New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: culinary endeavors

Hokay, so, I was sort of mashing together a couple of recipes and making stuff up and didn't have enough of some ingredients. Also measurements are metric.

Cinnamon and Vanilla Baked Custard
    Ingredients
    4 cups cream (I only had about 3 cups, made up the rest with milk)
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 vanilla bean (I'd already taken the seeds for something else, be better to use the whole thing)
    4 eggs (I added an extra one to make up for the milk)
    2 egg yolks
    1 cup castor sugar (I used normal sugar. Not sure of amount, may have been more)
    Ground cinnamon

1. Split vanilla bean, scrape seeds into cream. Simmer cinnamon sticks and vanilla in cream for about 20 minutes. Take care not to boil the cream - you may have to take it off the stove to cool for a while.
    2. Lightly grease a baking dish (~7 cup capacity).
    3. Whisk together sugar, eggs and yolks until pale and thick.
    4. Remove cinnamon and vanilla bean from cream. Slowly whisk cream into egg mixture until well combined.
    5. Pour custard into baking dish. Set in a baking tray, and pour water in the tray until it comes half-way up the dish. Sprinkle custard with ground cinnamon.
    6. Cook at 150oC for an hour, until set but wobbly. Allow to cool.
    7. Nom.

Bonus: Cinnamon and Vanilla Syrup
    Rinse the used vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks well. Put in a saucepan with a couple of cups of water, boil briskly until the water is noticably coloured. Remove bean and sticks, add a cup or two of sugar. Simmer for some time, until syrup achieves desired consistency, remembering that it will thicken has it cools; if it gets to the consistency of runny honey, it will turn into a hard toffee, which could be good anyway. In fact, I just might try that... The syrup will end up a rich dark red, and slightly spicy.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions about the kebab.

I think I'll leave the marination thingy as a last resort. The only acidic flavor that fits (in my mind, at least) is lemon, and I'm not too fond of lemon. As for the papaya/pineapple powders, I don't think I can find them easily around here.

I think I simply overcooked them, I must have left them in the oven for almost half an hour. I'll try 15-20 minutes next time, and see how it goes. I've also gotten some (makeshift) skewers, so the shape will be more "correct". Thanks again! :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

(Foreword: I cannot talk about food without cursing. In the interest of not coming off as boarish, every time I feel the urge to be vulgar, I'll instead type the word 'snuggle'.)

I made a canapé a few days ago. It was delicious. Lemma tell you about it.

Level 1) The bread. Nothing special. Baguette, sliced very thin, soaked in butter, oven-toasted.

Level 2) The meat. Mothersnuggling Beef Tenderloin. Slathering with olive oil, and rubbed down with a thick coating of fresh herbs from my garden (rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano). Grilled, painstakingly, patiently, godsnuggle perfect. Sliced about as thick as the bread. Meaty, tender, subtle hints of herb. Melts in your mouth. (Godsnuggle perfect. I was as surprised as anyone.)

Level 3) A tiny sprinkling of Roquefort.

Level 4) These onions. Lemme tell you about these onions. Never have I lit something on fire so many times. So, caramelized onions, right? But like, snuggling caramelized. Almost like you're making French Onion Soup. Like, snuggling caramelized. Little bit of salt, pepper, sugar. But then comes the Bourbon.

Whole snuggle-ton of bourbon. Light on fire. Cook down. Put out fire. Whole snuggle-ton of bourbon. Light on fire. Cook down. Put out fire. Over and over. Lemme tell ya, by the time I was done, these onions were more saturated with booze than my entire family combined (and they all have crippling alcoholism!).

One sliver of these - one sliver - like one of those tiniest sliveriest pieces you can cut from a single ring of an onion - one of those - was like a bourbonsplosion in your mouth. I would describe it as 'offensively bourbonesque' but in a good way. Lemme tell ya.

Level 5) Bourbon Sauce. Because of course.

So, I wanted thick. Like, thick like syrup. Which means - sugar. Lots of sugar. Problem with sugar? Don't want it snuggling sweet. Solution? Soy sauce! The sweet and salty murder each other in the face and I'm golden. Soy sauce, bourbon, violent amounts of sugar. Reduce. Aaaand reduce. And reduce until it's so thick and syruppy and about to burn that you think it's about to burn, but then you save it at the last second.

I would describe a dab of this sauce to be as if you were in a terrible accident, and then they were gonna Robocop you, but instead of replacing your body with computers, it was bourbon. But in a good way.

---

So, together, Bread/Meat/Cheese/Onions/Sauce. Delicious, amazing, incredible.

And then I made 105 of them. Didn't get to have any. And wasn't paid.

It was great.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2012-10-25 at 01:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    (Foreword: I cannot talk about food without cursing. In the interest of not coming off as boarish, every time I feel the urge to be vulgar, I'll instead type the word 'snuggle'.)
    that's an oddly specific form of Tourrette, you've got going there..
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Malak'ai's Roast Lamb:

Lamb Forequarter/Shoulder Roast (approx 1.5 - 1.8kg)
    Fresh Herbs (Mint, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage)
    Other Aeromatics (Garlic, 1/2 an Onion)
    Salt/Pepper/Olive Oil
    Bottle of Red Wine (Yes, a whole bottle. I recommend a Merlot, but a Sharaz or Cab Sav is fine.)

Method:
    Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees C.
    Grind up herbs, aeromatics, salt, pepper and oil into a paste, rub onto lamb (make sure to get an even coat all over the skin) nice and hard.
    Place lamb in oven tray with a little but of extra fat (or other shortening) and pour wine over the lamb gently and place lamb into the oven for 3 hours, turning the lamb once.
    Turn oven upto 180 degrees C and finish for half an hour.

Result should be a nice medium to medium-well roast of lamb that melts in your mouth with the flavours of the herbs and wine right through it to the bone.

The wine and herbs also add a huge boost to the flavour of the gravy as well.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    My cinnamon baked custard has been declared a success, although it separated out into two slightly different layers. I also got a cinnamon and vanilla toffee, which I dissolved into a sauce, out of it.
    Btw, the apple pie (fresh apples, marmalade and real cinnamon filling and a sweet almont pastry crust) I made for my grandparents the other day was also declared successful.
    I take it someone like cinnamon.

I've actually started trying a lot of new things in the kitchen. I recently tried making my own potato chips which was rather delicious and I made my own tomato sauce. I actually like the sauce so much I am seeing about jarring some of it. I ended up subscribed to "Nerdy Nummies" on youtube also (which I don't remember doing) and that makes me want to try more baking. I found their recipe for lembas bread earlier and the only thing that stopped me from making it is the fact I don't have a lemon.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

snip

It was great.
    presnip: this reminds me of Gordon Ramsy substituting Holy Mackerell (?) that is hwo I read your recipe, in his voice, with his intonation and the word snuggle. I had a hard time not to laugh so hard I needed an oxygen mask...

aftersnip: how can it be great when you do a lot of work for them, not get any, and not get paid If I had one I'd shared with you...
    Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    that's an oddly specific form of Tourrette, you've got going there..
    yeah, but rule of funny allows it.

I have recently aquired my grandma's recipe for coffe cordial:
    *warning: this is a recipe involving strong spirits. if you are not elligible to drink strong spirits in your country don't do this*
    Spoiler
    Show
    0.5 l Jenever (dutch spirit based on juniperberries)
    80 'soft'* coffee beans (*slightly roasted like mocca)
    40 g vanilla sugar
    250 g sugar candy(some kind of rocklike very sweet sugar witha brown color)

put all this in a 1 l container and shake every day for 6-8 months. After 6-8 months strain the beans out and leave be for at least haf a year (best is a full year) and you're done.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

I made a canapé a few days ago. It was delicious. Lemma tell you about it.

Level 1) The bread. Nothing special. Baguette, sliced very thin, soaked in butter, oven-toasted.

Level 2) The meat. Mothersnuggling Beef Tenderloin. Slathering with olive oil, and rubbed down with a thick coating of fresh herbs from my garden (rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano). Grilled, painstakingly, patiently, godsnuggle perfect. Sliced about as thick as the bread. Meaty, tender, subtle hints of herb. Melts in your mouth. (Godsnuggle perfect. I was as surprised as anyone.)

Level 3) A tiny sprinkling of Roquefort.

Level 4) These onions. Lemme tell you about these onions. Never have I lit something on fire so many times. So, caramelized onions, right? But like, snuggling caramelized. Almost like you're making French Onion Soup. Like, snuggling caramelized. Little bit of salt, pepper, sugar. But then comes the Bourbon.

Whole snuggle-ton of bourbon. Light on fire. Cook down. Put out fire. Whole snuggle-ton of bourbon. Light on fire. Cook down. Put out fire. Over and over. Lemme tell ya, by the time I was done, these onions were more saturated with booze than my entire family combined (and they all have crippling alcoholism!).

One sliver of these - one sliver - like one of those tiniest sliveriest pieces you can cut from a single ring of an onion - one of those - was like a bourbonsplosion in your mouth. I would describe it as 'offensively bourbonesque' but in a good way. Lemme tell ya.

Level 5) Bourbon Sauce. Because of course.

So, I wanted thick. Like, thick like syrup. Which means - sugar. Lots of sugar. Problem with sugar? Don't want it snuggling sweet. Solution? Soy sauce! The sweet and salty murder each other in the face and I'm golden. Soy sauce, bourbon, violent amounts of sugar. Reduce. Aaaand reduce. And reduce until it's so thick and syruppy and about to burn that you think it's about to burn, but then you save it at the last second.

I would describe a dab of this sauce to be as if you were in a terrible accident, and then they were gonna Robocop you, but instead of replacing your body with computers, it was bourbon. But in a good way.

---

So, together, Bread/Meat/Cheese/Onions/Sauce. Delicious, amazing, incredible.

It was great.

Ok.
    So.
    You need to give more recipes.
    Because this was one of the best recipes I've ever read.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Ok.
    So.
    You need to give more recipes.
    Because this was one of the best recipes I've ever read.
    I must concur. A pleasure to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

This is something we made at work a few weeks ago for staff meal*. I'll tweak the recipe a little with the assumption that you're cooking out of your kitchen, and not an Asian restaurant's kitchen. So, you should probably be safe just starting at step #1 without reading ahead.

(*If you aren't familiar, restaurants tend to have a morning shift and an evening shift and, between the two, the kitchen cooks up something to be the 'staff meal' for all the employees. It tends to be cheap [because your employer is basically buying you all lunch every day, so best not to push your luck], quick [because you all want to hurry up and get some actual rest before the snuggling late shift starts], and large in quantity [because you obviously have to work at lunch time, serving lunch to the customers, everyone eats with a big gap between breakfast and their own 'lunch', and is thus ravenous]).

So,

#1) 1 egg. Beat/whip that snuggler.

#2) 1 cup of flour. Nothing fancy, just your standard all-purpose flour.

#3) 1 cup of... and I can't snuggling stress this enough - listen, okay? - okay? listen. Listen. Okay? Cold water. Now, I say 'Cold', but what I actually mean is Snuggling Cold. Okay? Got it? No. No, I don't think you have. Place your hand in that water. Have you a great suffering, naive? Colder, then. Find a way.

#4) Mix - very, very carefully - the flour, egg, and water (still cold... riiiight?). By carefully, I mean slowly and gently, like one would make love to an anemic water balloon. You... okay, wow. Okay, I just mean that there still needs to be some thickness to the mixture. You can mix it enough that it turns to just water consistency. But you don't want that. It's okay if it's a little non-uniform in texture, so long as it remains thick.

Troubleshooting at this stage:
    >"I think I over-mixed my batter. It's too thin."
    (1- Add a little more flour. 2- And take heart! For the rest of your life, you will never disappoint anyone. As much as you just disappointed me.)

#5) Purchase a chocolate cake. Now, #6-... what? Yes. A cake. Chocolate cake, heathen. And it better be cold for step #6, or the time of your great snuggling will be now (then?).

#6) Coat that cake in the batter you just made. The entire cake. Bottom too! All the way around. And don't set it down anywhere, or the batter will come off. This will make an incredible snuggle to clean up later. Entirely intentional.

#7) Part of me hopes that you read ahead before starting this recipe. Part of me hopes you're just now reading this, holding, in you hands, an entire chocolate cake dripping with tempura batter, desperate to find out what to do with it.

Drop that snuggle in the deep frier. Whole thing. Submerse it. Feel either shame at the terrible deed you are about to commit with this cake (eating it?), or shame that you do not have a large enough deep frier and are now, ostensibly, holding a soggy cake with no resolution in sight.

#8) When crispy on the outside and magma-like on the inside, pull the cake out. Gently, so you don't tear the batter, philistine. You may need multiple tongs, spatulas, and assistants to do this correctly without the molten blob of chocolate held together by a paper thin crust exploding onto your shoes. God knows I did. Have fun with that.

#9) Revel. (And salt, of course. Salt it.)

11. - Top - End - #41

Xefas, I will BUY your cookbook. All you have to do is write it.

12. - Top - End - #42

Actually though.
    I'm a student with negative monies.

And I will buy your cookbook.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I would as well. And enough copies for every relative and friend I have, and some extras for random pets, woodland creatures and strangers on the street.

Also, I'm going to go help cook dinner for 350 people for a fundraiser. Bacon Mac n Cheese, Lamb and Cranberry sausages, a marinaded chickenwhatever, some of that basil-tomato-mozarella-basalmic salad stuff and a bunch of punkin pies, as well as half a dozen things I forgot.

Yeah, we have fun with this.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

14. - Top - End - #44

Made some rather nice cookies the other day - white chocolate chip with macadamia is a good combo. And last night I made fluffy scrambled eggs with sausage and bacon and cheddar cheese. I love breakfast for dinner.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Made some rather nice cookies the other day - white chocolate chip with macadamia is a good combo. And last night I made fluffy scrambled eggs with sausage and bacon and cheddar cheese. I love breakfast for dinner.
    You just named like two of my five favorite foods. I'd get creative with the kind of cheese, personally, but still.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

16. - Top - End - #46

Feel free to name the others.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!