Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Spoilered for potential TMI:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tucking plus morning wood is NOT a comfortable combination

ow
    This, quite literally, made me spit out my coffee this morning. Not because of the discomfort of your.....morning. But because when I read it, it just hit me funny.(heh)

EDIT: However, yes, morning....erm.....stiffness is fairly uncomfortable, even for those of us not trying to rearrange down there.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-09-28 at 08:19 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    In general, the studies look at twins separated at birth (something that has mercifully mostly stopped now), so none of them were breast fed.

Early childhood experiences can strongly affect sexuality in general. There is, for example, the famous Westermarck effect, which causes children to assume any other child they grew up with to be a sibling, and so not sexually attractive. This came to be a problem in the Kibbutzim of Israel, where children were raised communally, and so none were attracted enough to each other to marry! On the other hand, we tend to desire people who look similar but not identical to the primary caregiving adults in our young years, which is why many straight men/gay women end up with women who look vaguely like their mothers and gay men/straight women often end up with men that look like their fathers.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the what's-his-name effect, though I never remember the name, and the issues in the kibbutzim. But that has a very clear evolutionary benefit, whereas attraction to people similar to one's parents seems to me to be a potentially bad thing; if they share many traits, they might share many genes, so mating with them could be a bad thing. So I really don't understand how the attraction to people similar to one's parents thing worked out evolutionarily, I would have expected it to work out like the what's-his-name thing if I had been theorising this stuff while studying primates a few hundred thousand years back. Slight tangent now, looks likes.
    Jude P.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    This, quite literally, made me spit out my coffee this morning. Not because of the discomfort of your.....morning. But because when I read it, it just hit me funny.(heh)

EDIT: However, yes, morning....erm.....stiffness is fairly uncomfortable, even for those of us not trying to rearrange down there.
    Tickled a funny bone, so to speak?

It is mildly irritating though - I would like to think my head's in charge of that part of me, rather than it being a semi-sentient being with a will of its own. oO

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

I usually just take matters into my own hands.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    So I really don't understand how the attraction to people similar to one's parents thing worked out evolutionarily, I would have expected it to work out like the what's-his-name thing if I had been theorising this stuff while studying primates a few hundred thousand years back. Slight tangent now, looks likes.
    Tangent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because some inbreeding is good. While sibling relationships have a greatly increased risk of genetic disease, cousin relationships don't have a significantly increased risk (for most populations) and have fewer fertility issues. The closer a woman is related to her partner, the less likely her body will attack the sperm on its way to the ovum.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Tickled a funny bone, so to speak?

It is mildly irritating though - I would like to think my head's in charge of that part of me, rather than it being a semi-sentient being with a will of its own. oO
    Well, I KNOW my parts somewhat have a brain of their own. As the saying goes,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "God gave men two heads, and only blood enough to run one at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I see what you did there

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

On the other hand, we tend to desire people who look similar but not identical to the primary caregiving adults in our young years, which is why many straight men/gay women end up with women who look vaguely like their mothers and gay men/straight women often end up with men that look like their fathers.
    *compares mental images of father with that of boyfriend and maternal grandfather*

*scratches head*
    I guess nobody in both our families cares much about respecting psychology anyway. Or maybe that's because my mom's bi and I'm demisexual. But my father didn't look like my maternal grandmother either. Oh, what the hell, I'll get myself homemade cookies instead.
    P.S.: yes, that's a funny, I know what "many" means.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

8. - Top - End - #158

Tangent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because some inbreeding is good. While sibling relationships have a greatly increased risk of genetic disease, cousin relationships don't have a significantly increased risk (for most populations) and have fewer fertility issues. The closer a woman is related to her partner, the less likely her body will attack the sperm on its way to the ovum.
    Ah, that makes sense. Okay.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Tangent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only thing my wife has in common with the rest of my family, and myself, is that we are gingers.......for the most part. My mom isn't, but I am, my wife is, and my grandma is......but they look nothing alike, so I am with you on that one Musashi.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

I see what you did there
    It seems you missed the other thing in what you quoted however.
    The first part of what Succubus said...
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

11. - Top - End - #161

If you feel comfortable with it, I definitely think you should contact Ramachandran (official homepage) and discuss this with him. While anecdotal data* like this is not very useful for confirming hypotheses, it is extremely valuable for forming them.

*anecdotal because it's not collected is systemathized, not because we think you're lying. Important distinction.
    Maybe... I'll think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Yeah, I have, too. Of course, mine was almost certainly through sheer willpower and psychosomatic-suggestion.
    I've done that too, but only that one time and it was mostly tricking something or another into 'inverting the registry' of my current genital configuration (it was even more confusing and tricky than it sounds ).

The one I mean now just feels... Like something *should* be there. Like there's this whole area desensitized or something. I've actually felt nonexistent (or, well, misplaced) muscles flexing... Last time I remember feeling this odd was early puberty. :s

I would actually like to try belly dancing myself. But not as a guy. Oh, and I saw some pole-dancing on TV briefly last night. It was on Two and a Half Men when they were in a stip-club, unfortunately, but the actual routine was incredible O_O . I can definitely see how the practice should be removed from that stereotype, 'cause that could seriously be in the Olympics; if trampoline can be included, something as athletic as pole-dancing should definitely be!
    *Thought for a bit there you suggested trampolines being involved in some routines and was all like @.@*

Very big news today. I saw my therapist yesterday, and we've (read: I've) decided it's time to come out to my parents. She going to help me next time. Two weeks to P-Day. Nervousness! >_<
    *Hugs~*

Blind means the patient doesn't know if he's given active treatment or placebo. Double-blind means that the experimenter doesn't know either. You label all the pillbox (momentary brainfart, I know that's not the real word) and a computer does the randomization. Triple blind means the statisticians don't know either. Quadruble blind studies haven't been performed yet, but just wait...

Oh, and all my support to Helio and Absol.
    I guess quadruple-blind involves a true random number generator (so even the computer doesn't know)... And quintuple-blind would be random pill samples being distributed into random bottles (so the bottles don't know)? Sextuple would be carried out with random computers (so probability doesn't know)...

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Going mad, people. The most annoying part is, I can't go to my therapist unless I register at college, and I can't register unless I get funding, so I can't see my therapist during this stressful period waiting for funding.
    *Hugs!*

That's good. I'm a pretty bad therapist anyway.
    I'm just starting up seeing a therapist here as of Monday. I think I'll be working on anxiety because my depression is pretty under control right now and anxiety just makes it worse, so I want to work on that first.
    *Hugs*

Spoilered for potential TMI:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tucking plus morning wood is NOT a comfortable combination

ow
    *Hugs!*

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm actually kind of worried about tucking... There should be more room by the time I actually do, considering I'll have lost more weight by then, but... Er, sitting up straight might be... Very uncomfortable. Especially in public. >.>

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

12. - Top - End - #162
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    They don't. They have to let you know you are part of a trial, and that it may involve getting a placebo, but they aren't having you sign a document about
    PLACEBOS, and that you might be taking PLACEBOS and should have conversations about PLACEBOS with your doctor. PLACEBOS. They don't make a big deal of it, because teu don't have to. There's no reason for patients to be suspicious, especially if they volunteered for the trial (which is the standard, as I understand it). The kind of people who would worry about whether they are getting a placebo or not is not the type who would be willing to go through a test anyway. Isn't that job like, discussing side effects an stuff too? The list of side effects from medicines nowadays is worse than the ailment usually.
    I figured they didn't. I was expressing doubts about the idea proposed by noparlpf who appeared to me to want to do something slightly less extreme but no less emphatic.

My point was that I don't think it's a good idea to place undue emphasis on the placebo when you're prepping people for the experiment.

Yeah. I usually do when I'm in girl mode.
    Well... Now you know not to? It seems painful enough to not want to repeat at any rate.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the what's-his-name effect, though I never remember the name, and the issues in the kibbutzim.
    Westermarck or Westermark, I think.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-28 at 09:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

It seems you missed the other thing in what you quoted however.
    The first part of what Succubus said...
    Heh, no. I didn't miss it.....But I didn't want to point out all the fun little bits there......

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, no. I didn't miss it.....But I didn't want to point out all the fun little bits there......
    I feel it's quite capable of making a point on its own. ^^

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Oh it definitely makes it own point. ಠ__ಠ

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Amusing as all this is, I think we had best take a change of direction away from infantile humour, lest we take it too far. =)

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I've done that too, but only that one time and it was mostly tricking something or another into 'inverting the registry' of my current genital configuration (it was even more confusing and tricky than it sounds ).
    Mine was because I had an idea in my head when I was a little younger, that if I wanted to be a girl as badly as I did, then there had to be a girl out there who wanted to be a guy just as bad, right? And if that's the case, why couldn't we, for lack of a better word, trade our sensations, so we could have the shadow of being who we wanted to be?

what followed over the course of several years (and a bit into the present still >_< ) was appealing to various higher powers to be the facilitator of this trade. Several times I was almost certain it had succeeded. Hence, the psychosomatics .

*Thought for a bit there you suggested trampolines being involved in some routines and was all like @.@*
    No, I was referencing Olympic Trampoline, and suggesting Olympic Pole-Dancing .

*Hugs~*
    *hugs back*

You're a bad, bad man ...

EDIT: You are right, though, we should probably bring this to a head.

...Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm done now. Really.
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-09-28 at 09:29 AM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Amusing as all this is, I think we had best take a change of direction away from infantile humour, lest we take it too far. =)
    But......but........that's the only humor I know!!!

But you are right, I think this line of jokes has reached its climax...

HAD TO......... HAD TO!!!!!
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-09-28 at 09:30 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Taking that solution is... not fun, emotionally, when suffering the throes of dysphoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well... Now you know not to? It seems painful enough to not want to repeat at any rate.
    Worth it. Worth every second to be able to look down and not see a horrible bulge.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Worth it. Worth every second to be able to look down and not see a horrible bulge.
    I'm sorry Helio, one day you won't have to worry about that problem. Until then all I can say is you are an attractive young lady, and we all love you for who you are, not what.

*hugs Helio*

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Taking that solution is... not fun, emotionally, when suffering the throes of dysphoria.

Still feeling dysphoric hun? =( *squeezy cuddle*. I really hope you'll be able to make it to the next UK meet. You looked stunning the last time I saw you. =)

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I'm sorry Helio, one day you won't have to worry about that problem. Until then all I can say is you are an attractive young lady, and we all love you for who you are, not what.

*hugs Helio*
    Yep, in about a month to six weeks' time I'm guessing. For about a month to six weeks.

I don't think transition is a solution that can help me, what with the way my gender identity swings every month or so. It's something I'm stuck with, unless we hit the singularity in my lifetime and we get the ability to modify our bodies at will.

That would be a dream come true.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Hm. I've thought about that before. I always figured that it would either freak people out really bad at the species level, or not bother them at all. I can get into the xenophobic mindset, of a culture so alien even the base assumptions o their biology, personality, social understanding, everything is so different you couldn't know what traps lie in wait... But then I figured, I don't really feel human most of the time anyway, and if she eats my head afterwards, it was a good run up until then. I'll reincarnate eventually, and be no worse for the wear than maybe a little gun-shy and afraid of mantids.

How different is the physiology? On a gross level as well - or would that be superficial level? I mean, Asari are superficially pretty close to humans, up to and including mammary and uterine structure, but totally different physiology. Also, how important is the different mechanics?

... Bah. Now I need to go find some trashy alien romance stories.
    How different is the physiology? Pretty different. Different number of limbs, body shape, arrangement of organs. A biologist forced to classify her by earth standards wouldn't put her in with mammals by any stretch of the imagination, though they'd probably through a conniption fit if you suggested that she be lumped in with the insects (her closest appearance analogue) due to things like the internal skeleton, endothermia, and general internal chemical and physiological similarities with birds. Psychologically she's quite different as well, having sometimes unpredictable fear or anger responses and having a much stronger need for interpersonal contact. Her sense of humor is somewhat surrealist, and she just can't get her head around the ideas of money, acting, and certain facets of the education system among others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

24. - Top - End - #174

I figured they didn't. I was expressing doubts about the idea proposed by noparlpf who appeared to me to want to do something slightly less extreme but no less emphatic.

My point was that I don't think it's a good idea to place undue emphasis on the placebo when you're prepping people for the experiment.
    Well obviously the participants have to be informed, consenting adults, so they know they might receive placebo. But also obviously you're not trying to convince them all that they have the placebo or things get skewed.

Westermarck or Westermark, I think.
    Jeff even said that in his post, I was just emphasising that I never manage to remember the name.

Really? I know for me, if I wanted to ignore my genitals, I would do anything but put pressure on them, because then I'd be constantly aware of them.
    Though I seem to acclimate to constant sensory inputs less than normal people.

On the topic of uncomfortable crotch experiences, today it rained while I was in class and the seat of my bike got wet.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can't even imagine what you'd have to be wearing to sleep in that would do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I can't even imagine what you'd have to be wearing to sleep in that would do that.
    I wear knickers to bed under my nightdress. It's pretty standard practise by an awful lot of women, I believe.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... My gal recently discovered some trick involving women's briefs which she said works better with tucking and comfort than things she had tried before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

28. - Top - End - #178

Yep, in about a month to six weeks' time I'm guessing. For about a month to six weeks.

I don't think transition is a solution that can help me, what with the way my gender identity swings every month or so. It's something I'm stuck with, unless we hit the singularity in my lifetime and we get the ability to modify our bodies at will.

That would be a dream come true.
    That would be amazing...I'm really sorry you're having such trouble. I'm not sure I would be equipped to deal with what you go through, myself. You're a trooper! And from what I've seen of you in the media thread, you're verry pretty! (And, about a month to six weeks from now, you'll be quite handsome, too!)

Very much agreed . I've been lucky recently, though. Taking steps to become more...well, me, has lessened my dysphoria. Plus, mine doesn't seem to be quite as...sharp? as yours. It's more of a dull, deep, depressing ache that doesn't go away, instead of the sharp, "This is wrong!" that I think (quite possibly incorrectly; I'm just judging by what little I've read) you go through, to make a physical-pain analogy.

I do disagree a little, here. My thinking is more in line with what noparlpf said - if I can ignore it, it's easier to imagine it's not there, and it's easier for me to ignore when it's not uncomfortable.

Of course, I don't look down all that much (part of ignoring it), so that might be part of where our differences in opinion come from.

Still, I really hope you feel better soon, honey! *Hugs!* I know it sucks!
    I think I've got a very over-active empathy muscle/brain area/thingy: every little thing I read, see or hear about happening to people changes my mood almost as if it's happening to me, and as I've been slowly unlocking my emotions more, it's been getting stronger. It's at the point where I'm getting very confused (and sometimes physically dizzy) about how I actually feel, because it's mixed in with all this other stuff. Maybe this is part of why I started hiding from my emotions in the first place?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Very much agreed . I've been lucky recently, though. Taking steps to become more...well, me, has lessened my dysphoria. Plus, mine doesn't seem to be quite as...sharp? as yours. It's more of a dull, deep, depressing ache that doesn't go away, instead of the sharp, "This is wrong!" that I think (quite possibly incorrectly; I'm just judging by what little I've read) you go through, to make a physical-pain analogy.
    Mine varies. At the moment, I'm all girled up and I've been shopping, I feel pretty good. Sure, I've still got the wrong equipment between my legs, but I can ignore it, everything's fine. Sometimes I have the dull ache as you describe, and about three times so far (usually, I find, at the start of female periods) it's got so bad and immediate that I don't want to do anything except curl up in a ball and cry.

As regards dysphoria and tucking, I find my dysphoria is very strongly keyed to appearance. If I can look at myself and see a girl - and almost more importantly, if I'm sure that other people looking at me are seeing a girl - I have far less dysphoria, no matter what I can feel from my body.

I got an immense happy thrill today when I was shopping, I asked to go and try on a bra, and none of the store assistants or other customers in the area gave me a second glance.
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2012-09-28 at 11:39 AM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

As regards dysphoria and tucking, I find my dysphoria is very strongly keyed to appearance. If I can look at myself and see a girl - and almost more importantly, if I'm sure that other people looking at me are seeing a girl - I have far less dysphoria, no matter what I can feel from my body.
    Ah, there we go, the missing ingredient! I haven't started trying to pass yet, and I'm currently resigned to the fact that I look (extremely) male, so I don't freak out about others seeing me as male, because I know they will. Okay, maybe I do a little, but it's more of, "I know they see me as male, and I don't like it," than, "Are they seeing me as male? Female? I don't know!". Maybe once I get a bit further along, things will change.

I got an immense happy thrill today when I was shopping, I asked to go and try on a bra, and none of the store assistants or other customers in the area gave me a second glance.
    Yay! Happy Helio is happy!