New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    Q27 (by my counting)
    Is there a definitive answer to the argument about Summoners / Synthesists / Eidolons and the "Enlarge/Reduce" chain of spells?

As I read it:
    Eidolons can share 'self' spells as if they were not Outsiders, but Enlarge is a 'target' spell.
    Synthesists count as Outsiders, so can't be Enlarged (and, enlarging the Synthesist inside the Eidolon has very little effect).
    This is what share spells says

"Share Spells (Ex)

The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list.

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells."

The ability says you can use spells from the summoner list cast by the summoner and that if this is done it will work on the eidolon even though it is an outsider. Synthesist still have this ability.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    This is what share spells says

"Share Spells (Ex)

The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list.

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells."

The ability says you can use spells from the summoner list cast by the summoner and that if this is done it will work on the eidolon even though it is an outsider. Synthesist still have this ability.
    A27+
    Just a little added emphasis here.

This bit of text specifically allows you to cast any spell from your Summoner list on your Eidolon even if by default it's not supposed to affect outsiders, which does include Enlarge/Reduce's range of "one humanoid creature".
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-09-15 at 11:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93

Sorry for the double-post, but I do have a new question:

Q28
    I don't quite understand something about the Improved Familiar Nosoi, but also extends to other creatures with the same feature, anyway it is said to be "immune to death effects", but exactly what does that mean? Does it mean that it can't be killed? If someone depletes its HP all you gotta do is Cure it back? What if its body is destroyed such as being the victim of a Disintegrate?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

A28

My understanding of death effects are that if the spell is save or die it doesnot affect them. Dealing enough hp damage should still kill them.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Sorry for the double-post, but I do have a new question:

Q28
    I don't quite understand something about the Improved Familiar Nosoi, but also extends to other creatures with the same feature, anyway it is said to be "immune to death effects", but exactly what does that mean? Does it mean that it can't be killed? If someone depletes its HP all you gotta do is Cure it back? What if its body is destroyed such as being the victim of a Disintegrate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    A28

My understanding of death effects are that if the spell is save or die it doesnot affect them. Dealing enough hp damage should still kill them.
    A28.

Stone Heart has the right idea, but is a bit off. It means that any spell with the [Death] descriptor will not work on a creature with immunity to death effects. In addition, various other abilities explicitly mention if they are a death effects or not. There are some save-or-dies that actually work with enemies with that immunity, and there are some death effects that aren't save-or-die that the Nosoi would be immune to.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-09-16 at 06:35 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    A23 Explained: No such RAW exist that state explicitly that you get a diminished mount or animal companion. Rather your mount and animal companion level as you level and is based on your character's total hit dice not the total number of levels you have in either class.
    Why does this feat exist then?

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions
    Class Level: The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s statistics.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q29

When a special ability says, "You must be 11th level to select this revelation." like in the Blizzard Oracle Revalation, does it mean 11th class level or 11th character level? I cannot find any where that it specifies, and the FAQ is not clear.

Blizzard (Su): As a standard action, you can create a blizzard of snow and ice. You can create one 10-foot-cube of storm per oracle level. These cubes can be arranged in any pattern you desire, but each cube must be adjacent to another and one must be adjacent to you. Any creature caught in the blizzard takes 1d4 points of cold damage per oracle level, with a Reflex save resulting in half damage. The storm lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier; the ground remains icy (+5 to Acrobatics DCs) as long as local conditions permit. The blizzard obscures sight beyond 5 feet, providing total concealment. A creature within 5 feet has concealment. You can use this ability once per day. You must be 11th level to select this revelation.
    Last edited by Lincoln; 2011-09-19 at 09:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Q27 addendum

Enlarge person does not have a 'target: you' entry.
    It has a 'target: one humanoid' entry.
    Hense my confusion.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

A29: Since it's a class feature, I think there's a really high chance that it is supposed to be class level, as class features usually don't improve when taking levels in other classes, except for a few cases in which it is explicitly stated.

However as written, the rules are unclear and could mean both options,
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #100

A29 Supplemental. An oracle's revelations are gained based on class level. The text and table both support this.

