New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [d20r, Creature] Shocker Lizard

Shocker Lizard
    Size/Type: Small Magical Beast (Electricity)
    Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (17 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
    Attack: bite +3 melee (1d4 + 1d4 electrical)
    Full Attack: bite +3 melee (1d4 +1d4 electrical)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: stunning shock, lethal shock
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., electricity sense, electricity absorption, low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Athletics +6 (+14 swimming or climbing), Awareness +5, Stealth +10
    Feats: Improved Initiative (+4, 4 pts)
    Environment: Warm Marshes
    Organization: Solitary, pair, clutch (3-5), or colony (6-11)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 3-4 HD (Small); 5-6 HD (Medium) Favored Class: Racial HD
    Racial Levels: No

A shocker lizard has a pale gray or blue underside, shading to a darker hue on its back. It has blue-black markings along its back and tail. A shocker lizard is about 1 foot tall at the shoulder and weighs about 25 pounds.

Combat
    A shocker lizard relies on its electricity abilities in combat. A lizard tends to bite only after its shock has rendered an opponent stunned or unconscious or when the shock seems to have no effect at all. A solitary lizard flees once it delivers its shocks, but if other shocker lizards are nearby, they all home in on their comrade's discharges and attempt to administer their shocks to the foe.

Stunning Shock (Su)
    Once per round, a shocker lizard can deliver an electrical shock to a single opponent within 5 feet. This attack deals 2d6 points of electrical damage to living opponents (Reflex DC 12 half). Creatures who fail the Reflex save must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Lethal Shock (Su)
    Whenever two or more shocker lizards are within 20 feet of each other, they can work together to create a lethal shock. This effect has a radius of 20 feet, centered on any one contributing lizard. The shock deals 2d8 points of electricity damage for each lizard contributing to it, to a maximum of 12d8. A Reflex save (DC 10 + number of lizards contributing) reduces the damage by half.

Electricity Sense (Ex)
    Shocker lizards automatically detect any electrical discharges within 100 feet.

Electricity Absorption (Su)
    Shocker lizards struck by an electrical effect negate the damage and gain Hit Points equal to one-half the damage that would have been dealt. They cannot gain more than their normal Hit Point total in this fashion.

Skills
    Shocker lizards have a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks due to their coloration. Shocker lizards have a +4 racial bonus on Awareness checks.

Shocker lizards use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Athletics checks.

A shocker lizard has a +8 racial bonus on Athletics checks made for climbing or swimming and can always choose to take 10 on an Athletics check made for climbing or swimming, even if rushed or threatened. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [d20r, Creature] Shocker Lizard

I see you've decided upon a monster format, Fax.

It seems to have a few proofing glitches only; spacing and capitalization come to mind.

This format brings a few things to light, but I'll scroll to one; is the proper format for feats now to be:

Feat (Relevant bonus[es], points invested)

as it occurs to be that a fairly distended stat block may result.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    It seems to have a few proofing glitches only; spacing and capitalization come to mind.
    I have never been good with that.

This format brings a few things to light, but I'll scroll to one; is the proper format for feats now to be:

Feat (Relevant bonus[es], points invested)

as it occurs to be that a fairly distended stat block may result.
    Yeah, that's the intended format. It may get rather huge (especially in the case of, say, a Warlord 10), so I'm still kind of torn on it.

In this particular instance, the shocker lizard gets a +3 bonus to Initiative due to it's Improved Initiative feat, and then gets another +1 from investing 4 points of prowess. Would it be better to say:

Feats: Improved Initiative (4)
    with
    Initiative: +5 (+1 prowess)
    ?

I mean that seems like it'd be (a) more confusing; and (b) would just move the bulk around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I have never been good with that.
    Don't go to print without it.

Yeah, that's the intended format. It may get rather huge (especially in the case of, say, a Warlord 10), so I'm still kind of torn on it.
    Therein was my concern. Character sheets can't handle that kind of mass, and if you have any complex feats, they'll look ridiculous fast.

Your example calls this to mind: at the moment, the only complete breakdown of bonuses is for AC, which makes sense given its highly variable nature. I can see the logic of doing so for certain other stats, but Initiative not at all. We don't currently say:

Initiative: +15 (+7 Dex, +4 familiar, +4 Improved Initiative)

because it's relevant exactly once each combat, and effects that would change it will either happen (and be tallied) before combat or happen during combat and be irrelevant.

I'd say a prowess bonus should certainly be added to the AC breakdown, but Initiative, at least, doesn't need it.

That said, I can't at the moment see a better way to phrase prowess feats... but I'll keep thinking.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

As long as you're redoing monsters, you might as well clarify action types that were left ambiguous (or at least required you to look at other sections of rules) in the original stat block. What kind of action (free, or standard?) does it take for the Lizard to use Shock? How do multiple Lizards work together if they have disparate Initiative?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

On lethal shock: You might also want to have options of lines between all the shocker lizards involved. If I can track down my Node Fish from the Wotc Forums I could show you how it worked, but basically anyone between the shocker lizards is injured, and when they move the lines move with them. So if you have two lizards, with an electric bolt between them, and one of them has three fighters on him, all of which avoid the other, on the other ones turn it can run around the first one, damaging all three.
    Diagram:
    F
    FSF

S

F is fighter, S shocker lizard. Then the shocker lizard with nobody attacking it can run around in a circle, zapping all of them. I'll try and track down the node fish, it had a more sophisticated version of this to look at(although I made it a few years ago, and its not very good. I ported it over from Fudge, which is the system I made it in originally, and am generally better at using).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.