New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter #117

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Sub-Zero, that is your opinion. Some people enjoy the madness of Random Banter.
    Isn't people's opinion what we're talking about here though....
    or does mine not count

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
    Isn't people's opinion what we're talking about here though....
    or does mine not count
    Sorry, I apologise, I'm just saying a nice and entertaining title (as long as it isn't too long) can be the key to attracting new Random Banterites and may or may not encourage older Random Banterites to post either A) More Often or B) More enthusiastically.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Carried over from last thread:

Why all the Romantic hate? They're really easy to analyse if you remember the main themes and some key events.
    After that you just lie your way through it all. Like me. Anything can be said as long as you make a link to a theme or event or it makes sense.

I've also become employed as a tutor in three subjects. Money? I has you.

I also found out when my May/June exams are. All three of my French exams start the same time. On the same day. And each one last for an hour or two.
    I've got somewhere around four hours of French. Back to back that day. :smallwearenotamused:
    Oh well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

What, no witty character name title???? I sure hope this doesn't become a trend. It makes RB less enticing.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post

Why all the Romantic hate? They're really easy to analyse if you remember the main themes and some key events.
    After that you just lie your way through it all. Like me. Anything can be said as long as you make a link to a theme or event or it makes sense.

I also found out when my May/June exams are. All three of my French exams start the same time. On the same day. And each one last for an hour or two.
    I've got somewhere around four hours of French. Back to back that day. :smallwearenotamused:
    Oh well.
    I haven't really looked at any romance novels. So I know next to nothing of the genre.
    Also, the tutoring is a good thing, good for you. *Thumbs up*
    I've also got May/June exams, but I've also got March/April exams. Which includes my French Oral (Real one this time) and my Drama Final Exam. I'm looking forward to Drama because the stimuli/stimulae, are a large extract of West Side Story and Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. I'm more happy about the second one.
    June is going to be the killer month though, I've got a good 7+ exams that month as well as my birthday, fortunately, I don't have an exam on my birthday.
    Also, I did my Maths M9 exam today (Level 9: A-Grade) and I must say, the first paper seemed too easy, although I'm probably just being paranoid.
    The crowning moment to my day (Which others already know about) was English this morning (Only 20mins left after Maths exam).
    We were asked to write a tribute to Lennie (from Of Mice and Men) from the viewpoint of George. It was a quick ten minute excercise.
    This is what I wrote.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lennie, I'm sorry for everything, for all the things I've done to you, for all the mean things I've said to you, for all the times I've got mad at you. I should never have said things like "If it weren't for you". I realise now that you were never a burden, you were a gift, without you, I'd just be taking my fifty bucks and blowing it all in one night. You gave me a dream, something for us to look forward to and now you're living that dream in heaven.
    Rest in peace my friend.

I got a lot of praise for that, a girl in my class asked me to write something like that when she died, which although creepy filled me with quite a bit of pride.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Fredthefighter: I know a bit more about your loves than your grief, and so there's less chance of me being startled by what you wrote. Still, I'm frequently on the lookout for new verses. Do share.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Fredthefighter: I know a bit more about your loves than your grief, and so there's less chance of me being startled by what you wrote. Still, I'm frequently on the lookout for new verses. Do share.
    Just let me find the book I wrote it down in. Ah, found it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is in lights' grace that a man can truly love,
    But it is only in shadows' anger that he truly hates.
    Yet it is in both darkness and effervescent light that I trule love thee.
    Thine wondrous beauty is both awe inspiring and intimidating,
    For thou art a marvellous being born from both sides of the coin,
    And I would give everything, even my last breath, to be near you for just one moment of time.

Also, please, call me Fred, or Frederick, or Freddyfoo. I go by all of those names.
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-03-09 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

9. - Top - End - #39

I haven't really looked at any romance novels. So I know next to nothing of the genre.
    No. Not romance but Romantic. As in: the Romantic movement dating from the 1750s with the publisihng of the Lyrical Ballads of Wordsworth and Coleridge (author of the infamous Kubla Khan) to such famous poets as John Keats (To Autumn); Percy Shelley and Lord Byron.
    This was told to you in the previous thread.
    ANd I do not read romance. ANd why would I mention studying it in college; I'd hardly talk about themes and analysis of such tawdry stuff as Mills and Boon would I?
    The Romantic period is very important as it was a counter to the Age of Enlightenment which was very scientific and driven by the Industrial Revolution and exploration. Its main themes were the sublime (the awesome (in the literal, not slang definition), especially the power and beauty of nature; aestheticism; Greek and Roman mythology; Love; immortality; the transcience of humanity; nature as nature and death.
    It can be seen as directly inspiring certain aspects of the Gothic genre (dudes and dudettes, check out the Shelley), especially the descriptions of wild nature/nature as an imposing/negative force cf. Wuthering Heights. Modernism and post - modernism can also be said to be directly descended from Romanticism as Oscar Wilde's favourite poet was Keats: "he walks eternal in the heavens with the Greeks and Shakespeare" (paraphrased) and T. S. Eliot also loved Keats, although he had some misgivings about the final two lines of Ode on a Grecian Urn. Which, by the way, is probably where we get our phrase "truth is beauty, beauty truth/ That is all ye know and all ye need to know on earth".
    Again, quoting from memory, so this may not be exact.
    And I personally find Keats' poems wonderful and evocative. Especially his six odes and Lamia which were all written in one summer; many of his other narrative poems (practically every schoolchild in the UK does La Belle Dame Sans Merci - or should do). ANd his sonnets can be beautiful too.
    One of my favourite ever quotes (which now adorn my schoolbag) is "silent upon a peak in Darien".
    For the last eight or so months all my MSN personal messages have generally been Keats quotes.
    Or Bowie ones.
    At the moment it lists some names for Satan. In a fairly call proclamation. Atleast, I think so, your mileage may vary.
    [/rant about something which I am well versed in and am annoyed at that someone forgot what Romanticism is even though he was told less then twenty hours ago]

We were asked to write a tribute to Lennie (from Of Mice and Men) from the viewpoint of George. It was a quick ten minute excercise.
    This is what I wrote.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lennie, I'm sorry for everything, for all the things I've done to you, for all the mean things I've said to you, for all the times I've got mad at you. I should never have said things like "If it weren't for you". I realise now that you were never a burden, you were a gift, without you, I'd just be taking my fifty bucks and blowing it all in one night. You gave me a dream, something for us to look forward to and now you're living that dream in heaven.
    Rest in peace my friend.

I got a lot of praise for that, a girl in my class asked me to write something like that when she died, which although creepy filled me with quite a bit of pride.
    And again. I can read. It's my main attribute. I just chose not to comment on it.
    It's okay though; but POV's a bit strange. It could flow better, but the concepts and phrasing of certain clauses is something I'd expect in famous and well acclaimed authors. However, I've noticed that you really do need to work on fluidity in your works.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-03-09 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

No. Not romance but Romantic. As in: the Romantic movement dating from the 1750s with the publisihng of the Lyrical Ballads of Wordsworth and Coleridge (author of the infamous Kubla Khan) to such famous poets as John Keats (To Autumn); Percy Shelley and Lord Byron.
    This was told to you in the previous thread.
    ANd I do not read romance. ANd why would I mention studying it in college; I'd hardly talk about themes and analysis of such tawdry stuff as Mills and Boon would I?
    The Romantic period is very important as it was a counter to the Age of Enlightenment which was very scientific and driven by the Industrial Revolution and exploration. Its main themes were the sublime (the awesome (in the literal, not slang definition), especially the power and beauty of nature; aestheticism; Greek and Roman mythology; Love; immortality; the transcience of humanity; nature as nature and death.
    It can be seen as directly inspiring certain aspects of the Gothic genre (dudes and dudettes, check out the Shelley), especially the descriptions of wild nature/nature as an imposing/negative force cf. Wuthering Heights. Modernism and post - modernism can also be said to be directly descended from Romanticism as Oscar Wilde's favourite poet was Keats: "he walks eternam in the heavens with the Greeks and Shakespeare" (paraphrased) and T. S. Eliot also loved Keats, although he had some misgivings about the final two lines of Ode on a Grecian Urn. Which, by the way, is probably where we get our phrase "truth is beauty, beauty truth/ That is all ye know and all ye need to know on earth".
    Again, quoting from memory, so this may not be exact.
    And I personally find Keats' poems wonderful and evocative. Especially his six odes and Lamia which were all written in one summer; many of his other narrative poems (practically every schoolchild in the UK does La Belle Dame Sans Merci - or should do). ANd his sonnets can be beautiful too.
    One of my favourite ever quotes (which now adorn my schoolbag) is "silent upon a peak in Darien".
    For the last eight or so months all my MSN personal messages have generally been Keats quotes.
    Or Bowie ones.
    At the moment it lists some names for Satan. In a fairly call proclamation. Atleast, I think so, your mileage may vary.
    [/rant about something which I am well versed in and am annoyed at that someone forgot what Romanticism is even though he was told less then twenty hours ago]

And again. I can read. It's my main attribute. I just chose not to comment on it.
    It's okay though; but POV's a bit strange. It could flow better, but the concepts and phrasing of certain clauses is something I'd expect in famous and well acclaimed authors. However, I've noticed that you really do need to work on fluidity in your works.
    Sorry, I apologise, twice.
    Thanks for the famous author bit though, I didn't think it was that good, just good enough for me to be proud of. I'm a reader not a writer.
    Also, POV? I understand, fluidity is my main problem, I have a tendency to "waffle on a bit".
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Happily I never had to study Romantic poetry, I just read it in my own time. I'm sure it's pretty easy to analyse though, it's very structured and thematic which is really the recipe for easy literary criticism. But being easy to analyse doesn't mean I have to like it. I got full marks for my A-Level exam on Frankenstein (Romanticism in novel form!) but I maintain that it's one of the worst novels I've ever read. It's always struck me as perhaps 10 pages of decent writing with the rest being Mary Shelley going "Gosh, aren't mountains pretty?", which may partly be excused by the fact that it was a short story she made longer but it's still dull. [/Rant]

Congrats on the tutoring! Hope it goes well. I guess you're tutoring English?

In other news, I spent 7 hours on trains today. This makes me sad.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

A Kaela update? Well, nicely named new thread, you can most certainly have one, what with you being so darned lovely and clean, and not.. cluttered. Not faking the "madFUNlulz" of other threads. I'm doing well. Still can't finish the fracking Bell Jar. Lessons going well, and, um..
    This update is getting much tiresome. Screw it.
    *hugs Koorly*
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    *wakes up*

I'm WET! I'm wet and I'm hysterical!Someone had better get this or I will be upset
    Don't worry, I get it. I was watching it on demand just a few days ago.