"Revelation: At 1st level, 3rd level, and every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and so on), an oracle uncovers a new secret about her mystery that grants her powers and abilities."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Q30: In the rake rules, it states: "A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake". Pounce states: "When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability)." Can someone clarify this? (The rules in question are below)

Rake
    A creature with this special attack gains extra natural attacks under certain conditions, typically when it grapples its foe. In addition to the options available to all grapplers, a monster with the rake ability gains two free claw attacks that it can use only against a grappled foe. The bonus and damage caused by these attacks is included in the creature’s description. A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake—it can’t begin a grapple and rake in the same turn.
    Pounce
    When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Q31:
    Inappropriately Sized Firearms: You cannot make optimum use of a firearm that is not properly sized for you. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between your size and the size of the firearm. If you are not proficient with the firearm, a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies. The size of a firearm never affects how many hands you need to use to shoot it, the exception being siege firearms and Large or larger creatures. In most cases, a Large or larger creature can use a siege firearm as a two-handed firearm, but the creature takes a –4 penalty for using it this way because of its awkwardness.
    How exactly does this work? Can a large creature only carry a cannon around like a two-handed weapon, or can he shoot it like a nomal two-handed gun? if so, can he use feats that normally only affect two-handed guns?

Q32: Is their any way to load a siege weapon faster? Does counting as four crewmembers for being large allow you to load and aim as if you were 4 guys?
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2011-09-20 at 07:39 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    Q30: In the rake rules, it states: "A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake". Pounce states: "When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability)." Can someone clarify this? (The rules in question are below)

Rake

Pounce
    A30

Generally speaking, if you have Rake you have to begin your turn grappling to get those extra attacks. However, if you have pounce, you can also make those extra attacks at the end of a charge, even though you aren't grappling.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Q31:

How exactly does this work? Can a large creature only carry a cannon around like a two-handed weapon, or can he shoot it like a nomal two-handed gun? if so, can he use feats that normally only affect two-handed guns?
    There's some debate there. It seems he can use it in all ways like a two-handed firearm except for loading. Maybe.

Q32: Is their any way to load a siege weapon faster? Does counting as four crewmembers for being large allow you to load and aim as if you were 4 guys?
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat...ngineer-combat
    An lv11 gunslinger can make use of Lightning Reload on siege firearms, and the musket master archetype might also help.
    As for the second part, yes but this doesn't affect the number of actions needed to aim/reload.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-09-20 at 09:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A27c Enlarge does specify a humanoid. This would not work then with a non-synthesist summoner and his eidolon, as an eidolon is not a humanoid, even the bi-pedal form. TBH I'm not sure if this has any bearing on synthesist shenanigans, though.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q33:
    Death from Above, does the bonus apply when making any attack while flying, or only when charging (either from high ground or doing a flying charge).
    Q34:
    The Witch's Prehensile hair hex grants them a "Secondary natural attack", but the rules for natural attacks say that, if a creature has only one natural attack it is always primary. So, if a Witch with no natural attacks takes Prehensile Hair, is the attack primary (as per the natural attack rules) or secondary (as per the hex description, which could be interpreted to say "if the witch has natural attacks, the hair is a secondary attack).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A33
    Death from Above (Combat)
    Benefit: Whenever you charge an opponent from higher ground, or from above while flying, you gain a +5 bonus on attack rolls in place of the bonuses from charging and being on higher ground.
    Emphasis added. It seems to specify that the flying attack must be a charge.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
    A27c Enlarge does specify a humanoid. This would not work then with a non-synthesist summoner and his eidolon, as an eidolon is not a humanoid, even the bi-pedal form. TBH I'm not sure if this has any bearing on synthesist shenanigans, though.
    A27 Disagreement
    Check the following text, specifically the bolded part:

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    Share Spells (Ex)

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells.
    As far as I know, there is no spell with a range of "you" or "personal" that also specify that you need to be of a specific race or type, as such, the text can be read as giving you two abilities when casting from the Summoner spell list: 1. You can cast spells with a range of "personal" on your Eidolon, such as Shield or Alter Self; AND 2. You can cast spells that target any type of creature on your Eidolon as if it qualified for it despite being an outsider, such as Enlarge/Reduce Person.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Q34:
    The Witch's Prehensile hair hex grants them a "Secondary natural attack", but the rules for natural attacks say that, if a creature has only one natural attack it is always primary. So, if a Witch with no natural attacks takes Prehensile Hair, is the attack primary (as per the natural attack rules) or secondary (as per the hex description, which could be interpreted to say "if the witch has natural attacks, the hair is a secondary attack).
    A34
    As per my understanding, it would be primary as long as you don't make a weapon attack or use another type of natural attack that is specifically primary in the same round. This is how I understand the rules for natural attacks:

If you have only a single type of natural attack and makes no use of a weapon, regardless of what the text says, it's always considered a primary attack.

If you have more than one type of natural attack, such as two Claws and a Bite (which is quite easy to get) and both types are said to be primary (or it's omitted and as such defaulted to primary), then both will always count as primary even when you make a full attack and makes use of both types on the same round.

If however one of these is specifically a secondary attack, it would count as secondary whenever you made a full attack that uses another attack that is a primary attack, in the above example, if the Bite is said to be secondary, whenever you use only the Bite, it's primary, but if you use both the Claws and the Bite, the Claws are primary and the Bite secondary.

If weapons are also used, then all natural attacks regardless of text are considered secondary.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Q35
    I already made a thread for this that has, among other things, this set of questions:
    One is about the Discovery "Feral Mutagen". It says that I gain two claw attacks and a bite attack as primary attacks.

Question part
    A) Do I do two attacks with me claws and a bite attack every time I do an "attack" action (standard), or do I have to do a full round action?

B) Do I get these all at my max base attack bonus?

C) Finally, when I get to BaB +6 and would normally gain another attck, do I get an extra claw attack during a full attack action?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Flob; 2011-09-21 at 04:10 PM.
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

A 35

Quote Originally Posted by Flob View Post
    Q35
    I already made a thread for this that has, among other things, this set of questions:
    One is about the Discovery "Feral Mutagen". It says that I gain two claw attacks and a bite attack as primary attacks.

Question part
    A) Do I do two attacks with me claws and a bite attack every time I do an "attack" action (standard), or do I have to do a full round action?
    Full attack action, which is a type of full round action.

B) Do I get these all at my max base attack bonus?
    Yes.

C) Finally, when I get to BaB +6 and would normally gain another attck, do I get an extra claw attack during a full attack action?
    No, natural attack sequences are unaffected by high BAB.

Thanks.
    You're welcome. :)
    Last edited by Zherog; 2011-09-21 at 04:21 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    A27 Disagreement
    Check the following text, specifically the bolded part:

As far as I know, there is no spell with a range of "you" or "personal" that also specify that you need to be of a specific race or type, as such, the text can be read as giving you two abilities when casting from the Summoner spell list: 1. You can cast spells with a range of "personal" on your Eidolon, such as Shield or Alter Self; AND 2. You can cast spells that target any type of creature on your Eidolon as if it qualified for it despite being an outsider, such as Enlarge/Reduce Person.

Indeed in addition since the synthesist still has the share spells ability that means enlarge person works with them too.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 35

Full attack action, which is a type of full round action.

Follow up question (Q35.1?)

What attacks can I use during a standard action attack?
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flob View Post
    Follow up question (Q35.1?)

What attacks can I use during a standard action attack?
    One claw or one bite.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 35
    Yes. (In regards to natural attacks being at full BAB)
    Isn't only the first at your full BAB? I thought after that they had a minus, I believe -5.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    Isn't only the first at your full BAB? I thought after that they had a minus, I believe -5.
    You can have more than one primary natural attack in PF.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Keneth is correct. But even in 3.5, if you had 2 claws as your primary and a bite as your secondary, both claw attacks were made at full BAB and the bite was at BAB-5. Pathfinder just made critters a bit more deadly by making more attacks (such as bites) primary.
    John Ling

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q36
    I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but if I am making a character and we are using archetypes, I can use more than one of the archetypes, as long as they don't overlap in ability replacement, right? Like I can be a Mysterious Stranger and a Pistolero (Gunslinger archetypes) at the same time because none of the change overlap?

28. - Top - End - #118

A36
    Correct. From the PRD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature. For example, a paladin could not be both a hospitaler and an undead scourge since they both modify the smite evil class feature and both replace the aura of justice class feature. A paladin could, however, be both an undead scourge and a warrior of the holy light, since none of their new class features replace the same core class feature."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    A36
    Correct. From the PRD:
    *snip*
    Alright, I also just wanted to make sure that my given example works? Because the Mysterious stranger loses gun training in favor of "Strangers Fortune." The Pistolero has "Pistol training" but as written pistol training does not replace "Gun Training." So by RAW this matchup works?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

I would imagine so. I mean, what kind of mysterious stranger uses a musket?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"