New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Speaking of Air Nomad culture, I've been wondering if the offspring of Tenzin's acolytes on the Air Island would have a chance to become Airbenders if born with bending potential, since they're apparently recreating the Air Nomad ways. But that brings us back to the "why are benders benders" discussion.
    The way I've always seen it (although I also have no substantiation) is that, over the course of generations, say three or four, a people who try to follow the ways and philosophies of a different element can evetually become benders of that element.

In effect, they sort of "disassociate" themselves from their previous element, and then "reassociate" themselves with the new one. It wouldn't be a fast process. At least two generations, but probably more. It's wht I've always thought had/would happen to the folks living at the Northern Air Temple.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Tenzin's Flying bison is called Oogi which is hilarious if you've read the last pages of the ... comic book intermission thinghy?
    there was a nifty link to it on this thread..or maybe the previous one..but it seems to have broken now
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    It's wht I've always thought had/would happen to the folks living at the Northern Air Temple.
    I would like this
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

So... New Clip From Episode 4

And a visual representation of what my mind and face are doing right now:
    Spoiler
    Show

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

That was actually pretty awesome!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I like it. Nice to see some good old fashioned battle bending.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Well, if they successfully recreate the Air Nomad ways, then all of their offspring should be airbenders for the same reason all the original Air Nomads were airbenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    The way I've always seen it (although I also have no substantiation) is that, over the course of generations, say three or four, a people who try to follow the ways and philosophies of a different element can evetually become benders of that element.

In effect, they sort of "disassociate" themselves from their previous element, and then "reassociate" themselves with the new one. It wouldn't be a fast process. At least two generations, but probably more. It's wht I've always thought had/would happen to the folks living at the Northern Air Temple.
    That's what I think too. They'll probably never bring the Air Nomads back, but there'll be at least one enclave of their culture in the Republic City, and maybe Northern Air temple.
    As for the new clip - looks pretty sweet. And it seems Amon's demonstration really disturbed Korra...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Hmm, I've been thinking, as national identities become blurred, how will people identify the next avatar in the cycle? Certainly not by nation any more.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathOfAMailman View Post
    Hmm, I've been thinking, as national identities become blurred, how will people identify the next avatar in the cycle? Certainly not by nation any more.
    Well the United Republic (or whatever it's called) is only a small part of the former Earth Kingdom territory. The Earth Kingdom still very much exists I believe, so while the Avatar might be born in Republic City & complicate matters, they could be born in some Earth Kingdom town.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathOfAMailman View Post
    Well at present we can infer that Republic City's mixed culture is still limited in scope. Korra is accurately assumed as being a new arrival and Water Tribe for example. Cultural identity would maybe hold through another turning of the cycle.

That aside though I'd say you'd just need a more detailed search with methods used previously. Search among young Earthbenders then use whatever they did to pick Aang.

...Or if there another case like Korra...

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Well the United Republic (or whatever it's called) is only a small part of the former Earth Kingdom territory. The Earth Kingdom still very much exists I believe, so while the Avatar might be born in Republic City & complicate matters, they could be born in some Earth Kingdom town.
    It just means the White Lotus needs to check Republic City along with whatever nation would normally spawn the next Avatar.

Also, my favorite part of that "Raid" clip was seeing the way the Waterbender SWAT team operated, flooding the room and freezing the water to quickly incapacitate people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It just means the White Lotus needs to check Republic City along with whatever nation would normally spawn the next Avatar.

Well the next Avatar will be Earth, so they would have had to check there anyway if it was still the Earth Kingdom.

But yeah, the lack of segregation amongst the elemental populations will make their job more difficult in general.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Well the next Avatar will be Earth, so they would have had to check there anyway if it was still the Earth Kingdom.

But yeah, the lack of segregation amongst the elemental populations will make their job more difficult in general.
    Presumably there are some other means by which they identify the Avatar besides wandering around until somebody bends multiple elements. Korra is the first Avatar we've seen who bended any element besides their native one without training, and the Fire Sages knew before Roku did. Maybe there are omens or tests they can use to find the Avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe they just go into one of those avatar statue chambers and ask but because Korra isn't very spiritual they had a hard time pinpointing her.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-04-24 at 05:23 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Presumably there are some other means by which they identify the Avatar besides wandering around until somebody bends multiple elements. Korra is the first Avatar we've seen who bended any element besides their native one without training, and the Fire Sages knew before Roku did. Maybe there are omens or tests they can use to find the Avatar.
    Well the Air Nomads did the toy thing, I don't think it was ever mentioned how the other nations found out.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

the problem is a self-solving one.

the same thing that causes the blending of cultures also makes for faster and easier movement of information.
    at this pace the technology will advance enough that finding the avatar will basically involve waiting for some "earth bender" to burn down a house or something.

my concern is that air benders may not create a sustainable population. in 3 cycles, who knows if there will be any. 1 war, 1 natural disaster, maybe an epidemic, and the air benders could be wiped out. 3 generations is a long time for nothing like that to happen.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-04-24 at 05:39 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

17. - Top - End - #797

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    That's like saying we need to start moving away from relying on electronic technology. Bending has long been the most valued skill in the avatarverse and has been a reliable method of powering technology. There never really seemed to be a reason to them to start moving away from reliance on bending. If a non-bender had trouble he couldn't deal with himself, he could just call upon the help of a bender to do it for him. Like how you call a plumber if your plumbing is broken and you don't know how to fix it yourself.
    But that's the thing though. If you train hard enough you can become a plumber, electricity isn't only creatable by these people with mystical powers. And if a non-bender has to rely on these people with special powers well... What if suddenly they don't feel like helping them?

18. - Top - End - #798

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Whew. That took a lot of reading to catch up.

I followed this link and found something interesting. Scroll down to the diagram after the writer's argument and the screenshot there. Note the possible source of Amon's name. I wonder if this has meaning.
    Huh, I thought it was a reference to Amun, the Ancient Egyptian God.

Note the alternate spellings: Amon is one of them.

And yes, it is wikipedia, so double check it at a more reliable source, but also:
    Amun represented the essential and hidden, whilst in Ra he represented revealed divinity. As the creator deity "par excellence", he was the champion of the poor or troubled and central to personal piety.[1]

Amun was self-created, without mother and father,
    Spoiler
    Show

Just saying, the mask, and the mystery of his origins and powers, what lies behind the mask, who he is, go with the "hidden" aspect. Champion of the poor and troubled: non-benders.

No mother and father: parents are dead [admittedly, no self creation]

Just some thoughts...
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

19. - Top - End - #799
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    question brought up related to the clip

Spoiler
    Show

kinda wondering how the justice system in republic city works. because learning to chi block is technically not wrong or evil. once they apply their new talents to attack benders does it become so.
    It would be like attacking air temple island because they are learning air bending

I think the only distinction is they are associating with a terrorist organization. but that doesn't explain why the triads are able to openly have headquarters. unless....the equalists are right the benders are oppressing them
    Last edited by Illieas; 2012-04-24 at 05:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
    question brought related to the clip

Spoiler
    Show

kinda wondering how the justice system in republic city works. because learning to chi block is technically not wrong or evil. once they apply their new talents to attack benders does it become so.
    It would be like attacking air temple island because they are learning air bending

I think the only distinction is they are associating with a terrorist organization. but that doesn't explain why the triads are able to opening have head quarters. unless....the equalists are right the benders are oppressing them
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're training with banners of Amon on the wall, I'd say that counts for probable cause, or whatever.

And the triads are classic gangsters, the headquarters will be some technically legal endeavour used to conceal their criminal activities.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-24 at 05:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I think the only distinction is they are associating with a terrorist organization. but that doesn't explain why the triads are able to openly have headquarters. unless....the equalists are right the benders are oppressing them
    Considering that chi blocking has no use except in combat unlike other bending it's probably illegal much in the same way that most guns are illegal in the western world and the rest need a special permit.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-04-24 at 05:49 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    given the emphasis put on "underground" and "in secret", it may be regulated. and yeah, it's association with a ring of kidnappers doesn't help.

as for the triad. they're the mafia. there was a period in our history where everyone knew who the big names were. but because of corruption, money, and a general willingness to be evil no one could mess with them.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

23. - Top - End - #803
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Considering that chi blocking has no use except in combat unlike other bending it's probably illegal much in the same way that most guns are illegal in the western world and the rest need a special permit.
    you know you might be on to something. It brings excellent reason why the non-bender feel powerless and oppressed. seeing as they have to rely on a police force that they feel is inadequate and unable to do self defense via chi blocking. with triads of benders walk around able to sling there element without punishment.
    Last edited by Illieas; 2012-04-24 at 06:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand no place (AFAIK) restricts knowing basic hand-to-hand martial arts and self-defense is an ancient legal principle.

And if chi-blocking is illegal well.... that right there is an enshrining of bender superiority in law.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    On the other hand no place (AFAIK) restricts knowing basic hand-to-hand martial arts and self-defense is an ancient legal principle.

And if chi-blocking is illegal well.... that right there is an enshrining of bender superiority in law.
    Well yeah benders are superior to non-benders. There isn't a single important job that a bender or a small group of benders couldn't do better then any non-bender.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Still, they aren't going for unnecessary suffering. Freezing them is a far more efficient way of enforcing the law than other options. Also, its nice to see waterbenders being more common and cool.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #807
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    given the emphasis put on "underground" and "in secret", it may be regulated. and yeah, it's association with a ring of kidnappers doesn't help.

as for the triad. they're the mafia. there was a period in our history where everyone knew who the big names were. but because of corruption, money, and a general willingness to be evil no one could mess with them.
    Spoiler
    Show

The problem for me is the city has full on SWAT teams and by the book hard nosed captain. It seems weird that three mafias can spring up but them not being able to bring them to justice. they have flying fortresses and a building of metal. I don't think witness protection is a problem. I infer from this to mean that the law is protecting them somehow. It seems weird that chi-blockers can be targeted for law breaking but not mafia. But if the law they broke is chi-clocking in itself the non- benders have a leg to stand on to their feelings of opression

28. - Top - End - #808
    Colossus in the Playground

Egyptian god nothing, it's pretty obvious - no superpowers in a world where supers rule, parents are dead, uses gadgets and exotic martial arts to defeat skilled opponents, wears a mask - Amon is Batman.

Also, for Sokka fans:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-04-24 at 06:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The problem for me is the city has full on SWAT teams and by the book hard nosed captain. It seems weird that three mafias can spring up but them not being able to bring them to justice. they have flying fortresses and a building of metal. I don't think witness protection is a problem. I infer from this to mean that the law is protecting them somehow. It seems weird that chi-blockers can be targeted for law breaking but not mafia. But if the law they broke is chi-clocking in itself the non- benders have a leg to stand on to their feelings of opression
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amon pretty much outed the Equalists as a terrorist organization. And the dojo they attacked was directly affiliated with the Equalists. It would be like if someone was training people how to make bombs with a picture of Bin Laden on the wall.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

Freezing them IS unnecessary suffering. Not only are they punishing non-benders for training in the only art that can put them on par with benders (a nonlethal art, I might add), but freezing people solid is way more dangerous then binding them with metalbending. If you're frozen solid, how long until you die of cold? Or suffocate? And even if you survive, you'll probably have hypothermia or something afterwards.

Well yeah benders are superior to non-benders. There isn't a single important job that a bender or a small group of benders couldn't do better then any non-bender.
    Then explain how the richest person in republic city, Hiroshi Sato, is a nonbender.

While there are many jobs where bending is a huge advantage (construction, generating electricity, anything to do with combat), there are plenty where it doesn't help (but doesn't impede, either), like entrepreneurship, business, or factory work, (operating machinery).

The nonbenders are being oppressed. They have no government representation, aren't allowed to practice self defence and aren't allowed to join the police force (from what we've seen so far), even though chi-blocking would be extraordinarily useful against bending criminals. I'm not saying that Amon has the right idea: Bending is way to important and useful to be removed from their society completely. But even permanent removal of bending would have its place as part of the justice system.