New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [EMPIRE!] The Grand Ball of 336

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    During the dance, which she thoroughly enjoyed, she asked Iconeh:
    "So, what do you think of this ball? You got to be happy to see your family again, after spending so much time in Kasumor."
    *Answer*
    "Well, I'm enjoying it, although I feel the eyes of the crowd on myself constantly. But I have to get used to that, for when I inherit Kasumor from father."
    They danced for a while and after the song was over, she bid Iconeh goodbye for now to mingle in the crowd once more.
    *Iconeh's Answer*
    "The ball itself is very grand, and yes I enjoyed catching up with my cousins and aunt. Although I’ve not been as homesick as I thought, in no small part thanks to your exelent company"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ever the shy one, Salline blushes as the Hrathan Guildmaster spoke to her.
    "Ah, yes. My Lord. In Ashenia, one sees those who are neither Human nor Dwarven so rarely. I admit I am fascinated by them."
    After a brief moment of silence, she continued:
    "Oh, where are my manners? Mother would be so distressed if I insulted someone. I am Salline the Younger of Ashenia," she said, bowing as she did.
    Loki Ethmorl, high Guildmaster of Hrathan and Tuor. Now- um...

He partially suppresses his own blushing as he stumbles over what to say.

You know, I'll just skip to the important bit- may I have this dance?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Loki Ethmorl, high Guildmaster of Hrathan and Tuor. Now- um...

He partially suppresses his own blushing as he stumbles over what to say.

You know, I'll just skip to the important bit- may I have this dance?
    "Of course My Lord, though I must warn you I am not a very skilled dancer."
    She held out a hand for the High Guildmaster to take, hoping that he didn't try too difficult a dance style to begin with.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chacmon View Post
    *From a couch studded in obsidian several white and red haired people with reddish skin emerge, King Aitah and his family have arrived. Aitah and his wife Teopixqui lead their family towards Lord Gareth Serendel*

“Greetings Lord Gareth Serendel, My thanks for inviting us to your great ball and for the renting of a room for the Earthguards conference. I’m afraid I must leave for said conference right away but if you have any questions please direct them to my wife Teopixqui.”
    Gareth rose to greet Aitah and his wife. "I admit, King Aitah, that I do not know much of your lands. Perhaps later this evening it would be agreeable to speak of our lands to each other, and the world in general, if you so wish?" That is, after all my other diplomacies have come to an end, he thinks to himself. The king was curious about the mountainous regions he'd only seen on the horizon in his travels in Kasumor. "I once spent some time in Kasumor. I still remember at night, there was a redish glow from the mountains...a beautiful and eerie sight. The room is not rented, but freely given. Marius and I have a mostly friendly past from my younger years, though I admit it has been some time." Gareth nods a farewell, and turns to Teopixqui. "If later I should get some time, you would do an old man an honor to share a dance."

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    The Duke raised both of his eyebrows as he was abruptly interrupted, rather annoyed by his ego being so easily shoved aside. His left hand instinctively lowered itself to his hip, but he jerked it away as he remembered he wasn't in Sympolemou anymore. Rudeness could not be solved with an iron blade and a quick hand. Still, his teeth gritted together, and he merely waited for his time. He didn't even truly appreciate the wine, as he set it down next to him and promptly forgot about it. Were it not for the fawning and adoration of his consort, he would have remained sour, but his indignation quickly cleared away.

"Yes, yes. Of course, you're a busy man within his own kingdom trying to manage this organized chaos. Perhaps later we could talk. Until then, I won't keep you busy."

And with that the Duke tipped his head in respect for the King of Lyradis, and promptly sat back down at his seat.
    Spoiler: OOC for Wombat
    Show
    Sounds good to me, do you want to start or should I?
    Gareth observed the action of setting down the wine, and inwardly flinched. He would have to make up for Ashenia's interruption later, and further, find a drink the Duke enjoyed. Gareth nodded in return as he departed, a look of apology plain on his face.

Spoiler: OOC - Tychris
    Show
    See bottom of post to start our conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    "Please excuse me Prince Tendaji, but I see our host, and wish to thank him for these glorious festivities."

Andust bows with a smile and makes his way across the ballroom to get a word with Gareth Serendel.

"Lord Gareth, I am happy to see you are enjoying yourself. You have done a marvelous job as host of such a wonderful party. Though, I must confess, I am about to make your party something to talk about for some time."

King Andust grabs a nearby glass and fork, tapping on the side to get everyone's attention. The ballroom quiets a bit, and he boldly announces great news.

"Greetings everyone. Now that I have your attention, I gladly ask you to congratulate my daughter, Crown Princess Yasira and he husband to be, Ruffino of Guilder on their pending nuptials. I shall perform the ceremony myself, and am glad to have you all as witnesses."

King Andust then draws his wooden sword, and throws it to his daughter Yasira.

"Be sure he never displeases you, my daughter."

Princess Yasira blushes, and mock hits her new husband, the now Prince-Consort Ruffino.

"I fear you shall have to excuse us. There are other matters of our wedding ceremony to complete." Princess Yasira says before she kisses her new husband.

Heinrich appears at the King's shoulder. "I still don't know why you decided on this stunt. They could have been married without trying to upstage the Grand Ball here. You might as well mock our hosts openly." he said, low and measured to his brother, the King.

"Dear Brother, since when have I ever been one for mocking? This is only to get the other guests talking, as I have explained to you a dozen times. The Marriage at the Ball will be an event that is easily overshadowed by the talks here, but for tonight, all eyes are on Celero."
    Next in the long line of greetings was King Andust, from Celero. What was the title he went by again? Gareth thought to himself. Gareth was having an enjoyable time, but his patience was freying a bit. Perhaps after Andust, he would leave the table and actually interact. His children, aside from Jain, were all up and mingling, afterall. Gareth thanked Andust for his compliment on the party, giving credit where credit is due, and mentioning the fact that Benjamin was the mastermind behind the event. Before he could go on, however, he quirked an eyebrow at the King. "What do you mean 'something to talk about'?" Gareth did not like surprises, especially at his own event.

Instead of answering, Andust picks up Gareth's own wine glass and fork, and begins tapping them to get the attention of the guests. Gareth's face harded quickly. "What do..."

Gareth was then interrupted by King Andust's announcement. Bold, he thought, that was it. More like brash.

The king sat in quiet anger, though he hid it very well. He watched the brief ceremony, and studied the onlookers. He was looking for one, the Doge from the country to the north of Lyradis - Guilder. There.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    The ceremony comes as a shock to everyone, except the unflappable Doge, who manages to position at least three amateur portrait artists with perfect vantage points of the entire ceremony. Even the dancing ends after a while, as everyone crowds around Celero's and Guilder's delegations, watching the grandiose, bronze-gilt wedding.

When they're pronounced, and the war-like couple troops off for something even more festive than an international Grand Ball, the wedding is over, and everyone returns. Still, Tumberink seems fairly inclined to like everyone now, and distributes little bronze gifts right and left.
    The Doge had an almost smug look on his face. He had known this was going to happen. Gareth might have understood had Andust been on his own in this - he had never been to Lyradis, and Lyradis had never visited there. Customs could have been different (as they were with this sword spun wedding). But Guilder knew better.

Gareth stood, and stepped curtly over to Andust. "Might I have a word with you and Tumberink for a moment?" he asked in level tones, gesturing toward the ruler from Guilder. After a moment, Gareth approached Tumberink as he passes out bronze ornaments.

"Tumberink," Gareth greets the man, giving no title or tilt of head, the warmth of earlier greetings not apparent on his face. "Welcome to my realm, and congratulations. May I have a word." The sentence was formed to be a question in theory, but there was no question in it.

Gareth awaited both rulers, until they followed him to a private room. It was much smaller than the blue room that had been provided by, and only a simple table with 4 chairs. The King of Lyradis looks plainly at the two of them as they stood, and says as he sits down, "I'd offer you both a chair, but it seems like you both have already sat down."

He pointed at the one who appeared to be the host, judging from the amount of people around him. They walked up to him.
    "Lord Gareth, nice to have your acquaintance. I am Dorona Flamestrike, husband of Ravena Earthguard, sister of Marius Earthguard. This is Leona, my daughter."
    Dorona bowed respectfully and saw his daugher make a gracefull courtsy besides him. Good that she was seeing that needed to be subtle....for now.
    Benjamin looks startled as Dorona addressed him as his father. "Oh! Excuse me! I am actually his son, Benjamin, but the pleasure is mine." He bows discreetly, and glances to the table his father was sitting at. "I am not sure where my father has gotten to...but should I see him I'll direct him your way. In the mean time, allow me introduce my wife, Fayenne."

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    Prince Akali and his sister Alara enter with a small entourage of younger lesser nobles of Qarimos, leaving a slightly lame elephant outside. After a few exchanges of greetings Akali makes arrangements with one of the Doges' knights to meet the Doge later. A trading factor takes advantage of every meeting to press samples of spices on those present.

Akali heads out to join the dancing with the daughter of Qarta's harbourmaster, but Alara seeks a partner among the more prestigious nobility present. She passes by the Serendels and peremptorily gestures at one of them. "Jain, yes? You will show me how you dance in Lyradis. I cannot abide a man who cannot dance."
    Jain by this point is sitting alone at the Lyradis table, and was quietly watching the festivities. He was contemplating his next move, since his brother's event had become such a success. If he had any hope of gaining the crown, he would need to step up his game. He glanced up at the sound of his name. Akali...

Jain smiled smoothly, but he was a tad light headed. In his lessons, he had sketches of the nearby rulers and their children. While some were harder to remember, he always had easily remembered Akali. Since he was young, he had had a crush on her. He always had wondered what she was like in reality, and he had hoped that during the Ball, he might meet her. Little did he know, she would find him!

Jain smiled smoothly, and stood easily. "I am, and you are Akali. It would honor me to dance with you. As I understand, the dancing styles of our two countries are not very different, but I am told that my body is one of a dancer," he said easily. He offered an arm, and led her to the floor. Without pause, he swept her into the dance, and began moving to the tempo, leading her with his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental
    When prince Olwyt finished his dance with Lyra, Korath rose to greet her.
    "Shall we dance my love? Slowly and gently of course. Then perhaps, we can have a talk with my parents, I know they must have been very excited to hear the news."
    Lyra thanked Olwyt for the dance, and then turned to her husband as he approached. She beamed, and let him take her hands, as they gently went to the syncopation of the music. "I would love to meet your family. You've been looking forward to it for weeks. While I am a tad nervous to meet them, if they're anything like you, all will be fine." She smiled up at Korath happily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon
    ((Mr Doom, did I discover anything in my search?

Also everyone, do feel free to grab one of my characters to interact with. Also, Jaten is not far from the entrance with a couple of Tekorvites under a tree reading a scroll.))
    You search the hall hastily, searching for Jaten. The hall itself was a long oval, held within a rectangle, with thick pillars of polished limestone rising from floor to ceiling along the wall. There were several larger double doors that led to outlaying hallways, one of which seemed to be getting lots of traffic from guests. There are attendants at the door guiding each one who enters to the area they wished to go. You briefly see Lord Gareth leading the rulers from Celero and Guilder down the hall, an unhappy look plain on his face.

The tables in the hall are mostly empty, their plates being cleared by attendants that most of the party goers don't even notice. The party is thickest by the table the drinks are located, and on the dance floor. A musical troupe plays a waltz of some form.

Behind the Lyradisian family seats are two sets of doors set into the corners, where the attendants disappear with the discarded plates, ware, and dishes. This is opposite from the entry doors to the Grand Hall, and the conference hallway is to the right wall from the entrance. The wall to the left has wide windows set between the pillars that support the ceiling, and there are tapestries hung from the other walls. The windows give an excellent view of the city, which stretches below you. The sun is just setting, casting a red glow onto the gardens under the windows. Under a birch tree, you notice a figure watching the sun in reverance. The form looks familiar.

Spoiler: Tychris and Wombat - Later on
    Show
    Gareth sat wearily by one of the Hall's windows in a comfy chair, Duke Bloodfang taking the other. A small table sat between them, and a bottle of rum was placed between them. "I apologize for the delay, Duke, but I desired to give you the whole of my attention, and with so many distractions," he exchanged a look with the Duke, "that wasn't going be possible here. If there is any courtesy in these rulers, they will see me in private conversation at this time, and await the end of our meeting. If not...well, then my patience has run thin, and they will be told in my best way to phrase it to 'piss off'. My sons will likely ensure this does not happen, at any case." Gareth leans back a bit. "So, what can I do for you?"
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-29 at 11:12 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post

A very shiny bronze gift being offered distracts Ambvard. He bows slighly, receiving the gift with both hands while thanking the giver in Formal Speech.
    "I see you for the fist time. I am Elder Ambvard,"Ambvard says according to Tekorvite tradition before bowing low in the Razdissi fashion, "May we be well met."

((EDIT - Typo))
    "Indeed, Elder Ambvard! Perhaps we should make each others' acquaintances greater?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lyradis(Wombat)
    The Doge had an almost smug look on his face. He had known this was going to happen. Gareth might have understood had Andust been on his own in this - he had never been to Lyradis, and Lyradis had never visited there. Customs could have been different (as they were with this sword spun wedding). But Guilder knew better.

Gareth stood, and stepped curtly over to Andust. "Might I have a word with you and Tumberink for a moment?" he asked in level tones, gesturing toward the ruler from Guilder. After a moment, Gareth approached Tumberink as he passes out bronze ornaments.

"Tumberink," Gareth greets the man, giving no title or tilt of head, the warmth of earlier greetings not apparent on his face. "Welcome to my realm, and congratulations. May I have a word." The sentence was formed to be a question in theory, but there was no question in it.

Gareth awaited both rulers, until they followed him to a private room. It was much smaller than the blue room that had been provided by, and only a simple table with 4 chairs. The King of Lyradis looks plainly at the two of them as they stood, and says as he sits down, "I'd offer you both a chair, but it seems like you both have already sat down."
    Tumberink shrugs, sitting down calmly in his chair and raising both eyebrows. "I cannot believe, Gareth--" (He "neglects" titles as well, it seems) "I simply cannot believe that you are going to make such an uproar over a simple bit of political positioning. Surely you understand that! Unless... of course..." He grins now, taking some joy in poking at his host, "Are you Jealous, dear Gareth? Jealous of how beautiful the wedding was? Afraid it'll overshadow you? Well, I'm sure you can grow up past it. It's nothing between two great rulers, is it?" He ends with a magnanimous sweep of his arms, and to anyone passing by, it seems as if he's doing his best to make peace.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Olwyt had been startled by the sudden appearance of Nyllana, and he felt an embarrassing heat fly to his face again,

"No, not looking for you. I mean, I wasn't looking for anyone. I mean, you have?" Olwyt stopped before he asked what had been said, "I've heard about you too. From my father. And my blademaster, he's a Kasumorian, Correla Ironthorn. Do you know him? You probably don't. I don't know everyone from Woodwind that's for sure," he laughed to try and fill the air, "Do you want to get something to drink?" He asked, hoping a little wine would settle his nerves.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"King Gareth, know that this was not intended as a slight, but as a celebration. Let the world see the Lyradis was the site and host of an impromptu wedding between two of it's beloved allies!"

Andust sighed. It looks like Heinrich was right after all thought the Celerii King as he sat.

"Let me know if I can do anything to make it up to you. My culture requires all slights to be rectified, and I intend to do just that. I was planning to give you a gift, but I do not want it to be mistaken for a bribe now that I see you are angry."
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-01-29 at 01:42 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

He protests for a second, but then grins. "You're a pretty insistent gal, aren't ya?" After a few swings around the floor though, Pirant isn't complaining at all. Rather, he's whooping at their speed around the room. "You... that dance... is it regional? Guilder must have it!"
    "Perhaps it can." She gives him a sly grin and whispered something in his ear.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think we can leave these two alone. So erm... marriage arranged?

The Doge nods. "So, as we are emissaries for our great people, shall you brag of your glorious nation first, or I?" The twinkle in his eye shows the joke, but it seems he's trying to move towards trade talk, though there's plenty of leeway in his answer.
    "Well, age before beauty. I must admit, I know so little of your nation. I hear that you are ruled by the wealthiest? It's an interesting system, but I do wonder how exactly you keep it stable. What keeps the nation from changing hands every few weeks with the markets?" It was fairly obvious that Tendaji's interest was genuine. Coming from a tradition of ancestral royalty it was quite a foreign concept to him. He gave a nod towards Faruha and Pirant. "They seem to be hitting it off."

OOC: I guess this conversation is happening in a time bubble a few minutes ago
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-01-29 at 12:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    "Perhaps it can." She gives him a sly grin and whispered something in his ear.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think we can leave these two alone. So erm... marriage arranged?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am totally OK with not going any farther.

"Well, age before beauty. I must admit, I know so little of your nation. I hear that you are ruled by the wealthiest? It's an interesting system, but I do wonder how exactly you keep it stable. What keeps the nation from changing hands every few weeks with the markets?" It was fairly obvious that Tendaji's interest was genuine. Coming from a tradition of ancestral royalty it was quite a foreign concept to him. He gave a nod towards Faruha and Pirant. "They seem to be hitting it off."

OOC: I guess this conversation is happening in a time bubble a few minutes ago [/QUOTE]

Spoiler
    Show

Yay for time-bubbles?
    "Ah! That's a very interesting question, you know. See, there are a few things: first of all, the next five richest men are all put into the government, and cannot challenge until the Doge dies. This means that there's a really large gap, and anyone who wants to be Doge will have to prove themselves. Besides that, anyone who is to become Doge must train under the previous one for at least a year. So that prevents a quick turnover rate."

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #70

"Of course My Lord, though I must warn you I am not a very skilled dancer."
    She held out a hand for the High Guildmaster to take, hoping that he didn't try too difficult a dance style to begin with.
    We'll take it slow, then.

Loki takes the offered hand, and leads her out onto the floor. She proved to be a little clumsy, but in an endearing, not an awkward manner. He was soon smiling broadly. The smile damped somewhat as a thought occurred to him.

Ashenia, that's on the other side of the world, correct? Up in the far north-west?

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Olwyt had been startled by the sudden appearance of Nyllana, and he felt an embarrassing heat fly to his face again,

"No, not looking for you. I mean, I wasn't looking for anyone. I mean, you have?" Olwyt stopped before he asked what had been said, "I've heard about you too. From my father. And my blademaster, he's a Kasumorian, Correla Ironthorn. Do you know him? You probably don't. I don't know everyone from Woodwind that's for sure," he laughed to try and fill the air, "Do you want to get something to drink?" He asked, hoping a little wine would settle his nerves.
    "Something to drink? Sure, I wonder if they have any good mead here. Let's go to the table."
    Nyllana pulled Olwyt along to the table.
    "Hhhmm, let's see, I need to try this now I have the chance. I mean, I'm going to inherit Kasumor from father. When that happens, I won't be able to drink when I please anymore."
    Nyllana poured a cup of mead for herself and a cup of wine for Olwyt.
    "So, you're the heir of Woodwind, correct? How did your father prepare you for the throne?"
    She took a sip from her cup, looking over the edge of it at Olwyt, awaiting his response.

Meanwhile, Leona was looking around for a potential target, when she spotted Iconeh at a table, pouring wine into his cup. A broad, wicked grin appears on her face:
    "Oooohh Icci, there you are, lets DANCE!"
    She called out to Iconeh, grabbing him by the shoulder and dragging him stunned and speachless to the dancefloor.

From the corner of her eye, Nyllana say Iconeh being dragged to the dancefloor by Leona. She smiled, glad it was Iconeh and not her or even worse, a nobleman who could take offense being dragged around like that. She focused her gaze back on Olwyt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Royce managed to hold back a blush, and instead bowed as Ryella introduced herself. Ryella...such a lovely name... The prince suddenly realized Ryella had posed a question, and snapped out of it. "Oh, um...I am Royce Sereden, third son of Gareth, Lord of Lyradis." He regained his composure a bit, but he felt like an idiot. Upon the offer to spar, Royce raised his eyebrow. "Spar? Now?" Royce looked around, and then drew a bit closer with a grin. "If you insist. Though, be ready for a little more staring. After all, one must be watchful of the movements of his...opponent."
    Ryella nodded, a small smile upon her lips.
    "So, I assume you know a place where we can do a little sparring?"
    She put her hand upon the hilt of her sabre.
    "Let us do until first blood. We would not want you to get hurt, right? Lead the way when you are ready, my lord."
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-01-29 at 02:49 PM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, I'm the heir," Olwyt said after a good gulp of wine, "Preparation is still ongoing, father says I'll never be ready, says no one ever will be. You probably are though, you seem ready to me. Ready to be leading Kasumor I mean," Olwyt swallowed as she glanced off in the other direction,

"Mostly I've been going over tactics and being trained in how to use a bow and sword, I've done some reading of my grandfather's notes on the other countries and I know a lot about Kasumor, at least as much as my father does. We went through there on our way here, it's a beautiful land. With beautiful people," he added looking into Nyllana's eyes, bolstered by the dulled sense of embarrassment his swig had brought him.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Tumberink shrugs, sitting down calmly in his chair and raising both eyebrows. "I cannot believe, Gareth--" (He "neglects" titles as well, it seems) "I simply cannot believe that you are going to make such an uproar over a simple bit of political positioning. Surely you understand that! Unless... of course..." He grins now, taking some joy in poking at his host, "Are you Jealous, dear Gareth? Jealous of how beautiful the wedding was? Afraid it'll overshadow you? Well, I'm sure you can grow up past it. It's nothing between two great rulers, is it?" He ends with a magnanimous sweep of his arms, and to anyone passing by, it seems as if he's doing his best to make peace.
    "King Gareth, know that this was not intended as a slight, but as a celebration. Let the world see the Lyradis was the site and host of an impromptu wedding between two of it's beloved allies!"

Andust sighed. It looks like Heinrich was right after all thought the Celerii King as he sat.

"Let me know if I can do anything to make it up to you. My culture requires all slights to be rectified, and I intend to do just that. I was planning to give you a gift, but I do not want it to be mistaken for a bribe now that I see you are angry."
    It was fortunate the Guildian Ruler also had the Celerii king vouching to smooth things over. Guilder was salting the wound while Celero was attempting to bandage it.

Glaring at the Guilder ruler, Gareth spoke in low tones. "It is NOT the event itself that causes my anger, Tumberink. You don't see me going to your kingdom and borrowing money without asking? And you best watch your tongue on jealousy. You're self assuming banter has dampened our company, and you best find better means of amusement in the company of great lords, lest you find yourself no longer one." Gareth's tone was dangerous, and despite his knowledge in Guilder's military forces, and how they towered over Lyradis', he was unafraid to show his anger. An honest king came first.

"Now then," Gareth said, turning to the Celerii King, and softening a bit. "I accept your apology. However, I ask in the future that you do not presume. You could have at least informed me of the event. All I ask is communication...and perhaps we should talk of us becoming more of the beloved allies you speak of. That way, this misunderstanding does not happen a second time. Alliances are about communication and understanding, after all."

Ryella nodded, a small smile upon her lips.
    "So, I assume you know a place where we can do a little sparring?"
    She put her hand upon the hilt of her sabre.
    "Let us do until first blood. We would not want you to get hurt, right? Lead the way when you are ready, my lord."
    Royce begins to lead the princess from Kasumor toward the main doors, with one stop to take his sword that hung on his chair. It was a thin, long blade made of bronze, durable yet light. It was well kept, and not ornate. Royce felt a blade was beauty enough, if you knew how to keep it. He brought them to a vacant corridor within the complex, and stepped back from the princess, ready for the duel.

"By your leave, shall we dance?" he said, smiling with humor.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-30 at 01:21 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now then," Gareth said, turning to the Celerii King, and softening a bit. "I accept your apology. However, I ask in the future that you do not presume. You could have at least informed me of the event. All I ask is communication...and perhaps we should talk of us becoming more of the beloved allies you speak of. That way, this misunderstanding does not happen a second time. Alliances are about communication and understanding, after all."
    "I agree wholeheartedly, and blame my traits of being a hopeless romantic on top of a master of drama." Said the Celerii king apologetically.

Andust turned toward the Doge "Well, Tumberdink, we have irritated our guest long enough. I bid the both of you adieu. Perhaps I shall still see either of you on the dance floor?" King Andust bowed, and left the room.

After the scolding he had just received, Andust was in the mood for merriment so he bagen to search for a dance partner for a while. Andust offered his hand for a dance to a few ladies, being rejected each time in turn before sulking at a corner table near the alcohol.

I had hoped to dance, but perhaps I shall get drunk instead.

Andust looked for his brother to ask his counsel, and tell him that he was right all along. He could not spot Heinrich. The King's brother would be hard to miss, he was a tall man, even for a Celerii, and his cap added another foot to spot him with. Still, when Heinrich didn't wish to be found, he could not be found. Andust decided to give up on dancing and looking for his brother, and so began to work on his first drink of the night.

Now, here's to causing an incident with your host, you old fool, he thought as he downed his first glass of wine.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom
    Glaring at the Guilder ruler, Gareth spoke in low tones. "It is NOT the event itself that causes my anger, Tumberink. You don't see me going to your kingdom and borrowing money without asking? And you best watch your tongue on jealousy. You're self assuming banter has dampened our company, and you best find better means of amusement in the company of great lords, lest you find yourself no longer one." Gareth's tone was dangerous, and despite his knowledge in Guilder's military forces, and how they towered over Lyradis', he was unafraid to show his anger. An honest king came first.
    The Doge nods, though it seems his ire isn't satisfied by the leaving of Andust, but only increased. "No longer a great lord? What, and would you challenge the many masts of Guilder? I had come here to request an alliance between us, in order to alleviate your desperate metal shortages and my minor need of craftsmen, but..." He shrugs. "You seem to misinterpret my intent entirely. I was not stealing your ball or your money. I was merely taking an unclaimed opportunity, which is, I believe, the right of any brave warrior." He emphasizes his statement by raising both eyebrows in question. "Is Lyradis still going to be an amicable power, or shall our relations have to... sour?" He glares, doing his best to ignore the more-than-decorative sword at his waist.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-01-29 at 04:54 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah! That's a very interesting question, you know. See, there are a few things: first of all, the next five richest men are all put into the government, and cannot challenge until the Doge dies. This means that there's a really large gap, and anyone who wants to be Doge will have to prove themselves. Besides that, anyone who is to become Doge must train under the previous one for at least a year. So that prevents a quick turnover rate."
    "Ah that actually isn't as complicated as I had imagined then. So tell me, how do your people make all that money? Genivanans either sail ships for trade or don't even care about it. Half the villages in the jungle couldn't care less if the crown even minted coin."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

The young man says "I am pleased to meet you as well. My name is Rogar, the young woman to my left is my sister Berta, and the imposing man to my right is Erwin Corvens, Clanmaster of clan Corvens , and warden of the halls."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah that actually isn't as complicated as I had imagined then. So tell me, how do your people make all that money? Genivanans either sail ships for trade or don't even care about it. Half the villages in the jungle couldn't care less if the crown even minted coin."
    "We trade with almost every nation in small part, though I am working to open the doors for it on a massive, nation-wide scale. So, any good merchant prince will begin his life with a single ship, and trade until he can purchase shares of another, and continue until he has a fleet. They purchase what others need, and sell it to them, in exchange for things that are more valuable in other parts of the world, thusly trading up in value continuously. It is an age-old part of our life, and every boy learns his "economics" very early. It's bred into even the sailor's sons."

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

You search the hall hastily, searching for Jaten. The hall itself was a long oval, held within a rectangle, with thick pillars of polished limestone rising from floor to ceiling along the wall. There were several larger double doors that led to outlaying hallways, one of which seemed to be getting lots of traffic from guests. There are attendants at the door guiding each one who enters to the area they wished to go. You briefly see Lord Gareth leading the rulers from Celero and Guilder down the hall, an unhappy look plain on his face.

The tables in the hall are mostly empty, their plates being cleared by attendants that most of the party goers don't even notice. The party is thickest by the table the drinks are located, and on the dance floor. A musical troupe plays a waltz of some form.

