New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A366 additional

The "holding the charge" rules also state that touching anything, even unintentionally, will discharge the touch spell. So casting a touch spell and holding the charge indefinitely, as suggested in the original answer, isn't really realistic over a protracted period, and attempting to do so may result in your DM using liberal definitions of "anything" and "unintentionally."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2012-04-21 at 05:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

Q368: Does the reach given by Lunge have a "hole" like a reach weapon?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A368 No, not unless you're also using a reach weapon, but that still only widens the reach, not the hole.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks

Oh
    Q369
    Runeforged weapons mention their penalties are incurred when they are wielded but Jealous and Domineering have effects that occur as long as they are carried. Does this mean a character can (for example) keep a +1 Jealous Dagger in a sheath to shield against negative levels?

Q370
    How does Heat Metal work for a Metal Elementalist? It's both in his specialty and opposition school.

edit

Q371

The capstone for celestial bloodline gives "Unlimited use of the Wings of Heaven ability". How does this work for Empyreal, which trades away Wings of Heaven?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-04-22 at 10:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ignore, wrong thread.
    Last edited by darkbuu_1; 2012-04-22 at 03:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q372: If a Sorcerer had a bloodline that grants +1 damage on spells per die rolled, does this also apply if that spell has bonus damage such as from Sneak Attack?

7. - Top - End - #817

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Thanks

Oh
    Q369
    Runeforged weapons mention their penalties are incurred when they are wielded but Jealous and Domineering have effects that occur as long as they are carried. Does this mean a character can (for example) keep a +1 Jealous Dagger in a sheath to shield against negative levels?

edit

Q371

The capstone for celestial bloodline gives "Unlimited use of the Wings of Heaven ability". How does this work for Empyreal, which trades away Wings of Heaven?
    A369: RAW, yes you can. There is a penalty for carrying more than 2 runeforged weapons at a time, however.

A371: Empyreal bloodlines don't get the wings of heaven ability, therefore don't get to use it indefinitely at 20th level.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A372 Sneak attack is not part of the normal spell damage, so I would say no, but I don't think there are any specific rules covering this. Since precision damage is just extended damage from the same source, it could also be ruled otherwise by a generous GM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

A372 Dispute:
    If it calls out a specific type of damage (like the Primal bloodline which says +1 to each fire damage die), I would say yes, as sneak attack is explicitly the kind of damage dealt, so each sneak attack die is also a fire damage die.
    Q373
    Can a Witch take Improved Familiar?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-04-24 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

A373: Yes. If they can keep the spells known or not is not elaborated on though.

Q374
    Can two subdomains that don't overlap with spells and powers changed be combined?

11. - Top - End - #821
    Pixie in the Playground

Q375: The spell "Feather Fall" has a stated duration of "until landing or 1 round/level". Does this mean the caster chooses which duration to apply, the lesser of the two applies, or the greater of the two?

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A372+ Yes, effects related to a specific energy, rather than just the spell, work with sneak attack since it deals the same kind of energy.

A373+ Yes, there are also a few FAQs lying around on the matter that have been answered by the devs. To sum it up, you can release your current familiar and get a new one without additional costs or penalties and the old familiar remembers its spells for 24 hours after having the link broken so you can convince it teach them to the new one at the rate of one per hour with successful checks (in addition to the ones acquired by default when you get a new familiar).

A374 You can only have a single subdomain of any domain regardless of what would otherwise overlap.

A375 The lesser of the durations always takes precedence. If you land while the duration has not yet expired, the spell ends. Likewise if you haven't landed by the time the duration expires, the spell ends, and you fall as normal.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A373+ Yes, there are also a few FAQs lying around on the matter that have been answered by the devs. To sum it up, you can release your current familiar and get a new one without additional costs or penalties and the old familiar remembers its spells for 24 hours after having the link broken so you can convince it teach them to the new one at the rate of one per hour with successful checks (in addition to the ones acquired by default when you get a new familiar).
    Q373++
    Can you link to said FAQ's? It's not in the Pathfinder FAQ.
    As a side note, I would almost feel bad about that.
    "Yeah, you are fired, but first you have to train your replacement."
    Ouch, that's cold.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q376

An alchemist adds his intelligence modifier to the damage done with thrown splash weapons, per the Throw Anything ability. Does a Grenadier using the Alchemical Weapon ability benefit similarly, as "The alchemical item takes full effect on the next creature struck by the weapon", or is it tied to the actual act of throwing the weapon, IE taking the 'Throw Splash weapon' action?

Alchemical Weapon (Su)

At 2nd level, a grenadier can infuse a weapon or piece of ammunition with a single harmful alchemical liquid or powder, such as alchemist’s fire or sneezing powder, as a move action. This action consumes the alchemical item, but transfers its effect to the weapon in question.

The alchemical item takes full effect on the next creature struck by the weapon, but does not splash, spread, or otherwise affect additional targets. Any extra damage added is treated like bonus dice of damage, and is not doubled on a critical hit. The alchemical treatment causes no harm to the weapon treated, and wears off 1 minute after application if no blow is struck. At 6th level, a grenadier can use her alchemical weapon ability as a swift action. At 15th level, this ability becomes a free action.
    Throw Anything (Ex)

All alchemists gain the Throw Anything feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. An alchemist adds his Intelligence modifier to damage done with Throw Splash Weapon, including the splash damage if any. This bonus damage is already included in the bomb class feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A376 It works only on thrown weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Q373++ Can you link to said FAQ's? It's not in the Pathfinder FAQ.
    Official FAQs are somewhat hard to find, sometimes it's just forum posts that haven't been included in any actual FAQ. Even after searching for half an hour, I couldn't find all of it, but here's some of the relevant info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Improved Familiar FAQ
    http://paizo.com/products/btpy88yj/faq#v5748eaic9o81

[...] The exception to the above is if you take the Improved Familiar feat, which allows you to immediately replace your familiar with the new familiar, at no cost or time required (it is assumed this occurs during whatever preparations you make while leveling up). [...]
    So taking improved familiar replaces your familiar at no cost. In the case of witch, losing spells would be a pretty big cost, so a better solution should be proposed by the GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    [...] If a familiar belongs to a witch that has died, it only retains its knowledge of spells for 24 hours, during which time it is possible to coerce or bribe the familiar into teaching its spells to another, subject to GM discretion.[...]
    While it doesn't explicitly say so, I think it's safe to assume that if the link is broken in a different way (such as by dismissing the familiar), it would likewise retain the knowledge for 24 hours and be able to teach the new familiar. This is otherwise specific to witch familiars and a case of specific overruling the general rules (which say that a dismissed familiar reverts to a normal creature of its type).

Due to the somewhat lacking rules, you're gonna have to work out the details with the GM (or if you are the GM, decide what the appropriate course of action is). The important part to note is that the character should not be penalized for taking a feat that is meant to be an improvement.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Well, I hope to ask them right. Here they are:

Q377: I'm invisibile, for the 2nd level spell or for the 4th one no matter. Someone is using Arcane Sight (normal or greater): he will see that an Insivibility spell is working, and even where I exactly am, but not who I am. Right?

Q378: I'm insivibile, as above, and I've got Mind Blank. If someone is using True Seeing, will he notice me?

Q379: Can I cast Invisibility or Illusory Wall on my Prismatic Wall?
    Last edited by Meph; 2012-04-27 at 07:07 AM.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Well, I hope to ask them right. Here they are:

Q377: I'm invisible, for the 2nd level spell or for the 4th one no matter. Someone is using Arcane Sight (normal or greater): he will see that an Invisibility spell is working, and even where I exactly am, but not who I am. Right?
    A 377
    I don't think so. I think you cannot be detected by Arcane Sight while invisible.
    The glossary says "Invisible creatures are visually undetectable" and Arcane Sight lets the caster see magical auras.

Q378: I'm invisible, as above, and I've got Mind Blank. If someone is using True Seeing, will he notice me?
    A 378You will not be noticed.
    Mind Blank specifies that the most powerful spells will not reveal information about you, and includes invisibility (in that the description specifically mentions See invisible as an example of the spells that Mind Blank protects against).

Q379: Can I cast Invisibility or Illusory Wall on my Prismatic Wall?
    A 379
    The Prismatic Wall is made of light. The description of Invisibility says "Light, however, never becomes invisible, although a source of light can become so (thus, the effect is that of a light with no visible source)." So I think that Invisibility would just hide the wall, but not the disco light show!
    If you put Illusory Wall in front of the Prismatic Wall, then it will hide it.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-04-27 at 08:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828

SolithKnightGuy

Q380: If a spellcasters BAB is high enough, and he's using a touch spell that allows multiple castings (For instance, Chill Touch), can he make multiple touch attacks per round or is he limited to one?

Q381: Does using Spectral Hand break invisibility?
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A377 dispute The invisibility spell still has a magical aura which can be seen, even if you can't see the creature itself. So yes, arcane sight should allow one to perceive invisible creatures, but the details of how the aura looks like is up to the GM. It may be just a faint glow, giving the creature all the benefits of invisibility aside from the caster knowing which space it's in (kind of like using blindsense). On the other hand, the GM may rule that it's a detailed outline of the creature, enough to identify even it's facial features. Personally, I think the first option is closer to the RAI.

A380 Not on the first round, no. Once he casts the spell, he only gets one free attack, but he can make a full attack on subsequent rounds. On the other hand, if the caster is a magus using spell combat, he gets a free attack from casting the spell and gets to also make a full attack in the same round (albeit at a -2 penalty to all attack rolls).

A381 If used in an offensive manner, yes.

--

Q382 Are there any official published adventure modules that take place in or around the city of Magnimar? Aside from Rise of the Runelords.

20. - Top - End - #830

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Q382 Are there any official published adventure modules that take place in or around the city of Magnimar? Aside from Rise of the Runelords.
    Partial A382: There's Feast of Ravenmoore for one, though it's just a module, and not an adventure path like Runelords is. Could probably be completed in 8-10 hours. I don't know of any others.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q382+ Ravenmoor is actually quite a ways north from Magnimar, closer to Riddleport in fact. I was hoping for something inside or in the immediate vicinity. I guess I might have to make up something of my own if there's nothing closer.

