New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Marvel MCU HAMMER and Norman Osbourne

Spoilers for people who do not watch the defenders stuff on netflix.

So H.A.M.M.E.R. has now been repeatedly spoiled on Luke Cage and has been mentioned on Agents of Shield and possibly referenced in Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

HAMMER is canonically Norman Osbournes replacement for SHIELD, made by combining Oscorp, the Hand, Hydra and AIM into an army which works "for" the US government.

The HAMMER teasers and the rogue US organization paying for experiments which led to David Tenant and Luke Cage suggests that Osbourne is going to tie together the Avengers, Spiderman and the Defenders. I don't watch agents of shield, does that shed any light on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel MCU HAMMER and Norman Osbourne

Wow. Granted I haven't actually watched much of any of the TV stuff so I'm pretty in the dark with things on that side of the MCU. but I certainly would have never expected HAMMER to resurface in any shape or form.

Not that I actually expect them to go all Dark Reign in the MCU, but it is kind of awkward that the implications of the Iron Patriot are kind of completely different in the comics compared to the version in the movies...

That being said, since you mentioned them, I would really love to see AIM legitimately represented in the MCU, as far as evil organizations they were always the 'funnest'. "Screw taking over the world, we just want to do science in any way we see fit without the pesky hindrance of an ethics committee".
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-06-19 at 05:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Dark Reign fits in okay with the current setting. Avengers are fugitives for the most part, defenders are underground vigilantes with criminal records, UN is trying to impose control over Tony Stark, and Hydra broke up.

All we need is the Hand to break up and conditions are nearly the same as after the comic book civil war (and thor ragonorak is going to force the asgardians to Earth.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoilers for people who do not watch the defenders stuff on netflix.

So H.A.M.M.E.R. has now been repeatedly spoiled on Luke Cage and has been mentioned on Agents of Shield and possibly referenced in Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

HAMMER is canonically Norman Osbournes replacement for SHIELD, made by combining Oscorp, the Hand, Hydra and AIM into an army which works "for" the US government.

The HAMMER teasers and the rogue US organization paying for experiments which led to David Tenant and Luke Cage suggests that Osbourne is going to tie together the Avengers, Spiderman and the Defenders. I don't watch agents of shield, does that shed any light on this?
    ...no, that was Hammer Industries. Their first MCU appearance was in Iron Man 2.

Agents of Shield recently did an arc that was basically a mashup of Civil War/Dark Reign and House of M, though.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2017-06-19 at 08:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

On the flip side it would be hilarious if they did it and proved, once and for all, that any and all civil war/pro government registration of supers storylines are either an idiot running the show who's going to set things up for the villains unwittingly, or a villain who's got actively malicious intent.

Thus making sure that there WAS no "well stark had a point" defenders left. (I'm sorry, no, no he didn't. He had an obnoxious pie in the sky even by his standards dream, a god complex and a complete in ability to cope with guilt over an event he wasn't even involved in and that was horribly, horribly contrived by the writers to set what the likes of Bendez and Quesada wanted in motion.)
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Thus making sure that there WAS no "well stark had a point" defenders left. (I'm sorry, no, no he didn't. He had an obnoxious pie in the sky even by his standards dream, a god complex and a complete in ability to cope with guilt over an event he wasn't even involved in and that was horribly, horribly contrived by the writers to set what the likes of Bendez and Quesada wanted in motion.)
    I don't see how a Sandford-like event is contrived, it seems more like it is inevitable.

Superheroes inevitably are going to fail sometimes, that failure will inevitability going to have colossal consequences and both the careless way the New Warriors appeared and the subsequent public reaction is something that is both plausible and topical.

The real problem for the set up to Civil War is, why didn't anyone push for Superheros to serve under public auspices and oversight sooner?

It comes as a new idea introduced amid (curiously contemporary) hysteria after superheroes had done their work for decades worth of comics with no similar call. Yet Superheroes are no stranger to extreme dramatic mishap, even (if not especially) the sort of mishap that might be argued could be prevented by rigorous rules regarding how they should conduct their vigilante behavior.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-06-20 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

1: Nitro, the bad guy in the civil war comic who was the unexpected element who wound up causing Sandford, has been around for decades, been a massive scale terrorist, and been a mass murderer for that same length of time. Why was he never executed? What's the in universe logic for keeping him alive and let him out of jail ever and not offing him the first or second time he escaped because he clearly could not be contained and clearly was too much of a risk to allow him to keep getting free?

2: Want the movie version? Ok. It's canon in the movie version that one guy with less to work with then you could have on a single person making a median income in the USA was able to completely sucker not just Stark and The Avengers but every government and intelligence agency on the planet all at the same time. If there that easily duped why in hell would anyone EVER risk giving them more power then they already have?

3: Back to the comic, it was also brazenly out of character for The New Warriors and ignored significant parts of there Canon. Specifically, things that are part of the canon that would have hurt the story's ability to justify jumping from that too mass mandatory registration of all super humans, and the obvious consequences of letting any government due that.

They have insurance, they evacuate people ahead of fight when they can, they were shown brazenly out of character just to contrive that disaster to happen, because who the hell cares how we get there Mandatory Government registration is always intrinsically right and moral period end of story according to Marvel. Please forget 40+ years of X-men Canon making the exact opposite point again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

4: X-men. Again. There have been calls for registration, and story's set in futures were they got it. We know how it ends. Badly. Always, Always, Always badly. This was deliberately overlooked during this story arc, and all the people powerful enough to single handedly say no, for exactly that reason, taken off the board so that Stark and his stooges could say yes. (Thor and Silver Surfer conveniently Dead, the X-men in there entirety conveniently dead or being held with guns to there and there family's heads 24/7 by the government, Dr. Strange refusing to make the call and remind Stark "Hey, you know all those futures we've seen were registration happened and it nearly or entirely wipes out or subjugates Humanity? Remember those? Yeah, sorry Tony, no, no you may not make them reality in this time line. Go get therapy if you want to feel better, I'll help you find a good head shrink." )

Also they were using it to have a diatribe about any politics that disagreed with there own. Something Quesada at least has gotten more and more brazen about in the last decade in marvel, which is a big part of why I refuse to give there comics my money anymore and have since the original event. And they show no signs of figuring out how to reverse that trend in the foreseeable future.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    ...no, that was Hammer Industries. Their first MCU appearance was in Iron Man 2.

Agents of Shield recently did an arc that was basically a mashup of Civil War/Dark Reign and House of M, though.
    Now I have to watch Agents of Shield... Is it okay to just skip season 1? Because the early part of that show is awful to me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

On the flip side it would be hilarious if they did it and proved, once and for all, that any and all civil war/pro government registration of supers storylines are either an idiot running the show who's going to set things up for the villains unwittingly, or a villain who's got actively malicious intent.

Well sure he had no points, if you just ignore all the very good reasons for registration to exist.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #10

Now I have to watch Agents of Shield... Is it okay to just skip season 1? Because the early part of that show is awful to me.
    Season one does set up a lot of stuff for what comes later. If you can struggle through the first third of the season, it does get better (starting about 'Eye Spy').

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Well sure he had no points, if you just ignore all the very good reasons for registration to exist.
    Yup. Like making sure the Inhuman hate groups have the names, addresses, phone numbers social security numbers, up to date pictures, and lists of powers of all Inhumans globally, AND there family members and friends! That was totally important! Now, let's just try to ignore that that backfired predictably and horribly and large numbers of innocent people were murdered as a direct result of this action, and focus instead on the fact that the Scientist who doesn't qualify as having powers and thus didn't qualify as having to register the same way those murder victims did created another killer AI that almost ended the world! And that Stark is responsible for doing it the first time and HE didn't have to register!

