New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti Durkon

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Daemon

Default Anti Durkon

Anyone think of a good reason why the linear guild were stupid enough not to hire a counterpart for Durkon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anti Durkon

Has it occured to you that we may not have seen him or her yet?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Panel 4: The attack on the OotS was thrown together at the last minute. Nale wasn't planning to fight them. He just took his chance because they appeared to be following him. He may not have had the opportunity to hire a high level divine caster.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You never know...

Spoiler
    Show

Could just be a design choice. Could be indicating something we haven't seen just yet...

Given that it is all the current LG pictured, I don't think the gnome is in the lineup just to fill up space. But that's my personal interpretation.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-11-22 at 05:50 AM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

The last-minute thing sort of makes sense, but remember that Nale is also planning on overthrowing Tarquin, Malack and the Emperess. He would definitely need a high level cleric to handle Malack.

The only thing I can think of is that he hasn't been able to find one that is both sufficiently high level and willing to fight Malack. I really doubt there's any such in the Empire of Blood, so he should have found one before getting there.

Perhaps he thinks he can ally himself with the Draketooths and one of them can fill that position.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    You never know...

Spoiler
    Show

Could just be a design choice. Could be indicating something we haven't seen just yet...

Given that it is all the current LG pictured, I don't think the gnome is in the lineup just to fill up space. But that's my personal interpretation.
    I find it pretty implausible that rich would let something slip in a way like this. It's sorta like people trying to read stuff into the Oracle's position on the OoTS poster.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    I find it pretty implausible that rich would let something slip in a way like this. It's sorta like people trying to read stuff into the Oracle's position on the OoTS poster.
    It could be a scenario like the Oracle's position on the poster, but I don't feel that it is. It was suggested in the Holiday Stuff thread and Rich hasn't yet contradicted it. It isn't like it would be letting some huge detail slip if it is true - not exactly a big plot twist or anything. Anywho, we'll see as the plot progresses.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfFighterGuy

It could be a scenario like the Oracle's position on the poster, but I don't feel that it is. It was suggested in the Holiday Stuff thread and Rich hasn't yet contradicted it. It isn't like it would be letting some huge detail slip if it is true - not exactly a big plot twist or anything. Anywho, we'll see as the plot progresses.
    Rich has been keeping his posts in that thread to most business stuff. It's not his job to shoot down every fan's minor theory. Seriously, there are several examples of merchandise not really matching reality. The cover of SoD is another.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Has it occured to you that we may not have seen him or her yet?
    What are you trying to say? That Rich has plans and revelations for this comic that we as an audience have to be patient to learn of because it's all part of his storytelling method? Impossible I say!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Unless Pompey and Leeky's bromance was decidedly more short-lived than was necessary for a spinoff comic, I don't see him in a hurry to help the Linear Guild, especially not now, especially not here, in the desert, where there are no trees, which he likes.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Anyone think of a good reason why the linear guild were stupid enough not to hire a counterpart for Durkon.
    Let's see...

Durkon is a law-abiding, reliable, dwarven cleric of Thor.

Therefore they hired his opposite, Nokrud, who is a Chaotic Evil Fire Giant worshipper of Sutur who immediately voided his contract because he couldn't be bothered to turn up for the fight.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Rich has been keeping his posts in that thread to most business stuff. It's not his job to shoot down every fan's minor theory. Seriously, there are several examples of merchandise not really matching reality. The cover of SoD is another.
    I stated in my initial post that it could mean nothing. It could very well be a marketing choice. If the LG even has another member right now, however, that sticker is all we have to go on at the moment. I know there are many reasons why Rich may not respond to a theory.

I don't have a lot hanging on the theory, I just thought it was interesting that in a very up-to-date picture of the LG, Leeky of all people was chosen to fit that spot. To me that either means there isn't another LG member, or the member is Leeky. To have someone show up and not be Leeky would render the merchandise highly inaccurate, since it is of the Desert LG and not just LG in general.

Anywho, this is one of those threads where there is no real answer at the moment because we just don't know.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Let's see...

Durkon is a law-abiding, reliable, dwarven cleric of Thor.

Therefore they hired his opposite, Nokrud, who is a Chaotic Evil Fire Giant worshipper of Sutur who immediately voided his contract because he couldn't be bothered to turn up for the fight.
    Hilarious! It explains everything so neatly and is a good joke besides.

I doubt there's an Anti-Durkon, though -- after all, this attack on the Order wasn't planned, as other people have pointed out. It was just some accidental mayhem that went badly for the Linear Guild.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    Unless Pompey and Leeky's bromance was decidedly more short-lived than was necessary for a spinoff comic, I don't see him in a hurry to help the Linear Guild, especially not now, especially not here, in the desert, where there are no trees, which he likes.
    Might be another druid. Or Nale realised that Leeky was actually the only member of the LG ever to be effective in combat with the OotS, and "forgave" him (obviously planning to take his cruel revenge later once he's no longer needed). Or Leeky pretended he had been working on a way to get them out all along when they found him, and Nale failed his Sense Motive.

Or... Nale could finally have tossed the whole stupid "evil opposite" idea out the window, and they have no divine caster, because they're stupid.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Regardless of how much time the Guild had, there will be an anti-Durkon shortly, and it seems improbable that it would be Orrin, let alone Girard himself, since Illusionist is Arcane . More likely Nale just won't bother springing Z as escaping Tarquin's justice system has already been proven to be impossible, and Orrin will be the new arcane caster. Not to mention for all we know Girard is dead by now and the gate is guarded solely by his son (or possibly grandson). Who knows? Only the Giant.
    Last edited by King Bosco III; 2011-11-22 at 11:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Anywho, this is one of those threads where there is no real answer at the moment because we just don't know.
    OK, now I just feel like you're fishing for quotes for your compilation thread.

The presence, absence, position, or style of any character on any piece of merchandise has no bearing on any future (or past) plot points. I design the merchandise to look good and sell well. Usually, I specifically design the merchandise in order to avoid any sort of plot relevance; the Thog kids shirt still has all his tusks unbroken, for example. I generally choose the most "iconic" look for each character, if there is such a thing.

In the case of Leeky, there were three reasons I chose him:
    1. He was shorter than Hilgya, and thus better parodied the "child" slot of the original family stickers.
    2. He is the only druid in the comic, and has strong appeal to people who like druids.
    3. He is significantly less of a pain in the ass to convert to line art than Hilgya is, due to differences in how I constructed the art way back during the first book. And I had a lot of art to make for those shirts.

I assure you that reason #3 was the biggest factor, by a fair margin.

Also, my lack of commenting on a topic does not implicitly confirm or deny the proposition being put forth. Sometimes, I just don't care enough to respond. I may be low on time and decide that something is too trivial to bother answering. Heck, the fact that I respond to things at all is a relatively recent development.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    [*]He is the only druid in the comic, and has strong appeal to people who like druids.
    On behalf of my fellow druid fans -- thank you.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I thought the reason Nale picked Leeky was 'cause Leeky is a druid (likes trees), and Durkon hates/is terrified of trees...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Augusta View Post
    I thought the reason Nale picked Leeky was 'cause Leeky is a druid (likes trees), and Durkon hates/is terrified of trees...
    Yes, that was the way Leeky was Durkon's opposite. That's not the question that was asked. ThePhantasm was referring to Leeky's appearance on the Linear Guild bumper sticker, despite the newest kobold's and Zzdtri's presence. You'll notice Hilgya and Pompey are absent, and that the sticker therefore spans multiple incarnations of the Linear Guild.
    Last edited by NerfTW; 2011-11-22 at 05:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Couldnt Nale just go back to the people that sent him a Church of Loki representative and get another? I mean Hilgya isnt the only Priest of Loki in the comic, and one of them now knows how to solve his problems with violence....

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Heck, the fact that I respond to things at all is a relatively recent development.
    I for one really appreciate it, btw.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, now I just feel like you're fishing for quotes for your compilation thread.
    I actually didn't expect a response to this, but it is much appreciated all the same!

In the case of Leeky, there were three reasons I chose him:
    1. He was shorter than Hilgya, and thus better parodied the "child" slot of the original family stickers.
    2. He is the only druid in the comic, and has strong appeal to people who like druids.
    3. He is significantly less of a pain in the ass to convert to line art than Hilgya is, due to differences in how I constructed the art way back during the first book. And I had a lot of art to make for those shirts.

I assure you that reason #3 was the biggest factor, by a fair margin.
    Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Kinda answered your own question right there, I think.

And I'd like to echo Dragonglove's sentiment: I do appreciate it when the Giant takes the time to post in the forums.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    Couldnt Nale just go back to the people that sent him a Church of Loki representative and get another? I mean Hilgya isnt the only Priest of Loki in the comic, and one of them now knows how to solve his problems with violence....
    He didn't go to anyone to get Hilgya specifically. She sought him out on Loki's orders to steal the amulet from Nale.

And sure, he could just go get another cleric of Loki, but then we'd have missed the Leeky Windstaff jokes. There's no reason to get another cleric of Loki over anyone else, really. And he had magic items on hand to deal with Durkon instead of finding someone new, assuming there isn't a sixth member still running around the castle or the canyon.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by with an e View Post
    Panel 4: The attack on the OotS was thrown together at the last minute. Nale wasn't planning to fight them. He just took his chance because they appeared to be following him. He may not have had the opportunity to hire a high level divine caster.
    That's an argument that would be a lot more convincing if he hadn't gone to the trouble of recruiting a cat-hating, dual-wielding kobold.

I incline more to the explanation that we haven't seen Durkon's counterpart yet.

(Or that it is indeed Malack, and the whole balcony scene was staged, which would explain why the Inflict Wounds attack missed. But that seems a bit of a stretch even by forum-conspiracy-theory standards.)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually have a theory in regards to this....

As was pointed out in another thread, fatherhood seems to be a running theme lately. I can't think of a more apt time to re-introduce Hilgya with Durkon's child as a statement on fatherhood. After all, Elan and Nale show the case as to how different a father figure can make a child and Haley and Roy both demonstrate how having a father figure present might not work out for the best. Then our be-bearded cleric has to make a moral call about whether to split from the Order to raise his child, or abandon the child in order to continue the quest, thus generating tasty, tasty character growth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

In the case of Leeky, there were three reasons I chose him:[*]He is the only druid in the comic, and has strong appeal to people who like druids.
    Isn't Lirian (Durokan's girlfriend) a druid?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hoff View Post
    Isn't Lirian (Durokan's girlfriend) a druid?
    She's basically a bonus-material-only character (SoD). So putting her on merchandise seems to be less wise than using some character that is known from the online strip with more than a few obscure hints or one or two appearances.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Heck, the fact that I respond to things at all is a relatively recent development.
    And we love you all the more for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #30

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by with an e View Post
    Not having a divine caster in your adventuring party is incredibly stupid, though. Even for Nale.