New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The Hobbit Film... trilogy.

Based on the simple fact that PJ is casting a Klingon as the actor for Thorin, I highly suspect PJ is aiming to tell an epic rather than a fairy tale.

Can you imagine the movie Thorin acting the way Thorin did in the book (except for the last battle ofc)?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

i'm sorry
    i think i missed something
    where exactly does it say the dwarves are unarmed?

because honestly, they couldn't have done much better even if they had weapons (which i'm pretty sure they did) because they where just so stupid

for example with the trolls
    the dwarves are caught one by one
    if they had all bunched together they MIGHT have had a chance, but still trolls are pretty big enemies for some dwarves to habdles.

with the goblins, they where caught in their sleep, again, no chance to really use their weapons... (And then of course they lost their stuff)
    so does it even matter if they where armed?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I now have the urge to a Mount Doom made out chocolate ice cream.
    Be realistic... it has to be a chocolate fudge cake with chocolate marzipan covering and an interior of chocolate ice cream with an option that has actual cream that pours out of the top when cut to simulate the chocolate volcano erupting...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    1. They're dwarves.
    2. This is a world setting akin to European medieval times.
    3. They're going to be traveling through forests, wilds, and other sparsely populated areas.
    4. They're dwarves.

Not being armed with at least mundane weapons is absolutely absurd.
    You forgot;

5. They're sober
    6. They're dwarves

Never ever try to remove weapons from a bunch of sober dwarves... its much easier if they're blind drunk and even then you're taking chances since only dwarves brew drink that can get them drunk!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I hear wood alcohol is capable of getting them drunk without bankrupting you.
    But they don't like drinking it much cuz the name makes it sound like something elves would drink.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Real dwarves drink fermented crude petroleum. It has "stone" in its name.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, no Dwarf is ever sober. Likewise, even if they tried, no Dwarf could ever get so drunk that it wouldn't be able to fight. There are just different levels of drunkenness.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Bah, no Dwarf is ever sober. Likewise, even if they tried, no Dwarf could ever get so drunk that it wouldn't be able to fight. There are just different levels of drunkenness.
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    i'm sorry
    i think i missed something
    where exactly does it say the dwarves are unarmed?

because honestly, they couldn't have done much better even if they had weapons (which i'm pretty sure they did) because they where just so stupid

for example with the trolls
    the dwarves are caught one by one
    if they had all bunched together they MIGHT have had a chance, but still trolls are pretty big enemies for some dwarves to habdles.

with the goblins, they where caught in their sleep, again, no chance to really use their weapons... (And then of course they lost their stuff)
    so does it even matter if they where armed?
    The only weapons ever mentioned are the ones recovered from the trolls, the bows given to them by Beorn, or the weapons in the treasure hoarde. This is in a book where the narration explains in more than one place what weapons were and were not taken. This heavily implies that they were not carrying arms at the time of the Unexpected Party.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

See, your problem is you assume the dwarves are just packing musical instruments instead of weapons:
    Real dwarves understand how to pack sensibly with limited luggage space. You don't pack your instrument or your axe.

You pack your instrument and your axe.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Mlai wins the argument.

I've last read the Hobbit .. probabily about 12-14 years ago.. but I'd think that common sense would mean that just because they weren't mentioned, weapons weren't necessarily left home.
    and should I be wrong.. meh.. ancient lore, mythology and fables are full of people who adventure without even a piece of string in their pockets and end up finding the weapons when they need them..
    that said, I wonder, had Tolkien thought of rewriting the hobbit to match it's style and setting more to middle-earth as per silmarillion and LOTR, what he would have changed..
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-08-21 at 07:47 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #222

I think I've seen that mentioned, yes. That he had not intended for the Hobbit to be fully compatible with his larger world, and that he later wished it had been more consistent in tone.

13. - Top - End - #223

I think I've seen that mentioned, yes. That he had not intended for the Hobbit to be fully compatible with his larger world, and that he later wished it had been more consistent in tone.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    that said, I wonder, had Tolkien thought of rewriting the hobbit to match it's style and setting more to middle-earth as per silmarillion and LOTR, what he would have changed..
    There was a slight change made, originally. The first editions of the book published had Gollum offer to give Bilbo a present if he won their riddle-game - the Ring. But once it was later established that Gollum's ring was also the One Ring, the Master Ring, etc, the chapter Riddles in the Dark was rewritten so that Gollum simply offers to show Bilbo the way out, and never mentions the Ring. Giving it to someone else isn't something Gollum'd even joke about.

This is explained in-universe by Bilbo originally writing the story that way, so as to cement his ownership of the Ring. After Gandalf pressed him for facts while the wizard searched for the truth, though, Bilbo told the true story and corrected the facts in his book to the 'true' version we have in subsequent prints.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    This is explained in-universe by Bilbo originally writing the story that way, so as to cement his ownership of the Ring. After Gandalf pressed him for facts while the wizard searched for the truth, though, Bilbo told the true story and corrected the facts in his book to the 'true' version we have in subsequent prints.
    That is one thing I really like about LotR lore. The idea of telling a story and having different versions (because people fib, or embellish, or leave out the embarassing parts) is actually a bit of a theme. Having other characters in the story care about the real version of that story is also an excellent touch.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The only weapons ever mentioned are the ones recovered from the trolls, the bows given to them by Beorn, or the weapons in the treasure hoarde. This is in a book where the narration explains in more than one place what weapons were and were not taken. This heavily implies that they were not carrying arms at the time of the Unexpected Party.
    Another interesting detail is that when Thorin investigates the troll campsite, he "came expecting mischief" but he doesn't bring a weapon. Instead, when he sees the trolls, he runs to the campfire and arms himself with a lit branch from the fire.

I suppose the dwarves could have packed weapons in their ponies' saddlebags (and not bothered to unpack them to investigate the campsite), but it does appear that they weren't armed at the beginning of their journey.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Another interesting detail is that when Thorin investigates the troll campsite, he "came expecting mischief" but he doesn't bring a weapon. Instead, when he sees the trolls, he runs to the campfire and arms himself with a lit branch from the fire.

I suppose the dwarves could have packed weapons in their ponies' saddlebags (and not bothered to unpack them to investigate the campsite), but it does appear that they weren't armed at the beginning of their journey.
    Actually, that would make some sense, since you really wouldn't need to carry weapons around in the Shire, which was just about the safest place in Middle-Earth at the time. So they could have put the majority of their weapons on the ponies, and the one who got the short straw and the majority of their wargear just happened to be one that went into the river just prior to the encounter with the trolls, along with their supplies (it was "mostly food.")

If all Thorin had on him was a knife or something, a burning brand would be better for dealing with the trolls because it'd have a little more reach.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-22 at 05:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

permission to sig?

@Gnoman thank you very much

@eldan didn't he say something in a letter about not liking the style of the hobbit? especially with the substitution of goblins for orcs and the depiction of the elves

and finally on the matter of snoopy, that is a very good point i think though that trolls are thick skinned and maybe a sword wouldn't hurt them as much as fire?

thats all i got :/
    My Metal Blog

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Actually, that would make some sense, since you really wouldn't need to carry weapons around in the Shire, which was just about the safest place in Middle-Earth at the time.
    If they had come from the Shire originally, this might be a fair point. But they didn't. They started in their mountain or whatever. And traveled through wild country to get to the Shire in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So they could have put the majority of their weapons on the ponies, and the one who got the short straw and the majority of their wargear just happened to be one that went into the river just prior to the encounter with the trolls, along with their supplies (it was "mostly food.")
    If the Shire is so safe, maybe it's reasonable to stow their weapons while they're there. But after they'd gotten into wild, untamed lands? First thing they should have done was strap their iron back on. Especially if they'd already been warned that there were freakin' trolls derping around in the area.

And even in civilized areas, it would be reasonable to have a bow or sling ready to knock off any rabbits that cross your path (which a bunch of farmers would certainly appreciate, in both senses of the word) to add to the dry rations in your luggage.

The whole thing seems to me more like Tolkien simply forgot to arm the dwarves in the original tale, and didn't want to retcon weapons in after the manuscript had gone to the editor/publisher.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    You realize that Tolkien never wrote that Dwarves were drunk or at all tending to be so. That is a weird random connection with Irish, and influences of the movie.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

permission to sig?

@Gnoman thank you very much

@eldan didn't he say something in a letter about not liking the style of the hobbit? especially with the substitution of goblins for orcs and the depiction of the elves

and finally on the matter of snoopy, that is a very good point i think though that trolls are thick skinned and maybe a sword wouldn't hurt them as much as fire?

thats all i got :/
    So long as you fix that typo in it, you have my permission.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe evil creatures are like bears, and the dwarves stomped their feet the whole way to the Shire so they'd be left alone...

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    You realize that Tolkien never wrote that Dwarves were drunk or at all tending to be so. That is a weird random connection with Irish, and influences of the movie.
    exactly
    dwarves haven't been drunkards for very long

also
    thank you again van buren :)
    My Metal Blog

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What are you talking about? How the heck do you think Aule kept the Seven Fathers asleep so that Iluvatar can make those prissy elves the first children of Middle Earth?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    If they had come from the Shire originally, this might be a fair point. But they didn't. They started in their mountain or whatever. And traveled through wild country to get to the Shire in the first place.
    As I understand it , the Dwarves traveled east from the blue mountains near the sea to the Shire, so coming to the Shire should present no more danger and difficulty than traveling from Manchester to London. Every thing is safe and civilized up to Rivendell ... or should be. That's why it's called the "Last Homely House".

Of the 13 dwarves, I believe only Thorin Oakenshield is a confirmed combat veteran, having fought in the Dwarf and Goblin war under the mountain. The orcs of the Misty Mountains in that time period had been wellnigh exterminated. So it could be that the dwarves really believed there journey would be without incident -- which it should, in normal times. Recollect that Bilbo's return home warrants about a paragraph in the book, because what with the goblins killed in the battle of five armies and travelling in the company of Gandalf, Bilbo was safe enough.

Possibly that's what the dwarves were reckoning on: That the goblins had been exterminated or nearly so, while the wizard would see off any problems.

In other words, the dwarves had spent decades if not centuries mining coal under the mountains and had forgotten what the outside world was like. They spent so much time telling each other stories about the mountains that they had no idea what conditions on the ground were really like. It's a failure that could be said of other folk, in fantasy worlds and the real one.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

that....
    well played pendell well played

at the same time
    going into a foreign place for the first time, a place that could very well be dangerous
    wouldn't YOU bring a weapon?
    My Metal Blog

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

that....
    at the same time
    going into a foreign place for the first time, a place that could very well be dangerous
    Or to quote a literary character,"Would you deprive an old man of his walking staff?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Or to quote a literary character,"Would you deprive an old man of his walking staff?"
    I can hear in my mind, Gimli quickly following with "Or a dwarf of his axe?"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's a dwarven walking stick with a really big headpiece.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

that....

at the same time
    You'd be amazed how many tourists wander around third world hellholes without bodyguards or weapons. I had some friends at church who toddled off to an orphanage in Haiti for an aid mission and there wasn't a weapon among 'em. Their self defense consisted of sticking to known areas and not going places where they weren't welcome. Since we got as many back as went out, it seems to work.

One answer might be: "A weapon! Sure, I brought a weapon. I call it : a wizard".

Tolkien's Dwarves are not Short Klingons. They are craftsman first and foremost, soldiers and warriors as the need arises. Mim in the Silmarrillion was no fighter, and Thror went into Moria UNARMED AND ALONE. They don't quaff ale copiously ( I think Thorin is portrayed as drinking WINE at the dinner party! WINE , for Manwe's sake!), they don't fight at the drop of a hat, and they fight with swords as well as axes. Thorin was buried with a sword, after all.

Also, The dwarvish expedition was invented in Tolkien's imagination a long time before there was such a thing as a D&D adventuring party. Which is presumably why he sent a bunch of level 0 commoners to tackle a dragon. Had the concept of CR existed back then, the first book might be called "Bilbo visits a keep on the borderlands".

It also explains why Tolkien was such a bad DM.

I see it sort of like this:

DM: There's a fire in the distance. What do you do?
    Bilbo: I investigate! :rolls a 1:
    [several rounds later]
    DM: Okay, so you're all prisoners of the trolls and they're going to eat you all. Hand me your character sheets .. um, suddenly Gandalf comes up and turns them all to stone! What luck!

DM: Okay, you're in a mountain pass. What do you do.
    Party: We all go to sleep without setting a watch.
    DM: Okay. :rolls wandering monster table: you're beset by a party of orcs, who attack you by surprise because everyone was asleep

:One adjudicated commoners vs. orcs fight later:
    DM: So now you're all prisoners (again) .. um, Gandalf swoops in and saves the day!

DM: Okay, so you're in the forest and you hear the howl of a wolf. What do you od?
    Party: We climb the trees to get away.
    DM: Okay, so you climb the trees. Orcs who were to meet the wolves set the trees on fire. Roll up new characters. Um... suddenly the eagles swoop in and save you all!

--------
    If this had happened at a convention , Gygax would have staged an intervention. Not just because the party is constantly being sent into inappropriate encounters, not just because the party is badly mismatched (no fighters, 1 absurdly overpowered DMPC wizard, not a cleric in sight, and a bunch of useless NPC commoners who can't do anything but grumble) but because Tolkien never allows the party to take the consequences for their bad decisions. Gandalf Ex Machina and Eagle Ex Machina show up all the time to get the party out of situations. You'd almost think he was DMing for his six year old son and couldn't utterly crush the boy's hopes or something .

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2012-08-24 at 08:44 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl