New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1578
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Q503:

If a Leopard with Scout levels pounced would it get the Scouts precision damage to all 5 Bite/Claw/Claw/Rake/Rake attacks (assuming the grapple check succeeds).

Thanks
    Stephen

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Troll in the Playground

A. 503

Yes.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Halfling in the Playground

Q504:

Does an Antimagic Field block line of effect (i.e. can spells be cast through an Antimagic Field the way they can be cast through a Globe of Invulnerability)?

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

A. 504

Yes, any magical effect entering the area wink out of existence.

If the duration of said effect is longer that the duration of the Antimagic Field the effect will come back into the existence and may proceed through the field.
    LLS

5. - Top - End - #1355

Q505:
    Hopefully this isn't to complex.

a) What happens if a Large creature bullrushes a medium creature standing by another medium creature (i.e. a 10' passage with two M creature standing side-by-side blocking the passage).

b) If 2 med creatures are standing together can a large creature make a melee charge attack against 1 and a bullrush charge attack against the other.

c) When doing a bullrush as a standard action can you still make a melee attack. (I think the answer is no, but I've never used bullrush so I want to make sure of everything).

Thanks
    Stephen

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

Q. 506 ... or so

I'm building a druid. I want to emphasize melee and and versatility - I do not want to cast spells in forms, and I do not want to expand my wild shape options into various levels of strangeness. Hence, I don't need natural spell or it's various synergic additions, nor do I need prestige classes or the like.

What I need are feats that are useful for this sort of character, and ... because I read a lot but buy a bit less, I know the feats I want, but not necessarily their exact wording, or where to find them.

There is a feat that gives a +4 flanking bonus - can anyone tell me it's name, where to find it, or maybe just the wording?

Can anyone tell me the prerequisites for Oaken Resilience and Elephant Hide?

What book is Improved Natural Attack from?

Same for Lion's Pounce?

If anyone has additional suggestions, those are welcome too.

It seems possible that my questions are completely misplaced in this thread - in that case I humbly appologise. Also, my soon-to-be-DM will likely read this - so hi Ian :p

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Troll in the Playground

A. 505

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_E View Post
    Q505:

a) What happens if a Large creature bullrushes a medium creature standing by another medium creature (i.e. a 10' passage with two M creature standing side-by-side blocking the passage).
    The large creature can still push the medium creature 5 feet back but will be unable to move with the medium creature to push it back further.

You could make house rules for trying to bull rush both creatures at the same time or perhaps overrunning one while bull rushing the other.

b) If 2 med creatures are standing together can a large creature make a melee charge attack against 1 and a bullrush charge attack against the other.
    Bull Rush is a standard action by itself, so unless the creature somehow could make two standard actions in a round that would not be possible.

c) When doing a bullrush as a standard action can you still make a melee attack. (I think the answer is no, but I've never used bullrush so I want to make sure of everything).
    No, you cannot normally make an additional attack in the same round you also take a standard action.
    LLS

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Troll in the Playground

A. 506

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    Q. 506 ... or so

I'm building a druid. I want to emphasize melee and and versatility - I do not want to cast spells in forms, and I do not want to expand my wild shape options into various levels of strangeness. Hence, I don't need natural spell or it's various synergic additions, nor do I need prestige classes or the like.

What I need are feats that are useful for this sort of character, and ... because I read a lot but buy a bit less, I know the feats I want, but not necessarily their exact wording, or where to find them.

There is a feat that gives a +4 flanking bonus - can anyone tell me it's name, where to find it, or maybe just the wording?

Can anyone tell me the prerequisites for Oaken Resilience and Elephant Hide?

What book is Improved Natural Attack from?

Same for Lion's Pounce?

If anyone has additional suggestions, those are welcome too.

It seems possible that my questions are completely misplaced in this thread - in that case I humbly appologise. Also, my soon-to-be-DM will likely read this - so hi Ian :p
    This thread is mostly simple questions and answers. Build suggestions and discussion of builds are better suited for a separate thread.

Some of your questions could be answered in this thread though. Improved Natural Attack, for instance, can be found in the Monster Manual.

