New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Cloud, for instance, is a blatant copy loving tribute to Guts with an improbably sized sword and rough demeanour, but he's rather staid in his presentation.
    Fun fact about that, and something a lot of people don't realize:

Cloud bases all of his "heroics", including using the Buster Sword, off of what he knew about Zack.

Cloud is actually a massive wannabe loser that lost his memories after trying to save Zach. Cloud went brain-dead, lost all of his memories, and assumed Zach's identity after Zach told vegetable Cloud his entire life story. Before losing his memories, he was a generic guard that lied to his family and friends about having grandeur of joining the SOLDIER program, but the fact was that he just wasn't good enough to be considered. He just happened to be at the right place and the right time to save Zach, which led to the events of Cloud being subjected to Jenova cells (making him brain dead, because he's a loser).

Zack wielded a giant sword, because it was gifted down to him from his mentor, right before dying by Zack's hand. Zack killed his mentor because the mentor was going crazy from the SOLDIER program and Jenova cells (which is what happened to Sephiroth).

The mentor carried around the giant sword, not because he actually used it (he actually fought things with his fists), but because his parents were really supportive of his military lifestyle, and bought him the biggest, baddest sword they could afford. He carried it around for sentimental reasons, and only ever used it when he got serious. He did end up using it against Zack before getting killed.

But before that point, Zack would wield a pretty boring sword, not even long enough to warrant using it with two hands.

So...yeah. The big sword is intentionally ridiculous, and people have just been dragging it around for sentimental reasons. Cloud only ever uses it because he's batsh** and doesn't really know any better. Zack used it, so now he does, and...that's all there is.

--------

Cloud has an attachment to Aerith because Aerith and Zack used to date. With the events that happened with Zack being so fresh, and forgetting about his past life, Cloud doesn't really remember much of Tifa, which is partially why there's a major disconnect between them at the start of the game.

As the game progresses, Cloud starts to get his original memories back, including of Tifa, which is why things get better between them (well, that, and the fact that Tifa basically nurses him back from being brain dead [again]).

Convoluted as plots go, it's still miles better than the Final Fantasy XIII (and all of its entries') plotline. At least the FFVII series didn't go "Welp, the world is ending and you're an Angel now".
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-17 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #62

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

Cloud bases all of his "heroics", including using the Buster Sword, off of what he knew about Zack.

Cloud is actually a massive wannabe loser that lost his memories after trying to save Zach. Cloud went brain-dead, lost all of his memories, and assumed Zach's identity after Zach told vegetable Cloud his entire life story. Before losing his memories, he was a generic guard that lied to his family and friends about having grandeur of joining the SOLDIER program, but the fact was that he just wasn't good enough to be considered. He just happened to be at the right place and the right time to save Zach, which led to the events of Cloud being subjected to Jenova cells (making him brain dead, because he's a loser).

Zack wielded a giant sword, because it was gifted down to him from his mentor, right before dying by Zack's hand. Zack killed his mentor because the mentor was going crazy from the SOLDIER program and Jenova cells (which is what happened to Sephiroth).

The mentor carried around the giant sword, not because he actually used it (he actually fought things with his fists), but because his parents were really supportive of his military lifestyle, and bought him the biggest, baddest sword they could afford. He carried it around for sentimental reasons, and only ever used it when he got serious. He did end up using it against Zack before getting killed.

But before that point, Zack would wield a pretty boring sword, not even long enough to warrant using it with two hands.

So...yeah. The big sword is intentionally ridiculous, and people have just been dragging it around for sentimental reasons. Cloud only ever uses it because he's batsh** and doesn't really know any better. Zack used it, so now he does, and...that's all there is.
    Yeah, but like half of that was only in a PSP game that nobody played and had not even been vaguely conceived of in '96-'97 when FFVII was being written, by different people to Crisis Core.

In the original game it's just Zack's sword which Cloud picks up and uses from then on. And even that fleshing out of detail would have come after the character design of "disaffected loner mercenary fights improbably pretty white haired man with improbably sized sword". Which is pure Berserk.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

It's really weird to me to see the complaints about FFXV being difficult. One of the fanbase's major complaints about that game was how easy it was. People were begging for a hard mode.

If you're having trouble in any fight with Noctis you can just hold warp strike down until you run out of mana, warp out to instantly refresh, and repeat until you win. You can also resurrect yourself instantly whenever you get knocked down. It's almost literally impossible to lose.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's really weird to me to see the complaints about FFXV being difficult. One of the fanbase's major complaints about that game was how easy it was. People were begging for a hard mode.

If you're having trouble in any fight with Noctis you can just hold warp strike down until you run out of mana, warp out to instantly refresh, and repeat until you win. You can also resurrect yourself instantly whenever you get knocked down. It's almost literally impossible to lose.
    My biggest issue was constant inability to warp. Like there's a spot I know I can warp to in order to recharge, but it would take a full 30-60 seconds of fiddling before getting it to actually work. Half the time I'd die before that happened. Yes I am aware it's a basic mechanic, but I had inexplicable trouble with it even when playing with someone who knew how the game worked sitting right there. I wound up giving up a few hours in and just watching a let's play instead, despite being very hyped going into the game.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    My biggest issue was constant inability to warp. Like there's a spot I know I can warp to in order to recharge, but it would take a full 30-60 seconds of fiddling before getting it to actually work. Half the time I'd die before that happened. Yes I am aware it's a basic mechanic, but I had inexplicable trouble with it even when playing with someone who knew how the game worked sitting right there. I wound up giving up a few hours in and just watching a let's play instead, despite being very hyped going into the game.
    I can't say I ever really had that problem. I always just held the warp button in and spun the camera around the general area of the warp points until it latched something. It's not perfect, but it works most of the time.

6. - Top - End - #66

FFXV is "action paced", but it's not quite the same as what you'd expect from an "action game".

For example, you spend most of your time holding down the attack button and moving your character in the direction that's the enemy's rear end. When you're not doing that, you're scanning enemies to view their weaknesses, so you can equip the right weapon, and THEN you hold the attack button.

You can do some fun stuff by getting the special ability to play as one of your teammates, who each have their own special playstyles (Gladio is a reaction-based tank, parrying attacks perfectly and then dealing massive damage. Ignus just kinda deals a ton of melee damage to groups of enemies and hopes he doesn't die. Prompto becomes useful and basically plays as a third person shooter), but doing so is definitely not required.

Most of the game comes down to:

• Wearing the right gear.
    • Being the right level.
    • Learning when to stop holding CIRCLE to start holding SQUARE.
    • Attack the enemy's butt.

Kingdom Hearts was a proper action game, but it always has been. That's been true since before Final Fantasy X.
    Also you can change the settings so it auto pauses unless you’re doing something.
    Noctis is actually really bad, unless you invest heavily into his skydash stuff. He just dies so friggin' easily, and his damage is always subpar. His only saving grace is that he's the only person on the team that can use a sword, a spear (Ignis barely uses his) or use summons.

How you ACTUALLY get good at the game is by getting the abilities that let you play as other people. Gladio is nearly indestructible, and just straight up murders anything that's weak to greatswords. Ignus melts entire armies of units that happen to be weak to ice or daggers, which happen to be a LOT.

But Prompto. Prompto is the game changer. With him, you can safely keep your distance from the actual fight, and continue to shoot a hail of bullets at the enemy. Or fire a rocket launcher. It doesn't matter. The amount of damage Prompto does when you're playing him is insane, and the rest is just about kiting. The bosses will always target whoever the player is playing as, so you need to learn how to use obstacles to slow down enemies, and revert back to Noctis when sh** hits the fan. When the night Daemons come out, and there's the friggin' titan that's resistant to all non-holy damage, Prompto is how I win (by just kiting and dwindling that sucker down).

Once I started playing as the other characters, the game got so much easier. Noctis does well if I need to cast spells, or kill something that's flying (if that thing is not weak to bullets for some reason), but otherwise Noctis just isn't good. At least, not compared to when the player is playing his teammates.
    My one and only play through was before those DLCs came out.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Half Life 3, George RR Martin's books, or FF7 remake...which will drop first?
    Where is Victoria 3?
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Also you can change the settings so it auto pauses unless you’re doing something.

My one and only play through was before those DLCs came out.
    Not sure if it had anything to do with dlcs. I certainly didn't buy any, and I don't have a special edition or anything. They are just abilities you can buy with the ability point system, similarly how you can get the ability to gain AP while driving.

This one in particular is in the Tech section. Each character has a few prerequisite abilities you have to get first.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

9. - Top - End - #69

Not sure if it had anything to do with dlcs. I certainly didn't buy any, and I don't have a special edition or anything. They are just abilities you can buy with the ability point system, similarly how you can get the ability to gain AP while driving.

This one in particular is in the Tech section. Each character has a few prerequisite abilities you have to get first.
    Oh, maybe it was a base game update rather than a DLC.

I just recall it being announced after I beat it.

Still... might warrant a second olaythrough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

--------

Cloud has an attachment to Aerith because Aerith and Zack used to date. With the events that happened with Zack being so fresh, and forgetting about his past life, Cloud doesn't really remember much of Tifa, which is partially why there's a major disconnect between them at the start of the game.

As the game progresses, Cloud starts to get his original memories back, including of Tifa, which is why things get better between them (well, that, and the fact that Tifa basically nurses him back from being brain dead [again]).

Convoluted as plots go, it's still miles better than the Final Fantasy XIII (and all of its entries') plotline. At least the FFVII series didn't go "Welp, the world is ending and you're an Angel now".
    had no idea about that. this actually change all I thought about the game

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Half Life 3, George RR Martin's books, or FF7 remake...which will drop first?
    Apparently Kingdom Hearts 3 (2005-2018) and Borderlands 3 (2012-2019).

Although I did hear a rumor that Half Life 3 was completely scrapped, according to one of the Half-Life writers.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-03 at 03:05 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

So if anyone's interested, during the concert last night they confirmed the release date for March 3rd, 2020

Edit: Link. Remember to add the link
    Last edited by Antonok; 2019-06-10 at 11:48 AM.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    So if anyone's interested, during the concert last night they confirmed the release date for March 3rd, 2020

Nice! But dang that’s still 9 months.

Huh. I like the way Barret’s gun arm looks. Looks less like a hand. I mean, not that it really looked like a hand to begin with, but now it’s more mechanical.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2019-06-10 at 11:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post

Correction.

PART ONE has a confirmed release date for March 3rd, 2020.

Part 1 will be all gameplay through the exit from Midgar. There will be another game released - Part 2 - that will cover after that (although I guess they've left the door open for it to potentially be 3 parts).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Correction.

PART ONE has a confirmed release date for March 3rd, 2020.

Part 1 will be all gameplay through the exit from Midgar. There will be another game released - Part 2 - that will cover after that (although I guess they've left the door open for it to potentially be 3 parts).
    :O

Part 1 just Midgar!?

Shoot disc 1 doesn’t end until way later. Midgar’s like... a third of disc 1, if that.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    :O

Part 1 just Midgar!?

Shoot disc 1 doesn’t end until way later. Midgar’s like... a third of disc 1, if that.
    They stated that Midgar has been expanded enough to be it's own game (2 blu-ray discs worth), but I'm hoping it includes stuff other than just Midgar, otherwise this is going to be a 10 part game.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

I read somewhere that Part One was going to be two blu-ray discs long.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

One of these days I hope they give us a new Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy X's combat system. Despite my gripes about the sphere grid, the plot, pacing and some of the characters, I have nothing but nice things to say about it's battle system. It was turn based, which I love, but all the animations were quick and fluid so if you knew what you were doing it was as quick as many action games.

I enjoyed XV, but its battle system didn't really feel like it belonged in a Final Fantasy game.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Telarii View Post
    One of these days I hope they give us a new Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy X's combat system. Despite my gripes about the sphere grid, the plot, pacing and some of the characters, I have nothing but nice things to say about it's battle system. It was turn based, which I love, but all the animations were quick and fluid so if you knew what you were doing it was as quick as many action games.

I enjoyed XV, but its battle system didn't really feel like it belonged in a Final Fantasy game.
    Seconded. All of it. FFXV... was so close to being incredible.

As for X, in addition to the above, I played the hell outta blitzball.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I read somewhere that Part One was going to be two blu-ray discs long.
    Right, they stated that at Square-Enix's E3 presentation.

Have to say, after all of the E3 stuff for this game, I'm definitely more interested than I was before. The gameplay legitimately looks quite fun, a hell of a lot better than any FF game has to me... possibly ever, actually. Granted I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the series, so that's not a super high bar, but still, I enjoyed the combat in some of them, particularly 1 and 10. But those were just good turn-based combat, whereas this looks like an actually interesting take on an action-RPG combat system that's not quite like any other I can think of.

The story's in a bit of a weird spot where even though I don't know the whole thing since I didn't finish the game the one time I tried to play it, I know a couple of major story elements I didn't get to through seeing other people talk about them over the years, so it's hard to be particularly interested in that - but at the same time I do like what I've seen and hard as far as the characters just talking with each other goes, which can be enough there to help me like a game's writing (see also: the skits in Tales games). And of course it's Square-Enix making a big Final Fantasy game, so visually it looks great, because that's just what they do. And my concerns about them releasing it in multiple parts were mollified by, well, what I quoted above - if the game has that much going on (I don't think I've ever heard of a game requiring more than one blu-ray disk before), it's pretty clear they're expanding it in a big way, not just doling out small pieces for maximum profit. That could turn out poorly if they're just basically padding it, but honestly, I can see the argument for it in this case. I did get the impression when I played 7 that the events of Midgar were supposed to have more of an impact on me than they really did, so perhaps expanding that in a big way could help that part of the game substantially. And there's certainly something to be said about them wanting to make a remake of one of the most famous and popular RPGs of all time something especially epic.

We'll see how things look as the game gets closer to release, but I'm probably more likely to pick this up than I thought I'd be.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

The only game shipped on two BR-discs thus far has been Red Dead Redemption 2.

Anyways, they addressed my two concerns. What the combat system is and the length/structure of this.

I'm not a purist in terms of maintaining the original ATB turn-based system, but I didn't want button mashing to victory either. This system looks like it could be really fun so long as the bosses are designed similarly to the one in the E3 demo where they throw a variety of mechanics at you where you have to figure out things like positioning, which character to use, and when and where to attack. They also seem to have the Final Fantasy X-concept where different characters are better for different enemy-types, like Barrett's obviously needed for distant and flying attackers while Tifa seems oriented to juggling smaller ones in successive combos.

As for length, I'd really like to see a fleshed-out Midgar - both in terms of story and presentation - and if they have 2 discs of space to make it with I do expect it. FFVII has a wonderful aesthetic and a pretty unique feeling world in Gaia and Midgar represent this most of all, but much of that was conveyed through static background art and very occasional snippets in cinematics. Actually walking through Midgar with it feeling like a living city full of cars and people and things to do is exciting to me.

The next instalment will presumably be for the next gen consoles, which will give them more hardware power to create a much wider world in whatever fashion they intend to go about it.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone is a fan or just likes Maximilian_dood, this story he just told about how he unintentionally inspired the devs is amazing.
    https://youtu.be/OalvWEJCZBA?t=589

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    If anyone is a fan or just likes Maximilian_dood, this story he just told about how he unintentionally inspired the devs is amazing.
    https://youtu.be/OalvWEJCZBA?t=589
    I know, right? I'm not even a Final Fantasy fan, but he had me about tearing up listening to it.

His sheer enthusiasm for everything he's seen and played of the game is no doubt helping fuel what interest I've gained in it. When he's this genuinely excited about something, it is seriously infectious.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis