New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Dandy

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Space Dandy

Alright, so a new Anime series premiered on Toonami tonight. It's got a pretty impressive pedigree going all the way back to Cowboy Beebop. The show's also a pure comedy.

The premise is pretty much: Johnny Bravo in space hunting for new alien species with his robot and friends. Everyone is incompetent. EVERYONE.

and now we go spoilery
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, so it begins with an extended fourth-wall break. Then they go to Hooters. The straight man in the group is actually the narrator. And like I mentioned before he's also incompetent at his job. So then the plot happens, and the episode ends with everyone dying horribly. Roll teaser for next episode.

I'm not sure what to even make of this. It has a lot of potential, there were some good jokes, but the show spent a lot of time setting itself up (first episodes being what they are).
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Space Dandy

I'll be waiting for the sub to be out tomorrow. No Viva Namida is a complete dealbreaker, on top of lackluster Funi dub.

3. - Top - End - #3

Loved it. Especially that extended sequence at the alien planet. It's just a wonderful show in all the right ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    I'll be waiting for the sub to be out tomorrow. No Viva Namida is a complete dealbreaker, on top of lackluster Funi dub.
    The dub isn't actually bad. The only real offensive thing was a complete abuse of the pitch-correction effect.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I liked it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The dub isn't actually bad. The only real offensive thing was a complete abuse of the pitch-correction effect.
    All I know yet is that the lead actor was also in Baccano!, which is enough for me.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Why does this need its own thread where we have a perfectly good anime discussion thread around?

Also, I'm interested in this show. Hoping for good comedy and a non-egregious fanservice to humour ratio.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know why it needs one either but... now it's got one?

I also saw the dub so far. The voice acting was... okay? Nothing really bad about it but I'm still curious about the Japanese... I think it will be better but we'll see.

Spoiler: Plot or something like that
    Show

I... really like crazy humour and fourth wall jokes but towards the end it felt like it went a bit over the top? The whole planet scene felt way too much like... not really slapstick comedy. I'm not sure where to put it. But it was a bit too surreal for me.
    Still, I'm curious about the rest of the show. And I actually don't mind the visit to that breastaurant. Though, I have to wonder why so many alien species are attracted to human females with big boobs...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

The biggest thought I have about the show is constant irritation at their abuse of the word dandy. To quote wikipedia a dandy is: "A dandy[1] (also known as a beau or gallant[2]) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self.[3] Historically, especially in late 18th- and early 19th-century Britain, a dandy, who was self-made, often strove to imitate an aristocratic lifestyle despite coming from a middle-class background."

I just have a constant track running in the back of my mind going "That's not what a dandy is!" whenever I think about the show. I know it's unfair, but I can't really look past it. Possibly because there's nothing about the show that really stands out as particularly interesting to me.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler: Plot or something like that
    Show

I... really like crazy humour and fourth wall jokes but towards the end it felt like it went a bit over the top? The whole planet scene felt way too much like... not really slapstick comedy. I'm not sure where to put it. But it was a bit too surreal for me.
    Still, I'm curious about the rest of the show. And I actually don't mind the visit to that breastaurant. Though, I have to wonder why so many alien species are attracted to human females with big boobs...
    It was mentioned that the restaurant hired aliens from multiple species, and that the makeup of each restaurant was wildly different. So presumably this one was just a largely human-heavy one but with enough overlap for multiple species.

Though honestly that's an excuse and we all know it. Just like the way the alien planet was an excuse to have an ultra-psychadellic romp through crazy explosions and monsters. Heck, that thing with the chain was probably an excuse to animate the effects they wanted.

The entire mantra for the series seems to basically be "just go with it". It's not about setting consistency or an epic plot, it's about breasts, laughs, and explosions and it never advertised itself as otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    The biggest thought I have about the show is constant irritation at their abuse of the word dandy. To quote wikipedia a dandy is: "A dandy[1] (also known as a beau or gallant[2]) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self.[3] Historically, especially in late 18th- and early 19th-century Britain, a dandy, who was self-made, often strove to imitate an aristocratic lifestyle despite coming from a middle-class background."

I just have a constant track running in the back of my mind going "That's not what a dandy is!" whenever I think about the show. I know it's unfair, but I can't really look past it. Possibly because there's nothing about the show that really stands out as particularly interesting to me.
    Dandy seems to be his actual first name. Which I find reasonably believable, since a lot of people name their kids after weird things.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2014-01-05 at 01:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake, for instance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Why does this need its own thread where we have a perfectly good anime discussion thread around?
    Because the OP wanted a more focussed, discrete discussion that's less likely to get lost in a mass of posts expressing surprise that an obviously bad series had a less than satisfactory ending?
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-02-02 at 05:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

So Space Flashman or Rincewind?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #14

Dandy seems to be his actual first name. Which I find reasonably believable, since a lot of people name their kids after weird things.
    All signs point to this or

Spoiler
    Show
    He's an idiot that just likes easy names. Like the third crew member.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

A pure comedy? Well I'll check it out. I could use a good laugh to start my year.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone else think it is interesting the dub showed up almost immediately following the original show? Like, within a week of the series launch? the show premiered in the US before Japan?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2014-01-06 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh Lord! If Andy Warhol had lived to be an anime author, this is what he would have given us. I must watch this series. Now.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Anyone else think it is interesting the dub showed up almost immediately following the original show? Like, within a week of the series launch? the show premiered in the US before Japan?
    Looks that way. Funimation/Adult Swim must have pulled a lot of stings/paid some good money to be able to do this. Also look at the time slot. 11:30PM. I suspect they have a lot riding on this.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Looks that way. Funimation/Adult Swim must have pulled a lot of stings/paid some good money to be able to do this. Also look at the time slot. 11:30PM. I suspect they have a lot riding on this.
    And lo and behold, Space Dandy was the highest-rated show for the entire Toonami block during its debut. One hopes the ratings remain strong, as flawed as the whole Nielsen system is.

As for me, I loved it. If the series mantra is "just go with it," then I'm going with it all the way.
    "It's not the Wild West anymore. You can't just clean up the streets with a gun... even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Just watched the pilot and it was... trippy. Pretty amusing though.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

So, what with three episodes out I'm still not entirely sure what to think of it. Episodes 2 and 3 certainly were less like what I imagine an LSD trip to be like but in general it's still very weird with hardly any consistency. I guess that's not bad in itself but... it hardly makes me laugh. Which I guess is the one thing the show should do (except show us Boobies and promote the idea of new species registration bounties (I actually think that's a pretty cool idea. Why isn't there such a thing in real life?)

On a side note, parts of the opening theme weirdly remind me of Captain Future's. Not sure if its my imagination, though.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

So, what with three episodes out I'm still not entirely sure what to think of it. Episodes 2 and 3 certainly were less like what I imagine an LSD trip to be like but in general it's still very weird with hardly any consistency. I guess that's not bad in itself but... it hardly makes me laugh. Which I guess is the one thing the show should do (except show us Boobies and promote the idea of new species registration bounties (I actually think that's a pretty cool idea. Why isn't there such a thing in real life?)

On a side note, parts of the opening theme weirdly remind me of Captain Future's. Not sure if its my imagination, though.
    Saw the new episode last week.
    Spoiler: Spoiler on old episodes?
    Show
    Turns out the bounty job was harder than expectations and always gone broke. Poor Cat with food snapshot, he didn't get to eat his ramen with tear recipes.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I just noticed that they use mulongs(sp) as currency. Does this mean that this take place in Cowboy Beboop's far future?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I just noticed that they use mulongs(sp) as currency. Does this mean that this take place in Cowboy Beboop's far future?
    Woolongs. Yeah, noticed that too. I wasn't sure if CB adapted hem from somewhere else but it seems they really came up with it and Dandy just decided to steal borrow from a much better show (also, apparently Woolongs are now part of the bitcoin system. Now we just have to blow up the moon...)
    I still don't think they are supposed to be in the same universe, just a random reference.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Monster Hunter and Megaman Battle Network both use the Zenny as currency. Therefore, Capcom has decided that Megaman Battle Network is the distant future of Monster Hunter.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #26

Woolongs. Yeah, noticed that too. I wasn't sure if CB adapted hem from somewhere else but it seems they really came up with it and Dandy just decided to steal borrow from a much better show (also, apparently Woolongs are now part of the bitcoin system. Now we just have to blow up the moon...)
    I still don't think they are supposed to be in the same universe, just a random reference.
    I'm pretty sure it's either a different universe or they managed to fix the whole asteroid issue with Earth
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I just love the opening narration bit. That lovely, lovely late 70s/early 80s sound.

28. - Top - End - #28

Alright then.
    It looks like it's just standard procedure to have the episode go completely off the rails on the second half to hilarious results then completely ignore the unignorable results of the plot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone became a zombie, then they ate yogurt. There was universal peace. Also they cashed in on life insurance policies.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah the show is always going to "reset" back to how things basically where at the end of the first episode. Being freed from worrying about a long term plot give you a certain type of freedom. And Space Dandy is abusing the *^%$# out of that freedom.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    This movie was directed by George A. Romero.