New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Okay, I was just made aware of this guy: VVilderness - and everyone needs to listen to this. Apparently a solo artist with minimal equipment. He does a sort-of atmospheric post-black metal thing, and it is really, really good.
    Dude rules!!
    thanks for bringing this up, I've been digging him for a while!

So uh - it's time for top 10 lists!

Who wants to start?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sure, I'll give it a whirl. 2017 has been a great year for metal, so narrowing it down to ten records that truly deserve the highest recognition may be a bit tough, but here's my attempt.

8. Cryptic Brood - Brain Eater. Unsophisticated and plain fun Autopsy worship, with a helping of Winter to spruce things up. They pretty much nail this style of grimy death/doom with bits of crusty d-beat interspersed throughout, and the almost retro approach to production helps as well.

Choice cuts: A Box Full of Bones, Brain Eater

7. Archspire - Relentless Mutation. If you've heard anything by this band, you know exactly what to expect from this: blasty, hyperspeed technical death metal with a vocalist who sounds like Busta Rhymes learned to death growl. Definitely a record for devotees to the art of the blastbeat.

Choice cuts: Involuntary Doppelganger, Remote Tumour Seeker

6. Dying Fetus - Wrong One to **** With. It's been five years since the excellent return to form represented by Reign Supreme, so expectations were high for this one-- and Dying Fetus delivered. Maybe it's just because it's fresher, but this may actually top Reign Supreme by the slightest margin: everything you want in a Dying Fetus record, from the infectious grooves to the technical showboating, is on full display here.

Choice cuts: Induce Terror, Panic Amongst the Herd

5. Vampire - With Primeval Force. There's a pretty obvious reason why I dig this album so much: it sounds like Brodequin's take on thrash metal. I've heard comparisons drawn to Castlevania, which you can definitely hear in the band's melodic sensibilities. The songs shift from full-speed-ahead barn-burners to groovier fare, all pulled off with more or less equal aplomb.

Choice cuts: Ghoul Wind, Midnight Trial

4. Suffocation - Of the Dark Light. After the mediocrity of most of their recent albums, I wasn't at all prepared for Suffocation to drop an album as energetic and brutal as this, but boy did they do it. It's possible the recent influx of new blood has reinvigorated the band, as you can definitely hear some new ideas being played with here, but the core remains Terrance Hobbes, and his handprint is all over this. It retains the brutality and technicality of their classic albums, but sort of tackles them from a fresher thematic angle-- not sure if I'm quite phrasing that properly, but the point is, it's fantastic.

Choice cuts: Your Last Breaths, Clarity Through Deprivation

3. Decrepit Birth - Axis Mundi. Another unexpected masterpiece from a band I hadn't expected much brilliance from anymore. Axis Mundi arrives seven years after the mediocre Polarity, which I found an entirely inadequate followup to their fantastic Diminishing Between Worlds-- and along comes Axis Mundi, which possibly tops that album for Decrepit Birth's best. It's a lot more brutal than their previous fare, but the focus is still on those insanely technical but catchy melodic riffs they've always trafficked in.

Choice cuts: The Sacred Geometry, Hieroglyphics

2. Satan's Hallow - Self-titled. Traditional heavy metal isn't really my thing, but I really enjoyed this album when it came out and my fondness for it has only grown since then. A lot of that is down to the sheer charisma of the vocalist, but the riffs themselves are great, especially when they bust out those twin guitar leads, and they keep things varied between Judas Priest-style rockers, driving Mercyful Fate stuff, and slower, more atmospheric fare. Just really good, really fun heavy metal.

Choice Cuts: Beyond the Bells, Black Angel

1. Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness. Hadn't even heard of this band before this year, but man, this record really knocked me off my feet. It's blackened thrash with a Motorhead attitude, but it's a bit more sophisticated than your basic Bathory worship-- partially thanks to the solos on this thing, which are absolutely phenomenal and worth hearing all their own. The riffs more than hold their own, of course, and I dig the hell out of the vocals, particularly during the choruses, which are just contagious. Listen to the chorus of Demdike and tell me that isn't the raddest thing you've heard all year.

