New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Perhaps, in the spirit of these stacking with classes, give the dryad levels of druid casting with charisma replacing wisdom, instead of a few (good) spell-likes at will?
    I was considering doing that, but then you don't have any options for first. Consider Ogre Mage, Succubus and Mind Flayer. The all stack with sorcerer if you take levels in sorcerer. But on their own they got natural attack, and some other goodies at level 1.

Only thing Dryad can do at level 1 is spam Entangle, and at level 2 she gets Deep Slumber. Dryad still stacks with druid, in regards to caster level. So 3 level Dryad/ level 1 Druid has a caster level of 4. Which is strong enough I think .)

But I'm taking your advice and replacing wisdom with charisma, that seems like a good idea
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

2. - Top - End - #242

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Dryad

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d6
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0 |+2 | +2 |Nature Embodied, Tree Dependent, Nature's Attendant, Cha+1
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+3 | +3 |Wild Empathy, Nature's Guardian, Fey body, Cha+1
    3|+ 1|+ 1|+ 3| +3 |Nature's Advocate, Cha +1
    [/table]
    Skills:6+Int modifier per level, Class skills are Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature), Spot, Listen, Survival, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently.

Proficiencies: Dryad are proefecient with club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear

Features:

Nature Embodied: The dryad loses all other racial bonuses and gains fey traits (basically Low-light vision). She's an fey with base speed 30 feet. She also gains a bonus to natural armor equal to her Cha modifier.

If she multiclasses for an arcane/divince class it can count it's dryad levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a dryad 3 who took 1 level of sorceror could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. She wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorceror 3 however. She would get the familiar ability, but dryad levels wouldn't count for it.

If the multiclassed class is druid, or a cleric with the plant domain, the dryad can use Cha instead of Wis for casting.

Tree Dependent: A dryad must stay always within 100 yards per HD of her chosen tree. Any who do become ill and die within 1d6 hours per HD. A dryad’s oak does not radiate magic. Dryad can choose a new tree by doing a 24 hour ritual.

Nature's Attendant: Entangle, Tree Shape, Speak with Plants as SLAs 2/day for each HD it has. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+Cha modifier.

Fey body: DR/cold iron equal to half her HD.

Wild Empathy: At level 2 Dryad gains Wild Empathy as druid, with +6 bonus on check. If you have Wild Empathy from some other source your Dryad levels stack with that class for Wild Empathy (you still get +6 bonus).

Nature's Guardian: Deep Slumber, Tree Stride 1/day for each HD it has. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD +Cha modifier.

Nature's Advocate: Charm Person, Charm animal and Suggestion 1/day for each HD it has.

At 9 HD the dryad can use charm monster as a SLA for each 2HD she has.

At 15HD the dryad can use mass charm monster as a SLA 1/day for each 4 HD she has.

Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+Cha modifier.

Ability increase: Dryad gains Cha + 1 Cha at all levels.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

The dryad is a beatifull servant of nature with a powerfull connection to trees. Tree dependant is a powerfull disadvantage, but in return the dryad gets +3 Cha, several powerfull SLAs and can then multiclass as sorceror, cleric or druid with several goodies. Plus good skills never hurt.

This one was initially done by Bodez, but I felt like it needed some serious tweaking thus made a new post.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-05-30 at 10:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

I wouldn't let it stack with every casting class, to be honest. I can't see a Dryad wizard or dread necromancer.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    So, you like it?
    Nice, but you seem to have missed some things. SLAs aren't suposed to be at will and they're suposed to scale with level. 1/day Sugestion at level 3 is ok, at level 10 it is not. You also didn't state HD or wich stat the SLA DCs are based off. And no proefeciencies? Even the MM dryad runs around with a dagger.

Also I must say you were kinda lazy with the images. A quick google search provided me several results wich could be used on the forums. Used two of them actualy. As long as no "private" parts are showing, it should be ok.

Eldan:
    dryad wizard is suboptimal since she can only change Cha for cleric and druid. Dread dryad, well... It is a dryad adventurer after all. Corrupted? Nature twisted? It's better than multiclassing as druid and picking up that corrupted druid Prc at least.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-22 at 02:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Marilith

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d8
    {TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
    1 | +1 | +2|+0 |+2 |Marilith body, +1 Str
    2| +2| +3|+0 |+3 | Demon, Improved grab, constrict, Con+1
    3| +3| +3|+1| +3| Abyss Skin, Magic weapon, Str+1
    4| +4| +4| +1|+4 | Extra Arms(+2), Con+1
    5| +5| +4| +1| +4| Align Weapon, See invisibility, Str+1
    6| +6| +5|+2 |+5 |Extra Arms(+4), Con +1
    7| +7| +5| +2| +5| Suffocate, Str+1
    8| +8| +6| +2| +5| Growth, Con+1
    9| +9| +6|+3 |+6|Dance of Chaos, Str+1
    10| +10| +7|+3 |+7 |Teleport, Con+1, Cha+1
    11| +11| +7| +3|+7 |True Seeing Str+1
    12| +12| +8| +4|+8 | Telekinesis , Con+1, Cha+1
    13| +13| +8| +4| +8| Unholy aura Str+1, Cha+1
    14| +14| +9| +4| +9| Blade barrier, Con+1, Cha+1
    15| +15| +9| +5| +9| Project Image, Str+1, Cha+1
    16| +16| +10| +5| +10| Mirror Blades, Con+1, Cha+1
    17| +17| +10| +5|+10 | Dance of Death, Str+1, Con+1, Cha+1
    [/TABLE]
    Skills: 6+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level, class skills are Bluff , Concentration . Diplomacy , Disguise , Hide , Intimidate , Knowledge (any) , Listen , Move Silently , Search , Sense Motive , Spellcraft , Spot , Survival , Use Magic Device

Proefeciencies:Simple and martial weapons, her own natural weapons.

Features:

Marilith body:
    The marilith loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base 40 feets and two natural slam attacks dealing 1d6+Str modifier damage each and a tail slap attack dealing 3d6+1/2 str damage.

The Marilith also gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to his Con modifier.

Ability increase:
    The marilith gains
    +1 Str at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17

+1 Con at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17

+1 Cha at levels 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17

Demon: gain resistance to electrecity and a bonus on saves against poison equal to her HD, and resistance to fire, acid and cold equal to half his HD. Plus telepathy 40 feets plus 10 feets for each extra HD from here. Also gains the evil and chaotic subtypes and his weapons/natural attacks count as evil and chaotic for bypassing DR.

Constrict (Ex):
    A marilith deals 3d6+1,5 Str modifier points of damage with a successful grapple check. The damage dies increase apropreatily when the marilith's size changes.

Improved Grab (Ex):
    To use this ability, a marilith must hit with its tail slap attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds on the grapple check, it can constrict.

Abyss Skin:The Marilith gains DR/cold iron and good equal to half it's HD and SR equal to 11+HD.

Marilith SLAs: When a spell apears in the entry, the Marilith can use it as a SLA acertain number of times per day depending on it's HD. Saves are 10+1/2HD+Cha mod.

Magic Weapon:1/day for HD, upgrades to Greater Magic Weapon magic at 9 HD.

Extra arms:
    the marilith grows two extra completely fuctional arms from her torso. They can be used to deliver slam attacks and wield weapons just as her normal arms.

Align Weapon:1/day for HD.

See invisibility:
    1/dah for each HD.

Suffocate:
    Creatures constricted by the marilith must succeed on a DC 10+1/2HD+Str modifier Fortitude save or lose consciousness for as long as they remains in the coils and for 2d4 rounds thereafter.

Growth:
    Increase one size category.

Dance of Chaos:
    At will, the marilith may execute a deadly dance with all her arms, moving up to her base speed while delivering a full attack. The attacks may be executed against any enemies she passes trough.

After performing a dance of death, the Marilith must wait 2d4 rounds before performing a new one.

Teleport: 1/day for 3 HD, upgrades to greater teleport at 13HD.

True Seeing As the spell, permanent effect.

Telekinesis: 1/day for HD.

Unholy Aura:
    1/day for each HD

Blade Barrier:
    1/day for each HD.

Project image: 1/day for each HD

Mirror Blades: Once per day, by performing a one hour ritual, the Marilith may create up to five perfect copies of any nonspecial melee weapons she's wielding. Those copies instantly crumble to worthless dust if they leave the marilith's possession.

Nonspecial weapons are weapons with normal enchantments only. A +5 vorpal sword can be copied. A blade of luck cannot, neither an artifact weapon.

The Marilith can divide copies between diferent weapons. So for example she could create two copies of the fighter's +5 vorpal sword and three copies of the cleric's +3 thundering frosting mace.

Dance of death:
    The Marilith can nove move at twice her base speed while using dance of chaos and doesn't need to wait time before using it again.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

What you can do with 6 arms? Not a lot actualy since you can only use them all if you stand still.

Thus, I added the dance of chaos and death so she can move while fullattacking. Pretty powerfull, but she doesn't have natural flying or much in the field of SLAs, so it should be allright.

Since buying 6 weapons is a pain, the marilith gets GMW to buff mundane weapons at mid-levels and then mirror blades so she can dance around with 6 vorpal scimitars if she wants.

Since her SLAs aren't that hot, she gets a whooping +9 Str, +9 Con and +7 Cha, puting her right behind the Balor in stat bonus.

The marilith does get an impressive 3d6 tail slap attack at first level, but since she's only adding half her str, it isn't worst than that barbarian dude with 22 starting Str.

So, if you want to play something with lots of arms and hard bondage abilities, the Marilith is for you.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-07-17 at 08:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Nice, but you seem to have missed some things. SLAs aren't suposed to be at will and they're suposed to scale with level. 1/day Sugestion at level 3 is ok, at level 10 it is not. You also didn't state HD or wich stat the SLA DCs are based off. And no proefeciencies? Even the MM dryad runs around with a dagger.
    Yeah, about that, I felt it was too good to be able to cast them at will, so I didn't give her any proficiencies to balance it. It was first time, so I felt it was better to err on the side of weak then have you fix it, than to make it too strong

I got my guidelines for next time all right ,)

Also I must say you were kinda lazy with the images.
    You got me there, it was almost 5 am, so I rushed it a bit

Edit: Marilith!
    [nerdgasm]
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    [/nerdgasm]
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2010-03-22 at 04:09 PM.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

7. - Top - End - #247
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm. "Any non-special weapon". How exactly would you define non-special? It could be interpreted as mundane, which is clearly not the intention. Do you mean non-artefact, non-legacy, non-intelligent? (And perhaps a few other nons)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hmm. "Any non-special weapon". How exactly would you define non-special? It could be interpreted as mundane, which is clearly not the intention. Do you mean non-artefact, non-legacy, non-intelligent? (And perhaps a few other nons)
    Read the ability description down further. Basically any weapon that doesn't have a proper name and a wizard/cleric could craft.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to see some more undead like a boneclaw(MM3), deathknight(Dragonlance Campaign Setting), and mabye some sort of wraith

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I haven't asked for a monster class from you, because I didn't want to put undue strain on your talent & time. However, I looked at the completed monsters, as well as the waiting list, & saw a glaring oversight. Absolutely no one has requested the Tarrasque, & if anyone could pull that beast off, it would be you, O. So add the Big T to your to-do list, & I shan't bother you again.

11. - Top - End - #251

Mariliths need a climb and swim speed and a +8 bonus to balance.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Absolutely no one has requested the Tarrasque, & if anyone could pull that beast off, it would be you, O. So add the Big T to your to-do list, & I shan't bother you again.
    Wait, wha-How am I suposed to-It is an unique creature for the love of-brain explodes

Challenge acepted good sir! Altough I'll have to think carefully how to do this one, so don't expect anything soon.

Geiger Counter:Hmm, why do they need that? It isn't in the srd, and not all snake-legged creatures are expert climbers. Plus it isn't definetely good for balance.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Bugbear in the Playground

Requesting ghoul, if it's no trouble. Libris Mortis version is depressingly bad, and Gravetouched Ghoul template is usable but it's a template (sorta bleh).

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Requesting ghoul, if it's no trouble. Libris Mortis version is depressingly bad, and Gravetouched Ghoul template is usable but it's a template (sorta bleh).
    This. And also a wight, for great justice?

15. - Top - End - #255

Would you do this homebrew?

16. - Top - End - #256

Half-Dragon

Spoiler
    Show

HD: d12
    1|+ 1|+2|+0 | + 2|Draconic blood, Draconic body, Breath Weapon
    2|+ 2|+3|+0 | + 3| Draconic Heritage, +1 Str, +1 Cha
    [/table]

Skills: 2 + Intelligence modifier per level, Class skills are Concentration, climb, jump, spot, listen, apraise, intimidate, Knowledge(any), spellcraft.

Proefeciencies: His own natural weapons.

Features:

Draconic blood:
    Unlike other monster classes, the Half Dragon doesn't lose his racial ability modifiers, but he does gain dragon traits. Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision, plus immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and one energy immunity of it's choice.

Draconic body:
    The half-dragon's body presents several dragon features, like powerfull long teeths and claws and tick scales covering it's skin.

The half-dragon gains two claw attacks dealing 1d4+Str damage each and a bite attack dealing 1d6+1/2 Str damage. Those are the values for a medium sized half-dragon, and should be adjusted to half-dragons of other size by the standard die size changes.

In adition, the half-dragon gains a bonus to nat armor equal to it's Con modifier.

Breath Weapon:
    Either a cone of 30 foot or a line of 60 foot dealing 1d6 damage/HD with DC ref of 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier for half every 1d4 turns. The damage type is the same as the player immunity. Cone increases by 5 foot and line by 10 foot with each extra HD the player takes from here.

The energy and shape of the breath must be chosen at 1st level and then cannot be changed.

Draconic heritage:
    The half-dragon keeps revealing draconic traits as it learns and grows.

First, Half dragon levels stack with levels of any caster class the half-dragon takes for purposes of spells per day, caster level and spells known. So for example a half-dragon 2 who takes a level of sorceror would count as having 3 levels of sorceror(2+1) and gain the spell slots and spell knowns that a sorceror gains when leveling from level 2 to 3, but not the spell slots and spell knowns that a sorceror gets from level 1 to 2, He would get the familiar ability, but half-dragon levels wouldn't count for it.

At 4HD the half dragon grows wings wich allow him to fly at double his land speed with average maneuverability

Ability increase:the half dragon gains +1 cha and +1 Str at level 2.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

The half-dragon, being a template, allows you to keep your racial bonus.

Besides that, you get a nice nat armor bonus, full BAB, minor ability bonus, two good saves, claws, bite, breath, it partialy counts for spellcasting and then you get wings at 4th level.

If you want to play a normal character with a draconic "touch" on it, the half-dragon's for you.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-03-26 at 04:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Doppelganger

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d8
    1|+ 0|+ 0|+ 2| +2 |Doppelganger body, Copycat, Adapt +1
    2|+1 |+ 0|+ 3| +3 |Mind read, Adapt +2
    3|+ 2|+ 1|+3 | +3 |Weaver of lies, Adapt +3
    [/table]
    Skills: 8+int modifier, quadruple at 1st level. All skills are class skills for the doppelganger.

Proefeciencies:simple weapons, his own natural weapons.

Features
    Doppelganger body:At 1st level a doppelganger loses all racial bonus it had and gains monstruous humanoid traits (basically dark vision 60 feets). He's a medium monstruous humanoid with base speed 30 and a natural slam attack dealing 1d6+1.5 Str damage.

In adition, it gains a bonus to nat armor equal to his Int modifier.

Copycat:
    2/day for each HD it has, a doppelganger can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid as per the change shape ability. In humanoid form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks. A doppelganger can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

Adapt:
    The doppelganger gains a total bonus to one of his ability scores as shown on the table. He can choose to divide this bonus across several of his ability scores. He can change to where this bonus is applied as a swift action. So at 3rd level, the doppelganger could get +3 to str, or +2 to Str and +1 to Con, or +1 to Str, +1 to Con and +1 to Dex for example.

Mind read:
    A doppelganger can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level equal to HD; Will DC 10+1/2HD+Int modifier negates). It can suppress or resume this ability as a free action, but can only use it a total number of rounds per day equal to his HDxInt modifier.

In addition, the doppelganger is now immune to sleep and charm effects.

Weaver of lies: the doppelganger gets a bonus on bluff and diguise checks equal to his HD. If he's sucessfully reading the mind of the person he's trying to fool, this bonus doubles.

In adition, if using the change shape ability, he gets an extra +10 on disguise checks(wich is not double if sucessfully reading minds).

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

The doppelganger is an cunningg monster with little combat ability but powerfull trickery skills to infiltrate humanoid societies. He also gets two good saves and powerfull skills.

It is definetely better suited for urban and/or political heavy campaigns where his sick disguise and bluff bonus not to mention his mind read ability can be well applied. Rogue/factotum multiclassing is advised once all the class levels are taken.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-09-25 at 06:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Yay! Doppelganger! And half-dragon too!

The only problem I see with Doppelganger is that the Copycat ability doesn't list a duration for the change shape effect.

Just a slight worry for the half dragon: I personally think he shouldn't really be able to get flying until at least 5 HD, when a wizard can cast it. Also, the damage for the breath weapon scales extremely fast at 1/HD, it will very quickly make Dragon Shamans feel very useless and possibly even the Dragonfire Adept at higher levels.

The Doppelganger is brilliant, exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully, it isn't too powerful, I can't see any problems (other than the above with it) with it. I just wanted to say that I am also a huge fan of half-dragons and was amazed and overjoyed when I saw it. Keep up the good work!

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Apropos View Post
    The only problem I see with Doppelganger is that the Copycat ability doesn't list a duration for the change shape effect.
    Like all other monsters with change shape I've done so far, it doesn't have a duration limit. You keep that form untill you transform again.

Just a slight worry for the half dragon: I personally think he shouldn't really be able to get flying until at least 5 HD, when a wizard can cast it.
    And the wizard will have have good maneuverability flight, wich is an huge improvement in average maneuverability flight. Also, alter shape can grant flight at 3rd level for the wizard.

Also, the damage for the breath weapon scales extremely fast at 1/HD, it will very quickly make Dragon Shamans feel very useless and possibly even the Dragonfire Adept at higher levels.
    Well, if you'll look at the dragons I've done, you'll see the half-dragon damage is the same. It also isn't really scaling fast. Pretty much every monster out there will scale their HP faster than 1d6 per level. An elder air elemental, for example, as 204 HP at CR 11. The half-dragon breath deals 11d6, wich averages at roughly 38,5 damage.

The Dragonfire adept can add special powerfull effects to his breath wich really help keep up at higher levels. The dragon shaman...Well, let's just say that it is really on the bottom in terms of power level. It's hard not to outshine him.

The Doppelganger is brilliant, exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully, it isn't too powerful, I can't see any problems (other than the above with it) with it. I just wanted to say that I am also a huge fan of half-dragons and was amazed and overjoyed when I saw it. Keep up the good work!
    Well, thanks, praise is always welcome

20. - Top - End - #260

I think a changeling cabinet trickster (races of eberron) is a better choice than your doppleganger.

Also I think your marilith is way too powerful, I think I did a good job making extra arms balanced in the Hydra Blade PrC in my signature. 6 arms on a large creature can easily make for a thirty level class.
    Last edited by Geiger Counter; 2010-03-26 at 09:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Geiger Counter View Post
    I think a changeling cabinet trickster (races of eberron) is a better choice than your doppleganger.
    Considering you can take that prc at 6th level at best and it costs you a feat and a campaign-dependant mini quest, yes, I don't mind it being stronger than my class wich you can take from the first level whitout being tied to specific conditions.

Also I think your marilith is way too powerful, I think I did a good job making extra arms balanced in the Hydra Blade PrC in my signature. 6 arms on a large creature can easily make for a thirty level class.
    The official Fang of Lolth Prc disagrees with you. It gives you 4 fully fuctional extra arms and other goodies in just 10 levels.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Considering you can take that prc at 6th level at best and it costs you a feat and a campaign-dependant mini quest, yes, I don't mind it being stronger than my class wich you can take from the first level whitout being tied to specific conditions.

The official Fang of Lolth Prc disagrees with you. It gives you 4 fully fuctional extra arms and other goodies in just 10 levels.
    A 200% increase in damage out put in 10 levels sounds broken IMO.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Firbolg in the Playground

A 200% increase in damage out put in 10 levels sounds broken IMO.
    You haven't seen many discussions on Power Attack, have you?

How about incantatrixes? Ur-priests?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

24. - Top - End - #264

Hi all. I thought I'd try my hand at this and see if I can ease the workload of our resident visionary. I'm still a rookie when it comes to homebrew, so I'm pretty much just following Oslecamo's lead. I hope this is up to snuff

The Ghoul
    (I'm having trouble with my photobucket acount, so I can't add a picture at the moment)

Spoiler
    Show

The Ghoul
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +0 +0 +0 Ghoul body, +2 turn resistance, Ghoul strike
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +0 Improved ghoul strike, +1 dex
    3rd +2 +1 +1 +1 Stench, Predator's Edge

Skills: 4+int modifier. Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently and Spot.

Proficiencies: A ghoul is proficient its own natural wepons.

Features:

Ghoul body: a ghoul loses all other racial modifiers and gains the following undead traits

Spoiler
    Show

* No Constitution score.
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Heals naturaly.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    * Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

The ghoul is a medium sized undead with two natural claw attacks dealing 1d3 damage each, a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage and base speed 30. The ghoul can attack with all three attacks at once, but takes a -5 penalty to attacks with its claws. Any class levels the ghoul takes have their HD increased to d12

In addition, the ghoul gains natural armour equal to its strength modifier

Ghoul claw: For a number of rounds per day equal to 2xHDx wisdom bonus(minimum 1), a ghoul can enhance its natural attacks to cause disease and paralysis. Any creature hit by the ghouls claw or bite attack must make a fortitude save(DC10+1/2 HD+wis bonus) or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. a creature hit by the ghoul's bite attack must make a second fortitude saving throw(same DC) or catch Ghoul fever. Elves are immune to the paralysis effect. Activating this ability is a free action.

Improved ghoul claw: At 2nd level, the duration of the ghoul's paralysis can affect elves, and any round the ability is used without an enemy failing their saving throw does not count against the daily limit.

Stench: At third level, on any round a ghoul uses their ghoul strike they may choose to generate a nauseating stench. any living creature within 10ft must make a fortitude save(same DC as their ghoul strike) or be sickened for 1d6+4 minutes. any creature that makes its saving throw cannot be affected by the same ghoul's stench for 24 hours. This ability counts as poison for the purposes of resistance/immunity, and a Delay poison or Neutralize poison spell end the effect.

Predator's edge: at third level, a ghoul's natural attacks improve. their bite now deals 1d8 points of damage and their claws each deal 1d4 points of damage

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

This is my first attempt at one of these homebrew monster classes, so I hope I did okay. I think the first level is roughly on par with the skeleton class. they have better skills and a paralysis attack, but no damage reduction cold resistance, or wepon proficeincies

I based the special abilities on wisdom rather than charisma because I felt their predator tendencies are better based on perception than personality
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-03-27 at 05:04 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    Hi all. I thought I'd try my hand at this and see if I can ease the workload of our resident visionary. I'm still a rookie when it comes to homebrew, so I'm pretty much just following Oslecamo's lead. I hope this is up to snuff

The Ghoul
    (I'm having trouble with my photobucket acount, so I can't add a picture at the moment)

Spoiler
    Show

The Ghoul
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +0 +0 +0 Ghoul body, +2 turn resistance, Ghoul strike
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +0 Improved ghoul strike, +1 dex
    3rd +2 +1 +1 +1 Stench, Predator's Edge

Skills: 4+int modifier. Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently and Spot.

Proficiencies: A ghoul is proficient its own natural wepons.

Features:

Ghoul body: a ghoul loses all other racial modifiers and gains the following undead traits

Spoiler
    Show

* No Constitution score.
    * Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    * Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    * Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    * Heals naturaly.
    * Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    * Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    * Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

The ghoul is a medium sized undead with two natural claw attacks dealing 1d3 damage each, a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage and base speed 30. The ghoul can attack with all three attacks at once, but takes a -5 penalty to attacks with its claws. Any class levels the ghoul takes have their HD increased to d12

Ghoul claw: For a number of rounds per day equal to 2xHDx wisdom bonus(minimum 1), a ghoul can enhance its natural attacks to cause disease and paralysis. Any creature hit by the ghouls claw or bite attack must make a fortitude save(DC10+1/2 HD+wis bonus) or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. a creature hit by the ghoul's bite attack must make a second fortitude saving throw(same DC) or catch Ghoul fever. Elves are immune to the paralysis effect. Activating this ability is a free action.

Improved ghoul claw: At 2nd level, the duration of the ghoul's paralysis can affect elves, and any round the ability is used without an enemy failing their saving throw does not count against the daily limit.

Stench: At third level, on any round a ghoul uses their ghoul strike they may choose to generate a nauseating stench. any living creature within 10ft must make a fortitude save(same DC as their ghoul strike) or be sickened for 1d6+4 minutes. any creature that makes its saving throw cannot be affected by the same ghoul's stench for 24 hours. This ability counts as poison for the purposes of resistance/immunity, and a Delay poison or Neutralize poison spell end the effect.

Predator's edge: at third level, a ghoul's natural attacks improve. their bite now deals 1d8 points of damage and their claws each deal 1d4 points of damage

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

This is my first attempt at one of these homebrew monster classes, so I hope I did okay. I think the first level is roughly on par with the skeleton class. they have better skills and a paralysis attack, but no damage reduction cold resistance, or wepon proficeincies

I based the special abilities on wisdom rather than charisma because I felt their predator tendencies are better based on perception than personality
    OK. I just copied Oslecamo too, so don't worry about it. If you go in the stickied thread in Homebrew it has a Guide to Homebrewing link with class formatting, which you may wish to take. Paralysis and Sickened (IIRC) are poweful status ailments. The Ghoul was only going to be around for a few rounds so it wasn't very powerful as an enemy but they are very good in players' hands. Maybe lower the uses/day slightly to reflect this. Extending up to Ghast wouldn't be a bad idea. I've not looked over this thouroughly but with all the goodies Undead enjoy I doubt my comments are too far off, even so.

You missed an "f" in "off" near the beginning of your post by the way.[/useless and unjustified nitpick]

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is there any way in this world or the next that one could adapt the ELH's leShay race into something remotely playable?
    Epic levels: Where things finally start to get interesting.
    I have been accused of being a walking, talking Spell Compendium.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Yes, but in D&D, no matter how effective your shield might be, you're still better off charging into combat with a two-handed, pouncing, leaping, power attack from horseback using shock trooper to drop your AC into the basement while retaining your full chance to hit.

Or you know, just asking the wizard to deal with it.

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post
    Is there any way in this world or the next that one could adapt the ELH's leShay race into something remotely playable?
    I've already done the phoenix, solar, and gloom as epic monster classes, the last one being from the ELH as well. leShay looks perfectly doable, but I have several monsters in the wait list to take care off before that.

Now, since Crafty Culstist provided me with a base template to work with, I can finish the ghoul in the next post.

28. - Top - End - #268

The Ghoul

Spoiler
    Show
    The Ghoul
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Ghoul body, Ghoul strike, Feed

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Improved ghoul strike, Devour, +1 dex

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Stench, Predator's Edge[/table]

Skills: 2+int modifier. No class skills.

Proficiencies: A ghoul is proficient with its own natural wepons.

Features:

Spoiler
    Show

* No Constitution score.
    * Heals naturaly.

Ghoul strike: A number of times per day equal to 2xHDx wisdom bonus(minimum 1), for 1 round, a ghoul who hits an oponent with one of his natural attacks can cause disease and paralysis. Any creature hit by the enanched attack must make a fortitude save(DC10+1/2 HD+wis bonus) or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. A creature hit by the ghoul's bite attack must make a second fortitude saving throw(same DC) or catch Ghoul fever (check the srd entry for details). Elves are immune to the paralysis effect. Activating this ability is a free action.

Feed:
    The ghoul is able to assimilate fresh flesh it eats on his own body. If it fully consumes a corpse that has been dead for no more than 1 minute per ghoul HD, the ghoul gains 5 temporary hit points for each HD of the eaten corpse. The ghoul cannot have more temporary HP than 5 times it's own HD. Small corpses count as half HD, large creatures count as twice HD, huge corpses as quadruple HD, Gargantuan as 8xHD and Colossal as 16xHD. Tiny or smaller corpses provide no bonus, neither do undead corpses of any kind.

But the ghoul grows hungry again quickly. It loses 1 temporary HP per his own HD every 8 hours.

If a ghoul has no temporary hit points, it must make a will save 10+HD+number of days whitout eating corpses every nightfall or go into a frenzy, attacking the first living creature it finds and attacking it untill it dies and then eat it. A frenzied ghoul may be calmed by presenting a freshly killed corpse of at least medium size.

Ability increase:
    the ghoul gains +1 dex at level 2.

Improved ghoul claw: At 2nd level, the duration of the ghoul's paralysis can affect elves.

Devour:
    The ghoul takes a sick satisfaction for feasting on the living. For every 10 temporary HP it has from his feed ability, it gains a +1 bonus on attacks, skills and saves.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

The ghoul gains a melee save or die from 1st level useable several times per day plus 3 natural weapons, so it gets no proefeciencies. As it levels up his disabling abilities improve untill it becomes a ghast.

Like all other undeads, it has bad skills, saves and Bab to make up for the undead immunities and the fact you can dump Con.

The ghoul is suited for those players who want the stereotopycal "BRAINS!" zombie filled with diseases and adept at stoping enemies at close range. I also added an ability to reward you for feasting on mortal flesh.

The wisdom instead of Charisma was sugested by Crafty Cultist wich pointed correctly the ghoul being more of a hunter than some kind of manipulator/leader like the vampire or a highly spiritual monster like the mummy. Reduced the number of uses per day for ghoul strike however, as now each use only boost your next attack, not all your three natural weapons for the round.

Compared with the skeleton, the ghoul trades the DR and cold resistance for an extra natural attack, feed and save or die, altough he risks going into frenzy if he doesn't feed regularly enough.

Contributed by Crafty Cultist
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-05-31 at 06:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd like to request the Sons/Daughters of Silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Maybe lower the uses/day slightly to reflect this. Extending up to Ghast wouldn't be a bad idea.
    The ghouls paralysis is their main ability, so too few uses would be troublesome. As for extending the class to ghast, thats what the 2nd and 3rd levels are for

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.