New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Child of the Abyss (aka Making Hideous Blow useful!) [3.5 PrC]

Child of the Abyss

Pharvol, a drow Child of the Abyss, preparing to attack with a Hideous Blow.

Children of the Abyss are a dangerous, and deadly, lot to deal with. These individuals were born with unearthly powers, a dark gift from a demon hiding somewhere among their family tree. But not just creatures of arcane might, Children of the Abyss relish the excitement and thrill of combat, and thus throw themselves into the study of martial prowess. They use their in-born talents to give them the edge, dealing out horrible wounds with their blows. As they progress the become more in-touch with their inner demon, becoming more depraved and dangerous, as well as taking one demonic qualities. Eventually they have been exposed to such horrific destruction and vileness that even corruption barely touches them.

Even the best of them, initially upstanding and righteous members of society become shadier and more amoral as they embrace their inner darkness. The power offered by the Abyss overflowing and infinite, is simply too much for any creature, mortal or no, to use and not be corrupted by it's influence.

Requirements
    Maneuvers: At least 1 Strike and 1 Stance from the Desert Wind, Dread Crown, Iron Heart, or Shadow Hand disciplines
    Invocations: Hideous Blow, any Eldritch Essence
    Skills: 8 ranks in Intimidate, 5 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes), 5 ranks in Martial Lore
    Special: Must have inherited Warlock powers because of demonic blood in your ancestry.

Hit Die: d8
    Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier
    Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentrate (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Weapon and armor proficiencies
    A Child of the Abyss gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers
    At 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th level a Child of the Abyss gains new maneuvers known from the Desert Wind, Dread Crown, Iron Heart, or Shadow Hand disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Child of the Abyss levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At 2nd, 5th, and 8th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known
    At 4th and 10th levels, a Child of the Abyss learns a new martial stance from the Desert Wind, Dread Crown, Iron Heart, or Shadow Hand disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Invocations
    Add your full Child of the Abyss level your Warlock level to determine the caster level of your invocations and eldritch blast, as well as the grades of invocations you can learn.

Improved Hideous Blow
    When you recognize your birthright and become a Child of the Abyss you discover how to channel your dark energies into every attack you launch. Hideous blow becomes a swift action which allows you to apply your eldritch blast to a single melee attack you make on your turn, including martial strikes. You no longer suffer attacks of opportunity for invoking this power.
    At 6th level, your mastery over combat allows you to blend your gift into a devastating advantage. Your eldritch blast may now be applied to each melee attack you make on your turn, instead of only a single attack. This includes martial strikes that make more than one attack.

Demonic Heritage (Ex)
    At 2nd level the Child of the Abyss' ancestry is beginning to show true. You gain damage reduction 5/Cold Iron, a +1 profane bonus to AC, a +2 bonus on saving throws vs. poison, and resistance to electricity equal to half your Child of the Abyss level. Your alignment shifts one step closer to Chaotic.
    At 8th level a Child of the Abyss has fully embraced his dark heritage. Your damage reduction increases to 10/Cold Iron, the profane bonus to AC increases to +2, and you become immune to poison. Furthermore, your soul has become so used to depravity that any vile damage dealt to you is treated as regular damage instead. Finally, your alignment shifts one step closer to Evil.

Eldritch Blast
    At 3rd level, and again at 6th and 9th level, your eldritch blast damage improves by 1d6.

Scars of the Soul (Su)
    At 3rd level a Child of the Abyss' strikes hit more than just flesh, tearing at a creature's very soul. Whenever you hit with a martial strike, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + level of the strike used + your Cha modifier) or take 1 point of Wisdom damage in addition to the strike. This Wisdom damage can only be healed under the same conditions as vile damage.
    At 9th level Scars of the Soul deals 2 Wisdom damage instead of 1.

Demonic Flight
    At 4th level you gain the demonic flight invocation (lesser; 3rd). You grow great demonic wings and are wreathed in flame, reminicent of a terrible Balor. You can fly at a speed equal to your land speed with good maneuverability for 24 hours. You give off light equal to a torch, but the flames aren't enough to cause any damage.

Demonic Presence (Ex)
    At 5th level a Child of the Abyss' force of personality is overpowering. You draw strength from within yourself, overwhelming all else with your commanding presnce. All extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities you have that are based off of Intelligence or Wisdom are now based off of Charisma if your Charisma modifier is higher.

Essence Invocation
    At 7th level you learn on least, lesser, or greater Eldritch Essence invocation.

Unending Depths of the Abyss
    At 9th level a Child of the Abyss learns a special strike that draws power from the maddening infinite expanses of the Abyss. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 7th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. You initiate this strike as a standard action. When you initiate this maneuver you make a single melee attack. If the attack hits, it deals an additional 5d4 vile damage and the target must make a will save (DC 17 + Cha modifier) or be affected as if by the Insanity spell. This condition has the same requirements as vile damage to be healed.

Vile Blast
    At 10th level a Child of the Abyss learns a truly horrific way to modify their eldritch blast, scaring even the most depraved of souls. All damage dealt from Vile blast is vile damage. When a creature is hit with a vile blast it must make a fortitude save or be permanently rendered deaf and blind. If it fails the fortitude save it must make a will save or be permanently sickended, and dazed for 1 round due to the unimaginable horror it was subjected to. All these conditions have the same requirements as vile damage to be healed.

EDITS
    Spoiler
    Show

1/20/2009
    • Added UMD back as a class skill.
    • Removed the extra damage give from Vile Blast.
    • Changed Improved Hideous Blow so you get some of it at 1st level, and the rest at 6th level.
    • Scars of the Soul no longer becomes Wisdom drain at 6th level.

1/18/2009
    • Changed Demonic Presence so it would still use Wis or Int if that stat was higher than Cha.
    • Reduced the damage Unending Depths of the Abyss added from 10d4 to 5d4. Gotta make sure it's balance for a 7th level maneuver!
    • Removed Use Magic Device from the skill list, since it seemed extraneous.
    • Merged the Demonic Heritage ability gained at 8th level into the ability of the same name gained at second level.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2010-10-15 at 04:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Child of the Abyss [3.5 PrC]

Very nice, but it seems a bit more like a warlock variation/expansion than a whole new prestige class.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

What is that discipline with the alignment based attacks that baseline Crusaders get? These guys should be allowed to take their martial ability pre-requisites from that, and take their manuvers and stances learned from that discipline as well as the others.

Edits:
    Demonic Presence should be optional on a case by case basis, just in case INT or WIS is, or becomes higher than CHR.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    Very nice, but it seems a bit more like a warlock variation/expansion than a whole new prestige class.
    Variations are what some PrCs are all about... in this case however it also progresses and gives bonuses to the martial initiator half of the equation...
    In short: Read it more carefully.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-01-17 at 12:39 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love the class. For an instance, I was worried you might end up as an outsider (which is a crappy capstone). It has flavor, as well. Well, moreso flavor than most PrCs, anyhow. Were it a hamburger, it would be a Hardie's hamburger, whereas the majority of most PrCs would be a McDonalds single patty 89 cent burger (though, I'll grant you, there are some McRibs out there, and some good ones from Burger King here and there).

I'll give it my general treatment, though I am not intimately familiar with ToB PrCs work.

• Requirements seem good, and not over the top. Not sure what the minimum level entry would be yet, but it seems well thought out. I'm glad that it takes fluff into account with accepting a demonic heritage. After all, where the powers come from is only fluff, right? (Or am I wrong here?)
    • The HD is level with both classes, and seeing as it's a blend of both, I have no complaints.
    • Skills and skill points per level are nothing to ignore, nor take away. The spread is good.
    • The base attack bonus is a bit distinct, something I wasn't expecting from such a class that gives hideous blow as a swift action + no AoO with that ability. I think it balances itself quite nicely, however.
    • The saving throws are good will and fortitude, and poor reflex. Nothing here is out of place. Moving on then.
    • Maneuvers known are spread out with three class intervals in such a way you get four of them. You have a set class list. I can't see why this would be a problem. Maneuvers readied is also spread about the magic three levels. This ensures not a dull level, and you seem to gain one the level after you learn one. Okay, that seems fair and makes sure there's never a dull level. I can't say how progression works for ToB classes off the top of my head for base classes (can't be arsed to open the book), but I don't see anything wrong with this. Stances as well! Well separated, no worries.
    • The discussion of invocation is where things fall slightly apart. Can you clarify something for me? You don't gain invocations known with this class except at 7th level, and it has to be an Essence Invocation. If that's so, then I'm on the right track. This also means that when the Child of Abyss revisits his Warlock class, he can get access to higher level stuff. I can dig it. Is this the modus operandi of Warlock derived PrCs?
    • Improved Hideous Blow takes this to a whole new level. It's an amazing, but nerfed Invocation that I'm glad to have seen someone fix it. Letting it stack with martial strikes is crazy, but in a good way.
    • Demonic Heritage gives a good boost to AC and DR and saves versus poison. I take it, and I hope, it doesn't stack with the DR already given? The other benefits are nice, but I feel it's too much too soon--especially with resistance to electricity. At worst, it's like being a Tiefling with the energy resistance (which, doesn't stack, right?). I like the shifting effect that's going on.
    • [b]Good to see that on the threes, your eldritch blast gets a little better.
    • Scars of the Soul causes 1 point vile Wisdom damage on a failed save, healable as typical with vile damage. On martial strikes. I'm not sure if I like this or not. It progresses in threes as well, which isn't a bad number to use for increments, apparently.
    • Demonic flight is not presented silly. You can't fly faster than you normally would be able to, and maneuverability isn't silly crazy. The light it sheds doesn't seem overpowered. I just have an experience that flying warlocks == bad news for the baddies, and definitely shifts the power in a direction. Is the flight time of 24 hours the same as the invocation itself? Or is it an extension?
    • Demonic Presence is nothing to sneer at, either. Not sure what ramifications that would have.
    • If I've been reading right, Essence Invocation is really the only invocation you learn (besides Demonic Flight). I don't see this a problem, and you wait a helluvalong time to get it.
    • At eighth level, we get Demonic Heritage, which increases the boosts that were previously given. Personally, I'd just lump the description of this in with the previous ability and note that they increase at eighth level. It might give the illusion of a dead level, but it wouldn't hurt it any either to keep it separate. Converting vile damage to regular damage is a nice touch, especially with regards to the fluff of this class.
    • Unending Depths of the Abyss gives you a special strike that at first seems crazy. The fact that it's a melee attack, instead of a melee touch attack is a good offset. You're plagued with the lump of two 1/2 BABs, and one 3/4 BABs, so it's not as though you're going to hit with each strike, but at 10d6, it seems worth the effort. The fact that it's a martial strike means you can add your eldritch blast to it. Adding insanity to it... well... I'm just not sure!
    • Vile blast is a good capstone. However, you state that you add 2d6 damage, and all damage is vile damage. So the whole blast is increased by 2d6, and all of it is vile damage. It also causes conditions, which is nice, but something tells me it's slightly too powerful. I would give each eldritch blast an additional +2d6 vile damage, with x/day converting it all to vile damage plus status effects. The fact that there is no limiting factor on invocations to begin with makes me wary of any an ability this strong (unless you can present a dark invocation that is as powerful. I don't have the book at hand right now, so I can't say out of certainty.

Overall, though, I'm impressed with the class. My main issue is adding such large effects on abilities that have no limiting factors. The same goes with the Wisdom damage from Scars of the Soul, not that isn't bad, I'm just not sure how it balances with invocations or the maneuvers of an equal level swordsage or warlock (retro-respectively? re-respectively? spectively? Oh hell, I don't know why I don't hit the backspace sometimes).

I'm not sure on a couple of things, which might be explained in RAW: stacking of elemental resistance, mainly.

Other than those slight complaints, this class embraces its flavor quite well, and doesn't seem like a bunch of abilities tacked onto a half-arsed concept.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Llama -- In a way it is, taking the demonic heritage of the Warlock and really embracing it. I can't recall any PrC that does that, especially in a very melee focused way. As the Warlock stands now, it just uses that power for it's own goals, it doesn't really embrace it and become more demonic. And there aren't any official PrCs that mix Invoking with Maneuvers.

DracoDei -- The discipline you're thinking of is Devoted Spirit. The reason I didn't give them that is while, yes, it has some alignment-based maneuvers, most of the maneuvers are not very demonic in flavor. Plus, I wanted the Crusader to have the hardest time getting into this PrC. Demons worship no god but themselves, and that is where their power comes from.

The comment on Demonic presence is good, it wouldn't make any sense to level up, and then have an ability get worse. I just don't want it to be too powerful.

Neek -- Wow, great response! Thanks! I'm glad you like it. And yeah, I wound up using three a lot in this PrC.

• The minimum entry level is lv 5, thanks to the 8 ranks needed. You could just through hoops with feats to enter into it with no martial classes, but you'll need 2 levels of Warlock.
    • I was debating between a d8 and d10 and since this class won't want to wear anything more than light armor, I decided to go with the lower to really make this an offensive class.
    • Skills I like, though I'm thinking about taking out UMD since it doesn't really fit well, it's just vestigial left over from Warlock.
    • It's a very offensive class, and while I was thinking about a 3/4 progression, but it's supposed to be highly offensive, and Hideous Blow isn't a touch attack.
    • I thought about having the Fort save be poor, but then I figured "What the hell?"
    • I kept the maneuvers a little low, since you're spending a lot of your time embracing your inner power, not learning fancy new techniques, but I've always liked getting something every level.
    • You are correct in how Invoking works. However, this is not how any warlock PrCs work. PrCs that give a caster or invoking level increase the warlock's caster level, and gives him bonus EB damage and new invocations known, but doesn't increase the type of invocation he can choose from, which I always thought was weird. So it's something I put into my warlock PrCs, so they aren't boned it they want to switch back to Warlock levels later.
    • I'm glad you like the upgrade. I feel it's still competitive with Eldritch Glaive, since it's not a touch attack, and as a swift action that makes it compete with many martial boosts. It's like a magical Sneak Attack.
    • I don't think DR stacks unless it's specifically stated, so no, I don't believe it stacks. As for the Resistance...I thought at lv 7, Resistance 1 to Electricity wasn't too big a deal.
    • I am still unsure about Scars of the Soul. I feel like most encounters won't last long enough for it to really come into play, but I thought it would be a cool ability for a BBEG to have. And since it only applies to martial strikes, it's likely whatever is hit won't die by Wisdom damage!
    • Demonic Flight is basically Fell Flight (a standard Warlock invocation), but makes you look awesome.
    • I have no idea if there are any broken combos with this, but all demon stuff is keyed off Charisma, and I felt this would be a unique ability to represent that.
    • Heritage could easily be lumped in with...Heritage. If fact, I think that's what I was intending to do, hence them both having the same name.
    • Unending Depths of the Abyss is actually 10d4 extra damage. I may need to tone it down a little, it might be too strong for a 7th level maneuver as is.
    • Vile Blast is like most Essence Invocations, adding some damage to the EB and changing the type of damage your EB deals. I wasn't too worried about the extra status effects, since they don't stack, once you have them, you have them. Utterdark Blast lays on 2 negative levels with a failed save (as well as normal damage), and is a terrifying addition to any Glaivelock's arsenal. And those negative levels stack.

I'm going to tone down Unending Depths, merge Demonic Heritage, remove UMD, and edit Demonic Presence now.

Thanks for the input everyone, and look forward to more!
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2009-01-18 at 02:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

No other comments from anyone? Is it just not that grabbing?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Child of the Abyss (aka Making Hideous Blow useful!) [3.5 PrC]

this is a very nice prc. i like what you've done, especially since i am a huge fan of both warlocks and sublime classes.

umd is one of the warlock's best friends, and it would be sad to see it go, especially since this class has already lost new invocations and has only a +3d6 eb over 10 levels. might as well let him keep something warlockish. most games i've played, once a skill is a class skill, it is always a class skill, no matter what class is being advanced. but for those that have to play by the rules as written in the books, be nice to them and give them their umd back. that's my opinion.

i agree with neek about the capstone. all vile damage is tremendously overpowered in my opinion. +2d6 vile is formidable, especially since it would still be multiplied on a critical. if you feel it is weak there, maybe make it +3d6 or something, but to make all eb damage vile is pretty harsh.

improved hideous blow might be too dramatic a raise in power level too quick. especially since it can be used with a one-level dip. i realize that hideous blow is weak as an invocation. i'd fudge more toward the middle ground.

either start out at level one with a nerfed imp hideous blow; maybe it allows two strikes on a standard act with the eldritch blast. then, at 6th level or so, give it the full effect.

or just keep the one you have, but put it at 3rd level, demonic flight at 2nd level, and demonic heritage at 1st.

you might be able to get away with squeezing one more invocation into it somewhere; maybe 2nd level or so.

other than that, in my opinion, this is a cool class. good job. nicely envisioned.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I always played with the "once a class skill, always a class skill" rule, I didn't realize that wasn't RAW. It shouldn't be a big deal to put that back in.

Hmm...I really like the idea of the blast being pure vile damage. Maybe if there was no extra damage dice, just changing your existing Eldritch Blast into vile damage?

That is a very good point about dipping to get the full Improved Hideous Blow, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the input! Glad you like it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

no prob.

yeah, i like it. already bookmarked.

i'm not sure what to do about the vile damage. maybe playtest it, see if the vile damage causes that much of a problem.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not too worried about the vile damage in the hands of a player, since it's rare for enemies to encounter PCs, and then live to speak of it unless it's a TPK. in the hands of a BBEG though...well, it would make him all the more dangerous, and require the preparation...yeah, that would probably have to be tested. If many more people express worry of the amount of vile damage...well, I could make Vile Blast deal half vile damage and half normal damage.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

that would be acceptable in my opinion.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Neek -- Wow, great response! Thanks! I'm glad you like it. And yeah, I wound up using three a lot in this PrC.
    Thank you. I prefer it when reviewing a class to go down the line with every thing presented. It makes sure when thinking of certain abilities (such a the Improved Hideous Blow), I keep in mind other factors. This also brings in a certain analysis when doing PEACH in that anything and everything is under scrutiny.

Three's not a bad number, it keeps everything nice and even.

• The minimum entry level is lv 5, thanks to the 8 ranks needed. You could just through hoops with feats to enter into it with no martial classes, but you'll need 2 levels of Warlock.
    That works quite well. The issue with class skills with multiclassing in RAW is the max ranks go up, but if it's not part of the class skill set for the level you just took, it's paid for as a cross-class rank. Because it's bloody difficult to track what's class skill for which class (unless you notate specifically what ranks are what), and the fact that it's poorly enforced by DMs, it's been de facto any skill that is a class skill for any class you have levels in. I wouldn't think too hard about it.

• I was debating between a d8 and d10 and since this class won't want to wear anything more than light armor, I decided to go with the lower to really make this an offensive class.
    That was my bad, I stated that Warlocks got d8 hit die, not d6 (I am now not lazy enough to be arsed to check the books). Still, d8 was the better choice .

• Skills I like, though I'm thinking about taking out UMD since it doesn't really fit well, it's just vestigial left over from Warlock.
    I'd keep it in, just for RAW's sake. This class would benefit it the same as a warlock would, and seeing as this class is closer to the 'lock than it is the swordsage...

• It's a very offensive class, and while I was thinking about a 3/4 progression, but it's supposed to be highly offensive, and Hideous Blow isn't a touch attack.
    • I thought about having the Fort save be poor, but then I figured "What the hell?"
    I just checked it, and the Warlock gets 3/4 BAB, not 1/2 like I thought; for more offensive power, I'd reconsider the 1/2 BAB. Or, you could justify that the low BAB is to offset the other abilities (like Hideous Blow + Maneuvers).

• I kept the maneuvers a little low, since you're spending a lot of your time embracing your inner power, not learning fancy new techniques, but I've always liked getting something every level.
    • You are correct in how Invoking works. However, this is not how any warlock PrCs work. PrCs that give a caster or invoking level increase the warlock's caster level, and gives him bonus EB damage and new invocations known, but doesn't increase the type of invocation he can choose from, which I always thought was weird. So it's something I put into my warlock PrCs, so they aren't boned it they want to switch back to Warlock levels later.
    I prefer both methods you used; getting a larger progression on maneuvers would be an overpowered choice, but you get them at enough intervals for them to be interesting (this is my problem with playing classes like wizard: You get a bonus feat every 5th levels, it's not enough to keep you interested into the next level for it. Every three, however, and you're VERY interested.) For your method of invoking, I think this is more intuitive than existing PrC's options.

• I'm glad you like the upgrade. I feel it's still competitive with Eldritch Glaive, since it's not a touch attack, and as a swift action that makes it compete with many martial boosts. It's like a magical Sneak Attack.
    Which isn't why I thought it was nice, instead of disgustingly overpowered. 1st level Shadow Hand stance Island of Blades makes a Rogue/Swordsage very dangerous because he will get a sneak attack EVERY attack. This is very balanced with how separate class abilities abilities synergize, whether intentional or unintentional.

• I don't think DR stacks unless it's specifically stated, so no, I don't believe it stacks. As for the Resistance...I thought at lv 7, Resistance 1 to Electricity wasn't too big a deal.
    Then I have no real complaints. I was worried that it might stack, being that it doesn't, I can stop sweating.

[list][*]I am still unsure about Scars of the Soul. I feel like most encounters won't last long enough for it to really come into play, but I thought it would be a cool ability for a BBEG to have. And since it only applies to martial strikes, it's likely whatever is hit won't die by Wisdom damage!
    Good point. I don't think 1 point is worth enough to really make it bad, seeing as there's a Fort save involved.

• Demonic Flight is basically Fell Flight (a standard Warlock invocation), but makes you look awesome.
    I'd prefer it were just an extraordinary ability. It seems superfluous to make it an invocation that lasts 24 hours. I mean, it's still pretty awesome.

• I have no idea if there are any broken combos with this, but all demon stuff is keyed off Charisma, and I felt this would be a unique ability to represent that.
    • Heritage could easily be lumped in with...Heritage. If fact, I think that's what I was intending to do, hence them both having the same name.
    There's no reason either way. I think just for form, it looks better.

• Unending Depths of the Abyss is actually 10d4 extra damage. I may need to tone it down a little, it might be too strong for a 7th level maneuver as is.
    10d4 averages out to 25 damage, 5d4 to 12.5 damage. Keep that in mind with your adjustments.

• Vile Blast is like most Essence Invocations, adding some damage to the EB and changing the type of damage your EB deals. I wasn't too worried about the extra status effects, since they don't stack, once you have them, you have them. Utterdark Blast lays on 2 negative levels with a failed save (as well as normal damage), and is a terrifying addition to any Glaivelock's arsenal. And those negative levels stack.
    Then I won't be worried about insanity, more the WHOLE damage being vile. Going half isn't the worst idea anyone could have.

Upon review, I'd bump the BAB to 3/4 to make this class more offensive. While it's good a balancing act with Improved Hideous Blow, I think it makes the feature more subpar than it does balance it off.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad you like it but...I have no idea where you're getting the 1/2 BAB idea. This class is, and has been from the initial posting, full BAB.

The reason why Demonic Flight is an invocation is becauseit mirrors both the Warlock Lesser Invocation Fell Flight, and the Enlightened Spirit (Warlock PrC) Invocation.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2009-01-21 at 01:19 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I'm glad you like it but...I have no idea where you're getting the 1/2 BAB idea. This class is, and has been from the initial posting, full BAB.
    MY BAD. I ARE RETARDED. I WEAR A HELMET TO THE POTTY. :P

The reason why Demonic Flight is an invocation is becauseit mirrors both the Warlock Lesser Invocation Fell Flight, and the Enlightened Spirit (Warlock PrC) Invocation.
    Alright. Carry on then.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

i like it. the only thing i don't like that hasn't been mentioned already is the alignment shift from demonic heritage. anyone taking this prestige class probably isn't going to be either good or lawful, which means at level 8 they're going to be CN. for BBEGs this would be fine, but right off reading this, i wanted to play it, and know a few other people who would as well. would it maybe be better to have an alignment prerequisite of CN, NE, or CE, and scrap the shift?

baby sitter of evil arcane powers beyond imagining

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The idea behind the shift is that any warlock can tap into their heritage, even if they're good or lawful. But embracing your inner demon, even if you intend to use it's power for good, will change and corrupt you. Personally, I would remove the alignment restrictions on Warlocks if I could, especially since there are so many other ways you can fluff the warlock into getting their powers.

For instance, a Chaotic Good Warlock could decide that while he was cursed with these powers, he could use them to battle his foes (fight fire with fire, basically). But embracing your enemies methods, even to fight that enemy, will make you more like them in the end. Like that quote about when battling monsters, you must be wary not to become one yourself. And I like the idea of the path you have chosen to follow (aka PrC) slowly corrupting you the farther you travel down it.

And I'm glad you like it!
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2009-01-30 at 06:20 PM.