New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion II: No Longer Mortal

I need to read Infernals again. And purchase BWC. There may be hope for evil exalts yet.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

infernals are like candy. delicious, delicious candy. the fact that they can turn other people into candy just makes them all the more sweet.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    I need to read Infernals again. And purchase BWC. There may be hope for evil exalts yet.
    Huh? Wouldn't Abyssals fulfill that need just as well?

Plus, the fact that any type of exalt can be good or evil.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

You there!
    Yes, you!
    Run an Infernals game!

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Huh? Wouldn't Abyssals fulfill that need just as well?

Plus, the fact that any type of exalt can be good or evil.
    No. Abyssals aren't evil. They try to be, but they aren't.
    And yes, I'm talking about the group as a whole being evil. Like, thematically. You know what I mean.
    Last edited by Jokasti; 2011-01-18 at 10:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Are Infernals Evil?

Yes, you need to read Infernals again. They are the Everclear to the Abyssal's Thunderbird. In that both are disgusting, but Everclear is so awesome that it's illegal in 14 states, and Thunderbird is hobo wine. Actually, I think my metaphor has gotten away from me.

The point is that Infernals are awesome.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Abyssals more than Infernals, though since I haven't read most of Infernals yet that may be unfair. And I may be biased since I love the whole champions-of-death theme.

Also, new avatar, by someone who works extremely fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

No. Abyssals aren't evil. They try to be, but they aren't.
    Oh? Why not? I mean, they don't have to be, but they're very good at killing things/bringing and end to everything.

And yes, I'm talking about the group as a whole being evil. Like, thematically. You know what I mean.
    Actually, I don't.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

You there!
    Yes, you!
    Run an Infernals game!
    I need BWC first.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The suggested possibilities for the Ebon Dragon's fetich soul, because they a) let all kinds of groups have interesting fights against it, even mortals since it can be totally pathetic by Exalted standards, and b) open up tons of plot ideas.
    I especially like the idea of his fetich having really high virtues as a self-betrayal, particularly because my first thought on reading it linked into the aforementioned replacing-the-Unconquered-Sun issue. The King Is Dead can't be used to turn a demon into a god, but there's a Sidereal charm that lets you turn a demon into a god, so you'd just use that first. I can't think of a better way to torment the ED than to make his own fetich into a new UCS that's really good and loyal at its job.
    Oh, yeah, I loved that section.

My personal favorite idea, that probably has gaping holes in it, is that the Unconquered Sun himself is Ebby's fetich. The creation story of Sol and how it affected the Ebon Dragon sounds literally point-for-point like a slightly stylized version of a Primordial creating his fetich.

EDIT:
    I need BWC first.
    It's five bucks, go mug a hobo or something if you're that hard up for cash.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-01-18 at 10:42 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

So... so he tries to kill, and may successfully kill, his own fetich? That's so Ebon Dragon-like I can hardly stand it.
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thecountalucard View Post
    I need BWC first.
    i love my copy of the crane so much. best five dollars i've ever spent.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

You there!
    Yes, you!
    Run an Infernals game!
    We need someone to run an Infernals game where everyone plays a Devil-Tiger, and they combine their powers to extract an Exaltation from someone without killing them, and then use it to go back in time and resurrect the Wolf That Devours All after the Unconquered Sun kills him, so that they can teach the Ebon Dragon the true meaning of friendship without putting new charms in his tree or killing his fetich.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    My personal favorite idea, that probably has gaping holes in it, is that the Unconquered Sun himself is Ebby's fetich.
    The most obvious hole is the part where they kill the fetich of the Shadow of All Things (who is the one who made the Unconquered Sun) to make the Ebon Dragon in the first place.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    i love my copy of the crane so much. best five dollars i've ever spent.
    Aargh, my financial stuff!

Stuuuuuuuuudent loooooooans!!!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Oh? Why not? I mean, they don't have to be, but they're very good at killing things/bringing and end to everything.

Actually, I don't.
    My main problem with Abyssals is... they're Solars. Same reason I can't take drow seriously- the same- ONLY eVIL! And also more powerful, to make up for the fact that these guys are the same. And sure, they're good at killing things. So is every other type of exalt. Maybe hold the DBs. Basing an entire exalt type around something every character is expected to do, namely kill things, is ridiculous. It doesn't feel original. even Necromancy is like a mirror image or Sorcery, with a handful of things it can't do to compesate. Necrotech is kind of cool, but it's just death-themed Magitech.
    WW took Solars, painted it black, slapped a new name on it and called it "evil". You might as well just play a Solar with issues.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    the fact that they can turn other people into candy just makes them all the more sweet.
    So Infernals are Majin Buu?

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph
    So... so he tries to kill, and may successfully kill, his own fetich? That's so Ebon Dragon-like I can hardly stand it.
    The Ebon Dragon is the sort of guy who would stab his own leg to teach it a lesson, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    We need someone to run an Infernals game where everyone plays a Devil-Tiger, and they combine their powers to extract an Exaltation from someone without killing them, and then use it to go back in time and resurrect the Wolf That Devours All after the Unconquered Sun kills him, so that they can teach the Ebon Dragon the true meaning of friendship without putting new charms in his tree or killing his fetich.
    The Ebon Dragon as a bubbly moe happy-go-lucky girl who gives speeches to the rest of the Primordials on Friendship and the Power of Love?

I can get behind this.

The most obvious hole is the part where they kill the fetich of the Shadow of All Things (who is the one who made the Unconquered Sun) to make the Ebon Dragon in the first place.
    Not all Yozis suffered fetich death. The Ebon Dragon is one who explicitly did not.

There's a developer's essay floating around in here somewhere about why that misconception got started, and why it's been perpetuated.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-01-18 at 10:49 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Hey, guys!

So, since two of the players dropped, I decided to ask Ossa's player (from the Vampire game) to join. So, we'll be adding a Night caste to the circle. An assassin, ooh!. And we're starting next Saturday!
    This reminds me, has anyone tried to stat out Ezio as a Night Caste? Even if it's just early-game Ezio where all he's got are two hidden blades, a short sword, a long sword and some throwing knives.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Actually...
    Spoiler
    Show

Not all Yozis suffered fetich death. The Ebon Dragon is one who explicitly did not.

There's a developer's essay floating around in here somewhere about why that misconception got started, and why it's been perpetuated.
    Ah, okay. That'd be an interesting read. Was it part of Ink Monkeys or was it just on the Exalted forum somewhere?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

My main problem with Abyssals is... they're Solars. Same reason I can't take drow seriously- the same- ONLY eVIL! And also more powerful, to make up for the fact that these guys are the same. And sure, they're good at killing things. So is every other type of exalt. Maybe hold the DBs. Basing an entire exalt type around something every character is expected to do, namely kill things, is ridiculous. It doesn't feel original. even Necromancy is like a mirror image or Sorcery, with a handful of things it can't do to compesate. Necrotech is kind of cool, but it's just death-themed Magitech.
    WW took Solars, painted it black, slapped a new name on it and called it "evil". You might as well just play a Solar with issues.
    I see your point, but Solars don't have nearly as much hierarchy oppressing them, or have to think about getting out from under anyone's thumbs; they're usually the most powerful and independent people they know after they Exalt, instead of being chosen to be cogs in the plans of stronger beings. Despite the Great Curse, Solars also don't tend to get psyche-wrecking problems like "My wife died because I petted too many kittens."

Solars have the whole theme of boundless possibility and optimism. Abyssals aren't GRIMDARK opposites; they have lots of very difficult obstacles that they *can* overcome, raising interesting themes of compromise and acceptance, like how much you're willing to suffer through to do what you believe is the right thing or how you can rationalize going along with Oblivion.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2011-01-18 at 10:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

I see your point, but Solars don't have nearly as much hierarchy oppressing them, or have to think about getting out from under anyone's thumbs; they're usually the most powerful and independent people they know after they Exalt, instead of being chosen to be cogs in the plans of stronger beings. Despite the Great Curse, Solars also don't tend to get psyche-wrecking problems like "My wife died because I petted too many kittens."

Solars have the whole theme of boundless possibility and optimism. Abyssals aren't GRIMDARK opposites; they have lots of very difficult obstacles that they *can* overcome, raising interesting themes of compromise and acceptance, like how much you're willing to suffer through to do what you believe is the right thing or how you can rationalize going along with Oblivion.
    They're oppressed? Can we scream "whiney emo" any more, please?
    I do like the oppression, though. Deathlords were a novel touch, and interesting pieces of the puzzle. And Abyssals aren't supposed to want to pet kittens, since they're cute and fluffy. And the only wives they would be getting are political moves they don't care about anyway, since what is caring in this bleak, depressing world?
    Abyssals have obstacles just like every other type of exalt. Solars, Lunars, and Terrestrials all have to deal with the Scarlet empire, Siddies get to worry about Yu-Shan, and Infernals Malfeas.
    Their only redeeming quality for me is that if they have the heart to put down their hummingbird-blood inkpen and beat poetry book they can become Curse-less Solars.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Actually...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that might be a better example of an Akuma.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    I think that might be a better example of an Akuma.
    Yes, absolutely. But you asked if "Infernals are Majin Buu".

Green Sun Princes can make akuma.
    Tiny yellow man uses Majin Buu's power to make Vegeta into an akuma.
    Vegeta is then an akuma.

It supports your theory.

They're oppressed? Can we scream "whiney emo" any more, please?
    I'm just gonna throw this out there: I think it's what the Immaculates use to teach new trainees how to distinguish the differences between the various Solar types.

Spoiler
    Show

I like to think the Immaculates use a lot of Led Zeppelin and Metallica iconography in their training programs.
    (Somewhere, The Rose Dragon is gaining resonance.)
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-01-18 at 11:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Do the Immaculates even acknowledge the difference between Solars and Abyssals? I thought they filed them all under the same names.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Do the Immaculates even acknowledge the difference between Solars and Abyssals? I thought they filed them all under the same names.
    They do file them all under "Anathema". I was making a joke.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-01-18 at 11:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, a joke. Those go through the Division of Serenity. I'll need you to fill out these forms and run them to the Cerulean Lute of Harmony before I'm authorized to laugh.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2011-01-19 at 12:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'm going insane, and I have to ask.

Would anyone be willing to run a DB game? I've got a hankering to play an Immaculate martial artist and every game I'm in dies and leaves me sitting alone in an empty forum going "guys? Guys? I gave you a million chances beforehand to say you couldn't handle this, so I find the 17th iteration of 'midterms are harder than I thought' kind of unpalatable."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #57

Ah, okay. That'd be an interesting read. Was it part of Ink Monkeys or was it just on the Exalted forum somewhere?
    Found it!

28. - Top - End - #58

I take it my post got a bit buried in the earlier discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    This reminds me, has anyone tried to stat out Ezio as a Night Caste? Even if it's just early-game Ezio where all he's got are two hidden blades, a short sword, a long sword and some throwing knives.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

That is kinda interesting. So, the only confirmed fetich kills are Malfeas, Adorjan, and Szorney - but the other Yozi are different from their pre-War selves because they lost plain ol' Third Circle Souls. That does make the Unconquered Sun creation story quite spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    I take it my post got a bit buried in the earlier discussion?
    Alright. I googled [Ezio "Night Caste"] and got five hits. One was this thread, three of them didn't seem like useful hits, but one of them was this thread on the Exalted forums where they muse on statting up the assassins from Assassin's Creed.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

That is kinda interesting. So, the only confirmed fetich kills are Malfeas, Adorjan, and Szorney - but the other Yozi are different from their pre-War selves because they lost plain ol' Third Circle Souls. That does make the Unconquered Sun creation story quite spooky.
    I think that Kimberry may have been confirmed as losing a fetich in CoCD: Malfeas, in Madelrada's entry.