Choice cuts: Anneliese, Within the Everlasting Hellfire

... turns out I could only really think of eight records that really seemed like album of the year materiel. The rest were, at best, pretty good but flawed. This year had some disappointments, like the new Iron Reagan (I felt like it totally lacked the memorability of the previous album), The Eclipse (I keep trying to find decent melodic death metal but this just sounded like a movie score with some screams over the top of it), and the debut from a slam band called Analepsy (slam death metal bands really need to drop the overly polished production jobs, they totally kill the fun of slam). But on the whole, pretty good year for metal, in my estimation.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2017-11-18 at 04:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

3. - Top - End - #63

Sure there's a new Godflesh out, and it's nice and all, but how did I not know that there was a new Jesu in September? It is amazing!

(I like Jesu WAY more than Godflesh)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Dude rules!!
    thanks for bringing this up, I've been digging him for a while!

So uh - it's time for top 10 lists!

Who wants to start?
    No it isn't. You're being that guy that puts up Christmas decorations before we're even through Thanksgiving.

I've got some idea of what my list will be, but with all the great stuff that's come out this year, I've still got a fair bit of listening yet to do before settling on a top 10. Give me a month or so.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a rough breakdown with more details to come:

1. Subrosa - Subdued Live At Roadburn
    2. Pallbearer - Heartless
    3. Chrch/Fister - Split
    4. Primitive Man - Caustic
    5. White Ward - Futility Report
    6. Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper
    7. 1476 - Our Season Draws Near
    8. Crypt Rot - Embryonic Devils
    9. Bloodmoon/Trapped Within Burning Machinery - Split
    10. Spirit Adrift - Curse Of Conception
    11. High Priestess - Demo
    12. Archspire - Relentless Mutation
    13. Full Of Hell - Trumpeting Ecstasy
    14. Monarch! - Never Forever
    15. Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors Of Unbeing

Might shift a little bit but that's what I'm feeling. Thoughts?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Still a bit early, but I'm not expecting much for the rest of the year. It's been a weird year; the albums I was expecting mostly didn't amaze me, but there were some really great releases from new bands (or bands I'd never heard of). But I'll take a crack at a list.

Aeternam - Ruins of Empires: The one album I was really looking forward to. It's great; it's a perfect continuation of Moongod. Love the Middle Eastern vibe, the production is great and music kicks ass. They might be moving a bit too much into the orchestral direction, but for now it's great.

Enslaved - E: Like, Enslaved is always good. In Times was great, but it didn't change much from what they were doing previously. E is a definite evolution, and I really like it. Next time they can take even more chances. (Also, honourable shout-out to Bardspec - Hydrogen; Ivar Bjornson's dark ambient side project. Seriously, it's really really good).

Foscor - Les Irreals Visions: Never knew about these guys. Catalan progressive post-metal. They remind me of Obsidian Kingdom, in that each song is kinda unique. I haven't really been able to stop listening to this album.

Lethe - First Corpse on the Moon: Yeah, it's only sort-of metal. It's sort of avant-garde trip-hop post-whatever. Doesn't matter, it's still great. I keep saying; Anna Murphy's voice is seriously good.

Mastodon - Emperor of Sand: I was kinda skeptic of this album. Their previous album didn't do much for me, and the promos didn't do much to make me excited. But then I listened to the rest of it, and it was great. Even the more poppy parts have grown on me, and I love that they're using all three vocalists again.

Myrkur - Mareridt: Didn't expect this to be on my list, but here we are. While the black metal parts are nothing spectacular, I really like the more dark ambient parts she's bringing in. Honestly, if she wants to go full-Chelsea Wolfe, I'd be pretty happy.

Need - Hegaiamas: Never heard of them before this album. Greek prog metal. I know nothing about them except the music is great, the vocals are amazing, and I haven't heard prog metal this good in a long while.