Registration was a bad idea. It was always a horrible idea. It will always be a horrible idea. Hell, the return of people with super powers was the thing that broke Hydra and prevented them from taking complete and uncontestable control of humanity. With out powers. And with government backing and approval and resources.

That alone should disqualify the government from ever claiming the baseline competence and benevolence required to even entertain registration as anything other then the worst possible course of action.
    "I Burn!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

For the record, I was just talking of Sanford.

What happens in Civil War and Post-Civil War is wacky and contradictory in all the ways mentioned, hinted at, implied, or sniped at above, and probably a few ways you didn't get to.

A reaction against Marvel Superheroes is inevitable, it happens, it always happens. As far as Nitro is concerned, his history and MO, as you discribedv it, isn't that different from the generic comic book villain...especially the part about always escaping and coming back...Only difference is that he just actually, finally, caused real mass murder and mayhem that carries grave and out of control consequences.

It might not be like the New Warriors to go in without evacuating everyone (when it is an option) and the superhero groups may be fully-deputized and work with law-enforcement already and so on...

None of that changes that superhero behavior is risky, often reckless by RL standards, and that they enjoy wide-latitude and autonomy from the government for their crime/terrorist/alien/monster fighting behavior.

Also, whatever was said about whose side was right on Civil War: Doesn't Norman Osborne and HAMMER (not to mention everything else subsequent to Civil War plus the MCU) all suggest that government approval and sanction isn't such a great way to go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Which is not readily separated because the writers did not want it to be, because it was a contrivance to push the registration narrative and there diatribe against the at that time current US president's administration.

Yes, it was. I choose not to get everything because I was trying to have a post that could be read in a halfway reasonable period of time.

Yes, but again, reacting to the super hero's is backwards. You don't want them to be Judge Jury and Executioner, so they go with that. They hand him over to your government, repeatedly. Meaning they are not Judging him, Not acting as Jury, and not Executing him themselves. Which was what you wanted. Restraint. Voluntary restraint at that. The authorities, then, proceed to fail, even though he is text book for execution by realistic standards you have invoked, to execute him repeatedly. So, rather then looking at the government and yelling "Why was he not offed the last 20 times they handed him over to you?!! That would have prevented this!!!" they yell at the super hero's who stopped him the last 20 times cause he finally got one lucky shot in. It's tremendously backwards.

How is it reckless for someone who is Bulletproof, strong enough to deadlift a skyscraper, and doesn't come form this planet, to decide they wish to stop things that the cops aren't equipped to stop form rampaging about and killing/oppressing anyone they wish, but that this being is equipped to stop? How is it reckless, for a group with enough power to fight back effectively, when there planet is being overwhelmed by an organized invasion force form another planet, to say "Ok, The army and the Police are getting run roughshod over by these invaders, we are going to step in and help them to try and keep more people from being needlessly killed and to keep the aliens from doing whatever thing they are motivated to do that has them invaded." and then do so effectively?

"Oh well hulks a problem..."

Yes, cause you keep trying to mass produce what happened to him against his will and the guy in charge of hunting him is incompetent, motivated by pure self interest, and lives to anger the man who's only dangerous when angry to further that self interest. And you want to give that man MORE power!

"Well what about Spiderman..."

He's on your government sanctioned team.

"The X-men..."

Are not considered a threat by your government sanctioned team The Avengers, and if you did something about those hate groups that want to genocide them first, you might have a leg to stand on. No, giving them better and more advanced/powerful weapons is not doing something about them. Giving them the names/addresses/phone numbers/pictures/powers lists of the mutants and there family's isn't doing something either.

"Yeah but the Punisher..."

Should be dealt with cause he's just some dude who use to be in the military, ahs a lot of weapons and military training with those already illegal military grade weapons, and is seriously mentally damaged. Send Ironman and Captain America to bring him in and deal with him one way or the other already.

"And Daredevil..."

