New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Does Mookie really need 7+ months to end DD? I can see it ending in 3, and I'm being really generous here. Dominic is in DJ's clutches, that's pretty much steering towards endgame already and all everyone needs to do is to stop sitting on their asses and storm the ****ing castle already!

What else can Mookie stretch for 4 months?
    Plot-wise, even a writer with Mookie's inability to focus and, well, write should be able to wrap it up by the end of the year.

But there's all that unrelated stuff that I feel Mookie couldn't possibly keep himself from addressing.

Nimmel must get Katya. So he needs to do something heroic, because them's the breaks.
    Celesto's got to do something.
    We haven't seen the orcs yet, and they of course have to be useful in some way. Also, we never found out what happened to Hansi (and Kiya).
    The fatsuit lizard dragon might also come back, I guess?
    I guess the whole Blight thing will drag on for a while for more Facebath, some Milov/Jayden drama, and maybe Snowsong.
    Luna's sisters haven't done anything yet in this arc, have they?
    I think Szark might also deliver Chance Masters to Team Deegan so he can help ruin the king's image, which is of course still vitally important. Then he can stay around and fight some Battlecasters while making gay quips/puns.
    Rachel, pretty much the same. Will possibly breach the castle walls with her face or something.
    Uh...Dirk the Mighty?

I think I'm forgetting a few people here. But these are already more than enough characters to stretch this last arc out for a few more months.

Right now, I'm even willing to say it'll be August or so before we see it end at last.

EDIT: Also, looked at the comic again and...

:^Δ

Mookie...for ****'s sake, man...
    I've been exposed to those snouts for years now and can only barely identify that as a face-thing.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-24 at 11:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I've been exposed to those snouts for years now and can only barely identify that as a face-thing.
    Mookie reminds me of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

Plot-wise, even a writer with Mookie's inability to focus and, well, write should be able to wrap it up by the end of the year.

But there's all that unrelated stuff that I feel Mookie couldn't possibly keep himself from addressing.

Nimmel must get Katya. So he needs to do something heroic, because them's the breaks.
    Celesto's got to do something.
    We haven't seen the orcs yet, and they of course have to be useful in some way. Also, we never found out what happened to Hansi (and Kiya).
    The fatsuit lizard dragon might also come back, I guess?
    I guess the whole Blight thing will drag on for a while for more Facebath, some Milov/Jayden drama, and maybe Snowsong.
    Luna's sisters haven't done anything yet in this arc, have they?
    I think Szark might also deliver Chance Masters to Team Deegan so he can help ruin the king's image, which is of course still vitally important. Then he can stay around and fight some Battlecasters while making gay quips/puns.
    Rachel, pretty much the same. Will possibly breach the castle walls with her face or something.
    Uh...Dirk the Mighty?

I think I'm forgetting a few people here. But these are already more than enough characters to stretch this last arc out for a few more months.

Right now, I'm even willing to say it'll be August or so before we see it end at last.

EDIT: Also, looked at the comic again and...

:^Δ

It looks like the entire top half of his face is one giant depressed skull fracture. Like, he got smashed in the head just above the nose by an immensely solid flat object that uniformly shoved his skull back 3 inches.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It looks like the entire top half of his face is one giant depressed skull fracture. Like, he got smashed in the head just above the nose by an immensely solid flat object that uniformly shoved his skull back 3 inches.
    The Electric Guitar of Karma?

5. - Top - End - #125

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Does Mookie really need 7+ months to end DD?
    Nope. I was thinking the same as you - the endgame is all lined up, Dom is currently having his brain bored into by the main monster. It feels like Mookie is trying to wrap the main plot up by the end of the year, with maybe an epilogue in January.

I wish I could say I don't have a clue how Mookie is going to fill out 7 months, but we all know what we're in for: an prolonged loop of side-characters doing nothing and Dave attempting to tentacle-kick puppies, over and over and over and over.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

My bet is that DD will not end before April. I cannot imagine Mookie sticking to his plan. It is not how bad webcomic makers do things.

Related bad webcomic things: The Something Awful paywall temporarily stopped those of us without accounts from seeing this gem. It's truly magical.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-10-24 at 07:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

I think NBC just created adaption of Dominic Deegan, Revolution! I mean people are calling the show as sucks, well, I feel that the show is too fresh to be criticized in my opinion. Other than Mary Sues though.
    So, how will you compare Dominic Deegan to NBC Revolution?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I think NBC just created adaption of Dominic Deegan, Revolution! I mean people are calling the show as sucks, well, I feel that the show is too fresh to be criticized in my opinion. Other than Mary Sues though.
    This is why I don't pay attention to TV show critics. I've been enjoying Revolution, and was completely unaware it was being labeled as "sucks" until reading this post. (Then again, I also enjoyed Terra Nova, which is one that apparently wasn't popular enough to get renewed. Maybe I just have terrible taste)
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    This is why I don't pay attention to TV show critics. I've been enjoying Revolution, and was completely unaware it was being labeled as "sucks" until reading this post. (Then again, I also enjoyed Terra Nova, which is one that apparently wasn't popular enough to get renewed. Maybe I just have terrible taste)
    The same goes to me on Dominic Deegan too. I just read it and enjoyed it. Maybe I am too casual minded to be a snarker.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #130

The same goes to me on Dominic Deegan too. I just read it and enjoyed it. Maybe I am too casual minded to be a snarker.
    You know, I used to be like that. But then once I found out everyone thought Dominic Deegan sucks I couldn't stop seeing what had been rightfully pointed out to me.

Honestly though, I think I just outgrew it as much as anything, and all the snarking did was help me outgrow it faster. I was 16 or so when I started reading it, long before I was educated about literature and such. I believe it was the second webcomic I began following, 8-bit theater being the first, so it definitely also had the advantage of being presented to me in a form that was new and interesting. So I think one day it just got to the point where it could no longer possibly meet my low standards for entertainment.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Haven't seen this series, but I know other TV shows that I watch mostly just to laugh at, for example - Merlin.
    But I've never seen any TV show I can really compare with the concentrated badness of DD, probably because most of them usually stop when they start to get that bad.

The only thing I ever manage to compare to DD without feeling guilty is "The Sword of Truth" series of books.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Could it be?

Surely it couldn't be?

Looks like Domi is ready to leave this world and and step through the gate into the next, (where he will shortly explode)

Nah, who am I kidding.

13. - Top - End - #133

GnomeWizardGuy

You can hear the Game Over music in panels 3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Looks like Domi is ready to leave this world and and step through the gate into the next, (where he will shortly explode)
    Nah, the MacGuffin (Lost Treasure of Luana) is turning into the other MacGuffin (Elemecca door) to the main MacGuffin (Heart of Magic). Dominic is seeing this now because he is The Most Awesome.

In I Love Dominique, Snuggly can't figure out how to work his remote control:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Related bad webcomic things: The Something Awful paywall temporarily stopped those of us without accounts from seeing this gem. It's truly magical.
    Happy 10th anniversersay, CAD!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I don't follow CAD anymore, what's going on?

15. - Top - End - #135

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I don't follow CAD anymore, what's going on?
    Time travel arc, being played for drama instead of laughs. It's kind of like earlier DD in that it could go in a number of interesting ways but manages to sidestep all of them. Also managed to hit a Loss 2.0 moment as shown in that vid.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

What the hay is a heart of magic?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, by the looks of things here, it's a tardis.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

The Beast brings up something interesting here. We've seen the Infernomancer rip out Gregory's magic (and paid a terrible price for it), so why does DJ think he needs a seer for more than about a minute?
    I'm starting to think he really is just lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Mookie reminds me of this.

Aw...

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    What the hay is a heart of magic?
    The Face of God, of course.

EDIT:
    Oh, and this is amazing and makes me want to read CAD just to fully appreciate it.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-25 at 04:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

When I look at that, I still can't see a door, or a TARDIS. I see the phone booth, from Bill and Ted. If that's a door...ugh.

Also, good job Mookie, you have so many continuity errors that when you have something that might be misconstrued as one (by...who??) you have to point out in the news post that it's not. Even when you're showing and not telling, you'r telling. A true pro.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Well, by the looks of things here, it's a tardis.
    I thought it was an elevator.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Beast brings up something interesting here. We've seen the Infernomancer rip out Gregory's magic (and paid a terrible price for it), so why does DJ think he needs a seer for more than about a minute?
    I'm starting to think he really is just lonely.
    Because he loves and values humans donchaknow, which is why he never uses spells to mislead or control them, ever around. Now, if Deegan were a werewolf or something, no second thoughts, kaboom, game over because the king doesn't respect those guys even a little.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

22. - Top - End - #142

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    When I look at that, I still can't see a door, or a TARDIS.
    Spoiler
    Show

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Cen; 2012-10-25 at 05:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have to look really hard at that thing to convince myself it's a door and not a box. How bad of an artist do you have to be to try to draw a simple object and end up with something that looks like a more complex one? The art in this comic is a cosmic horror beyond the realms of reason.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Time travel arc, being played for drama instead of laughs. It's kind of like earlier DD in that it could go in a number of interesting ways but manages to sidestep all of them. Also managed to hit a Loss 2.0 moment as shown in that vid.
    Yeah see, I dont buy it. The way I see it, CAD cant do ANYTHING other than stupid silly or else its automatically punted to Loss whatever version. I think this current arc is actually going fairly well. We get the whole time travel crazyness, learn about the threat, and it was established in what I think was a fairly reasonable way. (Ethan rebuilds embla, she turns zeke anti human, robopocalypse happens, and the most important person in ethans life is killed. ) I just think this is a knee jerk reaction that happens anytime there isnt a stupid punchline. The arc isnt that bad. Not even close. Not saying it cant or wont be ruined before its all over, but still, right now? Its going pretty solid imo.

Anyway, on topic, its an interesting setup, though mookie is a moron for making certain to kill off any mystery involved witht he enwspost. Not that there was even a moments surprise to me. No &^% mookie, really? You mean the tentacle thing mind raping dom might be. . . messing with doms mind? Oh, and I swear, if the beast goes off the rails and dj has to team up with dom and crew to stop it, I will be pissed. It seems to be heading that way. DJ is dealing with rillian acting as his conciense, the beast is taking unilateral action against dom without letting dj know, this has all the earmarks of a betrayal scenario where the bad guy joins the good guys just to get his revenge on the traitor.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Well you sure showed me. :P

26. - Top - End - #146

Daemon

Oh, and about wrapping the comic up? I think it should have been done last year:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I have to look really hard at that thing to convince myself it's a door and not a box. How bad of an artist do you have to be to try to draw a simple object and end up with something that looks like a more complex one? The art in this comic is a cosmic horror beyond the realms of reason.
    Oh, it's a door? I completely thought that was the back of a large canvassed frame, like for a painting. Maybe the cow guy's work?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah see, I dont buy it. The way I see it, CAD cant do ANYTHING other than stupid silly or else its automatically punted to Loss whatever version. I think this current arc is actually going fairly well. We get the whole time travel crazyness, learn about the threat, and it was established in what I think was a fairly reasonable way. (Ethan rebuilds embla, she turns zeke anti human, robopocalypse happens, and the most important person in ethans life is killed. ) I just think this is a knee jerk reaction that happens anytime there isnt a stupid punchline. The arc isnt that bad. Not even close. Not saying it cant or wont be ruined before its all over, but still, right now? Its going pretty solid imo.
    And then he made me watch as he KILLED Lilah right in front of me
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-10-25 at 10:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I thought it was supposed to be a Monolith.

Well, I mean, that's clearly what he's going for here even if he can't draw a door.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

I thought it was supposed to be a Monolith.

Well, I mean, that's clearly what he's going for here even if he can't draw a door.
    How long before Dom turns into a space foetus?