New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Astral Projection

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Your original body's not on the astral unless that's where you cast the spell.
    Technically:

"You project your astral self onto the Astral Plane, leaving your physical body behind on the Material Plane in a state of suspended animation."

I believe the original body is given in the spell to start out on the Material Plane, so you'd need to cast the spell from there. Of course, you can move your body from the Material Plane to somewhere else after the spell has been cast, but you do seem to need to start out in a specific place, or at least on a specific plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie-ranger View Post
    You are right, and this is the way i would interpret it as well.
    However, this is RAI, not RAW. By RAW "something" means nothing and everything at the same time.
    There is no point in being so pedantic about a RAW reading. You know exactly what the designers meant. "If something happens" is a common English phrase that is understood for circumstances like that, so the designers used it. They obviously weren't even trying to make "RAW" say exactly what they mean, and the rules depend on some degree of interpretation.

Complaining about the RAW is sort of like complaining that a literal reading of a poem is nonsensical. Yeah, you're right, but nobody cares about that and will look at you funny if you do.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Technically:

"You project your astral self onto the Astral Plane, leaving your physical body behind on the Material Plane in a state of suspended animation."

I believe the original body is given in the spell to start out on the Material Plane, so you'd need to cast the spell from there. Of course, you can move your body from the Material Plane to somewhere else after the spell has been cast, but you do seem to need to start out in a specific place, or at least on a specific plane.
    I suppose you have a point.

I guess I forgot about that because the material is assumed to be where the campaign takes place and it was used in the spell description as a default rather than a specific condition for the spell to function, but a more literal reading does make it such that you -must- be on the material to cast the spell.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign