New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Also, looking at this, it all makes sense now. (Warning, quite large)
    Spoiler
    Show

And I said slaves, slaves slaves yeah...
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-17 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Too many Pinkies
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... meh.

It's not really bad, but it feels... bland, i guess? I had a few good chuckles (including imagining that Rainbow just thought "well it IS Pinkie Pie" when she saw the first duplicate with the real one) but it's not really good.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Still doesn't quite help sending Twilight and her five young friends... but its one of the places the show really shouldn't be analyzed too deeply.
    Huh? What's so unanalyzable about a powerful ruler sending her trusted and reliable pupil on a diplomatic mission too dangerous for a pony you don't trust, but easily within the realm of a simple chat by a determined mare?

Honestly, all this "OMC DRAGONS YOU GAIZ THEY ARE POWERFUL" misses the point of the fairytale setting. The dragon was a child. A huge, naive, thoughtless, selfish, but ultimately honest child. And if you tell a child to stop because something is bad, they generally go along with it.

That kinda how most dragons come across in the series. An those who are smart (ie Spike) are moral, so that's not a difference really.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Ah, that's what I thought... but clearly, that isn't really Spike.
    Twilight was... lonely... so... she used magic... and made a new Spike.

Yes.*

Let's be fair, Twilight has done worse with less justification.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    So, which one's the changeling disguised as Spike?
    Borris. Naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Look! Teenaged Chrysalis! (large image)
    Spoiler
    Show
    HUZZAH! More character portraits!

This pleases your Winter Queen!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Guys, I think I just discovered a new shipping acronym.

Spinkie. That is all.

*Hides*
    ... That just sounds vaguely dirty.

So a pic of Pinkie about to have some face time with her mother.*

Spoiler
    Show

(you can run but that won't help...)
    Woul you believe I had been thinking about this just recently?

P-A-R-T-why? Well why not silly, I mean everypony loves a party! And that's what I spelled, party! Because it's funny when you play with words, like that one time, with applejack, and the kumquats? I loooove saying kumquat!
    Oh, here we go... 9_9

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    Hmm, would that be pronounced "Spy" or "Spee"?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Is it just me, or is Pinkie putting on a little flab in the...plot, in that picture?
    It's actually the leg structure. Her flesh is depicted as catlike, instead of the usual human standard. Rather than folding around the leg like a skintight pair of trousers, catflesh is loose and the bones and meat move within it like a skirt, or parachute pants.

Pinkie is channelling M.C. Hammare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I saved the pic, if I remember at all. It didn't have the tumblry question at the top though, so I wasn't sure if it was intended as an answer or just a drawing.*

But, yeah. People stopped answering questions so people stopped asking questions. I think.
    Right. Depending on stuff I may fix this. I keep trying to, but drawing doesn't get past the "man this would be great" phase. I start drawing and just... Bored now. Doesn't care.

... Crap. Dropped a few, and ain't goin' back a fifth time...

Who am I kidding I'm totally going back a fifth time

Guess what just popped up on Ars Technica? Sure, technically it's an article about Apple's configurator 1.2, but really, it's about how to troll your own children properly as a brony.
    Oh wow, that's actually pretty cool. And potentially useful information, seeing as it can convert certain devices into POS stations.

Random Rarity picture.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh wow, Rarity drawing herself is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Octoberfest!
    Human MLP cast serving beer and... huge tracts of land:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bolded: so like every Scots fair ever, then?

Love the picture. Highlights are AppleDash, Spike trying to impress Rarity, and and Twilight being in the back checking for discrepancies in stock weight and being just high enough on beer fumes to forge about expansion, throwing off her liters per centimeter scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    My take on that would've involved a recreation/reenaction of the "world of cardboard" speech from the finale of JLU. Except the only things that'd change from the original in general would be the timing/order of events.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celestia's loss of the beam-o-war wouldn't end the fight, instead causing guards to swarm in, aided by the main six, whom Chrysalis repeatedly, and seemingly effortlessly, wipes the floor with. In the commotion Cadance attempts to free Shining, meeting the same level of success - he comes to, but is unable to reinforce the shield again. Chrysalis gloats as the changeling horde breaks the shield down, but is assaulted once again by Twilight, beating her back once again with little trouble. The changelings begin to overrun the city, and Chrysalis starts monologuing to Twilight on the futility of the latter's efforts, when someone suddenly politely interrupts her. Turning around, the changeling queen meets a solar blast which throws her back into the far wall, but she remains standing. Cue Celestia, radiant as the Sun, advancing on Chrysalis as her guards and subjects look in awe, and reciting a monologue of her own, of how she is forced to restrict her powers for fear of being overtaken by them and inadvertently harming the people she protects. Another beam-o-war ensues, one that Chrysalis almost loses, jumping out of the way at the final moment. As Celestia is about to finish the fight, Chrysalis suddenly transforms into.. Luna! Being given free reign of Canterlot allowed her to copy the look and mannerisms of the night princess well enough that the sight of her on the ground, beaten and shielding herself against her sister causes Celestia to hesitate. Chrysalis uses the opening and blasts Celestia again, this time in a continuous unrelenting attack. Exhausted and unable to help, Twilight calls out to Shining, again urging him to perform the spell, and Cadance steps up as well, offering her power to supplement his. We more or less know how it ends from there.

That said, I would probably not rewrite anything, even if I were given the power. Compared to what is already there, anything I would write up would be of inferior quality. Yes, even for the things like Mare Do Well, Over a Barrel, or Feeling Pinkie Keen.
    Interesting. I'd like to see it as a comic, but with better over-all polish. I dislike the thought of Celestia winning and giving a speech about her awesome powers solely because the fans think she should win with awesome powers. That's not what you presented, but it is a danger of the premise.

As far as ponythread weapons/entities go, I suppose one does not get more powerful than the ability to manipulate/move/destroy/create whole branches of the Multiverse at once, but since I never actually use any of those things openly, you may as well keep me off the list. I mean, what's the point of powers being listed if they're never being used? (I suppose by that logic we should put the OFC fleet up front. It doesn't matter if they're not the most powerful thing we got here, because they're getting used often enough to make up for it. :P)
    Several of us have multiversal control at that level, actually. It's just a pretty boring power. Well, as wanting to use power for the sake of drama goes. It's terribly effective, but brings along existential quandaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um, I just had three problems with it - first, I don't see Twilight letting Princess get so colloquial/rude letter (one fan even wrote comic about it, and it was hilarious). Second, this part - If you take your time to do things the right way, your work will speak for itself - nope, brothers did legitimately better work (at least before being conned into accepting uneven terms), and AJ rushed her work exploiting unpaid help from her friends. Third - I knew that already (about her friends helping her no matter what) - would have been nice if someone called AJ about not leaving some cider for her friends (including RD for years) and about openly profiting from them (I wouldn't mind cost/labor, but making big profit off friends is just wrong).

Also, it lacked conclusion - if brothers show up with better machine, simply use already picked apples, or somepony not trying to play fair gets machine, AJ loses, hard, unless she will extort even more unpaid labor somehow. You can't win with mechanization in farming, that's why I preferred fair deal ending.
    Yeah, actually. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Also, with regard to your previous aspersions that my tastes being akin to cheap fanfic... Pot, meet kettle...
    *snerk*

Putting aside that the difference between magic and psionics is generally a completely arbitrary one....

<3 *hugs*

Its my own headcanon that Celestia laughed just as hard as we did.
    I actually flinched. It was tacky, and unbecoming of AJ, who is supposed to be the upside of the vulgar country hick, not the usual stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by SynissterSyster View Post
    I need some quick help friends. *For 3.5 how would I create any character in MLP? *Like how would I do the races as classes can be done fairly easily. *Thanks.
    I posted info recently, but it may have gotten lost. Want it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    season 3 inconsistency
    Spoiler
    Show

Crystal Ponies gone for 1000 years... speech pattern normal.

Luna gone 1000 years... Royal Canterlot speech pattern?

also... pony appears to like to disappear for 1000 years at a time.
    Again though, regular people didn't use thee and thou. They said "you", because there was no one they could safely talk down to.

Disclaimer; Never let your OC's Produce/Direct/Write their own productions.*

Well then, Ponythread. I, Bleakmane, have branched out into new fields of excellence!*

Behold, the dual purpose wonder that is "A Fire Pony's Tale".*
    Part heart-warming picture-book for foals, part historical ponythread-document.

[Long Image Inside.]
    Spoiler
    Show

I think you'll agree, it is quite something.
    Bleakmane, Ma'am? I think that might just be the worst story I've had the misfortune to read.
    You are no fun at all, Joyreaper. It is a wonderful foal's story, with a cuttingly post-modern moral and all based on true events!
    It's just awful, ma'am, truly awful.
    But it's so understated! And witty! And with subtle references!
    You mean the "water ponies" thing, don't you.
    It's clever because Ponies who aren't made of fire are mostly made of water. Delicious red water.
    You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Oh, shush. Ponythread appreciates my brilliance, don't you Ponythread?
    Oh my gosh I love it~!

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I'd be careful if I were you. You've no idea where it's been. Plus, you're leaving germs for everyone else to get, and then there's going to be an outbreak, and we'll all end up as Infected.
    Uh, we know exactly where it's been. Right here. For like, maybe a few hours at most by the point he posted. Fresh from birth.

Don't you help lick the placenta from struggling newborns? I thought that was universal. Or is that a changelingPerfectly Average, Regular Pony thing?

Does that mean the average internate hater / youtube troll is less mature than humanity in the 1400s? Or did I not understand and make a bit of a jump?
    Do you honestly need to ask this question?

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post

I have no reason to post that; I just wanted to.
    Loved that part.

If you don't mind me so saying, the only things I saw the ponies trading in show were mainly food ad potions... I don't see the "unique and powerful items" thing.
    Read your own post again, sugarcube~.

Plus, talking horses. Even if they didn't look MLP Style, we hardly accepted each other with different color skin; ponies not only have different color skin, but are also horses.
    Oh, no. They accepted each other with different skin no problem. Theta ccwpted that some humanoids were basically animals. Animals resembling humanoids would fit easily into that scale.

Besides, the difference between a human and a talking pony is substantial enough to cause one to discount prior paradigms for judgement.*

Mister Ed gets incredulous looks because he's a lone case. A species of true-breeding talking horses would be another matter entirely.

Totally not pony related, but I just wanted to gawp, as Obsidian's kickstarter for Project Eternity (i.e. a new BG/Torment-style isometric party RPG) just concluded, a hair short of $4 million dollars ($3.986 million). Particularly impressive since the last million dollars or so came in the last four days, half of that in the last day! I have - for once - very high hopes for Eternity.
    There you go, taking the long view again. eternity, heh.

More seriously though I have high hopes for this.

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    So, what is your reaction to the old cartoons, including Dexter's Laboratory, that parodied My Little Pony before Lauren Faust's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, in Dexter's defense, Ponies are trying to boil Dee Dee (who was mistaken as GI Joe member) in oatmeal.

But how will Action Hank goes against Mane Cast?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, the Mane cast are 20% more badass (+partycannon and Twilight gun).
    I told you ponies were metal son. I tried to warn you dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Humans would lose a war against ponies really really badly back then. Weather control and shielding spells = win. Actually just weather control. We would struggle to counter that with modern tech, back then we wouldn't have a chance. Unicorn magic is just adding insult to injury.*
    Yeah, totally. I always imagine the most vulgar application of unicorn military might being like, five tabarded war-coursers hefting a half dozen spears each, and raining them down like artillery fire.

This means that the prime limiting factor of the enemy army is calorific intake.

Food. For horses. Who can like, eat grass.

You're not winning that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Quoted for save.

He is awesome, though if he hadn't had Q as a voice actor, he might not have been paid so much attention.

EDIT: *Looks like Rarity buys her milk at McDonalds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that is just darling~!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    I disagree, I had barely heard of Q before watching Discord but still loved him
    Discord was a very agreeable chap. DeLancie has some charisma on him, I tell you what.

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Is this an actual opinion, or is this another case of Ino comparing things to evil without knowing what he's talking about?.
    Nah, real, murderous equines.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If ponies came in peace, we wouldn't, and we'd enslave them to learn how they do their magic and fly.
    I fail to see how people who are still new to "earth goes around sun" would be able to beat a superpower within internal division who possess a single general capable of destroying an enemy brigade. On her own.

Cynicism shouldn't supplant logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post

That is all.
    What seriously?
    Hahaha!

Quoted for none of these will work on a mobile device.

After-thread-Cleanup

Basically, a task of this nature would require the most experienced of unicorns, and, well, in a world where level determines a chunk of your skills, one needs to be an incredibly high level to be an incredibly good doctor/nurse/diagnostician/occultist/etc pony.
    Factually incorrect, and spawned by seeing a 1-20 scale without knowing the grain by which it is measured.

Level 5, max ranks in knowledge (8), a well stocked library (2), natural aptitude (int 18, 4) is a +14 bonus. The DC for answering questions mankind has not yet thought of is around 30.

This means at level 5, Einstein was answering questions beyond ken about 25% of the time (16+/20) and the rest of the time he was merely flicking brilliant.

Level 5 also hits Olympic stride in other events, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    oldies............

*feels positively ancient
    Pssshhhh, you're in better physical condition than me, "old timer". And you've got a cooler hat. I don't say that often.

Too bad! Dexter
    Spoiler
    Show
    didn't become Belkar Bitterleaf, or Dashing Swordsman.

P.S- How will Action Hank fare against Mane Cast? I mean g4 mane cast are not evil like pony puff princess, unless it's "rainbow factory" and "cupcake" fan fic. But Action Hank could challenge a honorable combat against Mane Cast, or it could be a friendly rivalry. Who would win in the fight (one on one, one against all, or 6 against 6).
    I want to see Action Hank hangin' around with the ponies, being manly in strange ways. Sewing up battle wounds in his fatigues while sipping with Rarity, playing horseshoes with AJ over a pint, coaxing some squirrels to a feeder in a cage so they can be relocated while a hopeful Fluttershy watches odeon the background, ready to step in.

Action Hank was a pretty stand up guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Samurai Jack was great, I even kinda got an Aku feel from the supposed S3 pony villain.
    Ditto.

Well, I did love Tom and Jerry too. I mean, who didn't watch Tom and Jerry? And lots of other classic cartoons ... Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and of course Disney was always showing on one channel or another.
    A lack of Loony Tunes is my expressed belief for why children these days are so Uncultured. Phineas and Ferb are trying, and so is MLP, but kids get fart jokes and butts and as much music as the toy commercials can fit into the commercial jingle before they fast forward on the DVR.

He-Man ... damn, I remember he was really big when I was, like, seven or so. I can't remember anything from the show, I just remember we had action figures and probably ruined our parents.

Then Turtles became big for a while, about the same time I think, maybe a little later. That probably ruined our parents too.
    Both has the same big, awesome selling point; their toys often featured slime.

I always felt I was one of the oldest here, standing at 34.5 solar revolutions.
    From memory, we average out to 28. Lots of 22 folk, and I didn't bother to factor in our statistical outliers.

What, the princess of the sun can't afford a nightlight?
    Have you seen the quotes for retrofitting electricity into a magical princess palace?

That bed can barely contain her.
    I need someone to write a serious take on a My Little Pony trashy romance novel. Like, badly. I will even attempt to pay for it. Any takers?

Celestia: Amazon Goddess of Trolling?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep.

Yeah, which is oddly the only thing she seems to ever wear. I guess she donates her monthly wardrobe funds to the pegasi orphanages.
    Or is saving up to retrofit the palace.

Interesting theory, though I'd say the Mane 6 need not be decendants. Instead all ponies are capable of becoming one of the six elements and it's just a matter of need by the elemental powers when to bring together a group of friends capable of weilding the power.
    Consider that after over one millennium, around 500 generations, it's entirely possible for over three quarters of the current pony population to clam descent from one of the hearth's warming eve characters.

Hay, it's possible for everyone to be related that far back, if only because there doesn't seem to be anywhere else for ponies to live.

Oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Actually, Hearth's Warming Eve reminded me very much of a Christmas Panto being played by a good local drama group, where they will take on a traditional story and add local references and jokes. Thus, they tailor the parts for the actors.

Also, most of the Panto-type stories are either pure fantasy (Jack and the Beanstalk) or so far removed from history as to be pure fiction ((ahem) Richard(ahem) Whittington). If this is the case there is no reason why the characters and story should be anything other than "morality tale with stock Equestrian characters" in it.
    Thanqol and Plato had the right of it. A Noble Lie to teach morality to the populous.

48, and attempting to sneak up on 49.
    The trick is to stay down wind!

Yes, I think Topaz was sort of half-implictly given the Elder of Ponythread title (because otakuryoga wondered about claiming the title and then Topaz one-upped him...!)

(Yes, because I'm thorough, I did go back and check; but also yes, I went back to double-check because I remembered (correctly, as it happened) a quick conversation I had from a year ago. Sometimes my memory for pointless detail amazes even me...)

Did you know we had the age conversation nearly a year ago? (Exactly fifty-one weeks, in fact, because we were - by some irony - having the conversation on my birthday last year - which is next Wednesday this year.)

Cyclic ponythread thinking? Coincidence or sign Ponythread is folding space and time in some eldritch brightly-coloured horror? You decide...
    Yep.

Topaz is an elf?
    Topaz is half changeling. Changeling is a faerie creature. Fairies and elves are similar enough to be identical. A half elf can choose to be either mortal (human) or eternal (elf) and Topaz is still alive.

Therefore yes. Topaz is an elf. She's our elf.

*hugs Topaz*

'Course if I'd been Picard, I'd have said "yeah, sure dude, whatever helps you sleep at night", in as patronising manner and when he got smug about it, I'd point out that he was the fifth light.*

"What do you me-ohgodstheburningtheburningaaaaaaaargh!"

Kirk, or course, would have just jumped on the desk, double-handed-drop-punched the guy in the face and then snapped the lights off their mountings and beat him and all the guards unconscious with 'em, while the Amok Time fighting music played the background. And getting his shirt ripped, if it wasn't already.

Which is Kirk is best Pony. Er, captain.
    If you'd have been Picard you wouldn't have been a magical space pony Lich and wouldn't have been able to light him on fire, to be fair.

Kirk would probably have resorted to violence, yes. (And he'd have swung off the lights to kick the guards, not snapped them off their mountings) He'd have been beaten unconcious most likely (he was after all, already a prisoner), but there would inevitably be a cunning escape some time later, possibly whilst being treated for the injuries he suffered in the fight after having gotten fed up of being told there were five lights. Inevitably there would have been a Cardasian nurse involved.*

So....Star Trek Ponies?
    Spoiler
    Show

Can I get an episode name? I'm lost for once.

My word I'm sorry I thought it was like required for all playgrounders to know this. How do you talk on this site?
    Hate you so much

BEYOND THIS POINT BE
    SEASON THREE
    EPISODE THREE
    FOR THEE

YAR

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine....
    Spoiler
    Show
    So.....Twilight reversed the Transmutation spells on those poor animals, right? That was some Discord-level reality warping right there.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unnecessary. We know that a transformation spell cannot be maintained indefinitely. Twilight couldn't keep a rock as a top hat, for example. She can empower them o maintain themselves for a while, but that's a sign of improvement, not transcendence to the point of unlimited duration.

New episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The walls are closing in!"
    "What walls?"

Welp. There you have it. Official proof that Pinkie can view the 4th wall.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pr just proof that Pinkie is a ham and knows the words for stereotypical panic.

Although its interesting that one of the signs of panic is sudden claustrophobia. It's like, claustrophobia is associated with a buckling will in the same way femininity is associated with being gay. I wonder why? I ha never noticed that before. Why is someone having a panic attack always complaining about shrinking rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    New Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems that the clones only had basic personality without specific memories. That was probably their way of avoiding ethical issues of coming up, since they were basically fun-loving imitations of the real pinkie.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know. it seems they had all of Pinkie's persona but none of the context. As soon as clone zero alpha experienced the same anxiety, acquiring the same context, she becomes more well-rounded. More like the real pinkie. An she brings her most prominent impressions – anxiety over missing out – to the pool where Typhoid Pinkie herself brought more wonder and relief to the pool.

And then there is the societal reinforcement. P zero alpha spawned P-one alpha and beta, etc., and then suddenly there's a Pinkie plague. Where P-Zero alpha was able to acquire context enough to develop as a person, the remainder all had major reinforcement of airwaves ditzy fun fun happy times, because yet travelled in a mob and reinforced each other's behaviors. Akin to Dracula, who began to develop from a child to sovereign creature, the Pinkie clones could have developed full personalities if they had enough time to Become.

Spoiler
    Show
    The fact that Twilight's anti clone spell works on real ponies has unfortunate implications of other potential uses.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not an anti clone spell. It's a banishment spell located in the section of the book detailing a spiritually cloning pond in a cave. The mirror creates spiritual duplicates which cross the barrier from ephemeral to material through the specific invocation, the "key to the verge" to use the parlance.

Twilight's spell, found in a book that was hidden from casual prying by someone concerned and moral enough to worry, sends things across the barrier to the spirit world. But the magic was easy. Not easy for Twilight, but easy. She read it and knew it would work and had no practice. This means it is probably a less refined, specific set of thaumaturgical formulae and more generic, only to be used under proper circumstances. It's a generic banish spell which the author or collector – this ties in to my own personal conspiracy theories, fueled by The Pony In The Box (Anarion knows!) – knew the spell was designed for moral ends but couldn't ensure it.

Also, the button in the secret compartment was an upside-down horseshoe. Not only do I think this the same symbol as on the book produced by Princess Luna as part of "the next level" of training, but it is also a symbol of bad luck and I'll omens.

My hypothesis is that the world runs sort of like Harry Potter did. The majority of Equestria lives off a fairytale history, a Noble Lie to promote moral society. The truth, that there is evil and wickedness, lies beneath the surface. These truths, hinted at throughout the series, require potent magical interception. Twilight is being groomed to become an actual wizard, to learn the truth of such ales as those of Star Swirl the bearded. We've seen CeleTia wielding wicked magic, and we've seen the Sosters unite to bring down a villain in a cascade of Rainbow Fire. There's more to the world, but they work to make it as joyful as it seems.

S3E3 - First thoughts (on the full episode)
    This was a fun episode, I quite enjoyed it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a little concerned that apparently Pinkie's antics are now real phenomena that the other ponies acknowledge as real, as opposed to comedy effects that only we see, or things that are only in the minds of other ponies.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am of the belief that her slow-motion into the pool was a nod to humor, as opposed to a historic depiction of factual alteration of motion. But yeah, I can see that being problematic.

Spoiler
    Show
    So apparently turning an apple into an orange is way harder than turning anything else into an orange, or turning an apple into a chariot and mice into horses. Tells us something about how magic works in Equestria, perhaps?
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, I think that's a combination of factors. Twilight was practicing, refining her technique. We know this involves isolation of and then alteration of single variables, which means she may have been testing flawed transformations on purpose to ascertain her level of leeway and the effects before combining them into a functional spell.

Regardless, she was ready to give it everything when Pinkie interrupted. The spell which transformed the frog would have also transformed the apple. We also can surmise easily that the spell which failed to transform the apple would likewise have failed on the bird and frog.

Organic to organic is easier than inorganic to organic, and apple to orange would be easier than bird to orange. This is why the changes are superficial, and likely to wear off; both the bird and frog maintain their base natures, able to be themselves aside from some minor (if disturbing) aesthetic alterations.*

Compared to Apple to Chariot, which converts a non-animate object into a specific one – that is, a rote to turn something into a chariot instead of turn a thing into another thing, more specific and so able to devote more efficient energy use to it's ends – the orangification would be more complex because it's not a preplanned event, with no real framework. It would be the "creation of a rote", to use the terms. The mice into horses is also a specific effect, and one with a very limited duration based on fairytale factors.

As an aside, I think apples into oranges runs on Discworld logic. Apples cannot be compared to oranges, right? So making one into the other uses the barest of sympathy, a -10 factor. It's like converting necromancy to illusion, not really easy, or possible at lower levels of power output. This was a test, of truly defying the silly rules of reality to transform a thing into its literal polar opposite. Because what rhymes with orange? A hell of a lot less than what rhymes with apples!

Spoiler
    Show
    Why is that book hidden in a secret compartment? That was kinda random. What else do you suppose is hidden around the library, by who and for what reason?
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a relic of job isolation, most highly literate ponies are likely to practice what they write about. Unlike our own times, you don't get fiction of wizards written by non-wizards. Do the librarian is probably less a job of book sorting and more a sort of secretary-slash-bank manager for magical knowledge.

Magic is a force. Kinetics is force. A gun is just as nonmoral as a book on banishing spells. You can hope whoever finda the fun only shoots bad guys, and hope whoever banishes only exercises those who are interloping in our plane, but you can't guarantee it unless you all but guarantee only those who can be trusted have access.

Spoiler
    Show

I bet there will be a hundred fics about how it wasn't the real Pinkie who won. Pretty safe bet, I bet.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly? I don't think it matters. The clone most likely to survive is P-Zero alpha. This is also the clone most likely to become the real pinkie pie. Removed from the stimulus of an insane pink party plague, any of the clones would have quickly normalized. Eventually, each would become a "real" Pinkie Pie. So there is no loss, except of acute mnemonic detail as the clones showed signs of having the same memories just not the same prioritization which arises as an event of living. They had the same data, but which parts of that data are important would be emergent properties. Pinkie is bad with words all the time, or randomly very technically good with words ("Ruckus—" "FRACAS!"), which can only lend credence to this.

Alternately, being tied to the pond, which now contains the real Pinkie Pie, P-Zero alpha would eventually come to reflect her completely since she is eternally within the mirror's scope.

Hmm. P-Zero alpha was the most complete pony duplicate. She is also the longest in the making, as Pinkie spent many times lingering the process. And her reflection was many times Stronger, since it had longer to exist and absorb the resonance of Pinkie's need before crawling out through the verge.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just checked again, and you're right, though those two disappear after Twilight enters and leaves the treehouse.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geeze, a pony and his 'companion' can't even go back in time for a little alone time? Snoops!

Spoiler
    Show
    It maybe somewhat evil of me, but I think there might be potential for mirror abuse, and not just the shenanigans way.

For example, grab a fairly innocent pony, perhaps Applebloom, and load her up with two saddlebags full of bits. *Send her through the mirror ad nauseum. *Collect the bits. *Zap away the extra Appleblooms; you could set up a password to reveal the true one, like "Zecora." *Crash the economy with your mountain of bits.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    too many loopholes. No guarantee that the mirror can create objects, no guarantee those objects wouldn't vanish with the pony who brought them, no guarantee evil clone shenanigans wouldn't ensue as one clone gets smart and learns the catchphrase since they did have rudimentary memory an personality, no guarantee they don't learn what is spoke in front of the reflection before genesis, and no guarantee fairy gold has any value aside from ensorcelment.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    New episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Liked it in general. I rate this far better than the season opener, at least narratively. The plot is cohesive, and wrapped in a neat package. A number of extremely convenient contrivances, certainly, (Pinkie's prescient knowledge about the pool and Spike finding the book) but almost forgiveable in the sense that the show seems to be poking fun at itself about those.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not a contrivance.

As a kid, when drawing, I would draw a guy with his leg up, "Captain Morgan" style. And when I drew the background, I always felt like I was cheating by drawing a rock upward that "conveniently" supported the raised foot. Until one day I realized, that wasn't convenient. It was mandatory. Without that rock to support the foot, it wouldn't be up there in the first place!

Pinkie knowing about the mirror isn't a contrivance, because it's natural to use your knowledge of things. We don't know how many "plot devices" sit around unused because nopony knows about them. It's the, what, toupe fallacy?

Spoiler
    Show

I find amusing/ironic that the real Pinkie was the one who acted most un-Pinkie-like during the mass Pinkie scene.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    This just means your expectations of Pinkie are based on stereotyping and flab derivation rather than her personality as a living creature.*

Pinkie has always been a well rounded individual who presents a unified face because she's easy to please. But just as Rarity isn't strictly a fashion horse, Pinkie isnt strictly a party crazy whacky pony.

New episode:

Spoiler
    Show

All in all, rather meh. Not too impressed so far this season.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    We had that at the start of the last season too. Pony is like wine, you need to let it breathe to get it all

Spoiler
    Show
    The problem is that Pinkie's antics are intentionally and very blatantly completely against even the magic of Equestria, it doesn't fit the setting unless that setting is a cartoon show on TV. Nopony wonders that Dash can fly or even perform a Sonic Rainboom, or sleep on clouds, or that Twilight can perform magic tricks, but they do wonder about Pinkie doing things that frankly only make sense if the whole thing is a cartoon, and the characters should not be aware that they are living in a cartoon!

It works because we're watching a cartoon, but the moment the characters actually acknowledge it as something real, within the setting, it doesn't work any more and instead conflicts with the setting.*

Consider trying to treat the setting seriously and having Pinkie be able to do completely stupid things that should only happen in a silly cartoon and which apparently utterly defies the world view of all other characters. Suddenly you're not telling a story in a meaningful setting, but some weird, nonsensical bit of fiction in a silly cartoon setting.

Now, if you want to say that Pinkie descends from a long line of gypsies and thus has some sort of gypsy magic, that's fine if you can explain it and make it fit into the setting. But having Pinkie pie defy everything known about the setting and having the other ponies acknowledge this feat of reality defying is simply wrong.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's possible that Pinkie Pie is a descendant of the itinerant gypsies from the Ravenloft setting who have mystical connections to the byways of the most through an inherited deal with Strahd. Her ability to move behind Equestria and her ability to slow her descent would all be different applications of the same phenomenon.

Though I prefer the "ignore the cartoony aspect when taking the setting seriously" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    so i wonder about the massive increase in traffic this story
    http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2232...ches-Paint-Dry
    has undoubtedly experienced today 8)
    Haha! Nice.

S3E3
    Spoiler
    Show
    EXISTENTIAL CRISIS

Okay, Pinkie Pie's, uh, exuberance is so well known to the ponies that even her closest friends don't think the depressed one in sitting on the side filled with self-doubt is the real Pinkie?
    Twilight making the Pinkies sit reminds me of a statement from the Discworld series saying that dogs, no matter how they think otherwise, reflexively respond to a stern human voice telling them to "SIT!"
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A necessary mistake for the plot to continue. I suspect that with no reason to know why the sad Pinkie is sad, coupled with the sad Pinkie saying she was probably not Pinkie, there would be enough doubt to require further analysis for our science minded protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    The same thing everyone else is spoiler boxing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, Granny Pie knew about a secret cloning pond even Twilight had never heard of, and she taught Pinkie 'Giggle at the Ghosties.' Was Pinkie's grandmother some sort of badass adventurer in her day?
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not "Granny Pie", but "Nana Pinkie". *We do not know that these two are the same. It is easier to believe AI though, as a story-telling wise woman would have all this knowledge and is an easy archetype to attribute to a Russian-expat family as the old crone who knows things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that bothered me a lot. *I don't even see how Twilight would know that the real Pinkie would even win the "quiz". *There was also the fact that "well, only one Pinkie is acting depressed that she messed up all her friends' lives." *Hey, maybe it's her? *How did anyone know the real Pinkie would watch paint dry?
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie suggested the test. Remember that.

Pinkie Pie herself supplies the test. Pinkie pie would be the one who woul know what is hardest for her to accomplish, and what would motivate her to do so. It's not as much of a plot-pull as you'd think. Especially since every P-entity is sufficiently similar that you can't tell the difference. If they are 98% similar, then even a clone is likely to be right 98% of the time.

Isn't that more or less what I said, only replacing "psionics" with "Earth Pony magic?"
    No, you said she's a real life psychic. Deadly said she's a David copperfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I'm Twilight Luna, the spicy manticore, destined to pose for books.
    Spicy manticore is the best pony flirting.

THANQOL!
    I demand
    That you include
    'spicy manticore'
    As flirting or
    Pillow talk
    In a story, when you
    Take up writing
    Again!
    —S

That should get his attention. Especially when I link it in every other thread he frequents.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Destiny generator, first try:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh hoho, you spicy manticore you!

Hi Tessen! What's so funny?

Episode 3 related headcanonings tangentishly related to Deadly's own spoiler stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

So, Granny and/or Nanny Pie laugh in the face of danger, have clearly explored the Everfree Forest and consider tales of vaguely fae magical legends the kind of thing you tell your fillies.
    [Episode 3.3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    What you're describing is every parent in superstitious middle ages, mate. Of course you tell your kids stories of wonder and magic. Although we have no reason to think she navigated the everfree, so much as collected stories. I have a friend who could tell you landmarks from Germany's black forest, but who has never left his state.

I am Prince Spoon the fabulous griffon, destined to ridicule the princess.

Welp, packing for banishment.
    But hey, at least you'll get a goodie in before you go! Just stay away from cake jokes. Or her abysmal gamerscore, depending on the princess.

Or that "married to a foreign-power super spy mastermind villain, technically" bit. Less banish-y, more finding out why she's pink now, and white in her baby photos. (*squelch!*)

Wardroid 3827, on the other hand, would be quite a catch.

Now, have a picture of OcataScratch awkwardly sharing earphones.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Admittedly romantic, but in my day of we wanted to share music we brought extra 'phones and a splitter. Lazy.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Bugbear in the Playground

Psst, Silver. Um, I don't want to rain on your parade, but parasprites have already been discovered.
    Could be worse; one of mine was destined to discover bunnies.

Another was Shining Armor, who was going to "shove Canterlot". I almost hope that's some kind of euphemism.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Pony settlement process:
    Step 1: Let Earth Pony start the basics for a town, like farms or mines.
    Step 2: Town Grows
    Step 3: Other ponies, unicorns and pegasus, came in and set up infrastructure.
    Looking back on the episode "Bridle Gossip,"
    Does ponyville's fear towards Zecora have to do with Zebra rarely comes to Equestria due to 19th century transportation when sea travel is expensive, or Ponyville is a small town that has no significance to foreign immigration (Zap Apple Jam might be limited to Equestria) and having no higher education, like college or equivalent (Shown by Twilight's knowing that Zecora is a Zebra but not other ponies).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Pony settlement process:
    Step 1: Let Earth Pony start the basics for a town, like farms or mines.
    Step 2: Town Grows
    Step 3: Other ponies, unicorns and pegasus, came in and set up infrastructure.
    Looking back on the episode "Bridle Gossip,"
    Does ponyville's fear towards Zecora have to do with Zebra rarely comes to Equestria due to 19th century transportation when sea travel is expensive, or Ponyville is a small town that has no significance to foreign immigration (Zap Apple Jam might be limited to Equestria) and having no higher education, like college or equivalent (Shown by Twilight's knowing that Zecora is a Zebra but not other ponies).
    It seems to be a distant land problem. Although zebras seem to be known to the educated, it's highly unlikely that there's a thriving pony-zebra cultural interchange of any sort, except perhaps an ambassador or two running around Canterlot.

By the by, I see no reason in principle that other pony types couldn't start a town. Unicorns could cultivate via magic, and pegasi have a Cloud town that presumably runs on its own just fine. I imagine earth ponies are the standard, and if I were planning to found a new pony town I'd actually want a mix of all three types because they have various useful skills.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

I am evidently Rainbow Doodle, the Hungry Magician destined to Eat Discord.
    *grabs knife and fork*
    BRING IT!
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a comic presenting an alternative for how the season 3 premier could have gone. I'd support it.

Spoiler
    Show
    If they cross the streams, it summons Discord back to life.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    It's possible that Pinkie Pie is a descendant of the itinerant gypsies from the Ravenloft setting who have mystical connections to the byways of the most through an inherited deal with Strahd. Her ability to move behind Equestria and her ability to slow her descent would all be different applications of the same phenomenon.

Though I prefer the "ignore the cartoony aspect when taking the setting seriously" approach.
    If you think about it, though, the setting is fundamentally dependent on the cartoony aspect. Is Pinkie's frequent warping of reality that much different than what every other pony can manage to accomplish with their hooves alone when the camera isn't watching? You could just chalk it up to innate magic that Pinkie is just significantly better at than most other ponies.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Troll in the Playground

I need someone to write a serious take on a My Little Pony trashy romance novel. Like, badly. I will even attempt to pay for it. Any takers?
    Why do I suddenly want to do this?

Hi Tessen! What's so funny?
    Dat Paradox

And oh hai, Ponythread.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

11. - Top - End - #1301

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    It's different because Dash actually acknowledges that this is real, that it is a thing (the dive). Now, you could probably ignore the rest because none of the ponies react to it (that I remember, off the top of my head), but Dash asking "how did you do that?" tells us that we have no good reason to believe that her friends don't also notice all the rest (and just don't ask about it on screen). That's what has me concerned.

Pinkie having magic/psionics/whatever would be fine if it was presented as such and made to fit within the setting, but it's blatantly not. It is intentionally presented and now acknowledge IC as the utter reality defying cartoon physics that it is.
    Ugh, one other thought on new episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Until now, Pinkie's antics have all been ignored, in a sense nobody calls her out on "how did you do that?" But, we saw Rainbow Dash address the fact she froze mid jump into the water, and even ask "how did you do that?". So, what now? Are we going to find out that Pinkie really has some magic, something that allows her to do this? The show's continuity would expect an explanation.
    Responding to spoilers with non-spoilery content.

Pinkie has been seen to break the laws of physics and get responses from ponies as well. Just off the top of my head, we have Pinkie popping out of potted plants (Green Isn't Your Color), Pinkie outrunning the fastest flier in Equestria (Griffon the Brush-Off), Pinkie hijacking Twilight's teleport spell (Return of Harmony), PinkieEyes popping through brick walls and keyholes (A Friend in Deed), and probably several others.

At this point, we'd either need to declare Pinkie simply possessing indescribable reality-altering powers, or just treat is as visual gags for the audience that were not meant to be taken seriously. I'm a bit more inclined to take the second option, as there is far too much silly in Equestria to take the whole setting at face value. (Besides, it's more fun that way. )

And having through it over for half a day, I'd like to give my overall opinion about the episode.
    S3e3 spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    This reminded me of the setup and implementation in Party of One. We have Pinkie suddenly developing a never-before-seen obsession, suddenly going through antics because she can't do it, and getting it all wrapped up and resolved when she stops overreacting and seeing the obvious (to the viewer). It perhaps works a bit better in Party of One than here in Too Many Pinkie Pies, if nothing else that earlier we had less understanding of her character and she was still opening up to the rest of her close friends. At this point, she's been together with them for three seasons - it's kind of odd that the "cannot have fun with more than one at once" problem didn't show up before.

I will admit, Pinkie isn't my favorite character. She's silly to watch, but it's hard to sympathize with someone with such a goofy personality. I actually think she's shown more maturity in Season 2 than she showed in the entire episode. I do realize that in an episodic series by different authors like this, we will get some episodes where characters act sillier or simplier than in others.

However, if we're discussing internal narrative consistency based off of Pinkie's slow-dive, then I don't see a problem for me to bring up narrative consistency critiques about Pinkies occasional (frequent?) nature shifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

12. - Top - End - #1302

If they cross the streams, it summons Discord back to life.
    This implies that Discord is dead.

As the thread nears its end, I think it's almost time to start nominating titles.

I nominate

Ponythread LVII: The Pink One Rises
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Why do I suddenly want to do this?
    <3

Dat Paradox

And oh hai, Ponythread.
    I kinda wanna see this come about in-game. Just for the .gif.

As the thread nears its end, I think it's almost time to start nominating titles.

I nominate

Nears it's end? We've got five pages.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-18 at 12:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1304

I wrote a parody of a trashy pony romance novel way back with 'Writing is Hard' but I can't imagine trying to tackle the same task unironically. Check my fimfiction page

And IMO Pinkie isn't OP the same way, say, Twilight is. Yes her powers break all the rules but only when it's funny. She never uses them to resolve a crisis outside of her dedicated episodes.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

<3
    Finding the proper headspace to attempt this may be challenging...

I kinda wanna see this come about in-game. Just for the .gif.
    Does the Aether anomaly not count?

Pretty sure Errant is going to be counting it...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

Dat Paradox

And oh hai, Ponythread.
    Hai!

IT'S NOT MY FAULT AND I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO IT!
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

IT'S NOT MY FAULT AND I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO IT!
    Says the pretty pony princess who didn't soak Paradox

>.>
    At least with Mara I get to be a pretty pony princess too!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1308

... That just sounds vaguely dirty.
    Didn't intend for it to sound dirty-ish. Just liked the wacky-soundingness (new word acquired!) of the name.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Banned

Honestly, the hardest part would be knowing what exactly a trashy romance is. I would have to find and read one.

I own one, actually. I got about a chapter in. But seriously, "Wilhelmina phoenix"? That's a terrible name! A pony would have to have an equally terrible name. So while Wilhelmina Phoenix would Work for a pony, she would have to end up, like, Erin Brown, to have the right level of exotic. I mean, her friends Rare Jewel, Risqué Business and Lewd Cliche would comment on such an exotic name, right?

And there's always a plot or conspiracy or some weird danger. So one of the love interests would be like, a diamond dog. And also his contact in the Pegasus Mafia.

Now to fit Guardalopopis in there...

I'll consider it when I get some maniacal laughter. Coolly wiping the blood off the gun an standing up is a start.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Says the pretty pony princess who didn't soak Paradox

>.>
    At least with Mara I get to be a pretty pony princess too!
    Heehee white text. Anyway, don't be such a baby about it, the paradox is supposed to only last a scene and 3 lethal damage would have taken a week to heal. In fact, I think it's clearly Turing's fault for not learning more life magic.

Let's get an expert. Expert, is it Turing's fault?
    Eeeyup.

Well, there you have it.

I'll consider it when I get some maniacal laughter. Coolly wiping the blood off the gun an standing up is a start.
    No comment. But here's a pony with a turtle on its head instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Troll in the Playground

Factually incorrect, and spawned by seeing a 1-20 scale without knowing the grain by which it is measured.

Level 5, max ranks in knowledge (8), a well stocked library (2), natural aptitude (int 18, 4) is a +14 bonus. The DC for answering questions mankind has not yet thought of is around 30.
    I'm seeing it as an "Identify Monster" check- with no offense directed at the Commander, that's just the shortest way to put it- on behalf of the fact that we're trying to identify a creature's anatomy. The DC for those is 10+Hit die, but since there's so many pieces of useful information one could identify of lichs, you have to build up on those uncapped "exceed by five" bonuses before all other pieces of useful information are exhausted and you find out where the lich's heart is located.

So, yeah, if the question was "Where is a lich's heart located?" yes, that'd be an easy question to answer. But the question "Where is that lich's heart?" is a totally different question and much harder to answer.

Besides, why would ponies be concerned about questions mankind hasn't thought of?

---

Anypony with way too much time on their hands want to graph out how many spoilers each episode has caused over the threads?
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-11-18 at 02:25 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, the hardest part would be knowing what exactly a trashy romance is. I would have to find and read one.
    Well -

I own one, actually. I got about a chapter in. But seriously, "Wilhelmina phoenix"? That's a terrible name! A pony would have to have an equally terrible name. So while Wilhelmina Phoenix would Work for a pony, she would have to end up, like, Erin Brown, to have the right level of exotic. I mean, her friends Rare Jewel, Risqué Business and Lewd Cliche would comment on such an exotic name, right?

And there's always a plot or conspiracy or some weird danger. So one of the love interests would be like, a diamond dog. And also his contact in the Pegasus Mafia.
    - I think you might have started answering your own question there...

Heehee white text. Anyway, don't be such a baby about it, the paradox is supposed to only last a scene and 3 lethal damage would have taken a week to heal. In fact, I think it's clearly Turing's fault for not learning more life magic.

Let's get an expert. Expert, is it Turing's fault?
    Eeeyup.

Well, there you have it.
    I think it's time to seek counsel >.>

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

For whoever was asking earlier, the Pinkie face change gif
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Responding to spoilers with non-spoilery content.

Pinkie has been seen to break the laws of physics and get responses from ponies as well. Just off the top of my head, we have Pinkie popping out of potted plants (Green Isn't Your Color), Pinkie outrunning the fastest flier in Equestria (Griffon the Brush-Off), Pinkie hijacking Twilight's teleport spell (Return of Harmony), PinkieEyes popping through brick walls and keyholes (A Friend in Deed), and probably several others.

At this point, we'd either need to declare Pinkie simply possessing indescribable reality-altering powers, or just treat is as visual gags for the audience that were not meant to be taken seriously. I'm a bit more inclined to take the second option, as there is far too much silly in Equestria to take the whole setting at face value. (Besides, it's more fun that way. )
    Yeah, other ponies realize she's there, and are probably aware she did something physically impossible (even in the world of magic). But no one's ever called her out on it. No one's just flat out said, "hey wait a sec, how did you do that?" They're treading a fine line here. At some point, they have to acknowledge that Pinkie has a special talent that hasn't been mentioned.
    This implies that Discord is dead.

I nominate

LV:II looks like "level 2". Someone who's good at this come up with something that works with that.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Banned

So, yeah, if the question was "Where is a lich's heart located?" yes, that'd be an easy question to answer. But the question "Where is that lich's heart?" is a totally different question and much harder to answer.
    Identify monster checks via knowledge can't tell you where a specific Lich's phylactry is any more than it could tell you where Orcus' wand is at any point in time, so that's moot.

This is also in relation to ponies having to be 75th level. By Latin out how exponentially such bonuses accrue, I still think I've covered my bases that there's no reason to attribute such an arbitrarily high level.

Besides, why would ponies be concerned about questions mankind hasn't thought of?
    They wouldn't, they've be concerned with mystic thoughts new to pony kind. StarSwirl was the pony Einstein.

Anypony with way too much time on their hands want to graph out how many spoilers each episode has caused over the threads?
    Each individual tab? Quotes as well? Or by post?

Well -

- I think you might have started answering your own question there...
    I've found open questions without prompting don't get many results. But don't stop speculating on my acount! All the better if we both end up writing trashy pony romance. Too bad I'm late for nanowrimo.

I think it's time to seek counsel >.>
    You think that's bad? That's my text tone. Big Mac agrees with the most awkward things.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Troll in the Playground

Identify monster checks via knowledge can't tell you where a specific Lich's phylactry is any more than it could tell you where Orcus' wand is at any point in time, so that's moot.
    well, actually. with enough knowledge of its history, you could find orcus' wand. though likely answer at any given time is "with orcus"
    and since liches tend to be generations old, you could probably learn enough about one in particular to deduce where a phylactery was likely to be.

wait, how did this get into ponythread?
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-11-18 at 03:18 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now to fit Guardalopopis in there...
    Also, the couple has to meet by chance, the more... um, experienced character immediately taken by the other's beauty.

I think the most important aspect is the cover. There's a gorgeous couple, one of which is probably about to faint; a sunset or dusk or some other sky color other than light blue; and a proudly embossed, cursive title. What's a trashy romance novel without its cover?
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

27. - Top - End - #1317

Episode 3.3
    Spoiler
    Show
    No jokes about knowing where the duplicate background ponies came from? Huh. On a side note, if a changling impersonating another pony goes into the pool, what comes out?

Nana Pinkie and Granny Pie? I think it's reasonable to assume Pinkie was named after her grandmothers.

I really liked the bear. I'm not quite sure why...

It was a good episode altogether, I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I wrote a parody of a trashy pony romance novel way back with 'Writing is Hard' but I can't imagine trying to tackle the same task unironically. Check my fimfiction page
    Oh I'm sure you could pull it off if you wanted to. It's just like the parody, except the tongue goes into someone else's cheek.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

Phylacteries are moot: The question and answer was about hearts. Are you trying to tell me a monster's heart is not part of itself? Okay, well, yeah, by RAW, they probably aren't, but that's neither here nor there.

This is also in relation to ponies having to be 75th level. By Latin out how exponentially such bonuses accrue, I still think I've covered my bases that there's no reason to attribute such an arbitrarily high level.
    Well, yeah. That's why I established that the DC can be arbitrarily high. Or, for a more nonsensical yet possibly more practical excuse, the DC is arbitrarily high because the PCs are at such arbitrarily high levels.

They wouldn't, they've be concerned with mystic thoughts new to pony kind.
    That'd probably increase the DC up to the point where it wouldn't be expressed by numbers recognizable to humans. Consider that we humans haven't been able to comprehend certain very easy pony concepts. For example, every discussion the threads have had about how day and night worked before Princess Celestia started raising the sun.

Each individual tab? Quotes as well? Or by post?
    I'd go by each new spoiler box, even if it isn't exactly an accurate representation. Just because it's relatively easy compared to something like "every word."

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    It started here-ish.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-11-18 at 04:19 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    well, actually. with enough knowledge of its history, you could find orcus' wand. though likely answer at any given time is "with orcus"
    and since liches tend to be generations old, you could probably learn enough about one in particular to deduce where a phylactery was likely to be.

Where a unique individual secrets their possessions is not part of their racial makeup. You couldn't learn where a lich kept his phylactry through knowledge (religion) any more than you could learn an Orc's maiden name with knowledge (local). You could figure it out through study, but not though the monster identification check.

An follow the citations! More fun that way.

Also, the couple has to meet by chance, the more... um, experienced character immediately taken by the other's beauty.

I think the most important aspect is the cover. There's a gorgeous couple, one of which is probably about to faint; a sunset or dusk or some other sky color other than light blue; and a proudly embossed, cursive title. What's a trashy romance novel without its cover?
    And tartan! Doesn't matter how actually Scottish highland anything is. There has to be tartan.

I may beg you to do the cover when I'm done.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Troll in the Playground

Curses! We're semi-cross-ninja-ing each other!
    ---