New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Welknair Update/Game Idea] Fourth Land

Fourthland
    A Game of Abstraction

Fourthland is the game that I've now been working on for some months, and it is bearing more fruit than any of my previous attempts. It has gone much further than I thought it would, and I hope to see it become a full-fledged Tabletop RPG, one you can buy and hold a copy of in your hand. We're still a ways from that goal, but it is in sight.

What IS Fourthland, you ask? It is a game of abstraction. Imagine a world where everything you knew was wrong. Where the fundamental aspects of reality were different. A world of creativity, ingenuity, and alien-ness. In this strange, bizarre world your preconceptions of reality will likely not suffice. You will need to learn. To think in new, and novel ways. This is NOT a game for the unimaginative. It is a game of glorious innovation, a game of teamwork, of ideals, of thoughts and beliefs.

Due to me wanting to actually produce this game, I am limited in what I can say about it. I have said a few things openly, so I'll post them here for anyone taking a look for the first time:

1. The world is centered around 12 "Energies" that define most of reality. Character stats are the first 8.

2. There are things kind of like classes, called "Shapes". There are three tiers of these, and they are independent of one another. "Combinatory Characters" is one of the features my game espouses. Any combination of Shapes should be a viable character.

3. Play starts with all players having blank character sheets. As they play through the beginning of the game, they gain the defining features of their character. This is what I call "Progressive Start". Players don't need to do any preparation before the game. No hours of character-building. Just straight on to the fun!

4. The rules are divided into discrete "Stages", increasing in complexity in each stage. This allows new groups to not be immediately overwhelmed by how profoundly weird Fourthland is. Once a group has progressed through all the stages, later games can start at the last stage (Utilizing the entire body of rules). The first stage involves solely the first four energies, as well as a bit of interesting lore about the world.

5. "Shape does not confer function". Functions are attributes attached to the being of an object, not its physical shape. This means that you could make something that looks like a sword, but unless it has the intrinsic property of a sword, it does not function as one.

6. Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tock, Tock, Tock, Tock, Click, Click, Click, Click, Clack, Clack, Clack, Clack, Arc, Arc, Arc, Arc, Circle, Circle, Circle, Circle, Cycle, Cycle, Cycle, Cycle, Grand Cycle, Grand Cycle, Grand Cycle, Grand Cycle, Father, Father, Father, Father, Mother, Mother, Mother, Mother.... Tick

7. There seems to be some recurring theme about the numbers 2, 4, 6, and 8?

8. For example, I needed 8 facts about the game.

I frequently post my musings and progress in this thread, so if you're interested, do follow! Don't be afraid to post either! Responses on this thread help ensure that others hear of it. Plus the people that hang out here are generally pretty awesome.

Quotes of Importance/Humor:

Because they deserve to be out of the spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    You know, most games claim to challenge what you think is true, but they don't. See, when you look at fourth land, you can't assume anything. Gravity? Please, that got thrown out in minutes. Time? Linear chronology is for wimps. Liquids? Seriously, I said no assumptions! Life? Nope, not even that.

So what's the game about, then? It's a game about anything. Literally, anything: you can make a pie of swordness to slash the inside of your enemies' mouths. You can parkour your way to the sun, blast people with the raw energy of time, structure, or gravity. It's a land of ultimates, extremes, and originality. Because nothing will ever be the same.

Fourthland, the game of Abstractions.
    "Welknair's Thread: Side effects may include: Immediate loss of SAN, questions regarding our fundamental assumptions of the world around us, perpetual motion, blackholes, paradoxes, ponies, food-ified objects, piercing boulders, bludgeoning spears, and time clones. Consult your doctor if you feel that any of these may be a problem, or if any portion of your body has been chronofragged."
    In other news, I just imagined a yellow jellyfish with an interpretative dance cutie mark speaking -no, flapping?- in a sad southern accent. Don't ask me how that works.

Fourthland is freakin epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fako View Post
    Fourthland: The game where a 5 degree difference in how you hold up your ganglia changes the definition from "mother" to "monster"...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    That.. Wow. I. Huh.

I've been doing a lot of work on my game recently. A lot. I've been telling my normal group bits and pieces between our GURPS games. I've told them about the story, about the world. I finally have enough done to do a trial run. Just to test out basic mechanics, you know. To make sure I hadn't made some major mistake, had some fatal oversight.

I did.

My world, my game, that I had prided myself on being "Simple" was too complicated for them. These are the people that make skyship designs with my magitech system. They didn't understand the ideas I was throwing at them.

My oversight? My design goal was to make a game unlike any other, to make something entirely unique. My short-coming? I succeeded. I hadn't even thought of the POSSIBILITY that the drastic alien-ness of my game would confuse my players to the point where they couldn't comprehend it.

My players are pretty smart, smarter than the average one, I'd like to say. The fact that my game is incomprehensible to them does not bode well.

I need to change some things. A lot of things. This was a bit of a reality check for me. I haven't been doing near as well as I thought I had. I made something TOO different, TOO novel. And they just didn't get it.

Wow. That's the first time I've ever walked out on a game.
    ... I complain about a bad test, and people's response is to be intensely curious?

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I think I overreacted. I did a second test and things went a bit better. It's important to ease players into it instead of expecting to understand an entirely new universe immediately.

Well, I'll see what I can say without giving too much away or angering the gods of copyright (I wonder if I can just copyright the idea already so I can be more open? I need to work that stuff out).

I made an entirely new universe, if you hadn't already figured that bit out. What's a "Human"? What's a "Molecule"? Gravity? Sound? Life? Death? Time?

I made my own. I rewrote EVERYTHING. I have 12 elementary energy types that define the world, inspired a little by Exalted Elemental Essence - That's actually a good story, and one I can say to help you understand without telling exactly how my stuff works.

We were arguing about a character from Keychain of Creation (The Exalted version of OotS), an Abyssal girl by the name of Secret. Abyssals don't age physically. I argued that this made no sense, since they healed over time. Healing involves the replication of cells, shortening telomeres. It is this shortening of telomeres that causes aging. I was met by something along the lines of "What is a Cell?" I was baffled. The utter refutation of everything I knew about the world... They instead explained to me that everyone was made of a combination of Wood and Earth Essence, the first giving life and the second structure. You die when your Wood runs out. This was the basics of the Energy system for Fourthland. I number my twelve energies, 1st through 12th. Guess which one causes life? Fourth. Then I have ones that cause Gravity, Light, Heat, Movement, and so on.

Player Stats? Energy scores. This is the center of my game. It is alien and weird. Yet at the same time, to me at least, it is quite beautiful. To be able to build an entire universe from so few elements is amazing. It has a complex simplicity about it, and a simple complexity.

Another interesting thing about my game: "Progressive Start". You hand blank character sheets to players, and the game has started. Right then and there. The DM/GM/Muse describes the scene, and then Players get their first bit of Fourth (XP). They continue to as the game goes on, though the rate slows down. Later, they get most of it from overcoming challenges. The point though, is that you don't wait an hour and a half to make character sheets first. It's done through the gameplay.

Yet another: Combinatory Characters. I'm making a bunch of class-y things that I don't think I can talk too much about, but you get three of them. Any combination should be valid. In this way, I can create massive numbers of potential characters off of relatively few templates. And it's an exponential growth.

Does that do it for you? My copyright-friend says he'll help me through the process this coming weekend and I should be able to say a lot more.
    I. Wow. I just realized something involving the time thing. Oooooooh. *Laughs evilly* I was trying to figure out why people wouldn't want to always be carrying around super-speed stones with them. Then I figured it out. Yeah, that'll do. That'll do.
    A bit of background for the next one: I have a very crazy player. He tends to abuse physics. The playtest group from this thread has issued him an official challenge, starting with the following post.
    Ok, then.

I'll take him as a challenge.

WHO CAN BE MORE ABUSIVE.

Tell him he's on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    Dude, I'm already designing a method of omniscience. I know little of the rules and I'm already on the verge of Omniscifer level tricks.
    I also have an idea for a gun that chronofrags people.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Why make a chronofrag gun when you can have a grenade that causes the animating principle to fall out of your enemy's body?

(Alter how gravity, Fourth, and structural elements interact; fun times occur.)
    Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    It kinda says something about our culture that the first reaction to a new system of rules is using to to make things explode in previously impossible ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Is it wrong that I've already developed methods of teleportation, perpetual motion and cold fusion?
    Ah. Missed the no molecules. Teleportation was easy. It just followed a logical chain of manipulating space-time through matter/gravity manipulation. Technically, it's not so much teleportation as it is moving the entire universe so that object ends up where you want it. Though you can also move the object itself.

It's just more fun the first way.
    So I can't force the Fourth and the Seventh in someone's body to interact, thus making the Fourth... fall out?

Also, does the Law of Conservation of Energy still exist in this universe; otherwise, there are evil, evil, EVIL things we can do.

But yeah, since I only know of 3 component Energies (Fourth (Lifeforce), Seventh (Gravity), and Eleventh (Time) (I assigned those numbers at random; I'll get the terminology correct once I have my toolbox.)), I can already pull of cryogenics, if necessary (Remove Eleventh from the area; therefor, they just go through time as slow as hell), and I'm pretty sure I can pull off Crack the Sky (Exalted charm where you toss someone miles, for massive amounts of pain; you can do it through pure manipulation of Seventh, especially if there are any ways to lock someone's ability to change their gravitational direction. This is a party trick, by the way.)

Oh, and I'll also need to know if any of Newton's Laws still exist in game, and how "strongly" they apply.

Also, just for ****s and giggles, if we can figure out a method of converting energies into other energies, I totally have a method to duplicate the Event Horizon of a black hole (convert 11th into 7th).

I can pull of practically instantaneous travel (Welknair gave some hints about how you can potentially affect a part of an object; just move the 11th from every creature inside to the "ship" they are sitting in, and have some sort of AI (Eh, just fill it with 4th, that should do it) move the ship; the people riding barely experience any time passing, while the ship is moving hella fast.)

Oh, before I forget... is Distance an energy?
    Welknair, I hope you're proud of yourself. You're about to unleash several madmen with plans of world discombobulation and maybe the power to do it onto an innocent setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    An untouched setting even!

After the play test I think you can consider it roughed up. I just hope I survive with all my mental faculties.
    You... are much too kind to us.

Seriously, what did we do to deserve this kinda windfall?

If we can set up a moving field, progressive-speed FTL travel is in our grasp! (Very simple; lock the back end of a Time-and-Space Dilatory Field to the back of your "ship". Fly it wherever you want.)

Also, there is miniaturization, which, due to a lack of atomization, means we can scale things infinitely! (Or practically so...)
    You know this is going to end in fire and oblivion, right? Isn't it obvious? Elemental pokemon!
    I had very low attendance this weekend (Just my crazy-player, and one of my less-crazy ones), so we ended up playing Fourthland the first time. We tested out some of the class-things and they seem to work pretty well. I need to change some mechanics involving how physical matter is dealt with, but things are shaping up nicely.

Using my funky physics, I set up a really peculiar world. the world is an inverted sphere, with everything along the inside. Gravity is conferred by a thin layer of 11th-charged material far inside the ground. In the middle of this sphere is a large, opaque sphere. Between the sphere and the ground above/below orbits another sphere, this one possessing gargantuan quantities of 9th (Light). When it passes behind the opaque sphere, an area of the world is covered in shadow (Night).

My players (especially the crazy one) immediately jumped to a number of ideas:

1. Dig down to the "Bedrock level" to harvest all the gravity-conveying material. Because trololol.

2. Make towers that extend to the limit of the gravitational pull of the ground (There is a limit, so the middle area is largely without gravity) and then jump from one tower to another. Or tie ropes from the towers and pull yourself along.

3. Parkour onto the sun. Long story.

4. Colonize the center orb.

5. Calibrate a jump such that the apex is right where the gravitational pull ends. Possibly leave a leg inside the pull, then pull up when you're at zero momentum. Float there. Possibly have a buddy give you a gentle push. Snipe at will.

6. Use 11th to make tiny gravity-stones and try too dislodge the sun from its orbit.

7. "How large is the sun?" Steal the sun.

8. "We have a moon too, right?" Steal the moon.

WHAT HAVE I MADE??
    RANDOM UPDATES:

1. We did not play Fourthland this weekend. We started Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom, though. I think the total death count was in the 30s.

2. I am doing more research into the business requirement of Kickstarters. I have submitted a help request on the topic.

3. My copyright-friend has talked me out of Preregistering, given that it doesn't actually do much and it has such a large cost. The new plan is to publish and copyright the first draft in increments, going through the process for each separately. In the long run, this will likely be cheaper.

4. I plan to claim that domain very soon. I've dabbled in web design and know some people that do it for a living. I'll likely set up my own forums there, though they won't be terribly active for a while still.

5. Sending a PM to Roland about whether or not I can post a link to a Kickstarter here.

Here it is, word for word:

6. More work on game-phsyics, primarily how weight, breaking, and supports work.

7. Consideration about one of my original design goals that I forgot to mention, and one that is VERY RELEVANT given the section of this thread: "Homebrew-ability". The property of a game that allows homebrew to be created for it. I want my game to very much encourage homebrew, and I've seen many games that do and don't do so. For example, D&D 3.5e is obviously quite homebrew-able. 4e, not so much (Though Surrealistik does make some decent stuff). This is because it is more difficult to create classes, which were always the most popular topic of homebrew. Exalted is another example of something that's difficult to homebrew for. What're you going to make? You can make side-charms, or martial arts styles, but that's about it.

In my game, you'll be able to (And encouraged to, if you have the capacity) homebrew the falling, among others: Shapes (Class-things. I expect tons of these.), Alchemies and Masteries (*Sinister Laughter*), Creatures (Why of course!), Materials, and finally Energies (That's right. You can add your own.),
    Add my own?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am imagining entire galaxies burning right now. Welknair, I hope you realize what you've done.
    I don't think he could.

Especially not after I messed with his 13th orientations, Intent.

WHICH IS SO MINE. I claim Intent (think emotion/purpose/consciousness?) as my personal Energy.
    Dibs on Good/Heroism/Protaganistic energy. The power of how important something is, plot-wise. Or Hat energy, that would be cool...
    Guys, you are thinking in far too prosaic a way, my friends.

I call dibs on the 14th, Narrative Inertia.

And on the 15th, Flavor, because seriously, being able to make the sun taste like cherries is win.
    Bah, 16th is best. Motivation.
    What about Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, Magic...
    I have a great and terrible Idea...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course! Back to the fun stuff!

You guys know the suggestion a while ago about being embodying the energies? Well I did a bit of work on how they operate.

Also, I have been struggling with how romantic relationships operate within Fourthland, given that my previous solution to deaths and reproduction kind of made them unecessary. Well, I found a way to work romantic-potential in. And then I kept going, like I tend to. I think I may have accidentally created a lifecycle system more complicated than that of the Trolls.
    My brain is sputtering trying to deal with how awesome/hilarious this is. So many ideas come to mind.

Sword of +3 Swordness
    Amulet of Sworditude
    Disciple of Swordosity
    Elemental plane of Sword

Fighter would be so happy.
    Interesting thoughts.
    Armour-ness on a hair pin (because a hair pin that stops arrows in hilarious.
    Club-ness on a sword (for bludgeoning someone to death with the edge of a sword).
    Tent-ness on a pen (1d4 SAN damage.)
    This is wonderful.
    You know what? Let's go a step further.

You do not craft objects; instead, you craft Functions, which are then imbued at some later point. You can only Imbue a given Function once, and then the object will always have that function.

You can later remove a Function from an object.

I'm waiting for Tool-ness, so I can Imbue it in my fists (fixin' things like the fonz! Yeah!); or, more esoterically, Food-ness on a stick (hey, when you can make anything edible...), Window-ness on a wall (you can see through it.)

Hell, by reducing items down to Function, you can really be an artist... and your canvas could be your body.

Another idea... who needs tools to craft a metaphor or function? You could totally make a Shape based around rapid crafting by simply mixing and melding Function Components. And then maybe, eventually, refining a Function to the point that you can just use the Energy and ignore the actual Form. So you could chop someone in half with the very concept of Swordness, or nail up a wall with literally nothing more than a whim.

The funny thing is that this kinda crafting makes a crapton of sense to anyone who has ever looked at how Diablo made its random items, but with the random stuff you get being stuff you can use that item for, rather than adding fire or ice or whatever.

And you do realize that, the more we talk about this, this is the game I've been dreaming of?

And Progressive Disclosure is such a wonderful idea... it's the kinda thing I wish that DnD was designed to work with.
    <hr>
    Sorry for a light hi-jack, but I have an idea for something to do while we are waiting for Welknair to complete the copyright process...

I'm currently working on a quick PoS combining Risus and Nomic. Anyone want to use it to get in the mood?
    I think we're all overlooking something central to our existence. Bearness. Yes, now we too can have +1 Swords of Bearness, Fists of Bearness, and dare I say, Beards of Bearness.
    Actually owls are not technically wiser than any other creature. Welkanair, having a high IQ (as do most people on this form), would presumably know this.

Thus, we can clearly not choose the option in front of him. But, we also know that he's adept a tropes, since he can break them so well: thus, he could be pandering to the "owls are wise" idea from the start, and can clearly not choose the option near to us.

But, of course, we know this game IS about breaking expectations, so our expectations of wisdom mean we clearly cannot choose the option in front of him.

What did you say? I just got started!

The first point is true: it might be perception...?
    I've spent the last ten years of my life building up a resistance to overused tropes.

Spoiler
    Show

Ha! But I've won! I switched glasses while you weren't looking, and the glass with overused tropes is clearly in front of you!
    Innertia-less fields, of course. Most people don't bother keeping their hands on the propulsion controls, and an area of space where that glide just stops... They wouldn't get whiplash, but we would need some way to get rid of the extra energy... I suggest transmuting it into heat.

In other words, they rocket at you and incinerate themselves. Alternatively, a thin film of reversed inertia would cause them to crash into themselves, which would hurt. A lot.
    Confetti infused with "sharpness". They fly right in and get torn to shreds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Does... does this mean I can come out of the shadows? I... I brought a swordness pie.
    ... If you don't mind, I'm not going to eat any of the buffet. Why? Because no-one brought foodness.

Except for me and my foodness laser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...how long has it been?

Today, in Welknair's thread, I've had reason to think of eating Final Fantasy elemental crystals and actually be nourished by them.

Of course, the thread also makes me think of the Lost Boys Banquet. ...I was forced to watch Hook once.
    "Welknair's Thread: Side effects may include: Immediate loss of SAN, questions regarding our fundamental assumptions of the world around us, perpetual motion, blackholes, paradoxes, ponies, food-ified objects, piercing boulders, bludgeoning spears, and time clones. Consult your doctor if you feel that any of these may be a problem, or if any portion of your body has been chronofragged."

Edit: A NOTE TO ANY AND ALL LURKERS: We'd very much like to hear your opinions about what's going on on this thread! Don't be afraid to make a post!
    We will all be barely hyperintelligent jellyfish made of pure whimsy, floating upon a black rainbow, dyed yellow by the suffusion of knowledge flowing through our pseudopods.

We also won't have any mouths. So all communication will be through sign language.

All of it. Literally. Including how we communicate to each other IRL.
    ...I can't tell if that's poetry or madness, probably both.
    It's the poetry OF madness. And it is beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Related To Amechra:
    Spoiler
    Show

Player One: My character tries to communicate with it!

GameMaster: How?

Player One: Um... Interpretive Dance?
    How dare you diss my special talent?

In other news, I just imagined a yellow jellyfish with an interpretative dance cutie mark speaking -no, flapping?- in a sad southern accent. Don't ask me how that works.

Fourthland is freakin epic.
    Fourthland: The game where a 5 degree difference in how you hold up your ganglia changes the definition from "mother" to "monster"...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original OP:
    For those curious, I am still alive and well, and I'm still working diligently. I have recently had a wonderful slew of ideas for a game called "Fourth Land" which incorporates the main ideas I've been striving to work into my previous WIP-games. Out of all the ideas I've had, this seems like it is by far the best, most unique, and most likely to fulfill the criteria I wish to fulfill.
    Bonds that hold, bonds that break, bonds that only few do make.
    Bonds that kill, bonds that save, bonds that cause some to be brave.

I am hesitant to disclose too much as I hope to one day publish this game, and the way things are going, this may be a possibility. Suffice it to say, the game does something I talked about sometime ago - It embraces the abstraction inherent in games. It drops the pretense of trying to simulate reality, because that's not what I want to do. By escaping from the framework of the real world, I can avoid such unpleasant things as grappling rules. As a result, I am free to make an entirely new universe with its own laws of physics . And that is exactly what I have done. I've spoken with my friends and players and they loved the bits that I told them.
    In the twists of time, follow your friends. Form a Bond, or you shall meet your ends.
    So from time to time I may make a post in this thread, just making sure that everyone knows that I'm still alive and still designing. Just on my own terms now.
    Some will live, some may die, but never will you say goodbye.
    And of course, anyone and everyone is free to use the homebrew that I have created. That's what it's there for.
    One cannot fall without a second, and a second without a third.
    Edit: And if I decide that it'd be okay, I may disclose some more details about the game. But, as I said before, I hope to publish it. Copyright law doesn't like posting ideas online before copyrighting them.
    Only together may death be deferred.
    Edit2: I will also endeavor to check this thread at least once a week, in case anyone wants to get a hold of me or talk to me for any reason.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-06-11 at 11:03 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Welknair Update/Game Idea] Fourth Land

That's right, this is still a thing. A thing I've been devoting a deal of time to and is coming along nicely. I believe I've determined the basics of character structure and creation as well as the basics of how my wacked out world works. Basics of stats, rolling, and combat done as well. I even found a way to solve both my resurrection and reproduction problems at the same time! It's shaping up quite nicely, if I do say so myself.

I realize that this isn't the type of thing that usually goes here. There's no material for people to look at, enjoy, and critique. Still, I feel obligated to share with everyone what I'm currently working on and let you know that I have something big in the works.

'Till later.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

A fourth-wall game?

ME.

GUSTA.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

*snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A fourth-wall game?

ME.

GUSTA.
    Finished the introduction/creation story, ironed out the way character development works, and am now starting on the class-equivalent-thingies.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

So how do we keep up with updates and such? (already subbed, btw).

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

So how do we keep up with updates and such? (already subbed, btw).
    Well I will be posting occasional updates here like I have been, and being subbed should give you notifications when I add such an update. I'm going to talk to my copyright-savvy friend about what I could post here as teaser material safely.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to make sure that everyone knows that all information, ideas, and statistics that are now or will ever be posted in this thread by me are my intellectual property which I wish to eventually publish. My copyright savvy friend has said that saying that, I can give a snippet or two of my worldbuilding.

The end of the creation story/intro:

//October 17, 2242 AD, 8:25pm

//I feel it correct that now, after all this time, that I look and comment.
    //I never believed our little basement project would become this.
    //0 was more like me than I had ever thought possible.
    //The world he created is the world I wished created.
    //It is what we set out to make.
    //A world of heroism, adventure, idealism, creativity and intelligence.
    //My world.
    //Our world.
    //Their time is different than ours. I now have a glimmer of understanding into what 0 said.
    //I, with my new viewing engine, can view the entire history of this world.
    //All of it.
    //And it has no end.
    //The computations for the furthest reach of their timeline stretches beyond what could have been achieved in the time since its beginning.
    //I have no idea how this is possible.
    //Perhaps the world is itself no longer just a simulation.
    //Perhaps it is a true universe unto itself.
    //I am but a passive viewer, watching the eternities scroll past.
    //I haven't even seen the first turning of the True Cycle.
    //I wish to, before I die.
    //0 now orbits this world like a great sun, giving life to all.
    //He seems to have accumulated Fourth during his life, much more than the little bit we first gave him.
    //I still don't understand that stuff.
    //I doubt I ever will.
    //So for now, I will wait.
    //And watch.

-End Log-

That whole thing is something like 8 pages long, and explains quite a deal. I'm now feeling more confident about my stastical framework, and I'm moving on to actual character design. Feeling good about this world/game of mine.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

That.. Wow. I. Huh.

I've been doing a lot of work on my game recently. A lot. I've been telling my normal group bits and pieces between our GURPS games. I've told them about the story, about the world. I finally have enough done to do a trial run. Just to test out basic mechanics, you know. To make sure I hadn't made some major mistake, had some fatal oversight.

I did.

My world, my game, that I had prided myself on being "Simple" was too complicated for them. These are the people that make skyship designs with my magitech system. They didn't understand the ideas I was throwing at them.

My oversight? My design goal was to make a game unlike any other, to make something entirely unique. My short-coming? I succeeded. I hadn't even thought of the POSSIBILITY that the drastic alien-ness of my game would confuse my players to the point where they couldn't comprehend it.

My players are pretty smart, smarter than the average one, I'd like to say. The fact that my game is incomprehensible to them does not bode well.

I need to change some things. A lot of things. This was a bit of a reality check for me. I haven't been doing near as well as I thought I had. I made something TOO different, TOO novel. And they just didn't get it.

Wow. That's the first time I've ever walked out on a game.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Welknair! Y U NO GIVE US MORE INFO?

That sounds fantastically interesting.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really want more info, just to see if I can understand the game.

Also, I call time.
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2012-05-02 at 10:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Welknair! Y U NO GIVE US MORE INFO?

That sounds fantastically interesting.
    I really want more info, just to see if I can understand the game.
    ... I complain about a bad test, and people's response is to be intensely curious?

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I think I overreacted. I did a second test and things went a bit better. It's important to ease players into it instead of expecting to understand an entirely new universe immediately.

Well, I'll see what I can say without giving too much away or angering the gods of copyright (I wonder if I can just copyright the idea already so I can be more open? I need to work that stuff out).

I made an entirely new universe, if you hadn't already figured that bit out. What's a "Human"? What's a "Molecule"? Gravity? Sound? Life? Death? Time?

I made my own. I rewrote EVERYTHING. I have 12 elementary energy types that define the world, inspired a little by Exalted Elemental Essence - That's actually a good story, and one I can say to help you understand without telling exactly how my stuff works.

We were arguing about a character from Keychain of Creation (The Exalted version of OotS), an Abyssal girl by the name of Secret. Abyssals don't age physically. I argued that this made no sense, since they healed over time. Healing involves the replication of cells, shortening telomeres. It is this shortening of telomeres that causes aging. I was met by something along the lines of "What is a Cell?" I was baffled. The utter refutation of everything I knew about the world... They instead explained to me that everyone was made of a combination of Wood and Earth Essence, the first giving life and the second structure. You die when your Wood runs out. This was the basics of the Energy system for Fourthland. I number my twelve energies, 1st through 12th. Guess which one causes life? Fourth. Then I have ones that cause Gravity, Light, Heat, Movement, and so on.

Player Stats? Energy scores. This is the center of my game. It is alien and weird. Yet at the same time, to me at least, it is quite beautiful. To be able to build an entire universe from so few elements is amazing. It has a complex simplicity about it, and a simple complexity.

Another interesting thing about my game: "Progressive Start". You hand blank character sheets to players, and the game has started. Right then and there. The DM/GM/Muse describes the scene, and then Players get their first bit of Fourth (XP). They continue to as the game goes on, though the rate slows down. Later, they get most of it from overcoming challenges. The point though, is that you don't wait an hour and a half to make character sheets first. It's done through the gameplay.

Yet another: Combinatory Characters. I'm making a bunch of class-y things that I don't think I can talk too much about, but you get three of them. Any combination should be valid. In this way, I can create massive numbers of potential characters off of relatively few templates. And it's an exponential growth.

Does that do it for you? My copyright-friend says he'll help me through the process this coming weekend and I should be able to say a lot more.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

That.
    Sounds.
    BRILLIANT.

HAVE MY MONEY. TAKE IT, TAKE IT ALL.

This is possibly the most interesting idea for a game ever. Even if it were to be abandoned, you should be enshrined for coming up with such an idea. I should probably go lay down before I start babbling even more.

tl;dr: Sounds cool.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

And you waited how long to tell us about it? I half wish you HADN'T told me because then I wouldn't be annoyed I can't play it right now...

+1 to Sounds Cool. Adding totally AWESOME to the statement.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, then.

Internet, don't fail me now.

/Tab, /search: "most epic word ever" /enter.

Internet, you failed me.

OK, then. I will understate, since I cannot understate.

That's a really unusual idea, a very basic one... sort of like the original ideas of Aristotle's, which led to European Alchemy (wind/water/earth/fire).

One thing I'll say: PROGRESSIVE START. I am totally doing this in every game ever, from now on... how to make it work in Pathfinder, though...

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I have quite a lot yet to do, I'm nowhere near done. But it IS very heartening that there are people out there that like this stuff. At the end of the first test, I was kind of thinking it was just me that would enjoy this stuff.

That.
    Sounds.
    BRILLIANT.

HAVE MY MONEY. TAKE IT, TAKE IT ALL.

This is possibly the most interesting idea for a game ever. Even if it were to be abandoned, you should be enshrined for coming up with such an idea. I should probably go lay down before I start babbling even more.

tl;dr: Sounds cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    And you waited how long to tell us about it? I half wish you HADN'T told me because then I wouldn't be annoyed I can't play it right now...

+1 to Sounds Cool. Adding totally AWESOME to the statement.

OK, then.

Internet, don't fail me now.

/Tab, /search: "most epic word ever" /enter.

Internet, you failed me.

OK, then. I will understate, since I cannot understate.

That's a really unusual idea, a very basic one... sort of like the original ideas of Aristotle's, which led to European Alchemy (wind/water/earth/fire).

One thing I'll say: PROGRESSIVE START. I am totally doing this in every game ever, from now on... how to make it work in Pathfinder, though...
    Progressive Start is a very interesting idea, and takes some peculiar staging. Because of the life/death/growth cycle in my game, it fits in rather cleanly. It is possible, though difficult, to integrate in d20 and other standard TT RPG games. Though I was considering trying to draw up a basic mechanic.. Not quite sure how it'd work out.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

If you *can* draw it up, I'd love that...

Maybe it'd help with giving us stuff that can't touch your copyright?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

This sounds amazing in more ways than I care to count. Can't wait to see this in action. Count me in for any and all playtests.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been thinking about it all day, and may take a crack at it (yay for first homebrew!), at least for Pathfinder, and link it here.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-04-15 at 10:35 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been thinking about it all day, and may take a crack at it (yay for first homebrew!), at least for Pathfinder, and link it here.
    Feel free! I did a bit of pondering myself, and decided that it wouldn't quite work out how it did for Fourthland. Given the way Fourthland characters grow, it's worked cleanly into everything.

For d20 games, I think it'd be something more along the lines of "You're character is already fully developed, you just need to figure out who he is", where during the first session your actions determine where things get put. You'd of course need some better system than random allocation of character features.. This is where the mechanic would come in. I'm honestly interested to see what you'll come up with.

Edit: I showed my copy-right friend the recent posts on this thread, and he's as enthusiastic as ever for me to get rolling. And now my test-players are interested in playing this regularly while we wait for everyone else to show up.. With any luck I can start cranking out materials, now that I'm a little more confident in my foundation.

Random teaser-idea: When I get the base version of the rules done and typed up, I miiiight be willing to send the beta version to some people here on the forums to participate in a PbP using a chat service of some sort, possibly Steam or an IRC channel. This of course would be after my players have deemed the Alpha-Version not atrocious. It'll more than likely be a while.

And another random tidbit: It's a d4 game. To play, each player needs a single d4. Or I suppose you could just pass one around. Or flip two coins, in a pinch.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-04-15 at 11:49 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Feel free! I did a bit of pondering myself, and decided that it wouldn't quite work out how it did for Fourthland. Given the way Fourthland characters grow, it's worked cleanly into everything.

For d20 games, I think it'd be something more along the lines of "You're character is already fully developed, you just need to figure out who he is", where during the first session your actions determine where things get put. You'd of course need some better system than random allocation of character features.. This is where the mechanic would come in. I'm honestly interested to see what you'll come up with.

Edit: I showed my copy-right friend the recent posts on this thread, and he's as enthusiastic as ever for me to get rolling. And now my test-players are interested in playing this regularly while we wait for everyone else to show up.. With any luck I can start cranking out materials, now that I'm a little more confident in my foundation.

Random teaser-idea: When I get the base version of the rules done and typed up, I miiiight be willing to send the beta version to some people here on the forums to participate in a PbP using a chat service of some sort, possibly Steam or an IRC channel. This of course would be after my players have deemed the Alpha-Version not atrocious. It'll more than likely be a while.

And another random tidbit: It's a d4 game. To play, each player needs a single d4. Or I suppose you could just pass one around. Or flip two coins, in a pinch.
    Firsty first first firsteses.

Totally in. I'll PM you my Steam name and Skype info the moment I finish this "Progressive Start" attempt.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit of emphasis added.

But yeah, if and when the above occurs, you can probably count yourself in. The reason I want to use a chat thing like those instead of standard PbP on the forums is 1) Still dealing with copyright and 2) Things at the start obviously move pretty quick, and the forums would slow that down considerably.

Though we WOULD need to work out time zone stuff... Eh, the worst that could happen is people staying up till 2 in the morning trying to understand an entirely new universe. I don't know about you guys, but I do that anyways

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

A bit of emphasis added.

But yeah, if and when the above occurs, you can probably count yourself in. The reason I want to use a chat thing like those instead of standard PbP on the forums is 1) Still dealing with copyright and 2) Things at the start obviously move pretty quick, and the forums would slow that down considerably.

Though we WOULD need to work out time zone stuff... Eh, the worst that could happen is people staying up till 2 in the morning trying to understand an entirely new universe. I don't know about you guys, but I do that anyways
    I know, I know. Nevertheless, I'll be PMing it to you now, because I have finished my super-speedy attempt at Progressive Start.

Progressive Start. It needs some work, methinks.

In other news, I usually work at laaaaaaaaate night anyway. Games with my player start at 10:00 my time.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Progressive Start. It needs some work, methinks.
    Already posted on it.

In other news, I usually work at laaaaaaaaate night anyway. Games with my player start at 10:00 my time.
    Sounds like a good time, right? Late night gaming is a lot of fun, bet it gets.. Weird. Especially when you start questioning the fundaments of the universe. "Why do swords do more damage than pillows? Huh? Who decided that? Or SPOONS. What about SPOOONS. We should change them to 2d12. That sounds like a GREAT IDEA." (Thank Boccob this isn't based on a true story)
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-04-16 at 04:40 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Already posted on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke
    Sounds like a good time, right? Late night gaming is a lot of fun, bet it gets.. Weird. Especially when you start questioning the fundaments of the universe. "Why do swords do more damage than pillows? Huh? Who decided that? Or SPOONS. What about SPOOONS. We should change them to 2d12. That sounds like a GREAT IDEA." (Thank Boccob this isn't based on a true story)
    Yup, yup. You are faaaaaaaast.

I'd love to talk about that whatnot... Oh, right. PM. Lemme get that done.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-04-16 at 01:01 AM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

THAT was quite the conversation. Exceedingly enjoyable.

Status of my hope in mankind: Notably raised, for the moment.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

THAT was quite the conversation. Exceedingly enjoyable.

Status of my hope in mankind: Notably raised, for the moment.
    Same here!

Number of people with whom I can discuss philosophy and deep metaphysical thoughts: +1.

BTW, when will you be able to get back to that copyright expert?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, when will you be able to get back to that copyright expert?
    I should be doing the basic version of the copyrighting this weekend. And it's official: My group will be playing Fourthland a little each week, before our main GURPS game. And I'm quickly filling out content. I'm.. I'm really liking it. Things are going well. Soon I should be able to type up an Alpha version, with the basic materials.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I should be doing the basic version of the copyrighting this weekend. And it's official: My group will be playing Fourthland a little each week, before our main GURPS game. And I'm quickly filling out content. I'm.. I'm really liking it. Things are going well. Soon I should be able to type up an Alpha version, with the basic materials.
    VICTORY WILL BE MINNNNNE!

Or a playtest. That works too. If/when it's ok with you, on every other tuesday afternoon.

/Sanity mode0

Glad to hear it's coming along so well! Could you tell us how the roleplaying side of it goes, at least?
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-04-17 at 12:13 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

VICTORY WILL BE MINNNNNE!

Or a playtest. That works too. If/when it's ok with you, on every other tuesday afternoon.

/Sanity mode0

Glad to hear it's coming along so well! Could you tell us how the roleplaying side of it goes, at least?
    Every other tuesday afternoon? That sounds quite specific.

As far as roleplaying goes, the first game didn't get around to a whole lot. I kind of spazzed in the middle, given the relative failure of the first test. Mostly they've begun to explore their world, which should be quite the interesting journey. You guys remember the friend of mine that gave me the idea for Magitech? Well he's in this game. I'm kind of afraid of what he'll do when he starts understanding things.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Every other tuesday afternoon? That sounds quite specific.

As far as roleplaying goes, the first game didn't get around to a whole lot. I kind of spazzed in the middle, given the relative failure of the first test. Mostly they've begun to explore their world, which should be quite the interesting journey. You guys remember the friend of mine that gave me the idea for Magitech? Well he's in this game. I'm kind of afraid of what he'll do when he starts understanding things.
    I can be more specific if you like.

So you have the perfect play tester, it sounds like.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII