New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Chachabu 3.5 race [PEACH]

Chachabu

Chachabu are a mysterious tribal people, they are adept at camouflage and are surprisingly strong for their size. All Chachabu wear face-obscuring masks that strengthen specific emotions and grant special abilities in and out of battle.Chachabu are secretive about their culture but they are known to live in large hunter-gatherer tribes with a single king to lead them.

Personality: Chachabu drastically differ in personality depending on their mask ranging from meek noncombatants, to raging warriors, or even food obsessed pyros. Chachabu are often goofy and confident often accompanying powerful adventerers and declaring them lackeys or sidekicks, but they fight with ferocity. Chachabu are rarely evil but will attack adventurers for food if there is nothing to hunt or forage.

Physical Description: Chachabu are small, the same size as halflings roughly, and their skin color ranges from green to tan. They have three digits on each hand and three toes. So far no one has been able to distinguish between male and female Chachabu as they all refer to themselves as male its not clear if they themselves can tell the difference.

Relations: Halflings and Gnomes positively love Chachabu, all of whom like to exchange stories and silly songs and dances. Humans and Elves enjoy Chachabu for the most part, but some of the more serious ones find the the goofy tribals distasteful. Dwarves are annoyed by the excitable little humanoids and find they speech habits ridiculous.

Alignment: Almost always chaotic and usually either good or neutral.

Religion: Entirely unknown, although their gods, if any, would be of a similar alignment.

Language: Chachabu speak their own secret language, in addition to common. When speaking languages other than their own, Chachabu often add "cha", "shaka" and "laka" to the beginning of words. They also tend to say some words twice for example "mask-mask".

Names: Chachabu names are alway hyphenated doubles. example names Cha-Cha, Wakka-Wakka, and Kin-Kin.

Adventurers: Chachabu at a young age feel the urge to find their own "Special Mask" so they take up adventuring, hunting, fighting, and getting ideas for new masks. Chachabu are experts at survival enjoy taking down large creatures.

Racial Traits
    +2 Strength, -2 Constitution: Chachabu are extremely strong, which surprises enemies who aren't expecting it, but they can't take a hit as well as hardier races.
    Small: As a Small creature, a Chachabu gains a +1 size bonus to
    Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus
    on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use,
    and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a
    Medium character.
    +2 dodge bonus to armor class against enemies at least two size classes larger than them, this bonus is lost when flat-footed.
    +2 bonus on survival checks: due to to expert survival skills.
    All Chachabu receive spell like abilities specific to their mask
    Chachabu can never wear heavy armor.
    Favored Class: Bard: all Chachabu can use magical dances and many use this ability to enhance others ability to fight.

coming next Masks!!!
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-06-02 at 10:51 PM.
    Pm me about your Homebrews I'll take a look!

My Homebrews

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Chachabu 3.5 race [PEACH]

Masks

Acorn Mask: A childhood mask carved from a huge acorn.
    Starting mask for all Chachabu players.
    +2 armor bonus
    Spell like abilities: 1/day Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5). A Chachabu with a charisma of at least 12, 1/day may also grant allies +1 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks (Duration: 1 min./level, Casting time:1 standard action, Range:Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level), Targets:One living creature/level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft. apart, Saving Throw:Will negates, harmless)

Special Mask Feat: can't be taken at lvl 1, allows a Chachabu player to select one of the masks below to wear.

Fluffy Mask: A mask made from fluffy animal pelts, the lack of armor makes Chachabu meek and nervous.
    +1 armor bonus
    Spell like abilities: 2/day Detect Creatures: detects all creatures within range. (Casting time: 1 standard action, Range: 120 ft, Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D), Saving Throw: Will negates) A Chachabu with a charisma of at least 12 may cast Lesser Confusion 1/day, (Range:Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels), Target:One living creature, Duration:1 round, Saving Throw:Will negates) see table for effect
    {table=head]d% | Behavior
    01-10|Attack caster with melee or ranged weapons (or close with caster if attack is not possible).
    11-20|Act normally.
    21-50|Do nothing but babble incoherently.
    51-70|Flee away from caster at top possible speed.
    71-100|Attack nearest creature (for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the subject’s self).[/table]

Fluffy Mask Affinity Feat: changes lesser confusion ability into confusion.
    Prerequisites: Fluffy mask, 14 charisma

BBQ Mask: coming soon
    Torch Mask: coming soon
    Mystery Pot Mask:coming soon
    False Feline Mask:coming soon
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-06-03 at 06:17 PM.

My Homebrews

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Under the description for Small Size, it still says gnome.

Might want to give a duration for the second special ability of the Acorn Mask (the bonuses). Also a caster level, with a attribute dependency, or a flat DC, for dispel attempts, etc.

Looks nice otherwise

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holocron Coder View Post
    Under the description for Small Size, it still says gnome.

Might want to give a duration for the second special ability of the Acorn Mask (the bonuses). Also a caster level, with a attribute dependency, or a flat DC, for dispel attempts, etc.

Looks nice otherwise
    Thanks for catching that, the mask is still kinda in progress but I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

My Homebrews

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooooo, I like it.
    Should have more racial powers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

All right acorn mask is fixed, fluffy mask next.

My Homebrews

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that "They can never wear heavy armor" needs some details and fluff.

They burn if they ever wear it?
    They have tabu against wearing particularly protective stuff?

What happens if they try and cetera.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2010-06-03 at 02:20 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You will need rules for creating and swapping masks of course... these should include that all masks of a given type count as the same mask for purpose of charges per day etc (so you can't just carry around a bunch of acorn masks for out of battle healing). Actually a simple rule that a mask must be worn for 24 hours before its effects kick in should cover it, but you might or might not want something more dynamic than that.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There needs to be a mask that has an explosive ability. Just so you can say "Shakalaka BOOM!" or alternatively "BOOM! Shakalaka BOOM!" Those could also be activation words. Whatever you call those things.

I'd build it myself but I've not homebrewed very much before, and this is your baby. But still, do it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    I think that "They can never wear heavy armor" needs some details and fluff.

They burn if they ever wear it?
    They have tabu against wearing particularly protective stuff?

What happens if they try and cetera.
    Chachabu don't wear heavy armor for a couple of reasons, one they can't maneuver easily in armor, two it's near impossible to find armor that fits their strange frame, and three you can't dance in heavy armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkwalker View Post
    There needs to be a mask that has an explosive ability. Just so you can say "Shakalaka BOOM!" or alternatively "BOOM! Shakalaka BOOM!" Those could also be activation words. Whatever you call those things.

I'd build it myself but I've not homebrewed very much before, and this is your baby. But still, do it.
    Wait for the BBQ mask.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    You will need rules for creating and swapping masks of course... these should include that all masks of a given type count as the same mask for purpose of charges per day etc (so you can't just carry around a bunch of acorn masks for out of battle healing). Actually a simple rule that a mask must be worn for 24 hours before its effects kick in should cover it, but you might or might not want something more dynamic than that.
    They can never show their faces, so to change masks they have to be in complete privacy. Changing from one mask to another of the same type does not renew uses per day on abilities.
    Last edited by Strudel110; 2010-06-03 at 03:21 PM.

My Homebrews

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

First of all, I love this, I've never played Monster Hunter, but I might have to just to have better insight on these little guys.

Just as a thought, you could have the masks be feats, not unlike the Warforged Armor feats. I imagine by the time they take up L.1 they have matured enough to have chosen their major emotional mask.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    First of all, I love this, I've never played Monster Hunter, but I might have to just to have better insight on these little guys.

Just as a thought, you could have the masks be feats, not unlike the Warforged Armor feats. I imagine by the time they take up L.1 they have matured enough to have chosen their major emotional mask.
    Lvl 1 is just acorn, but I was thinking that all of the masks would be feats, possibly with other feats that enhance mask abilities.

My Homebrews

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

all right made 'em feats what do you think?

My Homebrews

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I think +3 AC may be too much if you intended it as an untyped bonus. It entirely makes up the difference between medium and heavy armor (except if you bring adamintine into the picture), and MORE than makes up the AC difference between Medium and Heavy armor. It is like giving out free mithril gear. On top of that it is No Arcane Spell-Failure Chance, stacking, studded leather for arcanists. I would also mention monks, but from what I hear they need all the help they can get. All of this is on top of Small size.

OTOH if it doesn't stack with armor, that means that only the stuff about ACF, and monks (maybe?, or are they just utter failures as monks?) applies. Still very nice for low-level rogues.

Detect Creatures is... interesting. It is a pretty decent counter to invisibility.

You need to specify what the DCs of the mask abilities are based on.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-06-03 at 04:07 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #15

Beholder

I like this race, but it needs more mask options.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    I like this race, but it needs more mask options.
    lol working on it, I'm doing a little every day.

My Homebrews

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added some pictures so you could see what the masks look like.

My Homebrews

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Chachabu 3.5 race [PEACH]

Wow, I like the way this is going , I wish it was 4E.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel110 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkwalker View Post

Wait for the BBQ mask.
    Wouldn't the False Feline Mask be a better hit as it focuses on using bombs?
    Also, are you changing the names of the masks? You can also find info on all of them here if you need it.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have the game and I've been using the wiki, but thanks BBQ mask will most likely be like burning hands.

My Homebrews

21. - Top - End - #21

I don't really get it, how do the masks work?