New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e Bloodline] Name Given (PEACH)

There was a request. And so here it is. However, I have never used truenaming. In fact, I don't even own the Tome of Magic. I obtained a pdf which I scanned through, but that was previously the extent of my truenaming knowledge. That and the fact that default truenaming was horribly broken. I am instead using The Way Words Works as the basis for this bloodline. I repeat: I have never used Truenaming before. As such, the quality of this bloodline may be somewhat lacking. If so, I apologize.

Name Given

Every creature has a Truename. Truenamers learn to make use of these to create potent effects to harm enemies and aid allies. Though everyone has one, most do not know what their Truename is. Except the Name Given, that is. For some reason something in their creation went... wrong. Their name was not hidden from them. It is as innate to them as is the ability to breathe. In addition, when they go to say things, instead of speaking in Common they occasionally speak in Truespeak creating supernatural effects. They have the Old Blood. The Blood of the Beginning. They are the Name Given.

Level
    Minor
    Intermediate
    Major
    1 Speak Language +2
    2 Speak Language +2 Natural Truespeach 1st
    3 Intelligence +1
    4 Speak Language +2 Natural Truespeach 1st Recitation 1st
    5 Truename Affinity +2
    6 Intelligence +1 Natural Truespeach 2nd
    7 Truespeak +2
    8 Natural Truespeach 1st Recitation 1st Name Resistance 5
    9 Charisma +1
    10 Truename Affinity +2 Recitation 2nd
    11 Truename Affinity +4
    12 Intelligence +1 Natural Truespeach 2nd Natural Truespeach 3rd
    13 Bluff +2
    14 Truespeak +2 Name Resistance 10
    15 Wisdom +1
    16 Recitation 1st Name Resistance 5 Recitation 3rd
    17 Truespeach Affinity +6
    18 Charisma +1 Natural Truespeach 4th
    19 Diplomacy +2
    20 Truename Affinity +2 Recitation 2nd Know Truename

Special: Name Given are born knowing their Truename.

Speak Language +2: ... What? It's a skill! Pick any two languages to learn besides Druidic.

Natural Truespeach: The Name Given innately possess the ability to Truespeak. They open their mouths and Truespeach just comes out. Each time they gain this ability they choose a single Utterance and a single Incantation to learn of the level indicated. When using these Utterances and Incantations, the Name Given does not add their ranks in Truespeak to these checks - only their Intelligence modifier and an amount they determine from their Natural Truespeak Pool. Their Natural True speak Pool regenerates with 8 hours of rest and has a maximum of 1/2, 1X or 2X their level, depending upon bloodline strength. The Absolute Limit is equal to (2 + their Charisma Modifier) times 1/2, 1X or 2X their level, depending on bloodline strength. Utterances and Incantations gained through this bloodline are held separate from those gained through Truespeaking classes. Truespeak Checks may be made in this way for other purposes, including Counterspeaking or researching Truenames.

Name Resistance: The world places extra emphasis on the Name Given for some enigmatic reason. They are naturally more resistant to Truespeach and their names are more difficult to pronounce. An amount is added to the DC of all Truespeach checks for effects targeted against them.

Truename Affinity: When one knows another's truename, they hold power over them. For some reason this primal knowledge allows the Name Given to better interact with them. They add an amount to all social interaction checks with individuals who's truenames they know.

Recitation: Though they know their Truename at birth, it isn't until this point that they obtain the ability to modify the cadence and inflection used when saying it to produce a Recitation Effect. They gain access to a single Recitation of up to the level listed. They draw from their Natural Truespeak Pool to add bonuses to their Truespeak check when using these Recitations just as they do when using their Utterances and Incantations. While under the effects of a Recitation, they may not use their Utterances and Incantations.

Know Truename: The Name Given speaks and the world answers. They ask a question and the question is answered. They may attempt to learn an individual's Truename as a Full-Round action without need for a Knowledge check or library access as long as they are either within 30ft of the individual who's truename they wish to learn, or possess a linking item such as a lock of hair or a personal possession.

And that's it. Good, bad, horrible, crazy, dull, amazing, stunning, stunningly boring?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 08:16 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline] Name Given (PEACH

I like it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline] Name Given (PEACH)

Thank you, Gareth. I love it. Gonna have to put this in use some day
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    1. No problem. Glad you like it.

2. Gareth?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-06-30 at 07:25 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

5. - Top - End - #5

I decided your name was Gareth. Welknair is far too long, and silly. I definitely didn't forget your name. That would be blasphemy.

Anyhoo, now would be an astute time to skip over that small misfortune of referring to you as Gareth, Gareth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    You called, mortal thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, I just saw this and wanted to post to say that I think you did a really good job making a bloodline for my truenaming system. If anyone likes to play with both bloodlines and my truenaming, I fully endorse this because it's very well made. I'ma add a link to it in the actual material so that more people will be able to see this.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Hey, I just saw this and wanted to post to say that I think you did a really good job making a bloodline for my truenaming system. If anyone likes to play with both bloodlines and my truenaming, I fully endorse this because it's very well made. I'ma add a link to it in the actual material so that more people will be able to see this.
    Wow! That made me inordinately happy. I'm glad you like it, and I'm glad to see that it did your system justice. And I think it's pretty unanimous that your system is required for any sort of practical truenaming. Had I not been worried about Thread Necromancy, I would have commented on your thread. I am in awe of your fix. It is simply amazing and I am honored to know that my bloodline is being endorsed by you.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Seems pretty balanced to me, although I'm no expert in that matter, In a new campaign yet to be started, I'll play one along with a necronomist if I'm allowed by the Dm.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    You called, mortal thing?
    No, I was calling the other Gareth. Y'know Gareth Welknair. Gosh, man, don't be so self centered!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the progression really supposed to skip 1st level Recitations?

Otherwise, it is quite nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Is the progression really supposed to skip 1st level Recitations?

Otherwise, it is quite nice.
    It allows you to pick a first or second level Recitation the first time you get one. And the second you can pick a first, second or third. The first level ones aren't the best and I would rather have the Name Resistance than a first level Recitation worked in there. But if there's one you really have your eye on, you can still get it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Recitations are weird in that they're generally most useful to the people that don't normally get them. That makes them perfect for multiclassers, dippers, or people that have something like this.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Welkneir...

I've been having an EVIL plan. Namely, modded e6

Everyone has one of your Bloodlines at Major strength. This loses them levels 3 and 6.

The only classes they can have are here. If they complete all 3 levels of a given Apprentice Class, they may take the 1st level of the actual related class (Might make a capstone level for the paragon class levels...)

For every 5 (not 10) feats after we hit "epic", they are treated as being one level higher for the purpose of their bloodline. We'll stop gaining xp after taking the 10th feat after level 6.

Therefore, I like it when your bloodlines have a "capstone" for an 8th level character.

So, could you give a suggestion for a level I could replace the benefits of with Recitation 1st?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    So, could you give a suggestion for a level I could replace the benefits of with Recitation 1st?
    Ah, that makes sense. I'd probably knock off the Name Resistance 2 at level 4. And at 8th... Hm. I'd give an alternate there along the lines of

True Surge: The Name Given is the master of the powers which they command. If they desire more power, they need but ask for it. Once per day spending a Full-Round action, the Name Given may enter a True Surge. For the duration of the encounter they are treated as being a level 1/8 or 1/4 their level higher for purposes of determining Absolute Limit and Natural Truespeak Pool. At the end of the encounter they loose a number of points of their Pool equal to the amount gained when they invoked the ability.

That should be suitably Capstone-y. And could possibly be useful in a game utilizing this bloodline, but that lacks a profusion of Truenamers against which to make use of Name Resistance.

And I'd very much like to know how that campaign goes.

Edit: After thinking about it, I think that the level four ability should be Recitation 1st by default. So I changed it.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-30 at 05:06 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

I do have the Tome.

This is very interesting. I'll be thinking about compatibility between this home-brew and my own true-namer document. Obviously, it won't fit directly, but I like the work enough to seriously consider how to shoe-horn it.

...if Welknair doesn't mind, of course...

I'll have some suggestions ready later, either in the thread or through private message if Welknair is amiable.

Such an interesting idea, it is.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    I do have the Tome.

This is very interesting. I'll be thinking about compatibility between this home-brew and my own true-namer document. Obviously, it won't fit directly, but I like the work enough to seriously consider how to shoe-horn it.

...if Welknair doesn't mind, of course...

I'll have some suggestions ready later, either in the thread or through private message if Welknair is amiable.

Such an interesting idea, it is.
    Of course it'd be alright if you used it/attempted to make it compatible! And of course I'd be willing to hear any suggestions you may have

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show