New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Light-Armour Paladin?

Hey folks, I need some help with this character idea I've got rolling around. My group's mostly been playing Pathfinder lately, so my 3.5 knowledge is a little rusty...

Are there any options out their (classes, prestige classes, alternate class features, etc.) for a holy warrior who isn't weighed down by heavy armour? I want to make a fast-and-furious, sword-slinging paragon of justice, but I'm just not sure how. My original idea was just to have him be a swordsage with some liberal re-fluffing, but I'm certain I can do better than that.

So give me a hand, guys: how can I make a "paladin" with nothing more than light armour?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Light-Armour Paladin?

You could just play a Paladin.. and wear light armor? There aren't actually any class features that require or even encourage you to wear heavy armor; light armor just means you need to invest more in other ways to get the same AC (and once you have some money to work with, mithril breastplate is a Light armor that's only 3 points off of full plate. It's not that big a sacrifice.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

High Dexterity.

Over time, lots of characters who are in heavy armor classes gravitate towards lighter armor in order to utilize good or increasing better dexterity bonuses to AC. Mithril chain shirts and mithril full plate are kind of the two ideal armors that most characters gravitate towards eventually. They can be expensive, but they're more than worth it. There aren't many reasons why a person would use one of the few +9 or +10 AC armors rather than switching from heavy armor down to medium with Mithril Full Plate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Tyckspoon's mostly right.

The only thing that steers a paladin toward heavy armor is his MADness. If you take CC's bonus feat option in place of spellcasting you can put the points you would've put in wis into dex instead and just wear light armor.

The entire paladin spell list is available in wands, and most of it's available as potions for the ones you really have to have when you need them, but don't need them often.

Of course you could just pick any fighter type you like (say warblade for instance) and PrC into Fist of Raziel in BoED. You don't get much more holy, evil-smiting warrior than Fist of Raziel.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Mithral Breastplate!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

A couple Paladins ago I played a guy who wandered around, doing good deeds and helping people before the adventure in question came calling. You can't really do a lot of practical, everyday good for regular people in full plate, and riding around in it all day is damnably uncomfortable, so he went around in a suit of studded leather, only donning the heavy stuff when he knew S*** was about to get Real.
    YOUNG GOAT!

Get out of my mind
    My love for you is way out of line
    Better run, GOAT
    You're much to young, GOAT!

7. - Top - End - #7

I would start with the underdark knight varient and work up from that

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoatToucher View Post
    A couple Paladins ago I played a guy who wandered around, doing good deeds and helping people before the adventure in question came calling. You can't really do a lot of practical, everyday good for regular people in full plate, and riding around in it all day is damnably uncomfortable, so he went around in a suit of studded leather, only donning the heavy stuff when he knew S*** was about to get Real.
    Reminds me of the Elenium and Tamuli series by David Eddings. The characters in there are essentially paladins of different variants and one of the recurring comments is about their armour: it's heavy, it smells, and unless you're in a straight knock-up, sword-swinging fight it isn't the most useful. (They actually down a preceptor by making him swim in plate, while the regional 'holy order' of knights opts for the lighter chain mail instead.)

Hmmm... in one of the campaigns I'm in, I'm gonna invest in some 'travelling vestments' once my paladin gets her mount.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

You could use the Prestige Paladin from UA together with a 2 level Swordsage Dip
    to get Wisdom to AC so you don't need as much Dex.

Something like Cloistered Cleric 1/Crusader 3/Swordsage 2/Prestige Pala 3
    and follow it up with one of the full BAB Cleric prestige classes for good combat ability and decent spellcasting.
    I'd ask the DM to waive the requirement to worship Wee Jas from Ruby Knight Vindicator.

You'd need to take Mounted Combat and a few ranks in ride, and probably the Holy Mount feat (DR325) to keep your mount useful.
    Last edited by sleepyphoenixx; 2012-10-28 at 05:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blkmge View Post
    Reminds me of the Elenium and Tamuli series by David Eddings. The characters in there are essentially paladins of different variants and one of the recurring comments is about their armour: it's heavy, it smells, and unless you're in a straight knock-up, sword-swinging fight it isn't the most useful. (They actually down a preceptor by making him swim in plate, while the regional 'holy order' of knights opts for the lighter chain mail instead.)

Hmmm... in one of the campaigns I'm in, I'm gonna invest in some 'travelling vestments' once my paladin gets her mount.
    Yeah, there's some issues with that, as the real world weapons and armor thread has probably gone over at least a dozen times by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I wanted exactly the same thing: a righteous sword-swingin' acrobat o' death.

The build I went with which has served me exceeding well so far (Pathfinder 3.5 Hybrid, but fully viable under pure 3.5) is:
    Monk 2 (Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, Combat reflexes)
    Paladin 5 (Feats:Law Devotion, Spring attack, True Believer)
    Pious Templar 1
    Swordsage 4 (unarmed variant, Feats: Elusive target, Adaptive style)
    Crusader 1 (Feat: Combat patrol)
    Swordsage 11 (Feats: Two weapon fighting, Martial stance, Martial Maneuver)

By mashing classes like this, You lose some monk abilities because of light armour, and I don't get the highest level maneuvers at the end of the build but that's compensated for by both what I do get and also by the fact that the character is fun to play and effective at every level:

For armour class, you get Wisdom to AC from swordsage. You can also (and should!) take Law Devotion, which you can fuel from the Paladin's turning/channel energy ability. That gives a very yummy scaling bonus to AC or Attack. If you are using Pathfinder, you get Divine Bond, so you can add Defending to any weapon you wield, if you like, and smiting further improves your AC, if you need to go toe to toe with the big bad. Add on the occasional buff from the cleric and at level 12 (where I am now) I can push my AC into the 40's, without any major ticket magic items (Mithril breatsplate +2, amulet of natural armour +2 and ring of protection +2)

The combination of monk (Evasion, which you get much earlier than via swordsage) and Templar (mettle) means no damage or nasty effects on anything I can save against :) And of course Divine grace + Monk equals really good saves, which can be further boosted by some martial maneuvers. Max that Charisma!

Monks get full STR on off hand attacks, which plays well with two weapon fighting ... and a greatsword! Vast amusement to be had from whacking someone with the greatsword ... and then kicking them in the face!

Combat tactics: get all up in their grill! I tend to move around a lot, seeking out enemy spellcasters and hitting them with the biggest attack I've got. The combination of a maxed-out acrobactics roll, Leaping Dragon stance and maneuvers like sudden leap and shadow jaunt gives great mobility. This naturally means that you often end up surrounded by enemies - in which case elusive target is hilarious: the first time one of your opponents lands a massive attack on the enemy who's flanking you, they suddenly get all antsy about flanking. If you like to push your luck (and I have reroll via magic scarf just in case!) enemies tend to bunch up around you, especially if you are attacking the boss, which means your buddies land land area affects on you and them ... and evasion/mettle means no damage! If you do get hurt, Pathfinder Paladins get swift healing via lay on hands, which will keep you up for a while.

You could get by without crusader, but the combination of combat reflexes, combat patrol and thicket of blades was simply too good for me to pass up, plus you get a bunch of useful mid-evel maneuvers.

It's no tier 1 character, but I have never had as much fun as I have with this guy. The combination of high AC and good saves means that frequently I come out of major fights with no HP damage at all, and I have very few powers/abilities that are used up, so I can do this over and over again.
    Last edited by Markdoc; 2012-12-22 at 08:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

My buddy had a Duskblade that wore this: Mithral Tessellated Full Plate. Now you have the protection of Full Plate with the maneuverability of a Chain Shirt!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

See the Serenity feat from Dragon Compendium, which makes all your Cha-based paladin abilities Wis-based. Combine with at least 2 levels of swordsage.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-12-22 at 11:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you are Ok with being an archer, the Divine Hunter archetype trades Heavy Armor Proficiency for ranged effectiveness. And since you'll be in the back spamming evil smiting arrows, AC should be less of an issue and you will be focusing on Dex from the start.

EDIT : thought you were still playing Pathfinder.
    Last edited by Raven777; 2012-12-22 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

An Illumian can switch bonus spells around to be based on Dex instead of Wis, if you wanted. But Serenity is probably the better option.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

I'll love to see a roguish Paladin Archetype.
    My friend ran a campaign where evil ruled everywhere. We lived in a nation ruled by a beholder. I was a paladin, & wished I could borrow from some of the rogue's skills & light armor, & maybe some other powers so that I could hide my holiness, & worship in secret

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want Paladin spellcasting and some Paladin-flavor, you could use the Pious Templar prestige class found in Complete Divine, mixing it with the Swashbuckler class found in Complete Warrior.

Not that optimal, but it's a quick and easy way to build a lightly-armored paladinesque warrior who still goes around casting Holy Sword, smites enemies, and is quite resilient against enemy magic (thanks to their Mettle, which however only specifically works against spells).

As an alternative to the Swashbuckler, you might wanna use the Thug Fighter variant combined with the sneak attack Fighter variant.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

A swordsman in light armour with his trusty steed, skilled at battling demonic foes, and capable of casting some spells to achieve that goal? Sounds like a Ranger to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Yeah, there's some issues with that, as the real world weapons and armor thread has probably gone over at least a dozen times by now.
    But this character didn't live in the real world. He lived in a D&D world where studded leather is proven to be effective and plate armor limits your maneuverability a ton, so as a D&D character his actions where reasonable.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to say things like you can use Pathfinder Material. Ask your DM very kindly to be able to do this

Take one level of Lore Oracle and let's say Tongues curse. You get Cha to AC instead of Dex, limited by armor like Dex is.

Then Celestial Chain. I think it's a +8 or 9 max Dex(or Cha for you). Everybody wins.

Celestial Armor I think is in 3.5 somewhere. Not a clue as to what book. Also Slippers of Battledancing PHB2

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Being a TWF Pally can be pretty good if you can do it right. It does, of course, work much better in PF when Smite lasts until the BBEG is dead, but I think it could still work out in 3.5

And if you're going TWF you have enough Dex to make up for light armor (You're also a faster runner so you can base faster... would a TWF Pounce Pally work?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

All my heavy armor characters invest in that armor crystal that makes it air conditioned and comfy. At less than 2k, I can't imagine why not everyone grabs one.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-12-23 at 07:31 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

i dont play PF but i loved this char i once made in 3.5, dwarf TWF paladin. Light armored and still high ac due to dex (which you need for twf).

It was pretty ****ty in 3.5 (MAD like hell, feat starved) but I loved it.

edit: missed dayazds post, but pretty much what he said.
    Last edited by mirror; 2012-12-23 at 07:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    My buddy had a Duskblade that wore this: Mithral Tessellated Full Plate. Now you have the protection of Full Plate with the maneuverability of a Chain Shirt!
    Umm, where does it actually say that you can manufacture specific suits of armor from a different material? I always thought they were as is.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    The entire paladin spell list is available in wands, and most of it's available as potions for the ones you really have to have when you need them, but don't need them often.
    The choicest paladin spells cant be used from wands, despite what people think, and that variant is the definitive worst printed paladin varient, even worse then the version in Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    I would start with the underdark knight varient and work up from that
    Terrible ACF unless you specifically can get the DM to allow you to use a bottle of air, or get something that makes your character not need to breath

Quote Originally Posted by Dayaz View Post
    Being a TWF Pally can be pretty good if you can do it right. It does, of course, work much better in PF when Smite lasts until the BBEG is dead, but I think it could still work out in 3.5

And if you're going TWF you have enough Dex to make up for light armor (You're also a faster runner so you can base faster... would a TWF Pounce Pally work?)
    although inherently fun, the TWF paladin is impossible (to support in class) in 3.5 without homebrew.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

The CC paladin variant explicitly can't use spell trigger items of their spell list, so unless you're cross-classing some points into UMD, wands don't get around the loss of spells that the ACF trades in.

It's really only worth it if you're dipping paladin for full BAB/divine grace/turn undead, and you need to eke an extra feat into your build. Otherwise, I'd say the paladin's spell list, despite being fairly limited, is worth way more than four bonus feats.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A swordsman in light armour with his trusty steed, skilled at battling demonic foes, and capable of casting some spells to achieve that goal? Sounds like a Ranger to me.
    Or, you know, a paladin who wears light armour. The two classes are really pretty similar, just with different paradigms.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    The CC paladin variant explicitly can't use spell trigger items of their spell list, so unless you're cross-classing some points into UMD, wands don't get around the loss of spells that the ACF trades in.

It's really only worth it if you're dipping paladin for full BAB/divine grace/turn undead, and you need to eke an extra feat into your build. Otherwise, I'd say the paladin's spell list, despite being fairly limited, is worth way more than four bonus feats.
    as i said, the Dragon version is better, although it costs you divine grace, it gets you a fighter bonus feat at every level divisible by 4, and you keep spellcasting.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

29. - Top - End - #29

If you are going to play a Paladin who relies more on his own mobility than that of a mount to get him around, you might as well crank up his speed with speed-boosting magic items and think about the Charging Smite ACF from PHB II (lose mount, get much stronger Smite attacks when charging; combo with Rhino's Rush from SpC and you won't miss the Spirited Charge feat with a lance at all).

It's a nice ACF since you're not dependent on having wide open spaces where you can take your warhorse and get in those canonical mounted charges, and fits with the idea of a lighter, nimbler paladin. (Plus you can go full Charge-adin if you want, what with Leap Attack and whatnot, if that's your thing.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

How about a Cloistered Cleric/PrC Paladin who uses Persistant Divine Favor to qualify for Paladin earlier, and has Celerity Domain for the speed boost? That would get you there.

JaronK