New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Get Fit: I want a folding vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Well if you aren't really close already you probably aren't going to hit that on 1800-2000 calories on a cut. I mean it's possible but not very likely. You would probably have to periodize somewhat to get that sort of thing. Also for martial arts stuff that's probably some wasted effort on your part. Since most of that is probably more than what you need for most martial arts stuff and getting to some of that is going to require effort and training that is counterproductive for martial arts stuff. I mean if lifting is your goal those are very good beginner steps, but if martial arts is your goal, you may be overreaching depending on your natural lifting talent and what-not.

Well weight can be a good or bad metric, depending on your goals, if you're aiming to compete in your martial art of choice then you need to start looking at how competitive particular weight classes are and how tall you have to be in those classes to be successful. Also most fighters are very cut, so like if 185 would be where you'd be at to be a good looking dude, and you were a fighter you'd probably weigh in at 160 (at most).

So pretty much everything here is goal dependent. I would say though that trying to lift heavy at a deficit like that is going to not give good results from the lifting and what-not. I mean you could maintain what you already have, maybe gain a little bit from CNS adaptation and improved form work, but there's no miracles there really.
    I said martial arts as a catch all. I plan on getting into krav-maga, mma, and defendu. In that order. I've had a rough life, and coupled with my natural paranoia I want to be in peak physical shape so that if the **** hits the fan I can protect myself and loved ones.

That being said, I'll keep everything you've said in mind if/when I run into the problems you're predicting.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    I said martial arts as a catch all. I plan on getting into krav-maga, mma, and defendu. In that order. I've had a rough life, and coupled with my natural paranoia I want to be in peak physical shape so that if the **** hits the fan I can protect myself and loved ones.

That being said, I'll keep everything you've said in mind if/when I run into the problems you're predicting.
    That sounds like you're probably looking for something like "Enter the Kettlebell" or "Tactical Barbell" as opposed to a more conventional lifting program which probably won't be well suited to "when **** hits the fan" type situations, unless there are a very few specific when **** hit's the fan's that you're expecting.

Honestly if you're talking practical fitness applications you run into a wall much sooner than if you're talking martial arts fighting, since practical fights tend to be much fastier and much dirtier and therefore conditioning is often less important than other factors like ruthlessness and training.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

That sounds like you're probably looking for something like "Enter the Kettlebell" or "Tactical Barbell" as opposed to a more conventional lifting program which probably won't be well suited to "when **** hits the fan" type situations, unless there are a very few specific when **** hit's the fan's that you're expecting.

Honestly if you're talking practical fitness applications you run into a wall much sooner than if you're talking martial arts fighting, since practical fights tend to be much fastier and much dirtier and therefore conditioning is often less important than other factors like ruthlessness and training.
    I agree, but right now I get winded going up a long flight of stairs. That's why I want to get to my baseline for "lifting heavy" before I get into krav-maga and mma, because I'd rather only be conditioning my muscle memory and my insticts, rather than trying to train my fitness as well.

I want a stamina and power foundation to build on. Right now my fat is in the way more than anything else, so I need to cut. What's I'm in range of 200lbs I'll focus more on lifting rather than cutting. Once I have some power from my noob gainz, I'll start looking into local martial arts studios that cater to what I want. I'd love to fine a high level marine certified combatant that's willing to teach me military combat techniques, but I might as well be wishing for flying pigs there.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Went and did "an hour" of backstroke tonight. Who knew not doing something for five years would make you bad at it?

I also made the mistake of buying a waterproof cellphone bag and waterproof bluetooth headphones, not knowing that the connection would cut out the instant the cellphone was underwater.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rear delts watch you while you do push ups.

Really, I think that they must be the least known posture muscles. It's also difficult to think of calisthenics for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Keep up the good work!
    I like cardio exercises that have a Martial Arts theme, so stuff like Tae-Bo or Body combat.
    Easier on the joints and badck than training with resistance (punching bags).
    You can find stuff on youtube and do that at home. Otherwise find a gym where they stuff like that and join the fun.
    Our group on Monday contains several 70-year-olds and everyone does it at their own level.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Rear delts watch you while you do push ups.

Really, I think that they must be the least known posture muscles. It's also difficult to think of calisthenics for them.
    Pull-ups and chin-ups would be the ones you want. Some variety of dips also work for that.

Edit: And inverted rows I can't believe I forgot those.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2017-12-15 at 02:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am prettu sure I am eating too much or working out less then I think. According to online calculators I should still be on target for 5lbs a month if I keep below 3000 calories a day, so the stall means I am eating closer to 3500 somehow or I am not burning as much as I think.

My TDEE is supposedly 3700.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-12-17 at 03:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I am prettu sure I am eating too much or working out less then I think. According to online calculators I should still be on target for 5lbs a month if I keep below 3000 calories a day, so the stall means I am eating closer to 3500 somehow or I am not burning as much as I think.

Check how your cooking things. Oil or butter in the pan can mess that up. It's what happened to me.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Check how your cooking things. Oil or butter in the pan can mess that up. It's what happened to me.
    Oh good point. I had a fight this morning over buttering the pan or not, because they didn't want to wash stuck eggs and I did not want butter.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Oh good point. I had a fight this morning over buttering the pan or not, because they didn't want to wash stuck eggs and I did not want butter.
    The 0 butter spray? It's <5 calories per half second burst, that's the measurement.

2 tbsp of oil in the pan is ~180 cal give or take ~20 calories based on the oil.

It adds up quick.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably not butter in the pan that's making a significant difference here, honestly. I mean you might just need to be more aggressive with your caloric stuff, like your calculator might not be right, if it doesn't taken into account body fat it almost certainly isn't, and if it does, if you don't have a very accurate measurement then you're off. And if there is something it isn't taking into account, like how active you are in the day even how fidgety you are. All kinds of things. Basically if you are losing weight and lbs, then you're probably close, if that slows down then maybe you need to adjust the numbers. Like try a week at 3200 or 3000, that definitely won't kill you.

If you were I, and I was trying something I'd drop to like 2,800, even, although that's a pretty drastic drop so that will make it much harder as far as willpower goes. Basically until you're in the 800-900 range you aren't going to be seeing signs of severe malnutrition, and if you're carefully watching your supps you can definitely cut a lot more aggressively than 3,500 calories. Like I'm a serious lifter and when I was doing bodybuilding I cut more aggressively than that, and I'm not a small dude. So you're probably fine.

The best advice I can give is to pay attention to the scale, and don't use exercise in your calculations. Like if your TDEE is 3700, take that without any of the added exercise stuff, and any exercise will be a bonus, unless you really have to improve lifting performance eating slightly under won't kill you, worst case is that you'll lose a little muscle and that's really easy to get back.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So the big issue is that I thought I was eating 3000 calories a day, and my weight loss for the last month reveals I am closer to 3500. Cutting down further is rough but I will do it, just shocked to realize how wrong my food scale calculations are.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

So the big issue is that I thought I was eating 3000 calories a day, and my weight loss for the last month reveals I am closer to 3500. Cutting down further is rough but I will do it, just shocked to realize how wrong my food scale calculations are.
    As long as you're about the same wrong, you'll be okay. So if you're underestimating by 15% and that's consistent then you can play with it a lot more. The key is that you should trust the scale a lot more than your actual measurements, and also your activity might vary by a few hundred calories a day, like if you walk a mile more or a mile less some days (possible with just general movement) that can swing it like a hundred calories, and then after that you add other activity variations and you can get a 500 calorie swing pretty easily day-to-day.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As long as you're about the same wrong, you'll be okay. So if you're underestimating by 15% and that's consistent then you can play with it a lot more. The key is that you should trust the scale a lot more than your actual measurements, and also your activity might vary by a few hundred calories a day, like if you walk a mile more or a mile less some days (possible with just general movement) that can swing it like a hundred calories, and then after that you add other activity variations and you can get a 500 calorie swing pretty easily day-to-day.
    Good point. It is also difficult because I drink about 2 gallons of water a day (diabetes and keto are very water consumptive) and so my weight fluctuates wildly, which is why it took so long for me to be sure.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-12-17 at 04:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Good point. It is also difficult because I drink about 2 gallons of water a day (diabetes and keto are very water consumptive) and so my weight fluctuates wildly, which is why it took so long for me to be sure.
    Hmmm you could be holding water, so depending on what you're eating that can affect water retention quite a bit. Which can make it very hard to figure out weight gain and loss. I would just cut more aggressively until you're on a pace to lose 1-2 lbs a week consistently. Also make sure that you're weighing yourself at a consistent time and after eating consistently (you probably already know this bit but it can make a huge difference), especially if holding water is an issue.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hmmm you could be holding water, so depending on what you're eating that can affect water retention quite a bit. Which can make it very hard to figure out weight gain and loss. I would just cut more aggressively until you're on a pace to lose 1-2 lbs a week consistently. Also make sure that you're weighing yourself at a consistent time and after eating consistently (you probably already know this bit but it can make a huge difference), especially if holding water is an issue.
    I usually weigh myself after getting up in the morning, and at the gym before workouts. Making a weight journal has proved I weigh 3-5 pounds more by night as in the morning, and vary 2-3 pounds from night to night with less variation from morning to morning.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

I usually weigh myself after getting up in the morning, and at the gym before workouts. Making a weight journal has proved I weigh 3-5 pounds more by night as in the morning, and vary 2-3 pounds from night to night with less variation from morning to morning.
    Three to five pounds is about normal morning to night. I'm somewhere between five and seven it depends how much you eat and how your digestive system is working. I would do daily weigh ins and then average over the week. Like take the trendline for your morning weigh ins.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey again Fit Playgrounders! It's two days after New Years so that means it's resolution time at the gym. I figured we could all post some of our fitness resolutions here so we can encourage each other and what-not. Or at least that's what I'm doing cause I could use the encouragement.

I have three major fitness goals/resolutions/whatever for the year 2018:

I want to pull over 750 lbs, if I can manage it. I'm hanging out around the mid-low 6s, so that's a lofty goal, but not completely unattainable.

I want to hit 260 lbs by the last strongman competition of the year.

And I want to place in the top 3 at one of the four strongman competitions I'm doing this year.

So what's everybody else's goals for the year?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, it's a bit abstract, but my resolution is not to stop at "acceptable". I got into fitness a few times already, each time with an ideal goal in mind, but each time, at a certain point I was, like, "eh, good enough" and let myself backslide. I'd say where I'm now is already perfectly acceptable, but for once I want to push past "acceptable" and see what's there.

So yeah, the light-ish daily exercise and dieting I'm already doing is probably going to be enough, since I don't care about big muscles or super endurance. I'm going to fine-tune the intensity a bit if/when I hit a plateau, but the important part is that I don't want to stop at "eh, good enough".

To be a little more specific, I'm trying to lose another 5 kilos, possibly before the summer because hey, narcissism is powerful motivation. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep completing Darebee programs and see when I can move up to Level 4 ones.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-01-03 at 10:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fine goals! 700 is amazing to me, I wish you the best of luck and post pictures!

Setting micro-goals seems like the best way to get past the settling issue.

Personally I have three physical goals this year. Lose at least 70lbs, hike a 5000 ft elevation change hike, do a 20 mile hike in preparation for a 60 mile hike the year after that.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    Well, it's a bit abstract, but my resolution is not to stop at "acceptable". I got into fitness a few times already, each time with an ideal goal in mind, but each time, at a certain point I was, like, "eh, good enough" and let myself backslide. I'd say where I'm now is already perfectly acceptable, but for once I want to push past "acceptable" and see what's there.
    I think the best advice I can give (although I don't know if you want it, but giving unsolicited advice is what the internet was invented for) is to do something competitive. That way you always have to be pushing yourself further even if you've nominally hit your goals. I'm not sure what kind of competitive things you could find that would suit your tastes but that's definitely the way to go, as far as my own experience at least.

Fine goals! 700 is amazing to me, I wish you the best of luck and post pictures!
    Will do! If I make it that is. My arm was broken last year and it's still giving me a little bit of trouble on really heavy lifts.

Personally I have three physical goals this year. Lose at least 70lbs, hike a 5000 ft elevation change hike, do a 20 mile hike in preparation for a 60 mile hike the year after that.
    Those are all awesome goals! I wish you the best of luck.

So anyone else have any fitness goals for the year? I'd love to hear from more folks as well.

As far as mine goes, today I wound up working out, I did 10 minutes of deadlifting at a relatively light weight, I will tell you though that even with a super light weight 80 repetitions of deadlifts in 10 minutes is no joke, that was a very intense workout. At the very end of it I was about as physically drained as I have been from doing sets to maximum weight, and a lot more wore out in terms of endurance, just a really awesome exercise routine, and quick too.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I love giving unsolicited advice so I can't really complain about receiving some, can I?

That said, I don't think this particular piece of advice would work for me... It would work for other things, but apparently physical exercise is one of these areas where adding pressure somehow makes me do less instead of more. Also, I love having complete control over when and where I exercise, which fits perfectly with the do-at-home programs...

But the existence of several programs, spread over various levels, is still a challenge in its own way. I'm not really competing against anyone in particular, but I do feel a small competitive tingle when I think about becoming able to complete high-level workouts.

(Meanwhile, apparently I got myself an inflammed tendon by partying too hard during New Year's Eve. It's in the leg, so from personal experience I know I absolutely have to take a few days of rest or it will take weeks to go away).

Oh, and best of luck to you guys too!
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-01-04 at 09:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I love giving unsolicited advice so I can't really complain about receiving some, can I?

That said, I don't think this particular piece of advice would work for me... It would work for other things, but apparently physical exercise is one of these areas where adding pressure somehow makes me do less instead of more. Also, I love having complete control over when and where I exercise, which fits perfectly with the do-at-home programs...
    Generally the competitive part isn't the training part it's like a result of the training. So like two powerlifters may train very differently, train different amounts of time and still have the same sort of goals. Although the pressure thing may prove true. A lot of it depends on what you enjoy and what-not. If that's not an options you can definitely do the high level workout thing.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

New pictures. The left is me at the end of the hike, the right is me at the beginning. Taken about 10 ft. and five hours apart so I linked them together (the perspective made it hard to sync them perfectly).

For other Oregonians, this is at Firelane 15 (that is the southern tip of Sauvie's Island in the background).
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-01-06 at 09:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Hey again Fit Playgrounders! It's two days after New Years so that means it's resolution time at the gym. I figured we could all post some of our fitness resolutions here so we can encourage each other and what-not. Or at least that's what I'm doing cause I could use the encouragement.
    I want to be happy looking in the mirror.
    In more detail. I've run some numbers, and I can get to where I want to be in a year, but it'll be an aggressive year as far as cuts and gym is concerned. I want to refrain from spitting any numbered goals out, simply because the consensus seems to be that when you share the specifics of a goal your brain releases dopamine as a way of rewarding that you actually have a goal set. So to avoid prematurely rewarding myself, I will instead only be discussing how far I've come, not how much farther I have to go.

Some other more specific goals however.
    • Cut Soda out of my diet
    • Cut fried food out of my diet
    • Don't munch while at work (Captain D's)
    • Workout at home when I can't get to the gym
    • Increase my protein intake

I know from past experience that after about two/three weeks of no soda and fried food, I'll stop craving it at all. The difficulty lies in my being on break from school, which means I'm working full time. Since I work at a captain d's, it's far to easy to grab a french fry or chicken tender or whatever. Or fill up a Dr. Pepper from the machine. It's the compulsive eating hand-to-mouth that is too easy to fall into that honestly kills all my attempts at weight loss.

Generic Nutrition question. I've heard you're supposed to eat your weight in grams of protein, or your goal weight if you are grossly over weight. How is that even possible. I've run the numbers, for me that would be between 1 and 1.5 lbs of meat a day, and that's using a protein shake for breakfast. That seems obscene.

Furthermore, I really just need to go to the store and get some rope so I can do rows at home. I tried tying a bunch of old shirts together, but my fat-ass pulled the knot free and cracked my head. I've been leery to try ever since. I also hate that I can't do 10 push-ups in a row either.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I want to be happy looking in the mirror.
    In more detail. I've run some numbers, and I can get to where I want to be in a year, but it'll be an aggressive year as far as cuts and gym is concerned. I want to refrain from spitting any numbered goals out, simply because the consensus seems to be that when you share the specifics of a goal your brain releases dopamine as a way of rewarding that you actually have a goal set. So to avoid prematurely rewarding myself, I will instead only be discussing how far I've come, not how much farther I have to go.

Some other more specific goals however.
    • Cut Soda out of my diet
    • Cut fried food out of my diet
    • Don't munch while at work (Captain D's)
    • Workout at home when I can't get to the gym
    • Increase my protein intake

I know from past experience that after about two/three weeks of no soda and fried food, I'll stop craving it at all. The difficulty lies in my being on break from school, which means I'm working full time. Since I work at a captain d's, it's far to easy to grab a french fry or chicken tender or whatever. Or fill up a Dr. Pepper from the machine. It's the compulsive eating hand-to-mouth that is too easy to fall into that honestly kills all my attempts at weight loss.

Generic Nutrition question. I've heard you're supposed to eat your weight in grams of protein, or your goal weight if you are grossly over weight. How is that even possible. I've run the numbers, for me that would be between 1 and 1.5 lbs of meat a day, and that's using a protein shake for breakfast. That seems obscene.

Furthermore, I really just need to go to the store and get some rope so I can do rows at home. I tried tying a bunch of old shirts together, but my fat-ass pulled the knot free and cracked my head. I've been leery to try ever since. I also hate that I can't do 10 push-ups in a row either.
    Look up egg whites and milk for the protein question, but yes you need to eat a ton of protein. It is very hard to gain muscle while losing weight, and you need a lot of protein or you will straight up lose muscle.

The list looks good though! I would suggest counting macros just to get in the habit of reading nutrition labels. It will help immensely.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-01-07 at 10:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Look up egg whites and milk for the protein question, but yes you need to eat a ton of protein. It is very hard to gain muscle while losing weight, and you need a lot of protein or you will straight up lose muscle.

The list looks good though! I would suggest counting macros just to get in the habit of reading nutrition labels. It will help immensely.
    I already do. I'm still transitioning into my goals. (As in, they exist, but I'm not rigid about them).

Another issue I have is just not being hungry enough. Like, if I focus on just the protien, suddenly it's the end of the day and I've only had 1500 calories and I'm not hungry. I don't like force feeding myself because it reminds me too much of the stress eating or bored eating I used to/still do. So I'll finish the day with about 100g of protein and only 1200-1500 calories. I'm not starving myself. (By that I mean I'm not getting hunger signals from my body).

It's very odd, to say the least. There was one day where I decided to just cut fat out for the day and see what happened. I finished the day with 800 calories by only eating when hungry and only eating a mix of carbs and protein. No heavy fat foods. I ended up swinging by McDonalds for a McChicken just to bump me over the 1500 minimum male calorie requirements.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

I set three goals for this year:

1. Participate in three running events
    One will be the 12 km campus run at my university; the second possibly a local run involving a lot of hills and flights of stairs; the third is still undecided, maybe some kind of obstacle run/mud run thing.

2. Finally complete the 100 push-ups challenge
    Third try, got to about 50 maximum before something interrupted my training and then I could not find the motivation to regain lost ground.

3. Lose weight until I am at 79 kg average
    Put on some weight during the holidays, before that I was between 79 kg and 80 kg and pretty happy with that; getting lower than that would possibly put me in the best shape I had since I quit competetive swimming but would need more attention and willpower that I can currently spare.

The first two goals need 2-3 exercise units per week which should be doable even when time is a little tight, the third goal will follow from that once i have finished the last leftover sweets from christmas.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I set three goals for this year:

1. Participate in three running events
    One will be the 12 km campus run at my university; the second possibly a local run involving a lot of hills and flights of stairs; the third is still undecided, maybe some kind of obstacle run/mud run thing.

2. Finally complete the 100 push-ups challenge
    Third try, got to about 50 maximum before something interrupted my training and then I could not find the motivation to regain lost ground.

3. Lose weight until I am at 79 kg average
    Put on some weight during the holidays, before that I was between 79 kg and 80 kg and pretty happy with that; getting lower than that would possibly put me in the best shape I had since I quit competetive swimming but would need more attention and willpower that I can currently spare.

The first two goals need 2-3 exercise units per week which should be doable even when time is a little tight, the third goal will follow from that once i have finished the last leftover sweets from christmas.
    Remember with the inclined run that training on flat ground insufficient preparation. You want to do stairs and inclined tracks to prepare your heart and lungs.