Sun of the Sleepless - To The Elements: Sort-of a blackened (?) gothic metal thing going on here. I was actually surprised at how good this is. Don't really know why, but I keep coming back for more.

Ulver - The Assassination of Julius Caesar: Ulver's going full pop. But the music is still pretty moody and Garm's voice just gets better with age. I honestly don't know what Ulver will do next and I love it.

Unleash the Archers - Apex: Okay, this band has no right to be as good as they are. It's cheesy, over the top power metal, except it's really really well done. The vocals are great, the music keeps stepping up and they're reaching Sabaton-levels of sing-alongness. It's great.

Edit: oh! almost forgot Katla. - Móđurástin: Icelandlic atmospheric black metal in the realm of Sólstafir. It's quite similar, but it is so much better than Sólstafir's recent album. It's moody, it's melanchoic, it's great. They're going to do good things, I'm sure.

1. Subrosa - Subdued Live At Roadburn
    A live album at #1 - what's happening to the world :O I'll have to check that out tho
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2017-11-24 at 05:17 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Aeternam - Ruins of Empires: The one album I was really looking forward to. It's great; it's a perfect continuation of Moongod. Love the Middle Eastern vibe, the production is great and music kicks ass. They might be moving a bit too much into the orchestral direction, but for now it's great.
    I'l have to check this out.

Mastodon - Emperor of Sand: I was kinda skeptic of this album. Their previous album didn't do much for me, and the promos didn't do much to make me excited. But then I listened to the rest of it, and it was great. Even the more poppy parts have grown on me, and I love that they're using all three vocalists again.
    Saw them live last week. The three vocalists thing really works well but the rest of their new stuff really doesn't impress that much compared to their older stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

A live album at #1 - what's happening to the world :O I'll have to check that out tho
    Call me when other bands are half as good.
    My Metal Blog

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

First time posting in this thread, but I just have to see if any of y'all have heard of the band Crom. The German viking metal band, not the LA band known for their ridiculous live performances (or so the internet tells me). The only person I know who's ever even heard of Crom is my brother, and he introduced me to them (him, I guess; it's a solo act by one Walter Grosse), but I don't have any friends who are big into metal, really.
    Also, he just put out a new album, so that's why Crom is on my mind.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GimpNugs View Post
    First time posting in this thread, but I just have to see if any of y'all have heard of the band Crom. The German viking metal band, not the LA band known for their ridiculous live performances (or so the internet tells me). The only person I know who's ever even heard of Crom is my brother, and he introduced me to them (him, I guess; it's a solo act by one Walter Grosse), but I don't have any friends who are big into metal, really.
    Also, he just put out a new album, so that's why Crom is on my mind.
    OOOH! Haven't thought about him in a while, that Vengeance record is tight!!
    My Metal Blog

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

OOOH! Haven't thought about him in a while, that Vengeance record is tight!!
    Ya know, I kinda figured you'd have heard of Crom. Also, there's a good reason for not thinking about him in a long time; it's been 6 years since his last album release, and 3 years since his last public contact with the music world. He just released his third album, When Northmen Die, practically out of the blue. It's a pretty good album, I guess, but it could've been great if he hadn't ruined a few songs with poorly thought out voice-overs and the like. I'd say it's worth a listen, but it's not on any streaming services or iTunes Music or anything like that. You pretty much have to buy straight from the label.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I thought I knew of Crom. But then I realised I was thinking of Sons of Crom. But then I saw that the link to it on Metal Archives was orange, which means I'd at least checked it out before. Anyway, time to re-acquaint myself, I guess.

New Jess and the Ancient Ones out. Great music, they're doing more psychedelic 70s rock these days. Love the vibe.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

New Jess and the Ancient Ones out. Great music, they're doing more psychedelic 70s rock these days. Love the vibe.
    This band is so good. I'm really thrilled at how they accurately call up the 70s vibe. So many bands are just pretenders, but Jess & The Ancient Ones really pull up the vibe.
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #74

Related to Crom
    Associative Pittsburgh nonsense to follow:
    My friend Shy (lead singer of local doom band Horehound and solo ambient project O Heidrun, which is way more my cup of tea) the a day long fest called the Descendants of Crom. Mostly doom, and pretty well received.
    Years ago she and I both played with Chuck Owston's Bonfire Night (her on vox, me on bass, keys, guitar, whatever he wanted at the time). That band started as folk, went goth, then blues rock for a time, then ending up at barbarian/battle metal. In that incarnation, one on his songs was "forged on the anvil of Crom". Because, as it turns out, everyone likes Conan.
    I was mostly out of the band by the time the album happened, but playing in an acoustic version. The bassist wasn't confident enough to play one of the songs, so I got called in to pinch hit. While in the studio, I heard playback on a few other songs. On one of them, the bassist absolutely failed to follow the really simple three note riff in the chorus of one of the songs. I didn't want to step on toes (or join the band full time), but I couldn't let that pass. So I over-played bass on that: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_...7oN6Gsr7Tpn9Mw I probably should have played on the whole record; there was too much chord strumming and not enough riffing to sound really metal, but on the other hand, I'm not sure my Jack Bruce-esq bass necessarily helped.

These days Chuck is doing cigar-box guitar traditional blues, so pretty far from my tastes, but Shy is still keeping it heavy.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Shy is the coolest - I'm working with her on getting some bands on her festival for 2018. She does a lot of good stuff. I'm glad you know her Josh and I'm stoked on this weird piece of Pittsburgh scene history!

Seems like we have a lot to discuss when I'm out by you in August!
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #76

Glad to hear you're working with Shy! She is, indeed, the best! Definitely let me know when you'll be around town!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Meanwhile I'm just lurking here in the background, checking out all the bands you guys mention

Horehound is absolutely amazing. Never heard of them before but damn that is some good doom. Sounds quite a bit like Alunah, and I love Alunah.

Also that dark ambient or w/e project is something else. That's some hard listening right there... but I think I like it?

18. - Top - End - #78

Legendary vocalistWarrel Dane of Nevermore and Sanctuary died of a heart attack earlier today. Very sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Horehound is absolutely amazing. Never heard of them before but damn that is some good doom. Sounds quite a bit like Alunah, and I love Alunah.
    Horehound is one of my favorites on the East Coast. I'm curious for them to start really moving and shaking! They could go places.
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quick thing. Do we have any fans in the house who have access too, or might be willing to create, a 1 or 2 hour loop of this song, with the caveat that it start from and loop from about the 40 second mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBvWryPqr2I

I'm asking cause I'm gonna be running a session this Thursday, the party is going to be fighting there first boss battle, and I feel like this would be a good bit of music to have in the back ground for that.
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Quick thing. Do we have any fans in the house who have access too, or might be willing to create, a 1 or 2 hour loop of this song, with the caveat that it start from and loop from about the 40 second mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBvWryPqr2I

I'm asking cause I'm gonna be running a session this Thursday, the party is going to be fighting there first boss battle, and I feel like this would be a good bit of music to have in the back ground for that.
    Dallas Dakota maybe? He's good at that sort of stuff.
    My Metal Blog

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Alright. Been putting it off, but I think it's high time I got around to my year end list. Here we go...

WhamBamSam's top albums of 2017, or [Subgenre]? In MY List?

It's more likely than you think, apparently. My list contains several entries, including my AotY, from subgenres that I had previously not been as keen on. I don't know if it means I'm broadening my horizons, or simply that there were a number of anomalous quality albums this year in those subgenres, but I do know that these albums kick ass. Spots 1-7 are more solid than the latter albums, which, along with the HMs could be permuted more or less any which way you like and still come up with a list I was happy with.

