New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Worst "VS" Arguments You've Heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    Perhaps the best comment I've ever heard about "vs." debates:

"Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted." - Christopher Lee
    Dervag's won the thread. Your reward is one Auto-Win Token, good for any Vs battle and for any side so long as it isn't not Darth Revan.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    can somebody enlighten me? I know this is probably a crime but I've never read a superman comic. batman and hellboy are just so much more interesting
    Silver Age Superman is both a jerk and invincible. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Palantir View Post
    Your reward is one Auto-Win Token, good for any Vs battle and for any side so long as it isn't not Darth Revan.
    I happen to like Darth Revan. They could have done her characterization better, and probably done the sequel better, but she was an overall enjoyable character for everyone who played as her.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2009-08-12 at 06:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    I happen to like Darth Revan. They could have done her characterization better, and probably done the sequel better, but she was an overall enjoyable character for everyone who played as her.
    Him, darth revan was male in every sense of the word. Canon is VERY clear here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

To be fair, "canon" in a work of fiction doesn't exactly hold too much water.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    ...and Revan is one of those instances where a goodly portion of the fanbase pretty much just give canon the finger.

Myself included.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    As opposed to canon nonfiction?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    As opposed to canon nonfiction?
    Yeah, that tends to be fairly solid. Subject to a lot of fanon explanations and alternate character interpretations, but as long as you don't go too far back in the series the events of canon are usually pretty cut-and-dry.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TengYt View Post
    There we have it. Christopher Lee himself decrees VS debates idiotic. And you do NOT mess with Christopher Lee.
    Technically, that's not what he said. He said the question was idiotic - obviously. That guy should have known that Dracula could kick Saruman's butt!

On a more general note, I don't think there's anything wrong with Vs Threads so long as they aren't taken as a consideration of the character's (or works') worth. Just because I think Character A could beat Character B in a fight doesn't mean that Character B or the work he's from is inferior to Character A (or the work he's from). But I think Vs. Threads often come down to that, and people line up behind their favorite character.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

The most idiotic VS thread I ever read was Batman VS Solid Snake. Only the person asking it said there would be no prep time, a gigantic open area, in broad daylight, and Snake wasn't allowed any of his win items, which for some reason, included the FAMAS.
    However, I told the person that under all circumstances, Solid Snake wins, because he IS Batman, only more badass. You see, Snake smokes. And if Batman lit up a Marb Smooth every once in a while, he'd have a badass voice, and would be just like Solid Snake. That's right everyone, Batman wants to be Snake. Even Adam West Batman wants to be Snake!

But on a serious note, putting limitations in VS threads is pretty much what makes them so ridiculous.
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2009-08-12 at 10:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    But on a serious note, putting limitations in VS threads is pretty much what makes them so ridiculous.
    Some limitations are necessary so that there's actually any sort of contest at all, and some are good for getting the people contributing (and I use the term loosely) on the same page so it doesn't devolve into "Batman wins every time with preparation."

Until, y'know, everyone starts ignoring those limitations and it devolves into "Batman wins every time with preparation." But it's a valiant effort, and works of fiction that have in-universe I Win Buttons should have them limited so that the conflict is even feasible.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geesi View Post
    Some limitations are necessary so that there's actually any sort of contest at all, and some are good for getting the people contributing (and I use the term loosely) on the same page so it doesn't devolve into "Batman wins every time with preparation."

Until, y'know, everyone starts ignoring those limitations and it devolves into "Batman wins every time with preparation." But it's a valiant effort, and works of fiction that have in-universe I Win Buttons should have them limited so that the conflict is even feasible.
    The point of a VS thread is non-existent, so throwing limitations only puts on bias on the character you like. For example:

Samus VS Simon Belmont. Only, in the interest of "fairness" Samus gets no suit, and can only use that pistol from SSBB. Who wins? SIMON! Why? because I took away Samus' ability to win.

Let's take a look at the Snake vs Batman.
    No limitations? Snake owns with the rocket launcher.

Take away the Rocket Launcher? Snake owns with a P90.

Take away any weapons Snake might possibly ever get? Batman wins because now HE has weapons.

Make it a fist fight? You'll get better results playing Rock'em Sock'em Robots. No one really knows what the Ultimate Martial Art is. It's a stupid question anyway.

Putting limitations on "VS" questions, only removes the answer of whom would actually win.
    Let's take a look here: Star Wars Universe vs Star Trek Universe: Borgs. What horrors would they wreak upon the world?
    Take away the Borgs. Is it really the Star Trek Universe anymore?
    Limitations don't make them interesting, they take away the question. Samus would pretty much whoop anyone, why? Cause she's got the gear to do so! Take it away, and yes, she's useless.
    Prep time in VS battles is also always a no. A true test of a warrior's mettle is their ability to fly by the seat of their pants.The only way VS questions can be truly unbiased is without limitations, no preparation time, and going strictly by canon.

12. - Top - End - #192

I disagree. Limitations are interesting. Unfortunately, a lot of times the limitations reduce a character from 'broad speculation with some specific references' to 'extremely vague speculation with maybe one specific reference', which makes a difficult subject to discuss, moreso.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    ...and Revan is one of those instances where a goodly portion of the fanbase pretty much just give canon the finger.

Myself included.
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I disagree. Limitations are interesting. Unfortunately, a lot of times the limitations reduce a character from 'broad speculation with some specific references' to 'extremely vague speculation with maybe one specific reference', which makes a difficult subject to discuss, moreso.
    I'll give up that SOME limitations can make it interesting. Like, Who wins in a dog fight: Fox or Luke?
    Obviously Luke since he learned how to force strangle. Let's throw a limitation in there: No Force Powers. How do we determine the winner? EPIC DOG FIGHT!

However I have seen absolutely nobody ask a VS question where the limitation isn't solely to gimp a character in the interrogator's favor.

15. - Top - End - #195

I'll give up that SOME limitations can make it interesting. Like, Who wins in a dog fight: Fox or Luke?
    Obviously Luke since he learned how to force strangle. Let's throw a limitation in there: No Force Powers. How do we determine the winner? EPIC DOG FIGHT!

However I have seen absolutely nobody ask a VS question where the limitation isn't solely to gimp a character in the interrogator's favor.
    I blame that primarily on the fact that most of us who would use limitations in that way are not interested in making VS topics.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

Limitations don't make them interesting, they take away the question. Samus would pretty much whoop anyone, why? Cause she's got the gear to do so! Take it away, and yes, she's useless.
    Prep time in VS battles is also always a no. A true test of a warrior's mettle is their ability to fly by the seat of their pants.The only way VS questions can be truly unbiased is without limitations, no preparation time, and going strictly by canon.
    Except with some things the canon is so broad that you have to put limits in, otherwise, the concept has no meaning. For example, Link vs Batman, who wins? The answer depends on which Link and which Batman we are referring to. Majora's Mask Link will own Batman, every Batman, with an unlimited amount of prep time, because Link's powers can't be researched, codified and negated through careful preparations. Triforce of the Gods (A Link to the Past in America) Link? Not so much. Depending on which Batman we're talking about, his tactics, weapons of choice and gadgets available are very different.

Hell sometimes limitations are placed so as clarify where in the Manga the Author is. I'm currently at chapter 24 of a manga called Kurohime, but am up to date with Mahou Sensei Negima (chapter 260). Who would win: Negi from as far as I've read, or Kurohime from as far as I've read?

Good Limitations limit the character to one canonical moveset or the point at which the author of the thread knows and are necessary. Bad limitations effectively tie one character's hands so they can't win making the argument pointless.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TengYt View Post
    There we have it. Christopher Lee himself decrees VS debates idiotic. And you do NOT mess with Christopher Lee.
    "When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would I was explaining to him what he should do when Wormtongue stabs him in the back—like sort of the air’s escaping out of you. And he says, “Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?” And I said, “Um, no.” And he says “Well, I have, and I know what to do.”"
    -Peter Jackson
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is it? I thought KOTOR 2 made it pretty clear that Revan was a female, given that "her" was how everyone referred to her--not to mention whats-his-face from the first game still being in love with her!

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Is it? I thought KOTOR 2 made it pretty clear that Revan was a female, given that "her" was how everyone referred to her--not to mention whats-his-face from the first game still being in love with her!
    Wiki says male
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    The cast of Seinfeld could take out the cast of Friends.

I am not making this up.
    my money on the cast of Seinfeld.

Worst "Vs" argument I've heard of?

Magic vs the Force
    Imperial Empire vs the Borg
    Sailor Moon vs X anime ( have a weird friend who thinks of nothing but strange anime crossovers at work. Also typical of using "Goku" in anything like it's going out of style. )
    500-20th Fighters vs 1-20th Planar Shepherd

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

You chose Revan's sex in KotOR II. If you said Revan was female, then she was.

The canon is male Revan, female Exile.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

22. - Top - End - #202

That's actually the result of the answer you gave Atton way back on Peragus. The dialogue alters itself to him/her depending on what you tell him when you first meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by mikej
    500-20th Fighters vs 1-20th Planar Shepherd
    Similar vein, I remember seeing something on the GameFAQS RPG board about X class vs 1000 children or somesuch...

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

"When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would I was explaining to him what he should do when Wormtongue stabs him in the back—like sort of the air’s escaping out of you. And he says, “Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?” And I said, “Um, no.” And he says “Well, I have, and I know what to do.”"
    -Peter Jackson

Thats just amazing! I'm nearly at a loss for words. He now own the rule of cool
    Last edited by Robert Blackletter; 2009-08-13 at 07:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post
    Title says it all: what are the worst rationalizations on a VS argument you have heard?
    X beats Y because of plot.

Batman (badass normal) beats incredibly super powered character X.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I recall once seeing an argument that went something like this:
    "Star Trek's writers were notorious for pulling things out of their arses at the last minute to ensure the Enterprise won the day. Therefore, in a situation like this you could expect the same thing to happen so the Enterprise wins."

I don't remeber exactly who the other party (or parties) involved were, but I think the Enterprise was pretty heavily outclassed.
    Other behaviours like this ('X wins due to plot/rule of funny etc.) are also utterly assinine, but this particular one stuck with me.

One of the most stupid versus thread I can recall was Sephiroth versus The Justice League, just because of how quickly it devolved into the original poster throwing in as many modifcations as he possibly could (most of them fairly dubious) to try and get Sephiroth to win.

Just because I think Character A could beat Character B in a fight doesn't mean that Character B or the work he's from is inferior to Character A (or the work he's from). But I think Vs. Threads often come down to that, and people line up behind their favorite character.
    I can't second this enough. I think pretty much all the versus thread 'fads' (vs Sauron, Versus Imperium of Man/40k) stem from this frankly childish 'my favourite can beat up your favourite' attitude. As soon as one character/organisation/culture from a particular setting is established as being particularly strong a huge horde of 'popular' opponents are thrown against it as the fans start feeling 'threatened'. When said popular challengers get their arses handed to them then the obsessive fanish behaviour starts coming out and cries of 'fanboy' abound. You get posts insulting the victorious franchise for being 'ridiculous' due it not being beatable by someone's pet favourites. This is almost inevitably responded to in kind by the other side, especially as fans of one very often challenged setting or character start feeling a bit picked-on and get increasingly dismissive and defensive.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps the best comment I've ever heard about "vs." debates:

"Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted." - Christopher Lee
    -Peter Jackson
    10characters
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2009-08-13 at 10:20 AM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some of the worst ones come from when you use near omnipotent beings.

Galactus, Dr Manhattan, the Phoenix, Cthulhu and other the other Old Ones and Outer Gods, Morgoth at full power, Franklin Richards at full potential, etc. (Sorry to whoever posted the Dr Manhattan VS Phoenix thread.)

I find them really boring when things get this powerful. It takes the fun out of the idea, and most of these beings don't fight things regularly of their power. Instead, they are stopped by the heroes/villians by using a certain device or weakness.
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    One of the most stupid versus thread I can recall was Sephiroth versus The Justice League, just because of how quickly it devolved into the original poster throwing in as many modifcations as he possibly could (most of them fairly dubious) to try and get Sephiroth to win.
    I remember that thread. Just... damn.

As for the rest of your post, which I won't quote because it's too long, I concur. The analysis is pretty spot on. Which is why I tend to ignore most vs threads, unless they're about something else than pure physical might ("Who can out-mastermind Discworld's Patrician?") or are simply hilarious (Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines vs ACROSS from Excel Saga). And pure battle prowess of a character definitely is not any indication of how good their media are. After all, creating an invincible hero that can take on everything and win without effort is mark of BAD, not good writing.

EDIT: Wait a sec, I forgot to answer the original question!

So, what is the worst vs thread argument I can think of?

The answer is: anything, if the grammar is bad enough.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-08-13 at 10:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    And pure battle prowess of a character definitely is not any indication of how good their media are. After all, creating an invincible hero that can take on everything and win without effort is mark of BAD, not good writing.
    I present to you Blandor. A grey robot with no personality or goals, holding a small device with a button marked "I win". Pressing this button results in him winning.

Any challengers?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-08-13 at 11:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I present to you Blandor. A grey robot with no personality or goals, holding a small device with a button marked "I win". Pressing this button results in him winning.

Any challengers?
    Yes, Esteban Del Taco. An overweight balding 45 year old Mexican holding a small device with a button marked, "No, you lose". FIGHT
    Last edited by Fiendish_Dire_Moose; 2009-08-13 at 11:45 AM.