New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Uncroak/Decrypt Transylvitos?

So yeah, my question is whether you lot think that Transylvitos can be decrypted/uncroaked. Since they're based of vampires, they're technically already undead/uncroaked. In fact, maybe croakamancy is involved in creating them. What do you all think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Uncroak/Decrypt Transylvitos?

I'm reasonably certain they're relatively normal people that happen to look and act a lot like vampires. We've had no indication that the rules treat them any differently than anything else except that their side has better access to certain useful natural magic, like flight and scouting. So.. yeah, if Wanda came up against a Transylvitan patrol, I would expect to see some bats and a 'vampire' join her crusade.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I'm reasonably certain they're relatively normal people..." who suck blood out of animals for food. At least somewhat fit vampire genre.

http://www.erfworld.com/summer-updat..._Sheep_600.jpg
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-01-30 at 04:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    "I'm reasonably certain they're relatively normal people..." who suck blood out of animals for food. At least somewhat fit vampire genre.

http://www.erfworld.com/summer-updat..._Sheep_600.jpg
    Well, there are a bunch of pop-culture images -- vampires, the Mob, 50s "Grease" -- mashed together.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

It's possible that they can't be uncroaked – Wanda says that there are units who can't, but she also says that there appears to be no limit to whom she can decrypt.

By the way, it doesn't seem likely that Transylvitos are created using Croakamancy – Don King says he was popped, not Uncroaked.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nerd-7i+e View Post
    It's possible that they can't be uncroaked – Wanda says that there are units who can't, but she also says that there appears to be no limit to whom she can decrypt.

By the way, it doesn't seem likely that Transylvitos are created using Croakamancy – Don King says he was popped, not Uncroaked.
    "there appears to be no limit to whom she can decrypt" technically she says appears no limit to *how many* she can decrypt, and *many* new unit types (she may have run into ones she couldn't decrypt).

*If* some of TVs are undead, they may have popped that way, or been *enhanced* after popping (to give them access to skills like flying). They would be a different form than uncroaked zombies, not deteriorating and needing upkeep (blood). Some games actually have vampires capable of being turned into zombies after they are "killed", others don't.
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-01-31 at 08:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    "there appears to be no limit to whom she can decrypt" technically she says appears no limit to *how many* she can decrypt, and *many* new unit types (she may have run into ones she couldn't decrypt).

*If* some of TVs are undead, they may have popped that way, or been *enhanced* after popping (to give them access to skills like flying). They would be a different form than uncroaked zombies, not deteriorating and needing upkeep (blood). Some games actually have vampires capable of being turned into zombies after they are "killed", others don't.
    1: All right, technically true. But which do you think Erfworld's creators meant?

2a: I'm not sure how someone could be popped Uncroaked. That's like saying that someone was born as a zombie – or a vampire (theoretically this is possible if the fetus died in utero and then became a zombie, but Erfworld doesn't deal with fetuses).

2b: If Transylvitos could be enhanced as you described, then why wouldn't powerful Transylvitans like Don King and Big Al become enhanced? Even if they wouldn't need it, many would still do so as a gesture of power. You could argue that some people don't like to spend money extravagantly, but Don King implies that he does: "I do not like to spend money when I am confused."

Lastly, do you really think Transylvitans would be immune to something of such Titanic power as an Arkentool?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

So far there hasn't been any indication that despite their numerous vampiric themes they are actually uncroaked units. So they probably could be decrypted. But we can't know for sure until she tries.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

They're probably similar to Archons - they can acquire natural magic as they level up. They probably aren't "Men", but they're still alive.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    So yeah, my question is whether you lot think that Transylvitos can be decrypted/uncroaked. Since they're based of vampires, they're technically already undead/uncroaked. In fact, maybe croakamancy is involved in creating them. What do you all think?
    Nah. They're more like brookyln dudes with vampire as a theme. This isn't D&D.

Vampires in erfworld are probably more like monstrous humanoids - they're immortal, have quirks like the desire to suck blood, behave oddly compared to humans, etc. But that's it.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-02-07 at 05:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Nah. They're more like brookyln dudes with vampire as a theme. This isn't D&D.

Vampires in erfworld are probably more like monstrous humanoids - they're immortal, have quirks like the desire to suck blood, behave oddly compared to humans, etc. But that's it.
    What makes you think they live forever?

For that matter, what makes you think every other unit doesn't?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's a good question. They can look older but that's more of an image kinda thing. Given erfs similarity to game mechanics I say there is to turn based lifespan.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2010-02-07 at 08:02 PM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    That's a good question. They can look older but that's more of an image kinda thing. Given erfs similarity to game mechanics I say there is to turn based lifespan.
    Considering Parson is by far the oldest person on Erfworld that we've come across, and yet many look older than him, I doubt physical age has anything to do with... anything.