New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "I agree with Grace, such punishment seems rather cruel in my opinion. Can't he do community service without putting his life at risk in such a manner? He hardly appears to be a soldier after all. I'm sure his abilities would suit other purposes. If he truly build this robot, why not let him work in your... technology-room or whatever you call it?" Cessie suggests.
    Mag frowns.

And let him sneak in some fail-safes to explode in everyone's face the moment his sentence is up, just like with the stuff he was giving Riv? You'd be better off hiring Lex Luthor and telling him his inventions are going to be used by Superman.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-04-29 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

Quinn listens intently to the whole thing!

And shakes her head.

"I'm not entirely sure it's fair to pull somebody in on a charge, have them be determined to be innocent, but then toss a number of other charges at him just for the sake of getting something to stick."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Private Room

"It means you'll work in concert with my own Intelligence team. Likely reporting most threats straight to them."
    Raz nods

OK, makes sense. Uh, listen. I've got a proposition. Now from what I've heard, you guys are pretty pragmatic, goals focused people right? Now, to cut to the chase, I break into places and nick stuff. I'm pretty good at it, even in the NEXUS. Now I'm thinking, there might be a point when you need that done.

He looks at her.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

"We have good evidence to believe he isn't innocent, Quinn. This might not be what he intended to accomplish, and therefore the sentence should be somewhat more lenient... but his actions were negligent nonetheless.
    "Of course, I still advise there should be more investigation into the entire affair."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

"We were still compiling the list of charges when he was brought in. You have to realize, there aren't that many people who cause this sort of thing, and get caught." She tells Quinn. "Or, taken alive anyways. The explosion was by far the more important thing to react to than finishing the list of charges. Not only this, but several of the charges are new, such as resisting arrest."

"That said, he won't be a problem, because Jyarl doesn't accept problems within his unit. Besides, he's already resorted to dropping things from orbit and threatening my personnel with the use of force. What would you suggest, toss him into a prison? It'd only be a matter of time before he broke out, or someone got him out, and you all know that. Community service does nothing unless enforced, and again, he'd escape somehow. If you doubt Jyarl's ability to keep control, I can let you interview him."

Private Room

Vasquez scowls. "Raz...why did you think it'd be a good idea to tell the leader of Remnant, a law enforcement organization, that you break into places and steal things?"

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

"Fair enough," Quinn says with a nod, and deciding to listen further before opining further.

Erin, however, has a frown on her face.
    A FROWN.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

7. - Top - End - #427

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Private Room

Vasquez scowls. "Raz...why did you think it'd be a good idea to tell the leader of Remnant, a law enforcement organization, that you break into places and steal things?"
    Raz grins despite himself

You guys just have jurisdiction in Inside right? Never said where I nick stuff. Not here, certainly. I learned my trade back on my homeworld, working for the good guys, stealing from the bad guys. Just saying, I've got talents that could make a useful operative

He shrugs.

Or not. Your call.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Grace smiles a little.
    "I continue to disagree, Vasquez, but why don't we make a compromise? We will devise several judgments, and then let Phil choose between them should he be sentenced? It will help gain his cooperation, and it will let each of us offer our own talents for the task."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

"The Council would need to agree on all of the sentences to be offered. Otherwise, it is allowing whoever feels the most lenient to control the decision," Delisle points out. "Did you have a specific suggestion, Grace?"
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

"He didn't resist you after saying he was surrendering, and he didn't threaten your organization." She says. "Personally, I don't see why we should give him the option of choosing the easiest punishment. Whatever else you decide, I won't be lenient on those specific charges unless a more suitable punishment is suggested."

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course, Delisle. There was a reason for my use of plural, after all. And trust me when I say I am interested in adequate punishment."
    Grace smiles at Vasquez.
    "And you're correct, Vasquez. He did not. Which is why I suggest we let someone he hasn't resisted take charge. Far more likely he'll fall in line, that way."

"Now my own suggestion may seem a little unorthodox, to those of you more used to traditional, human punishment systems... perhaps even a little alarming, I might say."
    A silver pocket watch twists its way from Grace's pocket, its chain twirling around her finger.
    "But it accounts for several of Nexus's peculiarities, and allows for the flexibility needed."

"What I suggest is that instead throwing the man in prison, or in a camp- instead of directly taking charge of him, we take a little collateral. Exact a fine and an insurance that he won't try and escape judgment, you see. Of course, pinning down something valuable enough that someone will take notice of might seem a little difficult, but I do have a solution for that too."
    One of her fingers traces over the intricate spirals of the design on the watch's front.
    "I suggest we instead of imprisoning the man, we imprison his soul."
    A hand raises to forestall concerns.
    "I know the reputation of such things, particularly as they relate to stereotypes surrounding my people, but trust me when I say this can be quite fair. It need not be permanent, or torturous, but it does very well in exacting its payment, and its authority. Leaving such an item in the possession of another gives the possessor a certain amount of authority over them- a sympathetic magical effect. It could be used to restrain in the case of relapse, or forestall retaliation, or to simply ensure that augmenting favors required are completed precisely.
    "Oh yes, there is the chance of abuse, but when you've power, when is that not true? This is simply another tool, and one suited to our circumstances."

"For a sentence in Nexus, control is needed, but flexibility and freedom as well- we cannot rely on jail or bonds, duty or direct oversight... they are too easily escaped or forgotten under the eye of the Nexus's grand narrative. This gives us both. It is a restraint with slack and yet near inescapable binding.
    "Of course, merely maintaining a soul is hardly full punishment, but it allows the sentence to be flexible. Rather than set a certain task for a certain length of time, you set a level of debt, which may be paid off gradually as needed and appropriate."

The watch slips away back into Grace's suit.
    "Of course, as I said, I'm aware of the reputation of such things... but its mechanism has its appeal. So, I leave the judgment up to the council."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

"Absolutely not," Quinn snaps, staring at Grace in horror. "I will not countenance any action taken to somebody's soul," the Champion of Neirian declares in an angry tone.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez is barely able to hide the stunned look on her face, and leans forward, deep in thought. "...no." She finally answers, looking at Grace. "That is going too far. I have killed people, dozens, if not well into the hundreds, in my time as a soldier. I have used many vile methods, ranging from fire, to poison, to strangling someone with their own hair. But the one line I refuse to cross unless by absolute necessity, is controlling someone's soul. I've seen the effects. Doing so, even temporarily, would mean denying them access to their rightful afterlife. It's not control over him you're offering, it's violation."

"At least my punishment gave his soul freedom even if his body was restrained. You would take both, as well as his mind with your "sympathetic magic "." She shakes her head. "To do so, would ruin whatever hopes this Council has of achieving peace Inside."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

"I think you both may overestimate souls a little... or perhaps underestimate the rest. Mind, body, and soul. The psyche, the motors, and the essence. Each one is essential to a person, a piece of putting them together and getting the real them. And any punishment you enact will have effects on the whole. Prison enslaves the body, disallowing someone from interacting with the world, putting pressure on the psyche. And forcing someone to labor? Enslaves the psyche to your overriding will, making it move by your designs instead.
    "And affecting each affects the rest. It's a cycle- else, why would we do this at all? If you thought penance, reflection, and punishment, would have no effect, would you punish at all? And if you do think that... you think that doesn't affect the soul?"

Graces raises an eyebrow.

15. - Top - End - #435

Gordon shakes his head.

"Grace, no matter how you wrap that idea in words, I don't believe that this council will accept that punishment. Affecting the soul is something that most people would find it very upsetting."

Gordon leans back in his chair, thinking. After a moment, he resumes the normal position of sitting.

"But to the issue of punishment, I believe I have a solution. He could work in one of my refineries, for the period of a month. I have enough men to ensure that he serves his sentence."

16. - Top - End - #436

"I... think we are talking about different types of souls here." The mage says, not sure what everyone is getting so upset about.

"I'm honestly not sure how your souls work, but the souls in my world are just imprints of the real person. While a soul would think it's the real person. It's really not. It's just a residue of terrestrial energy left behind by the mind." Or so the mages believe, sure makes necromancy much easier to handle ethically. Necomancy is of course still forbidden in Hestopia...

"Explain to me Grace, what would soul imprisoning do to the soul and the body in this case?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-04-30 at 05:26 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    Raz grins despite himself

You guys just have jurisdiction in Inside right? Never said where I nick stuff. Not here, certainly. I learned my trade back on my homeworld, working for the good guys, stealing from the bad guys. Just saying, I've got talents that could make a useful operative

He shrugs.

Or not. Your call.
    ((I think you missed this Wolfy))

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Grace waves a dismissive hand.
    "I can see that I've overestimated the acceptability of such tactics. My apologies for wasting time. Cessie, if you would like to discuss the mechanics of such magic, I'd be happy to, but maybe it would be better to move on with the subject at hand rather than spend time explaining it to everyone."
    She gives Cessie an apologetic smile.

"Anyone else have a suggestion?"
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-30 at 11:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig has been quiet for a lot of the debate, mostly due to being deadtimed. Now, he speaks up, scratching his chin. Two and a half years ago, I sat in the jury on a trial... the defendant was found guilty and a Mark of Justice was placed on him. It turned him into a fish should he get close to a person he had tried to kidnap. Maybe we could place a similar restraint on Phil?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #440

"Fair enough, perhaps later then Grace." The mage responds with a nod. "As for suggestions, I support the option of some type of community service, not forcible conscription however. That seems just as cruel as the soul imprisoning." And she wasn't even sure what that punishment here.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Council Room

"I'm a career soldier, Ms. Mithar. I would hardly consider the job that I, and the other members of Remnant, do every day as particularly cruel, and certainly not to be compared to soul imprisonment." Delisle says, her tone still calmly professional, though she is rather offended. "As for Ms. Grace's suggestion, it might be more appropriate as a punishment for deliberate acts of murder, but we're speaking of criminal negligence. What is needed is some way to convince him of the possible consequences of his recklessness so that he will be more careful and considerate of the lives of others in future."

Front Entrance

A delivery girl from Stan's Steakhouse arrives. Whatever she's carrying smells delicious. "Hi, I have a delivery for someone called... Mainframe?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Entrance

The guard inside the entrance blinks a bit. "Um...okay? Go through the scanners."

Private Room

"Maybe."
    is all Vasquez says before shaking her head and heading to merge with her plotclone in the meeting room.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Entrance

The delivery girl voluntarily hands over about 4 guns and 12 knives before heading through the scanners. It's a dangerous job, you know!

She should make it through without incident after that though.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Entrance

She'll be let up and let into the room with Mainframe.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Defendant's Room

The cute delivery girl brings in a takeout box that holds a delicious steak dinner.

"Order for Mainframe?"

"Yes. Thank you. Please set it on the table."

The girl glances between Mainframe and Phil, and really hopes the meal is for Phil. Because a meat eating robot would be creepy as heck.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Council Room

"I'm a career soldier, Ms. Mithar. I would hardly consider the job that I, and the other members of Remnant, do every day as particularly cruel, and certainly not to be compared to soul imprisonment." Delisle says, her tone still calmly professional, though she is rather offended. "As for Ms. Grace's suggestion, it might be more appropriate as a punishment for deliberate acts of murder, but we're speaking of criminal negligence. What is needed is some way to convince him of the possible consequences of his recklessness so that he will be more careful and considerate of the lives of others in future."
    Council Room

"That's not what I meant Ms. Delisle, it's the implied threat of force I'm referring to. While I realize force is nessecary, it sounded like there was some special type of punishment involved?" Cessie explains calmly. "In any case, perhaps he should work among the people he have caused harm to? To see what he have caused. That might work."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-04-30 at 03:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Council Room

Quinn clears her throat softly.
    "A Mark of Justice could be a possible method of punishment - but what would be its terms? 'Don't drop giant robots, chicks don't dig them'?"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

[Council Room]

I'm not sure, honestly. Sending him to the Penal Legion might end up being simpler.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Phil squirms about and thinks for a moment.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Defendant's Room

"Certainly. I will arrange for bull immediately," Mainframe says, and electronically places an order for steak to be delivered. Phil should be glad the board filters prevented him saying the actual word he was thinking, or Mainframe might be now ordering manure. "I will analyze the footage I was given in depth, but have you considered that explosives may have been returned to the site after the Empire left the area?"
    Defendant's Room

The cute delivery girl brings in a takeout box that holds a delicious steak dinner.

"Order for Mainframe?"

"Yes. Thank you. Please set it on the table."

The girl glances between Mainframe and Phil, and really hopes the meal is for Phil. Because a meat eating robot would be creepy as heck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    Phil squirms about and thinks for a moment.

Being an AI, Mainframe is infinitely patient and will wait as long as Phil likes.

Having a human player, it will sadly deadtime now. If Phil wants to speak to the Council or Erin again, Mainframe can be godmodded along as a deadtime zombie, or will get messages from Phil to others. (Within reason - it's not going to pass on a message to tell Phil's robots to run amok or anything, but I'm sure you know that. )

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs