New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Labyrinth of Touhou - Danmaku in my Etrian Odyssey?

Labyrinth of Touhou is a fan-made RPG based on the Touhou Project series of games by Team Shanghai Alice (a.k.a. a drunk guy named ZUN). It's a dungeon crawler similar to games like Etrian Odyssey, focusing on exploring complex dungeons while fighting challenging battles along the way.

The game stars a total of 40 different characters from the Touhou series, each with their own unique skills, stats, and specialties. You can have an active party of 4, with up to 8 characters in reserve to be swapped in during battle. A huge amount of the game's strategy comes from wisely managing your party both in and out of battle: switching in glass cannons at opportune moments, buffing yourself or debuffing enemies, keeping your tanks in good shape, etc. Pretty much everyone is usable for the most part, so the game offers a large amount of customization for your team. The skill point distribution system gives you further control over your team's growth.

Characters can be further augmented with a wide variety of equipment, much of which are shout-outs to other games and anime. Besides basic stats, there are also status resistances and elemental affinities. All skill point bonuses, level up bonuses, and equipment bonuses to stats work on a percent basis, so they have a much bigger effect on characters who naturally have a high base value in that particular stat. This further encourages specialization among characters.

Battles use an active time bar system, with each character possessing a separate wait bar influenced by their speed and delay of each action. Character order matters, with the first person in your party being more likely to be attacked, as well as taking more damage from row-based attacks. SP is basically the same as MP in other games, and TP is consumed after each battle or upon being switched out. All HP is recovered at the end of each battle, but the more HP lost results in more TP being consumed. A character with 0 TP will automatically leave the party after battle, and can only be regained upon leaving the dungeon. The same goes for dead characters, as there is no way to revive anyone until you exit the dungeon, so keeping characters alive is an essential priority for tough expeditions and boss battles.

Exploration is a huge part of the game. Many floors have their own gimmick that can range from cool to annoying, such as teleport mazes, switch puzzles, or one-way paths. Treasure chests and boss battles are scattered everywhere, of course. One thing I liked about the game design was that by fully exploring every floor, I was able to fight enough battles to reach a good level for the next boss, so level grinding wasn't necessary for most of the game. The first time I had to level grind was on floor 16 (with floor 20 being the final boss), and that was only because I neglected the Eientei characters and needed more battle points to recruit Kaguya. Still, save often, as you never know when you'll accidentally run into a boss who will wipe the floor with you. Many boss fights require specific strategies to defeat, so expect to get some game overs while figuring out what to do.

The game is pretty easy to find and download if you just google it, and there is a page for the game under construction at the Touhou Project wiki. An English patch is also available for download.

The game is fairly long, as the main story took me about 30 hours to complete, not counting all those game overs. I'm currently working on the post-game content, which depending on the player can take even longer than the main game (lots of level grinding in the Plus Disk). I'd recommend this game for RPG fans in general, not just Touhou fans (although that's a huge plus), as I was surprised by the level of strategy, customization, and scope that a mere fan-made game had to offer.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Labyrinth of Touhou - Danmaku in my Etrian Odyssey?

Is this a Let's Play, a discussion, or advertising thread?

It does look nice either way.

3. - Top - End - #3

Discussion + Advertising. Since the game isn't that well-known, and the wiki is largely incomplete, forums are the best way for people to ask for help. In particular, people tend to have problems running the game at first (due to japanese name files that must be converted to English), and the initialization of the plus disk post-game content.

I might do a Let's Play of this at a later date. The amount of customization allows for lots of potential choices, but it'll probably take a lot of time.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-02-21 at 05:39 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

A friend of mine is a big fan. She likes Etrian Odyssey and especially Touhou, so it was only natural.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I fail at google. Probably forever. Can you please link me?
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I love Touhou and have been playing EO2 (to varied degrees of success), so I feel I should try this game...

On the other hand, I have enough on my plate as is, and I really don't want to get sidetracked again from beating SRW:OG1 already...

7. - Top - End - #7

Hot damn!

Many thanks for pointing this out to me! I'll have to go find it.

8. - Top - End - #8

Part 1
    Part 2
    Plus Disk
    Copy the files in the plus disk folder (プラスディスク) over the files in the original game folder (東方の迷宮). Then rename any folder with a Japanese name into English, as some computers can't run it properly with Japanese character names.

Version 2.04 Patch

English Patch
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-02-21 at 06:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Thanks !
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

10. - Top - End - #10

I think I might do a Let's Play of this game after completing my current run-through of the Plus Disk content (which could take a really long time, as this is where level grinding becomes mandatory). If I were to do a Let's Play of this, would people here like to see me do it with the New Game + feature from the buggy 2.06 patch? I'd still play it on 2.04 mode, but this lets me carry over all unlocked characters (all starting at level 1, of course), which lets me begin the game with my designated team. I was thinking of letting people vote for the 12 members of my main team, and stipulate as a challenge that I cannot level up anyone apart from those 12 characters. I figured if people wanted to vote for a character like Shikieiki or Utsuho, they'd rather I begin the game with them than wait for me to beat the final boss before even unlocking them.

What do you think of this plan? Of course, it'll take a while, as I'm only on floor 22 of the Plus Disk.

11. - Top - End - #11

Ooh, looks good! I like RPGs, and I like the Touhou-verse, even if I don't give a fig for the games, so this looks good.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

12. - Top - End - #12

I love both Etrian Odyssey and Touhou, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

13. - Top - End - #13

The patch page is composed mainly out of the runes of the Moonfolk. What am I supposed to click, exactly?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Man, if I had any hope of finishing EO2 in the next forever, I would. (I'm building a level 100 party, you see)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Intresting. First I need to ask how you pronounce "Touhou" though.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Intresting. First I need to ask how you pronounce "Touhou" though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fFyKJ3m7E

At like 10 seconds in. And at 8:53, too, if you wanna hear the guy who makes the games say it. I assume he'd be the expert.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    The patch page is composed mainly out of the runes of the Moonfolk. What am I supposed to click, exactly?
    Search for ver2.04. It should be the first link with that in its name (it's the only part not in Japanese). The link should still be working. Once you've downloaded the patch, just copy the files into your game folder (replace as necessary).
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-02-22 at 12:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Plus Disk
    Copy the files in the plus disk folder (プラスディスク) over the files in the original game folder (東方の迷宮). Then rename any folder with a Japanese name into English, as some computers can't run it properly with Japanese character names.

Version 2.04 Patch

English Patch
    I'm sorry, but I just can't figure out how to install this. Could you walkthrough the steps?
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

19. - Top - End - #19

Download all 3 parts of the game and unzip them together at once (WinRAR does this for me). You should end up with a folder containing 2 files: the main game (東方の迷宮) and the plus disk (プラスディスク). Copy all the files in the plus disk and move them over to the main game folder, replacing anything that has the same name. Now rename all folders containing Japanese folders into something English.

Next, go to the doujin group's website and download the ver2.04 patch. Copy all files from the 2.04 download into the main game folder, replacing any files with the same name.

Finally, download the English patch, put it into your main game folder, then run it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I believe this is the opening. Unless there's another Touhou dungeoncrawler RPG... which is very possible.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-02-23 at 06:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I believe this is the opening. Unless there's another Touhou dungeoncrawler RPG... which is very possible.
    I've seen that video before, and it does look nice, but it doesn't really have much to do with the story to Touhou Labyrinth besides the whole "strange thing appears in sky" deal.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Download all 3 parts of the game and unzip them together at once (WinRAR does this for me). You should end up with a folder containing 2 files: the main game (東方の迷宮) and the plus disk (プラスディスク). Copy all the files in the plus disk and move them over to the main game folder, replacing anything that has the same name. Now rename all folders containing Japanese folders into something English.

Next, go to the doujin group's website and download the ver2.04 patch. Copy all files from the 2.04 download into the main game folder, replacing any files with the same name.

Finally, download the English patch, put it into your main game folder, then run it.
    I did everything here as you said and it doesn't work. When I change all the file names to English the game starts but after 30 seconds or so it quits out.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2010-02-23 at 08:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Man, if I had any hope of finishing EO2 in the next forever, I would. (I'm building a level 100 party, you see)
    My experience with EO2 says this is a quite pointless waste of time. I got my main team to 75 and after seeing how god-awful long that took, I decided 100 would not be worth it. 100%ing the game was all the challenged I needed.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    I did everything here as you said and it doesn't work. When I change all the file names to English the game starts but after 30 seconds or so it quits out.
    Might be something with the language localization of your computer. Perhaps try running using AppLocale?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Might be something with the language localization of your computer. Perhaps try running using AppLocale?
    Why would my language localization make a difference?

26. - Top - End - #26

Why would my language localization make a difference?
    Several other fan-made Touhou games won't run on my computer unless I change my regional settings using AppLocale or something. I believe someone else posted a similar response on the Touhou image boards regarding this problem.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

This is starting to turn into a hassle that is simply not worth it. I download and install Applocale and not only are all the language options native (making it useless for me). Japanese is not supported by my system (at least I think it's japanese, four options are simply boxes).

So in other words English patch is broken.

28. - Top - End - #28

You sure the patch worked successfully? I had problems with that the first time I tried installing it.

Japanese should be the last option in the list of languages on AppLocale. It's suppose to show up in moonrunes, not English.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

You sure the patch worked successfully? I had problems with that the first time I tried installing it.
    It said it did.

Japanese should be the last option in the list of languages on AppLocale. It's suppose to show up in moonrunes, not English.
    Than what good is it?! I can't visually tell Japanese apart from Chinese or Korean. Especially sense 90% of Japanese is based on Chinese.

30. - Top - End - #30

Than what good is it?! I can't visually tell Japanese apart from Chinese or Korean. Especially sense 90% of Japanese is based on Chinese.
    Dunno, that's just how the program works. It works fine for me if I select the bottom option when running games, even if I can't read it (although I actually can).