New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Question Monkey Grip Pathfinder

Does Monkey Grip exist in pathfinder or are there similar things that have similar actions/abilities?
    all rights reserved.
    because I can.

LN Epee wielding duelist.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Monkey Grip Pathfinder

Nope, at least not as far a I've seen. Ultimate Combat will be out in a few months, there might be something in there about it, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.
    "In times like this I ask myself - What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

You can get a close approximation by taking EWP Bastard sword, and then using a large version. You take a -2 to hit for unwieldy weapon, but the damage dice is 2d8. Not bad, and vital strike just makes it sweeter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    You can get a close approximation by taking EWP Bastard sword, and then using a large version. You take a -2 to hit for unwieldy weapon, but the damage dice is 2d8. Not bad, and vital strike just makes it sweeter.
    You wouldn't be able to use it one handed, but oh man it would be sweet with Vital Strike.
    You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Well if you're fine with being munchkinny, you can save yourself the EWP by going with a large scizore from the adventurer's armory, though it doesn't make any sense.

6. - Top - End - #6

My pathfinder group allows monkey grip.

However it doesn't help with size category. It simply allows you to wield a 2-hander in 1 hand.

You can weild an oversized weapon without taking a feat just by taking a penalty in pathfinder anyway.

Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A creature can't make optimum use of a weapon that isn't properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn't proficient with the weapon, a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

from the pathfinder SRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

As I read it actually you wouldn't even need monkey grip since a 2-hander is only 1 size category above a 1-hander.

You would need to take exotic weapon proficiency in oversized bastard sword though

7. - Top - End - #7

Daemon

I think there is also a rule, however, that states that a weapon that is too large goes up a weapon category. So, a dagger becomes one-handed, a bastard sword becomes two-handed, and a greatsword becomes unusable. That's why I recommended using the Bastard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I think there is also a rule, however, that states that a weapon that is too large goes up a weapon category. So, a dagger becomes one-handed, a bastard sword becomes two-handed, and a greatsword becomes unusable. That's why I recommended using the Bastard.
    Yes, that is true.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McSmack View Post
    You wouldn't be able to use it one handed, but oh man it would be sweet with Vital Strike.
    Sorta. Vital Strike still doesn't hold a candle to full attacks though, which would make it kinda waste of the effort
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10

There is. It's the immediate next paragraph after the part DeMouse quoted, trying to show you could do it.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder's size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all.
    You need monkey grip or similar. Maybe Ultimate Combat will have it, but otherwise you need your DM to let you port it from 3.5 or houserule away the bit I bolded.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Sorta. Vital Strike still doesn't hold a candle to full attacks though, which would make it kinda waste of the effort
    Biggest problem with vital strike is the cost. 3 feats is too much for the relatively small benefit.

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Yeah, it would be much better if it went something like:

At +11 BAB, the extra weapon dice increase to x3.
    At +16 BAB, the extra weapon dice increase to x4.

There, one feat for good standard actions. Definitely worth it.
    Also, it should work on charge attacks.
    Last edited by Curious; 2011-05-20 at 04:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeMouse View Post
    My pathfinder group allows monkey grip.

However it doesn't help with size category. It simply allows you to wield a 2-hander in 1 hand.
    You mean you've houseruled it to work like that?
    You can weild an oversized weapon without taking a feat just by taking a penalty in pathfinder anyway.
    Yes, but you can't wield a Large two-hander if you're medium, PF didn't change those limitations.
    As I read it actually you wouldn't even need monkey grip since a 2-hander is only 1 size category above a 1-hander.
    Well, you'd need Monkey Grip (the 3.5 one, not your house-ruled one) to wield a size larger two-hander, or a size larger one-hander one handed.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Biggest problem with vital strike is the cost. 3 feats is too much for the relatively small benefit.
    I still wouldn't take it if it was exactly one feat; I rather work for my full attacks than try to half-ass it for one-fifth of the damage I could do in a full attack with Vital Strike. At least that way I'm doing something.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I still wouldn't take it if it was exactly one feat; I rather work for my full attacks than try to half-ass it for one-fifth of the damage I could do in a full attack with Vital Strike. At least that way I'm doing something.
    Hey I agree I advocate giving it for free and I would probably still want it buffed even if it is free.

It is my opinion that all characters should have a viable option for their standard actions. Heck it could be variation of +1d6 damage on an attack action per point of BAB above 5.

In fact this is one of largest pet peeves about PF is that they did not fix this for all the classes as by and large all warrior type classes still suck on a standard action and after the later 3.5 stuff was finally getting around that problem I find that unconscionable.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2011-05-20 at 06:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

No Monkey Grip. Funny now that I think about it. Their Iconic Barbarian uses a Frost Giant's sword. You would think that they would have added a feat to help her overcome the penalties.

You can just add it in from the 3.5 books. Pathfinder is compatible in most regards.
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

No Monkey Grip. Funny now that I think about it. Their Iconic Barbarian uses a Frost Giant's sword. You would think that they would have added a feat to help her overcome the penalties.

You can just add it in from the 3.5 books. Pathfinder is compatible in most regards.
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Grommen View Post

They did it in exactly the way I described; EWP Bastard sword, large size.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Just stick some Stongarm Bracers (MIC) on your half giant for some truly animesque not-compinsating-for-anything Big Fracking Sword action.
    You still won't get reach though.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-05-20 at 09:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Just stick some Stongarm Bracers (MIC) on your half giant for some truly animesque not-compinsating-for-anything Big Fracking Sword action.
    You still won't get reach though.
    That's what Lunge is for.
    Last edited by Curious; 2011-05-20 at 09:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Just stick some Stongarm Bracers (MIC) on your half giant
    Powerful Build and Strongarm Bracers don't stack.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Powerful Build and Strongarm Bracers don't stack.
    They don't? Dang. Still, Strongarm Bracers are what Monkey Grip should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    Yeah, but everyone bigger than Tiny gets 10-ft reach with Lunge.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-05-20 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

23. - Top - End - #23

Meh. I wish it was usable with AoOs; that's what you want reach for.

24. - Top - End - #24

I am beginning to see that there is not yet a way that I can do this until Ultimate Combat comes out (anyone know the date?), so I am making a somewhat broken character that lets me use two attacks of 2d8 per turn with EWP double crossbow, point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, crossbow mastery. It is pretty cool. I don't know if this is good for a broken character because this is only my second.
    all rights reserved.
    because I can.

LN Epee wielding duelist.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Epee Assassin View Post
    I am beginning to see that there is not yet a way that I can do this until Ultimate Combat comes out (anyone know the date?), so I am making a somewhat broken character that lets me use two attacks of 2d8 per turn with EWP double crossbow, point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, crossbow mastery. It is pretty cool. I don't know if this is good for a broken character because this is only my second.
    What part of that is broken? If you could draw upon 3.5, you could get quite a bit out of adding Crossbow Sniper [PHBII], by the way.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-05-25 at 03:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Yeah my next PF character is going to be a dwarf with a large sized dwarven waraxe as a 2hander.

Monkey Grip would be nice, and I hope they have something similar in Ultimate Combat.

Vital Strike isn't that bad, yeah it could use a buff (double all modifiers in addition to damage dice), but so could a lot of things. I find it useful in the (many) situations where I wasn't going to get a full attack anyway. Vital Stike gives me a little something extra. It's nice if you're a fighter, since you're getting a feat every level anyway. And with the changes to Powerattack and no Shocktrooper/Leap Attack, charging isn't the end-all-be-all of a melee build anymore.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McSmack View Post
    ...Monkey Grip would be nice, and I hope they have something similar in Ultimate Combat...
    There's a 3rd party feat if your DM allows called lighten weapon "Choose one type of weapon. When using a weapon of that type you may reduce the effort required to wield it by one step but suffer a −2 penalty to hit with that weapon. This allows you to wield a weapon 1 size category larger as if it were your own size, use a two-handed weapon in one hand, or a one-handed as a light weapons."
    Pretty much exactly monkey grip, and then there's the improved feat that removes the penalty.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Why is everybody forgetting about Titan Maulers?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Why is everybody forgetting about Titan Maulers?
    Because this thread was started in the 5th month of 2011 and Titan Mauler wasn't released till the 8th month of 2011?
    Last edited by Hamste; 2016-05-20 at 12:13 PM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Because this thread was started in the 5th month of 2011 and Titan Mauler wasn't released till the 8th month of 2011?
    Curses, necromancy strikes again!
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)