Has a no killing rule and confirmed super powers, just less powerful ones. If you want to give him some more support on half way reasonable terms, you could probably do that. His murderous life long foe specializes in corruption however so him giving out his Identity is a none starter.

As for that last point, that came in after an election in the US, were the candidate and political party that Joe Quesada, Brian Michel Bendez and the others who made Civil War happen and declared that Stark was morally 100% right the whole time and the hero and this was 100% right and disagreeing made you the bad guy, had been supporting, won that election. They then, knowing they'd lost half there readership already anyway over this stunt and also that having that president and party continuing the not so good stuff that had caused that leaving en mass, they did a quick thing with Osborn so that at the end, said president could be the hero and come in and suspend the act with his new executive powers.

It wasn't "Registration was a mistake/bad idea after all. Sorry." it was "It's only evil when it's not our politics being enforced. Ours are intrinsically good in and of themselves, and there's are evil."

Note: Suspend. Not repeal. It's still on the books in the Marvel U. Now that there party lost the most recent major national elections and given how Quesada has been acting since this all played out, frankly, I expect it's only a matter of time before it get's un-suspended and re-implemented so that they can have yet more diatribes about how anyone who disagrees with there personal politics even slightly on any issue at all is inherently evil.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The start of the show is weak and mostly episodic, yes, but towards the end of season 1 the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier impact the plot, and suddenly it starts pulling all the plot threads together and becomes much better. A lot of stuff from the early episodes is vital to understanding the plot and characterisation in later ones.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2017-06-21 at 08:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. Like making sure the Inhuman hate groups have the names, addresses, phone numbers social security numbers, up to date pictures, and lists of powers of all Inhumans globally, AND there family members and friends! That was totally important! Now, let's just try to ignore that that backfired predictably and horribly and large numbers of innocent people were murdered as a direct result of this action, and focus instead on the fact that the Scientist who doesn't qualify as having powers and thus didn't qualify as having to register the same way those murder victims did created another killer AI that almost ended the world! And that Stark is responsible for doing it the first time and HE didn't have to register!
    That actually happen in the comics.
    During registration, everyone who did had their info on the web for hate groups. Till the New Warriors "illegally" (since they didn't register) brought them down (website and dude doing it).

16. - Top - End - #16

Which is the problem with giving anything sensitive to any government in any comic. They're about as leak-proof as a colander.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Personal Opinion: You can do an accelerated watch of Season One, and it's still fine. Better than fine, really.

Watch the following episodes, and you're fine:

1. Episode 1, Pilot
    2. Episode 4, Eye Spy
    3. Episode 5, Girl In Flower Dress
    4. Episode 10, The Bridge
    5. Episode 11, The Magical Place
    6. maaaaybe Episode 13, TRACKS, although really just the "Previously On" for next time is probably fine.
    7. Episode 14, TAHITI

And then Episode 16 (End of the Beginning) and onwards for the point where the series actually gets good.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Yes Men" probably should be on the list because, blah as it is, it's where Ward's true nature is shown for the first time. But you also get a fight between Elena Satine and Jamie Alexander.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Which is the problem with giving anything sensitive to any government in any comic. They're about as leak-proof as a colander.
    Important part underlined. Governments fail partly because the genre convention requires the problems be solved by people in colourfull tights, and partly because many writers have a beefs against their governments which leaks into their stories.

There are stories and settings which lack these traits and hence manage a less negative take on the subject. Men In Black movies are a great example. The MIBs register and monitor all aliens and alien tech. They deport, imprison and kill illegal aliens. They mindwipe people, stash weapons in civilian homes and just in general perform every dirty trick associated with evil government MIBs. Yet they're the heroes, and everything they do is ultimately portrayed as necessary for the common people to live their lives.

The first movie even has a joke based on this: when J asks which government they work for, K replies they're 100% privately funded. That's a jab aimed squarely at the sort of anti-government paranoia which pervades the genre. Because what the MIBs do is still exactly what you'd expect a government bureaucracy to do.

The same applies to Superheroes. Hey, guess who first thought up a system for tracking down and registering mutants in Marvel? Charles Xavier. You know, founder of X-men? One of the chief good guys? And this was treated as a good thing and indeed, Xavier had many great points about how tracking down mutants to offer them sanctuary and education on their powers would benefit the common good.

Somehow, when an individual philantrope privately does a thing, it's a good thing and the good aspects are focused on. But when it's a government doing the thing, it's a bad thing and the bad aspects are focused on. But it's not like the act itself is different. It's not like the plotlines which follow are even different. Cerebro used to get hacked every other weekend, or Xavier turned evil, or what have you. Right now, in the Wonder Woman thread people are arguing for the merits of Batman having info on and plans to take down Justice League without telling them. Well if Batman has reason to do it, any government worth its salt has reason to do it. You can't argue Batman was a better guy to do it, because ultimately his plans were stolen by the bad guys too!

That's the bottom line. Regardless of whether something would be a good idea, it will fail for the sake of drama if it being successfull would remove too much of the drama. Solutions are only allowed to last at the end of the story, and superhero universes have no definite end. Registeration fails to be effective for the same reasons Joker never gets the chair and Reed Richards is useless and Peter Parker has to sell his marriage to the Devil so he'll be conviently single and penniless.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Yes, but again, reacting to the super hero's is backwards. You don't want them to be Judge Jury and Executioner, so they go with that. They hand him over to your government, repeatedly. Meaning they are not Judging him, Not acting as Jury, and not Executing him themselves. Which was what you wanted. Restraint. Voluntary restraint at that. The authorities, then, proceed to fail, even though he is text book for execution by realistic standards you have invoked, to execute him repeatedly.
    The simple fact that he was brought in by unsanctioned vigilantes not following any due process of law is almost certainly enough to ensure any halfway competent lawyer can get him released.

That's really the only point for registration, if you want to be involved in law enforcement you need to be trained in all the procedures of law enforcement, which is far more than just "duff up suspect, put in cell", chains of custody of individuals and evidence, preservation of crime scenes, and so on ensure that the due process of law is followed (the process of law is more important than any individual case.)
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2017-06-22 at 02:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The process of law is more important than any individual case.
    This isn't really true in the Superhero genre, where individual cases are frequently world- or even existence-threatening.

Part of the appeal of the Marvel movies for me has been that they do a decent job of giving this a nuanced examination, though. In Cap 3: Civil War it's even a major plot point. Steve has good reasons to be wary of too much oversight given the events of his previous movie. But he makes his own case look bad when he lets his bromance with Bucky get in his head and goes after Zemo, breaking practically every law in existence, only to find out the threat upon which he predicated his actions didn't exist.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    This isn't really true in the Superhero genre, where individual cases are frequently world- or even existence-threatening.
    Those tend not to be law enforcement problems though.

Quite a lot of what superheroes do is law enforcement, The Vulture isn't going to destroy the world if nobody stops him. He might rob a bank, if he gets lucky.

Superheroes should, by rights, either restrict themselves to saving the world or if they want to go into law enforcement, should become trained professionals and abide by the professional standards of law enforcement.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Law enforcement" doesn't really stop anywhere, the scope and nature of laws just changes. Stopping Vulture is a matter of criminal law, stopping the Winter Soldier is a matter of international law. That's a chief difference between comicbook Civil War and the movie, actually. The comic event seemed very focused on USA domestic issues (because that's where many of the most famous heroes live) and though touched upon, the international level felt more of a sidenote. Meanwhile, the movie works primarily on the international level.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Just asking, not sure Avengers: Zeta Gundam might work out.
    At least it might work in comics if the writers know about Annihilation event. I mean they actually build a prison inside Negative Zone during a galactic invasion. Next thing you know, Annihilus would take note and pour through the earth all thanks to Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic. It might get stopped along with Marvel Civil War but it might produce enough evidence for HAMMER TO RISE.
    Spoiler: Zeta spoiler
    Show
    At least Spiderman would not sell his marriage to Mephisto, though his aunt might sucked out of space once her glass pod was shot.

edit: Depends if Teddy might be Mineva Zabi, even if Teddy is more mature and aligned himself to humans. Or Veranke as Haman, even if she lack her cunning.
    Last edited by t209; 2017-06-23 at 01:45 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    That actually happen in the comics.
    During registration, everyone who did had their info on the web for hate groups. Till the New Warriors "illegally" (since they didn't register) brought them down (website and dude doing it).
    Yes. And then Norman Osborn came within split seconds of getting ahold of all of that info as well.

As for Nitro: Nope. He's been brough in by sanctioned government operatives before, more then once, and they STILL failed to do anything. You cannot say "this man and this woman who are government trained, government endorsed and have government authority to combat terrorism and other assorted threats to national security, fought can captured the defendant while the defend tried to blow up the united nations assembly. But even though they are government sanctioned with government training and authority we are going to treat them as a pair of random vigilantes to allow us to let the defendant go with out facing excecution."

Sorry, no, no, that doesn't fly for letting the government off the hook.

If he'd never, ever, ever been Brough in by the avengers, sure, you might be able to make that augment. But he has been, on multiple occasions.

I think, and it's been forever and a day so I might be remembering this wrong, that New Warriors and Fantastic Four, at least at one time, were considered deputized as well for this reason. Which was ignored in Civil War.

And as for the Xavier example. He wanted a small list of people to know this exclusively for the purpose of being able to go to them and go "Listen, your going through some things, we can help you get a handle on them so you can get on with your life, and if you have some inclination to fight, we have a good outlet for that." This, by and large, is how it was generally depicted over the decades.

When the government does it, well, you've read Civil War. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that Maria Hill was going to start overstepping her authority before the law went into effect cause why the hell wait, and was willing to have Captain America murdered on the spot for daring to defy her giving him a blatantly illegal order, and to my knowledge has never had to face so much as a snarky remark of this after the fact, but it's suppose to inform us that caps the bad guy, that he won't just forget that civil rights and legal procedures exist cause a government bureaucrat with a gun and a badge didn't want them too.

I trust you remember indefinite detention with ou any form of trial.

That all attempts to use the system to dissent or oppose this action as it was designed too, such as filing perfectly legal challenges, what stripped away from the targets of the law and attempts to do such a horrible thing as go to the court house and file a legal challenge was meat with an attempt to assassinate the person doing it, his wife and his infant on the steps of said court house by the government.

That they were taking children away from there parents, torturing them and forcing them to train to be government assassins with no other options to get out from this because of circumstances of there birth.

You are making a false equivalency at best. Frankly, the only argument you could make was that Xavier thinking that even a privet individual should be doing this sort of thing was overly optimistic in light of hacking and mind controlling and the like.

As for Batman, 1: He's actually on and has been double crossed by members of the team he's making plans to take down. This was a fact of the canon at the time.

2: Even if that wasn't the case, he's suppose to be mentally not terribly well balanced on the whole which is why he even IS Batman. I'd think the government should be held to a higher standard then "mentally damaged in a deep, deep fashion.", wouldn't you?
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

You missed the point, Metahuman. The point was that you could have the government doing the same thing as Xavier, or vice versa; it's not about whether it's a good idea, it's about what opinions the writers have about governments versus private charity and how that influences their work. And how even good ideas magically turn bad in comicbook land if and when writers can milk drama out of it.

It's not much different from your own point about Nitro. In real life he would've been shot or executed at any of those earlier times he was captured; same goes for the Joker and multitude of other supervillains. But the writers want them around, which dictates incompetence on the part of the justice and prison systems.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2017-06-23 at 01:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing about Superhero stories is that they can't run with the idea of Superheroes not having a reason to exist. So they always have to make the idea of registration backfire, because otherwise you can't have superhero stories.

In Civil War (the movie, haven't read the comics), the only way they could make the plot work was to ignore every rule that all of those institutions actually have to run by.

Spoiler
    Show
    UN Accords signed by 113 countries somehow a surprise. The CIA ordering the German police to shoot to kill a fugitive in Romania. A suspect for crimes committed in Romania and Vienna being held in Berlin. Captives that wreck a German airport being handed over to American custody. The only person anyone seems to listen to is the US Secretary of State, even though that's pretty much what the UN is designed to prevent, and we never even hear the word committee. Ross' word is just taken as law, somehow.

thread people are arguing for the merits of Batman having info on and plans to take down Justice League without telling them. Well if Batman has reason to do it, any government worth its salt has reason to do it. You can't argue Batman was a better guy to do it, because ultimately his plans were stolen by the bad guys too!
    I believe in the actual comics, the Government does have a 'Superman turning evil' task force, with Supes' full approval.

Yup. Like making sure the Inhuman hate groups have the names, addresses, phone numbers social security numbers, up to date pictures, and lists of powers of all Inhumans globally, AND there family members and friends! That was totally important!]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did that happen later in the season? I remember the hate group showing up at an address with no name, description, or power set of the person they were looking for as part of a majorly coordinated operation that blacked out six major cities, and Yoyo could have solo'd the whole team anyway. And in nearly all of the scenes in the show 'person with powers' trumps people with guns anyway.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    In Civil War (the movie, haven't read the comics), the only way they could make the plot work was to ignore every rule that all of those institutions actually have to run by.

Spoiler
    Show
    UN Accords signed by 113 countries somehow a surprise. The CIA ordering the German police to shoot to kill a fugitive in Romania. A suspect for crimes committed in Romania and Vienna being held in Berlin. Captives that wreck a German airport being handed over to American custody. The only person anyone seems to listen to is the US Secretary of State, even though that's pretty much what the UN is designed to prevent, and we never even hear the word committee. Ross' word is just taken as law, somehow.
    Just going to touch on these briefly:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. The point of that scene was that the UN was sandbagging the Avengers, rather than working with them. The way that you get 113 countries to sign something is to work it real quiet-like behind the scenes. Publicly, everyone knows "Oh yeah they're discussing superhumans" and then the results come out and everyone does a double-take. Basically, it's the TPP, but without a hacker leaking the thing. If you assume that the goal here was always to overawe the Avengers and present them with a "take it or leave superheroing" ultimatum, I can buy it.

2-4. This is pretty unclear, but I thought the implication was that the Accords provide an epic amount of inter-governmental cooperation against superhumans, which they've all signed off on because they're terrified. So the Germans are allowed to run into other countries with advance notice, the UN is issuing shoot-to-kills, and the Accords govern where super-human captives go.

I will absolutely give you the Secretary of State thing; Ross shouldn't have been in charge of the prison so directly, it should have been someone else. Maybe the Martin Short character, representing the UN.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe in the actual comics, the Government does have a 'Superman turning evil' task force, with Supes' full approval.
    I wouldn't know. DC continuity is long and confusing and with way too many reboots. The point is that if Batman has a reason to do it, a government would have as well; but whether this is portrayed as good or bad depends on the phase of the Moon and how much the writer of the story hates their government. Or Superman.

There's some difference between DC and Marvel comics in this regard, I think Marvel is more cynical about government generally? Or maybe was; writers come and writers go and same applies to their ideas about the settings.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I think the reason the Government plans backfire way more often than the singular ones do, is that the larger the organization, the easier it is to corrupt it. Batman or Xavier are singular people, and frankly, some of the only people that know about The Thing or can use it, which is why it backfires less.

I completely agree that Civil War (the comic) was not good, but its a feakin prize winner compared to some of the crap that came out later, especially Civil War 2. (im firmly convinced that the person tasked to write for Capt Marvel's side hates what shes become, and therefore wrote her like an idiot on purpose.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel