ready for fast-forward)) though he will hear out anyone with a different opinion.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I am ok with fast forward as well.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, with one caveat: Is there any way to stop the flow of water so this doesn't get totally flooded and blocked off? If not let's fast forward; if so let's do that first.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor returns to Tell and Megiddo. When they look at him, he just shakes his head to indicate that the troglodyte cleric is not alive anymore.

"So the maze, eh? You think we should try our luck and hope that we just took down a sizeable part of their clergy? Very well, but let us do this after we finish resting. Plus I really feel naked without my armour."

Taking a closer look at the pit, Grigor remarks "Hmm, strange... was a lot deeper last time, wasn't it. Some kind of moving platform maybe? Well, we can figure this out comes dawn."

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2010-02-06 at 01:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Tell: It’s an underground stream. Blocking it will cause a buildup of water that could cause some unintended consequences. You might have better luck trying do pump, drain, or divert the water. I’ll give you a chance to think about that. ))

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell gives a nod to the cleric and heads back to resting with the others. The stream weight on his mind, and he'd much rather sleep next to it than elsewhere. But he has to stay with the group for now.

((I won't drown us then... ))

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Planting 9, Morning

Haunor takes whatever report Grigor, Megiddo, and Tell make without question, though he is somewhat disappointed that neither cleric was taken alive.

Nothing of note happens during the rest of the night. It feels as if almost all life in the dungeons has been evicted or exterminated.

Early in the morning, Haunor rouses the the rest of the militia except for Ricar and Bellamin. Ricar requires a little more rest on account of his spells, and Bellamin needs it for compassionate reasons.

When he gets a chance, Haunor approaches Grigor. “Any chance any of you have a magical means of communication we could use to update Elmo on the current situation? Our means at the moment are limited, but the situation is urgent, given what happened to Kevril.”

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor is happy to get to spend the rest of the night without any further interruptions. Just as he sets his mind on praying to Olidamarra for a few favours today, Haunor the militiaman approaches him.

".. I will pray to Olidamarra for guidance in that matter."

And so Grigor concentrates and starts his mornign prayer.

(Dear Olidamarra, thanks for that Protection from Evil. It totally saved a buddy of mine from spells from an evil cleric. Oh and from being attacked by a giant scorpion. Fortunately, we didn't need the Remove Paralysis spells you gave me. But hey, 'the 6P' and all that, eh? Now there is something I have to ask you about. So one of the local militia boys had the misfortune to get himself stoned by a cockatrice. Well, technically he's not dead, so ther eis still hope and all... point is, one of his friends is worried sick and wants to contact a friend back in the town to.. well, 'report in and such'. Yes yes, they should learn to make do with what they have got and make the most of it. But hey, maybe a little sermon of that effect will be received better if you could help me help him... so, if you find it in your heart to grant me the power to communicate with the militia captain Elmo in the town n behalf of Haunor, I bet he would much appreciate it...)

Lycar

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

After hearing Haunor's question to Grigor and seeing the cleric take a moment for silent prayer, Tell confers with his teammates and eventually offers to summon an animal who can bear a message.

If Haunor is agreeable to this solution, Tell will ask him to prepare something in writing (Grigor can write it, presumably, if Haunor is illiterate). The druid walks up the hallway that leads to the great outdoors where he scatters some of his breakfast rations in a patch of sunlight and speaks a few strains of incantation into the breeze that suddenly picks up.

By the time the militiaman has his note ready, an entranced bird should be pecking at the food scraps.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will wait while the message is scribed and then sent, reviewing his spellbook and refreshing his internal fonts of power. When it is time to continue, his eyes with silver flash as he stands up, puts away his spellbook, and follows after Tell towards the maze.

OOC: will manifest an augmented inertial armor, for +6 armor bonus to AC for 6 hours.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-11-15 at 09:20 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Planting 9

Haunor is agreeable to the plan. Indeed, he admits that he has used similar magic to communicate with Elmo in the past.

“Of course, I don’ know where Elmo would be when the bird gets to town. If ya can’t get it t'find Elmo, you can send it to The Welcome Wench. Ostler should be able to figure out what it is an’ pass it on to Elmo.”

After the bird takes off for Hommlet, Haunor is ready to get onto business closer at hand. “All right. I wanna see to those men ya got last night. See if there’s anything useful on ‘em.”

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor nods his approval as Tell casts his spell on behalf of their milita ally.

As Haunor mentions going to check out the dead clerics, Grigor adds: "Sure, let's see if those blighters still are there. Shouldn't be too surprised if they aren't though. Would be surprised if they were the only ones left."

As they walk down the corridor, Grigor wonders about the narrow earthen maze they avoided earlier.
    "YOu know, if we want to go through that warren... we better thing good and well about how to safe us if they try to collapse the whole damn thing around and upon us. Otherwise, our expedition might be over sooner then we like. Permanently. "

Grigor

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell nods at the cleric's words. There'll be a time to reveal that he has a plan to deal with such an occasion... later. It's not that he's hiding the fact, just that it doesn't seem relevant.

He'll finish his morning meal, leave an offering for any rodents or other little creatures, weapon up and follow the others to look at the bodies from last night's fight.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Moathouse: Planting 9, Morning

The human, like Gren and the other cleric from last night, wore ochre robes with his armor. His armor was half-plate. Strapped in convenient-to reach spots were a scroll-case, a morning star, a large shield, a crossbow, and a quiver full of bolts. He also wears the pendant worn by other clerics—the black triangle with a yellow Y. His purse contains 53 gold pieces and 2 silver. The coins are from a handful of different lands.

The trogolodyte wore black robes. His pendant also differs from the other symbols seen so far. Instead of a black and yellow tirangle, it is pure black and shaped like an upside-down two-step pyramid.

His other possessions include a pouch with a small steel potion flask, intricately etched half-plate armor, morningstar, crossbow and bolts, a curved knife, a black cloak, 8 gold pieces, and 12 silver pieces. About half his coins are of Verbobonc mintage.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will open the scrollcase, and examine the contents:

Spellcraft (1d20+16)[31]
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell will take the ochre robes, fold them up and stow them in his pack along with the "holy" symbol. Never hurts to have a disguise.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor takes a look at the loot himself but shows most interest for the weapons and armour. Especially the troglodyte's armour.

"Well well well, that is some mighty fine set of plate for a scaly one. Makes one wonder..."

When it comes to counting the money, Grigor asks: "Hmm.. do you know where those coins are from? Maybe that gives us a hint about those people."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do either Know. Local or Know. History help identifying the origins of the coins?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

“Recognize those?” Haunor asks tell, indicating the robe and pendant the druid is taking.

The scroll case contains a scroll on which Megiddo recognizes magical writings. There are two distinct spells, though both are beyond his training to use. One is a healing spell (( cure moderate wounds; CL 3 )). The other bestows an enhanced mood that affects fighting spirit of ones allies (( bless; CL 1 )).

Grigor’s examination of the coins show nothing particularly unusual if one deals with a lot of local travelers. Most of the foreign coins are from Ulek to the south. There are also coins from the Gran March, Keoland, Furyondy, and Dyvers. None of these nations are very far from Verbobonc, so it’s difficult to draw any interesting conclusions. (( All coins are current, and being from local areas puts the DC too low for it to matter for Grigor. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-02-26 at 12:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    “Recognize those?”
    "Sure."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

“Well?” Haunor prods, “What do they mean?”

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell shrugs. "Hells if I know. I just saw 'em on the other cleric yesterday."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Haunor attempts to hold back a look of irritation, “Well, we need to make sure Elmo sees those. And those two.” He points to the trogolodyte’s regalia.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor

Grigor smiles and puts a hand on Haunor's shoulder and tells him "Don't worry, he will get to see them soon enough. But first we take a little look-see at that maze, eh? Wouldn't want to leave any baddies behind to do gods-know-what behind our backs. Besides, it is so much sweeter to report a total success to one's commanding officer..."
    He finishes with a smile and a wink. After all, Olidamarra knows people perform better when they are not distracted by worries.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo hands the scroll to Grigor.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects: