New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Excepting the fact I don't actually want to give up my only unit of ships. Besides, pretty soon, I'll meet that requirement when a unit dies in the HG war.
    Well, you had agreed to it so... I don't mind renegotiating but I wish you'd have negotiated it first since now things are all out of thematic order. Ah well, we can leave fluff as is I suppose since we'd have to edit previous stuff to make sense and just change the mechanics of it. What about establishing a trade with Celero or Ignato then?

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Well, you had agreed to it so... I don't mind renegotiating but I wish you'd have negotiated it first since now things are all out of thematic order. Ah well, we can leave fluff as is I suppose since we'd have to edit previous stuff to make sense and just change the mechanics of it. What about establishing a trade with Celero or Ignato then?
    What's the trade? And for the record, when I agreed, that was during the five minutes of free time I had between classes and lunch. I had no time to think about it then.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Calling Region 55. I'll get a write up done this weekend, probably.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

What's the trade? And for the record, when I agreed, that was during the five minutes of free time I had between classes and lunch. I had no time to think about it then.
    It's fine, but I'm just saying it seems weird in character ya know? It doesn't really matter of course.

Anyway, since you brought it up IC I moved negotiations back over there.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #755

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    It's fine, but I'm just saying it seems weird in character ya know? It doesn't really matter of course.

Anyway, since you brought it up IC I moved negotiations back over there.
    Since everything else had been IC, I thought it best to keep to there.

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to chime in:

I think it is fitting and fair to the UN to allow a renegotiation of their troop strength.

If not, you could always make it a fluff action that your troops, now demilitarized, are charged with building a wonder.

If your concern is your ships, we could call it a long term loan to the GC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I want one of my Terrain features to be a river. How should I deal with that, since it's going to pass through at least one more region?

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely don't want to drag things along.

...and I can't really just up and leave the event thread so I'll be poking my head in during the week. I think I only have two responses to make at the moment.

Also, I've only really chosen one quote to answer about my leaving because I don't want to clog up the discusssion.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear that! Your stuff has been fun and interesting to read, and your mention of a lost trading partner was actually part of what inspired me to leave hints of some lost history in the Glazfell, though I was leaving it open as to whether that was them or someone completely different or the doom of the world sealed for ten thousand years or something.

Good luck with your personal problems, though; I've heard that those can be pretty nasty depending on the circumstances.
    It has? Thank you.

I actually meant to PM Aspi earlier letting him know that basically the only thing I'd written about the north is it's fairly inhospitable in Tekorvans' experience and aaaages ago there used to be trade through it with allies Tekorva's lost.

Their import necessity is around that particular point actually. They still eat rice, even though their allies are long gone.

Mmm... A bit mopey I suppose actually.

EDIT - Derp
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-03-12 at 09:35 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Slayer, I'll have you know I picture those drinking horns Orgnar gave to Tikta and Cassandra as full-size hollowed-out elephant tusks.

And firedaemon, I don't think it will affect anything for you to have a river as one of your terrain features. Most of the game (including things like trade routes and physical distance) is kinda glossed over in play because the game happens in 5 year increments. Terrain features so far are pure fluff, so you don't have to worry about creating something inappropriate.

...well, MAYBE you do... I guess that depends on your imagination!
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-03-12 at 09:25 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Molagas

Region #55: Firedaemon33

Rolls

Elereshur Ciladien
    Diplomacy: 3
    Military: 3
    Curiosity: 5
    Faith: 2
    Luck: 2

Population: 78,000

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    The terrain of Molagas is quite peaceful and pleasant, considering those that control it. The northern reaches are deciduous forest, which gradually cede into southern plains.

A large solitary mountain sits near the center of Molagas' plains, upon which the capital city of Castagna sprawls. The city's denizens live on levels, with the richest nobles and queen living near the summit, while the lower folks live below. The peak is approximately 10,948 feet above sea level, and at it's base, Mt. Castagna has a diameter of approximately 25,764 feet.

Around Mt. Castagna, the Alaphon river flows. Entering Molagas from the north, the Alaphon's course leads it to collide head on with Mt. Castagna, and the river splits into eastern and western branches around the mountain. Eventually, further south of the mountain, the branches rejoin and flow on a meandering course to the ocean.

The forest in Northern Molagas has moods, or so the legends go, and nowhere do these seem more apparent than in the deepest, thickest part, the Myrewood. So far, few explorers who have set out to explore have returned alive, and little is known about the area. (Note: Morph, I'm giving you a wild-card to mess with me. Put whatever you think would be most hilarious in here.)

Spoiler: People
    Show
    People: The people of Molagas are, in short, demons. Civilized demons, but the average outlook tends towards the cruel, nasty and brutish, rather than what most paladins would have you believe is the "enlightened" viewpoint. Both genders share a few qualities, such as scales, horns, claws, tails, and wings, but otherwise, there is a higher-than-normal level of sexual dimorphism among the Molagaseans. The males' scales tend to be rougher and thicker, their tails thicker and spiked, and their claws more suited to brutally things tearing apart, while the females have finer scales, tails that are thin and tipped with vicious barbs, and claws that are better for quick, precise strikes.

Despite, or perhaps due to their demonic nature, Molagasean society scorns the supernatural. The recognize it's existence, but don't bother with it, and even look down upon those who try to call upon the gods. Instead, they focus greatly on technological developments, in an attempt to hold their own against what they believe to be inferior and risky divine magic.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Resources: Molagas has three major resources: Wood, from the forests to the north; Iron, mined from Mt. Castagna; and a very rare metal, also mined in Mt. Castagna, called Agni Metal. This metal is very strong and light, but, as of yet, has resisted any effort to be smelted into usable bars as it's heat resistance is so high, not even the greatest furnaces build in Molagas have been able to even soften it. Is is a black, lustrous metal that is stronger than Mithril. It also is a superconductor, and is incredibly durable in mechanical construction, as well as being able to hold a very sharp edge.

However, the Molagaseans, while expert craftsmen and inventors, lack the skills to farm. It's not something they've ever needed, their population being small enough that hunters were adequate to supply for the community. However, with a recent population boom, they are unable to keep up and must import a vast majority of their food from elsewhere.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Religion: The people of Molagas are atheistic. They pay lip service to the Blazing Avatar, as his seems to be the most powerful cult, but they mainly wish to stay out of the eyes of the gods.

Spoiler: Technology
    Show
    None yet, but the Molgaseans are definitely interested in scientific advance.

What turn do I start on? Turn 8?

EDIT: And we have formatting!
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-03-13 at 03:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    And here's the start of my Write-up: I'll get it nice and formatted tomorrow.

Region Name: Molagas

Population: 78,000

Terrain: The terrain of Molagas is quite peaceful and pleasant, considering those that control it. The northern reaches are deciduous forest, which gradually cede into southern plains.

A large solitary mountain sits near the center of Molagas' plains, upon which the capital city of Castagna sprawls. The city's denizens live on levels, with the richest nobles and queen living near the summit, while the lower folks live below. The peak is approximately 10,948 feet above sea level, and at it's base, Mt. Castagna has a diameter of approximately 25,764 feet.

Around Mt. Castagna, the Alaphon river flows. Entering Molagas from the north, the Alaphon's course leads it to collide head on with Mt. Castagna, and the river splits into eastern and western branches around the mountain. Eventually, further south of the mountain, the branches rejoin and flow on a meandering course to the ocean.

The forest in Northern Molagas has moods, or so the legends go, and nowhere do these seem more apparent than in the deepest, thickest part, the Myrewood. So far, few explorers who have set out to explore have returned alive, and little is known about the area. (Note: Morph, I'm giving you a wild-card to mess with me. Put whatever you think would be most hilarious in here.)

People: The people of Molagas are, in short, demons. Civilized demons, but the average outlook tends towards the cruel, nasty and brutish, rather than what most paladins would have you believe is the "enlightened" viewpoint. Both genders share a few qualities, such as scales, horns, claws, tails, and wings, but otherwise, there is a higher-than-normal level of sexual dimorphism among the Molagaseans. The males' scales tend to be rougher and thicker, their tails thicker and spiked, and their claws more suited to brutally things tearing apart, while the females have finer scales, tails that are thin and tipped with vicious barbs, and claws that are better for quick, precise strikes.

Despite, or perhaps due to their demonic nature, Molagasean society scorns the supernatural. The recognize it's existence, but don't bother with it, and even look down upon those who try to call upon the gods. Instead, they focus greatly on technological developments, in an attempt to hold their own against what they believe to be inferior and risky divine magic.

Resources: Molagas has three major resources: Wood, from the forests to the north; Iron, mined from Mt. Castagna; and a very rare metal, also mined in Mt. Castagna, called Igni Metal. This metal is very strong and light, but, as of yet, has resisted any effort to be smelted into usable bars as it's heat resistance is so high, not even the greatest furnaces build in Molagas have been able to even soften it.

However, the Molagaseans, while expert craftsmen and inventors, lack the skills to farm. It's not something they've ever needed, their population being small enough that hunters were adequate to supply for the community. However, with a recent population boom, they are unable to keep up and must import a vast majority of their food from elsewhere.

Religion: The people of Molagas are atheistic. They pay lip service to the Blazing Avatar, as his seems to be the most powerful cult, but they mainly wish to stay out of the eyes of the gods.

Ruler: Elereshur Ciladien (Rolls)
    Diplomacy: 3
    Military: 3
    Curiosity: 5
    Faith: 2
    Luck: 2

What turn do I start on? Turn 8?
    You can start this turn if you get approved by Morph. Are you planning on using my format for you country for ease of organization?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

If you'll post it so I can find it easily, then yes, I'll use your format, Wombat.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

If you'll post it so I can find it easily, then yes, I'll use your format, Wombat.
    Here you go! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=643

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Is that in the FAQ? Should probably be if it isn't already.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Is that in the FAQ? Should probably be if it isn't already.
    Good call! I'm on it. Also just noticed the FAQ isn't linked in this incarnation of the thread.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Wombat,

since you are updating things, you might want to pull in that diplomatic stuff Morph wrote about rolling to gain support for new rulers when they take over an NPC region. I think it was on page around 18 or 20.

Hey Elemental,
    Loving the back and forth on the ships. Best interaction I have had in the game so far!

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Hey Wombat,

since you are updating things, you might want to pull in that diplomatic stuff Morph wrote about rolling to gain support for new rulers when they take over an NPC region. I think it was on page around 18 or 20.

Hey Elemental,
    Loving the back and forth on the ships. Best interaction I have had in the game so far!
    Well, he said he'll add that at a later point, he was waiting on critique from the players about it before actually including it, as he's been doing with rules of the past.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

@Blade: Glazfell is off to a great start. Bravo!
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[CENTER]Molagas
    Continuing my streak of nation "reviews" that nobody wants or asks for! Except Ark, technically. Meh.

Anyway, unless I missed something important, I think everything is in order here. The only real issue I can find is that it might be possible that I'm missing something because the formatting is questionable. While you at least broke everything up into paragraphs, the headings are nondistinct which gives the impression of a wall of text rather than an organized writeup.

Maybe you could split the various subsections like Religion and People and Terrain into spoilered subcategories for easier reading?

Also, where is #55? It's not on the current map, though Morph mentioned sending a newer one to some of the prospective players. It's probably okay, but hey.

Finally, this isn't really a bad thing but more of a curiosity: Why not use Tieflings or some other Fiend-blooded creature or maybe just a "monster" race? The term "Demon" carries a lot of religious/moral/philosophical baggage that isn't established here or elsewhere in this game, and it seems a little odd to refer to something without that baggage as one.

Kind of like how it'd be weird to call something a Dragon without a serpentine form or any form of flight or the power to breathe something. If you're being creative or drawing on certain alternate interpretations you might be able to keep the essence of "dragon" with just one or two of these things, but with none of them it just doesn't really fit, you know?

Anyway, I'm not so brazen as to demand you change it or anything, but I do find your decision to be a tiny bit strange.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing! What's up with Igni Metal? You mention that it's light and strong and hard to forge, which is cool. But what makes it thematically different from Mithril, aside from being less shiny?

I'm one of those people who likes it when we all work together to create a coherent world instead of spiderwebbing out and building all of our own ivory towers off in corners, and simple things like halfway consistent "fantastic" races and resources make me happier.

Anyway, if you were to just use Mithril, you could save yourself a Curiosity 10 action by trading for or stealing the existing Mithril-Forging tech. If not, there should be some kind of thematic reason for it. Is it hot to the touch by nature, and hard to forge simply because it has a ludicrously high melting point and deformation resistance? Does it scream slightly if you put your ear up to it and seem to cause really nasty wounds if you cut yourself on it?

Also, this is more of a nitpick, but Igni metal just seems to lack some oomph, linguistically speaking. Why not something that rolls off the tongue a little bit better, like Helliron or Silverflame or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    @Blade: Glazfell is off to a great start. Bravo!
    Thank you, thank you! I'm here every Thursday.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-03-13 at 11:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally, this isn't really a bad thing but more of a curiosity: Why not use Tieflings or some other Fiend-blooded creature or maybe just a "monster" race? The term "Demon" carries a lot of religious/moral/philosophical baggage that isn't established here or elsewhere in this game, and it seems a little odd to refer to something without that baggage as one.

Kind of like how it'd be weird to call something a Dragon without a serpentine form or any form of flight or the power to breathe something. If you're being creative or drawing on certain alternate interpretations you might be able to keep the essence of "dragon" with just one or two of these things, but with none of them it just doesn't really fit, you know?
    I agree on the baggage issue. Standard demons are usually extraplanar, divine* creatures. What you have seems to be more like an monstrous race of aggressive atheists. On the other hand, demon calls up a specific mental image. So if you were just saying that they would fit that image, then I have no complaints >.>

So really are you just evoking the imagery or are they demons? It's an important distinction

@BladeofObliviom, I like what you did with the Berapi just being our elemental race. Maybe we could expand on that. Tieflings become Berapi (Darklings) or something.

*Divine meaning related to some god.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-03-13 at 11:56 AM.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: Oh, one more thing! What's up with Igni Metal? You mention that it's light and strong and hard to forge, which is cool. But what makes it thematically different from Mithril, aside from being less shiny?
    Clearly it occupies a different spot on the magical periodic table. Probably occupying a nearby position or something.

That said, I like the idea of it being hot to the touch. It explains the name.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    I agree on the baggage issue. Standard demons are usually extraplanar, divine* creatures. What you have seems to be more like an monstrous race of aggressive atheists. On the other hand, demon calls up a specific mental image. So if you were just saying that they would fit that image, then I have no complaints >.>
    I third that. Monsterous agressive athiests who believe they came from "someplace else" seems entirely appropriate. To be honest, though, I'm not certain any religion currently in the game believes in 'someplace else'.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

I third that. Monsterous agressive athiests who believe they came from "someplace else" seems entirely appropriate. To be honest, though, I'm not certain any religion currently in the game believes in 'someplace else'.
    Eh, Mosi started calling the place he sees in meditation Anga Lingine, which just translates to Other Sky. There's a bit of reading on it in the Temple thread where he and the Blazing Avatar go to meet the Lord of fire. It's sort of hinted that there is another place beyond the Lord of Fire. I'm guessing some kind of afterlife, but that was never really explained or expounded on.

If Morph wants to continue that RP maybe we can get to the bottom of it

Aside from that most someplace elses that Radurjic followers might believe people came from could be other planets, since they assume other stars are like our sun. All part of the Great Ancestor.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Molagas

*snip*
    Aside from Wombat's formatting, which you said you'd get to when you have the time, lemme tackle the fluff purely. First off though, you can start this current round (Round 8) as soon as you're approved, which shouldn't be much of a problem.

Terrain features appear to be in order. If you include rivers, it's generally not a problem if your neighbour hasn't included them, due to rivers being around a lot usually anyway. We haven't created a map of all the region's features to figure out what rivers flow where, though I believe Wombat was planning a little side-project on that. Nice bit about the moody wood, that could probably give some fuel for round-start events.

As others noted, calling them straight up demons might be iffy in the eyes of some. That's on the one hand. On the other, calling them "demons" as a race is using a very broad term for something specific. I think there's potential for an original, or at least more poignant name.

Your resources and import necessity are clear, and will be even clearer with the standardized template. I like that you seem to have one resource (Igni metal) that requires a technological advancement to use, having something to work towards.

Well then, time for me to whip out RP posts in the Blazing Temple and Cantus Sai (and the Final Visitation, if more things have happened).
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-03-13 at 01:36 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

I'll agree with the previous sentiments on demons. As of now there isn't really any "Hell" type places and Demons seem to usually come from there (or its equivalent" Perhaps they're simply monstrous humanoids that look like the archetypical demon (and since you've given descriptions that should negate the need for the word) Really any name for them will do.

I also have to echo that Igni metal seems a lot like mithril. Perhaps its properties should be changed some to make it stand out or it should simply become mithril. (Even tainted mithril or something to account for its color)

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Demon Baggage: I am trying to evoke the imagery here, but that doesn't really work without the name. What would you call them, if not demons?

Agni Metal: Agni metal does have a couple of properties beyond being very hard to smelt, ones that I probably should have mentioned in the resource write-up, and that I'll edit in. It is somewhere between Mithril and Adamantine on the strength scale, but it is also a superconductor and, once shaped, is very durable, especially for mechanical construction. And yes, it is slightly warm to the touch.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Demon Baggage: I am trying to evoke the imagery here, but that doesn't really work without the name. What would you call them, if not demons?

Agni Metal: Agni metal does have a couple of properties beyond being very hard to smelt, ones that I probably should have mentioned in the resource write-up, and that I'll edit in. It is somewhere between Mithril and Adamantine on the strength scale, but it is also a superconductor and, once shaped, is very durable, especially for mechanical construction. And yes, it is slightly warm to the touch.
    For the baggage it's just about wording. Instead of saying they are demons, say they look like the archetypical demon.

So Agni Metal is a true superconductor? Maybe it should be cold to the touch instead then
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-03-13 at 01:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

The Tainted? The Dark Ones? Or just some made up name. As I said, your description of them has all the "demon imagery" the name itself carries more than just the image.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

I added the third book to the Radurjic Codex =D