Honorable Mentions
    Byzantine - The Cicada Tree
    The Faceless - In Becoming A Ghost
    Venenum - Trance of Death

15. Vhäldemar - Against All Kings: Power metal that's dumb, but fun, but dumb, but fun, but dumb. This is the guilty pleasure album of the year for me. The honorable mention albums are probably all more deserving of praise (Venenum in particular, which is at times absolutely fantastic, ambitious in scope, and admirable in direction, but loses me in places), but Against All Kings just gives me the warm fuzzies inside, so I'm making it the cutoff point for my list. The Udo Dirkschneider-style singing isn't my favorite vocal style, but given the strength and infectiousness of the songwriting, I've learned to *ahem* accept it. (Hail! You are the best!)

14. Vexovoid - Call of the Starforger: A late release of quality Vektor-core. It doesn't quite have the sticking power to be Terminal Redux Redux for me, at least not yet, but that album (as well as others in Vektor's back catalog) grew on me a lot over repeat listens, and my first impressions of Call of the Starforger have been positive enough to squeeze it in here toward the tail end of my list. (Recycling systems for energy, new constellations)

13. Madrost - The Essence of Time Matches No Flesh: The year's other space thrash release, which sounds like Vektor's spaceship crash landed on a planet populated by the aliens from every tech death album cover ever and rapidly adapted to breathe the atmosphere. (Reflections of an abstract world assume control)

12. Hyperion - Dangerous Days: A trad metal album from Italy that dropped last month to little fanfare, even on the site where I read a review for it, but I gotta say, I really like this one. Noticable accents can either add character to a vocal performance or detract from it immensely, and Michelangelo Carano's fall very much into the former category delivering a memorable performance backed up by strong melodic riffing. Varied lyrics spanning topics from sci-fi to cage fighting and a rather charming production tie everything together with a pulpy, old school vibe that gets my various horns up. (Like a candle blazing brighter)

11. Aeternam - Ruins of Empires: Middle eastern metal with plenty of hooks. Not much more to say about this one, but I enjoyed it a lot. (Wake me from life, take me to heaven)

10. Buried Realm - The Ichor Carcinoma: Melodic tech death with clean vocal hooks that would get the guy behind the project poached by mainstream rock radio if there were any money with which to do so in this day and age. It doesn't have quite the same street cred of the other tech death album with clean vocals on my list, but this (along with Byzantine) is the clear standout of the more broish side of metal in 2017. (How can you sleep tonight, when you've never been truly awake?)

9. Sorcerer - The Crowning of the Fire King: Sing-along doom with big fun riffs and vocal melodies that at times recall Symphony X. (Dreaming, will I wake up again?)

8. Inconcessus Lux Lucis - The Crowning Quietus: I have a deep, longstanding disinterest in black metal, and while it has receded somewhat in recent years to allow for some appreciation of blackened elements in other subgenres, but this is the most black metal of a record that I've ever really liked. It's true there's a fair bit of classic metal riffing and bluesy soloing spicing up The Crowning Quietus, but I find myself really digging the overtly black metal tremolo riffs as well. This album makes me feel the way I did when first getting into death metal. (At the behest of the sinister impulse)

7. Havok - Conformicide: In accordance with forum rules against discussing real world politics, I can't say everything I'd like to about this album. Suffice to say, I have some issues with it both musically and lyrically, but overall it was an album that I really needed in 2017 on both fronts. (A mental revolution is just what we all need)

6. Satan's Hallow - Satan's Hallow: Comrade has been on point this year in both list and recommendations. In a year where I've been more captivated by genres that usually aren't my thing, this album reaffirmed my faith in trad metal through sheer energy and infectiousness. (If you listen at night, you can still hear her name through the breeze)

5. Spirit Adrift - Curse of Conception: I was bitten by the doom bug a bit last year, but this was the year that it really dug in. Everything that everyone else seemed to get from Hunted last year, but didn't quite, I got from Curse of Conception this year and then some. Combining all the melody, feeling, and power that I'd come to appreciate in doom with flourishes of prog musicianship and variation for something that speaks to me on just about every level. (Learn to fly on broken wings)

4. Replacire - Do Not Deviate: The album I've always wanted The Faceless to make without even realizing it (the album The Faceless actually made was also pretty cool, but too weird to be something I could have previously conceived of wanting). Phylacteries of Demilich and Revocation and surprising and interesting clean vocal hooks throughout elevate this from merely high quality tech death to something that grabbed me and didn't let go. (Higher than life and pain)

3. Lör - In Forgotten Sleep: The folky bits of this record strongly remind me of my favorite film scores and video game soundtracks, but there's more than just nostalgia at play here. In Forgotten Sleep also has some of the best riffs and most spectacular soloing I've heard all year, with brilliant flourishes and a knack for composition that both makes the progressions more striking and preserves a sense of cohesion throughout. (And if I feared this sleep, it's because I must have known)

2. Aether Realm - Tarot: I fell in love with this record almost immediately and haven't gotten over my infatuation since. Great riffs and songwriting combine with affecting, memorable lyricism to make this not only the sing/growl along album of this year, but one which stands head and shoulders above the works of comparable acts. Aether Realm utterly eclipse Wintersun, can drink the likes of Alestorm and Finntroll under the table, and still go to war with Ensiferum and Bodom afterward. Tarot completely decked me. (One drink and you'll feel the magic)

1. Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness: If you had told me this time last year that a one man black metal band with an album called Coagulating Darkness would get anywhere near a year end list of mine, I'd have laughed in your face and perhaps played that one Lich King song at you until you went away. But Hellripper burst in on Comrade's second clutch recommendation of the year, snatched my gold medal and proceeded to beat me over the face with it like a proverbial mother****er. What you would have failed to mention in your prophetic whimsy, is that the one man in question, James McBain, is a man of neck-snapping riffs, blistering solos, and flat-out deranged snarling vocals, and that the black metal darkness coagulates only after precipitating out of a high speed thrash vortex that distills everything fun about Venom and Motörhead down to its purest form. I haven't had this much fun with a straight up black thrash/speed metal record since ever. (Total mayhem with satanic might)
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2017-12-26 at 11:13 AM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Hey guys, I have a completely unrelated question to whatever the current topic is, but I have unironically and non condescendingly have dubbed you here as the experts of this subject.

You might not even know about this if you live in Europe. I heard the metal scene is different there.

So about three years ago, I got into metal. Sure, I heard songs from bands like Metallica that I liked, but never got into it. Then one day, after working out, these guys I was working out with showed me a song from the band Sabaton (I remember it was Panzerkampf). The band got me interested in metal, but it wasn't the metal I was used to finding. I found out that they were a power metal band. I then soon found other power metal bands that I liked, and can unofficially call myself a power metal fan.

However, when I talked to most other metalheads around me, they thought it was funny that I liked power metal, and told me that I need to listen to "real music" (as in more extreme metal, such as black metal).

I don't care about changing their minds. Everyone has their own tastes. What I'm wondering is why is there this stigma in the metal community against power metal?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

24. - Top - End - #84

Simply elitism. MY metal is way more metal than YOUR baby metal. :p

I suspect it's the same everywhere. I live in Scandinavia (northern Europe) and have had very similar experiences. Best to just ignore it, and listen to what you like, and not try to force yourself like what you just... don't. Your taste in metal might evolve into something more extreme later on, or it might not.

It's good to try new things every now and then, though. (or I'd still listen to things like Glenn Medeiros, whom I loved as a kid.. *shudder* ) Secretly, I still like hiiimmm
    Last edited by thirsting; 2017-12-29 at 06:19 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Simply elitism. MY metal is way more metal than YOUR baby metal. :p

I suspect it's the same everywhere. I live in Scandinavia (northern Europe) and have had very similar experiences. Best to just ignore it, and listen to what you like, and not try to force yourself like what you just... don't. Your taste in metal might evolve into something more extreme later on, or it might not.

It's good to try new things every now and then, though. (or I'd still listen to things like Glenn Medeiros, whom I loved as a kid.. *shudder* ) Secretly, I still like hiiimmm
    That makes sense. I do also listen to other metal subgenres sometimes, and try to explore new genres. It's just that I'm relatively new to the metal subculture, and I didn't know that certain subgenres were generally looked down upon by a large part of the fanbase.

I shouldn't be surprised, though. A lot of other music fandoms have similar elitism (check out the country music fanbase for reference)

I don't care if they like a certain music or not. Again, everyone has their own tastes. I'll keep listening to songs about epic battles of glory and steel. (Yes, I do know how dumb that sentence sounds)
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

26. - Top - End - #86

No blasts, no slams, no gutturals... What's the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

I started with Iron Maiden and then listened to melodic and symphonic metal, and later to doom/gothic. In practice, this means that I still consider melody the most relevant force in a song.

However, others think that melody is corny, cheap, and childish. Instead, they go for atmosphere, or for song texts (if melody is the objective, lyrics tend to suffer).

Others just think that metal should be angry, negative, and depressed, and that happy metal just isn't metal. There is a music theory thing with major vs minor keys, where minor is sad and major is happy. This doesn't always apply, but it would be interesting to compare the relative quantity of songs in major vs minor in power vs death/black metal.

Others still think that metal needs to be xxxtreme, that it should be a constant run towards more loud, shouty, growling, cacophonic madness of physical and psychological devastation, and increasing blasphemy.
    Power metal, with its interest towards fantasy themes, doesn't really ask you to change reality. It's actually quite narrative ("I slew a dragon"), while other genres are more imperative ("burn stuff") or descriptive ("this life sucks").

This last fact actually can cut both ways. So I like groups that are called power metal (Sonata Arctica, which actually self-identified as melodic, or Angra), but I don't like Sabaton, because they narrate WW2 like a fantasy myth, which, for me, is intellectually intolerable.

And then some simply like certain stylistic elements which are found in metal, but not in power metal, so they don't see a reason to listen to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I started with Iron Maiden and then listened to melodic and symphonic metal, and later to doom/gothic. In practice, this means that I still consider melody the most relevant force in a song.

However, others think that melody is corny, cheap, and childish. Instead, they go for atmosphere, or for song texts (if melody is the objective, lyrics tend to suffer).

Others just think that metal should be angry, negative, and depressed, and that happy metal just isn't metal. There is a music theory thing with major vs minor keys, where minor is sad and major is happy. This doesn't always apply, but it would be interesting to compare the relative quantity of songs in major vs minor in power vs death/black metal.

Others still think that metal needs to be xxxtreme, that it should be a constant run towards more loud, shouty, growling, cacophonic madness of physical and psychological devastation, and increasing blasphemy.
    Power metal, with its interest towards fantasy themes, doesn't really ask you to change reality. It's actually quite narrative ("I slew a dragon"), while other genres are more imperative ("burn stuff") or descriptive ("this life sucks").

This last fact actually can cut both ways. So I like groups that are called power metal (Sonata Arctica, which actually self-identified as melodic, or Angra), but I don't like Sabaton, because they narrate WW2 like a fantasy myth, which, for me, is intellectually intolerable.

And then some simply like certain stylistic elements which are found in metal, but not in power metal, so they don't see a reason to listen to it.
    Pretty much this. I love power metal for its inherent corniness but I also admit to myself that a song like Hammerfalls "Living In Victory" a personal favorite is basically a fun silly over the top banger and isn't making a greater comment about life.

A lot of these bands take a queue from KISS - it's meant to be a little silly. I personally love that.
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    No blasts, no slams, no gutturals... What's the point?
    Sure, but can you play a guitar this fast?

Also, everyone knows you can't fight the forces of darkness while growling. Everyone knows that. We also all know that only higher pitched vocals will kill dragons. This is all pretty much science.

In case you're looking to make a serious counter argument, it's just a joke.

30. - Top - End - #90

*nod nod* ^^

Found this just moments ago.. :
    Spoiler: Myrkur - Ulvinde
    Show
    Last edited by thirsting; 2018-01-02 at 06:36 PM.
    Well that was awkward.