New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase V

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Paaaiiiiinnnnnn... That's not how you hold a violin. Also, the smile lines are too thin.
    I guessed. I really have no idea. The smile lines are too thin?... They look fine to me...
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

There should generally be consistent line width. And I probably wouldn't care if I didn't play violin.
    Like this:
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 2012-09-25 at 08:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    There should generally be consistent line width. And I probably wouldn't care if I didn't play violin.
    Like this:
    Okay, I never did anything with stringed instruments. My Middle School kept the Band and Orchestra separate, so I hardly even saw them, let alone someone playing them. I was Clarinet...

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #124
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

When in doubt, google image search is your friend I've gotten so many random reference pictures from there...
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Why does she have her finger around one of the pegs? I'm pretty sure that's not how you hold it, unless you're tuning it, and that's a really strange way to go about it.

(Also her chin is not resting on/gripping the violin. >.>)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Why does she have her finger around one of the pegs? I'm pretty sure that's not how you hold it, unless you're tuning it, and that's a really strange way to go about it.

(Also her chin is not resting on/gripping the violin. >.>)
    She is just getting ready to play it, still not playing it.
    Avatar masterfully done by the ever gifted Gnomish Wanderer

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    *snip*
    Pretty cool! I like the posing, but I can't tell if the lines of her magic are black, or just dark red. Also, her shoes don't really look like shoes.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Pretty cool! I like the posing, but I can't tell if the lines of her magic are black, or just dark red. Also, her shoes don't really look like shoes.
    Outlines are black, and I was going for a ballet flats like thing, instead of the boots we always see in the comic.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    Outlines are black, and I was going for a ballet flats like thing, instead of the boots we always see in the comic.
    Okay then. I see it now. BTW, what is her name? Surely a lovely lady like that would have a name.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Okay then. I see it now. BTW, what is her name? Surely a lovely lady like that would have a name.
    She has her real name, and the name she made up for herself.
    Her real name is Marissa.
    The name she made up is Areyil (Air-yil)

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

@asdflove: Not a bad avi. I do have a few recommendations, however.

For one thing, the hair looks like it's intended to match her head facing forward. I would recommend making it so it doesn't cover so much of the left side of her face.

The dress looks a bit stiff. Perhaps have it flow with the motion of the picture more. (In the same direction of the magic and hair.)

The shoes look a bit big and clunky for what you're trying to draw. I recommend making them smaller, or perhaps not drawing shoes at all. Leaving out the shoes can often look better than including them, and I think this would be such a case.

The magic effect looks messy. Fewer and smoother curves in it might help. I'm not very fond of just using transparent blobs of colour for magic effects myself. There are just so many better ways to do it that look better in the end. For something like that... I'd have to experiment, but some kind of gradient transitioning into transparency with a bit of blur might look good. I'd definitely ditch the outlines in that case, too.

And lastly, I'd lower the breasts a bit. Just so they don't look like they're sticking out from just below her neck.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    @asdflove: Not a bad avi. I do have a few recommendations, however.

For one thing, the hair looks like it's intended to match her head facing forward. I would recommend making it so it doesn't cover so much of the left side of her face.

The dress looks a bit stiff. Perhaps have it flow with the motion of the picture more. (In the same direction of the magic and hair.)

The shoes look a bit big and clunky for what you're trying to draw. I recommend making them smaller, or perhaps not drawing shoes at all. Leaving out the shoes can often look better than including them, and I think this would be such a case.

The magic effect looks messy. Fewer and smoother curves in it might help. I'm not very fond of just using transparent blobs of colour for magic effects myself. There are just so many better ways to do it that look better in the end. For something like that... I'd have to experiment, but some kind of gradient transitioning into transparency with a bit of blur might look good. I'd definitely ditch the outlines in that case, too.

And lastly, I'd lower the breasts a bit. Just so they don't look like they're sticking out from just below her neck.
    Hair is supposed to be like it is. All intentional there.

Hair isn't really flowing, just hanging there. There wasn't even much to the dress to make flow, I like how it is really.

It bugs me for some reason when they don't have shoes, but I may make them smaller.

... Isn't this order of the stick style? In the comic, magic is just curvy transparent blobs of magic. Just look, for example, Tsukiko's magic, in comic 518 (Which happens to be the one I'm currently re-reading right now out of boredom.)

And more art-
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-09-29 at 03:50 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Made an avatar for myself. My second attempt ever >.> Supposed to be a Monk/Crusader religious fanatic character I worked up for a future campaign.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Run animation? Run animation.

The .gif version is a lot more choppy than the .swf. But I can't embed flashes on GITP. So this is the best you get.

.Swf version
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-09-29 at 12:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Like you said, it's pretty choppy, but that can't really be helped if you can't put up the .Swf (The link doesn't work for me, so I can't view it here or there)

However I can point out Four things.

One: You need to look into something called easing. The slow beginning and end of a movement. Even a very swift or repetitive, seemingly monotonous movement begins slowly and ends (then repeats) slowly.

Two: The right arm is going back with the right leg and the left arm is going back with the left leg. It's much easier to see if you play it slowly, but it is there, and kind of annoys my eyes. However, I look at lots of animations so I'm just being fussy

Three: The hair seems to wave back and forth randomly, it should, infact, move forwards and up a moment after the foot leaves the ground and start moving down once he is at the apex of each "leap", which brings me to the next, and last, thing.

Four: The legs seem to simply be moving back and forth. When someone/thing runs, he, she or it is actually performing many tiny, rappid jumps. Between each stride, your little avvy should rise up a tiny bit, when neither foot is on the ground.

I hope some of this helps, and that I'm not coming off as an ass, I just wanna help

On to my question, is it okay if I put up avvies here and ask how to improve them? I know most people give advice here, but I want to put it up with the specific purpose of getting help.
    Ninjatar by me.

My art thread.. Please come help me :smallredface
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...2#post14472052

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Promise View Post
    On to my question, is it okay if I put up avvies here and ask how to improve them? I know most people give advice here, but I want to put it up with the specific purpose of getting help.
    Absolutely. That's basically the point. Go ahead.
    Also, Tiffanie, the belt looks like it's around the legs, because it's way too low. The legs don't start right below the belt.
    As for me, I made an avatar for someone, and I'm not perfectly satisfied with it. Can any of you see anything?
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 2012-10-02 at 11:45 AM.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Three thoughts, Cuthalion:

1) The black outline of her head is visible through her hair. I would add more hair or remove that part of the outline.

2) The mouth is way too small. I'm horrible at open-mouthed smiles, so I'm not the best source of advice, but it should be way bigger with relatively few lines, so there's lots of white teeth showing.

3) Your boots are way too thin -- OotS-style shoes are either really clunky or nonexistent.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last edited by Felyndiira; 2012-10-06 at 09:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    Woah. That, there, is cool looking. But I have a critique:
    It seems like the lines are all blurry, and the fingers have a shape that just doesn't seem right.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Expoted this one a little bigger than usual...
    Spoiler
    Show

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

The blurry lines have been Felyndiira's thing since as long as I can remember.

Also, for those of you that do colored eyes, can you show/tell me how you make them so that it doesn't look weird? Like width of stroke for eyes compared to stroke width used for the rest of the body? Does it have something to do with the size of the colored eyes?
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2012-10-06 at 06:02 PM.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I draw the eyes at 0.9 pixels, the head at 1.7 pixels, and most other parts of the avi at 1.4 pixels. The eye size pretty much hasn't changed since I copied Rich's eyes when I first started avataring.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

After a long hiatus due to university making me start to partially dread drawing with technical drawing courses I'm now trying to start back by mainly doing the most work-related thing I can think of to make myself set time apart.

Spoiler
    Show

The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

<o.o> That... is faboo.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

asdflove: I see that and the only thing I think is, "Baby Haley? Baby Haley.. Baby Haley! Hey! Hey! Haley! Baby Haley!
    'kay?

araveugnitsuga: Woooow, you're talented. Who'd have thought someone could make an "oots" style group of characters that I'd actually want to print and hang up on my wall? Jeepers creepers. Did you make those characters in your sig as well? For the banner? If so: You sir. Yes. It doesn't need to make sense.

So here's my first attempt at making an avatar for myself (which I'm putting up, the others were eyerape, so I didn't want to post them). I'm not sure if I particularly like this "style" yet (as in, as few black outlines as I can manage without it looking crappy). Mostly because I wouldn't be able to make it look.. I don't know, angry? Or evil? As the coloured outlines look so "happy". If anyone knows how to do it that way in more unhappy tones, I'd be very very appreciative of some tips.

PLEASE crit me, don't hold back. I've been on the internet for seven years now, I'm not going to get upset.
    Ninjatar by me.

My art thread.. Please come help me :smallredface
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...2#post14472052

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

PLEASE crit me, don't hold back. I've been on the internet for seven years now, I'm not going to get upset.
    Are you going for "No outlines" or just not black ones? If it is the latter you could use a darker shade than now to make them more distinct?
    The legs and shields positioning could perhaps use a little work... The shield seem like a perfect circle, if you just skew it slightly to become a ellipse it would probably give a less flat impression.
    I'm not certain what his stance is, is he crouching/jumping/running/stretching towards some foe/hindrance slightly above him? Or maybe even falling backwards while taking a swipe at the foe while going down? ...The last seem most likely ow when I think of it. If you tilt the body just slightly more backwards it would increase that impression.

Regarding the body, he seems to have too much torso compared to legs, making it a bit unbalanced. Compared to the head though the torso is not unreasonable (although perhaps slightly wide), so I'd suggest making the legs slightly longer if possible. The three heads high rule of thumb is useful although I prefer my legs slightly longer than that.

But overall I'd say it's certainly a competent attempt.

---

Nice one Araveugenitsuga, I'd lower the child slightly though since the boots don't hit the floor compared to the adults (although I suppose they might be holding him into the air by the shoulders ).
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-10-09 at 02:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

So I'm actually working on a Fan Comic for fun in Inkscape, and I figured I'd share one of the models I've made for it.

Our primary antagonist is more or less a parody of Bane as portrayed in The Dark Knight Rises. Isn't he adorable?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

asdflove: I see that and the only thing I think is, "Baby Haley? Baby Haley.. Baby Haley! Hey! Hey! Haley! Baby Haley!
    'kay?
    Haley's daughter actually. Her name is Shiri.

Also, this here is partially OotS style art.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

araveugnitsuga: Woooow, you're talented. Who'd have thought someone could make an "oots" style group of characters that I'd actually want to print and hang up on my wall? Jeepers creepers. Did you make those characters in your sig as well? For the banner? If so: You sir. Yes. It doesn't need to make sense.
    Thanks. They aren't made for the banner so much as the banner being about what they were made for.

They can be found in full size and correct scale here.
    So here's my first attempt at making an avatar for myself (which I'm putting up, the others were eyerape, so I didn't want to post them). I'm not sure if I particularly like this "style" yet (as in, as few black outlines as I can manage without it looking crappy). Mostly because I wouldn't be able to make it look.. I don't know, angry? Or evil? As the coloured outlines look so "happy". If anyone knows how to do it that way in more unhappy tones, I'd be very very appreciative of some tips.

You might want to darken the outlines slightly or use more saturated colours for them in relation to the fill. Using more saturated colours in general tends to take away the "happy" atmosphere into something slightly more aggressive, the use of darker hues also would help with that.

I heartily second the use of an ellipse for the shield instead of a circle for adding a perception of depth.

Apart from what Tsofu already said, I'd suggest making the shirt's neck more visible considering the current chest area showing appears to be intentional but not very clear and use of curvature in the body to better simulate the body movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Nice one Araveugenitsuga, I'd lower the child slightly though since the boots don't hit the floor compared to the adults (although I suppose they might be holding him into the air by the shoulders ).
    Thanks. I mainly did this with a height mark on the back, so I didn't really notice the discrepancy in feet height until you pointed it out, going to lower the boots to the ground to make it make sense.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.