New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

So what is it with guys and going from "this girl hurt me" to "all women are horrible"?
    I'm well aware that it's no doubt a tiny minority of guys who do it, and I'm sure there's women who do it to, but I've never seen a girl get so suddenly and nastily hateful. Although I suppose I might've just missed it *shrug*

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 22: In Which Two Problems Prevent Each Others' Solut

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    So what is it with guys and going from "this girl hurt me" to "all women are horrible"?
    I'm well aware that it's no doubt a tiny minority of guys who do it, and I'm sure there's women who do it to, but I've never seen a girl get so suddenly and nastily hateful. Although I suppose I might've just missed it *shrug*
    It's natural overreaction. It is easy to rail against everyone in a group, rather than rationally say "no, it's just that one person" and possibly have to accept one's own fault. The trick comes in handling the cool-down from that overreaction well and remembering that "all women are horrible" is as untrue as "all men are horrible" or "all Germans are nazis" or something equally terrible (and yes, I've heard all of the above ).

Oh, and yes, women do it too. I've both seen it and been the victim of it. Sure, anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much, but there you have it.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #723

I've seen both, as well as only slightly more nuanced versions. (E.G: "No more musicians, ever!") The reason is human pattern recognition, with a dash of ego salving mixed in; if the major common thread amongst all the people who treated you wrong is vaginas, you're more likely to blame vagnia-havers than the other common thread, which is yourself.

Think sour grapesiness. It's not too far from that conceptual area.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

It happens. In a deeply hurt emotional state, it's easy to say that nothing is YOUR fault, that everything was THEIR fault, and it happens to be even worse because ALL OF THE OTHER GENDER IS OUT TO GET ME!

This is a bit of a grandiose oversimplification, but my point is still essentially true.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Sure, anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much, but there you have it.
    Eh, mine's all anecdotal too. It's all we've got.

An overreaction to a hurt emotional state is all well and good, but every time I've seen it, it goes on for so long - as in months, or years. Or it just changes their view of women forever.

6. - Top - End - #726

Look at some of the forever-alones in this thread. Women clearly only have curves and boobs to tantalize them, and then cruelly refuse to share.

Extended low-level rejection is the real culprit. And cuts every way. The exceptional cases are just the ones pointed to to rationalize the feelings.

7. - Top - End - #727

Your last sentence is confusingly ambiguous. Clarify?

8. - Top - End - #728

Let's take the dumpy chick in high school. Most boys don't even know she exists. One sadist plays her and makes her a laughingstock.

The real issue is "people who I want don't notice me", and rejection stings. The one A-hole is what all those hurt feelings crystallize around, and what's pointed to even if it's a distraction.

It's the low-level constant failure that really grinds, though. Any other explanation is just a cover.

9. - Top - End - #729

Ah, I think I get you now.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    It happens. In a deeply hurt emotional state, it's easy to say that nothing is YOUR fault, that everything was THEIR fault, and it happens to be even worse because ALL OF THE OTHER GENDER IS OUT TO GET ME!

This is a bit of a grandiose oversimplification, but my point is still essentially true.
    I think that that blame can go both ways, depending on what emotion dominates. If anger prevails then I imagine one's much more inclined to blame everybody else, but if depression prevails then I think one'd be more inclined to place all the blame on oneself.

Or maybe it's a complicated mix of both. It seems to me a lot of these type of questions/situations would benefit from considerable psychological expertise in order to truly understand the psychology behind it.

Also, it can be really difficult not to become bitter and cynical if one experiences (almost) nothing but rejection and failure. Trying to maintain hope and optimism in the face of constant negative reinforcement is not easy.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Also, it can be really difficult not to become bitter and cynical if one experiences (almost) nothing but rejection and failure. Trying to maintain hope and optimism in the face of constant negative reinforcement is not easy.
    This. So much of this.

Part of the problem is that different people have different thresholds for the point where they stop trying. Not through laziness or apathy (although it can be a little of that) but some folks have more naturally resiliant personalities than others.

People need something to give them hope - a compliment, a hug, or just someone they can turn to when they fall off the horse for what seems like the hundredth time.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

I have heard that men tend to suffer more from the end of a serious relationship than women, because they have more invested in it relative to other friendships, and because men aren't encouraged to talk about their feelings, so they internalise the hurt.

Especially if they then struggle to find another relationship (and especially especially if their former partner seems to get over it quickly and starts seeing someone else) this gets magnified. Then once it's been repeated a couple of times it's a question of pattern recognition.

The conclusion is, obviously, no more valid than assuming all men are monsters because of $SomeJerk, but I can see how they reach it. As with the "women like bad boys" stereotype, there might also be a tendency for men who've been hurt to seek out (deliberately or no) people who remind them of what they've lost - who'll be similar to the person who hurt them and thus more likely to hurt them again.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Form
    Yup.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #733

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Mostly I just want to stop worrying about romantic notions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Castration. Either that or become seriously involved with a hobby almost to the point where nothing else matters. Only two options I've heard of that work.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Mostly I just want to stop worrying about romantic notions.
    Well, to really avoid it you would have to make a rather large effort. A small social circle would be best just as people who know you and know you are not interested would be a start. Avoid "meet up/meat market" type places. Taken to an extreme you could choose to live online. On a more practical note learn the normal cues of flirtation (eye contact patterns, creating space for people to move into during a conversation, pointing you feet at someone during conversation where you don't have to etc) and avoid it. Stiff or very relaxed posture generally helps that. hmmm....are you still in school?

And Serp. I'd agree with the above that women do the "all males are (insert curse word de jour)" as much as guys
    Last edited by sktarq; 2012-08-10 at 03:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Was this comment sparked by my post? If so, that's not what I'm doing. I'm simply overworried about being in a relationship and trying to figure out how not to hate myself for being completely unable to find and attract someone. I still want to be in a relationship, but I want to stop worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Well, to really avoid it you would have to make a rather large effort. A small social circle would be best just as people who know you and know you are not interested would be a start. Avoid "meet up/meat market" type places. Taken to an extreme you could choose to live online. On a more practical note learn the normal cues of flirtation (eye contact patterns, creating space for people to move into during a conversation, pointing you feet at someone during conversation where you don't have to etc) and avoid it. Stiff or very relaxed posture generally helps that. hmmm....are you still in school?
    Like I said to Serp, I don't want to avoid a relationship. I'm just trying to figure out how not to worry about it and relax.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Oh, that's a . . . horse of a different colour.

To start, goals. set goals of what you want your life to look like with irrespective of a relationships. Could be everything from fixing up the house, career or education work etc. For a lot of people their relationship is the maintence and price reason they go to work etc. Make sure you have something.
    Socially try to work up guys night out or something were you can be social without romantic relationship pairings dominating the dynamic of the social order. Guys night out works, clubs, or even running your own roleplaying game. Something to keep you socially satisfied and not feeling like you are missing out.
    A pet. depending on your situation (living set up) you may or may not be able to use this one. But having a dog or a cat can be very helpful. Someone that greets you when you come home, a source of cuddles, someone that depends on you are all helpful things. Esp a bachalor (or bachalorette for those ladies reading the thread).
    Finnally solitary hobbies. Crafts, Reading, writing for your RPG (the game not grenade), stuff that makes you feel productive and happy without needing an audience or someone to share thing with. Cooking and movies are not ones I'd recomend as cooking often mmakes you want to share as it can be hard to find single portion recipies that work well and movies etc half the fun is the chat afterward for many people.

hmmm. . .all I got at the moment.
    g'luck on that

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    People need something to give them hope - a compliment, a hug, or just someone they can turn to when they fall off the horse for what seems like the hundredth time.
    I'd really want to agree with you but the ton of compliments about how great a SO you'd be, for someone else, is actually worse. at least IMH
    Last edited by sktarq; 2012-08-11 at 02:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #737

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I'd really want to agree with you but the ton of compliments about how great a SO you'd be, for someone else, is actually worse. at least IMH
    There's a big difference between overinflating someone's ego and giving them a little boost or some support.

18. - Top - End - #738

There's a big difference between overinflating someone's ego and giving them a little boost or some support.
    This page and the next. When you've been down the lonely hearts road, you start seeing these things as cliches and blowoffs.

(In fact, the whole comic is good. Not healthy, but honest in that adolescent way that we're not supposed to feel but that we all do.)

As to Sholos, while a pet is a good idea if he has the temperament and opportunity (I tried one and it was a mismatch, the guy I gave it to couldn't be happier), the big thing is to try running in other groups where he can reinvent himself. He seems to have positioned himself as an eternal omega. Going out and doing different things with different people can at least allow him to try on different roles. Ideally either in theater or something more geek-related; the former because it's all about trying on different personalties, the latter because he'll be in his idiom and thus have more reason to speak up.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can frequently hear a girl who's just gone through a bad breakup or something talking about how men are pigs and they're all terrible people and deserve to die. I think both groups do it, and it's a natural tendency to generalise to the entire group rather than specifically blaming somebody you had/have strong feelings for.
    Jude P.

20. - Top - End - #740

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    This page and the next. When you've been down the lonely hearts road, you start seeing these things as cliches and blowoffs.
    I can't argue with that. After a while that stuff just doesn't cut it anymore and I don't have any idea what would.

(In fact, the whole comic is good. Not healthy, but honest in that adolescent way that we're not supposed to feel but that we all do.)
    It's a really depressing comic, isn't it? Ah, nevermind, I'll probably check it out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You can frequently hear a girl who's just gone through a bad breakup or something talking about how men are pigs and they're all terrible people and deserve to die. I think both groups do it, and it's a natural tendency to generalise to the entire group rather than specifically blaming somebody you had/have strong feelings for.
    I also think we ought to give people a bit of leeway right after a bad breakup (up to a certain point of course). People often say things under emotional duress that they don't really mean as a means of venting.

21. - Top - End - #741

Just had a tangential thought. Find some Men's Right's Movement or seduction community blogs, and read through the comments. Then find some feminist blogs, and read through the comments.

Most people, will have the occasional bitterness-induced period where they hate on (insert large group here) to diffuse their feelings of anger at one person or a small group of people. The examples I listed above are what happens when that's allowed to fester and find a community to reinforce itself. So while the process itself is human nature, how does one short-circuit it on either the individual or self-reinforcing community level.
    Last edited by Reluctance; 2012-08-11 at 05:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm pretty much hating everyone.
    So, uh, does that count?

I just feel angry all the time. All the time. Or soul crushingly sad.
    Sometimes, I'll find myself in this pit of self-pitying, wondering what more I could have done or why I wasn't enough and I'm just pretty much miserable.

Everyone keeps telling me I deserved better, or that it will pas with time, and it just feels like it won't. Like this will be a constant pain for the rest of my life.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

23. - Top - End - #743

RHL. Comic I linked to. Stat. For some reason, watching other people's reactions to similarly messy breakups is one of the most cathartic ways to help process your own.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Well.... Like this will be a constant pain for the rest of my life.
    Step one. Find and play with a puppy, dog, or kitten. Anything you can't possibly stay mad at for more than 10 seconds even if they ruin your shoes.

Yep, this part sucks. You can hear and even agree with all the logic in the world but this is an emotional reaction. You've heard it before. It will take time. It will be a sore point for a while, but each day you'll get on with things a bit more, enjoy things a bit more, think about him a bit less. This part is what all the friends getting you to do stuff is really good for. Go off and vent at the boxing club, shooting range, mountain top or whatever and then come back to them.

in the meantime *hug*
    now go find that puppy
    Last edited by sktarq; 2012-08-11 at 06:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post

And even sooner you start wondering that if you're so great, why hasn't anyone jumped you yet.

As to Sholos, while a pet is a good idea if he has the temperament and opportunity (I tried one and it was a mismatch, the guy I gave it to couldn't be happier), the big thing is to try running in other groups where he can reinvent himself. He seems to have positioned himself as an eternal omega. Going out and doing different things with different people can at least allow him to try on different roles. Ideally either in theater or something more geek-related; the former because it's all about trying on different personalties, the latter because he'll be in his idiom and thus have more reason to speak up.
    I could do a pet, but my lease doesn't allow it. What is this "omega" you speak of?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

I could do a pet, but my lease doesn't allow it. What is this "omega" you speak of?
    If you're still at UVa, the local SPCA is (fairly) easy to get to by bus and always accepts volunteers to walk dogs or socialise cats. Helped me a hell of a lot when I was in high school.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

So... slight question here.

Alright I am involved with a girl, who is rather.. Pious. Her family is also pious. I can't be within listening distance without hearing "god" at least twice.

Every time I've been over to her house to watch a movie or for a dinner or something, I have never once heard her mother and stepfather talk about anything aside from family and religion.

She herself is less single topiced, but she too is a bit more religious than average. But this normally only comes out under stress.

Now me? I'm quite simply not. I've been catholic, I've been atheist, I've been new age wizardy pagan, until I've finally settled on a bunch of superstitions on my part. Basically luck and a few other things.

That's about the extent of my religiousness.

This hasn't really come up so far. But I've been rather worried about it and wanted to get it off my chest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

28. - Top - End - #748

What is this "omega" you speak of?
    Wikipedia knows all and tells all.

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    So... slight question here.

This hasn't really come up so far. But I've been rather worried about it and wanted to get it off my chest.
    The stereotypes about girls from heavily religious families? There's a reason they're more common than "girls from religious families have halos and wings". Parents might will become an issue, but don't sweat it if it's a nonissue with her.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Church girls are one thing. Many are, in fact, as society says (my experience is with Jamaican church girls and they throw dancehall grinding parties at the drop of a hat). Church parents? May [DEITY] have mercy on your soul. Because even though I'm highly religious... if my family is any indication, you'd better abandon ship before you get too attached. Or convert.

No, seriously, i somehow caused a "bible verses being yelled across the room" level debate by saying that I have little interest in hitting on a girl I hadn't even met yet (long story).

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

30. - Top - End - #750

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post

No, seriously, i somehow caused a "bible verses being yelled across the room" level debate by saying that I have little interest in hitting on a girl I hadn't even met yet (long story).
    Story time! Story time! Story time!
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil