New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

Having played against Dark Eldar in a tournament setting, I can safely say: Yes, they are indeed just as nasty as Cheesegear is telling you they are.

If your opponents' DE haven't been so bad, that's probably down to them not playing optimally.
    Well, i cant deny this possibility, though i would generaly considder my DE opponent to be one of the better players in our club, yet i have still had more trouble dealing with BA/IG.

Did you not read? You can't shoot them (at least on the first turn) because there are Raiders-turned-sideways blocking LoS. And I can do that all game. If they can survive the first turn, they'll be moving 12" a turn behind more terrain (or I'll just move the Raiders in front of them as well if they aren't destroyed) and whatnot shooting 3 Dark Lances a turn. Worse if you give them Flickerfields and Night Shields (which are both undercosted for how amazing they are).
    Oh, i read it, but it seems you have forgotten that their LOS blocker is also going to fall appart from a stiff breeze or a harsh word?

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Just because you have seen it, doesnt mean it exist anywhere else than in your head.

And im not sorry to say, that just listing point costs for 3 different squads doesnt prove anything about the power of those 3 armies
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh, i read it, but it seems you have forgotten that their LOS blocker is also going to fall appart from a stiff breeze or a harsh word?
    Better that than my Ravager. I wish anecdotal evidence held weight.

Just because you have seen it, doesnt mean it exist anywhere else than in your head.
    It's my personal army. It exists IRL, against similar tournament-level players and it competes extremely well. It's not 'in my head'.

And im not sorry to say, that just listing point costs for 3 different squads doesnt prove anything about the power of those 3 armies
    Dark Eldar are a Tier 1 army. They are on parity with Blood Angels and Imperial Guard.

It kind of does. The point is, that if you look at the 'most powerful' units of those armies, they're basically exactly the same. The difference being that you can have more Dark Eldar squads in exchange for Power Armour. Which is a roughly even trade. Which is why Dark Eldar compete very well against Power Armoured armies.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    Did you not read?
    With the utmost respect, I urge you to check the Forum Rules, specifically about flaming. This quote is explicitely mentioned under "Don't".

Anyways.... Wraith's Guide to Codex: Eldar Part 2: Elites: Revenge of the Over-used Colon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Striking Scorpions
    Compare these guys primarily with Howling Banshees; +1 better save, +1 attack each, resolved at +1 strength, but lacking any sort of save removal and a little slower to strike. Generally speaking, Howling Banshees are the better choice if they have a Doom-Farseer tagging along, whereas Striking Scorpions are a little more reliable if they're on their own or you're more concerned with killing hordes of 'Nids than squads of Marines.
    • Exarch: +12 points for a bunch of stat-line improvements, and all in the right places; Weaponskill, Attacks and Leadership. Even if you don't take any of his upgrades, it's still a solid buy if you can't quite squeeze enough free points for a whole new body.
    • Scorpion's Claw: A strength 6 Power Fist? Really? You're wasting your I6 and you're not causing Instant Death on anything that couldn't already be downed with lots of s4. MAYBE take it if you're desperate to glance light vehicles to death, but quite frankly that's a terrible way to be using Scorpions.
    • Biting Blade: With WS6 an Exarch has a reasonable chance of hitting with all four attacks (on the charge), which translates as a s8 hit. This is what you should be taking if you're worried about opening up a Rhino in order to get at the gooey insides, and it never hurts (figuratively speaking) if you run into a Something Of Nurgle that needs slapping hard.
    • Chainsabres: A good motto for 40k is; “If in doubt, take lots”. Even guys in Terminator Armour will go down if you throw enough s4 attacks at them, and 5pts is cheap enough if you don't want to take anything else.
    • Stalker: It's cheap, and if you're footslogging you will want to be sticking to cover as much as possible. Similarly, it works nicely with Shadowstrike for getting into combat safely, and quickly. Take both, or a Wave Serpent, but not one or the other.
    • Shadowstrike: As above, it stacks nicely with Stalker. If you think you can use it to get into Assault in the second turn (or faster) then more power to you, but if you're regularly taking longer or are fighting Mech opponents then you will instead be grateful for a Wave Serpent to break the box and keep your guys safe in the meantime. The other downside is, you can't take an Autarch or Farseer with you, and an isolated Eldar unit will very quickly become a dead one.
    • Again, Doom helps offset the fact that Scorpions allow their opponents a Saving Throw, but if you do that you'll have to make them walk or hitch a ride. And since you're probably going to want a large unit of Scorpions then it's going to start becoming a very expensive basket. Of Fabergé eggs.
      An Autarch also has a small role in the unit, with a Fusion Gun. They all jump out of a Serpent in cover, then next turn he finds somewhere safe to leave the unit and also to Melta a nearby vehicle, giving the Scorpions something to Assault. It's a very risky tactic, as it leaves your Autarch exposed, but it's also an unexpected one. Either keep him very cheap and hide him, or feel free to give him a Jump Generator so as to make good his escape and continue to harass other nearby vehicles for the Scorpions in subsequent turns. It's not a highly recommended idea, but it is a plausible one.

Howling Banshees
    Lots of s3 Power Weapons striking at Initiative “Lots”. While they would never admit it outright, Space Marine players are scared rigid by these guys girls. Offset s3 with Doom and turn that fear into pure, abject terror.
    • Exarch: Same applies as to Scorpions. Exarchs improve the unit's close combat ability and Banshees are a close combat unit. Always take one if you can't fit in any more bodies.
    • Executioner: The Eldar equivalent to a Relic Blade. While s5 isn't much to write home about, it's better than nothing – especially if you can't keep a Farseer nearby and need to take down something threatening.
    • Mirrorswords: Again, More Is More. Costs the same as an Executioner, so the choice between the two is rather trivial. Generally I prefer the Executioner – it's better to have 2 “very probable” kills than 4 “sometimes possible” ones,, but if your metagame is lousy with IG Troopers or Termagaunts I can forgive you for choosing otherwise.
    • Triskele: Surprisingly underrated, I find, but still not brilliant. Yes, s3 sucks, but you're Eldar so you better get used to it, and there's a lot to be said for inflicting a casualty or two before the charge. Even so.... I still prefer the Executioner. You're still going to go first and inflict casualties before you get struck back, you might as well be s5 and thus reliable.
    • War Shout: Cheap, and hitting lots helps offset not wounding much. Even if it only works once, it's done it's job.
    • Acrobatic: As above – it's cheap, you're going first, and it's reliable. Always take it, if only as a deterrent (although it takes a special kind of 'brave' to Assault Banshees anyway....)
      Howling Banshee Exarchs are one of the few that I always recommend tooling up fully. It's cheap to do and always useful.
    • Banshees don't have a way of moving quickly, like Striking Scorpions, to I'd strongly recommend springing for a Wave Serpent to get them around. Banshees also love having a Farseer around,; not so much, an Autarch. You can use the same tactic that you would for the Scorpions if you like, but it's no more a good idea here than it was before. In Assault, he doesn't really add anything that you wouldn't already have from another Banshee, a couple of attacks aside for almost 4 times the cost.

Harlequins
    An Ur-example of 'you get what you pay for'. Harlequins have lots that Banshees and Scorpions don't - +1 WS, +1I, +1A, and Invulnerable Save – and they're only a tiny fraction more expensive. The big hit comes from their upgrades, all of which can be worthwhile but you end up paying far too much for something comparatively unreliable.
    • Troupe Master: That's an awful lot of points for +1A and +1Ld. Just take another body, it ultimately serves the same purpose and more.
    • Shadow Seer: A worthwhile upgrade because he gives the entire squad Plasma (read: Defensive and Offensive) Grenades, which is fun. Especially helpful if your Harlequins are footslogging, although as with the other Close Combat Elites you're better off taking a transport if you can afford it.
    • Death Jester: Honestly, I don't get it. He loses his close combat abilities in exchange for a Pinning Shuriken Cannon, but if you need them to have a big gun you can put two of them on the Wave Serpent and keep your points for other upgrades.
    • Fusion Pistol: It's worth having one in the squad on the off chance that you end up stuck behind a tank or even a Dreadnought. Hit And Run out of harm's way (if necessary), Melta it and then charge who you please. Don't go overboard though – one pistol for every 5 Harlequins is plenty.
    • Harlequin's Kiss: In lieu of Power Weapons, Harlequins can get Rending at +4pts a piece. This is a very expensive investment; although Harlies have more attacks than Banshees, you will need a) lots of bodies and b) lots of upgrades before you can see the effect in play. Is it worth the cost? Check your metagame and see if what you want to do, can't be done cheaper and just as well by Banshees. Having said that, if you're willing to pay the bill in full, Harlequins are generally the more rounded choice to take over either Banshees or Scorpions if you don't know what to expect.
    • Again, Doom helps out with the Rending issue (did you know that you can re-roll a successful To Wound hit, if you really need that Rend? Well, you can!) and Fortune is often well spent on something with an Invulnerable Save. Harlies don't really need a Farseer though. As for an Autarch.... Again, he doesn't add much.

Wraithguard
    Famous (possibly even notorious) for 3 things; Being able to one-shot Land Raiders and even old-style Monoliths with ease, being ridiculously expensive to buy as well as field, and being harder to kill than Terminators.
    The ideal “Elite” version of Wraithguard (as opposed to the “Troop” setup which I'll talk about later) is 5 Wraithguard with a Warlock, and a Wave Serpent. Disembark deep in your enemy's territory and survive a frightening amount of stuff while killing whatever you shoot at. ANYTHING. Just be wary of getting tarpitted by something cheap and expendable – WS4 s5 is okay, and T6 with 3+ and Fearless will ensure that you will probably survive until the bitter end, but it'll take more time than you can afford to do so.
    • Warlock: Prevents Wraithsight from spoiling your day, and gives you access to either Destructor (useful if Cover Saves are annoying you) or Conceal (which makes Wraithguard extra-unkillable). Don't give him a Singing Spear – what little close combat ability he offers with 2 attacks is invaluable – and there's usually no need for Spirit Seer; Warlocks aren't independent Characters, so he isn't going anywhere.
    • Another particularly evil tactic is to forego the Warlock and instead have them led by a Farseer. He gets a nigh-indestructible bodyguard from where he can Doom and Mind War with impunity, and they get a Psyker within 6” and are permanently Fortune'd. Which is awesome.
    • Alternatively, the Autarch finds a place within Wraithguard as an anti-tarpit measure. If your unit is Fearless, and you're slicing up your enemy with a Power Weapon, only one side is going to run away. In doing this, though, you lose the Psyker – the big question is, how do you feel about a 1-in-6 chance of giving in to Wraithsight every turn?

Fire Dragons
    The cheaper, more squishy alternative to Wraithguard. They favour the exact same sort of targets, though you can squeeze more Dragons into a Transport in order to offset the lower toughness and saving throw.
    • Exarch: Extra Weaponskill, Attacks and Initiative – everything that a squad of Fire Dragons really don't need. Polar opposite to Howling Banshees, Fire Dragons can get along just fine without an Exarch.
    • Dragonsbreath Flamer: Always worth taking. If you can't kill something with 9 Meltaguns, you're not going to be able to kill it with 10 either. Instead, the Flamer opens up new avenues and allows you to more effectively target different targets. Also, free.
    • Firepike: A Meltagun with an 18” range, but still only Meltas within 6”. Fire Dragons should either be shooting from within melta range or be completely out of Line Of Sight, not taking one random potshot.
    • Tank Hunters: Vaguely useful, but you've got at least 5 guys with Meltaguns and you should already be using that +d6. Another +1 here or there is of minimal use, and 15 points is too much to pay for 'minimal'.
    • Crack Shot: Kind of good if you've taken the Flamer (and you probably should have) even if you're only getting half the benefit, and not at all useful with a Fusion Gun. Again, if you can't kill something with 10 Meltaguns, you're probably not going to do it with 10 “and-a-half”.
    • Fortune is nice when you have a 3+ save, though you'll probably get better use out of Guide than Doom. Honestly though, Fire Dragons are killy enough to get away with the cheaper, single-power option. And as with Wraithguard, the Autarch is their Assault-based backup. Even so, I would recommend against that: The strength of Wraithguard is that they will not die nor run away while the Autarch does his thing, but the Fire Dragons do not have that advantage. If they get Assaulted they will probably die – don't sacrifice your Autarch to the same fate.

Elite Diagnosis: A larger squad of Fire Dragons are better than a small squad of Wraithguard in nearly every circumstance. You will find a need for a squad of Scorpions and a squad of Banshees, or two squads of tooled-up Harlequins; other combinations will leave you with glaring gaps in your lineup.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-04-08 at 11:19 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #544

The rules say you can't accuse someone of not reading. (Incidentally, this rule is completely counterproductive, as it encourages people to not read, knowing there will be no consequences.) He asked a question. There's a difference.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-04-08 at 09:34 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #545

Griffon

Off topic, but....

Spoiler
    Show
    ...the second half of the sentence includes anything that implies the same thing. I'm not brinigng this up to be pedantic, but it looked like Cheesegear was treading the line between 'fine' and 'in trouble'. Just trying to help

Also: My Backspace key seems to be on the fritz, so please forgive a few errors while I get around to editing the post under Forum conditions.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    With the utmost respect, I urge you to check the Forum Rules [...]
    I asked a question. I've seen that rule, and I have the same problems with it that RP does. I had already explained the defense or solution to getting shot at, that is, using sideways-Raiders to LoS block since they are longer than they are wide and you can fit two/three vehicles behind one. Raiders are quite massive (especially if you put the sails on), and even when wrecked, they still serve as they offer cover saves to stuff even on flight bases. That's why the tactic is used. We Dark Eldar are fully aware that our vehicles are made out of paper (and yet people still tell us anyway), and we take steps to keep them alive.
    They're not that much more destroyable than Land Speeders or Piranhas, and they are often staples in their respective armies.

That's why I only have 7 Venoms ('only', lol) instead of 9 - although nine certainly is still pretty brutal.

Then, in response to that post, "Ravagers die easily" is brought up, even though I explained the defense - (Sideways-Raiders) - already. In the post that is being replied to. So I was uncertain if they had read that part and/or fully understood what was happening. As such, my response. Which has now been Edited to something different.

If you give said Raider Flickerfields or Night Shields, it becomes a PitA to deal with - let alone the vehicles behind it - who may also have FFs and NSs. The Dark Eldar Codex is written that way. The fragility of their units is backed up by their simple inability to actually be killed. What's that? Only T3 at 5+ Armour Save? Here, have a 2+ Invulnerable. What? Perhaps you'd just like to flat out ignore hits against you, we can do that too. What? Give all your AV10 vehicles an Invulnerable? 'Kay.
    What? You're killing things, as in, just playing the game normally? Here, have Feel No Pain just for shooting at stuff.

This is, essentially why I write these guides. I started writing the same "What army do I pick?" posts over and over again, and then every time a new Codex is released the same "What do people think of this unit/build?" is asked over and over again, it just becomes easier to point people to the answer I've already written.

EDIT:

More Is More.
    Once again, Wraith drops a solid quote early in the thread for the next thread title.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-04-08 at 10:42 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have just written the BA HQ section including a good look at Psychic powers and Special Characters. Holy wall of Text Batman... Will post it when I've recovered. I've tried to be neutral and explain as much as I can.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

@Cheesegear: And that was why I wasn't sure I was experienced enough to write this.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #549

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    *Stuff*
    Hey, no worries - you've thought about it and you know what you meant, that's fine by me. I was just checking. We're supposed to be the *nice* 40k Board, is all.

Once again, Wraith drops a solid quote early in the thread for the next thread title.
    Honestly, I'm more proud of "a Something of Nurgle", but I'll take whatever means of World Forum Domination I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    I've tried to be neutral and explain as much as I can.
    On the one hand; Yay! I look forward to reading it!

On the other; Neutral? Pfffh! Just be honest. If it looks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck, and it acts like a duck.... It's crap. Because ducks don't have an Invulnerable Save or Eternal Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    @Cheesegear: And that was why I wasn't sure I was experienced enough to write this.
    Really, that doesn't matter anything like as much as you'd think. You can usually tell within a game or two whether or not something works, and what you'd need to do to improve it if you can. The next 10 years of repeating it over and over and still getting table'd every few games are more an example of my own futility than your 'inexperience'.
    So long as you're are enjoying the process of imparting knowledge, I'm always happy to receive it.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-04-08 at 11:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #550

On the one hand; Yay! I look forward to reading it!

On the other; Neutral? Pfffh! Just be honest. If it looks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck, and it acts like a duck.... It's crap. Because ducks don't have an Invulnerable Save or Eternal Warrior.
    My Wraithy man, there is someone looking over your shoulder with scary eyes and a big force weapon. If you ask nicely, Mephiston may just melt your eyeballs.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Better that than my Ravager. I wish anecdotal evidence held weight.
    For someone who dont like anecdotal evidence you are certainly bringing a lot of it yourself.

And i would be ready to discuss the math behind how fragile they are, but you dont belive in statistics, so that would be a waste of time.

Still, in the end i would say that i have trouble beliving that you can completely block LOS with a sideway raider, because they are not that big again.
    (that they would give cover save is another issue)

It's my personal army. It exists IRL, against similar tournament-level players and it competes extremely well. It's not 'in my head'.
    What was it you just said about anecdotal evidence?
    Im feeling a bit of a double standard here...

Dark Eldar are a Tier 1 army. They are on parity with Blood Angels and Imperial Guard.
    They may or may not be, but its still not something thats proven in any way by simply comparing 3 squads and their car.

It kind of does. The point is, that if you look at the 'most powerful' units of those armies, they're basically exactly the same. The difference being that you can have more Dark Eldar squads in exchange for Power Armour. Which is a roughly even trade. Which is why Dark Eldar compete very well against Power Armoured armies.
    Thats a claim you are welcome to make, but i dont see it proven in any way, personaly i give more importance to what kind of synergy effects you can achive with the army as a whole.

Then, in response to that post, "Ravagers die easily" is brought up, even though I explained the defense - (Sideways-Raiders) - already. In the post that is being replied to. So I was uncertain if they had read that part and/or fully understood what was happening. As such, my response. Which has now been Edited to something different.
    And besides everything else said in this regard, then LOS blocking works both ways, meaning that when they shoot then i get to shoot back at something thats AV 10, and thats a lot easyer to deal with than AV 12, especaly for someone who has a lot of S6 weapons.

Edit.

Anyway, onwards to what is really important, namely Wraiths excellent Eldar analysis.

Harlequins
    An Ur-example of 'you get what you pay for'. Harlequins have lots that Banshees and Scorpions don't - +1 WS, +1I, +1A, and Invulnerable Save – and they're only a tiny fraction more expensive. The big hit comes from their upgrades, all of which can be worthwhile but you end up paying far too much for something comparatively unreliable.

* Shadow Seer: A worthwhile upgrade because he gives the entire squad Plasma (read: Defensive and Offensive) Grenades, which is fun. Especially helpful if your Harlequins are footslogging, although as with the other Close Combat Elites you're better off taking a transport if you can afford it.
    Here i would like to add, that i think you should also mention the harlequins ability to ignore both difficult and dangerous terrain, that ability is really good, especaly if you are playing with a lot of LOS blocking city terrain.

I also think you should have mentioned the Shadow Seer's Veil of tear ability, since thats one of the major reasons for taking him, "The enemy is unable to target them outside a range of 2d6*2?" yes please
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2012-04-08 at 11:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552

This is big, but I've gone into quite a few things. There will be disagreement, I'm sure, so just let me know if I've forgotten something or could have put something better. I'll include such things as the Red Thirst and Descent of Angels later, I just got writing this time.

Captain

Spoiler
    Show

Simple, classic of the genre close combat machine. He can be upgraded with a wide variety of close combat weapons and combi weapons. These mean that he is best employed in a close combat squad where he will get to use them and his 3 wounds and invulnerable save. He can also take a jump pack and Terminator armour for added value by going with units that will synergise well with him.

There are a few things to be aware of with him though, especially with wargear.

It is widely acknowledged that a T4 Independent character with powerfist / thunder hammer is less than optimal as he can be targeted separately. If you charge / are charged by a dedicated assault unit, he will be targeted and will probably die before he gets to use it, especially if that squad is rocking a powerfist of their own or has a S8 + / Instant Death weapon that goes at Initiative value (Dreadnought, Defiler, Wraithlord, Farseer, Abaddon, Typhus, the list goes on) Be aware of this before setting him up. A Storm shield is always a worthwhile investment

There are a few important differences between BA Captains and CSM's / Wolf Lords / High Marshals / Company Masters and they are mainly concerned with what they don't get. And what they don't get is a real loss. No Artificer armour (so the only source of a 2+ save is Terminator armour, which robs you of sweeping advance), no relic blade (so no initiative value S6 attacks) no Hellfire rounds for the bolter, no taking of a bike and making bikes as troops. All of these mean that a Blood Angels Captain is a relatively rare sight, especially when there are other options that do the Close Quarters Death Machine a bit better such as...

Reclusiarch

Spoiler
    Show

This guy is 15 points more than an equivalently equipped Captain (power weapon basic) but also gives rerolls to hit on the turn he charges and, if he is leading Death Company, rerolls to wound as well. He also makes his squad fearless, which can be good (being shot) or bad (combat against a big and nasty enemy). You lose a point of WS against the Captain, but he makes up for it with the rerolls he grants, especially if you an arrange for him to get the charge which with the plethora of options the Blood Angels possess is not as difficult as it can be for others.

He has pretty much the same wargear options as the Captain, minus the ability to take a Storm Shield or a thunder hammer and the same caveat about T4 IC's with powerfists applies equally here as well. Jump pack means he can run with Assault Marines and Terminator armour means he can shrug off AP3 and other nasties.

Librarian.

Spoiler
    Show

Blood Angels Librarians are interesting units to deploy. They are the cheapest of the basic HQ's which makes them popular. If you look at the statline and options, they look exactly as if they should be another Close quarters destruction unit and, indeed, this is their primary use. Wargear options are somewhat more limited to changing their gun or taking Terminator armour. This is always an idea to consider as without it, the Librarian has no Invulnerable save and therefore no defence against Perils of the Warp. Taking a Storm shield improves this no end but can get expensive which may not be what you want from your cheap HQ.

The Librarian also provides your psychic defence with the Psychic hood and is worth considering for inclusion based on that alone.

Their powers bear close looking at.as they will ultimately affect what you use your Librarian for and what squad he joins.

Librarian Dreadnoughts use the same powers and will be examined later although I will talk about them here for the purposes of powers.

In Codex order

Spoiler
    Show

Blood Boil - an automatically hitting version of the Eldar Mind War that has a less than certain chance of letting you hit the model you want, unlike the Eldar version. If it works, then it lets you pull the teeth out of a squad, the Powerfist guy, the Lascannon guy, the Commisar etc, but also requires you to be with 12 inches, so chances are good that if you're not assaulting you'll be shot and then assaulted yourself. Unless an IC is down to 1 wound, this also won't really worry them either. There are better options.

Fear of the Darkness. - another shooting attack that auto hits and this time the range is 24, much better. It forces a morale test on a -2 penalty and those that fail fall back. All well and good, enjoy making those Chaos Terminators run off the board. However, there is, again, a small problem. Most units that you want to make run away have a way round this, either high enough Leadership that it's odds on they make the roll, or, if they are low leadership, they have upgrade characters like Commisars, Synapse for Nids or Mob rule for Orks, and are totally fearless. Also, unless you follow them, chances are good that they regroup and come right back at you.

Might of Heroes - D3 extra attacks is nice, but with a 1/3 chance of only getting 1 attack extra, which could miss, there is a case for making your attacks better rather than more of the same. However, it works very nicely on Librarian Dreadnoughts, who hit at S10 and have WS 6. Definitely one to consider for your flying Dreadnought.

Shackle Soul - much like Fear of the Darkness, but better, this forces Leadership tests if the enemy wants to do anything until the end of the opponents next turn. Since it seems to be a straight leadership test, it is entirely possible to hold that 30 strong fearless mob of boyz in their tracks where their low Leadership actually becomes a factor. Of course, chances are that anything really powerful will be able to make all its saves are good, so be aware when using it on a Daemon Prince of something.

Shield of Sanguinius - this is a defensive power and, crucially, one that can be used in your opponent's shooting phase. Your Librarian and all units 6 inches around him get a 5+ cover save. Yes, this includes vehicles. Yes, it can be used from inside a vehicle. Yes, this does open up the possibility of sitting with a 75 point squad of scouts on an objective in a Landraider laughing as shots bounce off your AV14 and then getting a save if they go through. However, this is a bit of a waste of it as this power is great for helping to survive a first turn Alpha Strike from Combimelta Sternguard / Broadsides / anything really shooty that's aiming for your AV12 and under vehicles. Many games have been saved by this power. Ok, 5+ isn't great, but it's better than nothing and is also the only way hard things to hide like Stormravens can start on the board and get a guaranteed cover save in the first turn if you are going second.

Smite - the Librarian classic. Model him up as a Sith Lord and shoot lightning. Assault 4, S4 AP2 makes it a elite infantry killer, but really, it's like a much improved Stormbolter. Again, there are other options...

Blood Lance. - ... like Blood Lance if you want to shoot. This is another auto hitting attack. It suffers from random range, but if it hits, the victim will know about it. A S8 AP1 hit with the Lance rule meaning that anything AV13 or 14, you resolve the hit as if it's AV12. Nice. It also hits everything enemy (unless it's in combat) that is on the line you measure out. Again, nice. Unfortunately, it's only a single shot, so unless you roll well, that Landraider probably won't die. Chances are good you'll take a couple of infantry with it if your line is long enough though. This is another power to consider for the Librarian Dreadnought, especially if you drop pod it in, is it gives it something to do while it can't assault and at the start, your opponent's forces are far more likely to be set up in a nice cooperative line for you to measure down.

Sanguine Sword - This is an excellent pick for a Librarian doing what a Librarian should, namely being in the thick of it. He will hit at S10, at initiative value, meaning that he just became a can opener of distinction. Remember me making noises about T4 IC's with powerfists and how you need to be careful ? This is why, Instant Death that goes before you. There is a case to be made for upgrading your Librarian to an Epistolary (use 2 powers per turn) so you can force weapon anything T6 and over, but really that is only useful against Nids and Wraithlords, both of whom die just fine to S10 and / or shooting.

Unleash Rage - Another fine power for the assaulting Librarian. This goes very well with Sanguine Sword as it means the whole squad can reroll to hit, so the chances of landing those S10 hits goes right up, assuming that you took an Epistolary Librarian, of course. Unleash Rage is great but it does nothing for your strength, so if you take a basic Librarian, only use it when you're hitting infantry.

Wings of Sanguinius - Move as jump infantry and, if your Librarian is on a bike, move as a jetbike. Cool. Only problem with that is the jetbike thing, the bike squad that you need to join him to or die to the first Krak missile that comes your way can't move as a jetbike so will still end up making difficult and dangerous terrain tests. On a foot slogging Librarian, they can join assault squads with jump packs and keep up, unless they fail their test or get hit with the psychic hood. Then your assault squad has to move at the Librarians pace. This power is best deployed on single model units, like Librarian Dreadnoughts (who doesn't like the idea of a Dreadnought with a 12 inch move?) and Mephiston (more of whom later) who don't have to worry about keeping up with a squad.

Wolfie's personal top combos

Foot slogging Librarian

Sanguine Sword and Shield of Sanguinius. The classic. Shield helps you get to combat, Sword means you take names when you get there. Pair with a transport and a nasty assault unit for added value. In the author's experience, this is a very effective choice for a cheap, basic Librarian.

Unleash Rage and Sanguine Sword. This requires the Epistolary upgrade to make work and that is expensive. You also lose out of the defensive shield. This therefore requires a transport to work, since it has smoke launchers and armour. However, once you get to combat, you will be nasty. Rerolls to hit and Instant Death against most things, drop the rerolls and use the Force weapon against Monstrous creatures

Shackle Soul and Sanguine Sword. Are you seeing a pattern here ? Sanguine Sword is just that useful. This is another one that requires the Epistolary upgrade to be as effective as it should be. Shackle Soul in the shooting phase, assault with Sanguine sword. This is only effective against infantry and again requires a transport of some sort to maximise the amount of time you can spend smashing things up while not dying on the way over to the thing that needs smashing.

Librarian Dreadnought. Please note - Sanguine Sword, brilliant as it is on a normal Librarian, is useless here as you already hit at S10 and will never be used unless you lose your DCCW

Wings of Sanguinius and Might of Heroes / Unleash Rage. Wings is pretty much required for your Librarian Dreadnought if you are not going to Drop Pod or load it onto a Stormraven and it means it gets there quicker. Might of Heroes means you hit even more with your S10, Unleash rage means what attacks you have will probably all hit. As the Dreadnought is WS6, I'd say go with Might of Heroes

Shield of Sanguinius, Blood Lance + Drop Pod. Drop down in the pod while your opponent is nicely bunched up, stand with your rear armour to the pod, fire the blood lance at transports / T4 mutiwound nasties (Obliterators and Broadsides spring to mind), hopefully pot something, put up the shield when you get shot at by everything and assuming you survive (AV13 with a 5+ cover - there are worse odds) get stuck in with the DCCW and Force weapon. The Author is hesitant to deploy this tactic himself, but he has made it work when used in conjunction with other drop pod units like Sternguard. Do not use this in isolation, it needs support from something else that lands at the same time.

Special Characters

A note on special characters.

While it is tempting to take all your HQ slots with the hardest units in the codex, there is something to consider. First of all, do they help you with what you want to do ? Will they contribute ? If they mean that you can do something you couldn't do before, great. It is worth remembering that their equipment is set and can't be changed, so a Captain that has chose his own weapons may suit what you are doing better than, say, captain Tycho.

Lets start at the top with the Chapter Masters.

Dante

Spoiler
    Show

The oldest living non Dreadnought marine. Surely he should be an Eternal Warrior ! Regrettably not, so keep him away from S8. He does come with Artificer armour, 4 wounds, high initiative, a master crafted power weapon, a melta pistol, a jump pack and the Death Mask of Sanguinius, a handy little device that suddenly makes Abaddon look a little less scary given that he just lost a wound, an attack and a point of Initiative and WS.

But what can Dante do for you ? Well, Sanguinary Guard (see elites section) are now troops. They can all take Melta Pistols too. Dante's unit doesn't scatter when coming in from Deep Strike... Are you seeing where this is going... 6 Melta pistols into the side of a tank will ruin its day. he also has Hit and Run meaning that he can be a nuisance to pin down Dante is always a threat, but he relies on Sanguinary Guard to do the Powerfist level heavy hitting in combat. Still, get him and a unit of SG's mowing down infantry and watch them go. Just be aware that unless you spring for a powerfist, you will lose combat with walkers nastily.

Dante is expensive, but can be worth it depending on what you want. If you are running a Descent of Angels list, then he is a strong candidate (especially because of the Sanguinary Guard) but if you have few jump packers, there are other, far better options, like the 2 basic Librarians you can afford with the points he costs.

Gabriel Seth

Spoiler
    Show

Unlike Dante, Seth doesn't unlock possibilities with new troops choice options, he has no power weapon, he has no jump pack. So, what use is he ? He's slow, tactically limited and doesn't even have the Orbital Bombardment that CSM Chapter Masters get.

Well, it's pretty simple. Seth is there to murder the living daylights out of anything that he sees.
    In the opinion of the Author, Seth is best employed leading either a unit of foot assault marines in a transport of some description or foot Death Company, again, with a transport. In a stunning example of fluff meets crunch, Seth is an out and out close combat specialist with no room for fancy tactics. You get him in close, preferably surrounded and then make his special attack, which automatically hits every enemy in base contact. At S8. With Rending. Anything T4 and under with multiple wounds had better make its armour save. And then your opponent attacks. Any "1's" rolled against Seth means an instant S4 hit against the unit as Seth boots them in the fork.

Seth is an unpleasant opponent in a melee, but that is really all he does and he can't be everywhere. Also, while his huge chainsword has rending, it is not a power weapon, so you need to throw a 6 to bypass armour saves. He's pretty cheap though, for a unique and will kill things until they die from it.

Captain Tycho.

Spoiler
    Show

Tycho is a funny unit, for a start, there a two versions, normal and Death Company.

Normal Tycho - He has the statline of a normal captain with the addition of the Artificer armour the captain cannot take. So, what do you get for the extra points ? Firstly, if he's on the table, every BA unit uses his leadership of 10 for Morale and pinning checks. Handy. he also has rerolls to hit in close combat against Orks. Situational, but nice. However, it is in his weapon array that Tycho shines over the normal captain.

His gun is a combi melta that shoots Sternguard special Ammunition (so he gets the Hellfire rounds the other captain misses) and his close combat attacks are power attacks with 2D6 armour penetration. Ok, at S4, don't expect him to get through a Landraider without a lot of good rolls, but against a Dreadnought or lighter, he's odds on favourite.

So, what best to do with him. And this can be a bit of a problem. The author looked at him and thought "Sternguard ! In a pod !" and then checked the capacity of the BA drop pod. 10 men. If you want a full unit of Sternies for Combat Squadding fun times, you can't fit him in. If you're taking less than 10, brilliant, in he goes.

If you are not using Sternguard in a pod, Foot assault marines, obviously as all his weapons are close range, or Tactical marines is a good place for him where he can use his LS10 to the full and deter anyone from attacking your objective holders. It seems a bit of a waste of the points having him camp at the back though. Leading a 10 man foot assault squad that assaults from a Landraider or Stormraven might seem the natural place for him.

Death Company Tycho. - Ok, this fellow has never been seen, much less used. The author has enough experience of ordinary Death Company to comment though. He gains a lot of new special rules like Fleet (assault after running, means you can move, throw the d6 for running and then assault as well. It takes a lot of the worry out of "Am I close enough ?", Fearless and Feel no Pain, which are fine. Unfortunately he also gains Rage, which is not so good, requiring him to be kept in a transport until the right time. He is also a single model unit. No ablative wounds for him. He is T4 as well. Lascannon off the port bow and Instant Death !

If you must take him, please see the following Death Company entry on how to get the most out of the raged spanners, because just letting him run around is asking for trouble.

Astaroth the Grim

Spoiler
    Show

Astaroth is an interesting character and well worth considering for inclusion in almost any army, regardless of play style (even if it's only as a counter assault unit) as he has a definite area of expertise. Firstly, he does everything a Reclusiarch does for you, the rerolls, the fearlessness etc he also has the one and only BA Relic Blade, as it hits at S6 and also requires successful Invulnerable saves be rerolled. Hello Mr Farseer with Fortune on... Artificer armour and a Jump pack is just extra icing on the cake.

Although Astaroth is a good fit with most BA armies, like Dante, he opens up an entire army build, the all Death Company army (to be examined later). He also means that you get the Red Thirst easier, which can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Astorath has a downside and that is that his logical place is leading Death Company, again, fluff meets crunch. The temptation will be to shell out for the Death Company Jump Packs. For the love of all that is holy, don't. Get a Transport. You will go faster and more of you will live to blow things up. Seriously, for the price of 5 jump packs, that's a Razorback that can go 18 inches as it's fast and has a heavy bolter / heavy flamer, a Dozer blade, Extra armour and while your Death Company are sitting in it, they are not being distracted by a Landspeeder or playing a jolly game of "Chase the Eldar".

Astaroth is a very solid HQ choice but a normal Reclusiarch is only slightly worse in combat for 90 points less. if you are planning on using his special rules for all Death Company or building around the Red Thirst, great, go for it, but if you're on a budget, pick up a Reclusiarch.

The Sanguinor

Spoiler
    Show

Responsible for many complaints about the BA codex, the Sanguinor has one real role, HQ Assassin. You pay through the nose for him, but what you get is very, very powerful and very, very finicky to use.

His statline is amazing. lots of attacks, 2+ armour, 3+ Invulnerable, S5, T5, High WS and initiative, Furious Charge, Fearless, he buffs a sergeant quite a lot and gives everyone within 6 inches an extra attack, has a jump pack, gets rerolls to hit and wound against one of your opponent's HQ's (see where the HQ assassin comes from ?) and is the one Eternal Warrior in the codex. Lovely..

So. What's the downside. He costs more than a Landraider for a start and is not and Independent character. This means that his mere 3 wounds can be overcome by sheer weight of attacks. It also means that Walkers are death on him as they tend to be AV 12 and he has a single krak grenade attack if he didn't get the charge, where he can only glance that at best. The Author has personally tarpitted him for 3 game turns with a Death Company Dreadnought that eventually got through his invulnerable saves enough times. Also, most HQ's tend to run around with a nasty bodyguard. The Sanguinor may get the drop on that Chaos Lord, but his Terminator bodyguard may have something to say right after that.

The Sanguinor is therefore another unit that needs a transport to achieve his potential. Keep him away from walkers, big blob squads and large retinues and use him to snipe small but important units, like 5 man Devastator teams, Long Fangs, Vanguard, Terminators etc

Mephiston

Spoiler
    Show

Another Landraider level character, Mephiston has more utility value that the Sanguinor.

Mephy is considerably more dangerous than any other character in the codex as there is literally nothing he cannot kill. Vehicles, squads, they all are primo targets for him. Hordes can tarpit him, but that's only because he only has so many attacks. He also has a statline to die for, monstrous creature level strength and toughness, wounds and 2+ armour save, high initiative, up to 6 attacks, Fleet and psychic powers.

Where Mephiston falls down is his lack of a invulnerable save, but really, he'd be largely unkillable with one so it's no bad thing. This means that he is just nosed out of the top tier of characters due to lack of Eternal Warrior (although he cannot be instant deathed by double his toughness strength weapons) and no invulnerable save.

Mephiston, for the top tier psyker in the codex loses out of psychic powers when compared with units like Njal Stormcaller and Tigurius as he only knows 3. They are 3 very good ones though, Sanguine Sword, Unleash Rage and Wings. And Mephy can use 3 powers a turn. Rerolling to hit S10 Force Weapon anyone ? Or how about move 12 inches, Fleet, Assault 6 inches with S10 and rerolls to hit ?

He also has a psychic hood and that is your psyker defence sorted.

Mephiston is arguably a better HQ assassin than the Sanguinor as he has a special rule where he stares the enemy out and if he succeeds, he gets rerolls to hit and wound against them. This can be done on any independent character, not just one HQ, so it possesses far greater application. And if he fails, well, there's always unleash Rage and being S10.

Walkers in assault present no barrier to him either. He goes first, hits on WS with a massively load of attacks, rerolls to hit and is S10

Mephiston sounds like the perfect HQ, but, like everything else, there are certain elements that must be considered.

Everyone knows about him. Everyone knows what he can do, and no one in their right mind will let him do it. He also has no bodyguard as he is a single model unit. That means that every plasma weapon, lascannon, melta, lance, fusion gun, anything AP 1 or 2, will be flying his way and he'll have to take the wounds. If you try to footslog him, if your opponent knows their business, he will die before he makes it into the safety of close combat.

So, what to do ? Well, I thing you'll guess it. A transport. A Stormraven is a great transport for Mephy as it's fast, has a 4+ cover when it goes fast and can carry a Dreadnought as well. A really unpleasant combo is a Stormraven with a Death Company Dreadnought and Mephston. Move, disembark, Fleet, get stuck in. Failing that, hide him with a unit of assault marines around him so he gets a 4+ cover save.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 2012-04-09 at 03:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553

Griffon

Here i would like to add, that i think you should also mention the harlequins ability to ignore both difficult and dangerous terrain, that ability is really good, especaly if you are playing with a lot of LOS blocking city terrain.
    I also think you should have mentioned the Shadow Seer's Veil of tear ability, since thats one of the major reasons for taking him, "The enemy is unable to target them outside a range of 2d6*2?" yes please
    Hmm, it seems that I have included both of those under "Especially helpful if they're footslogging", so I could be more specific. Thank you, I will make an addendum.

My Wraithy man, there is someone looking over your shoulder with scary eyes and a big force weapon. If you ask nicely, Mephiston may just melt your eyeballs.
    "Well, hey there, blondie. Is that a Force Weapon, or are you just happy to see m-OHGODOHGODOHGODMYFACEAAAAAHHHHMYFACE!!!" etc.

As it happens, I don't even own Codex: Blood Angels. I had to look it up online after seeing your post, so that really was the single most perfect - and yet, unintentional - burn that I have ever made.

It'll be fine. I'll just run one way, and throw some stale bread to the other; he'll never catch me.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Remember, it takes me two weeks to even start writing a guide. I just make it look easy.

1. I play a lot of games in all points levels. In essence, experience.
    2. I play against a lot of different opponents, with a lot of different armies and archetypes of those armies, which also gives me more experience with units that I probably wouldn't use against better players (hence how I know that Biovores are amazing when your opponent is all-Foot). Currently, I'm playing against 12-16 year olds a lot because it's school holidays and a lot of them want to try out lists for Conflict (a tournament for Newbs, which is why I'm not allowed to go, see earlier in thread)
    3. I have friends/opponents that are high-level tournament players whose opinions I can ask and argue with.

...And then two weeks later, I start writing the title of the Codex I'm playing.

If you're not like me, and you want to write a Guide. You just have to remember that what you like, doesn't necessarily mean what is good. And that not everything that is bad on paper, is bad in-game. For a current example; See Ravagers. They're AV10 in the Heavy Support slot. There's no way that that can be any good ever. Except every single Dark Eldar army I've seen takes two or more before they even start writing the rest of their list. They're basically auto-included. Well, with the exception of Haemonculi/Pain Token lists.

1. Is there a situation where this bad unit can be good? Do they get better or worse depending on points level?
    2. If I take more bad units, do they get better, or am I just putting a string of bad units together? Can the unit synergise with my army?
    3. Does the inclusion of an IC (and/or Unique) change the unit?

For example, Blood Claws. A lot of people hate them because on paper, Grey Hunters are just better. And it's true. But there are situations when they can be better.

However, think. What can Blood Claws do that Grey Hunters can't? Well, obviously, there can be 15 of them. No matter how you put it, Grey Hunters can't have 15 per squad. Then read the rules, it's plainly obvious that Blood Claws need to be babysat. Go through the options of who is best to do this. If we have a blob like that, they're going to get shot at. No opponent is going to let that squad get to his lines unscathed. Chuck in a Wolf Priest. Now they're Fearless. Space Wolves are taking their cues from Black Templars now. They also get Preferred Enemy, which is a massive boost to Assault units, especially when they have WS3.

Ragnar; Gives +D3 attacks and Furious Charge. That's a lot of S5 attacks.

Arjac; He's got 17 wounds now.

What if you take two units of 15? Three? One unit is always just going to get themselves killed. Does taking more units make them better? Well, yes. Imagine Orks in Power Armour (that you can't just stop dead in their tracks by shooting Bolters at them), and that's Blood Claws. Clearly, this army is now missing support, and those Land Raiders just so happen to support units of 10+ that want to be in Assault.

One Land Raider is bad. Bad, bad, bad. But, your opponent are going to poop themselves when you plonk down three (or four; Wolf Guard) on the table.

Obviously, this kind of thing only works in larger points. But, here's the thing; It does work.

If it looks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck, and it acts like a duck.... It's crap. Because ducks don't have an Invulnerable Save or Eternal Warrior.

Two in a row.

The next 10 years of repeating it over and over and still getting table'd every few games are more an example of my own futility than your 'inexperience'.
    I suppose that's what happens when your Codex is never updated. You learn to make it good, or you cry and switch armies. I prefer learning.

This is big, but I've gone into quite a few things. There will be disagreement, I'm sure, so just let me know if I've forgotten something or could have put something better.
    No problem.

...Except there's nothing wrong with it. It's a little vague, "Don't take a Powerfist." Okay, what do I take...Anything? I really can't find anything wrong with it.

Gabriel Seth
    You forgot something...HE'S CHEAP! And therefore good.

Mephy is considerably more dangerous than any other character in the codex as there is literally nothing he cannot kill.
    Well, the Big 5 have something to say about that.
    Lysander, Abaddon, Skulltaker, Draigo all have Eternal Warrior, and lots of Wounds/Good Saves to back it up. Then they'll mess up Mr. Phiston's face. Lysander needs two rounds instead of one though. Abaddon may need another round too, depending on dice rolls.

Swarmlord, as long as he passes his Invulnerables and/or messes up your Powers with Shadow, will then proceed to ruin Mephiston.

Mephiston: [...] So, what to do ? Well, I thing you'll guess it. A transport. A Stormraven is a great transport for Mephy as it's fast, has a 4+ cover when it goes fast and can carry a Dreadnought as well.
    My Stormravens happen to be bright purple and gold (Hawk Lords, anyone remember those? Haven't talked about them in a while). And one of them happens to be known as the Pimpmobile, since only Mephiston can ride in it and everyone else can just get out...Lucky I went Codex and painted him blue and yellow like a real Librarian. Otherwise he'd have a swanky purple coat and he's probably be Mepimpton.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-04-08 at 06:57 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #555

No problem.

...Except there's nothing wrong with it. It's a little vague, "Don't take a Powerfist." Okay, what do I take...Anything? I really can't find anything wrong with it.
    I went with more "point out the thing that will get you killed" while leaving room for trying stuff out and working out personal favourite configs. On the other hand, I can add a few bits and bobs to that and tighten things up a bit.

You forgot something...HE'S CHEAP! And therefore good.
    *Goes and checks* Last line my son, 'cos he is cheap, and therefore good.

Well, the Big 5 have something to say about that.
    Lysander, Abaddon, Skulltaker, Draigo all have Eternal Warrior, and lots of Wounds/Good Saves to back it up. Then they'll mess up Mr. Phiston's face. Lysander needs two rounds instead of one though. Abaddon may need another round too, depending on dice rolls.

Swarmlord, as long as he passes his Invulnerables and/or messes up your Powers with Shadow, will then proceed to ruin Mephiston.
    True, but he's still capable of killing all of them assuming enough saves get failed (much like Abaddon dies to a nice big Gaunt swarm ) and is then good against everything, unlike the Sanguinor, who isn't. Just to get my facts straight, Draigo's basically like a big Kryptonite bomb aimed at Superman, I'd expect the uber anti psyker to ruin Mephy's day. Swarmlord is dependent on Mephy fluffing his Force weapon I think, but assuming he does, yeah, Mephy's toast. Skulltaker... the one and only time I've fought him, I shot him to death so I can't really remember what it is he does, insta death on any 6's to wound rings a bell with enough attacks to make it a real threat, but I think that's the Dark Eldar fellow. Lysander is pretty straightforward, he's just limited by how many attacks he has and Abaddon is a combat munster but could also punch himself in the face as his sword makes yet another concerted attempt to cut off that ridiculous top knot.

My Stormravens happen to be bright purple and gold (Hawk Lords, anyone remember those? Haven't talked about them in a while). And one of them happens to be known as the Pimpmobile, since only Mephiston can ride in it and everyone else can just get out...Lucky I went Codex and painted him blue and yellow like a real Librarian. Otherwise he'd have a swanky purple coat and he's probably be Mepimpton.
    Awesome. I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but all my HQ units are inquisitors, so I use a Canoness (with magic hat) as a Librarian, a Seraphim Superior (with magic hat) as a jump Librarian and Isabella von Carstein, suitably rebased and rehatted is girly Meph. She has her own gunship that I've been meaning to post pictures of as I'm really proud of the paint job. Must find decent camera.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Skulltaker... the one and only time I've fought him, I shot him to death so I can't really remember what it is he does, insta death on any 6's to wound rings a bell with enough attacks to make it a real threat, but I think that's the Dark Eldar fellow. Lysander is pretty straightforward, he's just limited by how many attacks he has and Abaddon is a combat munster but could also punch himself in the face as his sword makes yet another concerted attempt to cut off that ridiculous top knot.
    Skulltaker (on Chariot) has a 2+ Invulnerable against Force Weapons and then has Eternal Warrior to not be killed anyway. And then follows that up with 5, Power Weapon attacks, that all cause Instant Death on a To Wound of 4+. No save, you're dead if I roll 50% odds.
    Of course, yes, Skulltaker comes out of the Daemons Codex and that just makes everyone sad.

Lysander is limited by how many attacks he has. If he can survive one round (he should), he's just hit you with a Thunder Hammer which next round brings you down to his Initiative (which is one of Mephiston's strong points, that he goes first, when he can't do that...i.e; Against Wraiths ), which means Lysander vs. Mephiston 'Turn 2', just becomes Let's You And Him Fight. Which is sometimes a tough round and can go either way.

The other thing - clearly - is that Lysander, Abaddon and Draigo can join squads. Swarmlord should have Guards with Lash Whips (who cares if Mephiston fluffs his Force Weapon because he's not going first and that means he's dead) and Skulltaker generally doesn't need a squad if he's on a Chariot. If he can survive the turn after he lands (which means you didn't shoot at Fateweaver, Soul Grinders or the Bloodcrushers/Fiends), he'll ride through most armies.

Point is, Mephiston doesn't literally just roll over everything in his path. He was one of the Big 5 for a while. But then Draigo was invented and edged him out.

Sliscus (the Dark Eldar character you might be thinking of) can kill Mephiston if you roll very well. But, that shouldn't need to happen since Dark Eldar should have other ways of dealing with Mehphy.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-04-08 at 08:06 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #557

Sliscus (the Dark Eldar character you might be thinking of) can kill Mephiston if you roll very well. But, that shouldn't need to happen since Dark Eldar should have other ways of dealing with Mehphy.
    It's not Sliscus... it's Kheradruakh the Decapitator. I was reading his entry in the codex a couple of days ago.

Anyway, Mephy's still dead 'ard and fighty, so I can edit to reflect that.

Poxy Draigo.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 2012-04-08 at 09:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Blood Lance. - ... like Blood Lance if you want to shoot. This is another auto hitting attack. It suffers from random range, but if it hits, the victim will know about it. A S8 AP1 hit with the Lance rule meaning that anything AV13 or 14, you resolve the hit as if it's AV12. Nice. It also hits everything enemy (unless it's in combat) that is on the line you measure out. Again, nice. Unfortunately, it's only a single shot, so unless you roll well, that Landraider probably won't die. Chances are good you'll take a couple of infantry with it if your line is long enough though. This is another power to consider for the Librarian Dreadnought, especially if you drop pod it in, is it gives it something to do while it can't assault and at the start, your opponent's forces are far more likely to be set up in a nice cooperative line for you to measure down.
    Wasnt there some errate/faq recently that said you did have to roll to hit with powers like blood lance?

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's not Sliscus... it's Kheradruakh the Decapitator. I was reading his entry in the codex a couple of days ago.
    Oh. Him. I forgot about him. No, he's bad. His Invulnerable isn't very good and he's only I6, which means Mephiston gets to go first.

If any Dark Eldar characters are popping Mephiston, it'd be either Sliscus with his 2+ Invulnerable and his 2+/5+ Poison/Power Weapon attacks - first shooting off a Blast Pistol shot just to snag an extra wound in the shooting phase.

Drazhar could have a crack at it, since he's I7 so goes at the same time as Mary S- Err...Mephiston. And he does have Eternal Warrior. Mephiston would win most times out of ten, but he would be hurting.

Wasnt there some errate/faq recently that said you did have to roll to hit with powers like blood lance?
    No. It says that you don't. It's still there. It's not like the FAQ has gone anywhere. Same with Jaws of the World Wolf.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-04-09 at 06:35 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

Worst case scenario: You read through your codex again and maybe learned something new; even enganged in some critical thinking about the units within to determine what they can do, can't do, and when they might be good. Everybody wins!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BoSheck View Post
    Worst case scenario: You read through your codex again and maybe learned something new; even enganged in some critical thinking about the units within to determine what they can do, can't do, and when they might be good. Everybody wins!
    I'd like to add something else. Let's be clear. I don't want you to stop writing. Like the quote says, and Wraith said earlier, and to which I fully agree; Writing out a list of units and what makes them good, actually makes you understand your army better.

Even if you don't personally use a particular unit (because some of them really are bad), try and think about where they could be useful. And if you can't think of anything that would make them useful, then they really are bad (Swiftclaws, for one. Can't climb buildings like Skyclaws and Thunderwolves exist for when you want to do the same thing, better).

Try writing a Guide like Winterwind's. It's less intensive than trying to write like me, and you get all the important facts down anyway.
    The only 'rule' as such to writing Guides is try to stay impersonal. And if you are going to lay down an opinion, write 'This Author/Writer/etc. thinks that...' so people understand that your way isn't the only way to do things.

One thing I did get out of it, was Biker Wolf Guard. The idea had honestly never occurred to me. Logan makes Wolf Guard Troops. Check this...

Take whatever Wolf Guard you want. Have a minimum squad of 3. Split them all off into Swiftclaw units. Congrats. Your Swiftclaws now Score. You can not do the equivalent with Thunderwolves.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

One thing I did get out of it, was Biker Wolf Guard. The idea had honestly never occurred to me. Logan makes Wolf Guard Troops. Check this...

Take whatever Wolf Guard you want. Have a minimum squad of 3. Split them all off into Swiftclaw units. Congrats. Your Swiftclaws now Score. You can not do the equivalent with Thunderwolves.
    Sadly, the Swiftclaws don't score (unless I'm missing something) despite the Great Wolf. Otherwise Loganwing would have scoring Long Fangs, Wolf Scouts, and everything else forever.

One thing you CAN do, though, is have a single Wolf Guard on a bike and break all his buddies away. Just keep him in reserves and you have an easy to hide objective trouncing machine that comes in midgame.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Orc in the Playground

Sadly, the Swiftclaws don't score (unless I'm missing something) despite the Great Wolf. Otherwise Loganwing would have scoring Long Fangs, Wolf Scouts, and everything else forever.

One thing you CAN do, though, is have a single Wolf Guard on a bike and break all his buddies away. Just keep him in reserves and you have an easy to hide objective trouncing machine that comes in midgame.
    If I am not mistaken, scoring Wolf Guard that joins other (non-scoring) unit makes the whole unit scoring. Or at least while he is standing on objective.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

24. - Top - End - #564
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    If I am not mistaken, scoring Wolf Guard that joins other (non-scoring) unit makes the whole unit scoring. Or at least while he is standing on objective.
    Scoring Long Fangs only exist in my beardiest of fantasies. Right up there (slightly below) with Infiltrating Thunderwolves. Lets take a quick look at the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolves FAQ
    Q. If a Wolf Guard Pack Leader has joined a unit of Troops, does that unit cease to be a scoring unit? And does the Wolf Guard cease to count as an Elite model?
    (p86)
    A. When a Wolf Guard model joins another unit because of his Pack Leader special rule he becomes part of that unit to all intents and purposes. For instance, a Pack Leader that leads a Troopsunit will still be able to claim an objective even if his Troops unit is wiped out – he is considered to be part of that Troops unit. He would also still be able to deploy in a mission that only allows Troops units to be deployed at first. Conversely, a Pack Leader that leads a Long Fang unit is counted as part of a Heavy Support choice, and therefore could not claim an objective, even if under the effects of Logan Grimnar’s The Great Wolf special rule. This also applies to the calculation of kill points and victory points – the Wolf Guard who have been split off from their original Wolf Guard unit count as part of their assigned unit in all respects. *snip*
    I'll shorten that example, as the rest isn't relevant to the discussion. But on matters of current rulings, trust me. The Wolves. I play them. A lot.

Side note: I left the victory points thing in there just so I can remind anybody going to a tournament to precalculate their unit values WITH the usual (attaching isn't mandatory mind you) attached Wolf Guard; it makes sure your experience is as streamlined as possible and saves your organizer any headache it might cause!
    Last edited by BoSheck; 2012-04-10 at 03:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Check this...
    [FAQ Ruling]
    Lucky I got you guys to check it then, isn't it.
    Okay. In that case, I can't find any uses for Swiftclaws that Skyclaws or Thunderwolves couldn't do. And for everything else, there's Land Speeders.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

So, I did some more game watching and thought about my preferred play style, and decided to pick up the tau codex. I was a bit surprised that the core rules weren't in there (somehow I had picked up the impression that codexes were completely self contained).

As a result, I'm guessing a little when it comes to army composition and what stats are effective. But, I've got a preliminary 1,000 point army and I wanted to get opinions on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    Commander Vah'd (Commander) (192)
    Burst cannon (Twinlinked); Fusion blaster.
    2 Crisis Bodyguard Team: Burst cannon (Twinlinked); Fusion blaster.

Troops
    Alpha Team (12 Fire Warriors) (156)
    EMP grenades.

Gamma Team (12 Fire Warriors) (156)
    EMP grenades.

Fast Attack
    Omega Team (8 Pathfinder Team) (230)
    3× Rail rifle ; EMP grenades; 3× No markerlight.
    Greased Lightning (Devilfish)

Heavy Support
    3 XV88 Broadside (270)
    Shield generator.

1,004 points
    Made with Quartermaster

The gist of the strategy I'm thinking is that the scouts use markerlights to reduce opposition's leadership against pinning, which the carbines use to pin anyone who gets close while the Rifle team pours fire into anything that looks at them funny at extreme range. Broadsides hang in the back providing tank killing fire support at extreme range and the missile salvos against softer targets that get closer. The commander and crisis team hop around harassing targets of opportunity without ever closing using their jump packs, and the Devilfish provides rapid deployment to one of the infantry gangs and/or a positionable fortification and movement barrier.

It's got some redundancies built in: Against vehicles the Crisis Team has meltas and the infantry have EMP grenades (and grenade launchers). Against infantry the heavier units have burst cannons and missile pods. It's not as mobile as most of the tau armies I've seen demonstrated, but it's based on the second strategy in their codex: Ambush. Lure the enemy into a killing field and pin them there and make them jam up against themselves.

Theoretically workable? Absolutely necessary tweaks? I know that deep strikes are likely to mess me up...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

EDIT: Tome, one of GITP's Tau players, on the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in the Tau list. For the record, there's some debate on whether or not pathfinders should be moved to the "Bad" section, as well.
    --------------------------------------------
    Ditch the second squad of fire warriors for 2 kroot blobs. Fire warriors are not good. I know S5 30" guns look good, but with BS 3, you need Quantity, not quality. If you want S5 guns on basic infantry, go with Necrons (Immortal's Gauss Blasters are basically Heavy Bolters in rapid fire form) or Grey Knights (Storm bolters +Psybolt Ammunition). Fire warriors are a tax. A painful tax for Tau.

Also, you don't have anti-tank (not that you can ever have enough anti-tank). Trade those pathfinders for some broadsides.

The current Tau army is... not creative. At this point, it's built around the good units in the codex (Crisis Suits, Hammerheads, and Broadsides). The (singular) tau list consists of as many of those units as you can take, with Kroot bubble wrapping important units for 1 more turn of assault protection (Remember, Kroot with Cover saves are just as survivable as pathfinders until assault or a template weapon, and most of the template weapons you'll see in the early turns will cut through your 4+ armor save anyway (That is, drop podding Heavy Flamer Dreadnaughts and their ilk). If you deviate from this list, your army will suffer... Again, and again, and again.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-04-10 at 05:58 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #568

Griffon

I wrote this as Stupid-o-clock this morning, and since GW has taught me nothing other than proof-reading is for losers you guys might as well enjoy it. Be gentle.

Troops
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guardians
    So this is it. The hard-working, objective-taking, quadrant-denying, unspoken heroes of the Eldar army. Gods have mercy on us all.
    They are very cheap, which is probably the biggest compliment that I can give them. For the same price as 5 Space Marines, you get 10 guys who have tissue-thin armour, guns that automatically puts them within Assault range of their enemy, and to top it off their main strength is the ability to take a Wave Serpent as Transport. Even that gets unceremoniously kicked in the teeth when you realise that you need a BIG blob of Guardians to give them the firepower needed to kill their enemy and survive the subsequent charge, and once you do that you won't be able to fit them all into the Grav-tank. Either take a lot of these guys and make them squat on your objectives, or put a few of them in a Tank and make them try to squat on your opponents', but whatever happens don't expect them to get more than one turn of shooting before they get torn apart.
    • Warlock: Turning a 5+ Armour Save into a 5+ Cover Save with Conceal is usually the biggest and cleverest thing you can do with a Warlock in a Guardian Squad. That way they stay alive a little bit longer, and the Warlock acts as a focal point for any nearby Wraithlord, who should be using the Guardians for a Cover Save of his own. With a big enough blob you won't need Embolden, and though Enhance might help you didn't ought to be relying on s3 Guardians to be winning Assaults for you. Feel free to give him a Singing Spear though – they have the same range limit as Shuriken Catapults, so there's an outside chance that he might even get to use it.
    • Missile Launcher: Since you must take a Heavy weapon with the squad, the Missile Launcher should be your default choice. It's cheap and it's multipurpose, and as with it's equivalents in other armies you can't go wrong with it.
    • Bright Lance: Very expensive, by Eldar measure, and Guardians are only BS3. While it's your main source of the Lance effect, there are better ways to bust tanks to be found among the experts in your army, rather than entrusting it to these amateurs.
    • Starcannon: Not sure how I feel about this one. It scares Terminators, but is neither strong enough to bother tanks nor fires enough shots to be of serious concern to larger squads. If you're working to a theme and equip your army with lots of Starcannons then you might do well, but one or two dispersed among every other squad will not be as effective as Missile Launchers in the same place.
    • Shuriken Cannon: Again, not strong enough to bother most vehicles, and the AP means it won't worry most Troops. Instead, upgrade and take.....
    • Scatter Laser: Similar problems to the Shuriken Cannon, however it fires more shots. This will make up for the Guardians' poor shooting ability, and the more Saves you force on your opponent then the more they will inevitably (eventually?) fail. Take this or a Missile Launcher, and both in large numbers.
    • Generally, your HQ Choices can do bigger and more impressive things than actually join a Guardian unit, but there's a lot to be said for Guide on 38 s4 Catapult shots and Doom on their target – even Greater Daemons worry about that sort of thing. Alternatively, if you want to Go To Ground on your objective then Fortune-ing a 20-wound unit can be fun. An Autarch with Guardians? Again, if you're stuck in a tiny sized points game and you need SOMETHING as your HQ, but really? To them, he's just a Ld10 figurehead; to someone else, he can be much more.

Storm Guardians:
    Ordinary Guardians, but with Blade+Pistol rather than short-ranged Catapult. While they suffer the usual problems of Guardians – weak strength and crappy armour – they make up for the fact that, when they get Assaulted, they can at least fight back with the weight of numbers that are needed to give them half a chance at success. Perhaps surprisingly, despite never having seen them on the table, I think that these guys are a better choice than Vanilla Guardians.
    • Warlock: Jump out of a Wave Serpent, Enhance your guys to I5, and have at it with as many attacks as you can muster. Again, a Singing Spear won't hurt but the important thing is not to even think about the other Psychic Powers; if you're serious about footslogging the unit then you should always be doing better than a 5+ Cover Save from Conceal, you should be in big enough numbers not to need Embolden (plus, Warlocks are Ld9) and one shot with Destructor just won't compare.
    • Fusion Gun: Storm Guardians differ from Vanilla Guardians in that they can take two 'special' weapons rather than one Heavy, which is actually really useful. Especially in smaller games, when Fire Dragons are a pricey investment, Storm Guardians can just about take their place for the purposes of jumping out of a Transport, breaking open an enemy Tank and then making a good attempt at either Assaulting (or being Assaulted by) whatever is left.
    • Flamer: One of few ways for Eldar to bust cover, I'd say that there are generally preferable to Fusion Guns. The Wave Serpent that the Storm Guardians are riding in can use its own weapons in place of the Fusion Guns, then the Guardians move in for the kill in both the Shooting and Assault phases.
    • Independent Characters in mind, the same applies to Storm Guardians when it comes to Farseers. Ideally you don't want him to risk his own neck by joining the unit, but sheer weight of numbers only gets better with rerolls. An Autarch can actually be quite helpful for these guys – on the one hand, he can be their 3rd Fusion Gun (if he could take a Flamer he'd be perfect, but alas...) and on the other, he throws out more attacks at even higher Initiative, meaning that less of them are going to go down when it time to face the music – exactly what the T3, 5+ doctor ordered.

Guardian Jetbikes:
    Arguably one of the most iconic of Eldar units – pointy-eared Hells Angels IN SPACE. Despite their comparatively expensive cost, Jetbikes are best taken in large units. At least 6 should be your thinking – not just because they're big targets and still quite fragile (T4 is only good by Eldar standards, after all – more than half of the other races out there consider it just average) but because they're still just armed with Shuriken Catapults. If you don't kill your target outright, they're going to turn around and slap you VERY hard in response.
    • Shuriken Cannon: Usually a good idea, for the same reason that I said above – more shots means more dead enemies, and at the range the rest of the squad needs to be effective you can't afford to let anything of significance shoot back. If you have a lot of support from other units, all concentrating their fire on one target, you can probably forgo this upgrade without worry.
    • Warlock: As always, Conceal can help out. Jetbikes, however, enjoy a 3+ save and are fast enough to get out of harm's way, so I wouldn't say that it's as important in this case. Singing Spear? I'd rather have another Shuriken Cannon for the same price, rather than waste the whole unit's Shooting Phase so that one guy can have a 50/50 shot at a tank. Overall, probably best not to bother. Take more Jetbikes instead.

Dire Avengers:
    What a Guardian wants to be when it grows up. They're better shots, their armour is tougher, and their weapons' range doesn't always let them get punched in the face. To be honest, if you want to take Guardians in your army then the only sensible reason as to why you wouldn't take Dire Avengers instead would be if you're desperate to have a Warlock around in order to keep Wraith-creatures under control. Dire Avengers are just, in every other way, better. And for a respectfully small mark-up in price.
    • Exarch: On the surface, not a great investment – like Fire Dragons, Dire Avengers seem to be all about their guns so a WS and Attacks upgrade is of little use. In practice however, it stacks with some of his other abilities to make him into a close combat character of not terrible ability IF you want to take him that way. Decide beforehand how aggressive you want the squad to be – if you need them to be VERY aggressive, perhaps if you're struggling to find room for a dedicated close combat unit like Scorpions, tool them up and go for it.
    • Diresword & Pistol: Essentially an inverse Force Weapon (your opponent rolls their Leadership, rather than you rolling yours) without the hassle of requiring a Psychic Test and thus all the threats that entails – Magic Hats be damned. Also note the wording: Direswords don't cause Instant Death, they just cause the enemy to die automatically. This is not corrected in the errata. Make of that what you will, and then remember that with this upgrade the Exarch is I6 with A3. This is THE choice for the Close Combat Exarch, although it does turn the unit into a 10-wound Exarch-delivery-system. If you can live with that, then more power to you.
    • Power Weapon & Shimmershield: Again with the s3 Power Weapon – why not, for less price, take one that might kill your opponent outright? The 5+ Invulnerable Save in close combat for the whole squad is tempting, but really Dire Avengers should treat Assault as the killing blow after lots of shooting – if there's anything left to strike back at you, you've done it wrong!
    • Defend: Expensive, and as above in many ways. If there's a lot of enemy left to attack you in your turn, you've made a bad move. If you've been Assaulted by any enemy with even the smallest modicum of close combat ability, chances are that they're still going to take apart your T3 A1 unit regardless.
    • 'Exarch' Avenger Catapult: Some people don't feel comfortable using Dire Avengers in Assault, which is fair – while they can manage it, they clearly shine while shooting. For a very small cost, the Exarch doubles his output – however, it's most efficient when you already have 10 models in the squad, as otherwise it's cheaper just to take 1 more Avenger than an Exarch+Extra Weapon.
    • Bladestorm: Everyone in the unit becomes Assault 3, in exchange for losing the ability to shoot next turn. Quite useful; use it then jump into a Wave Serpent and go looking for a new target so it really doesn't matter much. Sadly, it only applies to SHURIKEN weapons, so you don't get the chance to have Fusion Gun shenanigans when adding an Autarch to the squad.
    • Regarding what friends they should bring along, everything that applies to Guardians, applies to Dire Avengers. But more so. Not only are Guide and Doom brilliant with Bladestorm, but Dire Avenger squad sizes are conveniently perfect to fit them and the Farseer into a Wave Serpent as well. Autarchs don't do so well, though of all the things that a Dire Avenger Squad might need, either some backup in Close Combat or a Fusion Gun are probably them.

Rangers:
    Eldar were doing squads of Snipers before it was cool. Although you get a lot for you money, it's also a lot of money for what you get. I wouldn't recommend making a habit of large Squads of them, when for the same price you can have 8 Dire Avengers and a Wave Serpent, but it's always funny to Infiltrate onto an opponent's objective and then sit there with a nice, cozy 2+ Cover Save.
    • Pathfinders: I always want to take Pathfinders instead of Rangers, but the price (almost double that of a single Space Marine Scout!) makes me want to cry. Still..... Remember how I said earlier that you are allowed to re-roll SUCCESSFUL To Hit dice if you want to, with a Guide-Farseer? Even if you don't get the 5+ you need on the second roll, you're still hitting normally on 2+. Why wouldn't you do it? Also probably the only place to put a footslogging Autarch with Reaper Launcher – you shouldn't really do that, but if you really must, he will get to do lots of fun shooting and the Pathfinders will appreciate having a guy with a Power Sword hanging around when your opponent finally works out that Assaulting will get around that Cover Save.

Wraithguard:
    Ten Wraithguard and a Warlock turns your clunky Elite unit into a clunky, sluggish Troops choice. So a minimum cost of 375 points for something that you can't fit into a Transport, isn't Fleet of Foot and has only a 12” range? Once upon a time that was a really good idea, before everyone else jumped onto the Sniper/Poisoned Weapon bandwagon, but now.... This is the sort of unit you take out of audacity, and just dare your opponent to try and kill it. Hopefully they'll be outraged enough to try, and thus leave the rest of your army completely unmolested and free to do other things.
    Don't laugh, this works – if truth be told, I've even done it myself out of sheer hubris.
    Having said that, no other unit in the game can squat on an objective and just plain refuse to move like these guys. If you want to guarantee at least one point in every game you play, 395pts (including Conceal) is the price. Alternatively, spread them out somewhere that they can't help but get Tank-Shocked and hope for the best – to Wraithguard, a 250pt Land Raider looks no different to a 40pt Rhino. Basically, Troop-Wraithguard are there for area denial, not for aggression.

Troops Diagnosis:
    Everything Guardians can do, Dire Avengers can do better. Apart from ride Jetbikes. But you don't need Jetbikes if it means that you can take more Dire Avengers. Genuinely take Pathfinders as much as possible, even if it means a smaller squad to do it. And whatever else happens, your Farseers should NEVER be too far away from your Troops – your success on the battlefield will correlate directly with how well your Psychic Powers interact with your Troops.

Transport
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wave Serpent: Eldar only have two Transport choices: “Take it” or “Leave it”. Without a doubt, they got seriously lucky that the Take It option gives them something as good as a Wave Serpent. The only possible complaint one could make is that it has no Fire Points, so your Farseer has to actually get out and do stuff every now and then, rather than Mind War people through the back window. Oh, well.
    • Energy Field: One of the few things in the Codex that actually got better with the new editions. Since vehicles can pivot on the spot for 'free' (previously, it came out of their movement allowance for the turn), you should never not get to use this. And it's there for free? AV12 and (usually) a Cover Save really isn't so bad all of a sudden.
    • Star Engines: If you're using the Serpent to Transport a squad to somewhere important, use these and do it in the first turn. If you do, there's no need for Spirit Stones – your guys are now where they need to be, and the Tank itself acting to block LoS and fire it's Heavy weapon is just a bonus. If you're actually using the tank offensively though, don't bother. You'll never use them.
    • Spirit Stones: Definitely has it's uses, especially if it's imperative that you get to where you need to be, but it's also quite expensive. Personally, I would work harder on learning how to make sure I always get a Cover Save or block LoS – that will prevent Stunned and Shaken results even more efficiently, and is generally just a good skill to learn for any army.
    • Vectored Engines: Worth taking in conjunction with Star Engines. Then again, there are a lot of things that are worth taking on a Wave Serpent, and it very quickly starts to get very silly. Of all the upgrades, this one is probably the least necessary between your Fast/Cover Save and the Energy Field all actively preventing you from going down in the first place.
    • Twin-Linked Weapons: Pretty much everything I said for Guardians, still applies. The only exception that I would add is that twin-linked Bright Lances are very reliable for breaking open an enemy transport. That way, the Eldar squad which has just disembarked can Shoot and Assault the enemy unit, rather than take a step in between to break the vehicle themselves. Pricey, but usually worth it.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-04-11 at 04:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Barbarian in the Playground

WARNING: MORE NEWBISH QUESTIONS AHEAD.

So, I think I've got enough of my Necrons put together to try a smaller game, to refamiliarize myself with the various rules I've forgotten in the nearly a year since the few times I've played. So now I'm looking for a bit of help putting together a list for a lower point game.

I currently have, on hand and more or less assembled:

1 Overlord w/Resurrection Orb and Warscythe.

1 Trazyn the Infinite (because he's cool and hordes seem popular at my LGS)

2 Lords w/Resurrection Orb and Warscythe.

5 Crypteks (whatever they need to be)

6 Destroyers

~40 or 50 Warriors

~15 Scarabs

In addition, I gave in to the Dark Side, and purchased three Ghost Arks (they were on sale). Haven't put them together yet, but I could have a couple assembled by next week probably. But how valuable is the Ark in a game where it represents a tenth to a fifth of your available points? Same with the C'tan Shard; I've got two models that would make excellent C'tan proxies (Cthulhu the Eldritch Demon and an evil tree that looks sort of like Exdeath from Final Fantasy V), but I'm not sure how many total points I'd need before a C'tan stops taking up too much of my force to be useful.

I'm also debating how to prioritize and divide up my powers on the C'tan (if I take more than one; not likely but might happen once I start playing with more points). Gaze of Death plus Sentient Singularity seems like it would be awesome in close combat, but that's investing a lot in one model and I'm not sure how to get him to melee without getting blasted to pieces. Does "Monstrous Creature (character)" mean it counts as an independent character? Or does my melee C'tan just have to stick to cover as well as it can and pray it doesn't die before making it to combat?

I also got a couple of Annihilation Barges along with the Ghost Arks. I know Cheesegear dislikes them, but they were fairly cheap and I like the model. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Thanks for taking the time to read this newbishness. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

30. - Top - End - #570

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Commander Vah'd (Commander) (192)
    Burst cannon (Twinlinked); Fusion blaster.
    2 Crisis Bodyguard Team: Burst cannon (Twinlinked); Fusion blaster.

Troops
    Alpha Team (12 Fire Warriors) (156)
    EMP grenades.

Gamma Team (12 Fire Warriors) (156)
    EMP grenades.

Fast Attack
    Omega Team (8 Pathfinder Team) (230)
    3× Rail rifle ; EMP grenades; 3× No markerlight.
    Greased Lightning (Devilfish)

Heavy Support
    3 XV88 Broadside (270)
    Shield generator.

1,004 points
    Made with Quartermaster[/SPOILER]
    Im going to make some suggestions that will improve your army. Feel free not to follow them but it will help you a lot in competitive play.

Drop the burst cannons on your commander and bodyguard. Take plasma rifles and multitrackers instead. The commander already has a high BS so why twin link the burst cannon? Burst cannons are pretty bad, they are not bad guns themselves but when compared to plasma they are useless. Plasma is your best friend. If you are worried about hitting the enemy use the pathfinders markerlights.

Why do you have "3x pathfinders with no markerlight"? All pathfinders come equipped with a markerlight. I wouldnt bother with trying to pin your enemy because there are a large amount of units who this rule cant affect. Use the markerlight hits to increase ballistic skill of your units.

EMP grenades are a complete waste of points unfortunately. Tau have the best anti tank weapons in the game so you definately shouldnt need the EMP grenades.

Give your devilfish a disruption pod for 5pts. It is the best vehicle upgrade. It gives you a 4+ cover against all shooting that is 12" or more away from you.

Drop the shield generator on the broadsides and give them shield drones instead. You can easily use the spare gun drones from your firewarriors/crisis suits and make some shield drones.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club