Behind the Lyradisian family seats are two sets of doors set into the corners, where the attendants disappear with the discarded plates, ware, and dishes. This is opposite from the entry doors to the Grand Hall, and the conference hallway is to the right wall from the entrance. The wall to the left has wide windows set between the pillars that support the ceiling, and there are tapestries hung from the other walls. The windows give an excellent view of the city, which stretches below you. The sun is just setting, casting a red glow onto the gardens under the windows. Under a birch tree, you notice a figure watching the sun in reverance. The form looks familiar.
    The distractions increase as more people join Jaten outside. Scowling, she tries to focus on the writing but it grows too dark. Instead she contents herself with watching the sun set.

Finally as the sun sinks low enough over the mountains, Jaten turns around to find no less than eight people behind her. Even some of the higher ranking scouts were there! A little perturbed, Jaten orders an explanation. Upon hearing the scout's report, Jaten feels a little amused. Oh Ambvard, worrying of her on the basis of rumour alone. Surely there would not be assassins here who would be a problem. Even if there were, her death by assassination would cause more hassle than it was worth. Besides, the people she kept with her were highly trained bodyguards.

By the sounds of the report, not only was food consumed before nightfall but a strange marriage ceremony took place. Though the rulers from Celero and Guilder could have done almost anything to upset Lord Gareth, said marriage seems the most likely cause. Jaten makes a mental note of this, in case she must invite people of Celero or Guilder to her own country.

Finally, Jaten makes her way inside. Her entrance is less than spectacular, and one would not even be able to tell which of the people entering was the ruler if not for the way the surrounding people behaved around her. Jaten notes that most of the people in the Great Hall were in perhaps the finest clothing they owned, as expected. As for herself, a white, simply cut light cotton robe reached the floor, belted at the waist by an indigo piece of cloth tied into a bow at the back and flowing almost to the floor. All of the others were wearing the same style of clothing ((including the men)), but in more subtle colours such as earth brown or iron gray except for one. He was wearing a rust red robe and cowl with metallic iron coloured edging and no belt. Instead, a black stole with golden lettering of Tekorva was hung around his neck.

Jaten's sleeves were the longest of the group, nearly sweeping along the floor as she walked. Looking around quickly, Jaten finds a place to put her fur boots as others have done before her. While the floor looked spotless, most of the other people at the Grand Ball festival were still shod and probably trekking muck all over the place.

As her entourage dispersed aside from two of her bodyguards and the strange fellow in red, Jaten notices a familiar, short figure weave its way toward her. Glad to see Elder Ambvard again, Jaten walks with purpose toward the tables where the plates were being cleared away to inquire about food and whether she missed the feast.

((It's official. Mr Doom is awesome. ))

"Indeed, Elder Ambvard! Perhaps we should make each others' acquaintances greater?"
    Ambvard unintentionally allows irritation to show briefly. It was not the Razdissi way to be quite as polite as the Tekorvites, so he nods briefly, sets the small sample of bronze on a nearby table and strides away.

The nerve of him. Whoever he was...! There was no respect or even the offer of a name!

Quote Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
    The young man says "I am pleased to meet you as well. My name is Rogar, the young woman to my left is my sister Berta, and the imposing man to my right is Erwin Corvens, Clanmaster of clan Corvens , and warden of the halls."
    Taking this as a signal to rise, Orkin takes note of how the Pyronians introduced themselves. It would not do for the people of Tekorva to disrupt potential allies after all.
    "A pleasure. I'm afraid, however, I came only to arrange a meeting between your ruler Herzog Cardion and Elder Jaten. Elder Jaten thinks this is an excellent opportunity to discuss our trade established in 332 and Alliance proposed in 335." Orkin says, attempting to discreetly gesture at the pair behind him to rise. Evidently they had spent too much time reading books and not enough on studying their neighbour's ways.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

[I'm assuming this happens after I finish my previous conversation with Tendaji II, in my previous post.]
    Tumberink smiles just as falsely, though with a rather whiter tint. "Ah! Rum I do not mind, though it be common. It is the sailing man's drink, is it not? What is your conversation, good Duke?"
    [You would be correct. Enclosed pockets of time are fun! Sorry, just kind of being tackled by midterms now, can't focus.]
    "Yes, I've taken quite a bit to it after my short trip to the sea. Quite the thing the ocean, couldn't believe how big it was until I got on it, and I couldn't believe how deep it was until I fell in it!" And with that he laughed, a hearty true laugh. Pouring himself some of the rum, he slid the bottle over to the Doge to do as he pleased.
    Spoiler: To SamBurke only
    Show
    And for perhaps the first time in the history of Sympolemou, the Duke whispered.
    Now Doge, may I call you Tumberink? Tumberink, I don't think you are a stupid man, quite the contrary I have great respect for you. The Sympol people are...... Rather unique, to put it lightly, and thus do not reciept well to outsiders and non Sympol's. But your country has elicited great respect amongst the warrior tribes of my home. This world is dangerous, seasons change, and time can grind even mountains to dust. It should come to no surprise that with so many nations emerging simultaneously, looking towards the horizon, and wishing to flex their sovereignty that collisions will be made. In my heart of hearts I'm a warrior, and I can smell these things. It's brewing, deep underneath, and any year now some country will step on another countries paw and,"

The Duke snapped his claws together, crushing a peanut he had leisurely picked up as he spoke.

"Boom. Complete and total anarchy. Everyone leaping to grab one another throats and take what they can. I'm a beast of honor, and in the heat of battle, personally speaking,"

He raised his cup and took a drink, raising an eyebrow in the process.

"I always like having a back to lean on."

Spoiler: Later on - For TheWombat
    Show

The Duke looked at the bottle of rum, smiling as he bobbed his head softly left and right. He had taken to filing his claws against one another as he merely took in the scent of the drink. Slowly, his smile faded away to a far more neutral disposition.

"You know, I had a brother once."

Bloodfang tilted his head as he took a hold of his drink and studied it.

"Sadly he's not with us anymore, though I hope he's watching over me everyday. He was a good Sympol, he taught me a lot of what I know today. He showed me how to hunt, lying on our bellies for hours on end in the sticky mud, waiting for a single rabbit to pass by. He'd reach out, slash the rabbits foot, and pounce on it before it could run. Then he told me to try, and of course I try to impress him. I wait and I wait, until finally I spot a little deer, a skinny thing. When I try to jump on it, I almost lose all my teeth when it kicks me into the nearest tree!"

Bloodfang fell silent for a moment, almost lost in his own memory. Sighing, he continues, a tear rolling down his black fur.

"I loved him, really I did. But even when he died he taught me something. The world is dangerous, and it is cruel. Now more so then ever. We're in a state of flux, of unstable living conditions as new changes rise every day. Back at Sympolemou, my people are being poisoned by a mysterious egg that has appeared overnight. Now my people look to me in order to solve it. I've even heard that a new Blazing Avatar has been found, who will be sure to bring upheaval amongst the many followers of the Lord of Fire. I am born of order, I enjoy laws and stricture. Of normality and dependency. They are my virtues, my ideals, instilled into me at a young age. I see them in you to, much like how they were in my brother. Even now I hear of nations raising armies and setting their sights on the horizon. I have no doubt that if anyone dares to confront Lyradis they will be met with a rude awakening, but if you are to be beset at all sides, would it not be prudent to have a back to lean against?"
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #81

Royce begins to lead the princess from Kasumor toward the main doors, with one stop to take his sword that hung on his chair. It was a stout blade made of bronze, durable yet light. It was well kept, and not ornate. Royce felt a blade was beauty enough, if you knew how to keep it. He brought them to a vacant corridor within the complex, and stepped back from the princess, ready for the duel.

"By your leave, shall we dance?" he said, smiling with humor.
    When arrived at the corridor, she saw the prince stepping back, ready for combat. Or a dance, as he himself called it.
    "If it is a dance he want, I'll give him a dance he never forgets.", she thought to herself.
    With a smile, her eyes focuced on Royce, she slowly drew her weapon. It was strange weapon, with a wide, circular guard and a blade that was pointy but did not look very sharp. In addition, it seemed to made from some kind of black rock. When she drew her weapon, she sprung into her stance, wings spread out behind her to intimidate her opponent. Next moment, she attacked, feinting a straight lunge at her opponents head, but changing to attack his left arm instead. At the last moment, she foulded her wings back to protect them from any retaliatory attack. Her father's warrior blood began to boil, and all in the world seemed to slow down and focus on her single opponent. Which was not a bad thing, considering she thought he was quite the handsome man.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking this as a signal to rise, Orkin takes note of how the Pyronians introduced themselves. It would not do for the people of Tekorva to disrupt potential allies after all.
    "A pleasure. I'm afraid, however, I came only to arrange a meeting between your ruler Herzog Cardion and Elder Jaten. Elder Jaten thinks this is an excellent opportunity to discuss our trade established in 332 and Alliance proposed in 335." Orkin says, attempting to discreetly gesture at the pair behind him to rise. Evidently they had spent too much time reading books and not enough on studying their neighbour's ways.
    Rogar says Ah, father did mention that on the way here, but there is also some sort of "urgent matter" he needed to attend to. I do hope he comes back soon. If we had not been delayed, he likely would have spoken to you sooner.

No one notes that Berta has slipped away.

When arrived at the corridor, she saw the prince stepping back, ready for combat. Or a dance, as he himself called it.
    "If it is a dance he want, I'll give him a dance he never forgets.", she thought to herself.
    With a smile, her eyes focuced on Royce, she slowly drew her weapon. It was strange weapon, with a wide, circular guard and a blade that was pointy but did not look very sharp. In addition, it seemed to made from some kind of black rock. When she drew her weapon, she sprung into her stance, wings spread out behind her to intimidate her opponent. Next moment, she attacked, feinting a straight lunge at her opponents head, but changing to attack his left arm instead. At the last moment, she foulded her wings back to protect them from any retaliatory attack. Her father's warrior blood began to boil, and all in the world seemed to slow down and focus on her single opponent. Which was not a bad thing, considering she thought he was quite the handsome man.
    Depending on how engrossed you are in the fighting, you may notice that a young(13ish) girl is watching the "dance" and smiling slightly.
    Last edited by Arutha; 2014-01-30 at 02:59 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

"His child, but he is not your father? Truly Calorum is a stranger land than I had anticipated." Idrisa sipped her wine before continuing. "I mean no offence of course. Please call me Idrisa.
    "And you're right. This wine would go nicely with a one year old fine Sandrul, but alas, we didn't think of bringing any cheese with us at all. Tell me, I have heard of the bountiful herds of Calorum, do the people of Calorum produce much cheese?"
    Do not worry to much, I'm not easily offended. Technically Combulei is, of course, my father. However I was raised by the priest of Caluxdor, it was only at my 7th birthday that I really spoke with him. Nowadays we meet every so often, but mostly for faith related business. He is a great man don't get me wrong but I don't often see him as my father. But let’s not discuss matters so foreign to one another. *she smiles again*
    Tell me have you seen any man around that sparked a flame in your heart? *she smiles even more*
    "Only the foolish overlook the threat that kobolds actually pose." - Races of the Dragon

24. - Top - End - #84

"I agree wholeheartedly, and blame my traits of being a hopeless romantic on top of a master of drama." Said the Celerii king apologetically.

Andust turned toward the Doge "Well, Tumberdink, we have irritated our guest long enough. I bid the both of you adieu. Perhaps I shall still see either of you on the dance floor?" King Andust bowed, and left the room.

After the scolding he had just received, Andust was in the mood for merriment so he bagen to search for a dance partner for a while. Andust offered his hand for a dance to a few ladies, being rejected each time in turn before sulking at a corner table near the alcohol.

I had hoped to dance, but perhaps I shall get drunk instead.

Andust looked for his brother to ask his counsel, and tell him that he was right all along. He could not spot Heinrich. The King's brother would be hard to miss, he was a tall man, even for a Celerii, and his cap added another foot to spot him with. Still, when Heinrich didn't wish to be found, he could not be found. Andust decided to give up on dancing and looking for his brother, and so began to work on his first drink of the night.

Now, here's to causing an incident with your host, you old fool, he thought as he downed his first glass of wine.
    "Do you need a second glas of wine, my lord?" It sounded from behind Andust.
    When he turned around, Leona was standing there with two glasses of wine in her hands. "This wine is even more fine than the one you have there, I was told."
    When she gave him the glass of wine, she made a gracefull courtsy, saying:
    "My name is Leona Flamestrike sire, niece to the Shďnguard of Kasumor."
    She looked at Andust and the empty glass with wine he just gulped down.
    "Trying to forget something, my lord? That might not be wise though. In each mistake there is something to be learned from, however small or shameful the mistake was. It only takes prowess to recognise that you can learn. Of which you have aplenty I'm sure."
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-01-30 at 05:03 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Rogar says Ah, father did mention that on the way here, but there is also some sort of "urgent matter" he needed to attend to. I do hope he comes back soon. If we had not been delayed, he likely would have spoken to you sooner.

No one notes that Berta has slipped away.
    "Indeed. I do hate to be abrupt, however my throat is dry. If you would be so kind as to notify him of this, I can feel safe in tracking down some good ale." Orkin smiled a little uncomfortably. He was only a scout and unfortunately not the best one for conversation.

Orkin bows deeply and wishes the trio a good evening. As he is leaving, he notices Berta disappearing into the crowd but thinks nothing of it. After all, there are more important things to be keeping track of than young women. Like good ale for a Grand Ball Festival!

((EDIT - OOC - Heathen? X.X Aww. Also, your character could've said this before Kaaba wanders off.))
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-01-30 at 06:55 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, he shall know as soon as I see himRogar says to the back of the rapidly vanishing scout. After the man leaves, he mutters Well, that's one friend that father values, and I should hope the rest are as ...interesting. Next, the other heathen allies he so wants. he then looks around the room for one of the people Erwin had briefed him on.

Edit: Forgot the "waits until he leaves" bit. Oops
    Last edited by Arutha; 2014-01-30 at 07:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you need a second glass of wine, my lord?" It sounded from behind Andust.
    When he turned around, Leona was standing there with two glasses of wine in her hands. "This wine is even more fine than the one you have there, I was told."
    When she gave him the glass of wine, she made a graceful curtsy, saying:
    "My name is Leona Flamestrike sire, niece to the Shďnguard of Kasumor."
    She looked at Andust and the empty glass with wine he just gulped down.
    "Trying to forget something, my lord? That might not be wise though. In each mistake there is something to be learned from, however small or shameful the mistake was. It only takes prowess to recognize that you can learn. Of which you have aplenty I'm sure."
    Andust looked the lovely young woman up and down.
    "I apologize, but I was unaware such a beautiful lady was in attendance." he said, not yet feeling the wine he had hastily quaffed. He took her hand and kissed her ring finger, a sign of respect in Celero, among other things...

Careful Andust, she is thirty years your junior, and you are STILL married for the time being. His thoughts began to linger a moment on the recent family misfortunes and betrayals, as well as the rebuke he had just received from the host, Gareth Serendel, head of Lyradis, before returning his attentions to the present and the young woman before him.

"As for my choice in wine, one does not drink the fine vintages with the goal of dulling the senses, it only wastes the good stuff. But as I see you seem intent on distracting me, I must not be rude, and do my best to entertain you." He thought to wink, but decided against it, not sure if he stopped the gesture entirely, or caught himself in the middle. Leona's strange look followed by a smile led him to believe he had failed to completely hide the action, so he began to laugh, hoping his drinking companion would do the same.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

The Doge nods, though it seems his ire isn't satisfied by the leaving of Andust, but only increased. "No longer a great lord? What, and would you challenge the many masts of Guilder? I had come here to request an alliance between us, in order to alleviate your desperate metal shortages and my minor need of craftsmen, but..." He shrugs. "You seem to misinterpret my intent entirely. I was not stealing your ball or your money. I was merely taking an unclaimed opportunity, which is, I believe, the right of any brave warrior." He emphasizes his statement by raising both eyebrows in question. "Is Lyradis still going to be an amicable power, or shall our relations have to... sour?" He glares, doing his best to ignore the more-than-decorative sword at his waist.
    Andust's departure only gave Gareth more fire, and he didn't bother shutting the door Andust had left open. "I have no fear of masts on a mountain, Sir. You have quite a way of requesting alliances, if this is your way of doing so. Desperate? I have ample stores of metal, provided by mine allies. I have no need of your pity," Gareth said, biting the last word. "One of my craftsmen is worth four carts of your ugly metals, truth be told."

Gareth scoffed at Tumberink then. "I never accused you of stealing at all. DO YOU EVEN LISTEN?!" He stood, and began walking out the door toward the hall. "I will not abide your unsubtle threats. Lyradis may not seem like much to one such as you, what with our 'desperate' situation, but I will not sit by idley being insulted in my own kingdom." At this point, Gareth appeared to be unphased by who might hear the argument.

As her entourage dispersed aside from two of her bodyguards and the strange fellow in red, Jaten notices a familiar, short figure weave its way toward her. Glad to see Elder Ambvard again, Jaten walks with purpose toward the tables where the plates were being cleared away to inquire about food and whether she missed the feast.

((It's official. Mr Doom is awesome. ))
    The attendant looked at Jaten, and being unsure who or where this new person hailed, decided a deep bow was always a safe method of greeting.

"Unfortunatly, the feast is complete. However, we have ample enough amount of food leftover, if you are hungry. What shall I bring out for you?" The server paused momentarily, and gathered a deep breath. He then began listing each course that had been given to represent all the countries that had attended.

"From Gunung, we have seared beef and pineapple, served on a roasting branch. From Celero, broiled fish, served with grains and sauces. From Kasumor, a delicacy - mantis larva. I'm told it is excellent. From Eyrecradia, a mushroom in cream soup, served in a mushroom bowl. You can eat the bowl as much as the soup it contains. From Woodwind, roast boar searved over noodles, sauced to perfection. From Calorum, a steak served with ocean salts, with a side of potatoes. From Genivana, a salmon fillet and vegetables. From Hrathan and Tuor, we have a dark chocolate cake. The spices provided in many of the dishes is Qarimosi in origin. From our own lands, we have provided fruits and nuts from out forest, such as peanuts and bananas. From Razdis, a sampling of pipeweed has been procured, though I don't recommend chewing it, rather for a desert. It's been mixed with various herbs to enhance the flavor while it is smoked. From Guilder, hummus and crackers, a light appetizer." The attendant pause to take a breath.

"From Pryonia, a spinach and onion dish. From Tekorva, raw fish served over rice. I'm told the sticks given with the dish are used to eat with, but are difficult to use. From Sympolemou, Rabbit stew, hearty and served with sage. From Ashenia, a selection of cheeses and meats. From Bordeux, a sampling of venison, tender and braised." The attendant sighed at having concluded the list. "I may have missed one or two, but perhaps one of these many dishes has taken your interest?"

Spoiler: Later on - For TheWombat
    Show

The Duke looked at the bottle of rum, smiling as he bobbed his head softly left and right. He had taken to filing his claws against one another as he merely took in the scent of the drink. Slowly, his smile faded away to a far more neutral disposition.

"You know, I had a brother once."

Bloodfang tilted his head as he took a hold of his drink and studied it.

"Sadly he's not with us anymore, though I hope he's watching over me everyday. He was a good Sympol, he taught me a lot of what I know today. He showed me how to hunt, lying on our bellies for hours on end in the sticky mud, waiting for a single rabbit to pass by. He'd reach out, slash the rabbits foot, and pounce on it before it could run. Then he told me to try, and of course I try to impress him. I wait and I wait, until finally I spot a little deer, a skinny thing. When I try to jump on it, I almost lose all my teeth when it kicks me into the nearest tree!"

Bloodfang fell silent for a moment, almost lost in his own memory. Sighing, he continues, a tear rolling down his black fur.

"I loved him, really I did. But even when he died he taught me something. The world is dangerous, and it is cruel. Now more so then ever. We're in a state of flux, of unstable living conditions as new changes rise every day. Back at Sympolemou, my people are being poisoned by a mysterious egg that has appeared overnight. Now my people look to me in order to solve it. I've even heard that a new Blazing Avatar has been found, who will be sure to bring upheaval amongst the many followers of the Lord of Fire. I am born of order, I enjoy laws and stricture. Of normality and dependency. They are my virtues, my ideals, instilled into me at a young age. I see them in you to, much like how they were in my brother. Even now I hear of nations raising armies and setting their sights on the horizon. I have no doubt that if anyone dares to confront Lyradis they will be met with a rude awakening, but if you are to be beset at all sides, would it not be prudent to have a back to lean against?"
    Spoiler: Tychris - Later
    Show
    Gareth paused before speaking, his sympathy for the Duke thick. "I had a wife once, who taught me many things," he said quietly. "She put order to my more chaotic ways, and I became better for it." He paused, then for a moment. It had been a while since he had spoken of her.

"Structure I am all about, and leaving object to the unknown is not an easy feat, especially in this day and age. I look to the north and see the pillar of smoke, and I wonder what omen it is: good or bad. Will the Avatar be kind or vengeful? These eggs seem to be of similar nature, though I think they more ill then good. We have many curious in the way of animals. Perhaps if you bring some here, we might be able to divulge their secrets. As for a back to lean on, I always welcome help, for even those who are confident in their abilities can be overwhelmed. Even a skilled warrior who is surrounded might kill nineteen, only to be slain by the last man." Gareth sipped his rum, complimented at the respect the Duke had for him. "If I may speak plainly, I had no idea you felt this way about how I ruled, and honestly, who I was as a ruler. You honor me."

Depending on how engrossed you are in the fighting, you may notice that a young(13ish) girl is watching the "dance" and smiling slightly.
    ((OOC: for the purposes of the dual, instead of stout and thick, I'm making his sword a saber.))

Royce was ready, and when she drew her blade, his mind immediately began eliminating unnecessary techniques. Not a blade, foil instead. Expect piercing attacks. Feints likely. Royce ignored the wings and focused on her stance. Her stance would give away her attack. Royce pushed away emotions of attaction, questions of material of the blade, thoughts of wonder to any who might be watching. Her attack came, quiet and graceful. He retreated a step and pushed her blade away to the left, and then advancing. She had the advantage of reach with her blade. He had the advantage of power with his. He slashed low, cutting at her extended right leg. She was fast. Luckily, so was he.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"We trade with almost every nation in small part, though I am working to open the doors for it on a massive, nation-wide scale. So, any good merchant prince will begin his life with a single ship, and trade until he can purchase shares of another, and continue until he has a fleet. They purchase what others need, and sell it to them, in exchange for things that are more valuable in other parts of the world, thusly trading up in value continuously. It is an age-old part of our life, and every boy learns his "economics" very early. It's bred into even the sailor's sons."
    "Actually, that gives me an idea. Even now my father is drawing plans for a new school. Well perhaps school isn't quite the correst word for it... Well have you heard rumors of the Midnight Sunrise? The whole city of Dvipabedapura was swathed in light. My father though, he had a revelation. He says he saw God, or some approximation of it. I don't really know. Others came forward though, claiming the same vision." Tendaji trailed off for a second. He still wasn't completely comfortable bringing it up. His father could be insane for all he knows. "Anyways, he's building a school in Asnaoga. To study the nature of the universe I suppose. He's gathered philosophers and astronomers. I would imagine that you have a wealth of mathematicians, or at least men inclined towards numbers. If you could send some to Genivana this school could really take off." Tendaji pauses for a bit to let the Doge respond. If the Doge is truly interested in the Radurjic faith there might be more to say here.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-01-30 at 01:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

"Actually, that gives me an idea. Even now my father is drawing plans for a new school. Well perhaps school isn't quite the correst word for it... Well have you heard rumors of the Midnight Sunrise? The whole city of Dvipabedapura was swathed in light. My father though, he had a revelation. He says he saw God, or some approximation of it. I don't really know. Others came forward though, claiming the same vision." Tendaji trailed off for a second. He still wasn't completely comfortable bringing it up. His father could be insane for all he knows. "Anyways, he's building a school in Asnaoga. To study the nature of the universe I suppose. He's gathered philosophers and astronomers. I would imagine that you have a wealth of mathematicians, or at least men inclined towards numbers. If you could send some to Genivana this school could really take off." Tendaji pauses for a bit to let the Doge respond. If the Doge is truly interested in the Radurjic faith there might be more to say here.
    Tumberink thinks for a second, and appears to be weighing options in his mind for some reason. "You say that you have a new religion? Tell me more! My people lack such a unifying factor..."

"As to the Inventors, I'll let you in on a little secret. I'll be creating a school of knowledge for just such a group of sages very soon, and that will provide you with just such a trade."

Andust's departure only gave Gareth more fire, and he didn't bother shutting the door Andust had left open. "I have no fear of masts on a mountain, Sir. You have quite a way of requesting alliances, if this is your way of doing so. Desperate? I have ample stores of metal, provided by mine allies. I have no need of your pity," Gareth said, biting the last word. "One of my craftsmen is worth four carts of your ugly metals, truth be told."

Gareth scoffed at Tumberink then. "I never accused you of stealing at all. DO YOU EVEN LISTEN?!" He stood, and began walking out the door toward the hall. "I will not abide your unsubtle threats. Lyradis may not seem like much to one such as you, what with our 'desperate' situation, but I will not sit by idley being insulted in my own kingdom." At this point, Gareth appeared to be unphased by who might hear the argument.
    The Doge stands. "Yet again, good sir, you misunderstand me." He voice is low and calm, posture relaxed, yet there's a fire in his eyes that none walking past the open room can tell. "You have indeed accused me of stealing: the most vile of all sins in Guilder. Were my own firstborn, Humperdink, to steal, I should lop off each of his largest fingers, according to our law. So you have insulted me in the darkest way that you know how, "King" of Lyradis, and say not that you were unaware of our customs. My people and yours have been working towards these trades for many years, and now, it seems that you! have destroyed their chances. I shall send ships to your isles to take those craftsmen, if you will trade. The ships will have lumber, and even still, even a ruler as foolish as you may save his people from poverty. If you do not, I will restrict travel to your waters.

"Say then the uselessness of masts."
    He nods, smiles, and walks out the door with grace.

[You would be correct. Enclosed pockets of time are fun! Sorry, just kind of being tackled by midterms now, can't focus.]
    "Yes, I've taken quite a bit to it after my short trip to the sea. Quite the thing the ocean, couldn't believe how big it was until I got on it, and I couldn't believe how deep it was until I fell in it!" And with that he laughed, a hearty true laugh. Pouring himself some of the rum, he slid the bottle over to the Doge to do as he pleased.
    Spoiler: To SamBurke only
    Show
    And for perhaps the first time in the history of Sympolemou, the Duke whispered.
    Now Doge, may I call you Tumberink? Tumberink, I don't think you are a stupid man, quite the contrary I have great respect for you. The Sympol people are...... Rather unique, to put it lightly, and thus do not reciept well to outsiders and non Sympol's. But your country has elicited great respect amongst the warrior tribes of my home. This world is dangerous, seasons change, and time can grind even mountains to dust. It should come to no surprise that with so many nations emerging simultaneously, looking towards the horizon, and wishing to flex their sovereignty that collisions will be made. In my heart of hearts I'm a warrior, and I can smell these things. It's brewing, deep underneath, and any year now some country will step on another countries paw and,"

The Duke snapped his claws together, crushing a peanut he had leisurely picked up as he spoke.

"Boom. Complete and total anarchy. Everyone leaping to grab one another throats and take what they can. I'm a beast of honor, and in the heat of battle, personally speaking,"

He raised his cup and took a drink, raising an eyebrow in the process.

"I always like having a back to lean on."
    Spoiler: For the Duke of Sympol Only
    Show
    The Doge nods sagely. "Yes, indeed, dear Duke. Your people have made equal waves in our country, and there is a great cry for us two to work together, to stand back to back. I agree. Perhaps, then, we may call ourselves an alliance?"
    [OOC, I'm all up for an alliance this turn. D'you want military, peace, trade, marriage, all of the above...?]

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII