New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default "A Wizard did it! Elminster vs an Evil Mage" An Oots style webcomic

Woot! Many hours of work and toil later it is done! My first comic strip! OF a stand-alone Forgotten Realms themed story-arc.

The backstory roughly is that 67 years ago Elminster was travelling gaily on his merry way along one of the various high roads between Comyr and some other place, lets say Luskan as geographically impossible as that is... Anyways! He was traveling with some people when suddenly a band of bandits ambushed him not knowing that Elminster was there, El' in his typical showoff manner fended off the attacks effortlessly and slaughtered the desperate highwaymen who were once a Cormyrian noble family long since deposed for treason and having hard times. They're slaughtered to a one, leaving only one survivor Bakurra who after having his Flame Arrow bounced off of Elminster and turned back on him was injured and limped away before he could be finished off. Swearing revenge he delved deep into his studies of magic offering his services as a mage and scribe for adventurers and mercenaries always avoiding his homeland renouncing it and his family name. His studies became more intense and obsessive and his power grew steadily. He apprenticed secretely to several minor Wizards (but more powerful then he) learned all their secrets and killed them once he was done returning to adventuring each time to expand his experience and attain wealth to fund his research.

Years pass never taking shortcuts, always acquiring more and new information on Elminster, eventually finding out that he is one of Mystra's Chosen and that there are several, anger at his families murder turned to outrage, why was this bumbling baffoon a representative of Magic and not he!? And renewed his struggles traveling the inner planes, uncaring for the greater struggles of good and evil always focused on his goal... his revenge... He delved deep into the magic learning from it, learning how to bend it to his will to shape it! His research took him decades and now after all these years.... 83 years old and of sharp mind with the weariness of time aching within his very bones it is time... for the plan to begin!

Default Version
    Spoiler
    Show

Large Version for people with bad eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Enjoy! I expect lots of feedback and discussion!

(All simularities between the depicted characters and real persons is purely coincidental)
    Last edited by Raenir Salazar; 2009-06-19 at 05:02 PM.
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: "A Wizard did it! Elminster vs an Evil Mage" An Oots style webcomic

I can't see them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

They aren't showing up for me either.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't see them. :(

5. - Top - End - #5

SamuraiGirl

Bad links..plz fix'em :P
    you have a link shortcut up there when editing :D

just copy paste :D
    Last edited by Hacktor; 2009-06-17 at 04:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Raenir Salazar View Post
    Enjoy! I expect lots of feedback and discussion!
    ... I've had mine up for a year now and most people won't even leave a comment ... let alone discuss it :) [Except when I accidentally make a typo... then comes the flood :P ]

Good luck with getting comments... people just don't understand it's the fuel for what we do here :P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hacktor View Post
    ... I've had mine up for a year now and most people won't even leave a comment ... let alone discuss it :) [Except when I accidentally make a typo... then comes the flood :P ]

Good luck with getting comments... people just don't understand it's the fuel for what we do here :P
    You know, not updating for a year might have something to do with that. I'm no brain-scientist, but I'm pretty sure you have to perpetually make comics to comment on. Don't expect a whole ton of comments over old comics, since eventually people will run out of things to comment on. So typos are the only things!

I know it's frustrating. As a fancomic artist myself, I know the importance of comments. But still, the only way you're going to build up a decent amount of comments is to KEEP FRIGGEN UPDATING!

Just continue updating always, and comments will soon follow. Trust me.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-06-17 at 10:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    You know, not updating for a year might have something to do with that. I'm no brain-scientist, but I'm pretty sure you have to perpetually make comics to comment on. Don't expect a whole ton of comments over old comics, since eventually people will run out of things to comment on. So typos are the only things!

I know it's frustrating. As a fancomic artist myself, I know the importance of comments. But still, the only way you're going to build up a decent amount of comments is to KEEP FRIGGEN UPDATING!

Just continue updating always, and comments will soon follow. Trust me.
    Yeah, but the updates but be at least decent in quality. A whole ton of comics wont win you fans if it sucks.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Yeah, but the updates but be at least decent in quality. A whole ton of comics wont win you fans if it sucks.
    I concur.

[EDIT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raenir Salazar View Post
    ....83 years old...
    As somebody of coincidentally exactly this age, I'll have to read closely to watch for accuracy in depiction.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-06-17 at 10:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D_Lord View Post
    The text is way too small. I can't tell a damn thing he says in the first comic(except for the last speech bubble, obviously).

Also, that character looks an awful lot like Vaarsuvius in her evil form. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-06-17 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Also, that character looks an awful lot like Vaarsuvius in her evil form. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Nope, except that there's quite a few poses that seem directly drawn from Rich, including the final frame.

13. - Top - End - #13

I got no email notification that the comic was approved if the links are broken i will fix within a few seconds.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chapter 2 small version.

Spoiler
    Show

Large version

Spoiler
    Show

I apologize for the broken links earlier but my linux account at my college has encountered some technical difficulties.

Chapter 3:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure how I am going to end this at this point as the PBEM encounter between my DM and myself broke down to Arcane Rules lawyering with no satisfying end.

I shapechanged to a Choker which have 2 standard actions a round.
    Last edited by Raenir Salazar; 2009-06-19 at 05:10 PM.