14. - Top - End - #44

@Fred: snarky SnarlKoorly/LiteraryKoorly came to the front. She's picky when it comes to literary movements. And I have seen famous authors write something similar to that.
    And it was silly you made the same mistake in less than eighteen hours.
    POV: yes, it's abstract, but any particular character riving it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Happily I never had to study Romantic poetry, I just read it in my own time. I'm sure it's pretty easy to analyse though, it's very structured and thematic which is really the recipe for easy literary criticism. But being easy to analyse doesn't mean I have to like it. I got full marks for my A-Level exam on Frankenstein (Romanticism in novel form!) but I maintain that it's one of the worst novels I've ever read. It's always struck me as perhaps 10 pages of decent writing with the rest being Mary Shelley going "Gosh, aren't mountains pretty?", which may partly be excused by the fact that it was a short story she made longer but it's still dull. [/Rant]
    I love the stuff.
    And it's true about the easy thing. I can't abide by modern poetry and people say it's easy. So . . . so . . . so!
    Frankenstein's a good book, but it'd definitely be a lot better is she axed or at least halved some, if not all, the nature scenes. I can see the dullness though; the actual pace didn't pick up until roughly half way through if I remember correctly.
    This years AS students (new syllabus) are doin g Frankenstein; but comparing it to another book of their choice from that genre out of a choice of Dracula, Dorian Gray, Wuthering Heights (I think) and another one.
    That'd be quite cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Congrats on the tutoring! Hope it goes well. I guess you're tutoring English?
    English Language, English Literature and French. For the middle one I'd need the texts a week or so before I got down to the teaching. I'm not sure of proper tutor - y charges, so it's Ł5 - 7 an hour. Quite reasonable I think.

And I have the freakiest homework I only just remembered I had to do today. It's in French. ABout a picture and article about a Muslim Barbie.
    No in - depth discussion. Just odd as homework yes?

@Kaela: any reason for the hug? *hugs back*

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Chiming in for the first time in years!

Romantic poetry is beautiful. I spent a lot of time in school reading it and I never stopped being amazed by the works of the poets of the age. I'm less enamored of the fiction of the time, but that's true of every era for me.

Also: I hate that the word "romance" is taken to have such negative connotations anymore. Remember when it didn't mean some trashy pulp novel about a sweet and sensitive man learning to love again in the gentle arms of his new lover? Remember when it was about adventure and excitement, and the triumph of great men and women? Remember Chretien de Trois? I do. *sniffle*

Also also: today, I became officially broke. I have no job, and now $42 to my name. Whee!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

@Fred: snarky SnarlKoorly/LiteraryKoorly came to the front. She's picky when it comes to literary movements. And I have seen famous authors write something similar to that.
    And it was silly you made the same mistake in less than eighteen hours.
    POV: yes, it's abstract, but any particular character riving it?
    Ah, there are characters thriving in it. Lennie (the person being talked about) is dead and George (his best friend who shot him to prevent him from being lynched and to give him a mercifully painless death) is the one saying it. I think it may be meant to be abstract though, we weren't told much about the task than just to do it.
    Same mistake? What mistake did I make yesterday then? Can't remember, seriously, 18 hours ago, was 3am this morning, I was asleep then. I didn't get onto my laptop until 3.30pm anyway and I didn't start talking to you until roughly 30mins ago. So what mistake did I make?
    I'm just being curious here, it sort of matters but it doesn't mostly.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

@Kaela: any reason for the hug? *hugs back*
    Oh, there're reasons for everything, nearly, I'd imagine. Even in space.
    How're you? I realise, of course, that you're staying intelligent, and feeling perhaps a tiny bit annoyed with a number of things, because people always are, and that you're probably either enjoying weather or not enjoying weather, so I'm hoping for an answer than has something that can make me cry, or want to kill Fred again, or burn down a building, or get me to write, again. Hopefully.

Oh! An anecdote! Essay competition - I remembered half past eleven last night, and spewed one out. W00t. Now, however, I have to read it out. In front of people. A few of whom I fancy. Oy.

@Phoe: Oy! *offers condolences* Elaborate?
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    How're you? I realise, of course, that you're staying intelligent, and feeling perhaps a tiny bit annoyed with a number of things, because people always are, and that you're probably either enjoying weather or not enjoying weather, so I'm hoping for an answer than has something that can make me cry, or want to kill Fred again, or burn down a building, or get me to write, again. Hopefully.

Oh! An anecdote! Essay competition - I remembered half past eleven last night, and spewed one out. W00t. Now, however, I have to read it out. In front of people. A few of whom I fancy. Oy.

@Phoe: Oy! *offers condolences* Elaborate?
    Please don't kill me. I don't want an argument or a fight or even a "creative discussion".
    Also, why is it you want to kill me so much?
    Point 3: Phoe, that's rough, I wish there was something I could do, but there isn't. All I can do is as Kaelaroth said, offer condolences.
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-03-09 at 04:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Please don't kill me. I don't want an argument or a fight or even a "creative discussion".
    Also, why is it you want to kill me so much?
    See this song? She's singing about me.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Phaedra: Hours spent on a train far surpass the same number of hours spent on a bus. Count the blessing of being able to read without getting motion-sick!

Kaelaroth: . . .At least it's short?

I can't help you on finding out what teachers may want out of The Bell Jar; that was summer reading for the year I changed high schools. Suppose you could discuss whether shallow (like the other debutantes' spirit/mind) is the same as empty (the narrator's spirit/mind) is the same as sterile (the space under a bell jar).

Fredthefighter: Thanks for the familiarity, but for labeling multiple responses in one post, sticking to the forum name, odd characters and spacing included, is the most clear method.

I won't tidy this into paragraphs, but will leave it as a stream of consciousness, a yammering conversation among a writers' circle. On a scale of criticism from one to five*, that should place it at about a three, instead of my usual four to four-point-five.

That isn't a poem.
    Why not? It's one complete thought, too private for prose, and too refined for ordinary language.
    Is it? . . .
    . . .Too refined? Maybe not. But otherwise, yes, it's a poem.
    In translation, perhaps.
    Odi et amo? . . .
    Heh. Yes. Our good friend Catullus. Wasn't he more terse than that?
    Yes. And this proto-poem could use some pruning, but not to the extent it becomes only a translation of Odi et amo. After all, if it were, we'd only be reading the middle two lines.
    The first two lines--the first couplet--are balanced. But are they necessary to write out? Couldn't they be implied?
    This--is not--Catullus! Invoking those lines of duality is as necessary to this author as Homer's call to the muse!
    Not just this author.
    Heh.
    (a few moments' silence among the circle, someone's feet scuffing the carpet)
    . . .Men.
    Yes.
    . . .The poem--
    --Proto-poem--
    Line five implies the first couplet. If this were being tightened for publication, one of them would have to go. Line five is more compact, it says both that there's duality, which took two lines to say earlier, and that she's born of the duality.
    It could still stay, though.
    It could. There should be more in the first couplet, though, if line five stays.
    Line six is six-and-seven.
    It's too long for the form.
    What form? It's free verse.
    The form of one major thought on every line! Five has a major and a minor thought. Six has. . .
    Tautologies.
    Oof. Yes. I see. That's time mentioned three times in one line and once would be quite enough.
    Can't we just cut line six entirely? If the reader can't assume the fact of the speaker's longing for the lady by this point, I'd be inclined to call them deaf and blind--
    THIS--IS NOT--CATULLUS!
    Well of course not, but it doesn't need to be sprawling Hallmark either, it's not like there's a meter or rhyme to pad out. . .

*On the intensity of feedback:

One: I read it and acknowledge that I read it.
    Two: I read it and here's a few things I like about it.
    Three: Here's a few things I like and a few I dislike.
    Four: I'm an amateur, not an editor, but I'd change this before you submit it. . .
    Five: Do this, this, and this, and get this published.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't help you on finding out what teachers may want out of The Bell Jar; that was summer reading for the year I changed high schools. Suppose you could discuss whether shallow (like the other debutantes' spirit/mind) is the same as empty (the narrator's spirit/mind) is the same as sterile (the space under a bell jar)
    'tis no school assignment. 'tis me trying to read it. 'tis me failing to read it. 'tis such a darned pity; I love her poetry so very much. Along with Anne Sexton's of course, I see them hand in hand.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

This years AS students (new syllabus) are doing Frankenstein; but comparing it to another book of their choice from that genre out of a choice of Dracula, Dorian Gray, Wuthering Heights (I think) and another one.
    That'd be quite cool.
    Can I just say... lucky so-and-sos. AS English Lit I got analyse A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde (yay!) and Spies by Michael-bloody-Frayn.

Can I just say: most boring, pointless book in the history of mankind. Seriously. Just... urgh... GET OVER YOUR FIXATION WITH THE SMELL OF PRIVET ALREADY!

Yes, the smell of privet is a recurring theme in the book. Yes, that's right. Not a device, but a theme. Plus there's no real plot resolution, and...

Y'know, I could go on all night, but it'd just be a waste of everyone's time.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaedra: Hours spent on a train far surpass the same number of hours spent on a bus. Count the blessing of being able to read without getting motion-sick!

I can't help you on finding out what teachers may want out of The Bell Jar; that was summer reading for the year I changed high schools. Suppose you could discuss whether shallow (like the other debutantes' spirit/mind) is the same as empty (the narrator's spirit/mind) is the same as sterile (the space under a bell jar).

Fredthefighter: Thanks for the familiarity, but for labeling multiple responses in one post, sticking to the forum name, odd characters and spacing included, is the most clear method.

I won't tidy this into paragraphs, but will leave it as a stream of consciousness, a yammering conversation among a writers' circle. On a scale of criticism from one to five*, that should place it at about a three, instead of my usual four to four-point-five.

That isn't a poem.
    Why not? It's one complete thought, too private for prose, and too refined for ordinary language.
    Is it? . . .
    In translation, perhaps.
    Odi et amo? . . .
    Yes. And this proto-poem could use some pruning, but not to the extent it becomes only a translation of Odi et amo. After all, if it were, we'd only be reading the middle two lines.
    The first two lines--the first couplet--are balanced. But are they necessary to write out? Couldn't they be implied?
    This--is not--Catullus! Invoking those lines of duality is as necessary to this author as Homer's call to the muse!
    Not just this author.
    Heh.
    . . .Men.
    Yes.
    . . .The poem--
    --Proto-poem--
    Line five implies the first couplet. If this were being tightened for publication, one of them would have to go. Line five is more compact, it says both that there's duality, which took two lines to say earlier, and that she's born of the duality.
    It could. There should be more in the first couplet, though, if line five stays.
    The form of one major thought on every line! Five has a major and a minor thought. Six has. . .
    Tautologies.
    Oof. Yes. I see. That's time mentioned three times in one line and once would be quite enough.
    Can't we just cut line six entirely? If the reader can't assume the fact of the speaker's longing for the lady by this point, I'd be inclined to call them deaf and blind--
    THIS--IS NOT--CATULLUS!
    Well of course not, but it doesn't need to be sprawling Hallmark either, it's not like there's a meter or rhyme to pad out. . .

Four: I'm an amateur, not an editor, but I'd change this before you submit it. . .
    I understood very little about that. I'm 15, I don't know who Catullus is. I don't know what tautologies are. I have barely any clue on the works of Homer, despite having heard about him.
    I'm not a poetry guy, I like fantasy books. Salvatore, Tolkein, Rowling, Rick Riordan, Horowitz, Paolini, Colfer, Pullman, Pratchett, Nathan Long, William King, Kazuki Takahashi, Stan Lee, etc, etc. These people are my idols, true, I have respect for Shakespeare and Byron, but I prefer to immerse myself in a fantasy world of goblins and ghouls, wizards and warriors, heroes and villains. Where the limit of the world is my own imagination and the words the writer has written.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I understood very little about that. I'm 15, I don't know who Catullus is. I don't know what tautologies are. I have barely any clue on the works of Homer, despite having heard about him.
    I'm not a poetry guy, I like fantasy books. Salvatore, Tolkein, Rowling, Rick Riordan, Horowitz, Paolini, Colfer, Pullman, Pratchett, Nathan Long, William King, Kazuki Takahashi, Stan Lee, etc, etc. These people are my idols, true, I have respect for Shakespeare and Byron, but I prefer to immerse myself in a fantasy world of goblins and ghouls, wizards and warriors, heroes and villains. Where the limit of the world is my own imagination and the words the writer has written.
    Tautology? The (needless) repetition of themes, words, or ideas.
    Age is no excuse.
    Homer is very, very good. Read him.
    Salvatore; I haven't read enough to comment. Tolkein; Meh. Rowling; Why of course. Riordan; Oh, the Greek(y) ones? They're kinda sweet. In a cute way. Horowitz; you should be over him by now. Paolini; meh. Colfer; funny. Pullman; if you didn't like him, I WOULD kill you. Pratchett; same as Pullman. And I grow tired of this game.

Although I suggest you wikipedia Catullus.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Isaac Asimov is a god amongst writers and people alike.

Yes, I did just accidentally imply that writers weren't people.

Yes, I do consider myself a writer.

Yes, I did commit that offense on the night of the--oh ho ho, almost got me there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

@Phoe: you could class that as Arthurian Romance which completely separates it from modern tripe. But I lament those days also.
    Poor Gawain. Poor Launcelot. Poor Arthur. Actually, Poor Arthur in any sense.
    And I'm glad there's someone else who like the ROmantic poets. I was able to quote more than half of Kubla Khan back in December for some unknown reason. Ah laudenum. What haven't you done for English Literature?

Intelligent staying, yes. Annoyed, naturally, It's Koorly here. Annoyed with the weather - more heavy rain.
    So: how about another rant then?
    So, y'all know I'm reading Paradise Lost, then plan to move onto the Bible, then Paradise Regained, then The Divine COmedy which is a completely anachronistic order I know, but when I tell my friends or just even people I know they say the most moronic facile things.
    "Who's Milton?"
    "What're they?" (not referring to the Bible)
    "What's an epic poem?" (a teeny bit more understandable, but can't you guess?)
    "Isn't the Devil the hero?" No. He's the protagonist, as in main character, but even the best or most sympathetic interpretation puts him as the anti - hero. Or to trope it: sympathetic villain protagonist. In parts.
    Then you find out he raped his born - like - Athene daughter (or is directly said to be exactly like him in looks, but female - so twincesty narcissim or ickyness), called Sin. She Fell for no reason and gave birth to Death or promptly stalked, chased and raped his own mother and she gave birth to a pack of hellhounds who live inside her womb and eat her insides every single day for all eternity!
    ALthough Jesus gets his own flaming chariot and spear of awesome!
    Then I'm asked "Aren't they like, one hundred years old or something?" At which point I'm three brain cells from commiting academic murder.
    FInally a sensible person says, "Oh, Paradise Regained. That's the one about the Temptation of Jesus isn't it?" at which point I relax and slowly simmer in repressed something.
    Next load of friends actually, although not having read them, or ever intend to, at least know a fair bit around about the subject. We spent ages discussing the protrayal of Satan, devils and general evil in media.
    I loved telling them all the various names for Satan, their origins and angel names.
    I'm such a geek.
    Oh yah. Worst comment about my future literature: "What an effing Bible bashing freak."
    At which point I promptly erased them from any list which I have compiled aside frm : When I Ascend Upon Whom Shall Doom Be Brought First?
    Stupid idiot.
    Oh! ANother good one: "SO is the COmedy funny then?" This is after I tell them it's about someones journey from Hell to Heaven. Written in the fourteenth century.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Tautology? The (needless) repetition of themes, words, or ideas.
    Age is no excuse.
    Homer is very, very good. Read him.
    Salvatore; I haven't read enough to comment. Tolkein; Meh. Rowling; Why of course. Riordan; Oh, the Greek(y) ones? They're kinda sweet. In a cute way. Horowitz; you should be over him by now. Paolini; meh. Colfer; funny. Pullman; if you didn't like him, I WOULD kill you. Pratchett; same as Pullman. And I grow tired of this game.

Although I suggest you wikipedia Catullus.
    Okay, Tolkein: Sort of agreeing, I don't think I could read them twice, the Hobbit isn't bad though. Rowling: Harry Potter was good but I don't think I could read them all again. Riordan: I quite like the Greek(y) ones, but I wouldn't say they're amazing. Horowitz: I mean his Power of Five series, not Alex Rider. Colfer: Yes, he is funny. Pullman: Are you kidding? Of course I like Phillip Pullman, he's bloody brilliant! Pratchett: Same as Pullman.
    I said age because I meant that I haven't been taught or even heard of most of the terminology used.
    Okay, I'm going to Wikipedia Catullus/Catillus. Also, I'll look Homer up.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

I like the simplistic thread title.

Anyway, as long as we're on authors...anyone read any Murakami? I've heard good things about him and his work seems interesting enough. Specifically interested in Kafka on the Shore and A Wild Sheep Chase, but I'm willing to try anything.
    Last edited by Sneak; 2009-03-09 at 04:52 PM. Reason: For immortal porpoises

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

So, y'all know I'm reading Paradise Lost, then plan to move onto the Bible, then Paradise Regained, then The Divine COmedy which is a completely anachronistic order I know, but when I tell my friends or just even people I know they say the most moronic facile things.
    "Who's Milton?"
    "What're they?" (not referring to the Bible)
    "What's an epic poem?" (a teeny bit more understandable, but can't you guess?)
    "Isn't the Devil the hero?" No. He's the protagonist, as in main character, but even the best or most sympathetic interpretation puts him as the anti - hero. Or to trope it: sympathetic villain protagonist. In parts.
    Then you find out he raped his born - like - Athene daughter (or is directly said to be exactly like him in looks, but female - so twincesty narcissim or ickyness), called Sin. She Fell for no reason and gave birth to Death or promptly stalked, chased and raped his own mother and she gave birth to a pack of hellhounds who live inside her womb and eat her insides every single day for all eternity!
    ALthough Jesus gets his own flaming chariot and spear of awesome!
    Then I'm asked "Aren't they like, one hundred years old or something?" At which point I'm three brain cells from commiting academic murder.
    FInally a sensible person says, "Oh, Paradise Regained. That's the one about the Temptation of Jesus isn't it?" at which point I relax and slowly simmer in repressed something.
    Next load of friends actually, although not having read them, or ever intend to, at least know a fair bit around about the subject. We spent ages discussing the protrayal of Satan, devils and general evil in media.
    This is, of course, why Bridget Jones told us all not to mix species of friends, or to introduce species of friends to foodstuffs or environments that are entirely alien to their own.

*nodnod*
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

That isn't a poem.
    Is it? . . .
    In translation, perhaps.
    Odi et amo? . . .
    Not just this author.
    Heh.
    . . .Men.
    Yes.
    . . .The poem--
    --Proto-poem--
    Tautologies.
    THIS--IS NOT--CATULLUS!

Hmmm. I like this. Reminds me a little of Leonard Cohen's commentaries on his poetry in one of his anthologies. It's a conversation among poets/critics? Without being told that I'd have assumed it was a kind of mental argument on the part of the poet involved, editing their poem, but that assumption probably says more about me than about the work. Without knowing a bit more about the aim of the work though, I'm not sure how well I can criticise, sorry.

@Fred: Catullus was a Roman poet, famed for his poems addressed to the lady "Lesbia". They're very good, you should read them if you get the time.

A tautology is a pair or set or words which say the same thing, making the use of both or all of them redundant: Tautology

Edit: Gah, ninja'd several times over on Catullus and tautologies. That'll teach me to chat and attempt to write a post at the same time.
    Last edited by Phaedra; 2009-03-09 at 05:00 PM.