New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Theatre of Masks

This is a large-ish building on an overgrown lot. Seven years of untended plants make the overall shape of the place somewhat ambiguous, but the doorway is large enough to be recognizable: a pair of old-fashioned theatrical masks grin out under the letters carved into the stone:

The Theatre of Masks

It's a modest theatre, probably capable of seating a hundred or so guests. The grounds are a little more extensive than first glance would seem to require, but on closer examination there are the remains of wooden outbuildings burned and ruined among the overgrowth that hint at a more sizeable complex once upon a time than now exists.

It's at the edge of the old Slums district, walled off and locked with "no trespassing" signs in several different languages posted. It's not the safest part of town, but it's not that bad if you don't draw too much attention.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Theatre of Masks

On one of his wandering walks through the Slums, Raril comes across the abandoned building. The bard was intrigued, first because he couldn't recall seeing this place here before (but that was the nature of the Nexus) and secondly because it was a theater. He couldn't remember the last time he had been in a proper theater. Also, the warning sign to keep out was just a dare to the drow. Too curious to help himself, he just had to do a little exploring.

If no easy means of entry presents itself, Raril will climb over the wall, using a little levitation to aid himself if needed. Once on the other side, he pauses for a moment to admire the old masks, before looking for a way into the building proper. He'll test the front door first, to see if it was even locked, or if it might be able to be picked.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

(( Oooh... A wild Raril has appeared! You'll be sucked into a plot if you lurk around here too long. ))

The chain on the exterior door is pretty sturdy, so up and over is probably easiest. At the building, the main door is not locked. The foyer is filled with dust and debris, but there are signs that someone is here fairly often due to the cleared path to the door marked "Office".
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-06-01 at 04:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist arrives with a certain young cleric. He's gotten himself outfitted with a dark-colored duster, not too thick but well-covering. Mist likes long coats; you can hide so much in them.
    he'll slowly approach the place, doing his best to remain cognizant as he goes to the front door. With any luck it won't be locked.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

The outer gate is chained with a sturdy chain and pad-locked. The wall is wood, but fairly sturdy and not easy to climb.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was certainly curious. Was someone living here? Maybe someone owned the place. They sure weren't taking care of it, though.

With a shrug, Raril followed the cleared path to the office door and went to knock. At worst, the drow figured, he'd be asked to leave, but maybe the person here might consider selling?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Helen sighs when she sees the lock and says to Mist, "Can you pick it? I have a spell that would bust it, but I was hoping to save that...It would mess up that construct if we ran into it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

[Outside]

The chain/lock combo is probably going to be easier to pick than to break, being decently-impressive looking steel. Frankly, it's probably not tempered to the point that Shatter would even work.

[Inside]

The door is opened by a young man, perhaps 25, with raven dark hair and distinctly Norwegian features. He looks Raril over with an arched eyebrow.

Welcome to the Theatre of Masks. I'm sorry, but we're not open quite yet.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

The drow leans in the doorway and gives the young man an odd look. "Quite yet? You don't look ready for any type of performance any time soon. You're going to have to do some major refurbishment." Raril notes, looking around.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside

Mist nods and goes over to the lock with the picks he hid in his collar. He's proficient with them, but no master. Hopefully the tumblers are simple enough for him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside]

Helen keeps a lookout, hiding two of the silver, enchanted daggers in the sleeves of her robes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

[Outside]

The lock is sturdy, but not actually all that challenging - Mist gets a satisfying "click" in reasonably short order.

[Inside]

The man looks nonplussed

I discovered it to be in a worse state of repair than I expected it to be, and arrangements have taken longer than I expected as the contacts I was given when I inherited the facility do not appear to be available anymore. But most of this is clutter, and will be gone within hours of work starting. The building itself is structurally intact, which is what matters.

So, I must ask: what brings you here?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside

Mist 'smiles' and re-inserts his picks into their hiding spot as he sets off towards the front door. His ears will prick up at the sound of talking unless the front door is soundproof, which will result in him silently signaling to Helen and moving towards the door/window to peek in rather then waltzing in.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

"Curiosity, mostly." Raril admits. "I used to be an actor, you see. I still play music, too. I was hoping to find something out about this place. If it was really abandoned or not, and if so, maybe renovating it myself." He pushes himself up off the doorframe and extends a hand. "I'm Raril, by the way. I run the Black Dragon's Den, these days."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside

A man in a billowing cloak steps out of the mist. No one knows quite who he is. He's played so many roles during his life as a bard, that he's forgotten his own name. Now all just know him as The Bard. He's retired now, and instead roams the world searching for old tales to bring back to the world.

He discovered the Theatre of Masks on an old map one day, and decided to visit. He saunters in through the front door and begins searching for a costume closet, expecting to find scraps of old scripts, and maybe a haunt or two.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

[Outside]

The door is not even remotely soundproof

[Inside]

The man looks surprised, then shakes Raril's hand

Thorvard Bersain, from Rimeholdt, but my friends call me Thor. And that explains one of my missing contacts - I was told the proprietor of the Black Dragon's Den was a goblin named Daggernose.

And I certainly am looking for talent, I just didn't want to bring people in before at least some of the work could begin.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside]

Helen nods to Mist and peers in one of the windows, trying to take a look at what's inside.

((Raz, is it okay if we assume two timelines?))

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    ((Raz, is it okay if we assume two timelines?))
    ((Sure, although couldn't there also be multiple entrances? Or even just not noticing each other. This is the Nexus, after all))
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well met." Raril grins and chuckles. "Daggernose is still around, he just works for me. I can see why folks might think he runs the place. I haven't been around recently. Any other contacts you're looking for? I might know a thing or two." He doesn't press the issue of performing. That could wait for another time.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

[Inside]

Thorvard chuckles

Well, that's something, at any rate. There were a couple of old associates who I have already found the disposition of and there's no further point. Someone named Trog was supposed to know the construction business around due to the frequent repairs his business required? Also, some temple or other that my uncle once did business with Inari? I just haven't had time to look them up.

[Someone Poking Around]

The last production was clearly about to be MacBeth, before something interrupted it. Something fairly abrupt by the looks of the place.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist's ears perk. Well, he can work with that. He'll stand up and go over to the door, rapping lightly on it to announce his presence.
    "Pardon the intrusion sir, but it seems through a little coincidence they're saving you the trip." he says with what would count as a goofy smile if he had lips. Hopefully Helen can do a better job of formalities.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Poking Around

Ah, the Scottish Play. Over the years, The Bard has seen it performed- and been in it- many times. So many, and from so long ago, in fact, that he's played every part- even the women's. He finds a bloodied sword, and identifies it as actual blood, although he can't tell the species. He grabs it before continuing on, in case whoever it was is still around.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The Theatre of Masks

Helen nods and bows to Thorvard and says, "Greeting. I am Helen Avery, a priestess of Inari Tamamo. Um...Do you know anything about an entrance to some catacombs beneath your theater, sir?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

"Trog's is still standing, my wife works over there sometimes, but I don't know how often its namesake shows up anymore. As for Inari's... It's been a while since I've seen it operational, but it's one of those places that comes back when it's needed. I'm sure if you poke around there you'll find someone to help you. And I can recommend some construction workers. The Den has similar issues as Trog's, and I don't have myself a fancy button, either."

Raril turns and looks at the two who have come to the door. Hearing the name of Inari he mumbles "Speak of the... Goddess..." And what was that about catacombs? The drow's pointed ears twitched with excitement.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

[Someone Poking Around]

The building isn't all THAT big, and it's pretty echo-y now: there's no way The Bard doesn't hear the conversation at the front door.

[Inside]

Thorvard nods

Thank you so much! That would be most helpful.

Thorvard blinks as his guest count suddenly triples

Well... hello, there. And ah, the Temple. Well, my great-uncle Renrik did some work for them several times, and I was hoping that perhaps your leader, Fenrik?, would be able to help me out.

As far as catacombs... I have heard that my uncle had access to a tunnel that lead to the Black Dragon's Den and went through the main Goblin home area here. He was a great social activist and worked tirelessly for the rights of the people less well accepted by society. It's certainly possible that those tunnels go elsewhere - I've not found the entrance yet, myself. More for lack of looking, in all honesty.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist shakes his head. "Fenric's not with us any more, but I'm sure that Helen can introduce you to the new head of the temple once we're done. In the meantime, would you let us look around? We badly need to find that tunnel entrance."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Poking Around

While digging around, The Bard finds an old weathered door. He mutters to himself, "This must be the catacombs they're talking about upstairs..." He prepares for a journey by grabbing assorted clothes. Dresses, suits, military uniforms. Anything that looks like it'd fit him, and then some. You never know when you'll need a good disguise. He polishes off his "borrowed" collection with some cosmetics and wigs, then enters a dressing room to prepare for his entrance...

Inside

A ghostly little girl enters the room, seemingly out of nowhere. (( the others don't know this, but it's The Bard )) "Excuthe me," she says sweetly, "I think I know where the cat-tombth you're talking about are."
    Last edited by Razanir; 2014-06-01 at 08:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Helen nods, and says, "There's something in the catacombs...We have friends at the Temple distracting it's guardian, but we need to hurry before they get hurt. Will you please help us?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

(( Ok. Couple things...

It's not a hole in the wall, it's a door in the basement. If you're going to jump into an ongoing plot, it is polite to find out a little more about what's going on before making statements.

There are 5 other people playing in this plot: you need to wait your turn - you really can't assume that we are all going to go along. ))

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    (( Ok. Couple things...

It's not a hole in the wall, it's a door in the basement. If you're going to jump into an ongoing plot, it is polite to find out a little more about what's going on before making statements.

There are 5 other people playing in this plot: you need to wait your turn - you really can't assume that we are all going to go along. ))
    (( Ah, sorry about that. To be honest, I wasn't quite aware that it was an on-going plot. I don't come around to this part of the forum that much. I'll redact the reply where I lead people down. ))