New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930314671 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 313 Yes, that's correct.

A 314

No, Zombies do not turn into Skeletons. While they are reanimated the corpses may experience ongoing rot but that does not change the monsters' mechanical properties.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 315 I am aware of spells that harden materials with a duration of permanent. Are there any spells that increase the hardness of any material with a duration of instantaneous?
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 315

A Spell Search says no.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 316 Are warforged considered living for templates than can only be applied to living creatures?
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 316 Yes.

They have a Constitution score, and the "Living Construct" subtype.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q317
    Does the Alarm spell count as a trap that should be trapsensible?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 318

What options does a draconic character with improved dragon wings have to improve his maneuverabilty beyond good? Improved Flight was taken to get to good maveuverability.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 317

The alarm spell does not make any attack rolls, nor trigger any Reflex saves, so trap sense would grant you no benefit in any case.

I'm not 100% sure on the rules for magical traps, but I do not thing alarm counts as one.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 318

What options does a draconic character with improved dragon wings have to improve his maneuverabilty beyond good? Improved Flight was taken to get to good maveuverability.
    A 318: The Winged template from Savage Species bases flight talent on DEX score.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

10. - Top - End - #610
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 319

What's the Decipher Script DC to be able to read Druidic if you're not a Druid. Let's say you found a book written Druidic. Or atleast, how does one go about finding it?

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 317 additional info

As KillianHawkeye pointed out, trap sense provides no benefit against Alarm. It is, of course, detectable via the Search skill to someone with the trapfinding ability; the Alarm spell is the default for proximity trigger magic device traps. (See Dungeon Master's Guide on page 68.) The Search DC for all magical traps = 25 + level of spell used to create the trap, or DC 26 for Alarm.

A 318

As Winged Creature (Savage Species, page 138) is an inherited template, it likely will not be of use to a character who has the dragonblood subtype. The Improved Flight feat (Races of the Wild, page 151) is the most straightforward solution; it grants +1 maneuverability category. For temporary improvements the Aerial Alacrity alacrity spell, available via the Sky Clerical domain (Races of the Wild, page 174), will improve maneuverability by 1 step. Mastery of the Sky (same domain) grants perfect maneuverability for its duration. The spells Wings of Air (Spell Compendium, page 240) improves maneuverability by 1 step, and Greater Wings of Air (same page) improves maneuverability by 2 steps.

A 319 DC 30.
    Check

You can decipher writing in an unfamiliar language or a message written in an incomplete or archaic form. The base DC is 20 for the simplest messages, 25 for standard texts, and 30 or higher for intricate, exotic, or very old writing.
    Druidic is an exotic language (not available except to members of the Druid class).
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-24 at 04:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A 319
    I'd say
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    DC is (...) 30 or higher for intricate, exotic, or very old writing
    . And it lets you
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    ...understand the general content of a piece of writing about one page long (or the equivalent)
    Comprehend Languages is 1st level spell that will let you understand the book content.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Pixie in the Playground

Q320

If I have sufficient ranks and ability mods at level one to craft my own bow and arrows via 'taking 10', am I allowed to make them at 1/3 cost?

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 320

That's the required cost for the raw materials, yes. Note that you'll also need to provide shelter, food, and protection for yourself during the week spent crafting, likely incurring additional costs.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q321 Is there a psionic power that is manifested on an area not centred on the caster, which lingers for several rounds dealing damage on each round? I am looking for a sort of psionic version of Acid Fog without the fog.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 322

What exactly is the interaction between incorporeal and ethereal?

Q 323

How do miss chances from incorporeal, ethereal and having concealment stack? I assume incorporeal and ethereal overlap then you do miss chances like normal.

Q 324

If an incorporeal creature is holding something corporeal and they elect to go through a wall, can they simply go through the wall or would they have to let go of the object first? Or if it's armor, undress.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 322

Ethereal creatures are on the Ethereal Plane. Ghosts (creatures dwelling on the Ethereal Plane) can manifest as Incorporeal on the Material Plane. That's the limit of the interaction.

A 324

Incorporeal creatures cannot normally manipulate objects or exert physical force on objects, which means they cannot hold normal corporeal objects. The Ghost Touch armor enhancement and the Ghost Touch weapon enhancement can be applied to appropriate magical armor and weapons, respectively. For such magically enhanced objects you follow their specific rules.
    Ghost Touch

This armor or shield seems almost translucent. Both its enhancement bonus and its armor bonus count against the attacks of incorporeal creatures. It can be picked up, moved, and worn by incorporeal creatures at any time. Incorporeal creatures gain the armor or shield’s enhancement bonus against both corporeal and incorporeal attacks, and they can still pass freely through solid objects.
    Ghost Touch

A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.
    An Incorporeal creature can take the Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis, page 27) to manipulate corporeal objects. Those objects remain corporeal, and cannot be moved through other corporeal objects. The Incorporeal creature carrying them can either drop the objects or decide not to move through solid objects. The feat benefit is an option (expressed via "can"), so undressing or other manipulation is not required; the Incorporeal creature can simply stop treating attended material objects as if the creature were not Incorporeal.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-25 at 11:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    An Incorporeal creature can take the Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis, page 27) to manipulate corporeal objects. Those objects remain corporeal, and cannot be moved through other corporeal objects. The Incorporeal creature carrying them can either drop the objects or decide not to move through solid objects.
    Q 324 B

Does this mean they can't one moment choose to interact with a corporeal object, then the next pass through it? Say a ghost is wearing pants and wants to pass through a wall without taking their pants off.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 324 B

See above; I revised my earlier answer for greater clarity.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 325: If someone casts detect magic, and there are animated objects in the room, but the requirement to which they activate has not been set, (A statue that needs someone to sleep on a slab is the requirement) does it glow? I assume animated objects are animated through magic. (Animated Objects as per Monster Manual)
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-25 at 12:01 PM.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 325 No.

Animated Objects have Construct type traits. There is no magic inherent in that type. (Similarly, a Warforged creature is a Construct created through magical means, but has no inherent magic after that creation.) Detect Magic has nothing to detect from a not-yet-animated object. A Rogue with trapfinding would be able to use Search to determine the characteristics of such a pressure plate trap, as usual.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 326

I am an old hat at this game but one thing has always confused me. The Chill Touch spell grants an extra touch per CL. Do you gain all those touches in a single round and basically Neji Hyugga your target, or does it just apply to your attacks as a sort of buff?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 327: If a cleric has started a turn check, then a round later if feared into panicking, when it comes around to his turn will he still turn all undead around him, or does he just run and gets to turn no more?

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

A 327: Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can perform as a standard action.

A cleric turn check starts and ends within a single round of combat, on that particular PC's initiative within the round, as with any other standard action.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 327: Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can perform as a standard action.

A cleric turn check starts and ends within a single round of combat, on that particular PC's initiative within the round, as with any other standard action.
    And so when it gets around to his other turn, he is allowed to make the turn check, then be forced to run away as far as he can due to the fear spell?

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A 327 - clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    And so when it gets around to his other turn, he is allowed to make the turn check, then be forced to run away as far as he can due to the fear spell?
    You mean "can a cleric under effect of Fear spell make turn attempts", right?

If the cleric failed save agains the spell [s]he is panicked

creature must (...) flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other actions.
    or cowering (if has nowhere to run):

The character is frozen in fear and can take no actions...
    so the cleric can not take any actions (other than running away). So [s]he can not make turn attempts.
    Last edited by ahenobarbi; 2012-06-26 at 07:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

A 327 followup:

killem2, perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, or you are misunderstanding me.

Let's say that Jozan the cleric and his party encounters a Lich, some zombies, and some skeletons. Jozan decides he is going to turn undead (for some reason he is using his turn attempts to actually turn undead, instead of using his turn attempts to power a feat or DMM, probably because he is Jozan).

Jozan, acting on his initiative, starts his attempt to turn undead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you believe that a turn attempt takes 1 round, and are asking what happens if his turn attempt is interrupted by the lich's fear aura causing him to panic. Is this about right?

Turning doesn't work that way. Turning is a standard action, meaning it starts, is resolved, and ends on his initiative.

I guess the lich could have a fear spell readied to cast - (trigger: someone touches their holy symbol or something similar) or has his fear aura readied with the same trigger, or has some kind of immediate action they could use to trigger some fear effect. There may be other methods, these are the ones that came to me off the top of my head. The results are the same. Jozan's action is interrupted while the fear effect is resolved. If Jozan is panicked, he cannot use his turn attempt. If he is not interrupted, then the turn attempt is resolved normally.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-06-26 at 07:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 326

The effect of Chill Touch is Instantaneous: it charges your body with spell energy, with (up to) 1 charge per caster level. You deliver each charge with a successful melee touch attack, using the standard attack rules. That means you may make one touch attack as a standard action, or as many attacks per full attack action as your BAB allows. Your body remains charged until you have delivered all of the energy, or if you cast another spell the Chill Touch spell energy disappears. Using the standard rules for touch attack spells you are also allowed one attempt to deliver a spell charge in the round in which you cast this standard action spell. Note that this "bonus" attack is not part of the action of casting the spell, and you may move and/or take free actions between casting and attempting to deliver the charge.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

A couple of questions concerning Charging:

I'm using chessboard coordinates for these questions.

Q 328

Can a character who starts his turn in A1 charge a character in B4 by moving to A3 and then attacking diagonally?

Q 329

If the above is correct, can a small character mounted on a medium creature(just for ease of reference) continue to move to A7 if he has ride by attack and the mount a movement equal to or greater than 30 ft?

Q 330

What is the maximum distance a mounted character can travel after the charging attack? 2*Speed-10 ft?

Q 331

Does a medium character's reach weapon extend from the 4 squares his large mount occupies?

Q 332

Can a flying creature make a normal charge instead of a dive attack?

Q 333

If the answer to Q 332 is yes, does a flying creature benefit from fly-by-attack or improved fly-by-attack on such a charge? If not is there another way to achieve a movement - charging attack(s) - movement routine?

And now to something completely different:

Q 334

Are there playable races besides humans and half-elves that have Favored Class: Any?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-06-26 at 10:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A 328
    Yes. Because it's the closes square from which you can attack B4.

Q 329
    Yes (with 5ft squares and 30ft speed it could move up to 6 squares in straight line after attack).

A 330
    2 * speed

A 332 Yes.

A 333 No. Those feats allow fliers to take standard action during movement. Charge is full-round action.