New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

Okay, I'd consider the work you showed in post #116 to be professional caliber, at least in the sense of "could realistically see people paying for that". I can't say *why* exactly, other than to say it gives me a certain kind of feeling. I hesitate to say that it looks more finished, but that's basically the way I'd put it if I had to put words to it.

On a marginally related note: mimes are creepy. That pic is great for October.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

*bawwing ;_;*
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #124

Huh. I had a touhou related dream.

In that dream, I'm aquintained with at least some of gensokyo's inhabitant, though I don't live there. I can at least go there sometimes, though I don't remember whether I can do that at will or not.

I'm friendly with Reimu, and she works in a burger joint near my place at night shift for extra money, and I sometimes visit her to chat. And I'm also friendly with Yukari, and she often gap herself in the burger joint to chat or tease reimu.

There's also a touhou forum in gensokyo's intranet that work as my main connection with touhou since I can't visit gensokyo all the time.

Anyway, on that particular night, Yukari is feeling a bit melancholic. It seems that she actually want a kid, but she can't have it the normal way because.... dunno, she's a youkai or something.

We talked on how to have a kid. I suggest either adoption, or using wacky gap magic to... split a part of herself or something. Or use Eirin's drugs, though we both just look at each other and say naaah at that.

While we're talking about adoption, we somehow know that there's someone that's perfect for adoption.

It's Niles Harsgreaves, an amnesiac character of mine for a Mutant and Mastermind game. Though in this dream, he's just a kid (he's originally a grown up amnesiac detective). It turned out that Niles is actually Harry Potter's second second second cousin or something, and he's a kind of chosen one himself. He's destined to end the hostility/war between mankind and vampires. Though, he got amnesiac and missing as a kid for some reason and now the ones involved in his story put his sister on his place.

The dream changes into Niles Hargreaves' adventure after that point though.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-11-10 at 10:51 AM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

In the next Touhou game, Yukari's son will be introduced. At which point Fri will install an alarm system in his bedroom.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-11-10 at 11:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126

Oh, something like that happened to me once. I was sincerely questioning my sanity and/or my privacy.

Anyway, I like yukari. You know my top 5 favourite characters already, but after them, Yukari is definitely in my top 10 (reimu too).

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Oh, something like that happened to me once. I was sincerely questioning my sanity and/or my privacy.
    Hmmm...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-11-11 at 08:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Gale Riders painting for the Mecha Sky Pirates game.

Kinda disappointing actually. I know I said I had enough painting and was going to go back to my usual style, but painting is fun. I wish I could paint better. I guess that's what practices are for.

At least now I know how to draw lens flare. I'm trying my best to not use filters anymore.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-11-17 at 11:09 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

The Pointy Edge of Fate, Amor Fati.

If I have time I'll try to color it I guess, but I'm not confident in my coloring, that's why I posted this lineart version forst.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nifty. Is the breastplate asymmetrical or am i just misreading it? Colouring, even a basic one without shading, would make the suit's design clearer.

What's the setting? Seems futuristic besides the choice of weapons. Must have pretty strict gun control laws :
    "Hold it! Drop your weapons!"
    "But sir, it's not a weapon. Merely a farming tool, i assure you."
    "Uh huh, a powered scythe. Farming tool. Really now? I suppose the armour is also part of this farming job of yours?"
    "Clearly you haven't seen the weeds i must deal with."
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

11. - Top - End - #131

The uh.... whaddya call it, perspective? The three d-ism of it is actually a mess. I actually have very weak spatial intelligence. If I have some time to color it I'll try to fix it a bit I guess.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    What's the setting?
    Steampunk Europe invaded by mecha-using aliens. Humans stole some.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

And those mecha tend to look kinda crazy when used by humans. Especially the one used by the engineer.

14. - Top - End - #134

Elizabeth Shelley, the intrepid reporter. from the War of the World game. She's one of my favourite character ever. I guess this is her in a more modern setting.

I have a very noticeable weakness against reporters for some reason. I used to be the chief editor in my college's magazine, and I hope I can work in a magazine later after I finish my study.

Oh, and in case you don't know, she's the one underneath Amor Fati

edit:

the colored version
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-11-20 at 10:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

More Elizabeth

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Oh dear. I've created a monster.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Oh dear. I've created a monster.
    I wonder what do you mean by that <_<. Because there's no chance that my next picture had anything to do with that, right.

A challenger appears

Elizabeth and Aya. Of course.

As usual, I don't really like the colored version. I prefer the lineart version

With this, I've managed to draw my top five favourite touhou characters.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-11-25 at 10:51 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

That's pretty awesome. The coloured version looks better to me, actually. I think it's that it brings the eyes out more.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

Yeah, colored is better here. Also i'd be pretty puzzled too if i saw a Tengu lurking in the same bushes i was, trying to get paparazzi shots.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

*jumps out of nearby bushes*
    Something about Aya's stare just speaks "I'm gonna murder you now" to me. Might be the red eyes.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Time for dream stories!

I just had a dream where I watched the winners of an indie steampunk/wild-west film festval. There were five winner of it, and at least in my dream I remember that three of them were particularly interesting, but I only remember the third position because for some reason I found it particularly interesting and shown it to my brothers in my dream.

The main character was supposedly this genius/talented but mute orphan boy who lived in the wilderness with a strange hermit for all of his life. One day it's decided that he must went to the city to interact with real people/have real education or something in that line and he must board a very big and influential steam train to the big city. Though honestly, for someone who's supposed to be the main character he didn't appear much.

Another character was a sherrif for a small town that's in the train's path. He's in the middle of organizing his town's defense against the yearly raid of bandits, stacking crates as barricades, dividing weapons and ammos, and such. He had a wife who's worried about him and kept asking him to quit his job as sherrif. The sherrif was played by... Will Smith. Yeah, but this is an indie movie.

The last character was a bumbling gunslinging knight (hey, it's steampunk) with face-concealing knight helmet and bright green armor who named his horse with a lady name... you know the type. He's in a some kind of generic righting wrong quest. He's somewhat inept but genuinely want to do good. But there's a twist. Way later in the movie we found out a TWIST that his knight order is actually.... the Ku Klux Klan. Really, I'm shocked myself and it's my own dream!

So basically as you can guess, the train was hijacked near the sherrif's town by a clan of bandit that looked and acted like a cross between a wild-west bandit group and a pirate group. They swung into the train from nearby cliffs, have strange code-of-honor, duel with cutlass and revolver, and such. Noticing the hijacking, the sherrif abandoned his town's defense and went to help the train. The inept was in the area as well and he galloped his horse to help the train as well.

The movie used a lot of soundtrack, and all are famous and awesome songs. Each character got leitmotif (though I forgot what are them), and the pirate/bandit's themesong was queen's We Will Rock You.

So, accompanied by awesome soundtracks, the sherrif gunfights his way to the train, and the knight somehow managed to bumble his way to the train as well. They two then met, in an obvious lead that the two of them were supposed to act as buddies in buddy-movie style for the rest of the movie.

The movie ended in the middle of this climax (with awesome soundtrack), where the sherrif and the knight found out that the train was actually carrying a big, anachronistic missile (steampunk!) and the mute boy was standing with two revolvers surrounded by enemies.

Yeah, a pretty cool actiony dream with one strange twist. I love western and steampunk..
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-12-07 at 06:41 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

I sketched something for my 'Mobile Guard Section One' game.

I tried to design the main mech for the steampunk/magipunk game, the AG-98 paladin. It's a police steampunk/magipunk mech based on Ingram from patlabor and escaflowne. The only description I gave in game was that it looks like a giant white knight.

Mech design is actually my weakspot.

What do you think? Is it steam/magipunk enough? I want to make it steam/magipunk-ish, but I don't know how to actually do so. Any idea on how to make it looks more steam/magipunk-ish?

I hoped that by making it rather stubby it'll look more steampunkish (it needs some space inside the armor for the pipes and tubes and gears and such). The pilot sits in the torso that extends to the 'hunch,' kinda like knightmare frame from code geass. It stands about 15-16 feet tall, that is about as tall as a house.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-12-10 at 07:37 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Mech design is actually my weakspot.
    Eh, I can come up with about a dozen transformation mechanisms but when I try to draw a mech it usually ends up looking like it's made of cardboard boxes.

Maybe some piston-vents sticking out from the shoulders? You know the kind.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm, kinda reminds me of Arasaka Standard B power armour from Cyberpunk.
    It has a futuristic vibe to it, mostly from being sleek and seamless. Needs moar rivets and seams and exposed piping, for that home-made feel steampunk gear tends to have

Also seconding the need for vents, if it's steam-powered it needs a way to release excess pressure, and the heatsource probably needs air. And without external signs of a steam engine, how are we be supposed to know it doesn't run on Yukkuri-fusion ?

Warjacks are a bit too top-heavy to take seriously, but they do pull off the steam/magi-punk combo pretty well otherwise so borrowing some design elements from them might work.

Slight asymmetry in the plating might also help with the 'punk' part of the feel.
    Depends on how they are produced in-world though, as mass-produced assembly line mechs would likely have standardised spare parts available whilst individually crafted/looted mechs would have to make do with what's available, leading to more variation.
    Just some random thoughts.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

25. - Top - End - #145

Here, I hope this look magipunk/steampunk enough
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-12-11 at 07:09 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a thought. If it had two vents sticking diagonally out from the back, it could sit on them when not in use.
    Code:
      &_
     (*==]
      ==/
      | \
      |
     -%
    Code:

&_
     (*==]
    <-==/
    -%  \
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-11 at 02:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

I...don't really get it, sorry :p

don't it would be faster and/or easier if you actually sketch it using mspaint or something?

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

Hey. Recent events made me remember something. I tried to draw another costume for Elizabeth back then. But, well, I don't actually have the tiniest amount of fashion sense. So, maybe you guys could help me or suggest things?

The criteria that I had in mind are these:

1.Bare shoulder and collarbones should be in the open. This is important .
    1.Have a dash of steampunk/victoriana.
    2.Have a dash of gothic lolita.
    3.Have a dash of 'coat' or 'suit' element.
    4.Should be relatively usable for daily use/adventuring .

Well... that's it actually.

here's what I sketched.

and here's a further work on it. But I'm still not entirely satisfied with this design.

So, in the slightest chance that you entered this thread and have actual fashion sense, do you have any idea/suggestion?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

I think she has nice eyes. You should use some color to help this

Maybe it is many ideas for fashion together. But I think boots can change too. More 'adventure' boots maybe useful.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for quick sketch (><)
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

30. - Top - End - #150

It's really cool and fits my criterias perfectly. Yes, the color and accessories really adds up. And the sleeves are really cool. But you draw really fast I'm beyond envious ;_;
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-12-13 at 11:55 AM.

Spoiler
    Show