The three other feats can be found in Complete Divine:

Elephant Hide (Complete Divine, page 81)
    Oaken Resilience (Complete Divine, page 82)
    Lion's Pounce (Complete Divine, page 82)
    Vexing Flanker (PHB II, page 85)

Improved Flanking is a class ability for the Swashbuckler that also grants +4 to flanking.

Edit: Thank you Charity.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-08-22 at 07:50 AM.
    LLS

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

A 506

Oooo I know something Silvanos forgot

Feat - Vexing Flanker is in the PHB II if you're looking for a +4 flanking bonus
    I cannot tell you about its prerequisite as it is not in the SRD
    another feat I would recomend for you though would be this one which fortunately is.

and there was much celibration and rejoicing... quite disproportionate to the actual achievement
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Charity; 2007-08-22 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

10. - Top - End - #1360

Quote:Q505 b) If 2 med creatures are standing together can a large creature make a melee charge attack against 1 and a bullrush charge attack against the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    A. 505

Bull Rush is a standard action by itself, so unless the creature somehow could make two standard actions in a round that would not be possible.
    Yes, but I'm talking about bullrushing as part of a Charge action. A Charge been a full round attack. From reading it I thought a Charge action allowed you to make a Melee attack as well as a Bull Rush.
    ---- From the SRD
    Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    --------------
    I interpreted this as indicating that when Charging you could make a single melee attack AND a Bull Rush, but no matter what your BAB you could only make a single melee attack (other than special feats/class abilities such as pounce).
    Am I misunderstanding things?

Stephen

11. - Top - End - #1361

Originally Posted by Stephen_E
    Q505:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    A. 505

The large creature can still push the medium creature 5 feet back but will be unable to move with the medium creature to push it back further.

You could make house rules for trying to bull rush both creatures at the same time or perhaps overrunning one while bull rushing the other.
    The problem I have is that Bull Rush say you have to enter the square that your target is occupying. But in the situation I posit the large creature can't enter the space of it's target without also entering the space of the adjacent creature.
    ----------from the SRD
    Initiating a Bull Rush

First, you move into the defender’s space.
    -----------------

Apologies if I'm been dense, althought this probably explains why I've never used Bull Rush before. I find the rules a touch vague for actual practical use, i.e. large & strong creature bullrushing smaller creatures.

Stephen

12. - Top - End - #1362

A505 commentary

I think this starts to fall under the same problem I had with the large creature closing in for melee vs. a reach weapon. The system was designed for small or medium sized creature and works well for that, but when you start using large sized creatures, and force them into box shapes, the system tends to break down. To that end, I believe that goes beyond the scope of simple and falls into the hands of the specific DM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote:Q505 b) If 2 med creatures are standing together can a large creature make a melee charge attack against 1 and a bullrush charge attack against the other.

Yes, but I'm talking about bullrushing as part of a Charge action. A Charge been a full round attack. From reading it I thought a Charge action allowed you to make a Melee attack as well as a Bull Rush.
    ---- From the SRD
    Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    --------------
    I interpreted this as indicating that when Charging you could make a single melee attack AND a Bull Rush, but no matter what your BAB you could only make a single melee attack (other than special feats/class abilities such as pounce).
    Am I misunderstanding things?

Stephen
    Stephen, did not we already go through this?

See also the following posts:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=551
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=552
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=553
    LLS

14. - Top - End - #1364

Q 507

What are the RAW rules for sundering a creature's natural weapon, like a tentacle, not a bite?

Is it "can't unless the creature specifically allows for it in description?" See Hydra for example.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground

A. 507

You answered it yourself.
    LLS

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Troll in the Playground

The problem I have is that Bull Rush say you have to enter the square that your target is occupying. But in the situation I posit the large creature can't enter the space of it's target without also entering the space of the adjacent creature.
    ----------from the SRD
    Initiating a Bull Rush

First, you move into the defender’s space.
    -----------------

Apologies if I'm been dense, althought this probably explains why I've never used Bull Rush before. I find the rules a touch vague for actual practical use, i.e. large & strong creature bullrushing smaller creatures.

Stephen
    I have edited my original post.

See also the links I provided above to our previous discussion.
    LLS

17. - Top - End - #1367

Q 508

Since sunder won't reliably stop natural weapons, what are some RAW ways to prevent a creature from using a natural attack (like a tentacle, not a bite)?

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Troll in the Playground

A. 508 Partial

This is quite a broad question.

Apart from incapacitating the creature in some way you could try to avoid detection via invisibility effects or by getting behind cover (such as that provided by a towers shield) or simply out of reach.

You could employ effects that won't necessarily prevent the creature from attacking you, but would give it an incentive not to, such as Fire Shield and similar.

My guess is that none of the above really is what you are looking for though.
    LLS

19. - Top - End - #1369

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    Q 508

Since sunder won't reliably stop natural weapons, what are some RAW ways to prevent a creature from using a natural attack (like a tentacle, not a bite)?
    A 508, More Partial

Almost any way to stop a normal weapon attack will stop a natural weapon attack. Paralyzing a creature will stop it from attacking. So will charming it, or putting it to sleep.

However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-08-22 at 10:42 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

A 508 (suplimentary sarcasm)
    Add the corpse template to the creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 509
    Antilife shell - it prevents living creatures from entering. What about leaving? If i cast the antilife shell and i cover one unfortunate "livee" by it, can it exit it?

Q. 510
    Grapple rules continued:
    - if i have improved grab and three natural attacks along with a BAB of 6, and succeed on a grapple check with first of my attacks in a full attack routine - can i do ANYTHING in this round? Like try the "attack in grapple" once (due to BAB), or, well, do anything? What kind of actions would i be allowed to do in such situation?

Q. 511
    Say an unfortunate adventurer (size medium) has fallen into a 2x2 pit with gelatinous cube at the bottom, is now automaticly engulfed and has managed to make his paralysis save. His friends above toss him one end of the line that goes down to the bottom. Part of the line inside the cube gets damaged, but is not dissolved completely (1d6=1, damn it). Could he at his next initiative count reach the part of the line above the cube somehow? (he's afraid that the line would dissolve before his comerades can pull him out)

Q. 512
    - Is one considered flatfooted, or otherwise hampered, when jumping down and receiving AoO due to entering someone's threatened area with a jump?

- Is one considered flatfooted, or otherwise hampered, when falling down and receiving AoO due to entering someone's threatened area?

Q. 513
    If two characters occupy the same space (say a 5ftx5ft pit with one medium character at the bottom, and another one falls into it), what are their relative penalties? Should grapple rules - small weapons only, -4 to hit - be considered when calculating to_hit penalties?

Q. 514
    What about two characters (say a medium one and a tiny one) just occupying the same square? Does the tiny one gain soft cover from the outside world due to the medium one being in his square? Does the tiny one gain the soft cover relative to the medium character? Or does it depend on the size of the medium character's belly?

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 515
    Can one make 5ft adjustement underwater? What if he's walking on the bottom?

Q. 516
    Oh and the last one for a time - can one perform coup de grace on a tied up prisoner?
    Last edited by Alveanerle; 2007-08-23 at 07:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alveanerle View Post
    Q. 509
    Antilife shell - it prevents living creatures from entering. What about leaving? If i cast the antilife shell and i cover one unfortunate "livee" by it, can it exit it?
    It only prevents entry, so creatures are free to leave.

Q. 510
    Grapple rules continued:
    - if i have improved grab and three natural attacks along with a BAB of 6, and succeed on a grapple check with first of my attacks in a full attack routine - can i do ANYTHING in this round? Like try the "attack in grapple" once (due to BAB), or, well, do anything? What kind of actions would i be allowed to do in such situation?
    Grapple checks are made in place of attacks and is based on BAB, so you can make two grapple actions in a round if you have a BAB of +6.
    Assuming you do not try to use the Improved Grab to conduct the grapple separately at -20, you would still be able to take another grapple action or attack you opponent.

Q. 511
    Say an unfortunate adventurer (size medium) has fallen into a 2x2 pit with gelatinous cube at the bottom, is now automaticly engulfed and has managed to make his paralysis save. His friends above toss him one end of the line that goes down to the bottom. Part of the line inside the cube gets damaged, but is not dissolved completely (1d6=1, damn it). Could he at his next initiative count reach the part of the line above the cube somehow? (he's afraid that the line would dissolve before his comerades can pull him out)
    He probably could if he beats the Cube in an escape from grapple check.

Q. 512
    - Is one considered flatfooted, or otherwise hampered, when jumping down and receiving AoO due to entering someone's threatened area with a jump?

- Is one considered flatfooted, or otherwise hampered, when falling down and receiving AoO due to entering someone's threatened area?
    No, there is no mention in teh skill description unlike for Climb.

Q. 513
    If two characters occupy the same space (say a 5ftx5ft pit with one medium character at the bottom, and another one falls into it), what are their relative penalties? Should grapple rules - small weapons only, -4 to hit - be considered when calculating to_hit penalties?
    It is not covered by the RAW, but it seems reasonable.

Q. 514
    What about two characters (say a medium one and a tiny one) just occupying the same square? Does the tiny one gain soft cover from the outside world due to the medium one being in his square? Does the tiny one gain the soft cover relative to the medium character? Or does it depend on the size of the medium character's belly?
    The Tiny creature would have soft cover against outsiders (not only the type), but not against the creature it shares teh square, regardless of belly size.
    LLS

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Troll in the Playground

Q. 515
    Can one make 5ft adjustement underwater? What if he's walking on the bottom?
    Only if the creature's movement is unhampered. (i.e. Swim speed or freedom of movement effect)

Q. 516
    Oh and the last one for a time - can one perform coup de grace on a tied up prisoner?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Helpless: A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound,...
    (My emphasis)
    LLS

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hereby promise to never make promises anymore. Two very short ones.

Q. 516
    If one uses a weapon with additional damage dice (say a flaming longsword) for his sunder attempt - does he add the additional damage (1d6 fire in this case, halved for it being fire damage vs objects) to the normal hit damage, or is the additonal damage treated separately (and thus failing to penetrate most of hardness values and be efficiently lost).

Q. 517
    Just to make sure. A bastard sword (threat range 19-20) treated with an Improved Critical(bastard swords) feat - that would be 18-20 or 17-20 critical threat range?

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

I hereby promise to never make promises anymore. Two very short ones.
    I would rather you would observe the numbering of questions (in particular your own).

A. 517

Q. 517
    Just to make sure. A bastard sword (threat range 19-20) treated with an Improved Critical(bastard swords) feat - that would be 18-20 or 17-20 critical threat range?
    The threat range is doubles, so that would be a threat on 17-18-19-20 (17-20), instead of just on 19-20.

A. 518 (say)

Q. 516
    If one uses a weapon with additional damage dice (say a flaming longsword) for his sunder attempt - does he add the additional damage (1d6 fire in this case, halved for it being fire damage vs objects) to the normal hit damage, or is the additonal damage treated separately (and thus failing to penetrate most of hardness values and be efficiently lost).
    Yes, energy effects are in addition to the normal weapon damage and should be treated separately.
    LLS

27. - Top - End - #1377

NinjaGuy

Q. 517
    A. 517
    Since the normal threat range on a bastard sword is two numbers (19 and 20) the expanded range would be four numbers: 17, 18, 19, and 20.

Edit: damn beholder ninjas

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 519
    Do metabreath feats require that the character or monster take a full-round action to use its breath weapon?

Q. 520
    This question is about the Hammer Fist feat (Dragon Compendium, Dragon #279). Can I only utilize this feat by making a single unarmed attack as a full-round action, or can I utilize it on one attack each round either as part of a full attack or as a standard action, or some other combination of limitations? The way it's worded, it sounds as though I can only use it once, ever.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

A. 519

No, Metabreath feats are usually balance by requiring the creature to wait longer before it is able to use its breath weapon again.
    LLS

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Troll in the Playground

A. 520

The restrictions seems to be that you cannot use it more than once per round and not during a FoB or if you are holding anything in your hands.

It is not listed as a standard attack action, so you could use it as part of a full attack or as a single attack.
    LLS