New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4E] Building Awesome: The Storm Sorcerer

Hello all!

So I will not be a PC in a 4E campaign for a while (probably), but when I am, I am very interested in playing a sorcerer (from PHBII). Specifically, Arcane Power's Storm Sorcerer. I'm having a couple issues with my theoretical build, though, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to lend me a hand?

First, the mechanical! I would like my main implements to be daggers. Two of them, specifically. The vision of lightning arcing between my knives as I fight is just too cool, so this is a definite.

For Race I'm thinking human, although Goliath might be fun just for kicks (though hardly optimal, I bet. I also have an idea for a Goliath astronomer, so I may save that for then).

For feats, I'm thinking Sorcerous Blade Channeling (to meld melee and spells), Dual Implement Spellcaster (for coolness factor but also extra damage) and Melee Training (changing my melee attacks to either Dex or Cha for that extra synergy). I'll also have to take feats that improve Thunder and Lightning powers (Tempest Casting and Solid Sound are the only ones off the top of my head). But you get a LOT of feats in 4th edition, I don't think that'll cover all of my slots. Perhaps some Light Blade feats? Racial feats? I'm not sure. I definitely need some help here.

My paragon path is completely up in the air. Lightning Fury (from Arcane Power) seems the logical choice, but what if I multiclass Rogue and take Daggermaster? Would multiclassing be a poor choice, or perhaps an excellent one? Throwing in some rogue would definitely up my melee skills a little.

My skills would be Arcana, Athletics, Diplomacy, and at least one other (two if I multiclass). I was considering taking Sorcerous Vision later, which would allow me to use Arcana in place of Perception or Insight.

Now, as for roleplaying... I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. I feel like the choices here are pointing towards something in his back-story, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

So, that's about all, I think. Any suggestions?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Building Awesome: The Storm Sorcerer

Implement Expertise (Dagger) of course. You might also want to grab two-weapon fighting as it gives all your attacks +1 to damage. (I know it sounds weird, but the feat does not specify what type of attacks and Character Builder backs it up!) You can always retrain out of it later once you get two magic daggers. But the +1 damage for lower levels is nice and you can then grab two weapon defense (to continue your two-dagger theme.)
    Raven's Worlds

The World of Ramarian (2.0)
    The World of Denzar (2.0)
    Atlantis, The Traveling Island (2.0 3.0 3.5 4.0)
    The World of Trance (3.0)
    The World of Tasuan (3.0 3.5)
    The World of Gaian (3.0 3.5 4.0)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Dual-Implement Spellcaster; when wielding two implements, you can add the enhancement bonus from both when making an attack with either. (So, if you have a +1 and +2 dagger, you have +3 enhancement bonus to damage with attacks using either implement.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kieza View Post
    Dual-Implement Spellcaster; when wielding two implements, you can add the enhancement bonus from both when making an attack with either. (So, if you have a +1 and +2 dagger, you have +3 enhancement bonus to damage with attacks using either implement.
    Broooooooken.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Broooooooken.
    Not at all, actually.

OP: You're going to want Focused Expertise (Daggers) and Reaper's Touch. MCing into Rogue for Daggermaster is a pretty good choice, as you'll get an 18-20 crit range, which makes Sorcerors incredibly crazy at Epic. Weapon Focus is a good feat, but at Heroic you might want to find other things, as imo +1 to damage ins't that great. As far as DiS and daggers though, you do want a staff of ruin, but since you're going dual daggers, a paired dagger would help you pretty well. Sneak of Shadows is a nice way to add damage once per encounter, especially with Reaper's Touch. Leather Proficiency is a good +2 AC for you.
    Last edited by Sir Homeslice; 2009-05-28 at 04:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Broooooooken.
    You get the extra enhancement to damage, not to attack rolls. It gives 1-6 extra damage, see.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7

I'd just like to start off by thanking everyone who's posted so far, you've all been big helps (except you, Tengu_Temp, but I laughed so it's all good).

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Homeslice View Post
    Not at all, actually.

OP: You're going to want Focused Expertise (Daggers) and Reaper's Touch. MCing into Rogue for Daggermaster is a pretty good choice, as you'll get an 18-20 crit range, which makes Sorcerors incredibly crazy at Epic. Weapon Focus is a good feat, but at Heroic you might want to find other things, as imo +1 to damage ins't that great. As far as DiS and daggers though, you do want a staff of ruin, but since you're going dual daggers, a paired dagger would help you pretty well. Sneak of Shadows is a nice way to add damage once per encounter, especially with Reaper's Touch. Leather Proficiency is a good +2 AC for you.
    Thank you, but there are several things that I don't recognize. Specifically, Reaper's Touch and Paired Daggers. Where (or what) are these?

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    You get the extra enhancement to damage, not to attack rolls. It gives 1-6 extra damage, see.
    Phew! Glad you clarified that, otherwise I would have had to join Tengu's choir.
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    Thank you, but there are several things that I don't recognize. Specifically, Reaper's Touch and Paired Daggers. Where (or what) are these?
    Paired weapons are from the Adventurer's Vault, and split into two identical weapons with an at-will minor action. This means that you can get the maximum enhancement bonus on both your daggers without having to pay through the nose for the second one, which in turn adds extra damage

I'm not familiar with Reaper's Touch, though.

A piece of advice, though; the vast majority of Storm Magic spells, and indeed lightning-damage spells Sorcerors have available, target Reflex. You may chance to happen upon an enemy with an extremely high Reflex defense, but lower Fortitude or Will defense, so make do try to choose at least one or two powers that target these defenses instead. Humans can pick up Lightning Strike, Storm Walk, and Chaos Bolt, for instance, as at-will powers, which would mean they can target whatever NAD (Non-Armor Defense) is lowest at will. Can be extremely beneficial, particularly if it means targeting a defense 3, 4, 5, or even 6 or more lower.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

As an Alternative idea...

I recently made a Rogue-Sorcerer hybrid Level 1 build for fun
    While this build is not using dual daggers it can easily be adapted to do so.

Some key things: Focused Expertise Is like Weapon and Implement Expertise combined into one feat. At low levels stay out of melee, your to easy to hit. At higher levels you can wade in pretty well.

Feats I planned on taking:
    (2) Leather Armor Prof
    (4) Sorcererous Blade Channeling
    (6) Dual Implement Spellcaster
    (8) Two-Weapon Fighting
    (10) Rash Sneak Attack or Toughness
    (11) Storm Spellfury
    (12) Paragon Defenses (Retrain to Robust Defenses in Epic)
    (14) Reserve Maneuver
    (16) Resounding Thunder
    (18) Weapon Focus (Dagger)
    (20) Raging Storm
    (21) Fury of the Storm
    (22) Quickened Spellcasting
    (24) Ruthless Spellfury
    (26) Sorcererous Flux
    (28) Lasting Advantage
    (30) Explosive Spellcasting

I'm sure theres some amount of optimization that could be done that I'm missing, though this is an alternative that might be very strong.

Edit: On Reapers Touch: Its from Dragon 372
    Reaper’s Touch
    Prerequisites: Invoker, sorcerer, warlock, or
    wizard class
    Benefit: You gain a benefit with any of the following
    attack powers you know.
    Acid Orb (sorcerer, see Player’s Handbook 2, page
    138): This power gains a range of Melee touch in
    addition to its normal range. You can use it as a melee
    basic attack.
    Dragonfrost (sorcerer, see Player’s Handbook 2, page
    139): This power gains a range of Melee touch in
    addition to its normal range. You can use it as a melee
    basic attack.
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2009-05-28 at 07:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's a build which uses this idea on the WotC Character Optimization boards.

Personally, I think going Daggermaster perverts the intent of the PP, since that's intended for when the character uses a dagger as a weapon, not as an implement. You'd be on safer ground with your DM if you took the Sorcerer Implement Expertise feat instead, and in that case I'd suggest you take the Essence Mage PP.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    Paired weapons are from the Adventurer's Vault, and split into two identical weapons with an at-will minor action. This means that you can get the maximum enhancement bonus on both your daggers without having to pay through the nose for the second one, which in turn adds extra damage
    Alright, cool, I'll have to take a look at Adventurer's Vault. That's one I don't own.

A piece of advice, though; the vast majority of Storm Magic spells, and indeed lightning-damage spells Sorcerors have available, target Reflex. You may chance to happen upon an enemy with an extremely high Reflex defense, but lower Fortitude or Will defense, so make do try to choose at least one or two powers that target these defenses instead. Humans can pick up Lightning Strike, Storm Walk, and Chaos Bolt, for instance, as at-will powers, which would mean they can target whatever NAD (Non-Armor Defense) is lowest at will. Can be extremely beneficial, particularly if it means targeting a defense 3, 4, 5, or even 6 or more lower.
    I wanted to try and take about even parts Lightning and Thunder, and I think Thunder targets Fort so that just leaves me lacking in the Will area... OK, thank you for the advice I'll make sure to remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin
    As an Alternative idea...
    Where do I find Focused Expertise, anyway? I thought I knew, but I can't seem to spot it.
    And thank you for the progression idea, I'll have to switch a few things around but it looks good.

Also, I can't imagine why I would take Reaper's Touch, I won't be using those spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenknight
    Personally, I think going Daggermaster perverts the intent of the PP, since that's intended for when the character uses a dagger as a weapon, not as an implement. You'd be on safer ground with your DM if you took the Sorcerer Implement Expertise feat instead, and in that case I'd suggest you take the Essence Mage PP.
    Well, I do plan on using the daggers as weapons, too. Don't I only get the increased crit range when using a melee dagger attack anyway? I mean, yeah, when using Sorcerous Blade Channeling it's the spell, but I still have to be in melee and hit them with the dagger.

I understand the concern though.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueKnightGuy

PHB2 has two feats you may want to check out.

Echoes of Thunder:
    Heroic Tier
    Benefit: When you hit with any thunder attack power, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls until the end of your next turn. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

and...

Oncoming Storm:
    Heroic Tier
    Benefit: When you hit with any lightning attack power, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with thunder powers until the end of your next turn.

How has no one else pointed this out? Do I overvalue this feats for a storm sorcerer?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Where do I find Focused Expertise, anyway? I thought I knew, but I can't seem to spot it.
    Monk Article

And thank you for the progression idea, I'll have to switch a few things around but it looks good.
    Your welcome.

Also, I can't imagine why I would take Reaper's Touch, I won't be using those spells.
    Exactly why I didn't take it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I do plan on using the daggers as weapons, too. Don't I only get the increased crit range when using a melee dagger attack anyway? I mean, yeah, when using Sorcerous Blade Channeling it's the spell, but I still have to be in melee and hit them with the dagger.

I understand the concern though.
    Technically, no. You don't have to use a melee dagger attack. You just have to make an attack with a dagger. Any of your spells would work, because the feature doesn't specifically say anything at all to the contrary.

However! In Arcane Power, an epic (maybe paragon) tier feat released that increases the crit threat range for sorcerer powers to 19-20. This is kind of a nudge in the direction of "Stay out of paragon paths that don't want you in them."
    It's all WotC fault for STILL not clarifying the whole "weapon as implement thing." We should all only play Swordmages and Sorcerers and Avengers and THEN WE'LL SEE WHO'S LAUGHING!
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, from a role-play aspect, I just had a vision of a backstory where the character got struck by lightning... (therefore unleasing the Chaos in his blood and making him a Sorceror in the first place)

As for the rest, I'd probably stick with Human for the race... (Human Defences are good for classes that try to avoid melee attacks, and an extra feat is fun, and another At-Will as well.)

But, there are other classes that make great Sorcerors. Optimally, I think Dragonborn work, and for fun, well, lots of things can be fun.

Also, because a Sorceror boosts Strength, Melee attacking is a viable option. Double-weild magic daggers, get the dagger/Sorceror feats as suggested.

I'd stick with a Sorceror Paragon Path or a Racial one, but that's just me. The benefits of the PP's are usually catered towards the class that they're a part of.

Above all, just remember that in this edition, it doesn't take a rules expert to get a decent character.

The main points to remember are chance to hit > damage, increase your main attack score as much as possible (remembering to increase others if you need them for feats and whatnot), and remember to roleplay the hell out of this lightning-based Sorceror.

"Shocking, isn't it?"
    Hehehe, how cliche...
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Optimally, I think Dragonborn work, and for fun, well, lots of things can be fun.

Also, because a Sorceror boosts Strength, Melee attacking is a viable option. Double-weild magic daggers, get the dagger/Sorceror feats as suggested.
    Actually Dragonborn probably isn't the best race for this. Cosmic and Dragon sorcerers use Charisma and Strength. Chaos and Storm sorcerers use Charisma and Dexterity. So Drow and Halflings (and of course, Humans) work well.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that's right. Sorry, my AP and PHBII knowledge isn't as, uh... knowlegable, as I would like.

But yeah, in that case, for optimisation purposes, I'd go human.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    And only after reading this I realized this is not homebrew, but a real feat from Arcane Power. Not broken, just very good (at paragon and higher at least).

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    (21) Fury of the Storm
    I have to second this, especially if you go Daggermaster.

Full Crit? yes Please!

(Fury of the Storm maximizes your extra Crit dice.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, the best best best race for a Storm Sorcerer is a halfling. Why? Because a lot of the Storm Sorcerer powers are "Area Burst X within Y squares" powers. Arcane power has a halfling sorcerer only feat that makes all 'area' attacks stop provoking opportunity attacks.
    This means, if you ever get surrounded you can drop those "Area Burst 1 spells with the Storm source: Origin Square not affected" powers on yourself.
    Plus the halfling's got a lot of really great "please don't hit me" abilities, like +2 against OA attacks, and, of course, the racial power.
    Also, definitely pick up a familiar, most notably, the rat familiar. It makes thievery checks for you, at your modifier +2. Halflings get +2 and you'll have a high dex for damage. You should have a +5 to +8 without even being trained. Plus, they can manipulate and use tools. Since you're multi-classing into rogue anyways........
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm
    Storm & Sorcerer... i may have to take a second look at 4e
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    Technically, no. You don't have to use a melee dagger attack. You just have to make an attack with a dagger. Any of your spells would work, because the feature doesn't specifically say anything at all to the contrary.
    "You can score critical hits with daggers on a roll of 18-20."
    ...Yeah, that's pretty vague. I think the intent was with melee attacks, though. I'll bring it up with the eventual DM and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus
    Well, from a role-play aspect, I just had a vision of a backstory where the character got struck by lightning... (therefore unleasing the Chaos in his blood and making him a Sorceror in the first place)
    I like it. Also with all this knife fighting and the suggested rat familiar this character sounds like he was some kind of street urchin until the powers hit. Maybe I oughta send a good amount of my loot back to the slums (and not tell anybody).
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Warlock
    Actually, the best best best race for a Storm Sorcerer is a halfling.
    Interesting idea. Thanks, I'll definitely think about it (though I'm really thinking human at this point).

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I like it. Also with all this knife fighting and the suggested rat familiar this character sounds like he was some kind of street urchin until the powers hit. Maybe I oughta send a good amount of my loot back to the slums (and not tell anybody).
    If you get your hands on a few Everlasting Provisions, you could set up a small "soup kitchen". They're relatively cheap (by magic item standards, at least), and each one can provide fifteen good meals a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    If you get your hands on a few Everlasting Provisions, you could set up a small "soup kitchen". They're relatively cheap (by magic item standards, at least), and each one can provide fifteen good meals a day.
    That's a good idea! I'm thinking I need a couple contacts in my backstory, at least one that's willing to start a "neighborhood refurbishment" project. Maybe my character's parents? Maybe not. I don't want to go the orphan route- too cliche.

I need a name... how does Bastian Fischer sound? I guess that makes his parents fishermen (german ones, at that). So he lives in a port city? Man, it's too bad Sorcerers don't get Streetwise as a class skill (maybe I should see if I can use Backgrounds).

Spoiler
    Show