New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    Q36
    I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but if I am making a character and we are using archetypes, I can use more than one of the archetypes, as long as they don't overlap in ability replacement, right? Like I can be a Mysterious Stranger and a Pistolero (Gunslinger archetypes) at the same time because none of the change overlap?
    Actually you can use archetypes even if they do overlap, benefits to the same ability do not stack. So if archetype one grants a +5 to perception and archetype two also adds a +5, you only get a +5.

Or at least this is how I understand it from reading the book. "Archetypes are a quick and easy way to specialize characters
    of a given class, adding fun and flavorful new abilities
    to already established adventurers. The class archetypes
    and corresponding new abilities mentioned below are all
    included in this chapter, and characters may take more
    than one archetype as long as they meet the requirements." Ultimate Combat page 22.

The problem is when the archetypes change the same thing or rely on the same swap off of special abilities.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    Alright, I also just wanted to make sure that my given example works? Because the Mysterious stranger loses gun training in favor of "Strangers Fortune." The Pistolero has "Pistol training" but as written pistol training does not replace "Gun Training." So by RAW this matchup works?
    Since Pistol Training does not state that "this ability replaces gun training", by RAW, the matchup works.

3. - Top - End - #123

Q37
    Exactly how much is the range increment of splash weapons? Based on the example picture and the fact that they're a different enough beast, it seems to be more than Thrown Weapons' 10ft range, but I can't find an actual answer to it.

4. - Top - End - #124

A 37. The range for each is listed under Special Substances and Items.

5. - Top - End - #125

Planetar

Q 38 Does a Synthesist Summoner (UM) use his base saves or those of the Eidolon when fused with it?
    Last edited by Arutema; 2011-09-24 at 02:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Q 38 Does a Synthesist Summoner (UM) use his base saves or those of the Eidolon when fused with it?
    A. 38 The synthesist section does not mention saves but it does mention things like BAB. Since it lacks saves but is specific in other areas I would have to say that saves are unaffected (except by the changed physical stats of course).

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 39.

Can a Summoner's Eidolon take the feat 'Improved Natural Attack' multiple times, and have its effects stack on the same natural attack? I couldn't find any ruling on this in the Bestiary.

Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by von Tortrix View Post
    Q 39.

Can a Summoner's Eidolon take the feat 'Improved Natural Attack' multiple times, and have its effects stack on the same natural attack? I couldn't find any ruling on this in the Bestiary.

Thanks!
    A 39

There is no typed limit as to the number of times the feat can be taken, so by RAW it should stack.

I'll note here however that DMs might not like this and the 3.5 version of the feat didn't stack. Be on the look out for errata of this feat in the future.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by von Tortrix View Post
    Q 39.

Thanks!
    No.

Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different natural attack.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monste...natural-attack

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 40

With the reach evolution for an Eidolon, does it apply to one or all of a Eidolon's natural attacks of the same type.

Ex: evolutions:(bite, tentacle, tentacle, reach(tentacle))
    Would only one tentacle have reach? or both?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q 41

So I have a few questions about the alchemist class.

a. An alchemist can write formulae into his formula book by copying it from a wizard's spellbook. Is there a way to learn a formula from a divine spellcaster? The spell blood transcription seems to state that you can write into your formula/spellbook any spell you "know." So, can an alchemist learn the cure light wounds formula, for example, from a cleric who is willing to teach it? Assuming I also pay the time and ink price, of course.

b. Do the alchemist abilities swift alchemy and instant alchemy apply to crafting poisons, since they are made with the craft (alchemy) skill?

c. Can an alchemist who made the vestigial arm discovery twice dual-wield two-handed weapons?

d. The vestigial arm discovery states that the arm "cannot be concealed except with magic or bulky clothing." What counts as bulky clothing? Can the arm be used to hold and drink a potion while still staying hidden? If not, could the stealth or sleight of hand (or arm) skills help conceal an arm being used in combat? I know an exact RAW answer may not be available, but I'd still appreciate some input.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

A 41

a. Generally speaking, you're only able to transcribe spells from a wizard's spellbook, but the wording on Blood Transcription is a bit iffy. It says "using the normal rules for copying a spell from another source." The normal rules are that the source has to be a wizard's spellbook specifically. However, I could see this being interpreted simply as you must follow the general copying rules... so you might want to talk to a GM about that, because I'm no help at all here

b. Yes.

c. I believe so, incurring standard penalties.

d. There is no RAW ruling on that, but it is a bit ridiculous to think that an alchemist could drink something from a hidden hand without his head being concealed as well. It's probably intended that a bonus arm can't remain hidden and perform obvious actions like attacking or drinking a potion.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by bugburr View Post
    Q 41c. Can an alchemist who made the vestigial arm discovery twice dual-wield two-handed weapons?
    I'll go ahead and steal your question for a bit:

Q41e
    If an Alchemist who has a Vestigial Arm holds a shield with his extra arm, does he still get the penalties if he has no proficiency with it? Does he get thrown off-balance despite not actually using it during the fight? If he doesn't, what happens to his AC?

Q41f
    Now let's say that the Alchemist in question does have proficiency, can he now use both a shield and a 2-handed weapon at no penalty? What about the Str/Power Attack bonuses? Do they still count as using 2 hands?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

A41e

If you weild a shield without proficiency, you take the proper penalties regardless of how many hands you have. I don't know what you mean by "does not use it during the fight." If you mean the alchemist carries it, but does not wield it, then the shield does not grant any AC bonus. However, that does not mean you can have a shield in an arm and decide each turn whether it counts as being wielded or not.

A41f

The two-handed weapon counts as a two-handed weapon, even if wielded with a shield. So yes, you get the better PA returns, and 1.5 times strength to damage.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q42

If I'm casting "Blindness/ Deafness" mith the Still Spell Metamagic Feat. Am I provoking attacks of opportunity by a nearby fighter? (He can't see me doing anything...)
    Edit: Oh - and I might need a source for this.
    Last edited by Addi; 2011-09-26 at 02:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

A 42

Blindness/deafness has only a verbal component, so I suspect you meant to ask about using Silent Spell rather than Still Spell.

And the answer is yes. Casting a 1-standard action spell is listed in the Combat section as provoking an attack of opportunity, and nothing in the rules for the Silent Spell feat changes that.

Explanation which includes a bit of extrapolation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The act of casting the spell still requires you to spend a standard action, even if you don't need to speak. And during that standard action your attention isn't completely focused on what's around you. Because you're focused on casting your spell, you drop your guard ever so slightly, allowing the fighter to whack you upside the head.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Addition to Q 42

Sorry, I got confused. "Still" is a german word for "silent".
    Thank you for the answer. That means he gets an AoO even when I'm invisible? Or is there a rule against this .....?

Edit: I got it.
    Last edited by Addi; 2011-09-26 at 02:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q43

What about Counterspells? Is it possible to counter (or identify) a spell without verbal or somatic components? (How does the caster know that I'm trying to cast a spell?)

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Noblesse View Post
    Q 40

With the reach evolution for an Eidolon, does it apply to one or all of a Eidolon's natural attacks of the same type.

Ex: evolutions:(bite, tentacle, tentacle, reach(tentacle))
    Would only one tentacle have reach? or both?
    A. 40. The evolution applies to a single attack.

"Reach (Ex): One of an eidolon's attacks is capable of striking at foes at a distance. Pick one attack. The eidolon's reach with that attack increases by 5 feet."

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Addi View Post
    Q43

What about Counterspells? Is it possible to counter (or identify) a spell without verbal or somatic components? (How does the caster know that I'm trying to cast a spell?)
    A 43. Yes. A spell that lacks verbal and somatic components may still have material components or foci that need to be manipulated.

Spoiler
    Show
    To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, you must concentrate to cast a spell.

21. - Top - End - #141

Q 44:
    Can a Cleric take both the Crusader archtype and the Holy Warrior ACF? Holy Warrior says a character gives up both domain slots for full BAB + a d10 hit dice, while Crusader gives a cleric one less domain and fewer spells per day. In other words, they would be 'losing' three domains, even though they only ever had two. I'm not sure if it would be legal or not since the character isn't really trading domains in for something else, they just lose access to them.
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2011-09-27 at 02:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    A 43. Yes. A spell that lacks verbal and somatic components may still have material components or foci that need to be manipulated.

Spoiler
    Show
    To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, you must concentrate to cast a spell.
    Q43+
    For the mandatory follow-up: What if the caster metamagics Silent and/or Still as applicable and he has Eschew Materials? Can someone still notice he's casting at all? I get that everyone can notice him focusing on something (maybe it's stomachache?), but casting specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Q 44:
    Can a Cleric take both the Crusader archtype and the Holy Warrior ACF? Holy Warrior says a character gives up both domain slots for full BAB + a d10 hit dice, while Crusader gives a cleric one less domain and fewer spells per day. In other words, they would be 'losing' three domains, even though they only ever had two. I'm not sure if it would be legal or not since the character isn't really trading domains in for something else, they just lose access to them.
    Straight RAW, I don't think it's possible, unlike Flat-Footed or other such texts, it's not written "the Cleric loses access to one of his domains (if any)".

But it's nothing that crazy, so personally I'd allow.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

A 43

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    Counterspells

It is possible to cast any spell as a counterspell. By doing so, you are using the spell's energy to disrupt the casting of the same spell by another character. Counterspelling works even if one spell is divine and the other arcane.

How Counterspells Work: To use a counterspell, you must select an opponent as the target of the counterspell. You do this by choosing to ready an action. In doing so, you elect to wait to complete your action until your opponent tries to cast a spell. You may still move at your normal speed, since ready is a standard action.

If the target of your counterspell tries to cast a spell, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell's level). This check is a free action. If the check succeeds, you correctly identify the opponent's spell and can attempt to counter it. If the check fails, you can't do either of these things.

To complete the action, you must then cast an appropriate spell. As a general rule, a spell can only counter itself. If you are able to cast the same spell and you have it prepared (or have a slot of the appropriate level available), you cast it, creating a counterspell effect. If the target is within range, both spells automatically negate each other with no other results.

Counterspelling Metamagic Spells: Metamagic feats are not taken into account when determining whether a spell can be countered.

Specific Exceptions: Some spells can counter other specific spells, often those with diametrically opposed effects.

Dispel Magic as a Counterspell: You can usually use dispel magic to counterspell another spell being cast without needing to identify the spell being cast. Dispel magic doesn't always work as a counterspell (see the spell description).
    Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    Spellcraft

Action: Identifying a spell as it is being cast requires no action, but you must be able to clearly see the spell as it is being cast, and this incurs the same penalties as a Perception skill check due to distance, poor conditions, and other factors.

Identify a spell as it is being cast 15 + spell level
    The first quote gives the general rules for counterspelling. There is, oddly, no requirement that you be a be able to see and/or hear the caster. In fact, as written in that section, I could choose to counterspell the king's personal healer, even if I'm half a world away.

The Spellcraft skill, however, does give a bit more detail. It lays out that you have to see the spell being cast, which rules out the half-a-world-away counterspell. So what's it mean? Well, it doesn't say you have to see the somatic components or the material components or the focus. It just says you have to be able to see the caster as he/she/it casts the spell. Do that and you get a Spellcraft check with a DC of 15 plus the spell level. If you're successful at that check, you know what spell is being cast. If you had taken a ready action to counter, you could then attempt to counter the caster - despite his having used Still and Silent and not needing any components.

At least, that's how I read it.

Speculation/non-RAW stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You could opt to explain this in your game by having the Spellcraft check read the ambient magical energy around the caster rather than the actual act of casting. A successful check allows you to read the "aura" building around the caster before the spell's energy coalesces into the spell effect. In this way, it's not the gestures and words and pieces of bat poop that matter when identifying the spell, and it gives a nice reason as to why a Silent Still fireball cast by a wizard with Eschew Materials can still be identified.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    A. 40. The evolution applies to a single attack.

"Reach (Ex): One of an eidolon's attacks is capable of striking at foes at a distance. Pick one attack. The eidolon's reach with that attack increases by 5 feet."

The question then is “claws” a attack or two attacks? Since the term ‘attack” applies to both plural of the same type and singular, simply quoting the RAW does not answer the question.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 45

Do you apply your Strength bonus, your Dexterity bonus, or neither to your to-hit and/or damage with a Soulknife/Pyrokineticist's flame lash?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Q 45

Do you apply your Strength bonus, your Dexterity bonus, or neither to your to-hit and/or damage with a Soulknife/Pyrokineticist's flame lash?
    This is not a Pathfinder question. You're probably looking for the 3.5 thread.

A 40

My understanding of it would be that if you pick "claw" it would apply to any attack made with that weapon, even if you got more than one per round.
    John Ling

27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Q 45

A 45
    I believe he was referring to DSP's Pathfinder Psionics. Here is the relevant quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move-equivalent action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The lash deals 1d8 points of fire damage to a target within 15 feet on a successful ranged touch attack. A pyrokineticist can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if she otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the fire lash, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip. The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it and is treated for mechanical purposes as a whip.

If the character has the ability to fashion a mind blade and has the Altered Blade blade skill, her fire lash may be treated as her mind blade for mechanical purposes such as enhanced mind blade and other class abilities. All damage dealt by the mind blade in this form, including psychic strike damage and bonus damage from weapon abilities, is fire damage, and the pyrokineticist may not use the fire lash to perform disarm or trip attempts unless she has selected the appropriate Weapon Special blade skill.

It is clear that the Fire Lash described above would apply dexterity to attack as a ranged touch attack, and I don't believe you would apply either to your damage normally. In the case of a soulknife, I believe it would be the same as there is no special statement for anything but class features, so it would function the same apart from extra damage added from enhancements and abilities such as psychic strike.

Short version: I think you would still add dexterity to attack as it is still a ranged touch attack and add neither to your damage.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
    The question then is “claws” a attack or two attacks? Since the term ‘attack” applies to both plural of the same type and singular, simply quoting the RAW does not answer the question.
    "Claws" can refer to the type of evolution ("Claws (ex)") or the number of attacks (such as "two claw attacks"). With regard to evolutions, instances of the singular word "attack" being used to indicate a plural occur in phrases like "select one type of natural attack". This can be seen in both the Push and Pull evolution descriptions. As the Reach evolution doesn't state to "select one type of attack", I have to accept "pick one attack" as meaning just that: pick one attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 40

My understanding of it would be that if you pick "claw" it would apply to any attack made with that weapon, even if you got more than one per round.
    The problem with this interpretation is that you open the floodgates. Why limit yourself to "claw" when "primary" or even "melee" would be better options.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Because the evolution is called ‘claws” and that attack comes only in pairs. Besides, it is rather silly to think that on a critter one leg is twice as long as the other.

30. - Top - End - #150

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
    Because the evolution is called ‘claws” and that attack comes only in pairs. Besides, it is rather silly to think that on a critter one leg is twice as long as the other.
    hm... every hear of a crab or lobster? tasty, and have disproportionately larger claws/pincers on one side.