22. - Top - End - #832

Q 383

If I'm mounted, and I want my mount to do more than move up to its speed, does it use its own actions, or mine?

23. - Top - End - #833
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q:384

Can you take 10 on a stealth check? Or does the danger of being caught activate the "danger clause"?

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Q:385(?)
    Does the Silent Spell ability of a Deafened Curse Oracle apply to other classes for a multi-class character?
    A384 Not if you are in combat. Otherwise, I think so.

25. - Top - End - #835

Quote Originally Posted by Volos View Post
    Q367: Can a Horizon Walker choose his effective favored enemy through Terrain Dominance as his favored enemy type for the feat Favored Defense? (Sources; Horizon Walker (Core), Favored Defense (Advanced Player's Guide). Asking because I found a way to get Favored Terrain X +20 by the time Terrain Dominance kicks in. Would be nice to have +20 Atk, Dmg, Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival; and +10 CMD and Dodge AC vs foes from Terrain X.
    Q367(Expanded): For example, if a Ranger who enters Horizon Walker has Favored Enemy (Human) as well as Terrain Dominance (Urban), would the benifits from Favored Defense vs Humans work off his normal Favored Enemy bonus or the replaced bonus from Terrain Dominance (Urban)? If one does not normally possess Favored Enemy, but does possess Terrain Dominance, can one quailify for the feat Favored Defense?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q386:Magus Spell strike/spell combat.

SRD says (not a direct quote) something like "whenever you cast a touch spell, you make a free melee attack with your weapon." it also looks like you can use spell combat with it (albiet with the penalties associated.)

did i read that right? does that mean a Lvl 2 magus can hit potentially hit twice with a sword AND cast a touch spell AND cast a second spell? all as part of a free action+standard action?

Thanks for clearing this up, hope it's not a stupid question

edit: here's the SRD quotes i'm confused about

SRD regarding spell combat
    ...while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty).
    SRD regarding spell strike
    ...he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon...
    my bold for emphasis
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 2012-05-02 at 07:48 PM. Reason: clarification

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

A386
    Yep. Remember you have medium BAB and all melee attacks in that round take -2 penalty (Also note Arcane Mark allows you to do Spell Combat endlessly).

28. - Top - End - #838

A 386 DISPUTE

That's not right. You can't cast two spells, as you still have to cast the touch spell (using up your free cast for spell combat), you are simply able to deliver it through a weapon attack, as opposed to the free touch attack you normally get for casting a touch spell.

You cannot attack, cast a touch spell (such as Shocking Grasp), deliver it with spellstrike (giving you another attack), and then cast another spell (such as Color Spray).

29. - Top - End - #839

A380 DISPUTE: From the SRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder PRD
    Range
    A spell's range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the range entry of the spell description. A spell's range is the maximum distance from you that the spell's effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell's point of origin. If any portion of the spell's area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted. Standard ranges include the following.

Personal: The spell affects only you.

Touch: You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.
    So as a full round action, one could deliver up to 6 touches of Chill Touch.

A385: The text reads as that all of 'your' spells are modified by the Silent Spell feat. It does not exclude spells from certain classes or from multiclassing. Other similar abilities from other classes have included this exclusion, so it is safe to assume that the lack of exclusion is on purpose. For now, unless an errata comes out to dispute, it would seem that all of the spells are modified by the Silent Spell feat, even in the Oracle multiclasses.

A386 DISPUTE DETAILED ANSWER: Spell Combat is a Full Round Action, as noted in the quote from the SRD posted above. Spell Strike allows the Magus to deliver his free touch attack through a weapon attack, giving the spell delivered the critical range (but not modifier) of the weapon used. So the action economy of the moment breaks down like this...

Full Round Action: Spell Combat (Full Attack Plus Casting Spell w/ Standard Action Casting Time)
    Free Action: Spell Strike (Free Melee Attack to Deliever Touch Attack Spell)
    5ft Step: Just Cause

So for example, a Magus who starts his turn 5ft from a foe could decide to start his Spell Combat, cast his free touch spell, take a 5ft step toward his foe, make the free melee attack to deliver the spell, then unleash his full attack. There isn't any action economy left to cast a second spell, he simply doesn't have another Standard Action. Not to mention that he has already cast a spell this turn, and would have to Quicken the next spell cast that turn by RAW.
    Last edited by Volos; 2012-05-03 at 09:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q387
    Bard, Ranger and Druid in a party. Ranger has a wolf animal companion, Druid has a summon nature ally II out and the bard uses oratory.

Does the bards Inspire Courage effect the wolf and nature ally II? We use pretty much just core.

"To be affected, an ally must be able to perceive the bard’s performance." PHB
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard

Does Pathfinder define what perceive is? At first glance (came up for the first time last night) the DM said no, since neither can understand common. Would Percussion performance change this per RAW?