New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Twilight - Love it, or Hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Further, as with Eragon, there's the complaint that kids are reading this thoroughly mediocre writing. (and that's being generous.) and forming conceptions about books in general. Not necessarily either the author's or reader's fault, but it still happens.
    I'm not seeing this as a fault, considering both series influenced children/young adults who wouldn't normally read to do so.
    Ala my sister.
    Who hates reading.
    Who read the entire Twilight series in a week.
    And who was then easily convinced to read An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

I thank Stephanie Meyers for that, atleast.
    Last edited by RabbitHoleLost; 2009-06-02 at 07:06 PM.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just ducked into this conversation to say:

Nerd-o-Rama, I go to a high school FILLED with Twilight-obsessed girls. Not one day goes by without me seeing at least two different Twilight-related shirts or bags (Hey, in my tiny school that's a lot).

So thank you SO MUCH for posting about that "Buffy staked Edward" T-shirt! I have located it online and am currently trying to get enough money to order it.

Also, I agree with everyone that says that Twilight, although a literary abomination, is fine so long as you don't take it seriously and remember that it's aimed towards teenage girls. It's just that those teenage girls suddenly decided to latch onto it . . .

I really, really hate Twilight fangirls.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Glad I could brighten someone's day with an otherwise pointless, half-relevant post.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Twilight is like really really cheap seafood: it's mediocre, bad for you, and in some cases immediately dangerous.
    Eragon is more like a Macburger: it's mediocre and bad for you, but hey, I'll take it.
    series like LOTR and The Chronicles of Narnia are like Steak, they are delicious, excellent, and if cooked correctly (read: READ, not watched in a movie) good for you.
    Dr. Seuss is like if someone found a way to make Brussels Sprouts taste like Peanut M&Ms. Delicious, nutritous, and fun for people of all ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Twilight is like really really cheap seafood: it's mediocre, bad for you, and in some cases immediately dangerous.
    Eragon is more like a Macburger: it's mediocre and bad for you, but hey, I'll take it.
    series like LOTR and The Chronicles of Narnia are like Steak, they are delicious, excellent, and if cooked correctly (read: READ, not watched in a movie) good for you.
    Dr. Seuss is like if someone found a way to make Brussels Sprouts taste like Peanut M&Ms. Delicious, nutritous, and fun for people of all ages.
    Hey! The LOTR movie is the ham sandwich, hardly unhealthy, quite enjoyable, yet lacking the true substance of a proper steak :P

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Good metaphors, and they're all true enough. Just that the last one leaves you with a funny taste in your mouth if you are aware of the all the wartime propaganda Dr. Seuss made.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zencao View Post
    Hey! The LOTR movie is the ham sandwich, hardly unhealthy, quite enjoyable, yet lacking the true substance of a proper steak :P
    Although I am a vegetarian, I seem to remember something about ham not being made from steak...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hated Twilight, for reasons that have been extensively covered. I also hated the LotR books. Yes, Tolkein did some fantastic worldbuilding - but he kept forgetting to tell the damn story while he was showing off that world of his. And the archaic writing style is completely friggin' unnessecary...

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait... you mean Twilight isn't satire?

Oh good lord.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Alrighty then, I'm going to play Devil's advocate and say that I LIKE Twilight.

No, I've never read it...well, one page or so and I thought it was boring as all get out with even the climax written in a wooden emotionless fashion. But there are two reasons that I'm glad it was written.

1) It's getting people to read again. So what if it's tripe? It's gateway tripe! If someone reads Twilight then the door is open to all kinds of novels.

2) Hearing about how people hate the books never fails to make me laugh. So in a way it's brought me laughs.

My sister for example. She read all four books in a week and keeps bugging me to try and read them. If asked, she openly admits that they're not very good. But, to quote her, "It's hilarious!" I think that says it all.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scaly View Post
    1) It's getting people to read again. So what if it's tripe? It's gateway tripe! If someone reads Twilight then the door is open to all kinds of novels.
    The problem is that there are plenty of gateway novels that are generally agreed to be better. And that don't open the door to domestic abuse as wide as they open the door to literature.

My sister for example. She read all four books in a week and keeps bugging me to try and read them. If asked, she openly admits that they're not very good. But, to quote her, "It's hilarious!" I think that says it all.
    OK. That's a fairly healthy attitude, I think. Someone who can read them and laugh at any bits that are bad about them... that's not alarming. Someone who reads them and can't laugh at the bad bits, either because their brain seizes up with hatred or because they don't realize that something very wrong is happening in-story... that's more of a problem.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    The problem is that there are plenty of gateway novels that are generally agreed to be better. And that don't open the door to domestic abuse as wide as they open the door to literature.
    Yes, but for some reason those "better" gateway novels don't want to be read. You have to remember, those who are using Twilight as their start into novel-reading didn't like reading before. They don't think like us seasoned readers.
    They don't think "Well, this is a poorly written book with two horribly conceived main characters", they think "Aw, its vampires. And love. Yay <3"
    As for the domestic abuse, I think we don't give girls enough credit. Nearly any romance novel you pick up has atleast undertones of creepy stalking. Many girls don't connect creepy behavior in their boyfriends as okay because Edward snuck into Bella's bedroom and watched her sleep at night.
    When girls say they want an Edward, they don't really want Edward, they want the romance. Its the same as when girls used to say they wanted their prince or their hero or their knight in shining armor.
    They don't really want that, they want their "soul mate". Or they want someone as "attractive" as Robert Pattinson, or whatever his name is (obviously, I don't find him at all attractive...)
    Last edited by RabbitHoleLost; 2009-06-03 at 10:51 AM.

— Iain S. Thomas

13. - Top - End - #223
    Barbarian in the Playground

Me neither. Except that one time.

The only, ONLY time I found Edward at all attractive was when he is kissing Bella in the gazebo and it looks like it pains him. I was like "I want to love and kiss you so badly it hurts! <3"

That is all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dirky by Beans!
    Officially putting in for an extended leave of absence.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Yes, but for some reason those "better" gateway novels don't want to be read. You have to remember, those who are using Twilight as their start into novel-reading didn't like reading before. They don't think like us seasoned readers.
    They don't think "Well, this is a poorly written book with two horribly conceived main characters", they think "Aw, its vampires. And love. Yay <3"
    As for the domestic abuse, I think we don't give girls enough credit. Nearly any romance novel you pick up has atleast undertones of creepy stalking. Many girls don't connect creepy behavior in their boyfriends as okay because Edward snuck into Bella's bedroom and watched her sleep at night.
    When girls say they want an Edward, they don't really want Edward, they want the romance. Its the same as when girls used to say they wanted their prince or their hero or their knight in shining armor.
    They don't really want that, they want their "soul mate". Or they want someone as "attractive" as Robert Pattinson, or whatever his name is (obviously, I don't find him at all attractive...)
    So basically, a good way to get into reading is by choosing to read an abomination to literature?
    Actually… I guess that makes sense, if you don’t like reading books, it makes sense that you might start off by reading something awful.
    I got into reading with Darren Shan, which isn’t anything amazing but it does it’s job in a way. (apart from the Demons series- what the hell was that all about?)

EDIT: Also, didn't Rober What's-his-face say he didn't like the book or movie?

EDIT II:

The only, ONLY time I found Edward at all attractive was when he is kissing Bella in the gazebo and it looks like it pains him. I was like "I want to love and kiss you so badly it hurts! <3"

That is all.
    Speaking of which, how was the movie? As bad or worse then the book?
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-03 at 10:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post

That is all.
    I thought the actor was attractive.
    As Cedric Diggory.

@ Nameless: As I said earlier, it worked for my sister. She hated reading, omnomnom'd Twilight right up, and was on such a withdrawal once she was done, I could easily convince her to read other books of merit. Sort of. They either had to have romance or vampires, and had to be kinda modern.
    But that gives me a little leeway. Ala John Green (NERDFIGHTERS WOO)

— Iain S. Thomas

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

@ Nameless: As I said earlier, it worked for my sister. She hated reading, omnomnom'd Twilight right up, and was on such a withdrawal once she was done, I could easily convince her to read other books of merit. Sort of. They either had to have romance or vampires, and had to be kinda modern.
    But that gives me a little leeway. Ala John Green (NERDFIGHTERS WOO)
    Tell her to read "Interview with the Vampire" <333333333333333333333
    *drools*
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-03 at 11:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Tell her to read "Interview with the Vampire" <333333333333333333333
    *drools*
    Neh. I read it at her age, and I don't think she'd be so much into the ghey vampires.

— Iain S. Thomas

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Neh. I read it at her age, and I don't think she'd be so much into the ghey vampires.
    They're gay?

Actually, to be fair I haven't read it, I've only seen the movie...
    But it's a book I REALLY do want to read.

... What? It was the best Vampire film I've ever watched... and the first time I watched it was when I was 6.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Please. Even Lestat wasn't so effeminate that he sparkled. He could be downright badass at times. A fight between him and Edward Cullen would end after thirty seconds, when Cullen gets his hair mussed up and runs away in tears.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Please. Even Lestat wasn't so effeminate that he sparkled. He could be downright badass at times. A fight between him and Edward Cullen would end after thirty seconds, when Cullen gets his hair mussed up and runs away in tears.
    Hey, I was a big fan of Anne Rice when I was younger. However, my sister is your typical teenaged girl, and I don't think she'd so much like the atmosphere of the Anne Rice universe.
    It'd, like, disturb her.

— Iain S. Thomas

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

I would quote that if my sig wasn't so long.

Hey, I was a big fan of Anne Rice when I was younger. However, my sister is your typical teenaged girl, and I don't think she'd so much like the atmosphere of the Anne Rice universe.
    It'd, like, disturb her.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I book with good grammar and a thick story line can be scary to some people.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-03 at 11:33 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I know what you mean. I book with good grammar and a thick story line can be scary to some people.

Well, yeah, that and, like, you know, the undertones of homosexuality(Lestat/Louis, Louis/Armand) and pedophilia (regarding Claudia), and the direct looks into suicide, death, and human nature your typical teenaged girl can't really comprehend.

— Iain S. Thomas

23. - Top - End - #233

They're gay?

Actually, to be fair I haven't read it, I've only seen the movie...
    But it's a book I REALLY do want to read.

... What? It was the best Vampire film I've ever watched... and the first time I watched it was when I was 6.
    Not exactly, it's more along the lines of extreme Ho-Yay.

Word to the wise: the book is a bit dry, especially compared to the movie. The Vampire Lestat I thought read a bit better.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Halfling in the Playground

Speak the truth Nameless!
    Preach it out to everybody.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

No, LOTR and the Chronicles of Narnia are packaged as health food but secretly are extremely bad for you. Too much thinly veiled allegory, gender-related bigotry (Susan), paternalism, social-class snobbery and racism (Calormenes and Southrons) in the diet can lead to coronary heart diseases.

Also, the whole "It gets kids to read" only counts when they go on to read adult books afterwards.
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-03 at 11:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Oh they're not effeminate (fabulous, maybe, but not effeminate). Just really, really into each other.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yeah, that and, like, you know, the undertones of homosexuality(Lestat/Louis, Louis/Armand) and pedophilia (regarding Claudia), and the direct looks into suicide, death, and human nature your typical teenaged girl can't really comprehend.
    "AHHHH! CHARACTERS WITH REAL EMOTIONS! It burns! IT BURNS!"

Not exactly, it's more along the lines of extreme Ho-Yay.

Word to the wise: the book is a bit dry, especially compared to the movie. The Vampire Lestat I thought read a bit better.
    I'll defiantly get round to reading Ann's books once I finished the Dune trilogy, a Terry Pritchett book I'm read and the LotR trilogy. (actually I might forget about the other two books)

Speak the truth Nameless!
    Preach it out to everybody.

EDIT: Twilight + Lost Boys =
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-03 at 11:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238

And that's exactly why they should read that sort of literature, otherwise they'll never comprehend it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #239

I'll defiantly get round to reading Ann's books once I finished the Dune trilogy, a Terry Pritchett book I'm read and the LotR trilogy. (actually I might forget about the other two books)
    My advice is stop after Queen of the Damned. Quality takes a nose-dive around that point.

EDIT: Twilight + Lost Boys =
    = Kiefer Sutherland kicking the crap out of Cullen for 24 hours.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2009-06-03 at 11:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    My advice is stop after Queen of the Damned. Quality takes a nose-dive around that point.
    Speaking of nosedives, Children of Dune and beyond...

Terry Pratchett, on the other hand, just gets better as he writes more. The way that experience is supposed to work.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters: