New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Steven Universe: the Movie

I'll say this much, and I don't care if I'm being extreme, irrational, or bias: If no one says "If all pork chops were perfect we wouldn't have hot dogs," or some variation of the phrase this movie is garbage; no, I don't care how good the story, acting, music, or new character(s) are. I am unyielding!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    GT is canon.
    No, it's not.

GT was never anything but Apocrypha. the movies(Blood Rubies to Wrath of the Dragon) have a better claim to canon since Toriyama stated that those were stories that took place in alternate timeline's that could have happened but didn't(Though that no-longer applies to the Broly movies, since there's now a canon version of Broly that's incompatible with the original depiction)

I'm not disparaging you for liking it if that's what you're getting at, but Toriyama himself explicitly called it a "side-story" on a DVD release and both Dragon Ball Online(which was explicitly intended to be canon and under Toriyama's complete creative control) and Dragon Ball Super(Which is based on Toriyama's notes and outlines and, in the case of the three movies, get most of the details from Toriyama) ignore it completely.

Xenoverse and Heroes treat GT as a pocket universe created by Trunks breaking time in the Android arc, but their position in continuity is questionable. (The only videogame that is likily to be canon is FighterZ and even then really only Android 21, since Toriyama created her, wrote her backstory, owns her, and said he might make her part of the official story if people like her.)

Both the manga and anime version of Super completely invalidates any possibility of GT ever happening. (Most notably, the Shadow Dragons being a thing that can happen is utterly incompatible with Dende not giving a damn that Bulma used the Dragon Balls as a Bingo prize)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #33

Dende's also literally a child he wouldn't know the balls are have a karma meter.

Anyway, I don't always say this but I do somewhat agree with Magic_Hat. I do want them to bring back that phrase, I feel like it might be relevant to the villain possibly, or could be relevant in an interesting way.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Dende's also literally a child he wouldn't know the balls have a karma meter.
    In GT, Dende was the one who explained that the Dragon Balls are really only meant to be used once a century because of NEgative energy build up with each wish.

Which is really something he should have said years prior, which is another point against GT beign canon.

But if we're to keep up this discussion we should probably make a Dragon Ball thread.

On the Movie itself... My hope is that, since it's 2 hours and being aired without commercials, that we'll get to see a bit more of Rainbow 2.0. We only really got a touch of what they're like.

Maybe a brief exploration of how Lapis has been getting along with Bismuth since it's all but explicitly stated that Bismuth was the gem that poofed Lapis which led to Lapis being mistaken for a Crystal Gem and put in the mirror.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #35

Anyway, I don't always say this but I do somewhat agree with Magic_Hat. I do want them to bring back that phrase, I feel like it might be relevant to the villain possibly, or could be relevant in an interesting way.
    I'm not sure if this was apparent, but I was being very sarcastic in that post. I honestly don't care one way or the other if they evoke that phrase. I mean I wasn't going to dispel my sarcasm, but then you had to go and agree with me and make me seem logical and coherent. I hope you're happy!

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I'm not sure if this was apparent, but I was being very sarcastic in that post. I honestly don't care one way or the other if they evoke that phrase. I mean I wasn't going to dispel my sarcasm, but then you had to go and agree with me and make me seem logical and coherent. I hope you're happy!
    I am, Magic_Hat. I am.

Nothing is funnier to me than killing someone's sarcasm by pointing out "you realize that's actually a good point right?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I am, Magic_Hat. I am.

Nothing is funnier to me than killing someone's sarcasm by pointing out "you realize that's actually a good point right?"
    Well your going to have a harder time with me, because as a Steven Universe fan, I hope they show how a normal hetero-normative family and their dog is the worst then murder them. then turn Steven female, it just has to happen, then top it off with redeeming someone who tortures entire galaxies before destroying them mercilessly while having demonic horns on her head and cackling evilly, anything less is just not good enough.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #38

Raz I think you're forgetting the part where your sarcasm carries an actual good idea in it

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Raz I think you're forgetting the part where your sarcasm carries an actual good idea in it
    Impossibility is technically a harder difficulty. Just saiyan.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Given as once again, UK children's telly makes it impossible to watch anything with any continuity, and as Steven Universe didn't rate high enough to even check if there was a DVD (would be surprised I there was, even) and only the first season is on Netflix (because why would you ever bother with more than the first season, right? MLP only even made it to season five...), gonna pass.

Had UK children's telly's ballistic approach to showing not been present, I might actually have been vaguley able to follow the series, but sort of no point seeing it out of of sequence in random order.

(I was lucky to be able to stumble through enough of Gravity Falls to make it vaguely coherent, to be honest; and there is a reason I watched one episode of Avatar and then said "right, wait for the DVD..." I still have NIGHTMARES about trying to watch W.I.T.C.H, and I was trying to record that... The amount of times I started recording only to find it was the start of season 2 again... That may be what killed the last of my patience.

I think the only time EVER we got anything that wasn't awful was a very short period of time one summer before Toonami disintegrated and they started trying to put live-action in the cartoon channel, when for few short months, they were airing Pokémon Advanced Battle and Justice League Unlimited but on a Friday, they had a catch-up where they showed all the week's new episodes back to back. The one and only time that basically any of the channels really treated the viewers as attention-deficit goldfish...)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I am...unsure about this. The series ending left me feeling a bit hollow and unsatisfied to be honest, it didn't really pay off in any way I wanted it too. So a movie COULD fix that..or it could just make it worse.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    The series ending left me feeling a bit hollow and unsatisfied to be honest, it didn't really pay off in any way I wanted it too.
    I think it was one redemption too many or too fast.

The diamonds have destroyed ecosystem after ecosystem, possibly bringing sapient aliens to extinction. That certainly would have been the fate of humans.

Making Blue and Yellow turn good was already pushing it, though it became easier once White was revealed as the only true diamond authority. But White herself? And then everything is just dandy?

Of course, the writers were never at liberty to kill White. The show doesn't do that.

But perhaps White could have been introduced earlier? Or bubbled, until they can show her a better gem society? What about her backstory, which would tie into the origin of gems?

I don't think a movie could correct any of this, but a new series might.

13. - Top - End - #43

For what it's worth, the two year time skip was apparently being spent dismantling and rebuilding the Gem EMpire into something less conquest motivated.

At least, that's what my sources are telling me.

so it's not "hey, we're friends now, let's go back to business as usual."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Maybe a brief exploration of how Lapis has been getting along with Bismuth since it's all but explicitly stated that Bismuth was the gem that poofed Lapis which led to Lapis being mistaken for a Crystal Gem and put in the mirror.
    In interviews they've stated that our Bismuth was the one who poofed Lapis, but it was a warzone and Lapis doesn't know who it was, and Bismuth poofed a lot of Lapis' so she wouldn't know either.

GT isn't canon because it wasn't made by the creator, by the way. This is definitely made by Rebecca Sugar. So it's going to be great. Don't know why you wouldn't want more of a good thing.

15. - Top - End - #45

Well why don't you just head over to Sarcasm Land and overthrow the Sarcasm Monarch then? Why not just do that? No need to even pay for travel expenses. I'll pay for the entire trip because apparently I'm such a generous person!

Back to the thread subject, I do hope Andy is in the special. He's the best character ever, and I don't even know if I'm being serious. Whenever Andy isn't on screen all the other characters should say "Where's Andy?" Also Andy needs to be edgier, louder, and have access to a time machine.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Back to the thread subject, I do hope Andy is in the special. He's the best character ever, and I don't even know if I'm being serious. Whenever Andy isn't on screen all the other characters should say "Where's Andy?" Also Andy needs to be edgier, louder, and have access to a time machine.
    How about no

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Who? View Post
    How about no
    What are you? Some kind of person who doesn't enjoy seeing Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force on a children's show? Every children program should have an Adult Swim character. I want to see Spongebob meet Early Cuyler!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

GT isn't canon because it wasn't made by the creator, by the way.
    Why do you have to make weird, bait-y comments like this? Of course GT was made by the creator, or else it couldn't have been made. TV shows can't be made if nobody makes them. Saying things like that is just gonna lead to a pointless argument.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Why do you have to make weird, bait-y comments like this? Of course GT was made by the creator, or else it couldn't have been made. TV shows can't be made if nobody makes them. Saying things like that is just gonna lead to a pointless argument.
    Whoa, whoa, slow down your projecting hard there with "weird bait-y comments" comment. Your guilty of that far more than them:
    That won't stop people from joining discussions about the post-series material. They'll just have less knowledge and more dismissive opinions.

GT is canon.
    Its really weird you just brought up GT out of nowhere when we were making DBZ jokes about Steven Universe, and not even in a way that connects to anything, just something dropped at the end as if to provoke a reaction.

second is this very post where you make a bad argument for it being made Toriyama by acting as if Toriyama worked 100% on it was the only way, when really:
    Toriyama only made main cast drawings and the rough logo for GT, he designed the appearances of Giru and the ship, but it was Toei that did all the actual episode writing. so. crediting Toriyama with the story of GT is not accurate. he didn't even come up with SS4, that was a design by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.

his contribution was minimal and most of the work was done by other people. GT is basically an entire series of filler episodes. so your making some pretty ridiculous statements here, I'd recommend you stop and stop blaming other people for something your doing.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-09-01 at 02:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    second is this very post where you make a bad argument for it being made Toriyama by acting as if Toriyama worked 100% on it was the only way, when really:
    Toriyama only made main cast drawings and the rough logo for GT, he designed the appearances of Giru and the ship, but it was Toei that did all the actual episode writing. so. crediting Toriyama with the story of GT is not accurate. he didn't even come up with SS4, that was a design by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.

his contribution was minimal and most of the work was done by other people. GT is basically an entire series of filler episodes. so your making some pretty ridiculous statements here, I'd recommend you stop and stop blaming other people for something your doing.
    I didn't say anything at all about Akira Toriyama. I didn't make any sort of argument about his involvement, let alone a bad one. If you're going to argue against me, at least wait until I've actually made the point you're refuting.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you... literally telling me that “of course the show had a creator it was created” when it’s obvious in context I meant the original creator had no hand in it and doesn’t consider it canon so much that Akira totally retconned it. It’s a complete show made of bad filler.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Are you... literally telling me that “of course the show had a creator it was created” when it’s obvious in context I meant the original creator had no hand in it and doesn’t consider it canon so much that Akira totally retconned it. It’s a complete show made of bad filler.
    Yeah he is making a circular argument or even a tautology, and look how he is being intentionally vague and short with his comments instead of talking honestly and in specifics to be clear about what he is saying.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah he is making a circular argument or even a tautology, and look how he is being intentionally vague and short with his comments instead of talking honestly and in specifics to be clear about what he is saying.
    All I said was "GT is canon", which it is. Sorry for not listing every single reason why, like an obsessive wiki editor. I guess that makes me dishonest.

Please continue making the least charitable assumptions about me, over a single throwaway line you could have easily ignored. It's the most fun you could possibly have with an app.

Guess it couldn't hurt to actually make a comment about the Stoiven movie, at some point. They're gonna be befriending Space Fascist Mickey Mouse, by the look of it. Could be a good time, since they rushed the finale so obnoxiously.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2019-09-01 at 01:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Apocalypse.

The shields, laser cannons, and pistons aren't a function of the armor--the armor's power is that it changes shape when he does.

Apocalypse's primary power is that he has full control of his molecular structure and can draw additional molecules from an extra-dimensional space. Everything that isn't an energy blast and some of the things that are are the result of him being the ultimate logical extreme of a rubber-man type.
    No dispute from me that Apocalypse is plenty menacing, I guess I didn't remember that he can do Mr. Fantastic/Plastic Man shenanigans. Maybe the getting bigger, cannon-hand, energy blasts and all were more memorable for me, and seemed different from the usual stretchy-guy powers.

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler
    Show
    Steven picking a flower and then using his healing spit to heal the flower is the most Steven thing possible.
    Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In general, I think that this movie was perfect for what it was trying to be. I still want more SU, but I'd be satisfied if this was the end.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-09-02 at 06:30 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Holy amazing masterwork of SU

27. - Top - End - #57
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler: SU movie
    Show
    I wanted to love this movie, but I felt... a little disappointed. I think something that Steven said near the end was the problem I had with it--Pink abandoned her friend for 6000 years so she takes revenge on Steven by killing the planet and Steven has to fix another one of Pink's mistakes and save the world. An he does. Exactly as the SU formula says. It wasn't a bad formula, but I was expecting something different.

Half the songs were pretty good and the Steven/Greg fusion was a nice surprise. I enjoyed that part.

Overall, I guess it was okay. Likely wouldn't see it a second time though.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spinnel is my new favorite gem :)

Spoiler
    Show
    Jesus Christ Rose....

29. - Top - End - #59

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Rock and/or Roll
    Show
    I didn't expect the movie to be a musical though that wasn't exactly a secret I just never actually watched the trailers... so that's on me. In retrospect it makes sense.

Let's see... The diamond authority is more terrifying than I remember. Could probably just photoshop white diamond's face into some overly attached girlfriend memes. White still has progress to make in this being a good person thing. And I'm more than alittle concerned of the white washing of the whole gem civil war and aftermath that seems to be the narrative the authority is selling to their empire. Maybe that wasn't the intention but the summary of their backstory exposition kinda comes off propaganda-y.

Steve and Connie are cute together. I would have liked to see her around for more of the story. I enjoy that Lapis is still as snarky as ever. We get more exposition to catch us up. It takes more time than I would have preferred.

The main cast pulled a Gohan and forgot to keep training after they saved the world so they got their butts handed to them by the new villain when she appeared. I'm not sure where she got her hard wear from to sterilize planets of organic life or her factory reset scythe. I suppose that's the sort of thing it was alluded to in the show that the diamonds did to people that was worse than shattering. But yeah given the villains backstory I don't know where exactly she grabbed this stuff. She wouldn't have it on hand and any information she might have had about where such things were stored was 6000 years out of date. Maybe it's just that she had access to Pink Diamond's console. Villain animates like an old Tex Avery cartoon which is neat is not a little out of place. Perhaps it makes her a bit creepier.

I found Pearl's factory reset revelation kinda fascinating. Seeing more of the gems in their default behavior potentially gives us a bit more about gem society. Fixing the problem wasn't my favorite part of the movie. Randomly and haphazardly trying to spark their memories by trying to force them to go through their previous experiences kinda comes off as a bit contrived and easy when it pays off. Spinel is pretty obnoxious during this section of the movie. But all this is needed for the eventual pay off.

We wouldn't have gotten Steven and Greg's fusion without it. I shall christen thee Steg. Of course their super power is being a rock god and it is glorious. Also Spinel's backstory is genuinely horrible and tragic. Of course she went nuts. Pink really knows how to screw everything up.

Overall I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by DeadMech; 2019-09-03 at 02:39 PM.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it bad that I kind of just want to wrap Spinel in a blanket and fed her soup?

I mean, yeah, she caused a load of damage but everything got fixed in the end and no one deserves to be abandoned like that.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks